View allAll Photos Tagged conserver

Nature Trust land preserved for both farming and wild habitat near Chilliwack.

Le palais de l'Aljaferia (en arabe : قصر الجعفرية, Qasr Aljafariya ; en espagnol : Palacio de la Aljafería) est un palais fortifié construit durant la seconde moitié du XIe siècle, à l'époque d'Al-Muqtadir, à Saragosse, en tant que résidence des rois Banu Hud. Il reflète la splendeur de la taïfa de Saragosse au moment de son apogée politique et culturel.

 

Son importance réside en ce qu'il est l'unique témoignage conservé d'un grand édifice de l'architecture islamique en Espagne à l'époque des Taïfas. Avec la mosquée de Cordoue (Xe siècle) et le chant du cygne de la culture islamique que fut l'Alhambra de Grenade (XIVe siècle), nous devons inclure dans la triade de l'architecture hispano-musulmane l'Aljaferia de Saragosse comme parfait exemple de réalisation de l'art taïfa de la période intermédiaire des royaumes indépendants antérieurs à l'avènement des Almoravides.

 

Après la reconquête de Saragosse en 1118 par Alphonse Ier le Batailleur, le palais servit de résidence aux rois catholiques d'Aragon, dont l'Aljaferia devint le principal élément de diffusion de l'art mudéjar aragonais. Il devint la résidence royale de Pierre IV le Cérémonieux. Postérieurement, en 1492 fut menée la reconversion des appartements de l'étage principal en palais des rois catholiques.

 

En 1593 fut mise en chantier une autre reconversion qui en fit une forteresse militaire, dans un style Renaissance (que l'on peut observer dans l'environnement, les fossés et les jardins), et plus tard encore, une caserne. Le palais eut encore à subir d'autres transformations et déprédations, en particulier durant le siège de Saragosse de la guerre d'Indépendance, jusqu'à sa restauration dans la seconde moitié du XXe siècle. Le palais est actuellement le siège des Cortes d'Aragon.

 

La Aljafería es un palacio fortificado construido en Zaragoza en la segunda mitad del siglo XI por iniciativa de Al-Muqtadir como residencia de los reyes hudíes de Saraqusta. Este palacio de recreo (llamado entonces «Qasr al-Surur» o Palacio de la Alegría) refleja el esplendor alcanzado por el reino taifa en el periodo de su máximo apogeo político y cultural.

 

Su importancia radica en que es el único testimonio conservado de un gran edificio de la arquitectura islámica hispana de la época de las Taifas. De modo que, si se conserva un magnífico ejemplo del Califato de Córdoba, su Mezquita (siglo X), y otro del canto de cisne de la cultura islámica en Al-Ándalus, del siglo XIV, La Alhambra de Granada, se debe incluir en la tríada de la arquitectura hispano-musulmana La Aljafería de Zaragoza (siglo XI) como muestra de las realizaciones del arte taifa, época intermedia de reinos independientes anterior a la llegada de los almorávides. Los restos mudéjares del palacio de la Aljafería fueron declarados Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la Unesco en 2001 como parte del conjunto «Arquitectura mudéjar de Aragón».1

 

Las soluciones adoptadas en la ornamentación de la Aljafería, como la utilización de arcos mixtilíneos y de los salmeres en «S», la extensión del ataurique calado en grandes superficies o la esquematización y abstracción progresiva de las yeserías de carácter vegetal, influyeron decisivamente en el arte almorávide y almohade tanto del Magreb como de la península ibérica. Asimismo, la transición de la decoración hacia motivos más geométricos está en la base del arte nazarí.

 

Tras la reconquista de Zaragoza en 1118 por Alfonso I el Batallador pasó a ser residencia de los reyes cristianos de Aragón, con lo que la Aljafería se convirtió en el principal foco difusor del mudéjar aragonés. Fue utilizada como residencia regia por Pedro IV el Ceremonioso y posteriormente, en la planta principal, se llevó a cabo la reforma que convirtió estas estancias en palacio de los Reyes Católicos en 1492. En 1593 experimentó otra reforma que la convertiría en fortaleza militar, primero según diseños renacentistas (que hoy se pueden observar en su entorno, foso y jardines) y más tarde como acuartelamiento de regimientos militares. Sufrió reformas continuas y grandes desperfectos, sobre todo con los Sitios de Zaragoza de la Guerra de la Independencia hasta que finalmente fue restaurada en la segunda mitad del siglo XX y actualmente acoge las Cortes de Aragón.

  

The Aljafería Palace (Spanish: Palacio de la Aljafería; Arabic: قصر الجعفرية‎‎, tr. Qasr al-Jaʿfariya) is a fortified medieval Islamic palace built during the second half of the 11th century in the Taifa of Zaragoza of Al-Andalus, present day Zaragoza, Spain. It was the residence of the Banu Hud dynasty during the era of Abu Jaffar Al-Muqtadir after abolishing Banu Tujibi of Kindah dynasty. The palace reflects the splendor attained by the kingdom of the taifa of Zaragoza at the height of its grandeur. The palace currently contains the Cortes (regional parliament) of the autonomous community of Aragon.

 

The structure holds unique importance in that it is the only conserved testimony of a large building of Spanish Islamic architecture of the era of the Taifas (independent kingdoms).

  

Wikipedia

  

Brookwood Point is a conserved park with access to Otsego Lake in Cooperstown, N.Y., seen on May 24, 2015. Otsego Land Trust has worked with both Scenic Byways and National Park Service grants to improve features of the park. (Photo by Will Parson/Chesapeake Bay Program)

 

USAGE REQUEST INFORMATION

The Chesapeake Bay Program's photographic archive is available for media and non-commercial use at no charge. To request permission, send an email briefly describing the proposed use to requests@chesapeakebay.net. Please do not attach jpegs. Instead, reference the corresponding Flickr URL of the image.

 

A photo credit mentioning the Chesapeake Bay Program is mandatory. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way or used in any way that suggests approval or endorsement of the Chesapeake Bay Program. Requestors should also respect the publicity rights of individuals photographed, and seek their consent if necessary.

5.5 x 3.5 inches, collage on paper

Des stalles du château de Gaillon sont conservées dans la basilique Saint-Denis près de Paris. Ce château était la résidence de loisir des archevêques de Rouen. Commandées au début du XVIe siècle par Georges d’Amboise, ces stalles ont été construites lorsque cet archevêque, devenu légat du pape et premier conseiller de Louis XII a fait transformer le château médiéval en palais de la Renaissance. Seules stalles en France à présenter de nombreux panneaux de marqueterie et une iconographie inédite, elles forment un mobilier unique, chef-d’œuvre de cette période charnière entre gothique et Renaissance, arborant une grande mixité de styles. Ces stalles sont les chaires qui étaient destinées aux trois chanoines qui officiaient dans la chapelle haute du château de Gaillon, dédiée à saint Georges. Elles étaient ceintes d’une clôture en boiset constituaient ainsi le chœur liturgique de l'édifice.

 

Les stalles en chêne sont composées de deux rangées disposées côté nord et sud du transept de la basilique de Saint-Denis. La rangée nord présente un ensemble de six stalles, la rangée sud de cinq stalles et une isolée. Seules douze stalles ont été créées au XVIe siècle alors que le programme iconographique en prévoyait quatorze. De 2,83 m de haut, elles composées d’un siège et d’un dorsal, ce dernier comprenant deux registres : un bas-relief surmontant un panneau de marqueterie. Tous les éléments sont sculptés ou marquetés. De manière unique, les dossiers, les dorsaux et les voussures des dais sont galbés. De même les chaires ont des largeurs variées, fixées par celles des bas-reliefs des dorsaux. Pour s’adapter, les largeurs d’autres composants ont été rectifiées. La mixité de style se retrouve dans la globalité, les interdorsaux et deux dais étant gothiques alors que les faibles reliefs sont apparentés aux grotesques de la Renaissance, les bas-reliefs et les marqueteries des dorsaux étant quant à eux à la fois d’inspiration péninsulaire et septentrionale.

 

Sont illustrées sur les bas-reliefs originaux des dorsaux deux scènes de la vie d’Anne et Joachim, parents de la vierge Marie, cinq scènes de la vie de saint Jean-Baptiste le précurseur et sept scènes de la vie de saint Georges selon les textes d’Évangile ou de la Légende dorée. Nombre d’autres saints sont présentés en pied, sous forme de statuettes sur les interdorsaux ou de bas-reliefs sur les soubassements des jouées, notamment les quatre évangélistes sur ces derniers. Sur les panneaux marquetés des quadrants des parcloses sont figurées les affres des enfers des condamnés selon les sept péchés capitaux, avec les planètes et leurs influences. Les représentations sont inspirées des gravures du Calendrier des bergers imprimé à cette époque.

 

Les miséricordes figurent des scènes des Métamorphoses d’Ovide ainsi que les arts libéraux selon la Margarita Philosophica de G. Reisch. Les artisans se sont inspirés de gravures d’ouvrages imprimés au début du XVIe siècle, par exemple le soldat romain Caius Mucius Scaevola devant le roi Étrusque Porsenna y étant représenté exposant ainsi des thématiques propres à la culture antique. De manière également tout à fait inédite, les 7 vertus, cardinales et théologales, et 7 sibylles sont figurées et représentées sur les panneaux de marqueterie du premier registre des dorsaux. Les allégories et les prophétesses sont encadrées d’architectures identiques deux à deux qui les mettent en concordance. Les sibylles ont été choisies parmi celles du manuscrit des Heures de Louis de Laval dont les auteurs ont cité les prophéties. Ces dernières proviennent du manuscrit des Institutions divines de Lactance qui était de nouveau traduit et que le cardinal a lui-même fait enluminer. Ce grand rhéteur du IVe siècle ayant quant à lui repris les oracles rédigés dans les Oracles sibyllins.

 

Georges Ier d’Amboise n’a pas manqué de faire valoir qu’il était le commanditaire des stalles en demandant à ce que ses armes et sa devise y figurent à de nombreuses reprises. Le légat a donné pour modèles aux artisans des stalles des enluminures ou gravures de manuscrits faisant partie de sa splendide bibliothèque, digne d'un grand érudit humaniste. Il fit venir l’Italie en choisissant la marqueterie figurative en sus de la sculpture, seule technique utilisée à l'époque en France. Sans renier la tradition en faisant figurer les saints, il a fait représenter de manière inédite leur cycle de vie, dont il a choisi des événements bien spécifiques. De plus, il a incité les fidèles à s’instruire et à étudier les auteurs antiques en faisant sculpter des allégories des arts libéraux et des personnages mythiques ou héroïques. Enfin, par le dialogue des sibylles et des vertus, il a montré que la rhétorique de Lactance était convaincante. Il a ainsi non seulement introduit en France la mode italienne dans le mobilier, le décor et les ornements du château de Gaillon, mais surtout donné corps à l’esprit humaniste en faisant de ses stalles les messagères qui appellent à une vie vertueuse, dans la foi au Christ annoncé à tous les hommes (cf. wikipédia, merci Glass Angel pour la photo).

Hard to capture the deep ruby color of this pretty conserve in the morning light, but oh my does it look delicious in those jars. :)

 

This was part of my project yesterday to use up the half-bushel of peaches we got from our co-op, while teaching my mom to can. I had some leftover cherries from our co-op basket last week and used them in this as well, for a tasty treat.

 

2 cups peeled & pitted peaches

2 cups pitted cherries

2 cups water

3 cups sugar

3 Tbs lime juice

 

* Puree peaches and cherries together

* Bring pureed fruit & water to a boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.

* Add lime juice and sugar and stir well. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes - 1 hour until it is the consistency you like. Make sure to stir regularly.

* Pour into clean jars

* Process in a pressure canner at 9 lbs pressure for 10 minutes.

somewhere in Hell's Kitchen, NYC

Photo: Susan Allen/ Stockton University

This image forms part of the digitised photographs of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection. Ross Craig (1926-2012) was a local historian born in Stockton and dedicated much of his life promoting and conserving the history of Stockton, NSW. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about the suburb and was a founding member of the Stockton Historical Society and co-editor of its magazine. Pat Craig supported her husband’s passion for history, and together they made a great contribution to the Stockton and Newcastle communities. We thank the Craig Family and Stockton Historical Society who have kindly given Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, access to the collection and allowed us to publish the images. Thanks also to Vera Deacon for her liaison in attaining this important collection.

 

Please contact Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, if you are the subject of the image, or know the subject of the image, and have cultural or other reservations about the image being displayed on this website and would like to discuss this with us.

 

Some of the images were scanned from original photographs in the collection held at Cultural Collections, other images were already digitised with no provenance recorded.

 

You are welcome to freely use the images for study and personal research purposes. Please acknowledge as “Courtesy of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection, University of Newcastle (Australia)" For commercial requests please consider making a donation to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

 

These images are provided free of charge to the global community thanks to the generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund. If you wish to donate to the Vera Deacon Fund please download a form here: uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

 

If you have any further information on the photographs, please leave a comment.

To be profligate or not to be, that is the question!

To conserve fuel, LRO was moved from its 50-km circular orbit into an elliptical orbit on 11 December 2011. As a result, the spacecraft's altitude is now significantly higher in the northern hemisphere; the low point of the orbit is ~30 km over the south pole and 200 km over the north pole. This new orbit provides fantastic opportunities to acquire large area mosaics with nearly identical lighting across numerous orbits. For this Giordano Bruno crater mosaic, LROC acquired four NAC pairs (8 NAC images), from 4 orbits in a row, over a six hour period on 1 March 2012. Since LRO's polar orbits progress from east to west, the first image pair was acquired by slewing the spacecraft 6° to the west, on the next orbit only 1° to the west, on the third orbit LRO slewed 4° to the east, and the last orbit 9° to the east. The pixel scale of the images was about 1.6 to 1.8 meters, so the images were reprojected to 1.8 meters.

A conserved ruin of a gothical castle, later rebuilt in renaissance style. It is a rare type of a castle/chateau hybrid founded in 1381, with more emphasis on comfort and less on defense. The defense tower was lower than normal, the windows were large, the palace was accesible directly from the first courtyard. The brugrave from Křivoklát Castle built himself a castle which was very progressive and ahead of it´s time. It was devastated in the Thirty Year War, but renewed, and got a new red ceramic roof, due to which it was then also known as Red Castle. A flash started a large fire in 1783, which completely destroyed the castle, and it was not renewed. Conservation work began in 1915, the ruin is very popular by tourists and film makers. The wooden bridge was made after the original one, in medieval style and only with historical carpentry axes, it was laid in the place with a medieval wooden crane made the same way - it was a experiment to test medieval technologies and work processes.

Conserve Italia has added Yoga AQ Verde to its line-up. It's an antioxidant blend of pineapple, lemon and apple, with vegetable extracts and green tea.

The Mauthausen Oath

Conserve the international solidarity of the camp in our memories and to derive from it the necessary lessons; follow a common path; the one of freedom - indispensable for every population, of reciprocal respect, of collaboration in the great work of constructing a new world that is free and just for all.

 

Mauthausen Oath, 16 May 1945 - Internationale Befreiungsfeier

 

The Plaza del Rollo, located behind the Plaza de la Villa, in the heart of Habsburg Madrid, is home to this sculptural ensemble with which Madrid City Council pays tribute to the 449 Madrid Republicans deported after the end of the Spanish Civil War to Mauthausen and other Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War.

 

Unveiled on 2 March 2023, the monument consists of five pieces: a 5x5-metre gate, three 3-metre vertical structures and a support that includes the Mauthausen Oath, all of which are made of Corten steel by the sculptor José Miguel Utande.

 

The main sculpture symbolises the Gate of Freedom and expresses the shared dream that encourages those who built this memorial. Alongside it, there are three columns called The Trees of Dreams, symbolising the ordeal, on whose trunks the names of the 449 Madrid Republicans deported to Mauthausen and other concentration camps from 1940 onwards are written.

 

The ensemble is rounded off with the inscription of the commitment made by the survivors of the camps to tell the world what they experienced in order to prevent its repetition, known as the Mauthausen Oath.

 

Bruno Vansina Quartet @ La Conserve Leuven

 

3MAY2018

 

Cyrille Obermüller Double bass

Kobe Proesmans Percussion

Bruno Vansina Alt Sax

Teun Verbruggen Drums

  

Photography: © Patrick Van Vlerken 2018

The pink anti-static polyethylene foam holds each TV in place. I like that it's pink.

This image forms part of the digitised photographs of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection. Ross Craig (1926-2012) was a local historian born in Stockton and dedicated much of his life promoting and conserving the history of Stockton, NSW. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about the suburb and was a founding member of the Stockton Historical Society and co-editor of its magazine. Pat Craig supported her husband’s passion for history, and together they made a great contribution to the Stockton and Newcastle communities. We thank the Craig Family and Stockton Historical Society who have kindly given Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, access to the collection and allowed us to publish the images. Thanks also to Vera Deacon for her liaison in attaining this important collection.

 

Please contact Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, if you are the subject of the image, or know the subject of the image, and have cultural or other reservations about the image being displayed on this website and would like to discuss this with us.

 

Some of the images were scanned from original photographs in the collection held at Cultural Collections, other images were already digitised with no provenance recorded.

 

You are welcome to freely use the images for study and personal research purposes. Please acknowledge as “Courtesy of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection, University of Newcastle (Australia)" For commercial requests please consider making a donation to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

 

These images are provided free of charge to the global community thanks to the generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund. If you wish to donate to the Vera Deacon Fund please download a form here: uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

 

If you have any further information on the photographs, please leave a comment.

This image forms part of the digitised photographs of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection. Ross Craig (1926-2012) was a local historian born in Stockton and dedicated much of his life promoting and conserving the history of Stockton, NSW. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about the suburb and was a founding member of the Stockton Historical Society and co-editor of its magazine. Pat Craig supported her husband’s passion for history, and together they made a great contribution to the Stockton and Newcastle communities. We thank the Craig Family and Stockton Historical Society who have kindly given Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, access to the collection and allowed us to publish the images. Thanks also to Vera Deacon for her liaison in attaining this important collection.

 

Please contact Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, if you are the subject of the image, or know the subject of the image, and have cultural or other reservations about the image being displayed on this website and would like to discuss this with us.

 

Some of the images were scanned from original photographs in the collection held at Cultural Collections, other images were already digitised with no provenance recorded.

 

You are welcome to freely use the images for study and personal research purposes. Please acknowledge as “Courtesy of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection, University of Newcastle (Australia)" For commercial requests please consider making a donation to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

 

These images are provided free of charge to the global community thanks to the generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund. If you wish to donate to the Vera Deacon Fund please download a form here: uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

 

If you have any further information on the photographs, please leave a comment.

Lyon - Fete des lumieres 2005

Edlingham Castle is a ruined fortified manor located between Alnwick and Rothbury. A manor house probably existed on the site from the middle of the 12th century, but the remains visible today were largely built in the 14th and early 15th centuries. It was largely dismantled in the late 17th century. It came into state ownership in the 1970s, and was excavated and the remains conserved in 1978-1982.

 

The North Eastern Railway's Alnwick-Coldstream branch ran close to Edlingham. Although the line closed to passengers in 1930 and freight in 1965, the line's viaduct still overlooks the castle ruins

Peintes vers 1080-1120, les peintures romanes sont très bien conservées et extrêmement bien réali-sées. Bien que lacunaire, ce programme est riche de plusieurs thèmes iconographiques. Sur le mur est, une frise grecque avec effet de relief et différents oiseaux parcourt tout le baptistère. Entre les deux oculi, un Christ avec un nimbe crucifère se tient en majesté dans sa mandorle avec un livre ouvert où est inscrit EGO [SUM V] I [TA] : Je suis la vie (Jean, XIV, 6). Autour de lui, deux anges épousent parfaitement la forme des fenêtres, tous deux tournés vers les Apôtres désignant le Christ. Ceux-ci ne sont pas reconnaissables individuellement, hormis saint Pierre à la droite du Christ. Ils sont en mouvement et marchent sur des vagues représentants le monde sur lequel répandre la parole divine, avec au dessus d'eux une inscription en latin AS-CENDO AD PA-TREM [MEUM E] T PA-TREM [VES-TRVM, DEVM ET DEVM VES-TRVM]. VI[RI G]A[LIL] EI [QVIS S]TA[TIS AS-PI-CIENT] ES IN CELVM. HIC HIESVS QVI ASVMTVS EST A VOBIS : Je monte vers mon Père et votre Père, mon Dieu et votre Dieu. Galilée qui lève les yeux au ciel. C'est Jésus qui vous a été enlevé.

 

Sous le Christ la main de Dieu représentée dans un médaillon. Sur l’arc en plein cintre, un Agnus Dei et deux anges thuriféraires, avec sous cet arc des personnages non identifiables dans des médaillons. Enfin, sur le dernier registre du mur, deux cavaliers sont situés de part et d’autre, le premier complètement effacé dont ne reste que la tête du cheval. A droite, le cavalier Constantin tenant un sceptre et un orbe, et marchant dans la direction du Christ, est le seul des quatre dont l’identité nous soit parvenue. Sur cette partie du mur se superposent le cavalier roman et les dernières scènes du cycle de la vie de saint Jean-Baptiste, datant du XIIIe siècle.

 

Sur le mur Nord, de gauche à droite, se situent une figure profane, un paon sous chaque oculi et sous l’arc en mitre un saint anonyme, avec à droite du mur deux apôtres. Sur le mur Ouest, les peintures sont très endommagées, un paon est tou-jours visible bien que pâle, un vase ocre s'y distingue aussi (vase de vie ou pour utiliser le chrême en vue d'oindre les catéchumènes. Un deuxième paon devait se trouver à côté avec, plus bas, deux autres cavaliers dont l’un est complet, couronné et tenant un sceptre. Le quatrième et dernier cavalier est lui aussi endommagé, seul le haut de son corps étant visible tenant les rênes de son cheval.

 

Sur le mur Sud, deux apôtres, non complets avec sous l’oculus un paon et sous l’arc en mitre, saint Maurice d’Agaune, désigné ici par MAVRICIVS en habit de légionnaire, ses reliques étant conservées dans la cathédrale primitive. Sous le second oculus, un dragon fait face à un homme brandissant une épée, symbole du combat entre le bien et le mal. Entre ces deux figures, une inscription CIL CRIA MARCI ET VRNA : il demanda grâce et s’enfuit (plus vieille inscription connue en langue vernaculaire) (cf. fra.archinform.net).

Kromdraai conservation area near the Cradle of Humankind. Didn't see any Guinea Fowl, but did see some monkeys.

The curator found TVs that fit into each location on my body. Some of them have to be pretty small. (He's holding my eye)

Ring-tailed lemurs live in large family groups in the dry-wood Southern forests of Madagascar. There are around 22 species of lemurs, and this number varies depending on who you ask - classification is hard to pin down for lemurs and some estimates of the number of lemur species are as high as 60. Regardless of the classification, all lemurs are only found in Madagascar. Ring-tailed lemurs live in large groups and are a female-dominated species, which means the girls get first dibs on food and water, and decide where the group travels. Photo: Alana Range

 

Podcast @ www.nyas.org/snc/podcasts.asp

Conserved remains of a village fort founded around 1300. It was a local strongpoint, attacked and demolished in 1408, but renewed, after the owners died out the king took all their possessions. After 1468, when the king lost a decisive battle against Austrians supported by Hungarians, the fort was one of many which had to be given to supporters of the Hungarian king, after 1505 it lost its residential function and was abandoned. It was a round buliding surrounded by two 8 m deep and 12 m wide moats, a multilevel residential tower was put into the round wall, a second defensive tower stood inside the walls (the base is still well visible).

Now that all my TVs are installed, it's time for my photoshoot!

There is a shrine for St. Mary, the peacemaker in the sanctuary of Santa Maria de la Paz Catholic Church. Apparently, she is so popular that they have posted a sigh, both in English and Español, asking people to limit the candles they light to 2 per week so that others have a candle for their intentions.

 

Drought of the Archives: New Yorkers have historically come together to conserve during water shortages. In late 1949, a dramatic lack of rain lowered reservoir levels to only 33% capacity and Mayor O’Dwyer issued a public appeal to conserve water and avoid a crisis. Media covered the issue extensively, and the City distributed posters and stickers to raise awareness. Although some restrictive measures were implemented, like prohibiting car washing, the campaign focused on voluntary actions. NYC’s first ever “water holiday” took place December 16, 1949, when people were asked to reduce water use as much as possible, including asking men not to shave. The press exhorted the public to take notice:

“This is the day when, if you are a good citizen, you will stay away from the faucet…Perhaps the awesome spectacle of a city of bearded men will of itself frighten us into the conservation needed if we are to avoid more serious measures.”

Following the “holiday’s” success, Dry Thursdays occurred for nine months until no longer necessary.

Everyone seemed to pitch in – a society luncheon at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel was served entirely on paper products, while the ASPCA shut off water troughs for working horses, declaring that “A pail a day keeps its thirst away.” Restaurants stopped serving water with meals and hotels placed signs in rooms requesting guests’ cooperation. The City inspected industrial plants and worked with businesses to develop processes requiring less water, for example by asking the milk industry to use cartons instead of glass bottles. And permanent new regulations were implemented for industrial-size refrigeration and air conditioning units.

Due to the tremendous public campaign, consumers saved about 75 billion gallons of water over nine months and developed beneficial long-term habits and practices.

1949 Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity poster.

(Image ID: p042765)

The local communities in and around forests are the real stakeholders and are best equipped to protect the forests and its wildlife and their involvement is extremely crucial. The villagers of the Kharman and Kyalegteng in Arunachal Pradesh are a testimony to this fact. In 2011, these villagers, inspired by the idea of Community Conserved Area approached the Tata Trusts and WWF – India for technical and financial support in demarcating 85 sq. km. of Unclassed State Forest land as the Pangchen Lakhar Community Conserved Area (PLACCA). The PLACCA comprises Panchayat members, village elders and youth who work for the conservation and management of their verdant forests, thereby securing the habitats of endangered red pandas, musk deer, serow, goral, Himalayan black bears, Siberian weasels, leopards and wild dogs. PLACCAMC has been encouraging the villagers to revive their dependency on agriculture and put into practice some of the pilot mitigation techniques to combat human-wildlife conflicts. For PLACCAMC’s foresight and unified efforts in conservation, the team was awarded The Balipara Foundation Nature Conservancy Award.

A conserved 14th Century castle over a town of the same name, originally one of the local guard castles, standing perfectly in one line. It served for many centuries and was maintained, but after it was besieged by imperial armies in 1621, and burned down by Polish cossacks in 1624, it was ruined and partially collapsed in 1783, none of the palaces survived. Insensitive reconstruction into a tourist place began in 1899, which incorporated new buildings into the walls and destroyed many remaining parts. The most significant part is the main tower, 40 meters high, today a lookout.

© Gunther Deichmann www.deichmann-photo.com/

Save our Environment, conserve water,

Global warming and the world wide water crisis

the windows on the ceiling of Russel Union allow Natural light to shine through which saves on energy cost and amount used.

1 2 ••• 32 33 35 37 38 ••• 79 80