View allAll Photos Tagged engineer
Tangerize Engineer-class soldiers are usually those who are the most proficient with the more technological and sometimes explosive aspects of being a soldier. Engineers are often tasked with setting up security cameras, automated turrets and explosive traps. Engineer units were responsible for many MAF troop deaths in several important sieges during The War, seeing as the Engineers were also tasked with taking out enemy transports and aerial attack units, as well as setting up turrets and mines.
____________________________________
Whelp, another Tangerize Class.
Also somewhat based off of a TF2-class (guess), like the BERNENHIEMEN class I made a bit ago......
Fun.
Oct 2008.
St. Michael's Castle (Russian: Михайловский замок, Mikhailovsky zamok), also called the Mikhailovsky Castle or the Engineers Castle (Russian: Инженерный замок, Inzhenerny zamok), is a former royal residence in the historic centre of Saint Petersburg, Russia. St. Michael's Castle was built as a residence for Emperor Paul I by architects Vincenzo Brenna and Vasili Bazhenov in 1797-1801. The castle looks different from each side, as the architects used the motifs of various architectural styles such as French Classicism, Italian Renaissance and Gothic.
St. Michael's Castle was built to the south of the Summer Garden and replaced a small wooden palace of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna. Afraid of intrigues and assassination plots, Emperor Paul I didn't like the Winter Palace where he never felt safe. Due to his personal interest in Medieval knights and his constant fear of assassination, the new royal residence was built like a castle with rounded corners in which a small octagonal courtyard is located. The castle was surrounded by the waters of the Moika River, the Fontanka River and two specially dug canals (the Church Canal and the Sunday Canal), transforming the castle area into an artificial island which could only be reached by drawbridges.
Construction began on 26 February (N.S. 9 March), 1797 and the castle was solemnly consecrated on 8 November 1800, i.e. on St. Michael's Day according to the Eastern Orthodoxy, though works on its internal furnishing proceeded until March 1801. In 1800, the bronze equestrian Monument to Peter the Great was erected in front of the castle. The equestrian statue had been designed during Peter the Great's lifetime and later, with the casting completed in 1747 by architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. By order of Paul I, the inscription "From Great Grandson to Great Grandfather" was made on the pedestal that is decorated with bas-reliefs depicting scenes of two Russian victories over Sweden during the Great Northern War.
Ironically, Paul I was assassinated only 40 nights after he moved into his newly built castle. He was murdered on 12 March 1801, in his own bedroom, by a group of dismissed officers headed by General Bennigsen. The conspirators forced him to a table, and tried to compel him to sign his abdication. Paul offered some resistance, and one of the assassins struck him with a sword, and he was then strangled and trampled to death. He was succeeded by his son, the Emperor Alexander I, who was actually in the palace, and to whom general Nicholas Zubov, one of the assassins, announced his accession.
After Paul's death, the imperial family returned to the Winter Palace; St. Michael's Castle was abandoned and in 1819 was given to the army's Main Engineering School (later to become the Nikolayevskaya Engineering Academy). Since then the building has been called the Engineer Castle. Between 1838 and 1843, the Russian writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky studied as a cadet at the Main Engineering School.
In the early 1990s, St. Michael's Castle became a branch of the Russian Museum and now houses its Portrait Gallery, featuring official portraits of the Russian Emperors and Empresses and various dignitaries and celebrities from the late 17th to the early 20th century.
Wiki.
More than two decades ago I was in Berea watching trains when an eastbound CSX manifest freight stopped to wait on traffic ahead. The locomotive engineer invited me to come up to the cab to get some photographs. He poses for a photo. I believe his name was Michael Lewis. (Scanned from color negative film)
In order to bring an empty train back west this pair of coal motors heads down to the junction with the Wayzata Sub and a trip around the wye. March 1, 1992.
Three of our ’16 rowers are making history with the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth! 2016 marks the first time a US national research university's graduating class of engineering undergraduates is over 50% female.
Repost @dartmouthrowing.
Veteran Engineer J.C is at the helm of 4777, bringing 589 into Arnprior with cars for Nylene. John has called Ottawa his home terminal for years, working through both the CN and OCR eras, and he still takes pride in his work to this day
Mechanical engineer Norman E. 1948 Norman E. Timbs Buick Streamliner
Timbs created this dramatic streamliner in the 1940s. He designed the project himself which included a custom aluminum body and steel chassis.
The car was based around a 1947 Buick “Super 8” engine which powered the 2200 lb car to 120 mph. The main chassis was built up from five-inch steel tubes which kicked up over the rear axle. To offer a smooth ride, a modified 1947 Ford suspension was utilized.
Road & Track reported that it took Mr Timbs 2 1/2 years to create the car at a cost of $10,000 USD. The body was created entirely in aluminum by Emil Diedt for $8,000 alone. The shape was formed by hand over a traditional wooden buck.
Engine: Buick Inline-8
Power: 149.1 kw / 200 bhp
bhp/weight: 191.57 bhp per tonne
Body/frame: Aluminum over Steel Tube Chassis
Driven wheels: RWD
Suspension: De Dion-Type Tube Axle w/Transverse Leaf Spring, Tubular Shock Absorbers
Weight: 1044 kg / 2300 lbs
Wheelbase: 2921.0 mm / 115 in
Height: 990.6 mm / 39 in
Information from www.supercars.net/cars/4688.html
Aerospace engineer Katya Casper has become known for her innovative techniques measuring the effects of pressure on hypersonic vehicles at Sandia National Laboratories wind tunnels.
Learn more at share-ng.sandia.gov/news/resources/news_releases/hyperson...
Photo by Randy Montoya.
Having ran down empty the previous evening, 66702 Blue Lightning returns leading 6G49 London Euston to Bescot Up Engineers Sidings with a rake of sleeps and rails onboard the flats.
So I decided to paint this piece today, weather has been so mild, couldn't resist one last paint of 2011. Especially as I have been ill for last week and a half. Anyway it's one of my pages from my Exotic Slaughter comic, altered the composition to fit the landscape shape, but it's a German Night Moth, genetically engineered monstrosity, after downing an enemy airship!.... obviously...
Paris / Champs Élysées - Eiffelturm vom Trocadero gesehen
The Eiffel Tower (/ˈaɪfəl/ EYE-fəl; French: Tour Eiffel [tuʁ ɛfɛl is a lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower from 1887 to 1889.
Locally nicknamed "La dame de fer" (French for "Iron Lady") for its use of wrought iron, it was constructed as the centrepiece of the 1889 World's Fair, and to crown the centennial anniversary of the French Revolution. Although initially criticised by some of France's leading artists and intellectuals for its design, it has since become a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognisable structures in the world. The tower received 5,889,000 visitors in 2022. The Eiffel Tower is the most visited monument with an entrance fee in the world: 6.91 million people ascended it in 2015. It was designated a monument historique in 1964, and was named part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site ("Paris, Banks of the Seine") in 1991.
The tower is 330 metres (1,083 ft) tall, about the same height as an 81-storey building, and the tallest structure in Paris. Its base is square, measuring 125 metres (410 ft) on each side. During its construction, the Eiffel Tower surpassed the Washington Monument to become by far the tallest human-made structure in the world, a title it held for 41 years until the Chrysler Building in New York City was finished in 1930. It was the first structure in the world to surpass both the 200-metre and 300-metre mark in height. Due to the addition of a broadcasting aerial at the top of the tower in 1957, it is now taller than the Chrysler Building by 5.2 metres (17 ft). Excluding transmitters, the Eiffel Tower is the second tallest free-standing structure in France after the Millau Viaduct.
The tower has three levels for visitors, with restaurants on the first and second levels. The top level's upper platform is 276 m (906 ft) above the ground—the highest public observation deck in the European Union. Tickets can be purchased to ascend by stairs or lift to the first and second levels. The climb from ground level to the first level is over 300 steps, as is the climb from the first level to the second, making the entire ascent a 600-step climb. Although there is a staircase to the top level, it is usually accessible only by lift. On this top, third level, is a private apartment built for Gustave Eiffel, who decorated it with furniture made by Jean Lachaise and invited friends such as Thomas Edison.
History
Origin
The design of the Eiffel Tower is attributed to Maurice Koechlin and Émile Nouguier, two senior engineers working for the Compagnie des Établissements Eiffel. It was envisaged after discussion about a suitable centrepiece for the proposed 1889 Exposition Universelle, a world's fair to celebrate the centennial of the French Revolution. In May 1884, working at home, Koechlin made a sketch of their idea, described by him as "a great pylon, consisting of four lattice girders standing apart at the base and coming together at the top, joined together by metal trusses at regular intervals". Eiffel initially showed little enthusiasm, but he did approve further study, and the two engineers then asked Stephen Sauvestre, the head of the company's architectural department, to contribute to the design. Sauvestre added decorative arches to the base of the tower, a glass pavilion to the first level, and other embellishments.
The new version gained Eiffel's support: he bought the rights to the patent on the design which Koechlin, Nouguier, and Sauvestre had taken out, and the design was put on display at the Exhibition of Decorative Arts in the autumn of 1884 under the company name. On 30 March 1885, Eiffel presented his plans to the Société des Ingénieurs Civils; after discussing the technical problems and emphasising the practical uses of the tower, he finished his talk by saying the tower would symbolise
[n]ot only the art of the modern engineer, but also the century of Industry and Science in which we are living, and for which the way was prepared by the great scientific movement of the eighteenth century and by the Revolution of 1789, to which this monument will be built as an expression of France's gratitude.
Little progress was made until 1886, when Jules Grévy was re-elected as president of France and Édouard Lockroy was appointed as minister for trade. A budget for the exposition was passed and, on 1 May, Lockroy announced an alteration to the terms of the open competition being held for a centrepiece to the exposition, which effectively made the selection of Eiffel's design a foregone conclusion, as entries had to include a study for a 300 m (980 ft) four-sided metal tower on the Champ de Mars. (A 300-metre tower was then considered a herculean engineering effort.) On 12 May, a commission was set up to examine Eiffel's scheme and its rivals, which, a month later, decided that all the proposals except Eiffel's were either impractical or lacking in details.
After some debate about the exact location of the tower, a contract was signed on 8 January 1887. Eiffel signed it acting in his own capacity rather than as the representative of his company, the contract granting him 1.5 million francs toward the construction costs: less than a quarter of the estimated 6.5 million francs. Eiffel was to receive all income from the commercial exploitation of the tower during the exhibition and for the next 20 years. He later established a separate company to manage the tower, putting up half the necessary capital himself.
A French bank, the Crédit Industriel et Commercial (CIC), helped finance the construction of the Eiffel Tower. During the period of the tower's construction, the CIC was acquiring funds from predatory loans to the National Bank of Haiti, some of which went towards the financing of the tower. These loans were connected to an indemnity controversy that saw France force Haiti's government to financially compensate French slaveowners for lost income as a result of the Haitian Revolution, and required Haiti to pay the CIC and its partner nearly half of all taxes collected on exports, "effectively choking off the nation's primary source of income". According to The New York Times, "[at] a time when the [CIC] was helping finance one of the world's best-known landmarks, the Eiffel Tower, as a monument to French liberty, it was choking Haiti's economy, taking much of the young nation's income back to Paris and impairing its ability to start schools, hospitals and the other building blocks of an independent country."
Artists' protest
The proposed tower had been a subject of controversy, drawing criticism from those who did not believe it was feasible and those who objected on artistic grounds. Prior to the Eiffel Tower's construction, no structure had ever been constructed to a height of 300 m, or even 200 m for that matter, and many people believed it was impossible. These objections were an expression of a long-standing debate in France about the relationship between architecture and engineering. It came to a head as work began at the Champ de Mars: a "Committee of Three Hundred" (one member for each metre of the tower's height) was formed, led by the prominent architect Charles Garnier and including some of the most important figures of the arts, such as William-Adolphe Bouguereau, Guy de Maupassant, Charles Gounod and Jules Massenet. A petition called "Artists against the Eiffel Tower" was sent to the Minister of Works and Commissioner for the Exposition, Adolphe Alphand, and it was published by Le Temps on 14 February 1887:
We, writers, painters, sculptors, architects and passionate devotees of the hitherto untouched beauty of Paris, protest with all our strength, with all our indignation in the name of slighted French taste, against the erection ... of this useless and monstrous Eiffel Tower ... To bring our arguments home, imagine for a moment a giddy, ridiculous tower dominating Paris like a gigantic black smokestack, crushing under its barbaric bulk Notre Dame, the Tour Saint-Jacques, the Louvre, the Dome of les Invalides, the Arc de Triomphe, all of our humiliated monuments will disappear in this ghastly dream. And for twenty years ... we shall see stretching like a blot of ink the hateful shadow of the hateful column of bolted sheet metal.
Gustave Eiffel responded to these criticisms by comparing his tower to the Egyptian pyramids: "My tower will be the tallest edifice ever erected by man. Will it not also be grandiose in its way? And why would something admirable in Egypt become hideous and ridiculous in Paris?" These criticisms were also dealt with by Édouard Lockroy in a letter of support written to Alphand, sardonically saying, "Judging by the stately swell of the rhythms, the beauty of the metaphors, the elegance of its delicate and precise style, one can tell this protest is the result of collaboration of the most famous writers and poets of our time", and he explained that the protest was irrelevant since the project had been decided upon months before, and construction on the tower was already under way.
Garnier was a member of the Tower Commission that had examined the various proposals, and had raised no objection. Eiffel pointed out to a journalist that it was premature to judge the effect of the tower solely on the basis of the drawings, that the Champ de Mars was distant enough from the monuments mentioned in the protest for there to be little risk of the tower overwhelming them, and putting the aesthetic argument for the tower: "Do not the laws of natural forces always conform to the secret laws of harmony?"
Some of the protesters changed their minds when the tower was built; others remained unconvinced. Guy de Maupassant supposedly ate lunch in the tower's restaurant every day because it was the one place in Paris where the tower was not visible.
By 1918, it had become a symbol of Paris and of France after Guillaume Apollinaire wrote a nationalist poem in the shape of the tower (a calligram) to express his feelings about the war against Germany. Today, it is widely considered to be a remarkable piece of structural art, and is often featured in films and literature.
Construction
Work on the foundations started on 28 January 1887. Those for the east and south legs were straightforward, with each leg resting on four 2 m (6.6 ft) concrete slabs, one for each of the principal girders of each leg. The west and north legs, being closer to the river Seine, were more complicated: each slab needed two piles installed by using compressed-air caissons 15 m (49 ft) long and 6 m (20 ft) in diameter driven to a depth of 22 m (72 ft) to support the concrete slabs, which were 6 m (20 ft) thick. Each of these slabs supported a block of limestone with an inclined top to bear a supporting shoe for the ironwork.
Each shoe was anchored to the stonework by a pair of bolts 10 cm (4 in) in diameter and 7.5 m (25 ft) long. The foundations were completed on 30 June, and the erection of the ironwork began. The visible work on-site was complemented by the enormous amount of exacting preparatory work that took place behind the scenes: the drawing office produced 1,700 general drawings and 3,629 detailed drawings of the 18,038 different parts needed. The task of drawing the components was complicated by the complex angles involved in the design and the degree of precision required: the position of rivet holes was specified to within 1 mm (0.04 in) and angles worked out to one second of arc. The finished components, some already riveted together into sub-assemblies, arrived on horse-drawn carts from a factory in the nearby Parisian suburb of Levallois-Perret and were first bolted together, with the bolts being replaced with rivets as construction progressed. No drilling or shaping was done on site: if any part did not fit, it was sent back to the factory for alteration. In all, 18,038 pieces were joined using 2.5 million rivets.
At first, the legs were constructed as cantilevers, but about halfway to the first level construction was paused to create a substantial timber scaffold. This renewed concerns about the structural integrity of the tower, and sensational headlines such as "Eiffel Suicide!" and "Gustave Eiffel Has Gone Mad: He Has Been Confined in an Asylum" appeared in the tabloid press. Multiple famous artists of that time, Charles Garnier and Alexandre Dumas, thought poorly of the newly made tower. Charles Garnier thought it was a "truly tragic street lamp". Alexandre Dumas said that it was like "Odius shadow of the odious column built of rivets and iron plates extending like a black blot". There were multiple protests over the style and the reasoning of placing it in the middle of Paris. At this stage, a small "creeper" crane designed to move up the tower was installed in each leg. They made use of the guides for the lifts which were to be fitted in the four legs. The critical stage of joining the legs at the first level was completed by the end of March 1888. Although the metalwork had been prepared with the utmost attention to detail, provision had been made to carry out small adjustments to precisely align the legs; hydraulic jacks were fitted to the shoes at the base of each leg, capable of exerting a force of 800 tonnes, and the legs were intentionally constructed at a slightly steeper angle than necessary, being supported by sandboxes on the scaffold. Although construction involved 300 on-site employees, due to Eiffel's safety precautions and the use of movable gangways, guardrails and screens, only one person died.
Inauguration and the 1889 exposition
The main structural work was completed at the end of March 1889 and, on 31 March, Eiffel celebrated by leading a group of government officials, accompanied by representatives of the press, to the top of the tower. Because the lifts were not yet in operation, the ascent was made by foot, and took over an hour, with Eiffel stopping frequently to explain various features. Most of the party chose to stop at the lower levels, but a few, including the structural engineer, Émile Nouguier, the head of construction, Jean Compagnon, the President of the City Council, and reporters from Le Figaro and Le Monde Illustré, completed the ascent. At 2:35 pm, Eiffel hoisted a large Tricolour to the accompaniment of a 25-gun salute fired at the first level.
There was still work to be done, particularly on the lifts and facilities, and the tower was not opened to the public until nine days after the opening of the exposition on 6 May; even then, the lifts had not been completed. The tower was an instant success with the public, and nearly 30,000 visitors made the 1,710-step climb to the top before the lifts entered service on 26 May. Tickets cost 2 francs for the first level, 3 for the second, and 5 for the top, with half-price admission on Sundays, and by the end of the exhibition there had been 1,896,987 visitors.
After dark, the tower was lit by hundreds of gas lamps, and a beacon sent out three beams of red, white and blue light. Two searchlights mounted on a circular rail were used to illuminate various buildings of the exposition. The daily opening and closing of the exposition were announced by a cannon at the top.
On the second level, the French newspaper Le Figaro had an office and a printing press, where a special souvenir edition, Le Figaro de la Tour, was made.
At the top, there was a post office where visitors could send letters and postcards as a memento of their visit. Graffitists were also catered for: sheets of paper were mounted on the walls each day for visitors to record their impressions of the tower. Gustave Eiffel described the collection of responses as "truly curious".
Famous visitors to the tower included the Prince of Wales, Sarah Bernhardt, "Buffalo Bill" Cody (his Wild West show was an attraction at the exposition) and Thomas Edison. Eiffel invited Edison to his private apartment at the top of the tower, where Edison presented him with one of his phonographs, a new invention and one of the many highlights of the exposition. Edison signed the guestbook with this message on September 10, 1889:
To M Eiffel the Engineer the brave builder of so gigantic and original specimen of modern Engineering from one who has the greatest respect and admiration for all Engineers including the Great Engineer the Bon Dieu, Thomas Edison.
Eiffel made use of his apartment at the top of the tower to carry out meteorological observations, and also used the tower to perform experiments on the action of air resistance on falling bodies.
Subsequent events
Eiffel had a permit for the tower to stand for 20 years. It was to be dismantled in 1909, when its ownership would revert to the City of Paris. The city had planned to tear it down (part of the original contest rules for designing a tower was that it should be easy to dismantle) but as the tower proved to be valuable for many innovations in the early 20th century, particularly radio telegraphy, it was allowed to remain after the expiry of the permit, and from 1910 it also became part of the International Time Service.
For the 1900 Exposition Universelle, the lifts in the east and west legs were replaced by lifts running as far as the second level constructed by the French firm Fives-Lille. These had a compensating mechanism to keep the floor level as the angle of ascent changed at the first level, and were driven by a similar hydraulic mechanism as the Otis lifts, although this was situated at the base of the tower. Hydraulic pressure was provided by pressurised accumulators located near this mechanism. At the same time the lift in the north pillar was removed and replaced by a staircase to the first level. The layout of both first and second levels was modified. The original lift in the south pillar was removed 13 years later.
On 19 October 1901, Alberto Santos-Dumont, flying his No.6 airship, won a 100,000-franc prize offered by Henri Deutsch de la Meurthe for the first person to make a flight from St. Cloud to the Eiffel Tower and back in less than half an hour.
From 1910, the astronomical clocks of the Paris Observatory sent the time to sea daily through the Eiffel Tower within a radius of 5 000 km. The development of wireless telegraphy allowed unifying Universal Time. On 9 March 1911, France adopted Greenwich Mean Time by law. However, the law did not refer to Greenwich Prime Meridian, but to the local mean time of Paris delayed by 9 minutes and 21 seconds. In 1912, following a report by Gustave Ferrié, the Bureau des Longitudes organized at the Paris Observatory a Conférence internationale de l'heure radiotélégraphique (International Radiotelegraph Time Conference). The International Time Bureau was created and installed in the premises of the Paris Observatory. However, due to World War I, the International Convention was never ratified. In 1919, the existence of the International Time Bureau was formalized under the authority of an International Time Commission, under the aegis of the International Astronomical Union, created by Benjamin Baillaud.
In 1910, Father Theodor Wulf measured radiant energy at the top and bottom of the tower. He found more at the top than expected, incidentally discovering what are known today as cosmic rays. Two years later, on 4 February 1912, Austrian tailor Franz Reichelt died after jumping from the first level of the tower (a height of 57 m) to demonstrate his parachute design. In 1914, at the outbreak of World War I, a radio transmitter located in the tower jammed German radio communications, seriously hindering their advance on Paris and contributing to the Allied victory at the First Battle of the Marne.
During World War I, the Eiffel Tower's wireless station played a crucial role in intercepting enemy communications from Berlin. In 1914, French forces successfully launched a counter-attack during the Battle of the Marne after gaining critical intelligence on the German Army's movements. In 1917, the station intercepted a coded message between Germany and Spain that referenced 'Operative H-21.' This information contributed to the arrest, conviction, and execution of Mata Hari, the famous spy accused of working for Germany.
From 1925 to 1934, illuminated signs for Citroën adorned three of the tower's sides, making it the tallest advertising space in the world at the time. In April 1935, the tower was used to make experimental low-resolution television transmissions, using a shortwave transmitter of 200 watts power. On 17 November, an improved 180-line transmitter was installed.
On two separate but related occasions in 1925, the con artist Victor Lustig "sold" the tower for scrap metal. A year later, in February 1926, pilot Leon Collet was killed trying to fly under the tower. His aircraft became entangled in an aerial belonging to a wireless station. A bust of Gustave Eiffel by Antoine Bourdelle was unveiled at the base of the north leg on 2 May 1929. In 1930, the tower lost the title of the world's tallest structure when the Chrysler Building in New York City was completed. In 1938, the decorative arcade around the first level was removed.
Upon the German occupation of Paris in 1940, the lift cables were cut by the French. The tower was restricted to German visitors during the occupation and the lifts were not repaired until 1946. In 1940, German soldiers had to climb the tower to hoist a swastika-centred Reichskriegsflagge, but the flag was so large it blew away just a few hours later, and was replaced by a smaller one.[When visiting Paris, Hitler chose to stay on the ground. When the Allies were nearing Paris in August 1944, Hitler ordered General Dietrich von Choltitz, the military governor of Paris, to demolish the tower along with the rest of the city. Von Choltitz disobeyed the order. On 25 August, before the Germans had been driven out of Paris, the German flag was replaced with a Tricolour by two men from the French Naval Museum, who narrowly beat three men led by Lucien Sarniguet, who had lowered the Tricolour on 13 June 1940 when Paris fell to the Germans.
A fire started in the television transmitter on 3 January 1956, damaging the top of the tower. Repairs took a year, and in 1957, the present radio aerial was added to the top. In 1964, the Eiffel Tower was officially declared to be a historical monument by the Minister of Cultural Affairs, André Malraux. A year later, an additional lift system was installed in the north pillar.
According to interviews, in 1967, Montreal Mayor Jean Drapeau negotiated a secret agreement with Charles de Gaulle for the tower to be dismantled and temporarily relocated to Montreal to serve as a landmark and tourist attraction during Expo 67. The plan was allegedly vetoed by the company operating the tower out of fear that the French government could refuse permission for the tower to be restored in its original location.
In 1982, the original lifts between the second and third levels were replaced after 97 years in service. These had been closed to the public between November and March because the water in the hydraulic drive tended to freeze. The new cars operate in pairs, with one counterbalancing the other, and perform the journey in one stage, reducing the journey time from eight minutes to less than two minutes. At the same time, two new emergency staircases were installed, replacing the original spiral staircases. In 1983, the south pillar was fitted with an electrically driven Otis lift to serve the Jules Verne restaurant. The Fives-Lille lifts in the east and west legs, fitted in 1899, were extensively refurbished in 1986. The cars were replaced, and a computer system was installed to completely automate the lifts. The motive power was moved from the water hydraulic system to a new electrically driven oil-filled hydraulic system, and the original water hydraulics were retained solely as a counterbalance system. A service lift was added to the south pillar for moving small loads and maintenance personnel three years later.
Robert Moriarty flew a Beechcraft Bonanza under the tower on 31 March 1984. In 1987, A. J. Hackett made one of his first bungee jumps from the top of the Eiffel Tower, using a special cord he had helped develop. Hackett was arrested by the police. On 27 October 1991, Thierry Devaux, along with mountain guide Hervé Calvayrac, performed a series of acrobatic figures while bungee jumping from the second floor of the tower. Facing the Champ de Mars, Devaux used an electric winch between figures to go back up to the second floor. When firemen arrived, he stopped after the sixth jump.
For its "Countdown to the Year 2000" celebration on 31 December 1999, flashing lights and high-powered searchlights were installed on the tower. During the last three minutes of the year, the lights were turned on starting from the base of the tower and continuing to the top to welcome 2000 with a huge fireworks show. An exhibition above a cafeteria on the first floor commemorates this event. The searchlights on top of the tower made it a beacon in Paris's night sky, and 20,000 flashing bulbs gave the tower a sparkly appearance for five minutes every hour on the hour.
The lights sparkled blue for several nights to herald the new millennium on 31 December 1999. The sparkly lighting continued for 18 months until July 2001. The sparkling lights were turned on again on 21 June 2003, and the display was planned to last for 10 years before they needed replacing.
The tower received its 200,000,000th guest on 28 November 2002. The tower has operated at its maximum capacity of about 7 million visitors per year since 2003. In 2004, the Eiffel Tower began hosting a seasonal ice rink on the first level. A glass floor was installed on the first level during the 2014 refurbishment.
(Wikipedia)
Der Eiffelturm (französisch Tour Eiffel, [tuʁ‿ɛˈfɛl) ist ein 330 Meter hoher Eisenfachwerkturm in Paris. Er steht im 7. Arrondissement am nordwestlichen Ende des Champ de Mars (Marsfeld), nahe dem Ufer der Seine. Das von 1887 bis 1889 errichtete Bauwerk wurde als monumentales Eingangsportal und Aussichtsturm für die Weltausstellung zur Erinnerung an den 100. Jahrestag der Französischen Revolution errichtet. Der nach dem Erbauer Gustave Eiffel benannte und zum Errichtungszeitpunkt noch 312 Meter hohe Turm war von seiner Erbauung bis zur Fertigstellung des Chrysler Building 1930 in New York das höchste Bauwerk der Welt. Mit seinem Gewicht von nur 10.100 Tonnen gilt er als ein herausragendes Beispiel für Leichtbauweise. Mit der Ausstrahlung des ersten öffentlichen Radioprogramms in Europa 1921 und des ersten französischen Fernsehprogramms 1935 trug das Bauwerk als Sendeturm zur Geschichte des Hörfunks und des Fernsehens bei. Der Fernsehturm ist die wichtigste Sendeanlage des Großraums Paris und beherbergt als Turmrestaurant das mit zwei Michelin-Sternen ausgezeichnete Restaurant Le Jules Verne.
Als höchstes Bauwerk von Paris prägt er das Stadtbild bis heute und zählt mit gut sechs Millionen zahlenden Besuchern pro Jahr zu den meistbesuchten Wahrzeichen der Welt. Der Turm ist eine der bekanntesten Ikonen der Architektur und der Ingenieurskunst. Der Eiffelturm ist das Vorbild vieler Nachahmerbauten und wird in Kunst und Kultur im Zusammenhang mit Paris und Frankreich vielfach aufgegriffen. Er gilt als nationales Symbol der Franzosen und avancierte zu einer weltweiten Ikone der Moderne. Seit 1964 ist der Eiffelturm als monument historique denkmalgeschützt, und 1986 nahm die American Society of Civil Engineers das Bauwerk in die Liste der historischen Meilensteine der Ingenieurbaukunst auf.
Geschichte
Hintergrund
Mit den technischen Möglichkeiten der Industrialisierung kamen auch Ideen auf, hohe Bauwerke zu errichten. Insbesondere Turmbauwerke spiegelten den damaligen Zeitgeist wider.
Bereits im Jahr 1833 schlug der Engländer Richard Trevithick vor, eine 1000 Fuß (304,80 Meter) hohe, von 1000 Stützen getragene gusseiserne Säule mit dem Durchmesser von 30 Metern an der Basis und 3,60 Metern an der Spitze zu bauen. Trevithick starb jedoch kurz nach Veröffentlichung seiner Pläne. Die amerikanischen Ingenieure Thomas Curtis Clarke (1827–1901) und David Reeves griffen die Idee auf und wollten für die Weltausstellung 1876 in Philadelphia einen solchen Turm (Centennial Tower) errichten. Die Konstruktion sah eine zylindrische Eisenröhre mit 9 Metern Durchmesser als Kern vor, die mit Stahlseilen abgespannt werden sollte. Verwirklicht wurde das Vorhaben nicht. Nach heutigem Wissensstand wäre dieses Bauwerk den Windschwingungen zum Opfer gefallen.
1881 kehrte der französische Ingenieur Amédée Sébillot von einer Amerikareise mit der Idee zurück, das gesamte Stadtgebiet von Paris mit einem Leuchtfeuer auf einem „Sonnenturm“ zu beleuchten. Nachdem die französische Regierung im Mai 1884 das Vorhaben der Weltausstellung für das Jahr 1889 verkündet hatte, fertigte er zusammen mit dem Erbauer des Palais du Trocadéro, Jules Bourdais, entsprechende Pläne an. Der Entwurf, der an eine romantisierende Rekonstruktion des sagenumwobenen Leuchtturms von Pharos mit vielen Verzierungen erinnerte, stieß auf große Vorbehalte und wurde bis zum offiziellen Planungswettbewerb im Mai 1886 öffentlich diskutiert. Mangels technischer Umsetzbarkeit blieben sowohl der amerikanische Centennial Tower als auch der Sonnenturm unverwirklicht.
Projektphase
Im Juni 1884 stellten die beiden Ingenieure Maurice Koechlin und Émile Nouguier, beide aus dem Büro von Gustave Eiffel, einen Entwurf für einen 300 Meter hohen Metallmast vor, der auf vier Füßen ruhen sollte. Die Stahlfachwerkkonstruktion war so entwickelt, dass die Streben durch ihre Neigungswinkel Seitenwinden möglichst geringen Widerstand boten. Die Form der Turmstützen ähnelte der Momentenlinie eines vertikalen Kragarms bei Windbelastung. Damit sollten die Seitenwinde maximal nach unten abgeleitet werden, was dem hohen Bauwerk eine extrem hohe Standsicherheit verschaffen sollte. Die erste Skizze zum Turmbau ist auf den 6. Juni 1884 datiert und wurde von Koechlin entworfen. Der Beitrag des Ko-Entwicklers Nouguier bezieht sich vermutlich auf den Montagevorgang des Bauwerks. Eiffel und sein Büro hatten in den Jahren davor bereits grundlegende Erfahrungen im Brückenbau gesammelt. Die größten Eisenbahnbrücken jener Zeit stammten von Eiffel, wie beispielsweise das Garabit-Viadukt, welches das Tal der Truyère in 122 Meter Höhe überspannt. Die Pylone aus dem Brückenbau standen beim Turmprojekt Pate. Am 18. September 1884 ließ sich Eiffel den Entwurf patentieren.
Der ingenieurtechnisch ausgereifte Entwurf entsprach jedoch ästhetisch nicht den Vorstellungen Eiffels. Das pylonartige Bauwerk erinnerte zu sehr an einen überdimensionierten Freileitungsmast – die Werkbezeichnung deutete dies mit pylône de 300 mètres de hauteur an. Eiffel erkannte, dass der allzu technische Entwurf im Vergleich mit den kunstvollen Bauwerken der Weltausstellung nicht überzeugen konnte, und beauftragte im Frühjahr 1886 den Architekten Stephen Sauvestre, die Form des Turms zu überarbeiten, um die Akzeptanz zu erhöhen. Zu den auffälligsten, von Sauvestre vorgenommenen Veränderungen zählt der monumentale, für die Tragfähigkeit nicht notwendige Bogen mit der ersten Etage. Er wurde dem Anspruch, als Eingangsportal für die Weltausstellung zu dienen, deutlich besser gerecht und ließ den Turm weniger nüchtern erscheinen. Sauvestre versah das Bauwerk mit gemauerten Sockeln, ließ die nach oben strebenden Pfeiler früher zusammenlaufen, änderte die Aufteilung der Geschosse und fügte eine Reihe von Verzierungen hinzu. Die ursprünglich vorgesehene Spitze in Pyramidenform veränderte der Architekt zu einer zwiebelförmigen Laterne.
Erst dieser Entwurf überzeugte Eiffel so, dass er die Nutzungsrechte für den „300-Meter-Turm“ erwarb.[ Eiffel pries das Konzept vor dem Ausstellungskommissariat nicht nur als Ausstellungsbauwerk, sondern stellte die wissenschaftliche Bedeutung für die Meteorologie, Astronomie und die Aerodynamik heraus. Eiffel hob den Namen Koechlins nicht besonders hervor. Dies führte dazu, dass der Turm bereits in der Projektphase mit dem Ingenieur Eiffel in Verbindung gebracht wurde und schon vor seiner Errichtung die Bezeichnung Eiffelturm erhielt; Eiffel selbst hatte ihn nie so bezeichnet. Im Frühjahr 1885 wurden die Baukosten auf 3.155.000 Francs geschätzt und die Turmmasse mit 4810 Tonnen projektiert. Am Ende kam die reine Stahlkonstruktion des Eiffelturms auf eine Masse von 7300 Tonnen und die Baukosten erhöhten sich auf mehr als das Zweieinhalbfache.
Am 1. Mai 1886 schrieb der Handelsminister Édouard Lockroy den Ideenwettbewerb für die Gebäude der Pariser Weltausstellung aus, der sich an französische Architekten und Ingenieure richtete. Es nahmen rund 100 Bewerber teil, viele von ihnen griffen die Idee eines Turmbauwerks auf. Nach der ersten Auswahl blieben drei Vorlagen übrig, darunter befanden sich neben Eiffels Beitrag die Entwürfe von Ferdinand Dutert und Jean Camille Formigé. Eiffel ließ die stark verzierte Fassung Sauvestres nochmals unter Verzicht auf einige Zierelemente überarbeiten und gewann mit diesem Kompromissvorschlag den Wettbewerb. Er unterschrieb am 8. Januar 1887 einen Vertrag mit der Stadt, die eine Subvention in Höhe von 1,5 Millionen Goldfranken zur Verfügung stellte, und bereits am 26. Januar wurde mit dem Bau begonnen. Da Eiffel die restlichen Baukosten von insgesamt über sieben Millionen Franken selbst zu tragen hatte, sicherte ihm der 18 Paragraphen umfassende Vertrag eine zwanzigjährige Nutzungskonzession zu. Den Vertrag unterzeichnete Eiffel persönlich, nicht im Namen seiner Baufirma. Die Finanzierung der restlichen Kosten erfolgte über eine Aktiengesellschaft mit einem Grundkapital von fünf Millionen Franken, von denen er die Hälfte übernahm; die andere Hälfte stellten zwei Pariser Großbanken als Kredite zur Verfügung. Den Inhabern von Eiffelturm-Aktien, welche die höchsten Renditen in der französischen Börsengeschichte ausschütteten, war es erlaubt, den Turm einmal im Jahr kostenfrei zu benutzen.
Auch wenn Eiffel den Turm als geschlossenes Projekt aus seiner Hand anpries und sich damit eine fremde Idee zu eigen machte, gilt es historisch als gesichert, dass ohne Eiffels persönliches und unternehmerisches Engagement der Bau in dieser Form nie zustande gekommen wäre.
Bauarbeiten von Januar 1887 bis März 1889
Unter regem Interesse der Öffentlichkeit begannen am 28. Januar 1887 die Bauarbeiten mit den Grabungsarbeiten für die Fundamente. Dafür wurden insgesamt 30.973 Kubikmeter Erdreich ausgehoben. Da die Fundamente unter dem Niveau des Seineflussbetts gründen, verwendete man einen sogenannten Senkkasten. Dabei wird Druckluft in die wasserdichte Metallverschalung geleitet, damit die Arbeiten unterhalb des Wasserspiegels ausgeführt werden konnten. Dieses auf den Bergbauingenieur Jules Triger zurückgehende Verfahren hatte Gustave Eiffel bereits 1857 beim Bau der 500 Meter langen Eisenbahnbrücke von Bordeaux erprobt, und wandte es bei den zwei zur Seine ausgerichteten Pfeilerfundamenten an.
Eiffel verwendete als Baumaterial im Puddelverfahren produziertes Schmiedeeisen, was zu seiner besonderen Haltbarkeit beigetragen hat. Da die Eisenverbindung mit geringem Kohlenstoffgehalt nicht geschweißt, sondern nur genietet werden konnte, ließ Eiffel in seinem Firmensitz in Levallois-Perret die notwendigen Einzelteile im Baukastenprinzip vorproduzieren und in Paris vor Ort zusammensetzen. Die Teile wurden exakt berechnet, geschnitten und mit den Löchern für das spätere Nieten versehen. Für die Vorproduktion bis zur Errichtung hatte Eiffel einen festen Ablaufplan. Fehlerhafte Teile wurden wieder zur Fabrik zurückgeschickt und nicht vor Ort angepasst. Ein Stab von etwa 40 technischen Zeichnern, Architekten und Ingenieuren erfasste in 700 Gesamtansichten und 3.600 Werkzeichnungen das gesamte, aus 18.038 Einzelteilen bestehende Bauwerk.
Am 1. Juli 1887 begann die Errichtung der vier Turmfüße. Die zunächst freitragend montierten Sparren wurden von 30 Meter hohen provisorischen Baugerüsten getragen. Am 7. Dezember 1887 erfolgte die Montage der ersten Etage, auf deren Höhe ein 45 Meter hohes Gerüst zur Abstützung der Horizontalbalken diente. Oberhalb der Etage stützten sich die Strebepfeiler von selbst. Alle Werkstücke wurden von dampfgetriebenen Kränen auf den Führungsschienen positioniert, auf denen später die unteren Fahrstühle verkehren sollten. Einer der heikelsten Bauabschnitte war die Verbindung der vier horizontalen Tragbalken in der ersten Etage. Für deren exakte Ausrichtung nutzte Eiffel sogenannte Sandkisten, mit denen die Träger millimetergenau ausgependelt werden konnten. In zwei Pfeilern befanden sich manuell mit Handpumpen bedienbare hydraulisch verstellbare Hubspindeln, mit denen die Sparren auf ihre Position gebracht wurden. Damit war eine sehr präzise Justierung der Balken möglich. Nachdem die Tragpfeiler fest miteinander verbunden waren, ersetzte man die Hubspindeln durch verankerte Stahlkeile. Die sorgfältige Planung und Ausführung führte dazu, dass die Nietlöcher erst ab einer Höhe von 57 Metern angepasst werden mussten. Vermutlich wurde die hohe Präzision durch Zusammenlegen der Teile in der Werkstatt und anschließendes Aufreiben der Nietlöcher erzielt. Eiffel selbst führte dazu aus:
„[…] bei unserem Verfahren waren alle Löcher im voraus mit großer Genauigkeit gebohrt, die Montage durch die Löcher selbst reguliert, und durch Zusammenheften, d. h. durch gewaltsames Eintreiben einer großen Zahl von Stahldornen in die Löcher, führte man die Zusammenfügung herbei.“
Am 14. August 1888 wurde die zweite Etage errichtet und der sich nach oben anschließende Teil freitragend montiert. Gleichzeitig stattete man die Plattformen aus. Die im Werk vorgebohrten Einzelteile wurden vor Ort mit konischen Dornen unter Schlageinwirkung in ihre endgültige Position gebracht. Insgesamt halten im Eiffelturm 2,5 Millionen Niete die Bauteile zusammen. Das Vernieten führten jeweils vier Männer durch. Der erste Arbeiter ließ den Niet heißstauchen und brachte ihn mithilfe einer kleinen Esse zum Glühen. Als zweiten Schritt führte ein anderer Arbeiter den Niet an das Bohrloch. Ein dritter schlug den Schließkopf in Form. In einem letzten Schritt wurde der Bolzen gestaucht.
An den Bauarbeiten waren bis zu 250 Personen beteiligt, rund 150 davon waren für das Vernieten der Bauteile vor Ort eingesetzt. Neben Zimmerleuten befanden sich unter den Bauarbeitern auch Schornsteinfeger, da sie das Arbeiten in großen Höhen gewohnt waren. Die Arbeitsschichten dauerten in den Wintermonaten neun und in den Sommermonaten zwölf Stunden. Im September 1888 kam es zu einem Streik der Arbeiter; drei Monate später legten sie erneut die Arbeit nieder und forderten mehr Lohn. Gustave Eiffel verhandelte mit ihnen und richtete in der ersten bereits fertiggestellten Plattform eine Kantine für sie ein. Während der gesamten Arbeiten kam es zu einem einzigen tödlichen Unfall. Ein italienischer Arbeiter verunglückte beim Einbau der Aufzüge nach der offiziellen Eröffnung.
Gleichzeitig mit der freitragenden Montage der obersten Stockwerke ab Dezember 1888 wurden die Plattformen ausgestattet. Nachdem am 15. März die Laterne auf der Spitze des Turms errichtet worden war, konnten wenige Tage später, am 31. März 1889, planmäßig wenige Wochen vor Eröffnung der Weltausstellung, die Arbeiten abgeschlossen werden.
Proteste und Widerstand gegen die Errichtung
Bereits vor dem Baubeginn formierte sich unter Intellektuellen und Künstlern Widerstand gegen den Bau des Eiffelturms. Der Kunst- und Kulturhistoriker Jacob Burckhardt sah in dem Bauwerk eine Reklame für die gedankenlosen Tagediebe in ganz Europa und Amerika. Zahlreiche Persönlichkeiten, darunter Charles Gounod, Alexandre Dumas, Charles Garnier, William Adolphe Bouguereau und auch Guy de Maupassant als einer der stärksten Kritiker, veröffentlichten am 14. Februar 1887, wenige Tage nach Baubeginn, in der damals renommierten Zeitung Le Temps einen Protest der Künstler:
„Wir Schriftsteller, Maler, Bildhauer, Architekten und leidenschaftliche Liebhaber der bisher unangetasteten Schönheit von Paris protestieren im Namen des verkannten französischen Geschmacks mit aller Kraft gegen die Errichtung des unnötigen und ungeheuerlichen Eiffelturms im Herzen unserer Hauptstadt, den die oft vom gesunden Menschenverstand und Gerechtigkeitsgefühl inspirierte Spottlust der Volksseele schon den Turm zu Babel getauft hat. […] Um zu begreifen, was wir kommen sehen, muss man sich einen Augenblick einen schwindelerregenden, lächerlichen Turm vorstellen, der wie ein riesiger, düsterer Fabrikschlot Paris überragt, muss sich vorstellen, wie alle unsere Monumente gedemütigt, alle unsere Bauten verkleinert werden, bis sie in diesem Alptraum verschwinden. […]“
Das Protestschreiben blieb kein Einzelfall; weitere begleiteten die Bauarbeiten. Léon Bloy beschrieb den Eiffelturm als „wirklich tragische Straßenlaterne“, Paul Verlaine als „Skelett von einem Glockenturm“ und François Coppée als „Eisenmast mit starrer Takelage, unvollkommen, konfus und unförmig“. Die starke Ablehnung richtete sich zum einen gegen die für die damalige Zeit immense Höhe, zum anderen empfand man die offen zur Schau gestellte Konstruktionsweise aus Eisen mit fehlender Fassade als geradezu skandalös.
Ein weiterer Kritikpunkt der Gegner war der Umstand, dass der Turm nicht wie die andere Festarchitektur nach der Ausstellung wieder abgebaut werden, sondern dauerhaft stehen bleiben sollte. Der Protest, der vor allem aus akademisch-elitären Kreisen kam, ließ sich auch durch Eiffels gewieftes Entgegenkommen nicht beruhigen, den Turm für einen Bruchteil der Baukosten in Einzelteile zu zerlegen und ihn an anderer Stelle wieder aufzubauen. Jeder praktische Aspekt, der sich den Notwendigkeiten des Alltags unterwarf, konnte dem hehren Kunstbegriff der Traditionalisten nicht genügen – Industrie und Kunst hatten in ihren Augen strikt getrennt zu bleiben. In der breiten Masse war der Eiffelturm von Anfang an sehr beliebt und die Baustelle wurde rege besucht.
Neben polemischen Schriften, Behauptungen und (angeblichen oder tatsächlichen) Befürchtungen gab es auch Techniker, die befürchteten, die Fundamente des Turms wären für sein Gewicht zu schwach. Ein Mathematiker prophezeite seinen Einsturz, sobald er eine Höhe von 228 Metern überschreite. Ein Anlieger am Champ de Mars strengte einen Prozess gegen den Staat und die Stadt an, aus Angst, der Eiffelturm könne einstürzen und sein Haus zerstören. Das Gericht erlaubte den Weiterbau nur mit der Auflage, dass Gustave Eiffel bei etwaigen Schäden haften müsse.
Eröffnung und Reaktionen
Am Eröffnungstag, dem 31. März 1889, bestieg Gustave Eiffel – da der Aufzug noch nicht fertiggestellt war – mit einer Delegation gegen 13:30 Uhr den Turm und hisste an dessen Spitze eine französische Trikolore, die 7 Meter lang und 4,40 Meter breit war.
Der in der Presse offen ausgetragene Protest gegen den Eiffelturm verstummte nach seiner Eröffnung fast vollständig und schlug teilweise sogar in Begeisterung und Stolz um. In einer Pressemeldung hieß es dazu:
„Vor der vollendeten Tatsache – und was für eine Tatsache! – müssen wir uns beugen. Auch ich, wie viele andere, habe gesagt und geglaubt, der Eiffelturm sei ein Wahnsinn, aber es ist ein großartiger und stolzer Wahnsinn. Gewiss, diese ungeheure Masse erdrückt die übrige Ausstellung, und wenn man wieder aufs Marsfeld hinaustritt, scheinen einem die riesigen Kuppeln und Galerien winzig klein. Aber was wollt ihr? Der Eiffelturm spricht die Fantasie an, er ist etwas Unerwartetes, etwas Fantastisches, das unserer Kleinheit schmeichelt. Als er kaum in Angriff genommen war, unterzeichneten die berühmtesten Künstler und Schriftsteller, von Meissonier bis Zola, einen flammenden Protest gegen den Turm als furchtbares Verbrechen gegen die Kunst. Würden sie ihn heute noch unterzeichnen? Nein, gewiss nicht, und es wäre ihnen lieber, dieses Dokument des Zorns existierte nicht. Und was das Volk, was die guten Bürger betrifft, so lässt sich ihr Empfinden in einem Satz zusammenfassen, den ich aus dem Munde eines braven Manns vernommen habe, nachdem er fünf Minuten lang mit offenen Munde vor dem Turm gestanden hatte: „Enfoncé l’Europe!“ [Europa kann einpacken!]“
Heinrich Schliemann, dem ein Aufstieg auf den Eiffelturm bereits vor der offiziellen Eröffnung ermöglicht worden war, pries das Bauwerk in einem Brief an Rudolf Virchow am 24. Mai 1889 als Wunderwerk der ingenieurtechnischen Fähigkeiten, ohne das der vierte Teil der Ausstellung – Schliemann meinte die vierte Weltausstellung in Paris – keinen Reiz hätte. Trotz der Euphorie, die ihn als gelungene nationale Selbstdarstellung und Demonstration des technischen Fortschritts rühmte, blieb auch unversöhnliche Kritik. Auf jeden Fall erregte er die Gemüter jener Zeit sehr stark und übte eine enorme Anziehungskraft auf die Menschen aus, so der französische Philosoph, Schriftsteller und Literaturkritiker Roland Barthes.
Für die breite Öffentlichkeit war der Turm erst seit dem Eröffnungstag der Weltausstellung, dem 15. Mai 1889, zugänglich. Das Eintrittsgeld betrug 1889 für die erste Etage zwei, für die zweite drei und für die dritte fünf Francs. Der Eintritt zur Weltausstellung kostete einen Franc. Insgesamt bestiegen während der Weltausstellung 1889 1.896.987 Menschen den Eiffelturm. Damit amortisierten sich seine Baukosten bereits zu drei Vierteln. Zahlreiche prominente Persönlichkeiten der Zeitgeschichte statteten dem höchsten Bauwerk der Welt ebenfalls einen Besuch ab. Am Eröffnungstag erschien eine Sonderausgabe der Tageszeitung Le Figaro direkt aus dem Eiffelturm. Die Redaktion hatte ihre Arbeitsräume aus diesem Anlass in der zweiten Aussichtsplattform eingerichtet. Besucher, welche die Zeitung an diesem Tag direkt bei der Redaktion kauften, erhielten eine signierte Ausgabe als „Zertifikat“ für ihre Turmbesteigung. Zum Zeitpunkt der Eröffnung und Schließung jedes Messetages wurde jeweils ein Schuss einer Salutkanone von der Spitze des Turms abgefeuert.
Der erste Eintrag im Gästebuch des Eiffelturms war der des britischen Kronprinzen, des späteren Königs Eduard VII., der am 10. Juni 1889 den Turm zusammen mit fünf Familienmitgliedern bestieg und den Eiffel persönlich führte. Am 1. August 1889 besuchte der damalige Schah von Persien Nāser ad-Din Schāh das neue Bauwerk. Außerdem finden sich dort die Unterschriften des Prinzen Georg von Griechenland, des späteren Königs von Belgien Albert I., des russischen Zaren Nikolaus II., Sarah Bernhardts und des japanischen Kaisersohnes Yoshihito. Der Erfinder Thomas Edison überreichte Gustave Eiffel am 10. September 1889 eine Widmung für die „Errichtung des gigantischen und originellen Musterstücks moderner Baukunst“ und nahm bei seinem Besuch die Stimme Eiffels auf. In der dritten Plattform unterhalb der Turmspitze ist dieses Ereignis im ehemaligen Büro Eiffels mit Wachsfiguren nachgebildet. Auch Mahatma Gandhi, der damals in London studierte, bestieg während der Weltausstellung den Eiffelturm.
Als der Eiffelturm eröffnet wurde, war er mit einer Gesamthöhe von damals 312 Metern das höchste Bauwerk der Welt und löste damit das 169,3 Meter hohe Washington Monument, einen Obelisken aus weißem Marmor in den Vereinigten Staaten, als Rekordhalter ab. Das höchste begehbare Gebäude jener Zeit war die 167,5 Meter hohe Synagoge Mole Antonelliana in Turin, die 1888 fertiggestellt wurde.
Die ersten 20 Jahre
Der Erfolg und das Fortbestehen des Eiffelturms über die zwanzigjährige Konzession hinaus war ungewiss. Eiffel versuchte immer wieder durch die Einbindung von Gelehrten und eigene Forschungen den Nutzen des Bauwerkes darzulegen.
Am 5. November 1898 konnten Eugène Ducretet und Ernest Roger eine drahtlose Telegraphenverbindung zwischen dem Eiffelturm und dem vier Kilometer entfernten Panthéon herstellen. Die elektromagnetische Informationsübermittlung blieb zunächst rein militärischen Zwecken vorbehalten. Im selben Jahr wurde auf dem Eiffelturm eine Wetterwarte eingerichtet. Durch den enormen Höhenunterschied von 300 Metern war es möglich, vielfältige physikalische Experimente durchzuführen. So wurden zur Justage von Luftdruckmessern ein übergroßes Manometer installiert, spektroskopische Messungen durchgeführt, ein Foucaultsches Pendel eingerichtet und Windgeschwindigkeit und Atmosphärentemperatur gemessen. Sogar Experimente zur Heilwirkung von Höhenluft führte man durch. Für seine astronomischen und physiologischen Beobachtungen richtete Eiffel ein eigenes Büro in der dritten Plattform ein. Besondere Bekanntheit erlangten Eiffels Messungen zur Aerodynamik. Eine erste Versuchsreihe begann er 1903: Er spannte zwischen der zweiten Plattform und dem Erdboden ein Kabel, an dem er verschiedene Profile nach unten gleiten ließ. 1904 konnten Zeitsignale auf der Wellenlänge 2000 Meter mit unterschiedlichen Apparaten empfangen werden. 1909 erweiterte er seine Studien durch Eröffnung eines Windkanals am Fuße des Turms und einer größeren Anlage an der Rue Boileau im Jahre 1912.
Für die Weltausstellung 1900, die zum fünften Mal in Paris stattfinden sollte, erwog Eiffel verschiedene Umbaupläne. Die allgemeine Empfindung der Ästhetik des Turmes hatte sich in den wenigen Jahren seines Bestehens derart gewandelt, dass seine Optik wegen ihrer Modernität und Radikalität überholt wirkte. Gefragt waren üppigere Formen, wie in der Belle Époque üblich. Die Ausstellung zeichnete sich insgesamt durch eine retrospektive Ausrichtung aus und war damit eher eine Schlussfeier des 19. als eine Eröffnungsfeier des 20. Jahrhunderts.
Aus diesem Grund versuchten Veranstalter und Architekten den Eiffelturm hinter einer Stilhülle zu verbergen. Die Vorschläge dazu reichten von relativ moderaten Veränderungen wie dem Anbringen von Schnörkeln, Wimpeln, Balkonen und Girlanden bis hin zu massiven Umbauplänen, die eine völlige Neukonzeption des Turms vorsahen. Der Entwurf von Guillemonats sah beispielsweise vor, den Turm bis zur ersten Plattform abzutragen und einen riesigen Globus darauf zu errichten. Zum massivsten Umbauvorschlag mit der Projektbezeichnung „la Tour Eifel (sic!) dans le mont Samson“ zählt der eines gewissen Samson, der den Turm als Stützgerüst für einen künstlichen Berg vorsah und den Eiffelturm damit komplett hinter einer Bergkulisse mit Dörfern, Straßen und Vegetation hätte verschwinden lassen. Abgesehen von der Tatsache, dass Samson nicht wusste, wie man den Eiffelturm korrekt buchstabierte, zeugte auch die wenig professionell ausgeführte Planskizze von mangelnder Seriosität. Der Umbauvorschlag von Gautier wollte den Eiffelturm als Stützkonstruktion für ein riesenhaftes pagodenähnliches Tor verwenden. Sowohl ein Abriss als auch die angestrebten Umbauvorschläge scheiterten am Eigentumsrecht Eiffels.
Am 28. Dezember 1897 einigte man sich schließlich, den Eiffelturm weitgehend unverändert in die Weltausstellung zu integrieren. Sein technisches Aussehen wurde lediglich durch eine neue Lichtinstallation, welche die Konturen des Bauwerks hervorhob, zu überspielen versucht. Eiffel beließ es dabei, das Bauwerk nach oben hin in abgetönter orangeroter Farbe neu zu streichen und den Plattformen ein neues äußeres Aussehen zu geben. Neben einer neuen Aufzuganlage stellte er auch seinen Salon in der dritten Plattform der Öffentlichkeit zur Verfügung. Doch zur Weltausstellung zog der Turm mit etwa einer Million nur noch halb so viele Besucher an; die Zahl sank in den Folgejahren weiter ab und pendelte sich bis zu Beginn des Ersten Weltkriegs auf jährlich rund 180.000 ein. Rein wirtschaftlich gesehen spielte es eine untergeordnete Rolle, denn die Baukosten des Eiffelturms waren bereits nach eineinhalb Jahren amortisiert. Eiffel war durch sein alleiniges Vermarktungsrecht und sein prosperierendes Unternehmen bereits mehrfacher Millionär geworden und konnte sich neben einem Stadtpalais in Paris weitere Häuser in Sèvres, Beaulieu-sur-Mer an der Côte d’Azur und in Vevey am Genfersee leisten.
Neben der wissenschaftlichen Nutzung wuchs vor allem auch der militärische Wert des Turmes. Am 15. Dezember 1893 erlaubte Eiffel dem Kriegsminister Auguste Mercier, auf dem Turm Antennen zu befestigen, und übernahm sogar deren Kosten. Am 21. Januar 1904 unterstützte er Hauptmann Gustave-Auguste Ferrié, einen Offizier der Pioniertruppen, die drahtlose Telegrafie für die militärische Nutzung voranzutreiben. Ferrié richtete das militärische Netzwerk ein und wurde zum zweitwichtigsten Mann neben Eiffel. Nachdem bereits 1898 eine drahtlose Verbindung hergestellt worden war, wurden 1903 zwischen dem Eiffelturm und einigen Militäranlagen in Paris weitere Funkverbindungen geschaffen und ein Jahr später wurde die Verbindung in den Osten Frankreichs erweitert. 1906 wurde ein Radiosender auf dem Turm eingerichtet. Die nach 20 Jahren ausgelaufene Konzession wurde am 1. Januar 1910 um weitere 70 Jahre verlängert. Mit der gestiegenen strategischen Bedeutung war auch der Fortbestand des Eiffelturms gesichert; sie war sogar ausschlaggebend für die Fortsetzung der Konzession, denn der wissenschaftliche Nutzen blieb real betrachtet eher bescheiden.
Entwicklung zur bedeutenden Sehenswürdigkeit
1937 bis 1979
Während der Weltfachausstellung 1937, die bereits im Zeichen der konkurrierenden Weltmächte und des drohenden Konfliktes mit dem „Dritten Reich“ stand, wurde unterhalb der ersten Plattform des Eiffelturms ein riesiger, von dem Architekten André Grasset gestalteter Kronleuchter aufgehängt. Darüber hinaus tauchte man den Turm mit 30 Projektoren in ein weißes Licht mit blauen und roten Blitzen. Die Veranstaltung war die letzte der sechs Weltausstellungen in Paris. Der Eiffelturm war seit 1889 fester Bestandteil der Ausstellungsarchitektur, zog aber mit jedem Mal weniger Besucher an.
Beim Staatsbesuch des britischen Königs Georg VI. im Jahr 1938 wurde ihm zu Ehren der Union Jack seitlich am Turm gehisst. Die 120 Kilogramm schwere Flagge war 30 Meter breit und 40 Meter lang.
Mit der Besetzung von Paris 1940 wurden die Aufzugkabel abgetrennt. Eine Reparatur war aufgrund der mangelnden Güterversorgung während des Zweiten Weltkrieges praktisch unmöglich. Für die deutschen Truppen und Adolf Hitler bedeutete dies, dass sie den Eiffelturm nur über die Treppe besteigen konnten. Deutsche Soldaten erhielten den Auftrag, bis zur Spitze hochzusteigen, um eine Hakenkreuzflagge an der Spitze des Turms zu hissen. Da sie zu groß war, wurde sie bereits nach wenigen Stunden weggeweht und etwas später durch eine kleinere ersetzt. Auf der ersten Aussichtsplattform ließ die Wehrmacht zudem ein Transparent mit der Aufschrift „Deutschland siegt auf allen Fronten“ anbringen. Als Hitler Paris am 24. Juni 1940 selbst besuchte, zog er es vor, den Eiffelturm nicht zu besteigen. Darauf hieß es, dass Hitler zwar Frankreich, aber nicht den Eiffelturm erobert habe. Auch die Hakenkreuzflagge wurde während der Besatzungszeit von einem Franzosen in einer heimlichen Aktion durch die französische Trikolore ersetzt. Trotz der Widrigkeiten inszenierten die Deutschen den Eiffelturm zu propagandistischen Zwecken. Hitler ließ sich zusammen mit weiteren namhaften Größen seines Regimes wie beispielsweise Albert Speer und Arno Breker in verschiedenen Posen vor dem Eiffelturm fotografieren, um vor der heimischen Bevölkerung den Sieg über die Franzosen zu demonstrieren.
Wie schon während des Ersten Weltkrieges blieb der Turm auch während des Zweiten Weltkrieges für die Öffentlichkeit geschlossen. US-amerikanische Truppen befreiten Paris am 25. August 1944 und installierten auf der zweiten Etage des Eiffelturms ihre Sendestationen, um mit deren Hilfe mit den Streitkräften am Ärmelkanal kommunizieren zu können. Nach der Wiedereröffnung für den Publikumsverkehr im Juni 1946 bestiegen in dem folgenden halben Jahr über 600.000 Besucher den Turm. Mit dem stärker werdenden Tourismus stieg auch die Besucherzahl anhaltend auf jährlich über eine Million und steigerte sich in den folgenden Jahrzehnten kontinuierlich.
Die 1950er Jahre waren geprägt durch das sich durchsetzende Medium des Fernsehens. Im April 1952 wurde das erste Mal eine Livesendung von Paris nach London gesendet. Die technische Schwierigkeit bestand in der Überbrückung der unterschiedlichen Übertragungsstandards zwischen Frankreich und Großbritannien. Mit der Sendung schrieb der Eiffelturm ein weiteres Mal Fernsehgeschichte. Die Show moderierten Georges de Caunes und Jacqueline Joubert vom französischen Fernsehen und Miss Reeves von der BBC. Ein Jahr später folgte der nächste Meilenstein mit der Einrichtung des Eurovision-Verbundes. Damit konnte am 2. Juni die Krönung von Elisabeth II. an alle Teilnehmerstaaten der Eurovision übertragen werden; in Frankreich wurde die Zeremonie landesweit vom Eiffelturm aus ausgestrahlt. 1956 brach im Senderaum ein Feuer aus und zerstörte die Turmspitze sowie die Sendeeinrichtungen. Im Folgejahr errichtete man neue Antennenplattformen und installierte neue Antennen. Nach dem Umbau strahlte der Turm Radio- und drei Fernsehprogramme aus. Seine neue Antenne erhöhte das Wahrzeichen auf insgesamt 320,75 Meter.
Zum 75-jährigen Jubiläum des Eiffelturms im Jahr 1964 lud die Betreibergesellschaft insgesamt 75 um das Jahr der Errichtung des Turms 1889 geborene Pariser Bürger zu einer festlichen Gala ein. Zu den berühmtesten Gästen zählte Maurice Chevalier.
Im Laufe der Jahre wurden nicht nur zu den Jubiläen besondere Ereignisse am Eiffelturm veranstaltet. Durch die vermehrte Vergabe von Dreherlaubnissen für Kinofilme stieg der Status des Bauwerks weiter. Neben immer wieder außergewöhnlichen, meist sportlichen Aktionen wurde der Eiffelturm auch zunehmend im Alltagsleben der Pariser verankert, beispielsweise durch die Eröffnung einer Schlittschuhbahn in der ersten Etage im Winter.
Aufgrund des traditionellen, an akademisch-klassizistischen Idealen orientierten Kunstverständnisses in Frankreich tat sich der Eiffelturm auch noch im fortgeschrittenen 20. Jahrhundert schwer mit seiner Anerkennung als Kulturdenkmal. Erst am 24. Juni 1964 wurde das Bauwerk in das Inventaire des monuments historiques eingetragen.
Seit 1980: Kulturerbe der UNESCO und Umbaumaßnahmen
Nachdem zum 1. Januar 1980 die an Eiffel vergebene und inzwischen auf seinen Erben übergegangene Konzession ausgelaufen war, übernahm die Société nouvelle d’exploitation de la tour Eiffel (SNTE), eine zu 100 % der Stadt Paris gehörende Tochtergesellschaft, den Betrieb des Wahrzeichens. Sie kümmert sich seither um die Erhaltung und Vermarktung des Bauwerks. Am 9. September 1983 wurde der hundertmillionste Besucher des Eiffelturms mit einem Geschenk begrüßt. Die Sängerin Mireille Mathieu überreichte der Frau die Schlüssel für einen Citroën BX.
Seit 1991 gehört das Seineufer mit seinen Bauwerken zwischen dem Pont de Sully und dem Pont d’Iéna am Eiffelturm in Paris zum Kulturerbe der UNESCO.
Im Jahr 2000 übernahm die Rundfunkgesellschaft TDF die Montage von UHF-Antennen und ließ seine Gesamthöhe von 318,7 Meter auf seine zwischenzeitliche Höhe von 324 Meter anwachsen. 2005 strahlte der Eiffelturm erstmals digitales Fernsehen aus. Die SNTE ging zum 1. Januar 2006 für zunächst zehn Jahre in die Société d’exploitation de la tour Eiffel (SETE) über. Von Februar 2012 bis 2013 wurden umfangreiche Renovierungen und Umgestaltungen in der ersten Plattform durchgeführt, die zu diesem Zeitpunkt von etwa der Hälfte der Besucher gemieden wurde. Unter anderem wurden in Anlehnung an die ursprünglichen Glassäle drei überdachte kastenförmige, dunkelrote Pavillons – teilweise mit Glasboden – aus Stahl und Glas konstruiert, die an den Seitenwänden zwischen den Pfeilern und parallel zu ihnen verlaufen. Während der 25 Millionen Euro teuren Umbaumaßnahmen wurde der Besucherbetrieb weiter aufrechterhalten. Darüber hinaus wurden Behindertenaufzüge und eine Konferenzhalle eingerichtet.
Im Herbst 2017 wurde mit dem Bau einer Einfriedung rund um den Eiffelturm begonnen. Zwei klare Glaswände – zur Seine und gegenüber zum Marsfeld hin – sind 3 m hoch und 6,5 cm dick und dienen als Schutz vor Beschuss. An den zwei anderen Seiten wurden 3,24 m hohe Metallzäune errichtet, deren Pfeiler schräg stehen und so die konische Form des Turms widerspiegeln. Die Errichtung – sie wurde am 14. Juni 2018 von der Betreibergesellschaft Sete präsentiert – hat 35 Mio. Euro gekostet und wurde im Dezember 2018 abgeschlossen. Geplant wurde die Glaswand vom in Paris lebenden und aus Graz stammenden Architekten Dietmar Feichtinger mit der Absicht, „die Einzäunung so diskret wie möglich zu gestalten.“ Schon bisher mussten Besucher vor dem Besteigen des Turms durch Sicherheitsschleusen gehen.
(Wikipedia)
How many video engineers does it take to change a light bulb..?
Somewhere in San Francisco, circa 1996. [Scanned from 35mm negative.]
I saw these in the latest Vogue worn by Keira Knightley and knew that I absolutely needed a pair. They just arrived today. They're beautiful and I can't wait to wear them out!
Frye Engineer Boots 12R in color Gaucho
Our Camera Club enjoyed an outing to Helston Steam Railway. It's a very old line. Cut by Beeching in the 60s! The engineer!
My lovely colleague and friend Dooyoung, one of the amazing engineers I get to work with at my company. That evening we were celebrating a company success together with our team and I shot a few portraits of everyone.
It's lovely to be able to capture a moment that would be difficult to place in time (assuming one didn't have acces to "EXIF" data!). One of the crew of NNR's Standard 4MT "Mogul" (Driver or Fireman? I don't know which) prepares the locomotive for bed at Weybourne Station. The sharp eyed will notice that the train this shot was taken from is hauled by a BR Class 37 Diesel-Electric. Meaning the photo was definately captured post 1962.
Dates: 1914-1918
Maker: Unidentified
Place: USA
Donor: Gift of Karen Jacobsen Lenthall
Photographer Credit: Scottish Rite Masonic Museum & Library
For more information on our collection of stereocards, check out our blog!
Engineers conduct maintenance on the engines of the HMCS VILLE DE QUEBEC while alongside NB jetty in Halifax, Nova Scotia on May 4, 2020.
Photo by: MCpl Anthony Laviolette, Canadian Armed Forces Imagery Technician.
Des mécaniciens effectuent l’entretien des moteurs du NCSM VILLE DE QUEBEC qui est amarré le long de la jetée NB à Halifax, en Nouvelle-Écosse, le 4 mai 2020.
Photo : Cplc Anthony Laviolette, technicien en imagerie, Forces armées canadiennes
With a clear view from the footbridge for the first time in probably 20 years, following recent tree removal, 66018 passes Cattybrook brickworks with 1055 Marshfield to Westbury Down T.C. engineers on 17th April 2016.
In the background can be seen seven electrification masts that have recently been erected to the west of the split level section near Pilning.
This was diverted via Swindon due to a line closure between Bristol & Bath, although on its normal route at this point
66593 ‘3MG Mersey Multimodal Gateway’ heads up the gradient at Battlefield, on the edge of Shrewsbury, with 6Y13 08:30 Marsh Brook – Crewe Basford Hall (via Craven Arms) ballast
.
PACIFIC OCEAN (Aug. 2, 2021) Engineman 1st Class Mark Plascencia, from Phoenix, Arizona, inspects a space with a flash light during watch aboard the Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Jackson (LCS 6). The Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) is a fast, agile, mission-focused platform designed to operate in near-shore environments, winning against 21st-century coastal threats. The LCS is capable of supporting forward presence, maritime security, sea control, and deterrence. Jackson is conducting routine operations in the U.S. 3rd Fleet area of operations. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Kelsey S. Culbertson)
Crewe allocated 47205 runs past the uncommisioned Westbury PSB into Westbury station with a westbound civil engineers train on 27th January 1983.
The Brush was withdrawn in September 2004 but has been preserved at the Northampton & Lamport Railway since December of that year.
It was briefly renumbered at 47395 for working in the Channel Tunnel pool between March 1994 & September 1995 before regaining its original number.
An unidentified class member sits on the curve.
GBRf Class 66 66753 "EMD Roberts Road" passes Barnacre on 6g50 1005 Barton and Broughton Loop - Crewe Basford Hall Yard heading northbound on 25/04/2021
This man is an amateur model, his fulltime job is an engineer.
I personally love how he managed to strike the balance between masculinity and certain, primal attraction, through the manipulation of light and elements.
Something I found in my old magazine collections. The photos are taken from illustrations in printed issues for sharing and appreciation. Please kindly contact me if it violates your copyright and I shall have them removed.