View allAll Photos Tagged developing

Like the tracery, not the flower. Though I suppose one must be named for the other. Like the others, but using absolute values of sine. makes scallops.

  

In 1964, Ford developed the 427 cubic-inch V8 engine specifically to compete in NASCAR. This engine was part of Ford’s effort to dominate stock car racing and was introduced in the Ford Galaxie and other race models. The 427 V8 was designed to provide maximum performance, with up to 425 horsepower in its most powerful configuration, and was paired with a 4-barrel carburetor and a high-performance camshaft to optimize power output at high RPMs.

 

The 427 engine featured a wide-block design, and its development was crucial for Ford to compete against rival manufacturers like Chevrolet and Chrysler, who were also developing powerful engines for NASCAR at the time. Ford's 427 V8 was a success in racing, helping to elevate Ford's presence in NASCAR during the early 1960s, although its use in production cars was somewhat limited.

 

Ford's 427 engine became legendary for its power, performance, and reliability in both racing and street applications. It’s still considered one of the great American performance engines of the muscle car era.

 

#Ford427 #NASCAR #FordPerformance #ClassicFord #V8Power #FordRacing #427V8 #AmericanMuscle #RaceEngines #FordHistory #MuscleCarLegends #1964Ford

Contemporary dance was developed during the mid twentieth century and has since then grown to become one of the dominant genres throughout the world. Technically, it is considered to be closely related to modern dance, ballet and other classical concert dance styles.

 

In terms of the focus of its technique, contemporary dance tends to combine the strong and controlled legwork of ballet with modern dance's stress on the torso, and also employs contract-release, floor work, fall and recovery, and improvisation characteristic of modern dance.

 

Contemporary dance by Atul Kumar on World Dance Day 2016 at Alliance Francaise, Bengaluru.

Develop: Tetenal Monopack RA-4 21C-1,20 min

Zeiss Ikon Donata 9x12 , Tessar 1:4,5/135 ( 1928 )

Paper: Kodak Supra Endura

Hasselblad 500C

 

Ilford FP4 125

two-section articulated streetcar model 71-421R "Dovlatov" was developed specially for St. Petersburg at Uraltransmash of Rostec State Corporation. Uraltransmash is a subsidiary of Uralvagonzavod, one of the leading companies in the field of locomotive and railcar construction in Russia. The enterprise is known primarily for its military products - artillery systems, the production of streetcars is part of the conversion program. Two versions of streetcars are produced, which are named after famous Russian and Soviet writers: three-section model 71-431R "Dostoevsky" and two-section model 71-421R - "Dovlatov". They operate on route No. 6, which runs through the center of St. Petersburg. A total of 76 units of retro streetcars were ordered - 42 model 71-431R "Dostoevsky" and 34 cars of model 71-421R "Dovlatov". The design of the new streetcars echoes the famous Leningrad streetcar LM-57 informally named "Stilyaga" (the mod) but uses the most advanced technologies. In particular, it integrates an active safety system that can independently perform braking, as well as a system for monitoring the driver's condition.

 

For a long time the progress in city tram design was retarded by the absency of low-level bogie. Old Soviet bogie model can not allowed to develop really modern low-floor tram models. Old type can be seen see here www.flickr.com/photos/cetus13/50020591482/in/album-721577...

At early 2000s the one of the leaders in streetcar production in the USSR and Russia, The Ust-Katav Wagon-Building Plant named after S. M. Kirov (Ust-Katavskiy Carriage Works, UKCW; Усть-Катавский вагоностроительный завод имени С. М. Кирова) located in Ust-Katav, Chelyabinsk Oblast, Russia started to develop modern model of city tram with all low-level floor that needed design of new special bogies. But the innovation tram of the model 71-625 has never been produced. After the design of the new tramway bogie was completed, the UKCW unexpectedly broke off relations with its Trading house that had sponsored the development. In 2013 the chief engineer of UKCP moved to a new company founded by Felix Vinokur which bought the rights for the bogie after his leaving the founders of the Trading house Ust-Katav Wagon-Building Plant LLC. Thus, a new tram manufacturer appeared in Russia, The PC Transport Systems LLC. Example of their bogie see here www.flickr.com/photos/cetus13/52962023548/in/album-721577...

It seems that another type of modern bogie was redeveloped by Ust-Katavskiy Carriage Works or even Uraltransmash (?) that utilise simplified Chevron rubber primary suspension instead of helical spring and swing arm.

 

Barrel rings rest on the side of the Blacksmith's Shop at Millbrook Village in Blairstown, NJ. Shot back on 10-20-2013.

 

Camera: Bronica SQ-A medium format film camera with a Bronica Zenzanon 50mm lens. Metered with Pentax 1 degree spot meter.

 

Film: Kodak Ektar 100 ISO color negative film.

 

Development: Self Developed film using Tetenal C41 color development press kit in a Paterson Universal Tank.

 

Scanning: Negative scanned with Epson V600. Cropped in Lightroom to intended size.

 

film: HP5

develop: Fomadon R09, Rodinal Stand

cam: Rolleicord IV

patrickjoust | tumblr | facebook | books

 

...

 

Leica M3 and Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.4

 

Kodak TMAX 400 developed at 500 in Diafine

 

...

 

I was very pleased to get my M3 back after a thorough CLA from Stephen Gandy (cameraquest.com). It's working great and I'm looking forward to using it this summer.

Galle Face | West Coast, Sri Lanka

Subscribe for my future posts via 😍😍😍

www.facebook.com/GihanAnuradhaPhotography/

www.instagram.com/bg_anuradha_photo/

#colombo #galleface #city #architecture #building #night #dusk #architecturalphotography #travel #photography #srilanka #HPOW #natgeo #canon #canonphotos

by Dru Blair

Mixed Media on Illustration Board, 2007

Donated by Daniel K. Hilton

Under the highly secret Project OXCART, CIA developed the A 12 as the U-2’s successor, intended to meet our nation’s need for a very fast, very high-flying reconnaissance aircraft that could avoid Soviet air defenses. This painting depicts the first BLACK SHEILD reconnaissance flight on May , 1967 over North Vietnam. Piloted by Mele Vojvodich, Article 131 took off in a torrential downpour just before 1100 local Okinawa time. The A-12 had never operated in heavy rain before, but weather over the target area was forecast as satisfactory, so the flight went ahead. Vojvodich flew the planned route at 80,000 feet and Mach 3.1, refueled immediately after taking off and during each of two loops over Thailand, and safely touched down at Kadena with a total flight time of three hours and 39 minutes. The intelligence mission was a resounding success: after detailed examination of nearly a mile of film that was collected, photointerpreters found no surface-to-surface missiles that might threaten US and allied military forces in the South and assessed the status of 70 of the 190 known surface-to-air missile sites and nine other priority targets. Contrary to some published accounts, Chinese or North Vietnamese radar did not track the aircraft, nor did North Vietnam fire any missiles at it. The A-12 had proven itself a valuable imagery collector, untouchable by hostile air defenses far below.

 

For more information on CIA history and this painting please visit www.cia.gov

various film & cameras | home developed & scanned on epson v600

Needs more study, likewise more shell.

Develop: Paterson FX-37

Film 24x36: Fomapan 100

ap: Nikon FG

Olympus Pen EE-3 (half frame) | Kodak Portra 400 - fresh

Date: Oct. 7-10, 2022

Location: MA, ME, NH, VT, USA

 

Digitized with Lumix GX85 + Olympus 30mm Macro | Atrodona Copy Box + Negative Carrier | OnePlus 8 Pro Light Table

Negative Lab Pro v2.4.1 | Color Model: None | Pre-Sat: 3 | Tone Profile: Linear + Gamma | WB: Kodak | LUT: None

Home developed with Cinestill Cs41 | 3:30/104F Dev | 8:00/104F Blix | Rondinax 35U Dev Box

Developed using darktable 3.0.0

A big success by any standard both in and out of competition, the Lancia Stratos was developed as a homologation Special for European rallying. After production ceased it became a cult car and is now highly priced as the ‘modern classis' it is. Conceived strictly for rallying, the Lancia Stratos however makes an exciting road car, though it is very far from GT standards in both luxury and refinement.

 

The concept vehicle responsible for providing the inspiration for the Lancia Stratos Rally car is the Lancia (Bertone) Stratos. The Stratos featured a 1584 cc V4 DOHC with 115 bhp horsepower at 200 rpm. Designed by Marcello Gandini, the same designer responsible for the Lamborghini Countach and Lamborghini Miura, the Stratos concept was a development of the Bertone designed Alfa Romeo Carabo concept from 1968. The Carabo concept was also a Gandini creation.

 

First revealed at the Turin Motor Show in October of 1970, the Lancia Stratos HF prototype was a styling exercise for Bertone. A futuristic design, the Stratos featured a wedge shaped profile that stood just 33 inches from the ground. Since the vehicle was so low, conventional doors could not be used and instead one accessed the interior of the Stratos by a hinged windscreen. Drivers had to flip up the windscreen and walk into the vehicle. Once inside, visibility was quite restricted since the front windscreen was narrow. The cockpit of the Lancia Stratos was designed specifically for fast forest flying.

 

The body design was predictably minimal to hold down weight and bulk with its most distinctive features being semi-concealed A-pillars and a door beltline that sharply upswept to the top of the daylight opening. The shape of the resulting unbroken expanse of glass gave the tunnelback roof the appearance of a futuristic crash helmet.

 

The main body structure was steel, like the chassis, and weight-saving fiberglass was used for tilt-up nose and tail sections. A small box above and behind the powertrain was where cargo space was held. Bins were also molded into the interior door panels for storing helmets.

 

The same engine utilized on the Lancia 1600 HF Fulvia was used on the Bertone designed Lancia Stratos Zero prototype. A triangular shaped panel hinged upwards to allow access to the mid-mounted engine. Developed for rallying purposes, the legendary Lancia Stratos was unveiled in 1974. The production vehicle Stratos was powered by a 2.4 liter mid-mounted V6 from the Ferrari Dino.

 

Like no other Lancia before or after, the Lancia Stratos was a shock that left enthusiasts and rally fans breathless. For almost a decade the Stratos streaked across the rally landscape much like a brilliant comet, while discarding past principles, it also fearlessly represented something undeniably new. A phenomenal rally car, the Lancia Stratos set an example to every other car manufacturer in the world. The first viable purpose-built rally car ever built, the Stratos was probably the last purpose-built rally car.

 

Created by the Bertone coachbuilding company, the Stratos was both radical, yet fully functional. Fiorio realized that for Lancia to continue to compete in the World Rally Championship, the Fulvia HF would need a much more powerful replacement. A the time, four-wheel drive was not an option, so a mid-engined configuration seemed ideal. To reinforce Fiori's convictions, the Bertone show car was featured soon after with a mid-engine Fulvia V4.

 

The introduction of the Ford mid-engine purpose-built GT70 rally car at the 1971Brussels Motor Show was what truly inspired the impetus behind the Stratos proect. It was after this appearance that Lancia's general manager, Pierugo Gobbato contacted Nuccio Bertone. Though the GT70 was actually never put in production by Ford, it was this that sparked the inspiration of the Lancia Stratos.

 

As always, there was a minimum production requirement, 500 units for the Lancia Stratos. This was an awkward figure that would necessitate funds for at least semi-permanent tooling as well as design and development. This was a job well suited to the Italian industry. Fiorio masterminded the project, and he envisioned a short, wide coupe with transverse midships drivetrain. Bertone was immediately contracted to style the vehicle and built its unit body/chassis structure.

 

43 months passed in between the time of conception to the actual birth of the Lancia Stratos. The vehicle was developed to take over and make Lancia the outright world rally champ. The Stratos was both short and wide, with a wheelbase of only 7 feet 1.8 inches, the width of the vehicle was only 5 feet 8.9 inches. Weighing only 1958 lbs, the Stratos was only 3 feet 7.9 inches high. Able to easily exceed 140 mph, the Stratos featured 190 horsepower in roadgoing trim.

 

Having studied every possible powerteam in the Fiat/Lancia group, Fiorio secured 2.4 liter V-6s and 5-speed transaxles from Ferrari, which was an ideal chouse as they'd be installed exactly as the Dino 246. All-independent suspension, rack-and-pinion steering and four-wheel disc brakes were all specifically designed for the Lancia Stratos.

 

After 1978 the Stratos was officially retired and no longer was officially entered by the Lancia factory, the vehicle was still going strong. The Lancia team was headed by by Sandro Munari who won its first event as a homologated entry in October of 1974. Mun ari entered alone 40 events with the Lancia Stratos and won 14. The Stratos also won the World Rally Championship in 1974, 1975, and 1976 and remained competitive for another four years. The final major win came in 1979 when a Lancia Stratos entered by the Monaco importer won the famed Monte Carlo Rally. Finally the factory retired the Stratos.

 

By Jessica Donaldson

 

[Text from ConceptCarz.com]

 

www.conceptcarz.com/z21737/Lancia-Stratos-HF.aspx

 

This Lego miniland-scale Lancia Stratos Rally Racer has been created for Flickr LUGNuts' 100th Build Challenge - our Centenary, titled 'One Hundred Ways to Win!'. In this challenge, a list of 100 challenges is available, kept by the admins. Individuals wishing to enter, request a number from 1-100 (so long as it has not already been requested) - and the admins assign the individual build challenge associated with that number.

 

In the case of admins entering models - they request that a general LUGNuts member assigns a number - and the admin must build to that challenge number.

 

In this case, the number 78 was chosen for me, corresponding to the challenge: '78.Any vehicle from the year you were born'. I was born in 1972, the year that the first Stratos rally cars were built, entering in the Rally Championship as Group 5 (un-homologated) entries.

 

The road cars required to homologate for Group 4 were built through 1973 to 1978.

Minolta Weathermatic-A 110 Waterproof Camera

26mm f3.5 Lens

Lomography Color Tiger 200

 

Developed by The Darkroom - Enhanced Scan

35mm

Fomapan 400

Lab developed

Not the cherry blossom being late the photographer being well behind developing and scanning.

On the ever lovely 5222/DoubleXX with the D96.

Bit of a heat wave here and couldn't wait to cool the developer out of the cupboard, which usually needs a little warming to 20C, it read 24C so I decreased the time by an educated/lucky guess. Another reliable was the lens on the M2, the 50mm f2 Planar, this a chrome version which produces the best image (insert smiley here)

Monica outside the barn at Cana Island Lighthouse in Door County

RAF Horsham St. Faith was a Royal Air Force station at Norwich, Norfolk, which was operational from 1939 to 1963. It was then developed as Norwich International Airport (NWI)

The airfield was first developed in 1939 and officially opened on 1st. June 1940 as a RAF bomber station. It had been built with five C-type hangars.

The first aircraft there were Bristol Blenheims dispersed from 21 Squadron at RAF Watton, Norfolk in 1939 but the first operational aircraft there were fighters, Supermarine Spitfires of 19 and 66 squadrons from RAF Duxford, Cambridgeshire. Boulton Paul Defiant's of A Flight, 264 Squadron began sorties on 12th. May 1940.

The first operational bomber units were 139 Squadron and 114 Squadron of No. 2 Group of RAF Bomber Command with the Blenheim IV. 114 Squadron then moved onto RAF Oulton, Norfolk which was a new satellite station for Horsham.

In August 1941, an aircraft from 18 Squadron flying from Horsham St. Faith en route to attack a power station at Gosnay, France, dropped a box by parachute over the south-west corner of St. Omer - Longeunesse airfield, containing a pair of legs for Wing Commander Douglas Bader who had been shot down over France and had lost his artificial limbs in the process.

In December 1941, 105 Squadron arrived from RAF Swanton Morley, Norfolk to begin training on the new de Havilland Mosquito fast bomber and from June 1942 the squadron carried out photographic and bombing missions over Germany.

In September 1942 Horsham St. Faith was made available to the USAAF for use by the Eighth Air Force. The USAAF designated the airfield as Station 123 (HF).

The first USAAF tenants at the airfield were the 319th. BG (M), arriving from RAF Shipdham, Norfolk on 4th. October 1942. Flying the Martin B-26 Marauder medium bomber, the group stayed until 11th. November when the group reassigned to Twelfth Air Force as part of the North African Campaign at Saint-Leu Airfield, Algeria.

The airfield then lay unused over the winter until the arrival of the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt's of the 56th. FG, transferring from RAF Kings Cliffe, Cambridgeshire on 6th. April 1943. The group, nicknamed 'Zemke's Wolkpack' after their commander, Colonel Hubert 'Hub' Zemke consisted of the following squadrons:

61st. Fighter Squadron (HV)

62nd. Fighter Squadron (LM)

63rd. Fighter Squadron (UN)

The group entered combat with a fighter sweep in the area of St. Omer on 13th. April 1943, and flew numerous missions over France, the Low Countries, and Germany to escort bombers that attacked industrial establishments, V-weapon sites, submarine pens, and other targets on the Continent.

On 8th. July, the group had to move to RAF Halesworth, Suffolk when work started on enlarging Horsham St. Faith for use as a heavy bomber station with hard surface runways and concrete hardstands and a perimeter track. The move was not particularly popular with the men of the 56th. who had to give up the comparative comfort of Horsham's barracks for the temporary huts and muddy accommodations at Halesworth.

With runway construction finished, the 458th. BG (H) arrived at Horsham St. Faith late in January 1944 from Tonopah AAF, Nevada. The group consisted of the following squadrons:

752nd. Bomb Squadron

753rd .Bomb Squadron

754th. Bomb Squadron

755th. Bomb Squadron

The group flew its first mission on 24th. February with Consolidated B-24 Liberators.

On 2nd. March, B-24-H, serial number 41-28669 and nicknamed 'Ginny' of the 752th. BS, took off on it's first operational mission, commanded by 1st. Lt. Kenneth Gorrell. Shortly after take off it stalled possibly due to icing on the wings and crashed at Hellesdon in Norwich which was under it's flightpath. Of the crew of ten, seven died in the crash, the other three, including the pilot, returned to duty.

In September 1944, like other bomber groups in the area it participated in shipping fuel to American forces in France, these were known as 'Trucking missions'

At approximately 1630, on the 20th. September, B-24-H, serial number 42-7516 and nicknamed 'Gator' of the 755th. BS took off, heading to Clastres under the command of 2nd. Lt. Herbert H. Humke. This aircraft had only flown on 27 combat missions, but those missions had taken their toll. The aircraft had been declared, "unfit for tactical use" almost one month before. The aircraft was loaded with almost 7,000 pounds (3,530 galls) of fuel and the day was hot with no wind blowing, less than ideal take-off conditions for a heavily laden aircraft. Add to this an inexperienced pilot and the danger is multiplied. While 2nd. Lt. Humke had 500 hours total flying time, he had no combat experience although he had been checked out as proficient and ready to fly combat, but this would be his first take-off in a fully loaded Liberator.

Witnesses stated that the Liberator used the entire length of the runway before becoming airborne. They also stated that the nose did not appear excessively high at any time during the take-off run but that the engines sounded normal and that the pilot seemed to be having difficulty in getting aircraft into the air when the runway ran out. The Liberator just managed to clear the airfield's perimeter and flew on for one mile before crashing at 16.31 hrs. and 30 seconds on Hastings Avenue, Hellesdon, killing Mrs Ethel Smith from number 21 and causing minor injuring to five other civilians. Twenty civilian homes were either damaged or completely destroyed by fire and impact of the aircraft. Six of the crew died including the pilot and four survived. The responsibility for the accident was listed as 'unknown' but undoubtedly the pilot’s inexperience was a contributing factor.

The group flew its last combat mission on 25th. April 1945, flying 240 missions, losing 47 aircraft in combat along with another 18 in non-combat accidents before returning to Sioux Falls AAF, South Dakota in July 1945. The group claimed the destruction of 28 enemy aircraft.

The airfield was transferred back to RAF Fighter Command on 10th. July 1945. Four Gloster Meteor Squadrons one of which, 307 Squadron, was entirely composed of Polish personnel, were the first RAF aircraft to return with the jets arrived during 1946-48.

RAF Horsham St. Faith was a front-line RAF station for many years and its squadrons participated in many post-war exercises until the station was closed on 1st. August 1963.

With the end of military control the airfield was redeveloped into Norwich International Airport (NWI).

  

Last night some small cells developed in northen NSW. Enticed out by Vince, we drove south to meet it at Boonah. The storm pronptly developed heavy rain, curtailing other shots we had in mind, but we managed to see some good shots at Peak Crossing on the way home. 13 September 2023.

Developed in Caffenol C-L Stand 30min@ 20°C; Ilford FP4+; Pentax P30; SMC Pentax 50mm f.1.7; Epson V600

  

- Roll : Juin - N&B - Le Bonhomme - Villers-le-Lac (02)

The Development of Armidale. What is so special about Armidale? Well it is a cathedral city with both Anglican and Catholic cathedrals; it is a wealthy city with a prosperous hinterland and many mansions; it is Australia’s highest city with a bracing English style climate; it is an education city with a university and several prestigious boarding schools; it was one of a number of sites considered for the Australian capital city site after Federation; it has been one of the centres wanting to secede from the rest of NSW; and it has an interesting history with a squatting phase, mining phase, agricultural phase etc. It is also a regional capital and has always been considered the “capital” of the New England region - a distinctive Australian region defined by rainfall, altitude, etc. And it has always been on the main inland route between Sydney and Brisbane but that is no longer of importance in this aviation transport era.

 

The origins of Armidale district go back to Henry Dumaresq when he squatted on land here and took out leaseholds on Saumarez and Tilbuster stations in 1834. He and other squatters soon displaced the local aboriginal people after a period of considerable violence. The turning point in terms of the city came in 1839 when George Macdonald was appointed Commissioner for Crown Lands for the New England District. He arrived with a small police force and he set about building a house and office headquarters. The site he chose is now Macdonald Park. NSW land regulations allowed the government to set aside reserves for future towns or to resume leasehold land for the creation of towns. Macdonald immediately surveyed the local landowners of which there were 37 in New England, giving it a population of 422 people. But this was the convict era of NSW and half of the population were assigned convicts. They provided the brawn to develop the stations, build the shepherd’s huts, dig the wells and dams, and fell the timber and clear the land. Of the original 422 people in New England only 10 were females, probably wives of shepherds or convict women who were cooks etc. Most stations had between 8 and 12 assigned convicts. Saumarez for example, had 11 convicts and 8 free male workers in 1839. In 1841 convicts still accounted for 42% of the population of New England and as they completed their seven year terms, many stayed on to become the founders of towns like Armidale. Transportation of convicts to NSW ceased around 1843 and so convict assignees gradually declined in the region, but ex-convicts remained.

 

Macdonald named the town site Armidale after the Armadale estate on the Isle of Skye. Macdonald had barracks built for the police men, stables, a store shed, his own house and he enclosed some paddocks for the growing of wheat and vegetables. His first years were often taken up with writing reports about Aboriginal massacres and deaths including the Bluff Rock Massacre on the Everett brothers’ run at Ollera near Guyra. Macdonald seldom investigated reports of Aboriginal deaths closely. He was a pompous little man, just 4 feet 10 inches tall with a deformed hunched back. But he was meticulous in most matters. In 1841 he was jilted just before his proposed wedding to a local woman. He remained in Armidale until 1848 overseeing the early development of the town.

 

By 1843 a small town had emerged with a Post Office and a Court House, blacksmith, wheelwright, hotel, general store etc. The town provided government and commercial services to the surrounding pastoral estates. But the town reserve included other lands that were sold or leased to farmers- agriculturists who grew wheat. By 1851 Armidale had two flour mills. The long transport route to Newcastle and on to Sydney meant all wheat had to be converted to flour before it was transported to the markets. The old dray route down to the coast was also used for the transport of the region’s major product- wool. The official town was surveyed and the streets laid out in 1849. Many of the early pastoralists were commemorated in street names – Beardy, Dumaresq, Dangar, Marsh, Faulkner and Rusden to name a few.

 

In 1851 Armidale also had local industries for the regional population- two breweries, general stores, chemist, butcher etc. In the early 1850s the churches began to erect their first buildings and the town became “civilised” with more and more women living there. Then gold discoveries near Uralla and towards the eastern escarpment boosted the town’s population and services. A newspaper was founded, a hospital was built and the population reached 858 in 1856. A gaol was built on South Hill in 1863, the town became a municipality in 1864, and the Robertson’s Land Acts (1861) were introduced throughout NSW to break up the big pastoral estates for ‘selectors” or small scale farmers on 320 acre blocks. This boosted the total population of the Armidale region but as noted elsewhere the pastoralists also used this era to buy up large lots of land freehold for themselves by the process of “dummying”- using relatives and employees to buy small parcels of land which they sold on to the large land owners. But the early years of growing wheat around Armidale collapsed in the 1870s as the wheat lands of South Australia opened up and cheap SA imports destroyed the New England wheat industry. Other forms of agriculture were then taken up in New England.

 

Another key factor in the growth of Armidale in the late 1870s and into the 1890s was its English style climate. In 1885 Armidale was proclaimed a city. It had a population of 3,000 residents - a remarkable achievement for a locale so far from the coast. This was of course boosted further with the arrival of the railway in Armidale in 1883. The line soon reached the Queensland border with a connection on to Brisbane. But the railway was not all good news as the city of Armidale could then receive beer and other supplies on the railway from Newcastle or Sydney and some local industries closed down with the arrival of the railway. By the 1880s the boom years were apparent as large mansions and prominent commercial buildings were erected in the growing city.

 

The fact that Armidale is equidistant from Sydney and Brisbane was one of the factors considered in its application to become the new Federal capital. The fact that Armidale had nearby reservoirs and a large water supply big enough for a large capital city was also an important consideration. The new Federal government was considering the site of the capital city after a long drought so access to water supplies was a major concern. As we known the site of Canberra near Yass was finally selected despite its lesser supply of water but it was closer to Sydney.

 

Regional Art gallery and Aboriginal Art Centre.

This gallery is one of the regional galleries funded by the NSW government. It is especially noted for its outstanding collection of Australia Art which was donated to the gallery by Howard Hinton (1867-1948.) Hinton was a company director and art collector. Despite poor eyesight he travelled the world looking at galleries and he befriended several artists. In Sydney he met and lived with noted Australian painter such as Tom Roberts, Arthur Stretton and Julian Ashton. He made his first donation of art to the National Gallery of NSW in 1914. Over the years he gave 122 paintings to that gallery. He was a trustee of the National Gallery of NSW from 1919-1948. He was knighted in 1935 for his services to art. In 1928 when the National Gallery of NSW refused some of his donations he decided to endow the relatively new Teachers’ College at Armidale with a collection of art. The Director of Education who was in charge of the College concurred with the idea and the first paintings were received in Armidale in 1929. He later gave over 1,000 paintings to the Teachers’ College and over 700 art books for its library. His collection illustrated the development of Australian art in particular from the 1880s through to the 1940s. The artist Norman Lindsey described the collection as the only complete collection of Australian art. A portrait of Howard Hinton is held by the former Armidale College of Advanced Education which is now part of the University of New England. The art collection has been transferred on to the Armidale Regional Art Gallery. The Hinton Collection is partially on display always. The Persian Love Cake in the Art Gallery café is to die for!

 

Teachers College and the Education Museum.

In the 19th century most school teachers were untrained but a few were trained in Fort Street Normal School in Sydney from 1848. The first teachers college was not established until 1912 in some temporary buildings. The college opened in new premises in 1920 which were not completed until 1924. But Armidale got the second teachers college in NSW in 1928 with its first proper building being constructed in 1930 at the height of the Great Depression. Why was this so? The answer is political. New England was in the midst of a secession movement in the late 1920s and New England was the home to several Country Party politicians with great influence. The Country Party came to power in NSW in 1927 and the new Minister for Education, David Drummond was the local member for New England. Drummond favoured a second teachers college because the staff at Sydney Teachers College had complained that country students coming to Sydney to be trained were being seduced by the ways of the sinful city and they seldom wanted rural school postings after a stint in Sydney! A Teachers College in Armidale would stop the debauchery! Although Armidale Teachers’ College was the first, the government made plans for additional teachers colleges in Bathurst and Wagga Wagga which eventually were established. The 1863 gaol in Armidale was closed in 1920 and was demolished to make way for the new teachers college building. As one commentator said at the time “a new Parthenon on the hill was to replace the penitentiary on the hill”!

 

The government appointed Cecil Bede Newling (1883-1975) as the principal of the new college. Today the old Teachers College building is named the Newling building. Newling had gone out as a probationary teacher in 1899 before attending courses at Fort Street Normal School from 1904. He later described his teacher training as dull. He was first appointed head teacher at Cootamundra in 1923, and then inspector at Broken Hill in 1925. He had a rapid rise in the Education Department. By 1925 he had also been awarded a BA and a MA from the University of Sydney. As first principal of the Armidale Teachers College he influenced everything. He had a forceful personality and took interest in all aspects of the College from the grounds and gardens to the curriculum and to the health of the students. During World War Two he became secret custodian of priceless art and written materials from the Mitchell Library and the National Gallery of NSW. He retired in 1947 with his “college on the hill” well established and valued. It is open weekday afternoons from 2 to 4 pm to members of the public.

 

Central Park Historical Walk and Nearby Structures.

The buildings of significance around Central Park are the old Wesley Methodist Hall and the now Uniting Church- just off the Park in Rusden Street; St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church and Hall; St. Peter’s Anglican Cathedral, Deanery and Parish Hall; and St. Mary’s Catholic Cathedral. Nearby along Faulkner Street is the Town Hall( just off Faulkner), the Post Office, the Court House, and the entrance to the Mall.

•Masonic Building. The Lodge here in Armidale purchased this land in 1860 and had a lodge built by a local builder Frederick Nott. A new severe classical style Lodge was erected in 1924 to replace the earlier one.

•Lindsay House is at 128 Faulkner Street and it dates from the mid 1920s. It is a mock Tudor house with exposed beams and woodwork on the exterior and stucco areas. This “English” style of house was popular in New England at this time. It is a typical “gentleman’s “house and it was built for a local doctor. In 1972 the former Armidale College of Advanced Education purchased the house for staff accommodation and they renamed it Lindsay House. Today it is a luxury bed & breakfast establishment.

•Southall is a fine 1888 residence at 88 Barney Street oppopsite Central Park. At one stage it was called Girrawheen Boarding House as it provided accommodation for the girls enrolled at New England Ladies College. This house was purchased in 1928 by the Armidale Teachers’ College for accommodation for female teaching students. It was linked to Smith House, next door, in 1960 and then became a university residential college but it is now a backpackers complex. Apart from wrought iron lace work it features two toned brick work on the quoins and the bricks are done in Flemish bond pattern.

•Catholic Cathedral and Convent. See next page.

•Anglican Cathedral and Deanery. See next page.

•St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church. The foundation stone dates the building to 1881. Its Gothic style, tall steeple, wrought iron decorations and lancet windows add considerably to the appearance of Central Park. The white painted masonry quoins, window surrounds etc contrast sharply with the dark coloured bricks.

•Old Wesley Methodist Hall and Church. The Old Wesley Church was erected in 1864 and is one of the oldest still standing churches of Armidale. It was replaced by a new Methodist Church in 1893 and it then became the church hall. The Old Wesley Church also has Red Cedar joinery inside.

•The Folk Museum. This is housed in the old School of Arts and Mechanics Institute building of 1863. Such places were crucial education centres in the 19th century. It was used as the town library for many years and is now a museum.

•Armidale Town Hall. This impressive structure was completed in 1883 just before Armidale became a city in 1885. It has many decorative features including pilasters (flat columns), scroll work, a central triangular pediment above the main entrance, a niche like entrance with a curved upper balcony and balustrade. In 1990 the City decorated the interior in Art Deco style!

•The Armidale Post Office. The first PO was established in 1843. This building was constructed in 1880. The beautiful arched veranda and upper balcony were added in 1897. It is still the city Post Office.

•Lands Board building now the Lands Office. This elegant building with its filigree lace work on the upper balcony and the lower veranda originally had a slate roof and slate chimney pots. The symmetry of this building is superb. It was designed by the same architect who did the government Post Office next door and the style would date it to the same period -1880.

•Opposite are the architectural plans for the amazing Imperial Hotel. It was built in 1890 William Miller who was of the original discoverer of gold at Hillgrove. He made his fortune on the gold fields and then erected the finest hotel in Armidale. It is noted for its proportions, classical style, ornate parapets along the roof line and filigree caste iron. The urns atop the “floating” triangular pediments are wonderful. It demonstrates how important the travelling public were to early hoteliers like William Miller. Miller began life as a poor farmer at Saumarez Ponds. It is run down today.

•On the opposite corner is the current Westpac Bank. It was formerly the Bank of NSW and it was put up in 1938 in classical style. The 1817 on the parapet refers to the founding of the Bank of NSW by Mary Reibey, a former convict, depicted on our $20 note. Along from this is the marvellous AMP building with its statute on top.

•Armidale Court House in the Mall. This imposing building with a classical Greek façade with columns, and wrought iron gates was built in 1859. It was extensively altered in 1870 when the two side wings were attached. The clock tower was added in 1878. Inside the joinery is all Australian Red Cedar. Note the cobblestoned courtyard. At the rear of the Court House is the original Sheriff’s Cottage (1870) which was originally a “lock up “for prisoners!

•Hanna’s Arcade in Barney Street. See the leadlight mural, wooden arcade, and fine department store.

 

Catholic Cathedral and building.

The first Catholic priest to arrive in Armidale came in 1853. He took services in a small wooden Catholic Church that had opened in 1848. The priest then built a parsonage which became part of De La Salle College, now O’Connor High School. It has since been demolished. In 1862 the Catholic Diocese of Armidale was established but it was 1869 before the first bishop, Bishop O’Mahony, settled in Armidale. He was consecrated as bishop in 1871 at the same time as the commissioning of the cathedral. It was dedicated in 1872 but replaced by the current cathedral in 1912. When Bishop O’Mahony left he was replaced by Bishop Torreggiani who was replaced by Bishop O’Connor in 1904.

 

The new cathedral of St. Mary and St. Joseph was built in Pyrmont stone from Sydney and Armidale polychrome (or multi- coloured) bricks. Such brick work was popular in the 1880s but out of fashion by 1912. Brown, cream and red bricks were used for the cathedral to highlight its architectural features. It is a much larger structure than the Anglican cathedral and dominates the townscape around Central Park. The brickwork was used for quoins, cross banding and other feature work. It was designed in Gothic style by Sherrin and Hennessy in Sydney and constructed by a local builder Frederick Nott. It has a turreted tower with a needle spire on top with louvre windows. It has the original slate roof and fine marble work inside and outside in the form of fine marble statues. The interior is also noted for its fine hammer beam ceiling. The pipe organ was made in 1900 in England and rebuilt here in 1912. Like the Anglicans, the Catholics divided the New England diocese in 1887 when the Diocese of Grafton was established.

 

Near the cathedral but further along Barney Street is the Merici House which was built as a Catholic School and convent very early in 1882. Angela Merici was the founder of the Ursuline Order of Nuns who began teaching at that school in 1883. The Ursulines arrived from London in 1882 to do missionary work in Armidale. Their order was established in Italy in 1534. The Ursulines in Armidale established their mother house here and sent nuns out to many other communities across NSW and Qld from Armidale. But in Armidale they set up St. Ursulines College from their small origins in Merici House near the Catholic Cathedral. It was erected as a fine two storey house for a local businessman in 1877. He sold it to the Ursuline Order in 1882. St. Ursuline College operated from 1882 until it merged with the Catholic boys’ school, La Salle College (established 1906 by Bishop O’Connor) in 1975. The amalgamated school was renamed O’Connor High School after Bishop O’Connor. O’Connor High School operates on a different site in the city of Armidale to the north east of the town.

 

Anglican Cathedral and associated buildings.

Bishop Broughton conducted the first Anglican service in Armidale in 1845 with the first church opening in 1850, followed by a parsonage for Rev. Tingcombe who was the first minister arriving in 1846. Armidale was part of the Diocese of Newcastle. Then in 1869 the diocese of Grafton and Armidale was established. The founding Bishop was James Turner from Norfolk, England. His diocese was the size of England! He started with 10 clergy and 21 churches. He appointed John Horbury Hunt to design and oversee the building of a suitable cathedral in Armidale. The foundation stone was laid in 1873 and the cathedral opened in 1875 as St. Peter’s. Hunt designed a relatively small cathedral of brick, his favourite building medium, rather than stone. Turner continued as Bishop until 1893. Before he left the diocese of Armidale he had the Christ Church Cathedral erected in Grafton in 1884 and a new Grafton diocese created. Bishop Turner also used John Horbury Hunt for cathedral that we saw in Grafton. By the time Turner left he had 2 diocese and 58 churches.

 

The Anglican Cathedral was made of Armidale blue bricks with clay taken from Saumarez station. The vestry was added in 1910 according to Hunt’s design (he died in 1903) and the tower, again according to Hunt’s design in 1936. The cathedral features Gothic arches, a square tower, small pyramids on top of buttresses, moulded bricks for special areas and interesting English bonds and patterns. Uralla granite was used for keystones and the foundations. The Deanery was also designed by Hunt and built of the same Armidale blue bricks in 1891. Hunt was known to make great demands on the brickies as he was a perfectionist and supervised all the intricate brickwork very closely. The result was an outstandingly fine cathedral. Note the band of green tiles above the main door included by Hunt. Note also the fine stained glass windows, and one is a memorial to Bishop Turner’s wife who died in 1879. The cathedral has a fine timber ceiling. Hunt even selected the pulpit and lectern to suit his design. The pulpit has an effigy of St. Peter carved in the sandstone. Some of Hunt’s original plans can be viewed in the Tower Room.

 

Developed using darktable 3.2.1

Buncombe County, NC.

 

Minolta Autocord camera, Baader U2 filter, Shanghai GP3 film developed in D-23. Scanned in-house; worked up and tinted in Photoshop.

Self developed double exposure on Lomography 400 film loaded into an Olympus om10.

Hasselblad xpan 2, Fomapan action 400, self developed with kadak hc110 (too old)

 

My first attempt of home-developing E-6 in a 3-bath Tetenal kit using Jobo CPP-2 with FAILED temperature regulation.

 

Yes, the color balance isn't spot on, partially due to chemical process and temperature but there are some scanner software tweaks to blame as well. From what I saw through the film against the window and on the scanner, it's pretty close. Some ppl scared me not to expect much from a 3-bath kit but I can live with the result.

 

Processing went like this:

- 1st developer 7'00" at 39C

- aprox 2'30" washing, total of 3 rinses (same temperature)

- 2nd color developer 7'00" at already dropped 38.5C

- aprox same washing procedure as before

- bleach 7'00" at now close to 38C

- aprox 6'00" washing with 4 or 5 rinses of water at the same 38C +/- 1C

- dipped in a tank with stabilizer for a minute, afterwards dipped in a distilled water and hanged to dry

 

Jobo failed to regulate temperature so I used tapped hot water to reach a bit over 40C then let it naturally cool down. At point when chemicals were at 39C I started with the first bath, following as stated.

Camera: Yashica Mat 124 G,

Lens:Yashinon 80/3.5,

ight meter: Sekonic L-308B reading the incident light,

Film: Ilford FP4+,

Film Developing: PYROCAT HDC 1+1+100

Time: 20C° - 20 min,

scanned with Epson Photo V 500

One Raffles place in another light.

Approved by @Geometrieva

Developed using darktable 2.6.2

Develop: Paterson FX-37 (1+5)_29C -4min, (forsed)

Rollfilm: Kodak TMax 400, expired 08.1999r.

forwardcameras.com Our vintage camera shop is always open. Maybe it’s time to buy a beautiful film camera? Join us on a journey through time. Forward Cameras vintage camera shop is proud to sell on Etsy. Check out our website: forwardcameras.com Follow us also on Instagram @forwardcameras Twitter @ForwardCameras Facebook Page: Forward Cameras and subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more camera tutorials: Forward Cameras 📷

Developing a fault within Buchanan Bus Station and having to wait for assistance, Scania Omnidekka 36022 is captured leaving Glasgow over an hour late.

Canon AE1-Program

Canon FD 50mm, f1.4

Kodak Vision3 50D

Tetenal Colortec C41 kit

Reflecta RPS 10M

Colorperfect, Photoshop, Lightroom.

Snatched from the streets of San Diego in late March 2016 by a group of masked assailants, Diz has been spending some time (voluntarily) working on a guest post covering motion picture film development at home.

 

If you've ever thought about shooting and developing your own motion picture stock ...

 

emulsive.org/articles/developing-motion-picture-film-dark...

Articles, Experiments

#C41, #Darkroom, #Developing, #Diz, #ECN2, #Kodak, #Kodak_250D_5207, #Kodak_500T_5219, #Kodak_50D_5203

Developed for use against the Othaen federation, the HCF-180 was used in a primarily close support role with UNE infantry. The walkers provided a much needed morale boost for foot soldiers facing larger, stronger and decidedly alien foes.

 

Sue me for actually putting an engine compartment on a mech.

Little lockdown in the City

Mamiya RB67

Sekor 50mm

Kodak Ektar 💯

Tetenal C41 self-develop

Developing a new shot series based on paint..............

OLYMPUS OM-D E-M5 Mark II + OLYMPUS M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO

 

Developed by Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC 2015.7

1 2 ••• 11 12 14 16 17 ••• 79 80