View allAll Photos Tagged exploit
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) honors its 2022 “Heroes” who have gone above and beyond to help protect the nation’s most valuable resource – children. The event was hosted at the Arlington, VA headquarters of Lockheed Martin. Reginald Saunders /NCMEC
These giant sinkholes, known as cenotes, dot the limestone landscape of the Yucatán. Some, like at Chichen Itza, are open wells; some are completely subterranean; and many, like this one, are sort of in between. Because the Yucatán lacks river systems, human settlements tended to graviate to cenotes. Zací sustained the Mayan town that was here before the Spanish, and probably sustained the Spanish as well, early on.
The hot, humid air this evening was charged with the nervous electricity of an approaching storm- In the cenote, about a half-dozen people were swimming in the deep, deep water, keeping company with the many black fish.
Valladolid, Yucatán, México
August 4, 2010
Valladolid is an incredible place- The ancient Maya had a town here called "Zací", which was destroyed by the Spanish under a nephew of the conquistador Montejo family. They had established a town further away, but plagued by mosquitos, they arrived here and established Valladolid on March 24, 1545. The Mayans of the region, of course, did not take kindly to this invasion and, in the face of horrific horrific exploitation, staged numerous revolts over the following centuries, culminating in the Caste Wars of the 1840's, in which the town was sacked and many of the residents slaughtered. In other parts of Mexico, the tensions and fallout stemming from the Spanish colonial system still run very high, but here there seems to be some peace at the moment.
It's a small town, and you seem to run into the same people over and over again. Due its proximity to some major archeological sites, it has begun to see more tourism over the past ten years- predominantly European backpacker types- We twice bumped into some Germans who were traveling through the Yucatán and Central America. As far as we could tell, we were the only Americans in town. It's a compact, densely packed place and there are a number of modest hotels near the zócalo and a handful of exceptional restaurants.
Under the extreme tropical sun (by mid-afternoon, you can't walk half a block without being drenched in sweat), the narrow, brightly colored streets are a flurry of activity -stores specializing in leather and clothing; -food vendors selling strange fruits, medicines, and streetfood; -bicycles, cars, traffic cops; -old Mayan women dressed in traditional huipiles sewing embroidery on the sidewalk or walking the streets in pairs.
The language here is accented by Mayan, and occasionally you hear pure Yucatec Mayan being spoken, as it is still the first language of many.
Exploitant : SAVAC
Réseau : Transilien SNCF
Ligne : Navette Transilien L
Lieu : Gaudines (Saint-Germain-en-Laye, F-78)
Lien TC Infos : tc-infos.fr/vehicule/43821
.
Gallantry Medal for Sexual Torture Moral Policing and 'Victim Blaming' for Rape Women's Work-Exploited and Unpaid "Disappearing" Girl Child .
Mary E. John .
Noted Scholar Of Gender Studtes .
All India Progrssive Women's Association(AIPWA).
Sentor Fellow and 01rector, .
----Centre for Women m Developmg Societies (CWDS) -13Feb. T11DIUht Kovna Mess 9.00Dm1-.
Public Meeting The ''llaUon"and Its WIIIIII: --Globalisation, Violence and Discrimination .
speakers .
Kavita Krishnan .
Former Jt Secy., JNUSU .
.
The 'Nation' and Its Women .
The Indian Government, led by the UPA in Its second term, makes tall claims that two decades of liberalization have 'empowered' women. And as always, images of women are crafted to represent 'Resurgent India' in times of globalization -a woman Speaker, a woman President. a woman leader of the ruling party, smiling village women and girls in sarkari .
ads of social welfare schemes. . .
What lies behind these images of 'empowerment'? .
Let us look at some recent snapshots-social economic, and political: .
~ The latest census f1gures show that the number of girls in the 0-6 age-group has fallen to the lowest since Independence-a mere 914 girls for every.
-.
1000 boys._MI .
)> The Global Gender Gap Report 2011 shows that when it comes to women's health and survival, India's performance is at rock-bottom (at 134th place among 135 countries). India has one of the worst matemal mortality rates in the world. .
)> Incidents of rape in the country have increased by 791 %since 1971 , whereas murder increased by just 240%, and robbery by 178%. .
,. This Republic Day, Ankit Garg, the Chhattisgarh police officer responsible for the custodial rape and sexual torture of Soni Sori (the tribal school teacher from Chattisgarh), is among those who received a 'gallantry' award !!I .
~ According to India's Census survey, women involved with tlcooking, cleaning of utensils, looking after children, fetching water, collecting firewood" are categorised as unproductive "non-workers'1! .
118 .
~ The Global Gender Gap 2011 ranks India at 131 8 t place among 134 countries, on the question of women's 'economic participation and opportunity.' Only 35% of VvOmen in the country above the age of 15 participate in economic activity (i.e either work or seek work), compared to 85% of men. .
,. Whereas women aged 15 and above comprise only 27% of all employed persons in the country, girl children constitute 42% of all child labour in the country! .
~ The poore$t women have the most insecure and casualised jobs. Among the poorest 20% of urban women workers, 53% are employed with private households as maid servants, cooks, etc, and 91% of jobs are based on verbal contract. Whereas among the richest (top 20%) of urban women workers, 48% have jobsin the governmenUpublic sector and 13% in large private companies..
.
~ .
' Shivani, Vice-President, AISA, JNU.
--Women are paid less than men for the same .
work-at all levels of employment. A note issued .
by the Government in 201 0 gave the details of NSSO .
findings for 2007-08. According to these findings, the .
average wage rate for regular wage/ salaried .
employees in rural areas was Rs 175.30 for males .
and Rs. 108 14 for females; and in the urban areas, .
the wage rate for males was Rs. 276.04 against Rs. .
212 86 for females. .
.
Let's also look at how people in responsible posts view violence on women and women's rights: .
.
Dinesh Reddy, the DGP of Andhra Pradesh, in a widely .
televised statement recently, blamed the rise in rape .
cases on women wearing 'fashionable' clothes. .
Reddy's remarks were justified by Kamataka's Women .
s;md Child Welfare Minister C C Patil, and even by the .
head of the committee against sexual harassment in .
Bangalore University, KK Seethamma! .
.
.
.
The Indian Air Force Vice Chief recently described .
women fighter pilots as a 'bad investment' because .
they m1ght take maternity leave. .
.
.
.
Similarly, an Army Vice Chief said that appointing .
women as army officerswas undesirable because male .
jawans could not be expected to take orders from a .
'NOman! .
.
.
.
Congress leaders m Haryana have openly defended .
khap panchayats. Recently, following an incident where .
an upper caste mob stripped and beat up a dalitvvoman .
whose son married a girl from their community, a .
Maharashtra Minister from the NCP said, "The outburst .
of the girl's family was natural." .
.
.
.
.
What do we make of the above facts? .
~ Why are violence on women and 'honour crimes rising .
alarmingly? .
.
~ Why does sexual violence as a tool ofstate repression, .
and communal and caste violence, go unpunished, .
and even rewarded with political power and awards .
on occasions? .
.
.
I.
~ How can we fight son preference and sex-selective .
abortions? .
.
);.> Have globalization and liberalized state policies truly .
'empowered' women? .
.
)-How does the corporations and markets, driven by .
profits, see women? .
.
.
To discuss these issues, we invite you to a public meetingTonighton .
"The Nation and Its Women: Globalisation, Violence, and .
Discrimination". Speakers include Prof. Mary John of CWDS (who .
will a/so make a power-point presentation on India's ''Vanishing" .
Girls) and Kavita Krishnan,former Joint Secretary of JNUSU and .
National Secretary ofAIPWA. .
.
Praveen P., Jt.Secy., AISA,JNU .
.
t .
.
.
1 -. -.
', .
,,. .. , .
.
.
Exploitant : Cars Lacroix
Réseau : Navette Substitution SNCF Île-de-France
Ligne : Navette Transilien J
Lieu : Gare d'Argenteuil (Argenteuil, F-95)
Lien TC Infos : tc-infos.fr/id/26772
Circuit F - Arrêt : Saint-Gilles
Exploitant : Transports Bethuizeau
Réseau Navettes Estivales - Pornic
Exploitant : Keolis Dijon Mobilités
Réseau : Divia
Ligne : L7
Lieu : Chevigny (Chevigny-Saint-Sauveur, F-21)
Lien TC Infos : tc-infos.fr/vehicule/35251
Exploitant : Autocars Groussin
Réseau Aléop - Pays de la Loire
Substitution SNCF en raison de travaux pendant le week-end du 11 novembre 2022.
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) honors its 2022 “Heroes” who have gone above and beyond to help protect the nation’s most valuable resource – children. The event was hosted at the Arlington, VA headquarters of Lockheed Martin. Reginald Saunders /NCMEC
Turning the tables on and protesting against the use of animals in cosmetic experiments...
Dr.Katz, has placed Shelly in a metal vice, her face and torso is scarred by burns from the chemicals housed in the cannisters on the right.
An electrode has been placed in her brain and can be seen on the outside of her head.
Blood from countless experiments seeps through the cracks in the paintwork.
Dr. Katz's work is observed by a rat, ladybird and a spider-cow.
A human skull lies discarded in the left corner of the room... it glows in the dark due to the radiation, it was subjected to when once part of a living being.
The work is housed in an MDF box.
The vice is made out of a rescued piece of metal and ceramic work, thrown away by one of my college classmates.
The ladybird and spider-cow (possibily a cake-decoration) were found in the street!
The ceramic cat I used for this piece, was found in the garden of an empty house, and as it had childhood memories for me, was quickly pocketed, taken home, cleaned up and kept safe until I could think of something to use it for.
The ceramic cat, was once part of a kitsch glass bowl ornament, (My Great-Uncle had one of these, which as a child I loved; the bowl was red and had a little ceramic mouse inside, which looked up at 2 ceramic cats, which were perched on either side of the exterior of the bowl -looking in at it.)
Anti-trafficking efforts require community level partnerships to tackle child exploitation and County Lines. A collaborative project with children at risk of exploitation engaged them directly in prevention work. Drawing on their lived experiences, children created a large mural using street art, to show pull factors and the reality of the dangers when trapped in exploitation.
This innovative research centres on empowering vulnerable young people, to take direct action at community and wider levels. The young people’s Action Group are presenting their work in schools to support other children at risk, partnering with a charity Escapeline. Participative Action Research enables young people to gain confidence, public engagement skills and inspiration for change, “I want to raise awareness because no one should go through what I did” (Mae). The Action Group have secured a space with senior stakeholders at the Anti-Slavery Partnership Board to promote young people’s voice in anti-trafficking work.
Dr Alinka Gearon
Department of Social & Policy Sciences
Partnerships - Research that is working in collaboration with people outside academia including industry, policy-makers and civil society and community-based organisations.
The above vehicle or vehicles was on display at the 13th Annual Kowtown Custom Greaserama show in Tracy, Missouri on Aug. 31- Sept. 1, 2013.
For additional information, visit my web site at:
This photo is copyrighted and owned by TeeMack Photography. Any reproduction, modification, publication, transmission, transfer, or exploitation of any of the content, for personal or commercial use, whether in whole or in part, without written permission from TeeMack photography is prohibited. All rights reserved.
I decided to document the stages of my exploits for the repair of the wonders. I hope someone does it profit in the future:)
The whole will be documented and included will be photographs and translations of individual actions.
As already accumulates a little of this, I bet it suitable topic.
Currently I have to learn the operation of the system, because of Class A section is unfortunately not activated after power-up. I also have to watch more precisely power supply. I bought already capacitors: ELNA, RJH series. I will write again soon:)
Hold on!
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) honors its 2022 “Heroes” who have gone above and beyond to help protect the nation’s most valuable resource – children. The event was hosted at the Arlington, VA headquarters of Lockheed Martin. Reginald Saunders /NCMEC
Exploitant : Transdev Montesson Les Rabaux
Réseau : Résalys
Lieu : Gare de Saint-Germain-en-Laye (Saint-Germain-en-Laye, F-78)
Lien TC Infos : tc-infos.fr/id/33495
Tramways mis en service le 4 décembre 1881 amtuir.org/03_htu_cp/03_reseau_france_cp/saint_etienne_cp...
Trolleybus mise en service courant 1940
Compléments des services assurés par des autobus
La ville de Saint-Etienne est bâtie sur un long axe nord-sud sur lequel s'étendent d'interminables communes étirées tout au long d'étroites vallées. La vocation de la région a très tôt été tournée vers l'industrie. La topographie de la vile a déterminé la structure des réseaux de transports. Ainsi, les premiers tramways ont-ils été construits au fond des vallées sur des itinéraires à gros trafic. En complément de ces lignes, d'autres itinéraires ont été desservis vers les collines à partir de cet axe central.En 1883, la Compagnie des Chemins de Fer à Voie Etroite de Saint-Etienne, Firminy, Rive-de-Gier et Extensions (CFVE) fut constituée. Deux lignes de tramways furent mises en chantier, d'une part entre Saint-Etienne et Firminy et, d'autre part, entre Saint-Etienne et Rive-de-Gier. Le 4 décembre 1881, le premier tronçon urbain entre Bellevue et Terrasse, fut mis en service, suivi le 20 mars 1882 par un court prolongement à La Digonnière.Le réseau suburbain fut ensuite achevé et ouvert à l'exploitation le 23 février 1882 vers Firminy, le 1er juillet 1882 entre Saint-Etienne et Saint-Chamond et le 16 novembre suivant entre Saint-Chamond et Rive-de-Gier. Toutes les lignes étaient construites à voie métrique, unique avec des évitements.L'exploitation était assurée par des train à vapeur comportant trois ou quatre voitures. Le parc comportait en 1884, 34 locomotives Winterthur, Brown ou Tubize, 97 voitures et 12 fourgons.
En 1907, les CFVE procédèrent à des extensions de leur réseau :la ligne de Rive-de-Gier est prolongée de 2 km vers La Madeleine, le 14 septembre 1907 ;
un embranchement de la ligne est mis en service vers Saint-Jean-Bonnefond, le 4 décembre 1907 ;
la ligne de Firminy est envoyée vers Pertuiset, sur 4 km supplémentaires, le 18 juin 1907.
Toujours en 1907, deux nouvelles lignes furent construites, l'une vers La Fouillouse, sur 7 km ; l'autre vers Saint-Genest-Lerpt (12 avril et 4 décembre 1907). Enfin, un embranchement de cette dernière ligne vers Riche-la-Molière fut mis en service le 15 avril 1908.Mais à la fin du XIX° siècle, une nouvelle compagnie stéphanoise était apparue : la Compagnie des Tramways Eletriques de Saint-Etienne (TE). Le 7 avril 1897, elle mit en service deux lignes à voie métrique reliant Bellevue et La Rivière à la Gare de Châteaucreux et le Rond-Point au Marais. Les deux lignes, parallèles à celles des CFVE, les concurrençaient directement. En 1906, les TE mirent en service une nouvelle ligne entre Châteaucreux et l'Hôtel de Ville. L'exploitation était assurée par des motrices électriques à deux essieux, de construction assez sommaire, avec un accès frontal par les plates-formes. Leur gabarit en largeur était limité à 1,87 m. En plus des CFVE et des TE, la Société des Tramways Electriques de Saint-Chamond (TSC) mit en service, le 1er juillet 1906, une petite ligne de 2 km, entre Izieux et saint-Chamond, en correspondance avec la ligne CFVE de Rive-de-Gier. L'exploitation était assurée par de petites motrices à deux essieux.Devant la concurrence de ces deux nouvelles compagnies, les CFVE modernisèrent leur propre réseau. La totalité des services furent électrifiés entre août 1907 et juin 1914. Une série de lourdes motrices à essieux radiants, de type H assurèrent dès lors l'exploitation. Elles tractaient les anciennes remorques des trains vapeur. Les motrices étaient équipées du frein à air mais ne possédaient pas de compresseur : les réservoirs étaient remplis à chaque terminus à l'aide de prise d'air comprimé. Ce système restera une particularité stéphanoise jusqu'à l'arrivée des PCC, en 1959. Après la première guerre, les CFVE complétèrent leur parc par du matériel d'occasion provenant de Nancy (type R). A partir de 1920, les TE rencontrèrent de graves difficultés financières et tombèrent en faillite en 1930. Leurs lignes furent alors reprises par les CFVE. Mais la concurrence des autocars qui commencaient à apparaître, provoqua des difficultés importantes aux CFVE. Ces derniers abandonnèrent alors les lignes interurbaines vers Rive-de-Gier, Saint-Jean-Bonnefonds, La Fouillouse et Saint-Genest-Lerpt. En contrepartie, les CFVE obtinrent le monopole sur les lignes de Firminy et de Terrenoire. En 1935-38, une nouvelle série de 8 motrice de type J furent construites neuves et mises en service. Parallèlement quelques morices H furent modernisées. Enfin, en 1941, une petite série de 10 nouvelles motrices de type K fut mise en service. Mais le tracé défecteux des lignes des anciens TE provoqua une première mise sur route en 1938. Dès lors, il fut envisagé de convertir une partie du réseau pour l'exploitation par trolleybus. Dès 1940, les CFVE avaient entamé la transformation de tout l'ancien réseau des TE. A la fin de 1940, la ligne Tardy - Le Soleil vit appraître 6 trolleybus Vétra CS35 prévus à l'origine pour le réseau de Poitiers. A la fin de 1942, 7 Vétra CS45 de 45 places remplacent les CS35 qui furent envoyé à Poitiers.
En 1947, 22 trolleybus de type CS60 remplacèrent les tramways sur la ligne de Bellevue à Firminy. De décembre 1947 à 1954, 6 trolleybus VBD, 40 VCR et 50 ELR furent mis en service sur les anciennes lignes de TE dont les derniers tramways disparurent en 1949.
En 1954, seule la ligne de Bellevue à Terrasse restait exploitée par tramways. Bien qu'envisagée, sa conversion en trolleybus ou autobus paraissait impossible ; son important trafic (70 à 80.000 voyageurs par jour) et son tracé dans des rues étroites, rendait quasi impossible une exploitation par véhicule routier.
Après quelques années d'hésitation, la Ville de Saint-Etienne accepta le maintien des traways dans le centre - cas unique en France - et les CFVE passèrent commande de 30 motrices PCC de conception belge et construites à Strasbourg. Ces remarquables motrices étaient calquées pour la voie métrique sur celles circulant depuis 1951 à Bruxelles. Montées sur deux ogies à roues élastiques, elles comportaient quatre moteurs de 50 CV. Le confort intérieur était particulièrement soigné. Chaque motrice présente une caisse de 13,95 m de long.
En complément, les voies de la ligne furent réaménagée afin de permettre aux tramways de circuler sans être gênés par la circulation automobile.
La première motrice PCC fut livrée le 4 août 1958 et mise en service le 11 décembre suivant. Le 1er septembre 1959, le dernier tramway ancien fut retiré du service. Le succès fut complet : les critiques à l'encontre des anciens tramways s'évaporèrent et les Stéphanois pouvaient s'ennorgueillir de posséder la ligne urbaine la plus moderne de France.
En 1967, les CFVE commandèrent une nouvelle série de 5 motrices PCC articulées afin de renforcer la capacité de la ligne dont le tafic augmentait.
Parallèlement, le parc de trolleybus s'étoffa entre 1960 et 1970, de plusieurs séries de voitures Berliet ELR provenant de Nice et de quelques VA3B2 de Marseille. En 1972, le parc comprenait 35 motrices de tramways, 105 trolleybus et 80 autobus.
Contrairement à ce qui se rencontrait alors en France, le réseau de Saint-Etienne avait su conserver un grande qualité de service et une attractivité qui en faisait un des réseaux les plus efficaces. Cas rare, les CFVE réussissaient à maintenir l'équilibre de leurs comptes ...
Voir aussi :
les tramways de Saint-Etienne dans les années cinquante
le renouveau des tramways de Saint-Etienne
les trolleybus de Saint-Etienne
140 ans de tramway à Saint-Etienne – un record de longévité inégalé en France www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv6hWmCaLq8&feature=emb_imp_woyt - 1881 – 2021. Cela fait 140 ans que le tramway circule à Saint-Étienne sans discontinuité. À travers ce record de longévité inégalé en France pour un tramway intramuros, c’est aussi des milliers d’hommes et de femmes qui se sont succédés pour assurer au quotidien le déplacement de plusieurs milliards de voyageurs.
140 ans jour pour jour après le lancement de son premier tramway, la Société de Transport de l’Agglomération Stéphanoise et Saint-Étienne Métropole ont décidé de célébrer l’événement comme il se doit.
La journée à débuté par la sortie de la motrice J74 du dépôt de la STAS qui a repris du service pour 200 heureux voyageurs, qui, tirés au sort parmi près de 1000 inscrits, pourront circuler à bord de cette motrice emblématique toute la journée entre les stations. Terrasse et Bellevue, tronçon historique du réseau exploité dès 1881 ! Les locomotives à vapeur du réseau CFVE (Chemin de Fer à Voie Etroite) 1881 – 1914
Rue Gambetta sur la ligne Terrasse-Bellevue: En décembre 1881 pour l’ouverture de la ligne; le service est limité à un tram toutes les 1/2 heures pour que les stéphanois s’habituent à la présence des tramways.
C’est en 1981 que le nom STAS apparait pour la première fois, remplaçant la CFVE.
Quatre murs et un toit 1953 - Le Corbusier, l'architecte du bonheur 1957 conceptions architecturales le modulor, l'architecture de la ville radieuse, Chandigarh, Marseille, Nantes www.dailymotion.com/video/xw8prl Un documentaire consacré aux conceptions architecturales et urbanistiques de Le Corbusier.
Exposées par l'architecte lui-même et étayées par des plans, dessins et images de ses réalisations en France et à l'étranger, ces théories témoignent d'une réflexion approfondie et originale sur la ville et sa nécessaire adaptation à la vie moderne, notamment Paris dont l'aménagement révolutionnaire rêvé par Le Corbusier est ici exposé. Un classique du documentaire.
Les premiers projets de Le Corbusier resteront à l'état de maquette : le plan de modernisation de la ville d'Alger. Certains seront réalisés par d'autres architectes : ministère de l'éducation à Rio de Janeiro, Palais de l'ONU à New York. Dès l'après-guerre en moins de 10 ans, Le Corbusier réalise de grandes unités d'habitation à Marseille, Nantes une chapelle à Ronchamps, une usine à Saint-Dié, une ville Chandigarh en Inde. Par des schémas, l'architecte présente sa théorie de la "ville radieuse", le modulor clef mathématique de son œuvre ainsi que son projet de réorganisation de la campagne, des cités industrielles et urbaine en un regroupement autour d'un système coopératif. Le film expose les conceptions architecturales de Le Corbusier, dans la ligne des précurseurs de l'architecture moderne comme Claude-Nicolas Ledoux. Paris et le désert français 1957 réalisation : Roger Leenhardt et Sydney Jezequel, résoudre le déséquilibre démographique ville campagne www.dailymotion.com/video/x177lrp Film réalisé par Roger Leenhardt et Sydney Jezequel en 1957, d'après le livre de Jean-François Gravier. Document d'information général proposant les solutions de l'époque pour éviter la désertification des campagnes et la folie concentrationnaire des villes. Dès 1957, la désertification des campagnes prend des proportions tragiques. L'exemple est donné pour le village de Gourdon dans le Quercy.
Quelles évolutions proposer pour éviter l'exode rural et le développement anarchique, qui s'amorce, des villes champignons, construites en plein champ sans urbanisme et sans âme ? Le commentaire propose les solutions de l'époque : modernisation de l'agriculture, adaptation de l'artisanat, implantations d'industries dans les provinces. Gazoducs dans le sud-ouest, barrage en Haute-Savoie, polder en Bretagne semblaient à l'époque pouvoir résoudre le déséquilibre ville campagne. Visages de la France 1957 Production - réalisation Atlantic-Film Marcel de Hubsch www.dailymotion.com/video/x19g59p Le film commence avec des vues de villages et d'architecture traditionnelle du Pays Basque, des Landes, de la Touraine, de la Normandie, de la Bretagne, d'Alsace. La voix off s'interroge : faut il transformer la France en un musée de ses vieilles demeures ? et poursuit : pourquoi des maisons de 10 à 15 mètres de hauteur à Honfleur n'ont elles que 3 à 5 mètres de large ? Le commentaire se pose la question du nombre de maisons individuelles dans les villes qui entrainent l'étalement urbain. Lorsque les villes ont bâtit des immeubles, le commentaire se demande que cachent ces façades ? Des coures étroites que le soleil ne visite jamais, un enchevêtrement inouï de constructions hétéroclites. L'époque de grande prospérité de la troisième république n'a rien su construire de grand poursuit la voix off. Ce document nous propose ensuite une animation de maquette pour l'aménagement d'une friche. Dans un premier temps à la façon d'avant avec la maison individuelle. La voix off s'exclame : ce n'est pas autrement que d'affreuses banlieues naquirent que tant de villes furent à jamais enlaidies, essayons autre chose. L'animation se met à empiler les maisons individuelles et propose des bâtiments collectifs dans des jardins. Le commentaire poursuit : maintenant c'est l'heure de l'urbaniste à lui de répartir les constructions dans la cité. Plusieurs organisation de logements collectifs sont proposées en maquettes. La voix off pointe les défauts d'un urbanisme des grands ensemble trop ennuyeux. Puis une solution émerge de l'animation : pour que la cité vive il faut mettre au place d'honneur école, dispensaire, bibliothèque, salle de réunion, puis viennent les deux pièces maîtresse deux grands immeubles puis les rues se glissent dans la composition et enfin les pelouse et les jardins apparaissent et voila conclue le commentaire. Le film montre ensuite de réalisation de grands ensemble et on entre dans un immeuble au sein d'une famille : air et lumière sont au rendes-vous. On voit des enfants faire du patin à roulette dans le parc de l'immeuble la voix off annonce : finit l'individualisme renfrogné de l'échoppe d'antan : la cité tout entière est un jardin, les jeux d'enfants se mêlent aux fleurs. Le film se termine sur des vues de réalisation de grands ensemble sur toute la France (vue entre autre de la cité radieuse de Le Corbusier à Marseille). Production Films Caravelle MRU (ministère de la reconstruction et de l'urbanisme) Scenario et réalisation : Pierre JaLLAUD
Faversham Creek by Arthur Percival.
The Faversham Creek valley runs through Water Lane and Lorenden Park in Ospringe, and its tributaries to the top of the North Downs at Otterden, Stalisfield, and Throwley. Just to the west is the Oare Creek valley, better known as Syndale (‘wide valley’) or the Newnham Valley, as far as Doddington, and then also reaching the top of the North Downs at Frinsted and Otterden. Seen here is the village of Newnham, in the main valley, with a tributary valley coming down from Otterden.
The further south you go, the narrower the valleys mostly get, so the lanes which cross them are often very steep. From the tops of some of them they are striking distant views northwards. The countryside, thankfully, is all unspoiled.
How come, in turn, these valleys exist? They’re now dry, but surely they must have been formed by running water? Yes, indeed. In the Ice Age permafrost never extended south of the Thames Estuary, but it was still very cold, and snow capped the top of the North Downs for most of the time. When it melted it had to find its way to the sea, and in doing so it created these valleys.
But the underlying chalk is permeable and the water could simply have drained down into it? Yes, but the ground often remained frozen, and then the water could only drain off over it. The streams brought down with them flint and gravel deposits, and long after they had dried up, from the 20th century till today, these have been exploited for use in road metalling and construction work.
These streams dried up many millennia ago, but towards the north end of their courses springs provided residual water sources for the two Creeks, which were also swept by tidal waters. Though in each case springs may once have risen higher up their courses, Oare Creek came to be fed by springs along Bysing Wood Road and Faversham Creek by ones rising just beyond Lorenden Park. Because of ever-increasing demand on the aquifer, the latter (‘the source of the Nile’ jokingly)finally dried up about 40 years ago, and the only permanent springs left to feed Faversham Creek with fresh water rise in the stream bed outside Chart Gunpowder Mills and at the SW corner of Stonebridge Pond.
Geographers tend to describe creeks and inlets like these as ‘rias’, from a Galician word meaning valleys drowned by the sea. “The branching creeks near Faversham have been produced by marine drowning of an essentially ‘dry valley’ topography,” says the offcial account of The Geology of the Country around Faversham.
There are many parallels in southern England, among them Chichester Harbour, Poole Harbour, the creeks around Shalfleet in the Isle of Wight, and the estuaries of the rivers Exe, Dart, and Fal (think of maps or aerial photographs of places like Topsham, Dartmouth and Falmouth).
In other words the Creeks only became navigable after tidal salt water swept up them from the Thames Estuary. Otherwise they would have remained shallow mini-rivers. So far, so good. However when historic times are reached there is a complication, the implications of which still need to be worked out, and understood.
Archaeological and other research strongly suggests that when the Roman Emperor Claudius invaded, and annexed, Kent in AD 43 local sea levels were much lower than they are today – by as much as 15 feet. This would mean that neither Creek would have been navigable, except at very high tides by shallow-draught vessels.
And yet several local Roman villa (farmstead) sites are close either to the Creeks or nearby inlets; and it seems likely that they were located where they were to be near navigable waters, so that products could be ‘exported’ to London and elsewhere. It tends to be assumed, for example, that the villa excavated near Abbey Farm in 1964 was located where it was because it was close to Faversham Creek.
It has also been suggested that the artificial mound known as Nagden Bump (seen here in the background before it was levelled in 1953) was raised as a foundation for a Roman lighthouse. Here are puzzles to which knowledgeable readers may know the answers.
What is for sure is that in 699 somewhere in or close to Faversham was a place called Cilling (probably pronounced Chilling) and that, if not a home of royalty, it had close royal associations, since Wihtred, King of Kent, issued an important charter there in that year. More importantly – for Faversham Creek – it was later, in 814, described as a port.
On the basis of available documentary evidence, no scholar has yet managed to pinpoint it, but suggestions have been made that it lay by Ewell Fleet, about 600 yards north of Ewell, on the Graveney Road, or was simply a locality in Faversham itself – where at Kings Field there was a major burial ground whose name suggests that had royal associations.
By 811, when it’s first mentioned as ‘Fefres ham’, the town must have been well-established, because it’s described as such (‘oppidum’ in Latin). What’s more, it’s described in Latin as ‘regis’ (owned by the King), so the case for its identity with, or at least close affinity to, Cilling perhaps becomes stronger.
In its position alongside its Creek it must have been a port, and there are indications that, though a ‘limb’ (associate) of Dover, it was an original member of the Confederation of Cinque Ports when this was formed in the 10th century. By 1086 it also boasted a market – the oldest in the present county of Kent.
It’s clear in fact that Faversham would never have emerged as a town without its port. The Creek was its major asset, over-riding the disadvantage that the town’s site lay north of the Roman Watling Street (A2). The more so, too, because after Roman times the roads were in poor shape, as they remained for hundreds of years, and most freight and passenger transport was by water.
by 811; that it may have been a founder-member of the Confederation of Cinque Ports in the 10th century; and that without its port it would never have emerged as a town.
How far upstream was the Creek navigable in the early middle ages, soon after the Norman Conquest in 1066? This is the next question to which an answer is needed if we’re to understand how it influenced the town’s development. Unfortunately it’s a vexed one.
Nowadays there are two sluices to control water levels. One is under the Creek Bridge, the other at the head of the Creek. The purpose of the one under the Creek Bridge is twofold. First, at high tide it enables water to be retained in the Basin above it so that this can be released at low tide to clear silt from the Creek bed. Second, at high tide when the Bridge is swung open, it enables sea-going vessels to reach the Basin and berth there.
In fact this sluice has not been operated for many years and as a result mud and silt have built up in the main reaches of the Creek below it. Thanks to efforts by the Creek Consortium, the sluice gates have recently been repaired by the navigation owners, Medway Ports. This business is owned by Peel Holdings, whose HQ is in Manchester. Among its many other interests are the Manchester Ship Canal, the Trafford Centre in Manchester, the Ports of Liverpool and Sheerness, Liverpool John Lennon Airport and three other provincial airports.
The Creek Bridge, in case you ask, cannot be swung at present, because for some years it has needed major repairs. The Creek Consortium is trying to get these undertaken.
The second sluice, at the head of the Creek, cannot be seen, as it is at the north end of Stonebridge Pond, whose water level it is used to regulate. It is the present-day counterpart of the first sluice installed in 1558. The purpose of this, like the one under the Creek Bridge, was to build up a head of water at high tide so that the this could be be used to flush the Creek of silt. Illustrated is an 1822 plan of Stonebridge Pond, when it formed part of the Home Gunpowder Works. The road running ‘south-north’ on the left is West Street.
It took the place of a tide mill (Flood Mill) and the funds for it came from the bequest of Henry Hatch. Two years before his death in 1533 he’d said “I mean to bestow such cost upon the Haven and Creek that a ship with two tops [masts] may come up to the Crane [meaning probably Standard Quay]”. He was a successful merchant and businessman from Sundridge, near Westerham, and, as he had no children, had decided that as he’d made his fortune in the town he’d leave it most of the money and property he’d amassed.
His point was that in his day the Creek was so badly silted that big vessels could only get up as far as Thorn Quay, below the present sewage works. For the rest of their mile-long journey to or from the town, cargoes had to be moved, inconveniently, in carts or shallow-draught lighters.
The existence of a tide mill at the head of the Creek means that originally Stonebridge Pond and perhaps the lowest reaches of the Westbrook, which feeds it, were tidal and so perhaps, before it was built, navigable by small shallow-draught vessels. Contours suggest that, if it was, such vessels may have been able to reach the lower end of Tanners Street, near which the town’s first Guildhall was standing in the early 16th century. But this is speculation and more research is needed.
When he died in 1533, successful local businessman Henry Hatch left the town money for (among other things) the installation of a sluice to flush the Creek of silt. This was built at the north end of Stonebridge Pond in 1558, and its working enabled the big ships of the day to load and discharge cargoes in, or close to, the town centre rather than a mile away, at Thorn Quay.
Hatch would have been delighted with the outcome of his foresight and generosity. The town prospered as never before. Wrote William Lambarde in 1570: “This town flourisheth in wealth, for it hath not only the neighbourhood of one of the most fruitful parts of this shire (or rather, of the very garden of Kent) adjoining by land, but also a commodious Creek, that serveth to bring in and carry out by the water, whatsoever wanteth or aboundeth to the country about it.”
The fruits of Faversham’s late 16th century wealth we can still see today. Old houses were rebuilt, sometime on a grand scale – think of 1 Market Place (Purple Peach), 25 Court Street, 19 Abbey Street, and 81-83 Abbey Street (one house now split in two). As one journalist recently put it, the port had become the ‘larder of London’ at a time when the metropolis was rapidly expanding. For at least a century the city imported more wheat from Faversham than from any other port. Doubtless also its breweries had a big appetite for local hops.
While the harbours of some other members of the Cinque Ports Confederation silted up, Faversham remained open to traffic. England had always been renowned abroad for the fine quality of its wool, and by the 1680s the Creek was second only to Newcastle upon Tyne for the export of this product.
As a British Empire began to be built up there was an increasing demand for gunpowder. This was met by expansion of the Home Works, first of the town’s three factories. From its original nucleus around Chart Mills it spread upstream as far as the old Maison Dieu corn mill, and downstream as far as Stonebridge Pond. In 1705 the Borough Council transferred the working of the sluice at the Pond’s north end to the factory operator on condition that he widened it. In due course a dedicated Ordnance Wharf was built. Long disused for its original purpose, it now stands vacant, and its future is under discussion.
At the head of the Creek is the basin, seen in the photograph as it was in about 1890, when it was occupied by a shipwright and block- and mast-maker.
The Basin at the head of the Creek, circa 1890
Increasing powder cargoes were exported via the Creek, though not all legitimately. “Large quantities are being smuggled out of Faversham without coquet or security under pretence of His Majesty’s goods, but what it is or where it goes we are unable to give any account,” grumbled local Customs officers in 1673.
Smuggling in fact was a major local industry. The town was “notorious” for it, reported Britain’s first great investigative journalist, Daniel Defoe, in 1724. In the “arts of that wicked trade the people hereabouts are arrived at such a proficiency that they are grown monstrous rich,” he went on.
Fifty years later local surgeon and historian Edward Jacob attempted to redeem Faversham’s tarnished reputation. No-one who knew “the site and course of our Creek, which runs not less than three miles within land, would need to be convinced of the ridiculousness of the repeated assertion of this town’s being notorious for smuggling. … There is not one vessel belonging to it that is known to be employed in that iniquitous trade, or even suspected of it.”
This was carrying loyalty to his adopted town a bit too far. There are such things as blind eyes and deaf ears. Why else would no less than three coastguard stations later be set up along the local coastline?
How a sluice installed at the head of the Creek in 1558 transformed its fortunes we learnt in Part 4. Its operation cleared the waterway of mud and silt, enabling the big vessels of the day to load and discharge cargoes close to the town centre rather than at Thorn Creek, a mile away to the north.
In the words of William Lambarde, writing just 12 years later, “this town flourisheth in wealth, for it hath not only the neighbourhood of one of the most fruitful parts of this shire (or rather, of the very garden of Kent) adjoining by land, but also a commodious Creek, that serveth to bring in and carry out by the water, whatsoever wanteth or aboundeth to the country about it.”
And so, thanks largely to its Creek, the town continued to prosper for the next 250 years and more. Edward Hasted, the great Kent historian, gave the port a positive health-check. “Constant attention has always been paid to the preservation and improvement of the navigation of this creek, by the corporation, who take the whole expense of it on themselves.” The necessary funds they found by the imposition of ‘droits’ (tolls) on cargoes discharged at the various quays. Their right to do so was challenged in 1764, but upheld in court.
Hasted went on to describe the port’s trade. “The principal shipping trade is now carried on from this port by six hoys, which go alternately every week to London with corn, amounting in very plentiful years to 40,000 quarters of different sorts yearly.”
“Colliers likewise, of one hundred tons burthen, which supply not only the town but the neighbouring country with coals, and larger vessels, which import fir timber and iron from Polish Prussia, Norway, and Sweden, frequently resort hither, the principal proprietors and merchants concerned in them being inhabitants of this town. Besides which, there are several fishing vessels, and others, employed in carrying wool, fruits, and other traffic to London and other parts.”
There was also the oyster fishery. It supported over 100 families in the town. Faversham oysters were great favourites of the Dutch, who “have, time out of mind, kept up a constant traffic here for them, never dealing with any others, whilst they can purchase here those suitable for their consumption, at an equal price to those of the adjoining grounds, and generally laying out upwards of £3,000 [in today’s money £100,000] annually for them.”
However, “as these beds do not afford native oysters sufficient for the demands made for them, large quantities of small ones, called brood, are annually laid on these shores. These are collected from different parts of the sea, even from the Land’s End in Cornwall to Scotland and France, in order to increase and fatten, and be meliorated of their saltness, by the constant flow of the fresh waters from the Thames and the Medway.”
So far, except at Standard Quay, Town Quay and Ordnance Wharf, the flood-prone banks of the Creek lay mostly undeveloped. In 1812 the situation changed when Samuel Shepherd, of the brewing family, built a cement works at King’s Head Quay. It took advantage of the ‘Roman cement’ developed by James Parker in the 1780s and patented in 1796. Part of Provender Walk now occupies the site.
This reproduced no original Roman product, but exploited the potential of the ‘septaria’ nodules found locally in the London Clay. Containing both clay and chalk, these could be burnt and then ground to a fine powder which, when mixed with sand, made an excellent mortar.
King’s Head Quay, where part of Provender Walk now stands, took its name from an old pub which was demolished in 1849 when the works was updated. Its name was transferred to a pub in Abbey Street, formerly known as The Mermaid and then The Smack. This is now No 14, and Smack Alley, alongside it, takes its name from the pub’s old dedication.
Faversham Creek prospered for over 250 years after a sluice to clear it of mud and silt was installed in 1558. However…
In the shape of the Whitstable & Canterbury Railway a challenge arrived in 1830. For at least 150 years, since Fordwich on the Stour had ceased to be accessible to trading vessels, Faversham had taken its place as the port for Canterbury and its hinterland. The new railway was connected to a brand-new harbour at Whitstable in 1832, and immediately the fortunes of the Creek and the town were in jeopardy.
The threat had been foreseen, it’s true. The Act authorising the Railway had been passed in 1825 and a year earlier the great engineer Thomas Telford had been commissioned to suggest improvements to the Creek. Its disadvantage was that its course from The Swale to the town was circuitous, making it difficult and slow to negotiate. This had not mattered when there was no competition, but now that there would be, it did.
To overcome this Telford suggested a new straight cut from Holly Shore, past Ham Farm, to Standard Quay – a short ship canal in fact. This was a suitably bold solution, but the necessary funds could not be raised from the business owners who might have benefitted from it. £32,000 (equivalent to £1.35m today) was needed, but not much more than half that put up.
So after Whitstable Harbour opened in 1832 trade began ebbing away. Improbably, but happily, the situation was transformed by the Municipal Reform Act three years later. Hitherto the town’s charities had been administered by the Borough Council but now an independent body was set up to manage them. Through the Hatch bequest, which had provided for the installation of the 1558 sluice, the new Municipal Charity Trustees had a stake in the Creek, and they instigated a new initiative for its improvement.
New plans were commissioned and the necessary Acts obtained to implement them. At £33,000 (equivalent to £1.45m today) they cost slightly more than Telford’s, but this time the money was raised. Under the auspices of a new Faversham Navigation Commission, work started on 1 August 1842 and was completed in the space of 13 months.
Two of the worst meanders nearest the town – Powder Monkey Bay and one at the north end of Front Brents – were eliminated by digging new channels across their loops; the whole channel from the head of the Creek to Nagden was widened and deepened; and a new sluice, with a bridge over it, was built on the site oif the present one.
The two meanders can still be seen. The bed of Powder Monkey Bay is now dry, but if you didn’t notice it an old boundary stone on one side of it would tell you that something here had changed.
This bears the initials F and P, telling you that the land lying within the old Creek loop is (or was) in the parish of Faversham, not Preston, as you might have expected if you knew that the whole of
The Brents was once in that parish. The other meander, by Crab Island, still floods when the tide comes in.
Between Standard Quay and the Creek head the navigation was also straightened. This mean that some bankside properties had to be demolished and that others, like the town warehouse (now the T.S. Hazard) ended up further from the waterside than they had been. In the plan seen here the old course of the Creek is coloured blue, the new violet.
It had never been easy for vessels to make way in the Creek under sail, and for this reason skippers had had to engage the service of ‘hufflers’ – men who would meet vessels at Holly Shore , take a line ashore, and tow them in to Faversham by hand, usually using the west bank. This primitive, but effective, procedure took the name ‘a couple of bob on the line’ because two shillings (10p) was the rate for the job. Mechanisation of the task came in 1844, with the purchase of a steam tug.
By the 18th century there was a bridge at the head of the Creek, by the north end of Stonebridge Pond, linking West Street via Flood Lane with Brent Hill. Though it may have been rebuilt in the 19th century, this still survives.
The Home Gunpowder Works, part of which lay alongside the Pond, had been nationalised by the Government in 1759, and new process-houses and stores had been built by its Board of Ordnance on the north side of Brent Hill. Presumably the bridge was built to link the mills and other buildings alongside the Pond with these factory extensions. However though it formed a useful foot-route the carriageway was narrow; and to this day beyond the end of Flood Lane remains unadopted and so not maintained by the highway authority.
It was not until 1798 that the first bridge, and sluice, on the site of the present one was installed. It was built by the Board of Ordnance, whose Home Gunpowder Works stretched from just N of Ospringe Street to the head of the Creek.
Thus two birds were killed with one stone. If the sluice gates were closed at high tide, vessels serving the Works could berth close to ground level in a newly-created basin; if there were no vessels in the basin, the sluice-gates could be opened to flush out silt from the lower reaches of the Creek.
The Works was at its busiest during the Napoleonic Wars, so the new arrangement could not have come too soon. The bridge was probably of wood, and it is not clear whether it was lifted, swung or slid out of the way when vessels needed to reach the basin. It was only a footbridge, but for pedestrians made access to and from Davington easier from the Abbey Street area. Perhaps because of this Faversham Borough Council contributed £400 to the cost – the equivalent of about £12,000 today.
Not surprisingly the bridge was known as the ‘Sluice Bridge’. It marked one of the official boundaries of the Port of Faversham, which then bordered the Ports of both London and Rochester and extended from Warden on the Isle of Sheppey and Elmley Island on the Swale as far as Reculver.
Till 1833 the Board of Ordnance was responsible for maintenance of both bridge and sluice, but in that year, after being paid £800 by the Board, the Borough Council became responsible. In 1843, as part of the major Creek improvement programme, the new Faversham Navigation Commission replaced the bridge with a substantial iron one, and also rebuilt the sluice.
It was still only a footbridge. In the Faversham News in 1926 John Mannooch remembered it as ‘telescopic’, moving backwards and forwards on rails, with railway wheels propelled by a windlass, presumably operated at the town end.
No photographs or sketches of it are known to have survived. By now much new development had taken place on The Brents and while the new bridge must have been a boon for pedestrians the lack of direct vehicular access must have been very inconvenient. Carts and wagons had to go the long way round, via either Flood Lane or Davington and Brent Hills.
This lack was remedied in 1878 when the present hydraulically-operated vehicular swing bridge was installed. The £1,500 cost was shared equally between the Navigation Commission, the Faversham Pavement Commission (a body later integrated with the Borough Council) and land-owners on the Preston (Brents) bank. The Navigation Commission kept the bridge in structural repair.
In 1917, when the possibility of damage by enemy action loomed, and it was not entirely clear who was legally responsible for maintaining or, if need be, reinstating the bridge, the Navigation Commission, Borough Council and Faversham Rural District Council (then the highway authority for The Brents) clubbed together to seek Counsel’s Opinion on the matter, each agreeing to accept his Opinion, whatever it should be.
On 15 October 1917 Counsel, Gerald F Hohler KC MP, who had been fully briefed about the bridge’s complicated history, gave his Opinion that the Navigation Commission was responsible for maintaining the bridge, for reinstating it in the event of damage or destruction by enemy action, and for keeping the highway over it in good repair.
The bridge was swung open, when required, by a ‘bridge hand’. By the late 1980s traffic had dwindled to such an extent that this was very much a part-time job. The late George Gregory, of pedigree dredger stock, took the post after taking early retirement in 1974 and remained in office till 1987.
With his ancestry he was very attached to the Creek and was sad when he had to retire for a second time. “My duties include looking after the gates, maintaining the lifting mechanism and hydraulic pump house, swinging the bridge, recording arrivals and tonnages, notifying wharf owners of arrivals, and ensuring that the waterway is kept clear.”
The bridge was still swinging in 1993, when Bill Handley had taken over. However problems were beginning to develop. One of the abutments had been rebuilt in 1989 and a temporary coat of paint put on the underside of the bridge. Top coats were supposed to have been put on later, but they never were, and this led to metal corrosion which made operation difficult.
There were also problems with the basin. In the same year a report commissioned by KCC, Swale Borough Council and Faversham Town Council reported that 25,000 cubic metres of silt needed to be removed.
By 1996 the bridge had been out of action for two years and £43,000 was spent on repairs. The two sluice gates, each weighing 7 tons, were taken away for repair at Sheerness by the Medway Ports Authority, which had absorbed the independent Faversham Navigation Commission and is now a subsidiary of the Peel Group.
It seems that the Authority (now known simply as Medway Ports) may have overlooked its predecessor’s 1917 pledge to be responsible for maintenance of the bridge. Towards the £43,000 required it ‘donated’ £23,000, the remainder coming in contributions of £6,000 each from KCC, Swale Borough Council and the Hatch Charity, and £2,000 from the Town Council.
The Peel Group of which it now forms a part operates several big ports, as well as a number of regional airports. “Engaging with the communities in which we operate,” it says, “has always been central to our approach to sustainable growth.” One example of its “charitable and community engagement” has been a donation of £12.5 million to the Imperial War Museum North in Trafford Park, Manchester, to help it provide the area with a “world-class visitor attraction of great historical significance housed in an architectural masterpiece.” Perhaps a little of its largesse might one day extend in the Creek’s direction? Through Medway Ports it does own the navigation, after all.
We have seen how the Creek’s viability as a commercial waterway was in jeopardy after the opening of Whitstable Harbour in 1832 and how it was successfully revived at the instigation of the Municipal Charity Trustees. They promoted a scheme to improve it by ridding it of its two worst meanders, re-aligning its town centre course, and widening and deepening the whole channel from Nagden to its head, by Stonebridge Pond. Rejuvenated, the Creek re-opened to shipping in September 1843.
This investment soon earned a dividend. Port traffic steadily increased, to reach nearly 35,000 tons a year by 1868. On low-lying areas unsuitable for housing, new industry grew along its banks. In the basin a ship chandlery started on Ordnance Wharf, and a barge repair yard hard by, on the Brents bank. Fishermen could unload their catches close to North Lane, and sell them at the town end of the swing-bridge. Housing on the Brents rapidly expanded to the point that it needed its own places of worship, pubs and shops. It had its own strong sense of community, epitomised in 1908 when its people turned out in droves for a Creek regatta (pictured). John Matthew Goldfinch, the town’s leading shipbuilder, moved his yard and slipway to Standard Quay.
New employment opportunities meant increased demand for housing, and the town itself rapidly expanded to meet this. The legacy remains with us today in the shape of a rich and varied array of Victorian property. New amenities and community facilities were provided to match – the Rec, the Cottage Hospital, new schools and churches, for example.
Downsides? Yes, there were one or two. Raw sewage was still being discharged into the Creek, and the stench must have mingled malodorously with smoke from the stationary steam-engines which powered much of the new industry. It seems symptomatic that despite its historic aura and picturesque vistas Faversham was hardly ever visited by the artists who thronged towns like Rye and Sandwich. It must have been regarded as a dirty, smelly industrial place, not worth a first glance, let alone a second.
Throughout the later 19th century Creek trade continued to increase, and perhaps reached its apogee in 1895, when it handled inward trade of 446,481 tons and outward of 438,027.
In 1976, just 35 years ago, it was still a busy trading waterway. “A number of firms line its eastern bank,” reported the town’s Official Guide in 1976. “Dealing in such commodities as timber, fertiliser and animal feeds, they highlight Faversham’s function as a distribution centre for the surrounding agricultural area.” But then there was sudden, rapid decline. The last commercial cargo left in 1990, 14 years later.
Why this headlong collapse in trade? Why did the Creek emerge as a pioneer of the de-industrialisation which characterised Britain in the late 20th century? There seem to have been two main causes.
First, industry itself was in process of consolidation. To effect economies of scale, output was being concentrated on fewer, but bigger, centres of production and distribution. Second, a housing boom made industrial sites more valuable for their residential potential than for their existing uses. Governments encouraged such ‘brownfield’ redevelopments because they saved encroachments on Green Belts and farmland.
A third reason was perhaps that the Creek had lost its autonomy in 1968, when the Faversham Navigation Commission was dissolved, and its rights and duties were transferred to the Medway Ports Authority. The Authority was concentrating its attention, and resources, on the booming deep-water Port of Sheerness, and the Creek – a kind of ‘corner shop’ in relation to the shipping ‘supermarket’ of Sheerness – could not have come high in its priorities.
In the case of the Shipyard, which finally closed in 1973, there was a fourth reason. As in the case of counterparts elsewhere in Britain, it could no longer compete in international markets.
In this series of features on the Creek let’s now start a stroll along its banks to see how its town reach has evolved over the ages. To plan properly for the future you have to understand the past, and nowhere is this more true.
The best place to begin is at Stonebridge Pond, one of Faversham’s great beauty spots, at the end of West Street. Remember that before it became part of the Home Gunpowder Works in the 17th century its waters would have been tidal and that small sea-going vessels may once have been able to reach the lower end of Tanners Street, where the town’s first Guildhall stood.
Turn back towards the town, across the Westbrook, which feeds the Pond, and then turn left down Flood Lane. This was once lined by houses on either side, and here at work a hundred years ago you could have seen a stave-maker. He soaked his wood in the waters of the Pond and then bent them into shape for the barrels coopers made for the brewing and gunpowder industries.
The Lane isn’t so called because it floods, but because it led to the town’s Flood Mill, owned in the 16th century by Thomas Arden, of Arden of Feversham fame. This in turn was so called because it was a tide mill. At flood tide salt water built up in the Pond behind it, then at low tide was released slowly to power its water-wheel.
In 1559, as you’ll remember from an earlier feature in this series, it was displaced by a sluice designed to flush the Creek clear of silt. There is still a sluice behind the brick wall which conceals the Pond at this point but its purpose now is only to control water levels. Alongside it there are remains of gunpowder mills.
On the left of the Lane, where houses once stood, is a pleasant expanse of greensward, with an attractive view over the Pond. It’s bounded by one of the narrow-gauge canals that were used by punts to move gunpowder from process to process. This was safer than moving it by carts whose iron-shod wheels might strike dangerous sparks off the flints in a track.
The Lane narrows towards its end. On the right is the Purifier Building, the only surviving relic of the town’s Gas Works, opened in 1830. It goes back to the 1870s or 1880s, and derelict for years, but now recently occupied by the Faversham Creek Trust, to be used as a Boatbuilding School – at last the first step towards rejuvenating the Basin.
The "New" Swing bridge, a temporary structure is still in place and with all the money raised by public subscription we still await a new permanent bridge....
I live off you
and you live of me
and the whole world
lives off of everybody
see we gotta be exploited
see we gotta be exploited
be somebody be somebody
be somebody
the cat eats the rat
while the pimp beats the whore
as she just screams out
for more and more
see we gotta be exploited
see we gotta be exploited
be somebody be somebody
be somebody
70,000 people gathered at a concert in Yangon on December 17 2012. The concert was organised by MTV Exit, with support from USAID, AusAID, ASEAN and Walk Free to raise awareness to end human trafficking and exploitation. Jason Mraz performed and stage and the ILO supported the event. © ILO / P.Pichaiwongse
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License. To view a copy of this license, visit creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/igo/deed.en_US.
Entre BERRY, TOURAINE et SOLOGNE, notre exploitation familiale produit et propose à la vente plus de 6 variétés de fromages de chèvre, aux affinages goûteux et variés. Notre production s'organise dans le respect d'une agriculture durable et la conservation des méthodes traditionnelles de fabrication. Nous cultivons et récoltons nos foins et céréales, qui sont utilisés pour alimenter notre troupeau.
Nous vous attendons sur nos marchés parisiens, trois jours par semaine.
:: La Ferme de la Prairie, S.C.E.A. ::
Polyculture-élevage caprin et porcin, transformation fromagère et bouchère, vente directe
A.O.P. "Valençay" & "Selles-sur-Cher"
Siège social : La Jarrerie, CHABRIS (F-36 210) - Tél. / Fax : +33 (0)2.54.40.15.50
Mél : contact@lafermedelaprairie.fr
FaceBook : www.lafermedelaprairie.fr/facebook
La première maison de garde du canton du Valais ouvrira ses portes le 1er février 2014 à Viège, dans les locaux de l’hôpital. Elle est pensée pour toutes les urgences non vitales et prendra en charge les patients qui ont besoin d’un traitement médical le soir, le week-end et les jours fériés. La maison de garde apporte également une réponse à la pénurie de médecins généralistes dans le Haut-Valais en améliorant les conditions de la garde médicale. Le canton soutient financièrement sa mise en place et son exploitation pendant une phase pilote de deux ans. Du point de vue du canton, la maison de garde garantit une couverture en soins de premier recours de qualité pour la population et contribue à la maîtrise de l’augmentation des coûts de la santé.
Entre BERRY, TOURAINE et SOLOGNE, notre exploitation familiale produit et propose à la vente plus de 6 variétés de fromages de chèvre, aux affinages goûteux et variés. Notre production s'organise dans le respect d'une agriculture durable et la conservation des méthodes traditionnelles de fabrication. Nous cultivons et récoltons nos foins et céréales, qui sont utilisés pour alimenter notre troupeau.
Nous vous attendons sur nos marchés parisiens, trois jours par semaine.
:: La Ferme de la Prairie, S.C.E.A. ::
Polyculture-élevage caprin et porcin, transformation fromagère et bouchère, vente directe
A.O.P. "Valençay" & "Selles-sur-Cher"
Siège social : La Jarrerie, CHABRIS (F-36 210) - Tél. / Fax : +33 (0)2.54.40.15.50
Mél : contact@lafermedelaprairie.fr
FaceBook : www.lafermedelaprairie.fr/facebook
In 1862, a trading port was opened in Danshuei. In the meantime, the resources in the mountain area near Dasi were rapidly exploited and tea and camphor became the main exporting products. Furthermore, city streets including Sin Street, Caodianwei Street and Houwei Street were developed at the same time. In 1886, Mingchuan Liu established an administration office to undertake full responsibility for development which boosted the prosperity of Dasi street region and gave birth to Sinnan Street (now Jhongshan Road).
The early years of the colonial rule of Taiwan were the prime time of Dasi. In those years, the resources near the mountain region continued to be exploited and the life in the stores and wine houses on the streets of Dasi was hurly-burly. A city restructuring plan to expand roads and add arcades was announced in 1912 and therefore splendidly decorated archways mushroomed one by one.
As the excavation of Taoyuan Ditch in 1928 had quite an impact on the river transport of Dahan Stream, Dasi lost its position as an industry center and ceased to develop. Accordingly, to date Dasi old streets have been able to remain as they were in the old days.
In 1862, a trading port was opened in Danshuei. In the meantime, the resources in the mountain area near Dasi were rapidly exploited and tea and camphor became the main exporting products. Furthermore, city streets including Sin Street, Caodianwei Street and Houwei Street were developed at the same time. In 1886, Mingchuan Liu established an administration office to undertake full responsibility for development which boosted the prosperity of Dasi street region and gave birth to Sinnan Street (now Jhongshan Road).
The early years of the colonial rule of Taiwan were the prime time of Dasi. In those years, the resources near the mountain region continued to be exploited and the life in the stores and wine houses on the streets of Dasi was hurly-burly. A city restructuring plan to expand roads and add arcades was announced in 1912 and therefore splendidly decorated archways mushroomed one by one.
As the excavation of Taoyuan Ditch in 1928 had quite an impact on the river transport of Dahan Stream, Dasi lost its position as an industry center and ceased to develop. Accordingly, to date Dasi old streets have been able to remain as they were in the old days.
Exploitant : Transdev CSO
Réseau : Poissy Aval – 2 Rives de Seine
Ligne : 24
Lieu : Gare Sud de Poissy (Poissy, F-78)
Lien TC Infos : tc-infos.fr/id/17942
Entre BERRY, TOURAINE et SOLOGNE, notre exploitation familiale produit et propose à la vente plus de 6 variétés de fromages de chèvre, aux affinages goûteux et variés. Notre production s'organise dans le respect d'une agriculture durable et la conservation des méthodes traditionnelles de fabrication. Nous cultivons et récoltons nos foins et céréales, qui sont utilisés pour alimenter notre troupeau.
Nous vous attendons sur nos marchés parisiens, trois jours par semaine.
:: La Ferme de la Prairie, S.C.E.A. ::
Polyculture-élevage caprin et porcin, transformation fromagère et bouchère, vente directe
A.O.P. "Valençay" & "Selles-sur-Cher"
Siège social : La Jarrerie, CHABRIS (F-36 210) - Tél. / Fax : +33 (0)2.54.40.15.50
Mél : contact@lafermedelaprairie.fr
FaceBook : www.lafermedelaprairie.fr/facebook
020114-N-8242C-020
During a Sensitive Site Exploitation (SSE) mission, U.S. Navy SEALs (SEa, Air, Land) discover a large cache of munitions in one of more than 70 caves explored in the Zhawar Kili area of Eastern Afghanistan. Used by Al Qaeda and Taliban forces, the caves and other above-ground complexes were subsequently destroyed either by Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) personnel or through air strikes called in by the SEALs. Navy special operations forces are conducting missions in Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Credit photo to Official U.S. Navy photo. FOR THIS PHOTO DO NOT CREDIT PHOTOGRAPHER. Photo cleared for public release by LCDR Darryn James, USN, Naval Special Warfare Command, Public Affairs Officer.
To learn more about living and serving in Korea with the US Army, visit our official website at: imcom.korea.army.mil
Whether you are fresh off of active-duty, a military spouse or a seasoned professional, you will find a career with U.S. Army in Korea both challenging and inspiring. If you ready to join an award winning team and embark on the adventure of a lifetime, you can learn more about living and working in Korea online: imcom.korea.army.mil
Photos from the US Army in Korea can be viewed online at www.flickr.com/imcomkorea
The Morning Calm Weekly command information newspaper is available online at imcom.korea.army.mil
Published for those serving in the Republic of Korea - an assignment of choice.
About this image: Operation Enduring Freedom. A Department of Defense Image Collection.
These images are generally cleared for release and are considered in the public domain. Request credit be given the Department of Defense and individual photographer.
To learn more about living and serving in Korea with the US Army, visit our official website at: imcom.korea.army.mil
Whether you are fresh off of active-duty, a military spouse or a seasoned professional, you will find a career with U.S. Army in Korea both challenging and inspiring. If you ready to join an award winning team and embark on the adventure of a lifetime, you can learn more about living and working in Korea online: imcom.korea.army.mil
Photos from the US Army in Korea can be viewed online at www.flickr.com/imcomkorea
The Morning Calm Weekly command information newspaper is available online at imcom.korea.army.mil
Published for those serving in the Republic of Korea - an assignment of choice.
About this image: Operation Enduring Freedom. A Department of Defense Image Collection.
These images are generally cleared for release and are considered in the public domain. Request credit be given the Department of Defense and individual photographer.
To learn more about living and serving in Korea with the US Army, visit our official website at: imcom.korea.army.mil
Whether you are fresh off of active-duty, a military spouse or a seasoned professional, you will find a career with U.S. Army in Korea both challenging and inspiring. If you ready to join an award winning team and embark on the adventure of a lifetime, you can learn more about living and working in Korea online: imcom.korea.army.mil
Photos from the US Army in Korea can be viewed online at www.flickr.com/imcomkorea
The Morning Calm Weekly command information newspaper is available online at imcom.korea.army.mil
Published for those serving in the Republic of Korea - an assignment of choice.
About this image: Operation Enduring Freedom. A Department of Defense Image Collection.
These images are generally cleared for release and are considered in the public domain. Request credit be given the Department of Defense and individual photographer.
Exploitant : Transports Voisin
Réseau Tourisme
Substitution SNCF en raison de travaux pendant le week-end du 11 novembre 2022.
Hi guys, today will be my first video tutorial on a game which I really like right now, which is Genshin Impact. This game is available now in Android, iOS, PC and PS4. This game is an open world action rpg game more BOTW but with waifus and husbandos! Anyway if you want to an easy primogems/intertwined fate exploit this is the right video to watch. Carefully follow all the step by step guide into your phone in order for it to work properly.
Official Site: appmonarch.com/genshinimpact/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About Game:
Step into Teyvat, a vast world teeming with life and flowing with elemental energy.
You and your sibling arrived here from another world. Separated by an unknown god, stripped of your powers, and cast into a deep slumber, you now awake to a world very different from when you first arrived.
Thus begins your journey across Teyvat to seek answers from The Seven — the gods of each element. Along the way, prepare to explore every inch of this wondrous world, join forces with a diverse range of characters, and unravel the countless mysteries that Teyvat holds...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do hit the bell button in order to Subscribe into my channel for more updates and new content.
.
.
***** Selected for sale in the GETTY IMAGES COLLECTION on April 11th 2015
CREATIVE RF gty.im/547669387 MOMENT OPEN COLLECTION**
.
.
Photograph taken at an altitude of Seven metres, prior to the magic prior to the Golden hour around sunrise at 05:09am, (sunrise was at precisely 06.15am) on Saturday 6th September 2014 off the Patricia Bay Highway 17, on Lochside Drive close to Frost Avenue and the Lochside Waterfront Park, in beautiful Sidney by the sea on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
Here, I am standing beside the wooden decked viewing platform, looking over from beautiful Sidney by the sea on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.
The Great Blue Heron (Ardea Herodias) is a wading bird in the Heron family Ardeidae and found in North America, Central Ameria, the Caribean and Galapagos Islands. One of the largest of Herons, it has a head to tail length of 01-137 centimtres (36-54 inches) and a wingspan of 187-201 centimtres (66-79 inches). They are found where my family live, and naturally very wary of mankind, flying off as soon as you are within fifty to one hundred yards of them.
.
.
Nikon D800 200mm 1/15s f/2.8 iso100 RAW (14 bit) Manual focus. Manual exposure. Matrix metering. Auto white balance.
Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED IF VRII. Jessops 77mm UV filter. Nikon MB-D12 battery grip. Two Nikon EN-EL batteries. Nikon DK-17M Magnifying Eyepiece. Nikon DK-19 soft rubber eyecup. Manfrotto MT057C3 057 Carbon Fiber Tripod 3 Sections (Payload 18kgs). Manfrotto MH057M0-RC4 057 Magnesium Ball Head with RC4 Quick Release (Payload 15kgs). Manfrotto quick release plate 410PL-14.Jessops Tripod bag. Optech Tripod Strap.Digi-Chip 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC. Lowepro Transporter camera strap. Lowepro Vertex 200 AW camera bag. Nikon MC-DC2 remote shutter release. Nikon GP-1 GPS unit.
.
.
LATITUDE: N 48d 38m 16.26s
LONGITUDE: W 123d 24m 12.34s
ALTITUDE: 7.0m
RAW (TIFF) FILE SIZE: 103.00MB
PROCESSED (JPeg) SIZE: 12.75MB
.
.
PROCESSING POWER:
HP 110-352na Desktop PC with AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 APU processor. AMD Radeon HD8400 graphics. 8 GB DDR3 Memory with 1TB SATA storage. 64-bit Windows 8.1. Verbatim USB 2.0 1TB desktop hard drive. WD My Passport Ultra 1tb USB3 Portable hard drive. Nikon VIEWNX2 Version 2.10.3 64bit. Adobe photoshop Elements 8 Version 8.0 64bit
Children who are victims of maltreatment and crimes of abuse and sexual exploitation will have, starting in November, a space for specialized and differentiated care in the facilities of the Judicial Police in the islands of Santiago, São Vicente e Sal.
This is a joint initiative between the UNICEF, the Instituto Cabo-Verdiano da Criança e Adolescente (ICCA) "The Cape Verdean Institute of Children and Adolescent" and the Judicial Police of Cape Verde (PJ), and has the objective to provide an adapted environment to care the physical and emotional conditions of children; minimizing the cycle of police reports and to protect the victim of sexual abuse, avoiding his/her excessive exposure to various institutions and bureaucracy. The existing report channels, in spite of performing their role, tend to victimize the victim, therefore, there is the necessity to improve the quality of issues related to reporting and the criminal investigation process; reinforcing more and more the concept of children's rights. This project consists in a space for psychological care installed into the Judicial Police's facilities, equipped with a video and audio system imperceptible to children, creating for them an environment where they can express freely.
For Mrs. Narjess Saidane, the UNICEF Assistant Representative, "the protection of children is not only an objective that all of us have, but is a special responsibility shared by everyone." UNICEF reports, with some satisfaction, the engagement and the achievement of partnerships that are fundamental to child victims of maltreatment and sexual abuse; while recognizing the equally important role that prevention represents as a way to minimize cases of violence against children.
According to Mrs. Madalena Neves, the Minister of Labor, Family and Social Solidarity, "to face the situation of violation of children's rights, it is necessary a network to mobilize partners, communities, NGO's and local institutions, and principally, working with families to reinforce the concept of prevention; identifying signs of maltreatment and sexual abuse."
For the realization of this project, that will also have an appropriate kid's corner with games and toys, a protocol was put into effect that according to the ICCA President, Mrs. Marilena Baessa, " is a step that will accelerate the judicial hearing process of children, where psychological care will work together with the Judicial Police investigation."
She also added "what we really want is only one front door for the criminal report, the physical exam to confirm abuse, the psychological care, and the investigation process; the main purpose of the children's protection network is that the victim is heard only once in a single institution."
According to Mr. José Carlos Correia, the National Director of the Judicial Police, "the spaces will have a video and audio system as well as an appropriate kid's corner, allowing children to be more comfortable to freely express themselves, whether through a drawing, gesture or other behaviors. There will be a monitoring system by specialized technicians, specifically psychologists that will make a report about the children's behavior with the objective that this testimony will have a judicial validation."
The inauguration of these spaces is scheduled for November 20th during the celebration of the XXI Anniversary of the Convention of Children's Rights.