View allAll Photos Tagged replace

Replacing an earlier scanned photo with a better version, plus Topaz DeNoise AI 10-Nov-23.

 

G-OOOD departing Manchester on winter wet lease to Aero Continente Peru.

 

Additional 'nose art' with stylised Peruvian Flag and '100% Peruviana' graphics.

 

Long history... This aircraft was delivered to ILFC International Lease Finance Corporation and leased to Air 2000 as G-OOOD in May-88. It was sub-leased to Canadian associate company Air 2000 Airlines Canada as C-FXOD in Nov-88.

 

Air 2000 Airlines Canada was renamed Canada 3000 Airlines in early May-99 and returned to Air 2000 as G-OOOD later that month. The winter sub-lease as C-FXOD to Canada 3000 was repeated between Dec-89 / May-90, Nov-90 / May-91 and Oct-91 / May-92.

 

In Dec-98 the aircraft was sub-leased to Royal Airlines as C-GRYU. It returned to Air 2000 in Apr-99 and was operated by Royal Airlines for the 1999 summer season, still with it's Canadian registration. In Oct-99 it became G-OOOD again, with Air 2000.

 

It was wet-leased to Aero Continente Peru in Nov-99 and returned to Air 2000 in Apr-00. In Dec-03 the aircraft was sub-leased to Skyservice Airlines Canada. Air 2000 was renamed First Choice Airline and the aircraft was returned to them in Apr-04.

 

It was parked at Bournemouth, returned to the lessor as N235SC in May-04 and ferried to Abbottsford, BC, Canada for long term storage. The aircraft was converted to freighter configuration with a main deck cargo door in Jan-07 and leased to VARIG Brasil - Cargo as PR-LGF the following month.

 

In Feb-10 it was returned to the lessor as N235WD and initially stored at Sao Jose dos Campos, Brasil. It moved on for storage at San Jose, Costa Rica. Dothan, AL, USA, then a brief stop in San Antonio, TX, USA for two weeks maintenance before going to Goodyear, AZ, USA in May-12.

 

It remained at Goodyear until Nov-16 when it was leased to Colt Cargo, Brasil as PR-XCA. It was in service for just 10 weeks before being stored at Miami, FL, USA in early Feb-17. It was returned to the lessor as N235WD in late May-17.

 

The aircraft remained stored at Miami until it was sold to Sky One FZE (a UAE based global aviation group) in Jul-22 and moved to Orlando-Sanford, FL, USA in late Aug-22 for "modifications to the cargo system". It's now 37 years old and appears to be still at Orlando-Sanford. I'm guessing that it's permanently retired. Updated 15-Aug-25.

This one replaced my aging original 22" Cinema Display which served me well over the past years.

I have to feather back the paint edges, apply some primer , then color and blend in the clear coats. There will be some baking and sanding mixed in there also.

Replaced with a few modern houses quite some time ago and before that it was a Fina site in its last days - see below. www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2063511,1.5809145,3a,75y,90h,90...

Fonte: Wikipedia

The band was established by brothers Keith and Jordan Buckley, whose father, Michael Buckley, lectures Computer Science and Engineering at the University at Buffalo. They added to the initial lineup with guitarist Andy Williams, bassist John McCarthy, and drummer Michael "Ratboy" Novak. In their first short tour covering the Buffalo, New York and Toronto, Ontario, Canada vicinities, the band met Goodfellow Records producer Chris Logan, who released the band's debut EP Burial Plot Bidding War in 2000. The following year, Aaron Ratajczak replaced McCarthy as bassist before the band released its debut full-length album Last Night in Town that year under Ferret Records, leading to a tour for that album in collaboration with Killswitch Engage the following year.[1]

 

In 2001, Stephen Micciche, of Kid Gorgeous replaced Ratajczak as bassist for the band's second full-length Hot Damn! and the band's subsequent American tour supporting Jackass star Steve-O. This era brought about their first mini Warped Tour stint, overseas tours with NORA and Chimaira, numerous U.S tours with bands such as Bleeding Through, Norma Jean, Dillinger Escape Plan, and a spot on the 2004 Ozzfest tour. However, Micciche resigned from his position in 2005. Micciche was replaced by Kevin Falk. However, three months after recording sessions for the band's third album Gutter Phenomenon and a European tour, he was replaced by Chris Byrnes of NORA, who left the band after touring with them at the Warped Tour 2006. Their sixth bassist, Keller Harbin (formerly of The Chariot), replaced Byrnes and played with the band for its tour with Atreyu on the World Championship Tour along with From First to Last and Chiodos. The band was featured on the 2007 Sounds of the Underground tour. Josh Newton, was inducted in September 2007 as the band's seventh bassist for a tour with Underoath.

 

In 2006, their song "The New Black" was featured as a bonus track in Guitar Hero 2 and also in the PlayStation 3 game MotorStorm. The band performed the song "We'rewolf" live on the ABC late night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Halloween of 2007. From January–February 2008, Every Time I Die went on a tour with Killswitch Engage, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Parkway Drive. They also headlined the Take Action Tour, playing alongside From First to Last, August Burns Red, The Bled, and The Human Abstract. The band played the entire Warped Tour 2008.

 

During the 2009 UK tour with Gallows, a song titled "Buffalo 666" from their then-upcoming album New Junk Aesthetic was played for the first time. The album also included guest vocals by Pete Wentz, Matt Caughthran and Greg Puciato. At the end of June it was announced that drummer Mike "Ratboy" Novak had left the band due to "personal conflicts".

 

On August 23, Ryan "Legs" Leger was added as the new drummer.[9] The band was part of the European Taste of Chaos Tour at the end of 2009, supporting headliners Killswitch Engage and In Flames.

 

Every Time I Die headlined the 2010 Australian Boys of Summer Tour. In support of Every Time I Die were Australian bands 50 Lions, House vs. Hurricane and Mary Jane Kelly. The band toured across Australia playing shows in Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

 

Josh Newton announced on October 12, 2011 that he was no longer in the band. For the remainder of the tour, Stephen Micciche filled his role as bassist. On December 12, they released a video on Warped Tour's YouTube channel announcing they were playing all dates on the 2012 Warped Tour.

 

In January 2012, Every Time I Die released their video for "Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space", from their album Ex Lives, which was released on March 6, 2012. On February 23, Every Time I Die posted a film clip to another new song, "Revival Mode". In January, the band made a tour in South America with Four Year Strong and New Found Glory. Rio de Janeiro's show, the last one in Brazil was recorded and will be the next DVD of the band.

 

On October 15, 2013, the band was announced to be a support act for A Day to Remember on their European Tour 2014.

 

In the spring of 2014, the band announced that they were starting production on their seventh studio album From Parts Unknown with producer Kurt Ballou which was released July 8, 2014 along with their 6th run on the Vans Warped Tour 20th edition. The album peaked at #22 on the Billboard 200, their second top 25 in the band's existence. Following their time on Warped Tour Every Time I Die started a Canadian tour in mid September with Expire and Counterparts. Following their Canadian tour they co-headlined a winter tour with The Ghost Inside along with support from Architects, Backtrack and Hundredth as their openers.

 

In February 2015 the band announced Ryan Leger's departure to be replaced by Daniel Davison, formerly of Norma Jean and Underoath. On March 29, the band revealed that they would be releasing an EP exclusively for Record Store Day titled Salem.

Replaces Thomas TL960 from Veolia fleet

Biggenden.

In the 1880s parts of the early pastoral runs were resumed for closer farming settlement. Then when gold was discovered in the ranges to the north at Mount Shamrock and Paradise in 1889-90 the town of Biggenden emerged. The real impetus to that development was the arrival of the railway from Maryborough in 1891. In 1891 the Live and Live Hotel opened followed by the Biggenden School in 1892. The Courthouse was constricted in 1902. The township flourished as the surrounding districts were suitable for both dairying and grain growing. By the 1920s it had several butter factories. The Maryborough Cooperative ran their factory here from 1911 to 1969. Its Capitol Theatre also opened in the 1920s. The wooden Wesleyan Methodist Church opened in 1910 at a cost of £215. The first church in Biggenden appears to have been the wooden Catholic Church built in 1904. This was replaced with a new St Peters Catholic Church with terracotta tiles opened around 1939 at a cost of £1,880. A Catholic School run by the Sisters from Gayndah had opened in Biggenden in 1919. An Anglican was later built in the town around 1912 and the Presbyterians opened their Biggenden Church in 1938. The town’s population has declined since the closure of the butter factories in the 1960s. The top floor of the Paradise Courthouse on the goldfields was removed to become part of the Biggenden Police Station in the early 20th century. It has been the town museum since 1980. The town now has around 700 inhabitants. Along the Isis Highway are dramatic vistas of Mt Walsh (703 metres) and its surrounding National Park with granite outcrops. The Park was established in 1947.

 

replacing a shitty sensor D600 after 3 years suffering

The County of Santa Clara Animal Care and Control Department needed to replace their makeshift former residence with several additions and portables into an adequate home for the area’s needy animals.

 

Dreyfuss + Blackford Architecture — working with animal care designer, The Bacon Group — created the County’s new Animal Services Center campus with state-of-the-art animal care functions in a park-like setting, providing innovative and sustainable building systems and amenities in the 24/7 facility.

 

The new Animal Services Center has capacity for 54 dogs and 90 cats, with spaces for other types of animals including rabbits, horses, and goats. To house and showcase larger animals, a barn is sited along the main building frontage, increasing visibility.

 

Taking a distinct departure from traditional shelter design, dog kennels are organized around an outdoor landscaped courtyard named “The Park”. Together with surrounding “Get Acquainted” pods, the experience offers a bright and open area to meet and greet potential pets in a natural park-like environment.

 

In addition to animal adoption, a primary objective of the Animal Services Center is to educate the public about the benefits of spaying and neutering. The County is taking a proactive approach to overpopulation by educating the public on reducing the number of animals ending up at the Animal Services Center through the use of the public surgery suite, located inside the facility’s clinic.

Another key solution the Animal Services Center provides is its large Educational Meeting facility. Not only will animal-specific community events be held there, but other County agencies will also be able to utilize the assembly space for conferences and gatherings up to 150 occupants—a resource they previously lacked.

 

The County of Santa Clara Animal Services Center is designed to achieve LEED Silver certification.

 

After !!!COW!!! attack, our drinking station is finally working again and even better.

Contractors replace the old set of FAA aviation lights atop Healy Clock Tower at Georgetown University on August 17, 2011. The light replacement is part of a multi-day repair project on the clock tower. The project also includes: replacing the tower maintenance cleats, repainting the clock faces and interior work to aid in future maintenance.

To replace the aging PBM Mariner, Martin began work on the P5M Marlin in 1946. The first XP5M-1 was essentially an upgraded Mariner, with a new fuselage. To keep the engines clear of the spray, the Mariner's gull wing was kept, though the floats were made more hydrodynamic; to improve the Marlin's performance on the water, "hydroflaps" were introduced. In the air, the hydroflaps doubled as speedbrakes, while in the water, they were used to improve the Marlin's turning circle in narrow harbors. The P5M-1 went into service in 1952. Because it was intended more as an antisubmarine warfare/rescue aircraft, the three turrets of the XP5M-1 were deleted on production aircraft.

 

While the P5M-1 was adequate and well-liked by its crews, Martin wanted to improve the design. The P5M-2 was nearly a new aircraft, with a redesigned forward fuselage to cut down on water spray even more, and a more aerodynamic T-tail, which also allowed for the inclusion of a Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) boom at the base of the tail. An improved radar was mounted on the nose, making the Marlin a superb antisubmarine platform. In 1962, the P5M-2 was redesignated the SP-5B.

 

Though Marlins were used during the Cold War to patrol the coasts of the US, their first and only combat deployment was to Vietnam in 1965 to assist in Operation Market Time. Market Time was the mostly successful attempt to stem resupply of the Viet Cong by sea from North Vietnam. The Marlin's ability to detect small targets and its long loiter time, and its ability to operate from any body of water, made it valuable for the role. Several detachments were rotated out of Cam Ranh Bay, South Vietnam, from NAS Sangley Point in the Philippines.

 

The Navy, however, felt that the day of the seaplane was drawing to a close, and the Marlin's role could be better done by longer-ranged, land-based P-3 Orions. The last US Navy seaplane squadron, VP-40, deactivated in 1967; the Marlin would prove to be the last aircraft produced in numbers by the Martin company before its merger with Convair. A few were operated briefly by the US Coast Guard, and ten were leased for a short time by the French Aeronavale. Of 258 P5Ms built, today only a single example survives at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Florida.

 

This side view of a VP-48 SP-5B is another from the Lockwood collection. Not only does it show a Marlin from the side, it also shows how big of an aircraft it was (note the men in the shadow of the wing). This shows the Marlin's early 1960s scheme of white over dark blue; some Marlins carried this until the end of their careers. Mr. Lockwood took this picture at NAS Sangley Point, Philippines, in 1966. He passed away in 2015, and these pictures are presented in his honor.

During 1916 the British born Australian architect Walter Richmond Butler (1864 – 1949) designed a new Anglican Mission to Seamen to be built on an oddly shaped triangular block of land at 717 Flinders Street on the outskirts of the Melbourne central city grid, to replace smaller premises located in adjoining Siddeley Street, which had been resumed by the Harbour Trust during wharf extensions.

 

The Missions to Seamen buildings, built on reinforced concrete footings, are in rendered brick with tiled roofs. Walter Butler designed the complex using an eclectic mixture of styles, one of which was the Spanish Mission Revival which had become a prevalent style on the west coast of America, especially in California and New Mexico during the 1890s. The style revived the architectural legacy of Spanish colonialism of the Eighteenth Century and the associated Franciscan missions. The revival of the style is explicit in the Mission’s small, yet charming chapel with its rough-hewn timber trusses, in the bell tower with its pinnacles and turret surmounted by a rustic cross and in the monastic-like courtyard, which today still provides a peaceful retreat from the noisy world just beyond the Missions to Seamen’s doorstep. The chapel also features many gifts donated by members of the Harbour Trust and Ladies’ Harbour Lights Guild, including an appropriately themed pulpit in the shape of a ship's prow and two sanctuary chairs decorated with carved Australian floral motifs. Some of the stained glass windows in the chapel depict stories and scenes associated with the sea intermixed with those Biblical scenes more commonly found in such places of worship.

 

The adjoining Mission to Seamen’s administration, residential and recreational building shows the influence of English domestic Arts and Crafts architecture, with its projecting gable, pepper pot chimneys and three adjoining oriel windows. The lobby, with its appropriately nautically inspired stained glass windows, features a large mariner's compass inlaid in the terrazzo floor. Built-in timber cupboards, wardrobes, paneling and studded doors throughout the buildings evoke a ship's cabin.

 

Walter Butler, architect to the Anglican Diocese in Melbourne, had come to Australia with an intimate knowledge and experience of the Arts and Crafts movement and continued to use the style in his residential designs of the 1920s. The main hall has a reinforced concrete vaulted ceiling. Lady Stanley, wife of the Mission's patron, Governor Sir Arthur Lyulph Stanley, laid the foundation stone of the complex in November 1916. The buildings were financed partly by a compensation payment from the Harbour Trust of £8,500.00 and £3,000.00 from local merchants and shipping firms. The Ladies' Harbour Lights Guild raised over £800.00 for the chapel. Most of the complex was completed by late 1917 whilst the Pantheon-like gymnasium with oculus was finished soon afterwards. The substantially intact interiors, including extensive use of wall paneling in Tasmanian hardwood, form an integral part of the overall design.

 

The Missions to Seamen buildings are architecturally significant as a milestone in the early introduction of the Spanish Mission style to Melbourne. The style was to later find widespread popularity in the suburbs of Melbourne. The choice of Spanish Mission directly refers to the Christian purpose of the complex. The Missions to Seamen buildings are unusual for combining two distinct architectural styles, for they also reflect the imitation of English domestic architecture, the Arts and Crafts movement. Walter Butler was one of the most prominent and progressive architects of the period and the complex is one of his most unusual and distinctive works.

 

The Missions to Seamen buildings have historical and social significance as tangible evidence of prevailing concerns for the religious, moral, and social welfare of seafarers throughout most of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. The complex has a long association with the Missions to Seamen, an organisation formed to look after the welfare of seafarers, both officers and sailors, men "of all nationalities". It had its origins in Bristol, England when a Seamen's Mission was formed in 1837. The first Australian branch was started in 1856 by the Reverend Kerr Johnston, a Church of England clergyman, and operated from a hulk moored in Hobsons Bay; later the Mission occupied buildings in Williamstown and Port Melbourne. In 1905 the Reverend Alfred Gurney Goldsmith arrived at the behest of the London Seamen's Mission to establish a city mission for sailors working on the river wharves and docks. The building reflects the diverse role played by the Mission with its chapel, hall and stage, billiards room, reading room, dining room, officers' and men’s quarters, chaplain's residence, and gymnasium. It is still in use to this day under the jurisdiction of a small, but passionate group of workers, providing a welcome place of refuge to seamen visiting the Port of Melbourne.

 

Walter Butler was considered an architect of great talent, and many of his clients were wealthy pastoralists and businessmen. His country-house designs are numerous and include “Blackwood” (1891) near Penshurst, for R. B. Ritchie, “Wangarella” (1894) near Deniliquin, New South Wales, for Thomas Millear, and “Newminster Park” (1901) near Camperdown, for A. S. Chirnside. Equally distinguished large houses were designed for the newly established Melbourne suburbs: “Warrawee” (1906) in Toorak, for A. Rutter Clark; “Thanes” (1907) in Kooyong, for F. Wallach; “Kamillaroi” (1907) for Baron Clive Baillieu, and extensions to “Edzell” (1917) for George Russell, both in St Georges Road, Toorak. These are all fine examples of picturesque gabled houses in the domestic Queen Anne Revival genre. Walter Butler was also involved with domestic designs using a modified classical vocabulary, as in his remodelling of “Billilla” (1905) in Brighton, for W. Weatherley, which incorporates panels of flat-leafed foliage. Walter Butler also regarded himself as a garden architect.

 

As architect to the diocese of Melbourne from 1895, he designed the extensions to “Bishopscourt” (1902) in East Melbourne. His other church work includes St Albans (1899) in Armadale, the Wangaratta Cathedral (1907), and the colourful porch and tower to Christ Church (c.1910) in Benalla. For the Union Bank of Australia he designed many branch banks and was also associated with several tall city buildings in the heart of Melbourne’s central business district such as Collins House (1910) and the exceptionally fine Queensland Insurance Building (1911). For Dame Nellie Melba Butler designed the Italianate lodge and gatehouse at “Coombe Cottage” (1925) at Coldstream.

 

We're going to try and save the rest of the paint on the frame, which was just repainted this spring...damn.

Replaces the Xsara WRC in 2007. With the experience gained the C4 is immediately able to battle it out at a top level, with a first victory as from its appearance at the Rally Monte Carlo 2007.

From 2007 through to 2010 the C4 WRC claims :

- 36 victories

- 3 FIA Constructor's titles in 2008, 2009 & 2010

- 4 FIA Driver titles for S. Loeb - D. Elena from 2007 through to 2010

 

Autoworld

www.autoworld.be

Brussels - Belgium

August 2019

No visit to York would be complete without a walk around the City Walls. At 3.4 kilometres long, the beautifully preserved walls are the longest medieval town walls in England. About 2.5 million people walk along all or part of the City walls each year, enjoying some amazing views. The completion of the entire circuit will take approximately 2 hours. There are five main bars or gateways, one Victorian gateway, one postern (a small gateway) and 45 towers.

 

York City Walls

The city or ‘bar’ walls of York are the most complete example of medieval city walls still standing in England today. Beneath the medieval stonework lie the remains of earlier walls dating as far back as the Roman period.

 

The Roman walls survived into the 9th century when, in AD 866, York was invaded by the Danish Vikings. The Vikings buried the existing Roman wall under an earth bank and topped with a palisade – a tall fence of pointed wooden stakes.

 

The wooden palisade was replaced in the 13th and 14th centuries with the stone wall we see today.

 

The medieval city walls originally included 4 main gates or ‘bars’ (Bootham Bar, Monk Bar, Walmgate Bar and Micklegate Bar), 6 postern or secondary gates and 44 intermediate towers. The defensive perimeter stretched over 2 miles encompassing the medieval city and castle.

 

By the late 18th century, however, the walls were no longer required as defences for the city and had fallen into disrepair. In 1800, the Corporation of York applied for an Act of Parliament to demolish them. In addition to the poor condition of the walls at the time, the narrow gateways of the bars were inconvenient and the walls themselves hindered the city’s expansion.

 

Many other cities, including London, were removing their outdated, medieval city walls at this time. In York, however, the city officials met with fierce and influential opposition and by the mid-nineteenth century the Corporation had been forced to back down.

 

Unfortunately, the call for preservation came too late for some parts of the walls – the barbicans at all but one of the gateways (Walmgate Bar) had been torn down along with 3 postern gates, 5 towers and 300 yards of the wall itself.

 

Since the mid-nineteenth century the walls have been restored and maintained for public access, including the planting of spring flowers on the old Viking embankment. Today the walls are a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade 1 listed building.

 

Bootham Bar

There has been a gateway here for nearly 2000 years - Bootham Bar is on the site of one of the four main entrances to the Roman fortress.

The existing structure is not Roman but it has been around for quite a while. The archway itself dates from the 11th century and the rest of the structure is largely from the 14th century. In 1501 a door knocker was installed as Scots were required to knock first and seek permission from the Lord Mayor to enter the city.

The bar was damaged during the siege of York in 1644. Like Micklegate Bar, it was sometimes used to display the heads of traitors, the heads of three rebels opposing Charles II’s restoration were placed here in 1663.

Bootham Bar was the last of the gates to lose its barbican, demolished in 1835.

 

Fishergate Bar

1315AD - 1487AD

Fishergate Bar is one of six gateways in the city walls. It faces South towards Selby. Nearby used to be the large flooded area known as the King’s Fishpond.

‘Barram Fishergate’ is the first documented reference to the bar, in 1315. A central stone above the archway reveals the date of the current bar. It contains the York coat of arms and an inscription which reads:

‘A.doi m.cccc.lxxx.vii Sr Willm Tod knight mayre this wal was mayd in his days lx yadys’

This tells us that sixty yards of the wall, including the bar, was built in 1487 under Sir William Tod, mayor of York.

But just two years later, in 1489, Fishergate Bar suffered considerable damage in the Yorkshire peasants’ revolt against Henry VII. The rebels burned the gates of the bar after murdering the Earl of Northumberland. The gateway was bricked up soon after and wasn’t re-opened until 1834, to give better access for the cattle market.

 

Micklegate Bar

Micklegate Bar was the most important of York’s four main medieval gateways and the focus for grand events. The name comes from 'Micklelith', meaning great street.

It was the main entrance to the city for anyone arriving from the South. At least half a dozen reigning monarchs have passed through this gate and by tradition they stop here to ask the Lord Mayor's permission to enter the city.

The lower section of the bar dates from the 12th century, the top two storeys from the 14th. The building was inhabited from 1196. Like the other main gates, Micklegate Bar originally had a barbican built on the front, in this case demolished in 1826.

For centuries the severed heads of rebels and traitors were displayed above the gate, the many victims include Sir Henry Purcey (Hotspur) in 1403 and Richard, Duke of York in 1460. The last of the severed heads was removed in 1754.

 

Monk Bar

Monk Bar is the largest and most ornate of the bars, it dates from the early 14th century. It was a self-contained fortress, with each floor capable of being defended. On the front of the bar is an arch supporting a gallery, including 'murder-holes' through which missiles and boiling water could be rained down upon attackers.

Monk Bar has the city’s only working portcullis, in use until 1970. Like the other main gateways, Monk Bar originally had a barbican on the front. This was demolished in 1825.

The rooms above the gateway have had various uses over the years, including as a home and as a jail for rebellious Catholics in the 16th century.

 

The Red Tower

1490AD - 1491AD

The Red Tower, built in 1490, forms the only brick section of York’s famous city walls. Because it was built of brick its construction did not sit well with the local stone masons. So much so that it was the cause of dispute, and even murder.

The masons who worked on the majority of York’s walls and buildings were unhappy about the employment of tilers to build the Red Tower; their unhappiness led to them attempting to sabotage the building of the tower. The tilers had to ask for protection from the city council to stop the masons from threatening them and breaking their tools.

This protection made little difference, however. In 1491, the tiler John Patrik was murdered. Two leading masons, William Hindley and Christopher Homer, were charged with the murder but quickly acquitted.

The first recorded use of the name “The Red Tower” was in 1511, presumably in reference to its red brick colour rather than its bloody past.

Despite forming an important and unique part of the city walls, the Red Tower fell quickly into disrepair. It had to be repaired multiple times, notably in 1541 and 1545, and was in ruins by 1736. It was roughly restored in 1800 and became known as ‘Brimstone House’ – probably a reference to its former use as a manufactory for gunpowder. It has two storeys, and a garderobe. The way that the tower appears now is thanks to G F Jones’ restorations in 1857-8.

 

Walmgate Bar

Walmgate Bar is the most complete of the four main medieval gateways to the city, it is the only bar to retain its barbican, portcullis and inner doors.

Its oldest part is a 12th century stone archway, the walled barbican at the front dates from the 14th century, the wooden gates from the 15th century and the timber-framed building on the inside from the 16th century.

It was burned by rebels in 1489 and battered by cannon during the siege of 1644.

 

Baile Hill

William the Conqueror ordered two castles to be built in York, one on either side of the River Ouse.

They formed a defensive system in response to the recent violent unrest.

'York Castle' was later reinforced and eventually rebuilt in stone and so now appears much more substantial. But originally both castles were of a similar size and layout.

Baile Hill is the name given to all that remains of York's other castle. It was the man-made mound, or motte, of the castle.

Excavations in 1979 revealed remains of timber buildings and a strong fence at the summit of the mound, together with a staircase up one side. The surrounding bailey was defended by a bank of earth built on top of the original Roman city wall.

 

Barker Tower

This river-side tower was built in the 14th century. It was positioned at the boundary of the medieval city-centre and, in conjunction with Lendal Tower on the opposite bank, was used to control river traffic entering the city. A great iron chain was stretched across the river between the two towers and boatmen had to pay a toll to cross it. The chain also served as a defence for the city. As early as 1380 Thomas Smyth was named as the tower’s ‘keeper of the chain’.

For boats coming downstream it would be the second toll in quick succession; St Mary's Abbey had its own tower and toll collection system a little further up the river.

 

Barker tower was leased for long periods to various ferrymen (and at least one woman) who ran passengers across the Ouse until Lendal Bridge was built in 1863. The ferry ran 'in summer and winter, fair weather and foul, Sundays and weekdays'.

 

The ferry was put out of business when Lendal Bridge opened in 1863. The tower has had plenty of other uses over the years, including as a mortuary for a brief time in the 19th century.

 

The parish church Saint-Martin was built mid 19th century, to replace a romanesque building, that was "beyond repair"- The portal, being the most valuable part of the old church was saved and got "reused". It carved late 12th century is for sure one of the finest examples of romanesque art in the Lorraine.

 

It is surprising, to find such an elaborate work of art in such a small village. The story behind is, that after merovingian king Clovis death (561), who had united the Frankish tribes, the kingdom got partioned between his sons, who then started a cruel family-war, to unite it again.

 

So in 577 at a place named "PONT de PIERRE" (= "Pompierre" = "stone bridge") three kings met to talk. Childebert (king of Austrasia), Chilperic I (king of Neustria) and Gontran (king of Burgundy). This meeting took place here in 577 - and to commemorate it a chapel was built, that during the 12th century (about 600 years after the meeting!) got replaced by a larger church. The portal seen here goes back to exactly that church.

 

A close up of the "Palm Sunday", just seen.

 

Mark 11:8

"Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields."

 

Jesus, wearing a crown rides the donkey, that is followed by the colt. Jesus holds a book and is obviously blessing the crowd. Down below on the ground the cloaks, people had spread. The carved branches could well be palm fronds, though these trees were surely uncommon in the area (and still are). Behind Jesus walks Peter, holding a branch (sword?) and two (?) keys.

 

A technician replaces the wheel cover of a C-177 Globemaster aircraft’s landing gear during Operation IMPACT in the Mediterranean on September 6, 2014.

 

Photo: MCpl Patrick Blanchard, Canadian Forces Combat Camera

 

Un technicien replace l’enjoliveur de roue du train d’atterrissage d’un avion C 177 Globemaster durant l’opération Impact en Méditerranée, le 6 septembre 2014.

 

Photo : Cplc Patrick Blanchard, Caméra de combat des Forces canadiennes

IS2014-3042-05

Replacing an earlier digital upload with a better version 21-Jun-19.

 

Taken at Bangkok-Don Muang just a few months before the BKK airport code was transferred to the new Bangkok airport at Suvarnabhumi. Don Muang was re-coded DMK.

 

With additional 'www.srilankan.aero' web address.

 

First flown with the Airbus test registration F-WWYP, this aircraft was delivered to SriLankan Airlines as 4R-ALD in Jan-00. It was sold to a lessor on delivery and leased back to SriLankan Airlines.

 

The aircraft was removed from service in Oct-19 and ferried to St. Athan, Wales, UK in Nov-19 for storage. It was re-registered OE-IKV in Dec-19 and permanently retired. Updated (Dec-19)

Replacing an earlier scanned photo with a better version, plus Topaz DeNoise AI 05-Dec-23

 

Named "City of Diekirch" Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

 

Built as a dedicated freighter, this aircraft was delivered to Cargolux Airlines International as LX-PCV in Sep-99. It was wet-leased to Silk Way West Airlines in Jul-08.

 

It returned to Cargolux in late Oct-12. The aircraft was sold to Silk Way West Airlines as 4K-SW008 at the end of Jul-12. Current, updated 05-Dec-23.

Replacing an earlier digital pghoto with a better version 24-Dec-19.

 

Suffering from some heat shimmer...

 

Originally built as Boeing 747-243B/M Combi with a side cargo door, this aircraft was capable of carrying both passengers and cargo in the main cabin. It was delivered to Alitalia as I-DEMC in Nov-80. It was sold to a lessor in Feb-94, converted to full freighter configuration and leased back to Alitalia Cargo. It was sold back to Alitalia in Sep-04. The aircraft was due to be leased to Belgian Cargo operator 'Cargo B' in Oct-07 but the lease was cancelled. It was sold to Adventar Ltd and leased to Air Bridge Cargo/Volga-Dnepr Airlines as VP-BIB in Oct-04. The aircraft was returned to the lessor in May-08 and stored at Chateauroux, France. It was leased to Southern Air (USA) as N795SA in Sep-08. It was sold to Air Mobility Inc in Jan-09 while the lease to Southern Air continued. It was permanently retired and stored at Mojave, CA, USA in Oct-10 after 30 years service. It was last noted still at Mojave in Oct-13.

Replaced a shot from 14-Jun-15 with a better photo 21-Jun-15.

 

First flown with the Boeing test registration N1795B, it was re-registered N1784B 5 days later fir some Boeing test flights. The aircraft had been ordered for lease to Istanbul Airlines but the lease was cancelled. it was delivered to GECAS and leased to RAM Royal Air Maroc as CN-RNO in Jun-99. RAM returned it to GECAS in Apr-03. It was sold to another lessor and leased to Travel Service Airlines (Czech Republic) as OK-TVD two weeks later. The aircraft was wet-leased to Malaysia Airlines between Oct-05/Mar-06 and wet-leased to NAS Air (Saudi Arabia) between Nov-07/Apr-08. It was also wet-leased to Kulula.com (South Africa) between Apr/Sep-08 and to Windrose Air (Ukraine) between Oct-08/Oct-10. The aircraft returned to the lessor in Mar-14 and was fitted with blended with winglets before being leased to Meridiana Airlines (Italy) as EI-FDS later the same month. Meridiana was renamed Air Italy in Mar-18 and Air Italy ceased operations in Feb-20. The aircraft was returned to the lessor and stored at Lasham, UK in Apr-20. As it's now 21 years old there is a possibility that it will be permanently retired. Current, updated (May-20).

 

I also have 2 photos of this aircraft with RAM as CN-RNO (left-Arabic/right side-English titles) at...

www.flickr.com/photos/kenfielding/6334570156 and

www.flickr.com/photos/kenfielding/6334570878

Another major European introduction for 1982 was the all-new 700 series from Volvo. Designed to replace the 200 series (itself derived from the 100 series of 1966), the 700 was produced alongside for 12 years. The two models are very close in exterior dimension.

 

The 700 underwent minor exterior changes to become the 900 series in 1991, notably a smoother front end treatment and revised rear treatment on the sedan. The sedan also received an independent rear suspension, with the estate car retaining a live rear axle. The 900 series was futher revised and named the S90/V90 in 1997 in line with Volvo's new naming convention. The model finally went out of production in 1998. The sedan models were subsequently replaced by the front-wheel-drive Volvo S80.

 

The engine line up included 4-cylinder, 4-cylinder turbocharged (one of the first major turbocharged passenger car ranges) and carryover vee-six cylinder engines shared with PSA and Renault. The 900 series later replaced the V6 with an inline six developed as part of a modular engine design of inline 4, 5 and 6-cylinder engines.

 

At launch the car was strongly criticised for its overtly rectilinear styling. The car matched the style that was popular in North America at the time, including a near vertical rear window. Unfortunately for Volvo this was the model year introduction of a key competitor, the Audi 100, which was notably aerodynamic in form.

 

This styling theme does have its advantages, with large windows and good visibility. It also provides ample space as an estate car. The model was popular with middle-class families with children, dogs etc, and are now considered 'Lifestyle' families.

 

Volvo's success in this market segment was later eroded by SUV and 'crossover' vehicles which emphasised the adventure part of the lifestyle image without being any more practical as a family car. Volvo went on to launch a vehicle in the crossover segment in place of the 900 wagon, the XC90. This model was very well recieved for its family practicality relative to other vehicles in the luxury crossover segment.

 

This miniland scale model has been created using Lego Digital Designer for Flickr LUGNuts 43rd build challenge - 'Plus or Mius Ten' - celebraing vehilces produced ten years before or after the birth year of the modeller. In this case 1982.

Replacing an earlier scanned photo with a better version 14-Jan-18.

 

Operating on behalf of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.

In 2012, 23 City playgrounds were completely replaced and four playgrounds received a new fall surface at a cost of approximately $2.6 million. Maintaining safe and wholesome places for children to play and families to socialize supports The City of Calgary’s goal of complete communities.

 

The City maintains 1,048 playgrounds and each one is inspected seven times a year. Life expectancy of a playground is approximately 15 years. Replacements are prioritized through a rating system that evaluates:

Condition of each piece of equipment

Usage of equipment

Opportunity of leveraging funds from partner organizations. Seventeen of the 23 playgrounds received funding from Parks Foundation Calgary’s Building Playgrounds and Communities Grant Program in 2012.

 

calgary.ca/communityinvestmentfund

Replacing an earlier scanned photo with a better version 04-Aug-18, plus Topaz DeNoise AI 20-Apr-24.

 

Fleet No: "334".

 

This aircraft was delivered to Piedmont Airlines as N313P in Dec-85. It was registered N334US in Nov-88 prior to the company being merged into US Air in Sep-89. US Air was renamed US Airways in Feb-97.

 

The aircraft was sold to a lessor in Dec-99 and leased back to US Airways. In Sep-06 the aircraft was re-registered N501UW. It was returned to the lessor in Jul-09 and immediately leased to the US Department of Justice who operated it as the non-existent 'Capital Airways' operating flights repatriating illegal immigrants.

 

The aircraft was permanently retired and stored at Opa Locka, FL, USA in Mar-10 after 25 years in service. It was last noted still stored at Opa Locka in Dec-14.

The Ferrari 308 series of three models replaced the Dino as the lowest rung of Ferrari ownership.

 

The first model, the Dino 308 GT4 as it was known, was a 4-seat model, styled by Bertone. The car was powered by a new 2.9 L V8 engine.

 

The second and third cars were styled by long-term partner Pininfarina, and resembled a somewhat smaller 365 GT4 BB. The two versions reflected the layouts seen in the Dino model - a Berlinetta known as the 308 GTB, and a targa-top model known as the 308 GTS.

 

The first couple of years of the Berlinetta saw the body produced in fibreglass, replaced by steel once the targa model began production. The early glass cars, due to their light weight and powerful engines are more collectible than later cars.

 

The 308 GTB & GTS underwent a number of modest cosmetic changes during their lifetime, along with changes in engine fuelling and valvegear. This resulted in various power outputs as the engine were influenced by emissions technology and countermeasures.

 

The Ferrari 308 GTS Targa model shown here featured in the TV series Magnum PI, set on Hawaii during the 1980s. The car was regularly updated to the newest model, so different seasons see slightly different cars.

Replace the blue parts.

The Flannery O'Connor-Andalusia Foundation received a Save America's Treasures grant, a Georgia Heritage Grant, and numerous donations from Friends of Andalusia to restore the Hill house at Andalusia. andalusiafarm.org/andalusia/restoration.htm

 

Wesumat Evolution with yellow and blue polyethylene brushes at a Jet petrol station in Deepdale, Rotherham.

 

2013: CAR WASH REPLACED.

Replacement Car Wash: Akua Euro Combi

Previous Car Wash: Ceccato Master

Replacing an earlier scanned photo with a better version 19-Jul-19, plus Topaz DeNoise AI 14-Apr-26.

 

First flown with the Boeing test registration N1786B, this aircraft was delivered to GECAS and leased to Futura International Airways as EC-HMJ in May-00. It was sub-leased to Futura Gael (Futura Ireland), re-registered EI-DIT and leased back to Futura International in Dec-04.

 

It was wet-leased to Ryan International Airlines (USA) the following day and operated on behalf of Transglobal Vacations (USA). It was returned to Futura International in early May-05 and operated a series of flights from Dublin in May before being returned to GECAS in Jun-05.

 

The aircraft was immediately leased to SpiceJet (India) as VT-SPE. It was returned to the lessor in Sep-13, re-registered EI-RUK at the end of Oct-13 and leased to Transaero Airlines (Russia) in early Nov-13.

 

The aircraft was returned to the lessor in mid Oct-15 and stored at Teruel, Spain just before Transaero ceased operations. It was sold to Magnetic Parts Trading Inc in Feb-18. It was permanently retired at Teruel and broken up there in 2019.

San Francisco City Hall, at 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, was built from 1913-1915 by architect Arthur Brown, Jr., replacing an building destroyed during the 1906 Earthquake. The vast Beaux-Arts French Renaissance building covers over 500,000 square feet over two full blocks and features the fifth largest dome in the world, rising 301-feet, 5.5-inches from the curb--13-feet, 7¾-inches higher than the U.S. Capitol.

 

The exterior is made of gray granite from the foothills of the Sierra. The interior is lavishly finished in California marble, Indiana sandstone and Manchurian oak. The dome, owing to Mansart's Les Invalides, has a diameter of 86-feet at its springing line and was originally covered with gold leaf gilded copper, but has since been restored with gold leaf on a special paint. Below the dome is the defining architectural element--the Rotunda and Great staircase, an open stairwell bookended by two-storied loggia on the north and south, extending from the second to the top of the third story and articulated with Giant Corinthian half columns. The stairs lead to the Board of Supervisors chamber, and opposite it is the office of the Mayor.

 

President Warren G. Harding lay in state at City Hall after dying of a heart attack at the Palace Hotel in 1923. Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe were married at City Hall in 1954. Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk were assassinated there in 1978, by former Supervisor Dan White. The Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 damaged the structure, and twisted the dome four inches (102 mm) on its base. Afterwards work was undertaken to render City Hall earthquake resistant through a base isolation system.

 

In 2007, San Francisco City Hall was ranked #49 on the AIA 150 America's Favorite Architecture list.

 

The Civic Center National Historic District, roughly bounded by Golden Gate Avenue, and 7th, Franklin, Hayes, and Market Streets, is one of the finest and most complete manifestations of the City Beautiful movement, a high minded progressive reform movement in architecture and urban planning that flourished at the start of the 20th century. It is also international importance as the scene of the founding of the United Nations and the drafting and signing of the post-World War II peace treaties with Japan.

 

Civic Center Historic District National Register #78000757 (1978)

On Deck Sports has a great line of landscape turf - The "PT Pro" line. Here is PT Pro-50 in a back yard. Use artificial turf to replace your yard today!

 

www.ondecksports.com/Products/Landscape-Turf

Replacing an earlier scanned photo with a better version 02-Mar-14.

 

Remember the days when we were all trying to squeeze 37 (or even 38) shot's out of a 35mm film. Well on this day I didn't quite make No:38... and didn't have a spare film to take another shot (it's the only Canafrica photo I have - Oh well, some you lose...)

 

Considering the long lives of Douglas DC-9/MD-80's, this aircraft had quite a short career, although it was very varied. Delivered new to CanAfrica in Apr-87, they were re-named Air Sur in Jun-88. Returned to the lessor in Oct-90 as EI-CBO, it was leased to Turkish charter airline TUR Avrupa Hava Yollari in May-91 as TC-TRU. It was returned to GECAS in Mar-94 and leased immediately to Transwede Airways as SE-DRU. It was only with Transwede for a year before being leased to Swissair in Mar-95 and immediately sub-leased to Balair as HB-IUL. Becoming EI-CBO again in Feb-96 it was leased to Nouvelair Tunisie the following month. It was leased to Yugoslavian airline Interimpex in Sep-99. The airline was renamed Avioimpex in Jan-00 and in Dec-00 the aircraft was re-registered Z3-AAC. A year later it was returned to the lessor and sold to Wells Fargo Bank NW as N494AP. It was stored at Goodyear (GYR), AZ, USA in Dec-01. The last reported sighting at Goodyear in my database was in mid 2007 so it's probable that it's been broken up by now (Mar-14).

Not enough time to set focus point. If there's chance again, will replace with a sharper photo...

Replacing an earlier digital photo with a better version 20-Oct-19.

 

With some heat shimmer...

Volkonskoite-replaced fossil wood from the Permian of Russia. (4.3 cm across at its widest)

 

This is a very rare specimen of fossil wood from Permian rocks in western Russia. Most fossil wood is preserved by quartz-permineralization or carbonization. This fossil wood has been replaced by a rare chromian smectite clay mineral called volkonskoite (Ca0.3(Cr,Mg,Fe)2(Si,Al)4O10 (OH)2⋅4H2O - hydrous calcium chromium magnesium iron hydroxy-aluminosilicate). The chromium (Cr) content gives the fossil its green coloration. The striations appear to be remnants of the original wood structure. The broken sides show that the massive, fine-grained volkonskoite breaks with a conchoidal fracture.

 

Host rocks & age: soft fluvial sandstones, Kazanian to Tatarian Stages, upper Upper Permian

 

Locality: Mt. Efimiatsk (Mt. Efimyatskaya), near the town of Efimyata, ~10 miles west of Votinsk Reservoir & ~30 miles southwest of Okhansk, Chastinsky District, southwestern Perm Region, western foothills of the southwestern Ural Mountains, western Russia

 

Testing out the paint color in the office. The Jajah purple soon to be replaced with Swipp orange.

Or maybe Jamie has had a successful hair transplant, and looks 30 years younger, too! ;)

 

Jamie and his daughter Elodie in manbaby form. Had to replace the shadow where Jamie's head was with one matching Elodie's; also involved colour correction and repairing area where heads were removed.

Replacing an earlier digital photo with a better version 09-Jun-25.

 

This aircraft was delivered to GECAS and leased to SkyEurope Airlines as OM-NGC in Apr-06. It was repossessed by GECAS in Jan-09 and stored as Ostrava, Czechia (SkyEurope ceased operations at the end of Aug-09).

 

The aircraft was re-registered OK-GCE in Oct-09 and ferried to Shannon, Ireland for repainting. It was leased to Aerolineas Argentinas, Argentina as LV-CBF at the end of Oct-09. Current, updated 09-Jun-25.

I have been through the village many times, but not found the church ope, but after driving by recently, I saw the west porch door open, so found a place to park nearby.

 

The church stands on high ground over the village's famous ford, and beside what was once the high road, but is still busy.

 

The porch is underneath the tower on the west end of the church, and upon entering the building is filled with light. The pews have been replaced by modern seating, an there is a fairly new alter, but the apse is clean and light.

 

A couple were visiting from up north, and were delighted to have met another visitor, especially one who has visited close to 350 Kentish churches.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Sitting on high ground above the famous ford, this is a light and well cared for church. Saxon in origin, but with a character now of the thirteenth century, it is currently (2005) being reordered to make it more adaptable. Already the north aisle is not part of the church but proposals to remove pews and change the layout will result in an even more flexible space. The finest part of the church is the south transept - with its very tall lancet windows and modern altar.

 

www.kentchurches.info/church.asp?p=Eynsford

 

-------------------------------------------

 

EYNSFORD.

SOUTHWARD from Farningham lies Eynsford, sometimes written Aynsford, so named from a noted ford here over the river Darent.

 

THIS PARISH extends about four miles from east to west, and about three miles from north to south; on the north side it reaches almost up to the village of Farningham, near to which stood the antient mansion of Sibell's; and towards the west, over the hills, by Wested-farm and the obscure and little known hamlet of Crockenhill, both within its bounds, among a quantity of woodlands. The soil is in general chalky, except towards the west, where there is some strong heavy land. The village of Eynsford, through the eastern part of which the high road leads from Dartford through Farningham, and hence towards Sevenoke, is situated near the south-west bounds of the parish, in the valley on the banks of the Darent; over it there is a bridge here, repaired at the public charge of the county. At the north end of the village, near the river, are the remains of Eynsford castle, (fn. 1) and at the south end of it the church; beyond which this parish extends southward, on the chalk hills, a mile and an half; where, near the boundaries of it, is Afton lodge.

 

THIS PLACE was given to Christ church, in. Canterbury, in the time of archbishop Dunstan, who came to the see in 950, by a certain rich man, named Ælphege; after whose death one Leossune, who had married the widow of Eadric, Elphege's nephew, retained this land as his own, notwithstanding this devise of it. Upon which the trial of it was appointed at Ærhede, before Uulsi, the priest seir-man, or judge of the county, in presence of archbishop Dunstan, the parties themselves, the bishops of London and Rochester, and a multitude of lay people; and there, in the presence of the whole assembly, the archbishop taking the crossin his hand, made his oath upon the book of the ecclesiastical laws to the scir-man, who then took it to the king's use, as Leossune himself refused to receive it, that the right use of these lands was to Christ church; and as a farther confirmation of it to future times, it had the ratification of a thousand of the choicest men out of Suthex, Westsex, Middlesex, and Eastsex, who took their oaths also on the cross to the truth of it after him. (fn. 2)

 

At the time of taking the general survey of Domesday, Eynesford was held of the archbishop of Canterbury, by knight's service, and accordingly it is thus entered, under the general title of Terra Militum Archiepi, in that record.

 

Ralph Fitz Unspac holds Ensford of the archbishop. It was taxed at six suling. The arable land is. In demesne there are five carucates and 29 villeins, with nine borders, having 15 carucates. There are 2 churches and nine servants, and two mills of 43 shillings, and 29 acres of meadow; wood for the pannage of 20 hogs. In the time of king Edward the Confessor it was worth 16 pound, and now it is worth 20 pounds.—Of this manor Richard de Tonebridge holds as much wood as 20 bogs may go out from, and one mill of five shillings, and one fishery in this lowy.

 

In the reign of king Henry II. a family of the name of Eynsford was in the possession of this place, one of whom. William de Eynesford, was sheriff of London in that reign. (fn. 3) They bore for their arms, A fretty ermine, which coat is carved on the roof of the cloisters, at Canterbury. William de Eynesford, whether the same as above mentioned does not appear, held the MANOR and CASTLE of Eynsford of the archbishop, at which time archbishop Becket, having given the church of Eynsford to one Laurence, William de Eynesford dispossessed him of it, for which he was excommunicated by the archbishop, which offended the king exceedingly; (fn. 4) another of the same name possessed this manor and castle in the 12th and 13th years of king John. (fn. 5) In the reign of king Edward I. this estate was become the property of the family of Criol, in the 21st year of which, as appears by the Tower records, John de Criol and Ralph de Sandwich claimed the privileges of a manor here; Nicholas de Criol, a descendant of this John, died possessed of it, anno 3 king Richard II. (fn. 6) after which it passed by sale to the Zouches, of Harringworth. William Zouche died possessed of it in the 5th year of that reign, and left three sons, Sir William le Zouche of Braunfield, Edmund. and Thomas; which last and this castle and manor, of which he was possessed at his death, anno 6 king Henry IV. (fn. 7) After which it passed into the name of Chaworth; and Elizabeth, wife of William Chaworth, was found to die possessed of it in the 17th year of king Henry VII. Soon after which, it was conveyed by sale to Sir Percival Hart, of the body of Henry VIII. His son, Sir George Hart, died anno 22 queen Elizabeth possessed of this castle and manor, with the mill, called Garsmill, holding them of the king, as of his manor of Otford, by knights service; (fn. 8) since which they have descended in the same manner that Lullingstone has, to Sir John Dixon Dyke, bart. the present possessor of them.

 

There are large ruins still remaining of Eynsford castle. The walls, which are built of squared flint, are near four feet thick, being entire for near forty feet in height. The circuit of these walls are of a very irregular form, and contain about three quarters of an acre of ground, in the middle of them is a strong keep or dungeon. It stands at a small distance eastward from the river Darent, between which and the castle, as well as for the same space about it, there is much rubbish and foundations of buildings, and there are remains of a broad moat round it, now quite dry.

 

Many lands in Eynsford are held of this manor by annual quit rents. A constable is chosen at the court leet, held for it, for the liberty of Eynsford, which extends over the parish of Eynsford, and great part of the south side of Farningham-street.

 

SOUTH-COURT is a manor here, which was antiently part of the estate of the family of Eynesford, already mentioned, and was formerly parcel of Eynsford-castle. John de St. Clere possessed this manor in the 20th year of king Edward III. at which time he paid aid for it. In the reign of king Henry VII. it was come into the name of Dinham; and John Dinham died possessed of the manor of South-court, with its appurtenances, in Eynsford, which he held of the archibshop, as of his manor of Otford, by knights service, in the 17th of king Henry VIII. (fn. 9) From Dinham it passed by sale to Sir Thomas Wyatt of Allington-castle, from which family it was sold to Hart; and Sir John Hart, son and heir of Sir Percival Hart, knight of the body to king Henry VIII. (fn. 10) died possessed of it in the 22d year of queen Elizabeth, holding it of the queen, as of her manor of Otford, by knight service.

 

Since this unity of possession, the style of these manors has been, the castle and manor of Eynsford cum Southcourt; by which title they have descended, in the same manor as Lullingstone, to Sir John Dixon Dyke, bart. the present possessor of them.

 

The MANOR of ORKESDEN, the mansion of which is now called, by corruption, Aston-LODGE, was antiently possessed by a family, who took their surname from their residence here. William de Orkesden, in the 12th and 13th years of king John's reign held half a knight's see in Eynsford, by knight's service of the archbishop. He was one of the Recognitores Magna Assise, or justices of the Great Assize. (fn. 11)

 

In the reign of king Edward III. Reginald de Cobham was become possessed of this manor; in the 14th year of which he obtained a charter of free warren in all the demesne lands within his lordship of Orkesdenne; and in the next year he obtained licence to castellate his house here. He was son of Reginald de Cobham, who was son of John de Cobham of Cobham, by his second wife, Joane, daughter of Hugh de Nevill. (fn. 12)

 

This Reginald de Cobham was a great warrior; and in the 18th year of king Edward III. was constituted admiral of the king's fleet, from the Thames mouth westward. In the 20th of king Edward III. he paid aid for one quarter of a see in Orkesden, which he held of William de Eynesford, as of his manor of Eynsford. He died of the pestilence in the 35th year of that reign possessed of this manor, leaving Regihald his son and heir, and Joane his wife, daughter of Sir Maurice de Berkeley surviving, who possessed this manor at her death, anno 43 king Edward III. (fn. 13) Her son, Reginald, was lord of Sterborough, castle, in Surry, from whence this branch of the Cobhams was henceforward called, Cobhams of Sterborough-castle. (fn. 14)

 

His grandson, Sir Thomas Cobham, left a sole daughter and heir, Anne, who carried this manor in marriage to Sir Edward Borough, who survived him, and died possessed of it in the 20th year of king Henry VIII. then holding it of the lord Zouche, as of his manor of Eynsford, by knights service. (fn. 15)

 

Thomas, their son and heir, was summoned to parliament, as lord borough, anno 21 Henry VIII. He left Thomas his son and heir, who bequeathed this manor of Orkesden to his youngest son, Sir William Borough; and he, in the beginning of queen Elizabeth's reign, passed it away by sale to Francis Sandbache, esq. who sold it to John Lennard, esq. custos brevium of the court of common-pleas, who purchased it for his second son, Samuel Lennard, who was afterwards knighted, and was of West Wickham, in this county. On his death, in 1618, he was succeeded here by his son, Sir Stephen Lennard, who was created a baronet in 1642; he sold it to Richard Duke, esq. from whom it passed to Nathaniel Tench, esq. who died in 1710, and was buried at Low Leyton, in Essex. His only surviving son, Fither Tench, was created a baronet in 1715. (fn. 16) and died possessed of Orkesden manor in 1736; soon after which it was conveyed by sale to Percival Hart. esq. of Lullingstone, whose grandson, Sir John Dixon Dyke, bart. is the present owner of it.

 

Many lands in Eynsford, Lullingstone, and Sevenoke, are held of this manor by small annual quit rents.

 

On the western side of this parish, next to St. Mary Cray, lies the HAMLET of CROCKENHILL, which, as appears by a writ, Ad quod damnum, brought against the prioress of Dartford, in the 11th year of king Edward IV. was in the possession of that prioress and convent; with whom it staid till their suppression, in the reign of king Henry VIII. when their lands and revenues were surrendered into the king's hands; all which were confirmed to him and his successors by the general words of the act of the 31st of his reign, the year after which the king granted to Percival Hart, esq. among other premises, the manor of Crekenhill, alias Crokenhill, with its appurtenances, to hold of him in capite by knights service. (fn. 17) His son, Sir George Hart, of Lullingstone, died possessed of it, being then stiled Crockenhill, alias Court-hawe, in the 22d year of queen Elizabeth, holding it by the above tenure. Since which it has descended, in the same manner as the rest of his estates in this parish, to Sir John Dixon Dyke, bart. the present possessor of it.

 

This manor pays a yearly fee-farm rent to the crown of eleven shillings and five-pence.

 

LITTLE-MOTE and PETHAM-COURT are two manors, situated at the two opposite sides of this parish; the former being at the north east corner of it, near Farningham; and the latter at the north-west corner of it, near adjoining to Crokenhill and St. Mary Cray. These manors were, for many generations, part of the possessions of the family of Sibell, who resided at a mansion, called after them Sibell's, situated in Little or Lower Mote, and bore for their arms, Argent, a tiger gules, viewing himself in a glass or mirror, azure. Their estate here was much increased in the reign of king Henry VIII. by one of them marrying the female heir of Cowdale. These Cowdales bore for their arms, Argent, a chevron gules between three cows heads caboshed sable; which coat, both impaled and quartured with Sybill, Philipott says was remaining in the mansion here, both in painted glass and carved work, in his time. (fn. 18)

 

One of this family, John Sibell, died in the 17th year of queen Elizabeth, possessed of these estates, and also of the demesne lands of the manor of Hiltes bury; all which were held of the manor of Eynsford. He left an only daughter and heir, Elizabeth, and Jane his wife surviving, who held these estates for her life, and afterwards married Francis Hart, esq.

 

Elizabeth Sibell, the daughter, in the 24th year of queen Elizabeth, married Robert Bosevile, esq. afterwards knighted, the younger brother of Henry Bosevile of Bradborne, and son of Ralph Bosevile, of that place, clerk of the court of wards; and he, on her mother's death, became, in her right, possessed of Sibell's, with the manors of Littlemote and Petham. His descendant, Sir Thomas Bosevile, was of Littlemote, and had been a colonel in the king's army, and knighted by king Charles I. at Durham, in May 1642. He died the next year, and was buried in St. Mary's church, Oxford. (fn. 19) By Sarah, his wife, who afterwards married Col. Richard Crimes, he had a son, Thomas, who possessed these manors and Sibell's on his father's death. He married Elizabeth, only daughter of Sir Francis Wyat, of Boxleyabbey, and died in 1660, leaving an only daughter and heir, Margaretta, who carried the manor of Petham-court in marriage to Sir Robert Marsham, bart. of Bushey-hall, in Hertfordshire; and his great grand son, the Right Hon. Charles Marsham, lord Romney, is the present possessor of it.

 

But the manor of Littlemote, with Sibell's, became the property of Sir Henry Bosevile, who died in 1702, (fn. 20) without issue, and devised this manor and estate to his kinsman, Robert Bosevile, esq. of Staffordshire, whose family was originally of Ardesley, in Yorkshire, in the reign of queen Elizabeth, a younger branch of them settled in Kent, at Bradborne, in Sevenoke, and here at Eynsford; and a younger branch of these again in Staffordshire; they bore for their arms, Argent, a fess lozengy gules, in chief three bears heads erased sable.

 

His son of the same name, in the year 1755, sold it, in several parcels, to different persons, since which it has been of no consequence worth mentioning, and the old mansion of Sibell's has been pulled down some years ago, and two tenements have been erected on the scite of it.

 

Charities.

PERCIVAL HART, esq. gave by will, for the benefit of the poor, an annuity out of lands, vested in Sir John Dyke, bart. and of the annual produce of 2l.

 

AN UNKNOWN PERSON gave for the like use, a house, let by the parish to Philip Weller, and of the annual value of 4l.

 

SIR ANTHONY ROPER and . . . . . . . . HATCLIFF, esq. (as is supposed) gave for the benefit of the same, lands and houses in Greenwich, the rents to be divided, to the parish of Farningham threefifths, to Horton Kirkby one-fifth, and to this parish of Eynsford one-fifth, the annual produce being to this parish, on an average, 7l.

 

EYNSFORD is in the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION OF THE diocese of Rochester, and being a peculiar of the archbishop, it is as such in the deanry of Shoreham. The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, is situated at the south-east end of the village.

 

It seems from the form of it to be one of our early Norman structures, and coeval with the castle. It is built in the form of a cross, with two large wings or side chancels; that on the south side belonged to the Sibell's, and afterwards to the Bosevile's, many of whom lie buried in it, several of whose gravestones and inscriptions are now so covered with fifth and rubbish that they are illegible; and the place itself, through continued neglect, is hastening to a total ruin. The north chancel is kept in good repair, and is filled with pews and a neat vestry room. In this chancel, according to Weever, was a stone, on which was engraved, in wondrous antique characters, Ici gis. la famme de la Roberg de Eckisford, perhaps it may have been so spelt for Einesford, or one of his mistakes for it, and if so, this chancel might belong to the Eynesfords, lords of this manor and castle; the stone is now hid by the wooden flooring over it. At the west end of the church is a spire steeple, underneath which is a curious circular door way of Saxon or very early Norman architecture. (fn. 21)

 

Among other monuments and inscriptions in this church, in the chancel, a gravestone, arms, a lion passant guardant, in chief three stirrups, for George Gifford, esq. obt. 1704, æt. 85; another for Thomas Gifford, esq. obt. 1705, æt. 59. In the chancel, on the south side of the church, a gravestone for lady Sarah Bosevile, wife of Col. Richard Crimes, obt. 1660; another for Tho. Bosevile, esq. of Littlemote, in Eynsford, only son of Sir Thomas Bosevile; he married Elizabeth, only daughter of Sir Francis Wiat of Boxley-abbey, by whom he left Margaretta, his sole daughter and heir; obt. 1660; another, arms, five lozenges in fess, in chief three bears heads erased, impaling two bends engrailed, and a canton, for Sir Henry Bosevile, of Littlemote, and dame Mary his wife; she died 1693, he died 1702. On the south wall, a monument with the above arms, for Mrs. Margaret Bosevile, only daughter and heir of Sir Henry Bosevile, of Littlemote, ob. 1682, æt. 26. (fn. 22)

 

William de Eynesford, lord of this parish, gave the church of Eynsford to the monks o Christ-church, in Canterbury, when he became a monk there; which was confirmed by William de Enysford, his grandson. (fn. 23) Archbishop Richard, in the reign of king Henry II. appropriated this church to the almonry of Christ church. (fn. 24) In the time of Stephen Langton, archbishop of Canterbury, there was a dispute, whether the church of Farningham was a chapel to the church of Eynsford or not ?

 

In consequence of which, the archbishop, by his decree, made with the consent of all parties in 1225, ordained, that the rector of Eynsford and his successors, should possess entirely the whole church of Eynsford, with all its tythes, as well great as small, houses, lands, gardens, and all other things belonging to it, which the rector of it was wont to have before; and that the almoner of Christ-church, and not the monks, should possess, to the use of the almonry, the chapel of Farningham, with its appurtenauces, &c. belonging to it, as is therein mentioned; and that the rector of this church of Eynsford should, on a vacancy, present to the vicarage of this church; and that further than this, neither should intermeddle, or claim a right in the above premisess. (fn. 25)

 

Thus this rectory became a fine cure, the parson of this church from that time having presented to the vicarage, the incumbent of which has had the cure of souls, in which situation the rectory still remains, being esteemed as a donative of the patronage of the archbishop of Canterbury.

 

In the 15th year of king Edward I. this church was valued at thirty marcs. (fn. 26) In 1575, Henry Withers, clerk, parson of the parish church and benefice of Eynsford, leased this rectory to Thomas Dunmoll, yeoman, at 12l. 6s. 8d. per annum. In 1633, John Gifford, D. D. rector, let the same to Thomas Gifford, his son, at forty pounds per annum rent.

 

By virtue of the commission of enquiry into the value of church livings, in 1650, issuing out of chancery, it was returned, that Eynsford was a donative, with a house, and one hundred acres of glebe, and the great tythes, worth altogether one hundred and ten pounds per annum, then in the possession of George Gifford, esq. that the vicarage had a house, but no glebe land, and was worth thirty-five pounds per annum, one master Heriot enjoying it, and preaching there. (fn. 27)

 

Francis Porter, rector in 1674, let to George Gifford, esq. of Pennis, this rectory, or parsonage of forty pounds per annum, and of twenty pounds to the vicar, Edward Tilson, which last sum is mentioned to be an augmentation made in pursuance of the king's letters recommendatory, which lease was confirmed in 1707, in pursuance of like letters of queen Anne.

 

¶George Gifford, esq. of Pennis, continued lessee till his death, in 1704, when his interest in it devolved to his son, Thomas Gifford, who died the next year, and left three daughters and coheirs, viz. Margaret, married to Thomas Petley; Mary to John Selby, and Jane to Finch Umsrey; this parsonage being let by them at one hundred and forty-five pounds per annum.

 

The interest of this lease passed by sale from them to Percival Hart, esq. of Lullingstone, whose grandson, Sir John Dixon Dyke, bart. a few years ago, suffered the lease to expire.

 

The rectory of Eynsford is valued in the king's books at 12l. 16s. 8d. and the yearly tenths at 1l. 5s. 8d. the vicarage at twelve pounds, and the tenths at 1l. 4s. (fn. 28)

 

www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol2/pp527-539

 

The life of this group of shops and associated children's play area came to an abrupt halt when the main highway was replaced with a new road a few hundred meters away

Gloucester Rd, Wanchai.

Built to replace an earlier police station in Wanchai, this building (also known as 'No.2 Police Station') had previously faced the harbour. The waterfront is now many metres away after successive reclamation projects in land-hungry Honkers.

 

Reflecting the emerging Modernism in the 1930s, the rather austere style of architecture is known as "Stripped Classicism" where Classical or Neo-Classical architectural designs were reduced to their structural elements. In this building, for example, whilst its symmetry is impeccable, the central pediment bears only sparse ornamentation; the columns are neither Corinthian nor Ionic, moreover they are neither rounded nor fluted; the arcade is rectangular and functional with no detailing save the occassional rusticated column. Popular in the 1930s, this style of architecture was especially popular in public and institutional buildings in Britain and the US. The style, however, was to attain notoriety as the preferred architecture of the vainglorious and troublesome Messrs Hitler and Mussolini.

 

The building's use as a police station came to an end in late 2010. It will be put up for open tender at some point in the future. Although demolition is unlikely, given the Hong Kong's Government's pathetic record on "historic preservation", I shudder to think that it ends up to be a mish-mash of foreign luxury shopping and brand goods outlets (like we need more!), expensive restaurants and de-luxe hotel-style interiors (marble, mirrors etc). Yawn.

  

I went to Bath Row to get the Queen's Hosptial blue plaque from the Birmingham Civic Society. It also remembers the Accident Hospital that replaced it.

 

It is now Liberty Living for Students. At Queen's Hospital Close.

 

Both buildings Grade II listed.

 

Listing for left building:

 

West Block to Birmingham Accident Hospital (excluding Later Rear Extensions), Birmingham

 

BATH ROW

1.

5104

Lee Bank B15

West block to Birmingham

Accident Hospital

(excluding later rear

extensions)

SP 08 NE 7/10

II GV

2.

1873 built as an extension to the adjacent earlier hospital. Architect J

H Chamberlain - unusually in an Italianate style. A rectangular block with

entrance front to road end. Two storeys with taller centre. Red brick with

ashlar dressings, 2 bay wings and slightly recessed single bays flanking broad

centrepiece. Superimposed order of ashlar dressed brick pilasters to wings,

and similar but coupled pilasters flanking centre. Ashlar entablature with

panelled parapet, broken in centre by pilastered attic storey surmounted

by pediment. The ground floors of wings have channelled ashlar facing and

flat arched windows, round arched pilastered windows on first floor. Above

the modernised entrance, the centrepiece has a large 2 light window surmounted

by a Diocletian window, both contained in the same arched surround which breaks

into the attic.

   

Listing NGR: SP0622886113

 

Listing for right building:

 

East Block to Birmingham Accident Hospital, Birmingham

 

BATH ROW

1.

5104

Lee Bank B15

East block to

Birmingham Accident

Hospital

SP 08 NE 7/9 GV

II

2.

Circa 1840-41 architects Bateman and Devey. Purpose built hospital on a rectangular

plan with tall dignified late Regency elevation to road. Three storeys and

basement, 2:3:2 bays, the centre 3 recessed. Red brick with ashlar basement

and ground floor, the latter channelled up to first floor sill band. Stucco

frieze below projecting eaves cornice, hipped slate roof. Revealed glazing

bar sash windows; those on ground floor with panelled sill zones. First floor

windows have applied sections of parapet with breaks in sill band on consoles,

block shallow pediments above supported on consoles. The centre 3 windows

have pilaster frames. Top floor windows square with flat gauged arches.

In the centre of ground floor is a large stuccoed, tripartite square-pier

porch with flight of steps leading up through centre bay; deep plain entablature

with projecting cornice and blocking course surmounted by achievement of arms.

Later additions to rear, not of special interest.

   

Listing NGR: SP0626286114

1 2 ••• 21 22 24 26 27 ••• 79 80