View allAll Photos Tagged replace

Latest shots from the demolition site at the end of February 2016.

 

Birmingham's much maligned Central Library is now being demolished and will be replaced by a more nondescript group of commercial buildings. It was one of the most famous/infamous examples of architecture of the modernist / 'brutalist' style in England, constructed in 1974 to the design of John Madin.

 

Dubbed as one of Britain's ugliest buildings, it had nonetheless become something of an iconic period landmark and thus there was some opposition to the decision to demolish the complex.

 

The form had been referred to as the 'inverted ziggurat' given it's resemblance to one of the ancient Middle Eastern pyramid-like structures, only turned on it's head! It was also famously described by Prince Charles as looking "more like a place for burning books than reading them!"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Central_Library

 

I have more mixed feelings about the whole process, the building had been in a sorry state for some years, its massive dull grey exterior was a depressing sight to many, not helped by the council's decision to cut the budget when it was originally commissioned and replace the architect's planned white marble clad exterior with the grey concrete finish that became so notorious. It also suffered insensitive conversion of the originally open ground floor into the unsightly and cluttered Paradise Forum in the late 1980s, which wrecked the original effect.

 

I remember first seeing the building on a school trip in 1980 when it looked quite different, cleaner, whiter, uncluttered and open at its lowest storey, giving a totally different effect from the mess it later became. As a six-year-old I thought it all looked like something from a sci-fi film and was quite impressed (though in later years found it less inspiring, seeing how grey it had become). The building and I were roughly the same age, it having first opened to the public the month before my birth in 1974.

Built in 1929, this 17-story Art Deco-style former passenger railroad station was designed by Fellheimer & Wagner to replace the multiple previous train stations and termini in Buffalo, which were scattered throughout the city and belonged to different railroads. The structure stands on the site of the old Union Depot built in 1874, which closed in the early 1920s. The station began construction in 1925 when the New York Central Railroad settled on building their new union terminal in Buffalo at the site, with the station being built to accommodate the expected growth of Buffalo from a city of about 550,000 people to one with 1.5 million people, and to accommodate continued growth in passenger numbers. However, both of these projections never materialized, with the city’s population growth and the railroad’s passenger numbers growth, already slowing in the 1920s, slowing further due to the Great Depression during the 1930s, and then beginning a long, steady decline, only being briefly buoyed by World War II before falling out of favor as automobile travel proved more flexible and air travel more swift than train travel. Due to these circumstances, the terminal was overbuilt and never reached its full capacity during its operations, only coming close during World War II due to resource shortages and mass mobilization of the United States during wartime. The terminal was offered for sale by the New York Central Railroad for one million dollars in 1956, but found no buyers, with continuing declines in passenger numbers, coupled with the decline in the population of Buffalo itself, leading to several services being ended during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1966, the railroad, in an effort to save costs and downsize their facilities, demolished several outbuildings in the complex, and in 1968, the once powerful New York Central Railroad, a husk of its former self, merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad in an attempt to consolidate their expenses and save both companies, but this merger proved unsuccessful, leading to their bankruptcy in 1976, with both railroads absorbed into the public-private partnership known as Conrail.

 

In the meantime, Amtrak was formed in 1971 to provide passenger rail service in the United States, operating out of the terminal until 1979, with the agency facing budgetary limitations that did not allow them to renovate the aging structure, which, when coupled with the massive expenses of keeping the building comfortable, dry, and well-lit, led to the agency building two smaller stations in Buffalo during the 1970s to replace it. The terminal was subsequently purchased by Anthony T. Fedele, whom managed to maintain the building in decent condition, but was unable to find any interested developers to reuse the building, and eventually fell behind on taxes, leading to the building being seized at foreclosure so the taxes could be recouped by the government. During the time it was owned by Fedele, the building was vacated by Conrail’s offices between 1980 and 1984, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, with the final operations at the terminal, the interlocking towers that once signaled trains arriving at the station, being shut down in 1985. In 1986, the building was purchased at auction by Thomas Telesco, whom did not maintain the building, selling off many artifacts and fixtures from its interior, and proposing grandiose and unrealistic schemes of what he would do with the building, including being a stop on a high-speed rail line between New York and Toronto. The building was then sold to Bernie Tuchman and Samuel Tuchman, with the building seeing further elements removed and sold, and the building continuing to decay.

 

In 1997, the terminal, then in poor condition, was purchased by Scott Field of the Preservation Coalition of Erie County, whom paid for the building’s back taxes, and shortly thereafter, formed the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, transferring ownership of the building to the organization. The building was stabilized and secured under the stewardship of the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, which opened the building for public tours in 2003, and holds many fundraising events at the station every year. The building has been preserved, but a restoration or adaptive reuse of the structure has so far remained elusive.

 

The building features a brown brick exterior with an octagonal corner tower, with a large barrel-roofed main concourse structure wrapping around the tower to the south and east. The facade of the tower features multiple setbacks, chamfered corners, corner clock faces at the roofline above the twelfth floor, a rotunda with large archways and buttresses atop the tower with a decorative trim crown at the parapet, vertical window bays that stretch from the building’s base to the roofline, large entrances with metal canopies, large transoms, and stone surrounds, pilasters, and stone trim and caps atop the parapets. The main concourse portion of the building features large arched curtain walls at the ends of its barrel vaulted roof, a cavernous barrel vaulted interior, large metal canopies over the entrances, and a tunnel underneath that once allowed traffic on Curtiss Street to run beneath the building, though this has been closed since the 1980s due to the building’s decay, with a light court between the waiting room and a low-rise office block in the front, which sits just east of the tower and presents a similar facade treatment to that of the tower, with vertically accentuated window bays and pilasters. The rear of the building is more spartan in appearance, with a scar from the former location of the entrance to the train concourse to the rear, with the connecting structure having been removed following the discontinuation of railroad services at the building in 1979. The train concourse features multiple platforms with Art Deco-style aluminum canopies with sleek columns, thin-profile roofs, and rounded ends, with the train concourse featuring arched clerestory windows and a gabled roof, and being in a rather advanced state of deterioration with vegetation having grown throughout the structure and the surrounding abandoned tracks between the platforms. Attached to the southwest corner of the main building is the baggage building, a simpler six-story Art Deco-style structure with a buff brick exterior, a penthouse above the main entrance to the building, pilasters, vertically accentuated window bays, steel windows, stone spandrel panels, stone trim, and stone parapet caps, with long canopies along the base of the front and rear of the building that protected incoming and outgoing mail and baggage from inclement weather. To the west of the baggage building is the one-story mail processing building, which features a similar facade treatment, with the main difference besides height being the rooftop monitor windows in the middle of the building’s roof. Southwest of the baggage and mail processing building, sitting close to Memorial Drive, is a structure that formerly housed the Railway Express Agency, which is more utilitarian than the rest of the surviving complex, and is in an advanced state of decay, with the demolition of the structure being planned to take place sometime this decade. The structure features large window bays with steel windows, stucco cladding on the brick structure, and the remnants of canopies on the north and south facades of the first floor, with a long and low one-story wing to the rear.

 

The complex is one of the largest designed by Fellheimer & Wagner, and has maintained a remarkable state of preservation in its original form with few changes since its construction, besides some damage from the years of decay and neglect in the 1980s and 1990s. Another notable structure by the firm, and one of the most well-known railroad stations in the world, is Grand Central Terminal in New York City, which was also built for the New York Central Railroad. In addition to Grand Central Terminal, the firm also designed terminals that are more similar in appearance to the Buffalo Central Terminal, including Union Station in South Bend, Indiana, and Cincinnati Union Terminal, with Grand Central Terminal, Buffalo Central Terminal, and Cincinnati Union Terminal being among the largest, most impressive, and most significant railroad stations ever built in the United States. The station, though unrestored, is still impressive, and hopefully will be eventually adaptively reused for an economically sustainable function.

The Osaka Dome (大阪ドーム), or Kyocera Dome Osaka (京セラドーム大阪) opened on March 1, 1997, replacing Fujidera Stadium as the home field of Nippon Professional Baseball's Osaka Kintetsu Buffaloes, who merged with the Kobe-based Orix BlueWave to become the Orix Buffaloes in 2006. The Hanshin Tigers also play some "home" games at the Osaka Dome when their park, Hanshin Koshien Stadium (阪神甲子園球場) in Nishinomiya is being used for National High School Baseball tournaments. The naming rights to the dome were purchased by Kyocera Mita Corporation (京セラ株式会社) in 2006. Designed by Nikken Sekkei Ltd (日 建設計), the Osaka Dome has a capacity of 36,477. The dome’s roof, “The Super-Ring” is not retractable but movable, meaning it can be raised or lowered to alter acoustics for concerts.

 

In addition to baseball, the Osaka Dome hosts concerts by big name music acts, including The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, and Madonna. On August 3, 2002, the Osaka Dome hosted the American Bowl pre-season NFL game between the Washington Redskins and the San Francisco 49ers.

The Osaka Dome is sometimes affectionately referred to as the Takoyaki Dome, referring to the octopus ball snack popular throughout Osaka and available during games.

Company Car #3. Now finally to be replaced this coming week. Thought I should model it up while its still here.

 

A 2010 MY Ford WT Fiesta Zetec, built in Thailand. Mica Black (though it mostly looks dirty due to the crappy dirt road out to the Proving Ground). A very trendy little car. could do with more mid-range torque - rectified with the 1.6 litre diesel engine. The Diesel model was to be the replacement, but this has been bumped by a new Mondeo.

 

I have now given up asking my kids what colour car they want, as it never ends up being what I order anyway.

In 1951 Republic Aviation began a project to develop a supersonic tactical fighter-bomber to replace the F-84F. The result was the F-105 Thunderchief, later affectionately nicknamed the "Thud." The prototype YF-105A first flew in October 1955, but the first F-105D did not fly until June 1959. A total of 833 Thunderchiefs of all types were built, including 610 F-105Ds.

 

The U.S. Air Force sent F-105s to Southeast Asia shortly after the Tonkin Gulf incident in the summer of 1964. The USAF operated the F-105D extensively in the air campaign against North Vietnam called Rolling Thunder. Although designed as a nuclear strike aircraft, the F-105 could carry a total of over 12,000 pounds of conventional ordnance -- a heavier bomb load than a World War II B-17. The F-105 was gradually replaced by the F-4 Phantom, and the USAF withdrew the last F-105D from service in July 1980.

 

Source: www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=311

This weekend, we replaced panels of track on the 7 Line between Court Square and Queensboro Plaza. This photo shows the 3rd rail being welded in place. Photo by Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Leonard Wiggins.

Ornaments replaced by new statues in modern restauration works.

 

---

Details

Aachen Aachener Dom

Aachener Dom - also Cathedral of Aix-la-Chapelle (Est. 796). The church was placed in 1978 as the first German monument on the UNESCO World Heritage List. Claimed as one of the oldest cathedrals in Europe and was constructed by order of the emperor Charlemagne, who was buried there after his death in 814. For 595 years, from 936 to 1531, the Palatine Chapel, heart of the cathedral, was the church of coronation for thirty-one German kings and twelve queens.

 

Info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aachen_Cathedral

 

---

Aachen - with the most important geographical feature of the various natural hot springs, the city emerged as a Roman settlement and spa, later the medieval imperial residence of Charlemagne (936-1531) and place where 31 holy Roman emperors were crowned kings of the Germans. Today a city with many visible traces of a rich history in a popular city center.

 

Info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aachen.

---

Richard Poppelaars - #art - #Aachen #DE

Finally it's big enough to walk on and can be replaced. www.glorycycles.com/dmtverosh.html

Finally I have learned and manage to replace the damaged Sony VGN-CS115J laptop cooling fan which costs USD70 labor + part. I order the cooling fan part from ebay for USD6.00 and then follow the tutorial in " you tube " step by step. There's a total of 30 screws of 3 kinds needed to be unscrew. I spend 1 1/2 hours to finish the job, but it may be about 40 minutes for the next time.

The damaged cooling fan fails to ventilate that make the laptop stop working due to overheat.

youtu.be/fHkZNfXdkoM

 

We are replacing the chain link fence with a real wooden fence and I saw online how people converted their metal chain link posts into wooden fences. I tried that on the side of the House but the metal posts are just to short and the fence is kind of wobbly. Not to mention that we are next door to a day care center and the kids like to run and push against the fence. Last thing I need is that thing falling on their heads. So I will have to actually rip out the entire old chain link fence and put down new 4 x 4 wooden posts for the new fence to make sure it's solid.

Replaced the Victor L. Schlaeger in 2011 and was the first new fireboat for the city in sixty years.

 

2014.07.25-19.18.49

serviced the spare rig this mornin, replaced the super 10 with a 15 OD.

 

Here is how the old bridge bridge was described: "Single-arch humpbacked limestone canal bridge, dated 1792, carrying Ratoath Road on north-south axis over Royal Canal. Elliptical arch with tooled limestone voussoirs and granite keystones rising from coursed limestone ashlar walls with curved limestone ashlar spandrels. Coursed limestone ashlar parapets with plat-band to base and flat limestone coping terminated to either end by round limestone piers with round capstones (replaced with cement to northwest). Parapet damaged and poorly rebuilt to north end of east parapet and to both ends of west parapet. Carved Portland limestone plaque set into both parapets with oval panels inscribed '1792 H.S Reilly Bridge & Lock'. Located adjacent to 8th Lock."

 

Up until a few years ago the Ratoath Road linked Cabra to Dunsink in north Dublin. The road crossed the Dublin to Sligo Railway Line at a level crossing and the Royal Canal at an existing masonry arch bridge [described above]. In April 2008 a feasibility study recommended the closure of the level crossing, XG002. At the time a major increase in railway and other traffic was expected for the following reasons:

 

Opening of the Spencer Dock Station in Dublin’s docklands

Reopening of the Clonsilla to Pace sections of the Dublin to Navan Railway Line

Reopening of the Pace to Navan sections of the Dublin to Navan Railway Line.

Improvement in Commuter and Intercity services on the Dublin to Sligo Line

Proposal for the DART Underground project between Docklands and Inchicore

Future electrification of the Maynooth Line

  

Roughan & O’Donovan Consulting Engineers were commissioned by Iarnród Éireann to design a scheme to eliminate the level crossing and the resulting scheme incorporated the following major elements:

 

Traffic, cycle and pedestrian facilities along the 500m of realigned road

Tie-in to the existing Ratoath Road at Marian School, circa 240m south of the level crossing

Landscaped embankment on the southern approach to the bridge constructed on the grassed area to the east of the existing road

A 70m long single span steel truss bridge crossing the railway and the canal

Reinforced earth walled embankment along the open land between the existing commercial units to the north of the bridge

Pedestrian ramped access to the canal from the north west side of the bridge

A revised signalised arrangement of the Ballyboggan Road junction

Closure of the existing XG002 Reilly’s level crossing

 

The scheme was approved in July 2011 and work commenced on site in July 2013 to be completed by 2015.

(•) – The Lockheed Martin HC-130J Hercules The Combat King II is the U.S. Air Force's only dedicated fixed-wing personnel recovery platform and is flown by the Air Education and Training Command (AETC) and Air Combat Command (ACC). This C-130J variation specializes in tactical profiles and avoiding detection and recovery operations in austere environments. The HC-130J replaces HC-130P/Ns as the only dedicated fixed-wing Personnel Recovery platform in the Air Force inventory. It is an extended-range version of the C-130J Hercules transport. Its mission is to rapidly deploy to execute combatant commander directed recovery operations to austere airfields and denied territory for expeditionary, all weather personnel recovery operations to include airdrop, airland, helicopter air-to-air refueling, and forward area ground refueling missions. When tasked, the aircraft also conducts humanitarian assistance operations, disaster response, security cooperation/aviation advisory, emergency aeromedical evacuation, and noncombatant evacuation operations.

 

Features

Modifications to the HC-130J have improved navigation, threat detection and countermeasures systems. The aircraft fleet has a fully-integrated inertial navigation and global positioning systems, and night vision goggle, or NVG, compatible interior and exterior lighting. It also has forward-looking infrared, radar and missile warning receivers, chaff and flare dispensers, satellite and data-burst communications, and the ability to receive fuel inflight via a Universal Aerial Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installation (UARRSI).

 

The HC-130J can fly in the day; however, crews normally fly night at low to medium altitude levels in contested or sensitive environments, both over land or overwater. Crews use NVGs for tactical flight profiles to avoid detection to accomplish covert infiltration/exfiltration and transload operations. To enhance the probability of mission success and survivability near populated areas, crews employ tactics that include incorporating no external lighting or communications, and avoiding radar and weapons detection.

 

Drop zone objectives are done via personnel drops and equipment drops. Rescue bundles include illumination flares, marker smokes and rescue kits. Helicopter air-to-air refueling can be conducted at night, with blacked out communication with up to two simultaneous helicopters. Additionally, forward area refueling point operations can be executed to support a variety of joint and coalition partners.

 

Background

The HC-130J is a result of the HC/MC-130 recapitalization program and replaces Air Combat Command's aging HC-130P/N fleet as the dedicated fixed-wing personnel recovery platform in the Air Force inventory. The 71st and 79th Rescue Squadrons in Air Combat Command, the 550th Special Operations Squadron in Air Education and Training Command, the 920th Rescue Group in Air Force Reserve Command and the 106th Rescue Wing, 129th RQW and 176th Wing in the Air National Guard will operate the aircraft.

 

First flight was 29 July 2010, and the aircraft will serve the many roles and missions of the HC-130P/Ns. It is a modified KC-130J aircraft designed to conduct personnel recovery missions, provide a command and control platform, in-flight-refuel helicopters and carry supplemental fuel for extending range or air refueling.

 

In April 2006, the personnel recovery mission was transferred back to Air Combat Command at Langley AFB, Va. From 2003 to 2006, the mission was under the Air Force Special Operations Command at Hurlburt Field, Fla. Previously, HC-130s were assigned to ACC from 1992 to 2003. They were first assigned to the Air Rescue Service as part of Military Airlift Command.

 

General Characteristics

Primary function: Fixed-wing Personnel Recovery platform

Contractor: Lockheed Aircraft Corp.

Power Plant: Four Rolls Royce AE2100D3 turboprop engines

Thrust: 4,591 Propeller Shaft Horsepower, each engine

Wingspan: 132 feet, 7 inches (40.4 meters)

Length: 97 feet, 9 inches (29.57 meters)

Height: 38 feet, 9 inches (11.58 meters)

Operating Weight: 89,000 pounds (40,369 kilograms)

Maximum Takeoff Weight: 164,000 pounds (74,389 kilograms)

Fuel Capacity: 61,360 pounds (9,024 gallons)

Payload: 35,000 pounds (15,875 kilograms)

Speed: 316 knots indicated air speed at sea level

Range: beyond 4,000 miles (3,478 nautical miles)

Ceiling: 33,000 feet (10,000 meters)

Armament: countermeasures/flares, chaff

Basic Crew: Three officers (pilot, co-pilot, combat system officer) and two enlisted loadmasters

Unit Cost: $66 million (fiscal 2010 replacement cost)

Initial operating capability: 2013.

 

The Sikorsky MH-60G/HH-60G Pave Hawk is a twin turboshaft engine helicopter in service with the United States Air Force. It is a derivative of the UH-60 Black Hawk and incorporates the US Air Force PAVE electronic systems program. The HH-60/MH-60 is a member of the Sikorsky S-70 family.

  

The MH-60G Pave Hawk's primary mission is insertion and recovery of special operations personnel, while the HH-60G Pave Hawk's core mission is recovery of personnel under stressful conditions, including search and rescue. Both versions conduct day or night operations into hostile environments. Because of its versatility, the HH-60G may also perform peace-time operations such as civil search and rescue, emergency aeromedical evacuation (MEDEVAC), disaster relief, international aid and counter-drug activities.

Resurfacing synthetic grass sports pitch facility.

 

This image is released under creative commons. Feel free to use and please credit www.softsurfaces.co.uk

The Mazda 626 replaced the 616/618 and RX-2 in 1979 and was sold through 2002, when the new Mazda6 took over as Mazda's large family car. 4,345,279 of the 626 and Ford Telstar models were sold worldwide.

www.hirebuysell.com.au

Taken at the Fleetwood Mac show at Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA. Lindsey Buckingham is gone, replaced by Neil Finn (from Crowded House and Split Enz) and Mike Campbell (formerly of Tom Petty's band, the Heartbreakers). Given their personal histories, it's amazing that they are still performing after 50 years.

 

Christine spends most of her time standing up and playing the keyboard. I think that she has a warm spot for the blues. It's hard to believe that she is 75 years old.

 

Note added 30 November 2022: Sorry to learn that Christine Perfect/Christine McVie died today at age 79. I've listened to her distinctive and unmistakable voice for more than 50 years. Recommendations: her 1970 original version of "I'd Rather Go Blind": www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ePBE7Ct4rw and the 1975 "Say You Love Me", the opening song on side 2 of the first Fleetwood Mac album with Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrU1Zg0wugE

Here I have the tank, needing a new FEP sheet, and the new one is laying on top of it. Verified it has at lease 1/4" overhang on all sides.

 

Note, I turned the new FEP after verifying size so you can see it sitting on top of the tank.

General Air Conditioning replaced the air ducts in our attick and replaced the registers in our home today. It took several hours so Darek and I spent a lot of time outdoors and avoiding them. Ozmo & Kitty kept a close watch on the workers.

 

Darek is still fighting a cold and called out sick at work today.

With the harlequin livery being progressively replaced, it's great to see Edinburgh buses in their 'proper' colours, just a shame they still can't run along Princes Street. Lothian Buses 765 (SN56ABV), a Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B7TL, seen turning from South Charlotte Street onto Princes Street for the few yards it can run along there, with a Ford Transit Connect service van in hot pursuit.

Limited batch will go live at 6pm Tuesday January 12th, 2021.

 

www.44bikes.com

Burnaby, BC., Canada.

Langelier Kaffee Klatch

 

The Jaguar Mark IX (pronounced mark nine) is a large luxury saloon car produced by Jaguar Cars between 1959 and 1961. It replaced the previous Mark VIII. The early versions were identical in exterior appearance to the Mark VIII except for the addition of a chrome "Mk IX" badge to the boot lid. Later versions had a larger tail-lamp assembly with the addition of an amber section for traffic indication, visually similar to the tail-lights of the smaller Mark 2 Jaguar sedan. It was replaced by the lower and more contemporary-styled Mark X in 1961.

 

The Mark IX was popular as a ceremonial car for state dignitaries. When Charles de Gaulle paid a state visit to Canada in 1960, the official cars for the motorcade were Mark IX Jaguars, rather than Cadillacs or Lincolns. The English Queen Mother had a Mark VII Jaguar which was progressively upgraded to be externally identical to the later Mark IX. The Nigerian government bought forty Mark IXs, painted in the Nigerian state colours of green and white. The large Jaguars of the 1950s were sufficiently popular in western Africa that "Jagwah" survives as a colloquialism for "smart man-about-town".

 

In the luxury car market, the Jaguar Mk IX was very competitively priced, selling for ₤1995 with manual gearbox, ₤2063 with overdrive, and ₤2163 with automatic transmission, which was less than half the price of similar competitors.

Replaced the stock rmm with this RMM from Whoosh. Much improved shifting from 1-2 & 2-3.

 

During a tough economy, homeowners on a tight budget are wise to focus their home renovation efforts on projects that make lasting economic impacts. For many, that means replacing worn out windows with energy efficient units, which the U.S. Department of Energy says can save homeowners an average of $125 to $450 a year on energy costs.

Built in 1929, this 17-story Art Deco-style former passenger railroad station was designed by Fellheimer & Wagner to replace the multiple previous train stations and termini in Buffalo, which were scattered throughout the city and belonged to different railroads. The structure stands on the site of the old Union Depot built in 1874, which closed in the early 1920s. The station began construction in 1925 when the New York Central Railroad settled on building their new union terminal in Buffalo at the site, with the station being built to accommodate the expected growth of Buffalo from a city of about 550,000 people to one with 1.5 million people, and to accommodate continued growth in passenger numbers. However, both of these projections never materialized, with the city’s population growth and the railroad’s passenger numbers growth, already slowing in the 1920s, slowing further due to the Great Depression during the 1930s, and then beginning a long, steady decline, only being briefly buoyed by World War II before falling out of favor as automobile travel proved more flexible and air travel more swift than train travel. Due to these circumstances, the terminal was overbuilt and never reached its full capacity during its operations, only coming close during World War II due to resource shortages and mass mobilization of the United States during wartime. The terminal was offered for sale by the New York Central Railroad for one million dollars in 1956, but found no buyers, with continuing declines in passenger numbers, coupled with the decline in the population of Buffalo itself, leading to several services being ended during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1966, the railroad, in an effort to save costs and downsize their facilities, demolished several outbuildings in the complex, and in 1968, the once powerful New York Central Railroad, a husk of its former self, merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad in an attempt to consolidate their expenses and save both companies, but this merger proved unsuccessful, leading to their bankruptcy in 1976, with both railroads absorbed into the public-private partnership known as Conrail.

 

In the meantime, Amtrak was formed in 1971 to provide passenger rail service in the United States, operating out of the terminal until 1979, with the agency facing budgetary limitations that did not allow them to renovate the aging structure, which, when coupled with the massive expenses of keeping the building comfortable, dry, and well-lit, led to the agency building two smaller stations in Buffalo during the 1970s to replace it. The terminal was subsequently purchased by Anthony T. Fedele, whom managed to maintain the building in decent condition, but was unable to find any interested developers to reuse the building, and eventually fell behind on taxes, leading to the building being seized at foreclosure so the taxes could be recouped by the government. During the time it was owned by Fedele, the building was vacated by Conrail’s offices between 1980 and 1984, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, with the final operations at the terminal, the interlocking towers that once signaled trains arriving at the station, being shut down in 1985. In 1986, the building was purchased at auction by Thomas Telesco, whom did not maintain the building, selling off many artifacts and fixtures from its interior, and proposing grandiose and unrealistic schemes of what he would do with the building, including being a stop on a high-speed rail line between New York and Toronto. The building was then sold to Bernie Tuchman and Samuel Tuchman, with the building seeing further elements removed and sold, and the building continuing to decay.

 

In 1997, the terminal, then in poor condition, was purchased by Scott Field of the Preservation Coalition of Erie County, whom paid for the building’s back taxes, and shortly thereafter, formed the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, transferring ownership of the building to the organization. The building was stabilized and secured under the stewardship of the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, which opened the building for public tours in 2003, and holds many fundraising events at the station every year. The building has been preserved, but a restoration or adaptive reuse of the structure has so far remained elusive.

 

The building features a brown brick exterior with an octagonal corner tower, with a large barrel-roofed main concourse structure wrapping around the tower to the south and east. The facade of the tower features multiple setbacks, chamfered corners, corner clock faces at the roofline above the twelfth floor, a rotunda with large archways and buttresses atop the tower with a decorative trim crown at the parapet, vertical window bays that stretch from the building’s base to the roofline, large entrances with metal canopies, large transoms, and stone surrounds, pilasters, and stone trim and caps atop the parapets. The main concourse portion of the building features large arched curtain walls at the ends of its barrel vaulted roof, a cavernous barrel vaulted interior, large metal canopies over the entrances, and a tunnel underneath that once allowed traffic on Curtiss Street to run beneath the building, though this has been closed since the 1980s due to the building’s decay, with a light court between the waiting room and a low-rise office block in the front, which sits just east of the tower and presents a similar facade treatment to that of the tower, with vertically accentuated window bays and pilasters. The rear of the building is more spartan in appearance, with a scar from the former location of the entrance to the train concourse to the rear, with the connecting structure having been removed following the discontinuation of railroad services at the building in 1979. The train concourse features multiple platforms with Art Deco-style aluminum canopies with sleek columns, thin-profile roofs, and rounded ends, with the train concourse featuring arched clerestory windows and a gabled roof, and being in a rather advanced state of deterioration with vegetation having grown throughout the structure and the surrounding abandoned tracks between the platforms. Attached to the southwest corner of the main building is the baggage building, a simpler six-story Art Deco-style structure with a buff brick exterior, a penthouse above the main entrance to the building, pilasters, vertically accentuated window bays, steel windows, stone spandrel panels, stone trim, and stone parapet caps, with long canopies along the base of the front and rear of the building that protected incoming and outgoing mail and baggage from inclement weather. To the west of the baggage building is the one-story mail processing building, which features a similar facade treatment, with the main difference besides height being the rooftop monitor windows in the middle of the building’s roof. Southwest of the baggage and mail processing building, sitting close to Memorial Drive, is a structure that formerly housed the Railway Express Agency, which is more utilitarian than the rest of the surviving complex, and is in an advanced state of decay, with the demolition of the structure being planned to take place sometime this decade. The structure features large window bays with steel windows, stucco cladding on the brick structure, and the remnants of canopies on the north and south facades of the first floor, with a long and low one-story wing to the rear.

 

The complex is one of the largest designed by Fellheimer & Wagner, and has maintained a remarkable state of preservation in its original form with few changes since its construction, besides some damage from the years of decay and neglect in the 1980s and 1990s. Another notable structure by the firm, and one of the most well-known railroad stations in the world, is Grand Central Terminal in New York City, which was also built for the New York Central Railroad. In addition to Grand Central Terminal, the firm also designed terminals that are more similar in appearance to the Buffalo Central Terminal, including Union Station in South Bend, Indiana, and Cincinnati Union Terminal, with Grand Central Terminal, Buffalo Central Terminal, and Cincinnati Union Terminal being among the largest, most impressive, and most significant railroad stations ever built in the United States. The station, though unrestored, is still impressive, and hopefully will be eventually adaptively reused for an economically sustainable function.

Replacing the Series III Jaguar XJ in 1986, the XJ40 was once considered Britain's safest car, and came in many different varieties throughout its 8 year lifespan, including the Majestic, the Sport, the Gold, the XJ6 (base model), the Insignia, the XJR, the XJ12, the Daimler Double Six and the Daimler Vanden Plas.

Wood balusters was replaced with iron balusters . Stair project was done in River Run Subdivision ,Naperville by Jusalda custom stairs Inc, www.jusalda.com

Replaced my ailing PC with this 27" iMac

In order to replace the PSVAR non compliant B10BLEs in the Bristol fleet, a batch of B7L/Wright Eclipses headed down from Norwich. Seen not long after arrival in Dec 2015, 66345 MV02VCY provides less than luxurious capacity on the X9 express from Nailsea.

 

After a life in Manchester, Northampton, Norwich and Bristol, 66345 headed to Leeds in early 2017.

replacing engine in 2002 ford escape. pulling motor from top

Finally replacing some of their very old trucks

When the UK MoD procured the current military Land Rover fleet in 1996, the coil-sprung turbo-diesel inter-cooled engine Defender HS/XD or ‘Wolf’ version which primarily replaced the last of the leaf-sprung and petrol engined Series III fleet mostly built between 1971 and 1984, they also had on strength several thousand naturally aspirated diesel engine pre-Defender (mostly) long and short wheelbase Land Rovers mainly built around 1985-87. As these mid-80's vehicles had a planned service life of 15 years plus an expectation of a few more years in reserve stocks, only 8,000 of the Wolf model (plus 800 similarly engined stretched wheelbase Pulse Ambulances) were procured. However by 2006/7 the roughly 4,000-strong pre-Wolf fleet was both overdue for replacement and also assessed as being no longer compliant with the latest road safety regulations. Tithonus was a means of temporarily solving these issues without buying a fleet of new vehicles.

 

There is no doubt that UK MoD got its money’s worth with the pre-Wolf Land Rover fleet, which saw active service in quantity in the 1991 Gulf War and on following operations in the Former Yugoslavia, though it was mostly the Wolf which stepped up to the plate for the later conflicts in Sierra Leone, Afghanistan and Iraq, but by 2007 the now 20-year old fleet was getting a little jaded and most of the short wheelbase models had been replaced by their younger Tdi-powered siblings. However the option of buying more Wolf Land Rovers was no longer on the table, as not only had this model only ever been produced for the UK Forces and that part of the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps designated to work alongside the Royal Marines, but once the original contract was fulfilled UK MoD expressed no willingness to support Land Rover in keeping the specialist Wolf jigs and pressings in store for future contracts. In 2007 there was no budget available to allow competitive trials, as required under EU rules, for a new vehicle fleet. The option of a mid-life upgrade for the best of the ageing fleet was, however, deemed viable.

 

It was therefore decided that around £10 million would be spent on cosmetically sprucing up the best 3,700 or so of the remaining pre-Wolf Land Rover fleet to theoretically extend in-service life to over thirty years. That figure, which works out at around £2,700 per vehicle, had to include fitting a new Wolf-style roll-over cage and bodywork strengthening fitments to the rear compartment plus fitting either a new Wolf-style hard top or canopy, and external protection bars also had to be added to the cab as well as a new paint job applied to make the vehicles look a bit smarter. It was suspected that the £10 million figure did not include ABRO staff wages and when the project team were questioned at DVD 2007 they admitted there was no money in the budget for major mechanical upgrades. The brief was simply: To repair the vehicles to field standard, refurbish bulkheads and chassis, renew all brake components, wheel bearings, hub seals and shock absorbers, wax inject chassis and bulkhead, repaint the vehicle and underseal the chassis.

 

The external inverted safety hoop over the windscreen was bolted to the the door and windscreen hinges and through the wing top and the two welded tubes which ran above and parallel to the door tops were connected through the new hard top to the front internal roll cage hoop by a single bolt. This bolted construction allowed for the top to be removed and the vehicle to be stripped down to waist height for reduced silhouette in combat environments, where safety from enemy attack naturally takes precedence over peacetime road safety considerations. Turning to the rear roll cage cum canopy support, looked quite similar to that of the 1997/8 Wolf model, but it was actually re-engineered by Ricardo to make it stronger. Marketed by the company as ROPS (Roll Over Protection System) the most noticeable internal difference of strengthening was the cross-bracing behind the cab.

 

Each Tithonus Land Rover was individually selected and fully refurbished by the MoD in 2007-2008 as part of the British Army LEP (Life Extension Programme) The project was to extend the overall service life of the Land Rover's by 10 years, from 20 to 30 years.

  

▪︎Year into service: 1980's

▪︎Defender 110 Tithonus Hardtop RHD

▪︎Features include

▪︎2.5 litre NAD diesel reconditioning engine

▪︎5 speed LT 77 gearbox

▪︎Hi / Low transfer box

▪︎Centre diff lock

▪︎Front disc brakes

▪︎Fully integrated Wolf roll cage including front external and rear internal hoop system

▪︎16in rims

▪︎7.50R16 Michelin XZL tyres

▪︎Updated Exmore front seats with head rest

▪︎Rear bench seats x2 with lap belts

▪︎Front and rear, sound proof rubber matting

▪︎Chequer plating to siils and bonnet.

 

Informed credited to - www.joint-forces.com/land-rovers/37091-mlr44-tithonus-a-s...

just north of Davisville station.

A yard along the road... two crane cross each other againt a lead sky... poetic isn't it?!?

 

Original shot taken with an Olympus e500, 14-45mm zoom lens, various post processing.

 

Other pictures from these days just here in the Supivas photostream CAA2008

New bracket for converting M416 Trailers to a receiver tube tongue

Replacing an earlier digital photo with a better version 29-Nov-23.

 

Delivered to TUIfly.com as D-ATUA (the second of three B737-800's to carry the registration) in the yellow TUI livery in Apr-07, this aircraft was transferred to Thomsonfly.com (TUI UK) as G-FDZO in Feb-08. Thomsonfly was renamed Thomson Airways in Nov-08.

 

The aircraft was leased to Jet4You (Morocco) as CN-RPF in Jun-09 and repainted in a green TUI style livery. It was sold to Ansett Worldwide Aviation Services (AWAS) in Oct-11 while the lease to Jet4You continued. It was returned to AWAS in Mar-12 and leased to Jetairfly (TUI Belgium) as OO-JPT.

 

The aircraft was fitted with 'Split Scimitar' blended winglets in Mar-15 before being transferred to TUIfly.com (Germany) as D-ATUZ in Jun-15. The aircraft was repainted in RIU Hotels logojet livery in Feb-16.

 

In Jun-18 it was transferred to TUI Airlines Belgium as OO-JPT again for the 2018 summer season. It returned to TUI Germany in Sep-18. The aircraft was withdrawn from service and stored at Hanover, Germany in Dec-20 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. It returned to service in Jun-21. Current, updated 29-Nov-23.

 

Faversham’s Magna Carta

Copies of this confirmation of Magna Carta granted in 1300, which includes the whole text of Magna Carta, were sent to many towns throughout the country. At the foot of this copy it is stated in Latin that it is for the barons of the Port of Faversham. Originally granted by King John 1215, Faversham’s version is a confirmation of the re-issue of 1225.

 

1300 Magna Carta.

Parchment, c. 59 × 44 (+32) cms. Decorated initial ‘E’. Great seal of Edward I on a replaced parchment tag.

Tann, Royal Charters of Faversham, pp. 102-111.

 

Translation

Edward by the grace of God king of England, Lord of Ireland and Duke of Aquitaine sends greeting to his archbishops, bishops, abbots, priors, earls, barons, sheriffs, reeves, ministers and all bailiffs and faithful people. We have inspected the charter of the lord Henry, our father, king of England (Henry III 1216-1272) about the liberties of England in these words:

 

Henry by the grace of God king of England, Duke of Normandy, Aquitaine and Count of Anjou sends greeting to his archbishops, bishops, earls, barons, sheriffs, reeves, ministers and all faithful people who will inspect the present charter. You may know that we by the instigation of God and for the salvation of our souls and the souls of our ancestors and descendants by our spontaneous and good will have, for the elevation of the Holy church and the bettering of our kingdom, given and granted to the archbishops, bishops, priors, earls, barons and ministers of our kingdom these liberties as are written below to be observed in our kingdom of England in perpetuity. Firstly we have conceded to God and we, by this our present charter, confirm for ourselves and for our heirs in perpetuity that the English church may be free and may hold all rights freely, fully and its liberties unquestioned; we have also granted and have given to all free men of our kingdom on behalf of ourself and of our heirs in perpetuity that they may have and hold the liberties as written below, by them and their heirs of us and our heirs in perpetuity. If any person of our earls or barons or of any other tenants who hold of us in chief through knight service may die and after his death and his heir shall be of full age and he owes relief, he may receive his inheritance through the old relief, that is to say an heir or the heirs of an earl by a hundred pounds for the entire Earldom, an heir or the heirs of a baron by a hundred marks for the full Barony, the heir or heirs by a hundred shillings for a full knights fee at the most and who has held less may give in accordance with the ancient custom of the fees. If however the heir of anyone of any such status should have been under age, the lord may not have custody of him nor of his land before he has taken his homage and afterwards such an heir who shall have been in custody, shall, when he has come of age, that is at twenty one years, receive his inheritance without relief and without a fine. Moreover that if he should have become a knight while he has been in custody, even so the land may remain in the keeping of his lords to the end of the aforesaid term. The guardian of the land of an heir of this nature, who has been under age, may not take anything from the heir’s land unless reasonable profits of that land. He ought to make report to us and if he, during his time of guardianship shall cause damage or commit waste then we will take it from him to be emended and the land may be committed to two trusted and honest men. And if we have given or sold the guardianship of the land to anyone of such nature and he then has caused damage or waste he shall loose that guardianship and it be handed over to two trusted and honest men of that fee who similarly may answer to us just as is aforesaid. However the guardian of the land has to accept a certain responsibility for the land in this manner: he will maintain the buildings, parks, fish ponds, stanks, mills and all things pertaining to that land out of the profits of the same land and when the heir shall come of full age he shall return his land completely stocked with ploughs and all other things in full just as he received it. All these things are to be observed concerning the custody of the lands of archbishops, bishops, abbots, priors, churches and vacant dignitaries which pertain to us, except when the guardianship in this manner ought to come to us. The heirs shall marry without disparagement, a widow at once after her husband’s death and she may have her marriage allowance and her inheritance without obstacle and may not give anything for her dowry nor for her marriage portion for the inheritance; that is any inheritance which she, the same widow and her husband held on the day of her husband’s death and she may remain in her husband’s capital messuage for forty days after her husband’s death, within which days her dowry may be assigned to her, unless it shall have been already assigned to her or unless that residence should be a castle and if she should depart from such castle, a suitable house may be provided at once for her in which she may honourably remain until her dowry be assigned to her, as it aforesaid and meanwhile she may have a reasonable maintenance grant from the community. However a third part of all her husband’s land may be assigned to her for her dowry which was hers during his life, unless she had been provided with less dowry at the church entrance. No widow may be pressurised to get married while she has wished to live without a husband. Then so that she may give assurance that she will not marry without our assent if she has held from us or without her lord’s assent if she has held from another. Indeed neither we, nor our bailiffs will seize any land or rent for any debt when certain present chattels of the debtor are sufficient to pay the debt and the debtor himself made be prepared to make satisfaction, nor shall the sureties of the same debtor be distrained when the chief debtor himself has sufficient for the payment of his own debt and if the chief debtor should default in payment of the debt, not having the funds to make repayment or being reluctant to make payment when he is able, the sureties for the debt may be responsible and if they should wish they may have the debtor’s lands and rents until he makes satisfaction to them about the debt which they have paid for him previously, unless the chief debtor has shown that he is quit towards his sureties. The city of London may have all is ancient liberties and customs; in addition we wish and concede that all other cities and boroughs and towns and the barons of the Cinque Ports and all ports may have all the liberties as their free customs. No one may be distrained to make more service for a knight’s fee nor for any other free tenement than that which is owing. The common pleas may not follow our court but shall be held in another particular place. Recognizances of Nova Disseisina and of Morte Antecessorum shall not be taken unless in their own counties. We, or if we should be out of the kingdom our chief justiciary, shall send our justiciaries into every county whatsoever once in a year, where, with the knights of the shires they may take the aforesaid assizes and those things which at his coming in the county cannot be terminated through our aforesaid justiciaries at the two assizes which were taken, shall be terminated by the same men elsewhere in their itinerary and those matters which by the same men could not be terminated on account of difficulty of other articles may be referred to the justiciaries of the Bench. The assizes of Ultima Presentacione are always taken before the justiciaries of the Bench and to be terminated there. A free man may not be amerced for a minor offence except according to the manner of the same man’s offence and for a more serious offence according to the extent of his delinquency, saving to the consideration of his status and a merchant in the same way according to his merchandise and a villein of another, rather than of ours, shall be amerced in the same way according to his weregeld should he happen to be placed into our mercy and none of the aforesaid amercements shall be imposed unless through the oath of trusted and law-abiding men of the neighbourhood and knights and barons shall not be amerced except through their peers and not unless according to the manner of the offence. No ecclesiastical person shall be amerced according to the quantity of his benefice but according to the quantity of his lay fee and according to the nature of his offence nor shall any villein or free man be distrained to build bridges at the waterways unless they had been obliged to do so from ancient times and by right. No defences shall be made for any river banks apart from those which had been made as defences in the time of king Henry our grandfather throughout the same places and under the same terms, just as they were accustomed to do in his time. No sheriff, constable, coroner or any other of our bailiffs may hold pleas of our crown. If any person holding a lay free of us shall have died and our sheriff or bailiff shall show our letters patent concerning our summons about the debt which shows what he owes to us, it may then be lawful for the sheriff or our bailiff to impound and evaluate all the deceased person’s goods and chattels found in that lay fee to the extent of that debt assessed by the valuation of trusted men. Thence nothing may be removed from there until the debt to us which was clearly shown shall be paid and the residue may be left to the executors in accordance with the deceased person’s will and if nothing may be owed to us by him and all his chattels shall yield to the deceased, saving to the wife and children of the same in reasonable share. No constable or a bailiff of his may take the corn or other chattels of anyone who is not of the town where the castle is situated unless he immediately pays money for them, or then he can have respite by the wish of the vendor. If however he is of that same town he may pay the price within forty days. No constable may distrain any knight to give him money for castle guard if he shall have been willing to do this in his own person or if for some good reason he is not able to perform this service through another trusted man; in addition, if we have led or sent him into the army, he may be exempt from service in accordance with the time during which through us he was in the army because of the fee for which he has done service in the host. No sheriff or our bailiff or any other person shall take the horses or carts of anyone to make a carriage unless he shall make the payment laid down in ancient statutes, that is to say ten pence per day for one cart with two horses and fourteen pence per day for one cart with three horses. No cart of the demesne of any ecclesiastical person or knight or of any other lord shall be taken by our bailiffs neither shall we, our bailiffs or anyone else take wood belonging to anyone else for our castles or for any other of our works unless by permission of the person to whom the wood belongs. We will not hold the lands of those persons convicted of felony longer than one year and one day and then those lands shall be returned to the lord of the fees. All fish kidells shall forthwith be removed from the Thames and Medway and throughout the whole of England unless upon the sea coast. The writ called Precipe in future shall not be granted to anyone of any free tenement, thence a free man may loose his court. There shall be one measure of wine throughout our whole kingdom and one measure of beer and one measure of corn, that is to say the quarter of London and one width of dyed cloth, of russets and halberjects, that is two ells within the selvedges. Concerning weights, these shall be the same as the measures. In future nothing may be given or taken from him who seeks the writ of the inquisition Concerning life and limbs but it shall be freely conceded and not denied. If anyone may hold of us in fee farm or socage or burgage and shall hold land from another by military service we will not have the custody of either his heir nor lands which he holds of another because of that fee -farm, socage or burgage, unless the fee farm owes that same man military service. We will not have custody of the heir or lands of anyone who holds from any other person lands by military service by reason of petty serjeantry which he holds of us by service of giving daggers or arrows or other similar things to us. Forthwith no bailiff shall place any man to his open law, not to an open oath upon his own simple affirmation without faithful witnesses brought for the purpose. No free man be taken or imprisoned nor dispossessed of his free tenement nor of his liberties or free customs nor outlawed nor exiled nor in any way brought to destruction nor shall we go upon him nor condemn him except through the lawful judgement of his peers or through the law of the land. We will not sell to anyone, nor will we not deny nor delay to anyone either right or justice. All merchants, unless they have received public prohibition, shall have safe and secure conduct to go from and come into England and to remain and to travel throughout England both by land and by water to buy and sell with no unjust exactions, in accordance with the ancient and right customs, except in time of war and if they should be from the country with which we are at war and such merchants are found in our land at the beginning of the war, they shall be apprehended with no loss to their persons or to their goods until it is made known to us or to our chief justiciary how the merchants of our land who may be found in that land which is at war with us are used and if our men were safe there, then those others shall be safe in our land. If anyone has held of another escheat, as of the honour of Wallingford, Boulogne, Nottingham, Lancaster or other escheats which are in our hands and which might be baronies and has died, his heir shall not give any relief nor perform any other service to us other than he may make to a baron, if that might be in a baron’s hands and we will hold it in the same manner by which the baron held it, nor by reason of such a barony or escheat will we have any escheat or custody of any of our men unless he who held the barony or escheat held otherwise of us in chief. In future no free man shall give or sell any more of his land but except that from the residue of his land he may be able to make the service owing to the lord of the fee which pertains to that fee. All the patrons of abbeys which have charters of the kings of England concerning the advowson or the ancient tenure or possessions may hold custody of them while they shall have been vacant just is they ought to have and just as is decreed above. No one shall be arrested or imprisoned by the appeal of a woman for the death of any man other than her husband. Henceforth no county court may be held except from month to month, and where the greater term was accustomed to be it may be greater, neither shall any sheriff or his bailiff make his turn throughout the hundred except on two occasions in a year and not unless in the due and accustomed place, that is to say once after Easter and again after the feast of Michaelmas and the view of frank pledge shall be then made at the same Michaelmas term with no obstacle, thus moreover that everyone may have his liberties which he had or was accustomed to have in the time of king Henry our grandfather or which things he has since acquired. However the view of frank pledge may be so done that our peace may be held and that the tything may be fully kept just as it was accustomed to be and that the sheriff may seek no perquisites and that he may be content with such as the sheriff was accustomed to have when he made his view at the time of king Henry our grandfather, nor in the future may it be lawful for any man to give his land to a religious house and to take that land to hold from the same house nor may it be lawful for a religious house to accept land of any man and to lease that land to him from whom it was received. Forthwith if anyone has so granted land to a religious house and upon this is convicted, his gift shall immediately be curtailed and that land returned to the lord of that fee. Forthwith scutage may be taken [as was customary] in the time of our grandfather king Henry and saving to the archbishops, bishops, abbots, priors, Templars, Hospitallers, earls, barons and all other persons both ecclesiastical and secular all the liberties and free customs which they first had. However all men of our kingdom, both clergy and laity shall observe all the customs and the aforesaid liberties [hole in MS which we have granted] in as much as pertains to us towards them in the way that these pertain towards them. However for this grant and concession of those liberties and other things contained in our charter concerning the liberties of the Forest the archbishops, bishops, abbots, priors, earls, barons and all people of our kingdom have given us a fifteenth part of all their moveable goods. We have granted also to the same people on our behalf and that of our heirs that neither we nor our heirs may request anything through which the liberties as contained in this charter may be violated or questioned and if any persons [may presume to commit such action] such may be worthless and set at nought. These are the witnesses: The lord S archbishop of Canterbury, E bishop of London, the bishops, J. Bath. P Winchester. H, Lincoln. R. Salisbury. W. Rochester, W.Worcester, J. Ely. H. Hereford. R. Chichester. W. Exeter, the abbot of Bury St Edmunds. The abbot of [hole], the abbot of Battle, the abbot of St Augustine’s Canterbury, the abbot of Evesham, the abbot of Westminster, the abbot of Peterborough, the abbot of Reading, the abbot of Abingdon, the abbot of Malmesbury, the abbot of Winchcombe, the abbot of Hythe, the abbot of Chertsey, the abbot of Shirbourne. The abbot of [hole] the abbot of Aylesbury. the abbot of Middleton., the abbot of Selby, the abbot of Cirencester, Hubert de Burgh our justiciar, H. earl of Chester and Lincoln, W. earl of Salisbury. W. earl Warenne. Gilbert de Clare earl of Gloucester and Hereford, W. de Ferrars earl of Derby, W de Mandeville earl of Essex, Hugh de Bigod earl of Norfolk, W. earl of Albermarle, H earl of Hereford. J Constable of Chester, R. de Ros, R son of Walter, R de Veteri Ponte, W. de Bruer. R. de Montfichet. P. fitz Herbert, W. de Aubeny son of Gresly, J de Munmue. J. Fitzalan, H de Mortimer, W de Beauchamp, W. de St John, P. de Malo lacu, Brian de Isham, Thomas de Multon, R. de Argentenn, G de Nevill, W. Manduit, J de Ballivi and others. Given at Westminster on the eleventh day of February in the ninth year of our reign, 1224/5. We however, having ratified the aforesaid grants and concessions freely concede and confirm them on behalf of ourself and of our heirs and renew them by the tenor of the present writings, desiring and granting for ourselves and our heirs that the aforesaid charter may be observed in all and each of its articles firmly and also unquestioned in perpetuity, if any articles contained in the same charter shall not previously have been observed. These are the witnesses: the venerable fathers * Robert archbishop of Canterbury, primate of all England, and bishops Anthony of Durham, Robert of London. Robert of Ely, Thomas of Exeter, Walter of Coventry and Lichfield, Simon of Salisbury, J (sic) Thomas of Rochester, John of Norwich and John of Llandaff, John elect of Lincoln, John de Warenne Earl of Surrey, Thomas Earl of Lancaster, Roger le Bygod Earl of Norfolk and Marshall of England, Henry de Lacy Earl of Lincoln, Ralph de Monte Hermern Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, Humphrey de Bohun Earl of Hereford and Essex, Guy de Beauchamp Earl of Warwick, Richard fitz Alan Earl of Arundel, Reginald de Grey, John de Hastings, Henry de Percy, Hugh le Despenser, Hugh de Veer, Robert de Tateshale, Hugh Bardolp, Hugh de Courteneye, John de Seagrave, Henry de Grey, William de Ros de Helmesleye, Alan la Zusche, Robert de Tony, Robert de Monte Alto, William de Breous, Thomas [hole]nall, John de Engaygne, Peter Corbet, William de Leyburn, William de Latymer, Walter de Beauchamp, steward of our lodgings, Walter de Huntercumbe and others. Given by our hand at Westminster on the twenty eighth day of March in the twenty eighth year of our reign. * Robert Winchelsey archbishop of Canterbury 1293-1313 Anthony Bek bishop of Durham 1283-1311 Robert Gravesend bishop of London 1280-1303 Robert de Walpole bishop of Ely1299-1302 Thomas de Bitton bishop of Exeter 1291-1307 Walter de Langeton bishop of Coventry and Lichfield 1296-1321 Simon of Ghent bishop of Salisbury 1297-1315 Thomas de Wouldham bishop of Rochester 1291-1317 John Salmon bishop of Norwich 1299-1325 John de Dalderby bishop elect of Lincoln 1300-1320. Elected 15th January 1300, consecrated 12 June 1300.

 

Written on fold of charter: For the Barons of the port of Faversham. Examined through Master Edmund of London

Review LG LED IPS Monitor 23MP65HQ (LG 23EA63V replaced) An Phat PC by dtien87 ductien daoductien - www.anphatpc.com.vn

August 20, 2012-Piermont: Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, joined by Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos, Assemblywoman Ellen Jaffee, Rockland County Executive C. Scott Vanderhoef, Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell and Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, signed a new letter of intent to U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood to apply for federal funding to build a new bridge to replace the Tappan Zee. The letter formally initiates New York's application for funding under the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) program and came after the members of the New York Metropolitan Transit Council (NYMTC) unanimously voted to support Governor Cuomo’s plan to build a new bridge. To view the Governor’s letter go to www.governor.ny.gov/assets/documents/TappanZeeBridgeLette....

Foto de estudio en clave alta.

Modelo: Laura Fernández Guerra

Amsterdam Maritime Museum, 2017

Built in 1929, this 17-story Art Deco-style former passenger railroad station was designed by Fellheimer & Wagner to replace the multiple previous train stations and termini in Buffalo, which were scattered throughout the city and belonged to different railroads. The structure stands on the site of the old Union Depot built in 1874, which closed in the early 1920s. The station began construction in 1925 when the New York Central Railroad settled on building their new union terminal in Buffalo at the site, with the station being built to accommodate the expected growth of Buffalo from a city of about 550,000 people to one with 1.5 million people, and to accommodate continued growth in passenger numbers. However, both of these projections never materialized, with the city’s population growth and the railroad’s passenger numbers growth, already slowing in the 1920s, slowing further due to the Great Depression during the 1930s, and then beginning a long, steady decline, only being briefly buoyed by World War II before falling out of favor as automobile travel proved more flexible and air travel more swift than train travel. Due to these circumstances, the terminal was overbuilt and never reached its full capacity during its operations, only coming close during World War II due to resource shortages and mass mobilization of the United States during wartime. The terminal was offered for sale by the New York Central Railroad for one million dollars in 1956, but found no buyers, with continuing declines in passenger numbers, coupled with the decline in the population of Buffalo itself, leading to several services being ended during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1966, the railroad, in an effort to save costs and downsize their facilities, demolished several outbuildings in the complex, and in 1968, the once powerful New York Central Railroad, a husk of its former self, merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad in an attempt to consolidate their expenses and save both companies, but this merger proved unsuccessful, leading to their bankruptcy in 1976, with both railroads absorbed into the public-private partnership known as Conrail.

 

In the meantime, Amtrak was formed in 1971 to provide passenger rail service in the United States, operating out of the terminal until 1979, with the agency facing budgetary limitations that did not allow them to renovate the aging structure, which, when coupled with the massive expenses of keeping the building comfortable, dry, and well-lit, led to the agency building two smaller stations in Buffalo during the 1970s to replace it. The terminal was subsequently purchased by Anthony T. Fedele, whom managed to maintain the building in decent condition, but was unable to find any interested developers to reuse the building, and eventually fell behind on taxes, leading to the building being seized at foreclosure so the taxes could be recouped by the government. During the time it was owned by Fedele, the building was vacated by Conrail’s offices between 1980 and 1984, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, with the final operations at the terminal, the interlocking towers that once signaled trains arriving at the station, being shut down in 1985. In 1986, the building was purchased at auction by Thomas Telesco, whom did not maintain the building, selling off many artifacts and fixtures from its interior, and proposing grandiose and unrealistic schemes of what he would do with the building, including being a stop on a high-speed rail line between New York and Toronto. The building was then sold to Bernie Tuchman and Samuel Tuchman, with the building seeing further elements removed and sold, and the building continuing to decay.

 

In 1997, the terminal, then in poor condition, was purchased by Scott Field of the Preservation Coalition of Erie County, whom paid for the building’s back taxes, and shortly thereafter, formed the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, transferring ownership of the building to the organization. The building was stabilized and secured under the stewardship of the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation, which opened the building for public tours in 2003, and holds many fundraising events at the station every year. The building has been preserved, but a restoration or adaptive reuse of the structure has so far remained elusive.

 

The building features a brown brick exterior with an octagonal corner tower, with a large barrel-roofed main concourse structure wrapping around the tower to the south and east. The facade of the tower features multiple setbacks, chamfered corners, corner clock faces at the roofline above the twelfth floor, a rotunda with large archways and buttresses atop the tower with a decorative trim crown at the parapet, vertical window bays that stretch from the building’s base to the roofline, large entrances with metal canopies, large transoms, and stone surrounds, pilasters, and stone trim and caps atop the parapets. The main concourse portion of the building features large arched curtain walls at the ends of its barrel vaulted roof, a cavernous barrel vaulted interior, large metal canopies over the entrances, and a tunnel underneath that once allowed traffic on Curtiss Street to run beneath the building, though this has been closed since the 1980s due to the building’s decay, with a light court between the waiting room and a low-rise office block in the front, which sits just east of the tower and presents a similar facade treatment to that of the tower, with vertically accentuated window bays and pilasters. The rear of the building is more spartan in appearance, with a scar from the former location of the entrance to the train concourse to the rear, with the connecting structure having been removed following the discontinuation of railroad services at the building in 1979. The train concourse features multiple platforms with Art Deco-style aluminum canopies with sleek columns, thin-profile roofs, and rounded ends, with the train concourse featuring arched clerestory windows and a gabled roof, and being in a rather advanced state of deterioration with vegetation having grown throughout the structure and the surrounding abandoned tracks between the platforms. Attached to the southwest corner of the main building is the baggage building, a simpler six-story Art Deco-style structure with a buff brick exterior, a penthouse above the main entrance to the building, pilasters, vertically accentuated window bays, steel windows, stone spandrel panels, stone trim, and stone parapet caps, with long canopies along the base of the front and rear of the building that protected incoming and outgoing mail and baggage from inclement weather. To the west of the baggage building is the one-story mail processing building, which features a similar facade treatment, with the main difference besides height being the rooftop monitor windows in the middle of the building’s roof. Southwest of the baggage and mail processing building, sitting close to Memorial Drive, is a structure that formerly housed the Railway Express Agency, which is more utilitarian than the rest of the surviving complex, and is in an advanced state of decay, with the demolition of the structure being planned to take place sometime this decade. The structure features large window bays with steel windows, stucco cladding on the brick structure, and the remnants of canopies on the north and south facades of the first floor, with a long and low one-story wing to the rear.

 

The complex is one of the largest designed by Fellheimer & Wagner, and has maintained a remarkable state of preservation in its original form with few changes since its construction, besides some damage from the years of decay and neglect in the 1980s and 1990s. Another notable structure by the firm, and one of the most well-known railroad stations in the world, is Grand Central Terminal in New York City, which was also built for the New York Central Railroad. In addition to Grand Central Terminal, the firm also designed terminals that are more similar in appearance to the Buffalo Central Terminal, including Union Station in South Bend, Indiana, and Cincinnati Union Terminal, with Grand Central Terminal, Buffalo Central Terminal, and Cincinnati Union Terminal being among the largest, most impressive, and most significant railroad stations ever built in the United States. The station, though unrestored, is still impressive, and hopefully will be eventually adaptively reused for an economically sustainable function.

British Army barracks, built in the 1960s, replacing some 1940s structures [ whole area was a maze of British army barracks, forts, batteries & PoW camps built between 1875 – 1899 ]. Dedicated to officers with families. British Army left in 1979 and site was handed over to the Maltese government.

 

The place is now falling apart, and used for motorcross, paintballing, laser tag, picnicking, graffiti and possibly home to some homeless people. Some quotes I've found online . . . .

 

“The accommodation was of high quality in a mix of 4 bedroom houses and 3 bedroom flats. All of them were provided with central heating, telephone and garage.“

 

“From 1973 to 1975 I lived in one of the 4 bedroom bungalows. They were very spacious and comfortable with fantastic views. Not a bad place to spend a couple of years, school in the mornings and then swimming in the afternoons. It’s a shame to see the state they’re in now.”

 

“In October/November 1978 I was one of the last UK MoD residents at St Patrick’s. The whole married quarter’s complex was handed over to the Malta Government, complete and in excellent working order. The houses and flats still had their furniture and fittings and could have been occupied immediately by Maltese families as either social (Government) housing or sold to private and individual owners.

In 1984 the whole complex was being marketed as a holiday resort – “The White Rocks Resort”. . . . . . . . By 1992 the resort was no more and the former housing was turning into an unauthorised tip, the houses stripped of fixtures and fittings.”

 

“I spent several excellent holidays at White Rocks and I am very sorry to see the state it is in. We stayed in a spacious two bedroom ”bungalow” with sitting room and kitchen plus a shared patio area and we just loved the place. The bulk of guests at the times we stayed there were kids from Europe sent to improve their English. They were off the premesis in class by 9 o’clock and we had the pool to ourselves until they returned at 1 o’clock; by which time we were nicely toasted and ready to go out exploring . . . . “

 

“I spent two summers at the White Rocks with friends from Rome and Sicily in -best guess- 1985 and 1987 or 1988. It was cheap enough for us college students back then. So many memories. . . . “

1 2 ••• 31 32 34 36 37 ••• 79 80