View allAll Photos Tagged conserver
Clarke Quay is a unique, conserved historical landmark located along the Singapore River.
This photograph was taken at dusk, with remaining colours in the cloud formations. The open spaces of the Clarke Quay complex, with rows of conserved buildings, were covered by structures above the roof level. There were bridges that link the Riverside Point to Clarke Quay.
Many “umbrellas” were provided along the river bank to offer shade or rain cover to diners and visitors. Water taxis plied along the River to provide a convenient way for visitors to appreciate the old and new landmarks. This photograph captured the light trails of one of the water taxis approaching the illuminated bridge.
Selva de Irati, Navarra, España.
El bosque o la selva de Irati (Iratiko oihana en euskera) es un bosque repartido entre el norte de Navarra (España) y los Pirineos Atlánticos (Sola y Baja Navarra) en el suroeste de Francia.
Por su parte española está situada en el valle del río Irati, entre los montes de Orzanzurieta y Roncesvalles al oeste, y el monte Orhi al este. El límite sur lo pone la imponente mole de la Sierra de Abodi. Los principales accesos son por el oeste por Orbaiceta (Valle de Aézcoa) y por el este por Ochagavía (Valle de Salazar).
Se trata de la mayor masa forestal de Navarra y uno de los mayores y mejor conservados bosques de hayas (Fagus sylvatica) y abetos (Abies alba) de toda Europa. A pesar de ser un bosque explotado forestalmente desde los siglos XVI-XVII, el respeto y el buen hacer de los habitantes de estos valles ha hecho que se conserve en total plenitud. Existen dentro de la zona diversos espacios protegidos: todo el Irati es una ZEPA (Zona de Especial Protección de Aves), así como zonas protegidas como Reserva Natural o Reserva Integral del total de 17.000 ha del bosque.
The Irati forest or jungle (Iratiko oihana in Basque) is a forest distributed between the north of Navarra (Spain) and the Atlantic Pyrenees (Sola and Lower Navarra) in southwestern France.
For its Spanish part, it is located in the valley of the Irati river, between the Orzanzurieta and Roncesvalles mountains to the west, and the Orhi mountain to the east. The southern limit is set by the imposing mass of the Sierra de Abodi. The main accesses are to the west through Orbaiceta (Valle de Aézcoa) and to the east through Ochagavía (Valle de Salazar).
It is the largest forest mass in Navarra and one of the largest and best preserved beech (Fagus sylvatica) and fir (Abies alba) forests in all of Europe. Despite being a forest exploited by forestry since the 16th-17th centuries, the respect and good work of the inhabitants of these valleys has made it fully preserved. There are several protected areas within the area: the entire Irati is a ZEPA (Special Bird Protection Area), as well as protected areas such as Natural Reserve or Integral Reserve of the total 17,000 ha of forest.
A female Anna's Hummingbird sipping nectar from our Cardinal Flowers. She was using the bottom flower to perch and would use her wings to balance herself.
Clarke Quay is a unique, conserved historical landmark located along the Singapore River. This photograph with reflections in the River was taken during blue hour. The open spaces of the Clarke Quay complex, with rows of conserved buildings, are covered by structures above the roof level. The Riverside Point, seen on the left, is linked to Clarke Quay by two bridges.
C'est la première cave d'Afrique du Nord à obtenir la classification en « Château » et à être protégée par l'AOC Coteaux de l'Atlas, avec la mention « premier cru ».
La réalisation du domaine a duré trois ans et a demandé près de 10 millions d'euros d'investissement. Elle utilise la structure initiale, mise en place par les français au temps du protectorat. Les celliers de Meknès l'ont modernisé. Les caves historiques datant du protectorat ont été conservées et portent toujours les noms de leurs constructeurs. Elles servent aujourd'hui au stockage des vins.
Seule demeure médiévale d’importance conservée à Paris avec l’hôtel de Cluny, l’hôtel de Sens s’élève sur l’emplacement de l’hôtel d’Estomesnil qui avait été donné par Charles V à Guillaume de Melun, archevêque de Sens, dont Paris n’était alors qu’un évêché. Il fallait aux archevêques de Sens, appelés plusieurs fois par an à Paris, une résidence digne de leur rang. A partir de 1475, Tristan de Salazar, neuvième archevêque de Sens, agrandit l’hôtel et fit entreprendre des travaux qui durèrent jusqu’en 1507. La nouvelle construction alliait aux caractères spécifiques de l’architecture civile médiévale les premières manifestations de la Renaissance.
C’est dans cet hôtel qu’eut lieu en février 1528 « le concile de Sens », présidé par le cardinal Duprat, chancelier de François Ier, qui condamna Luther et les thèses réformées. C’est également dans cet hôtel que Marguerite de Valois, « la Reine Margot », première épouse d’Henri IV, fut hébergée à son retour d’exil en Auvergne en 1605. Il y recevait régulièrement son amant, Gabriel Dat de Julien qui fut tué d’un coup de pistolet devant la porte de l’hôtel. L’hôtel sera décapité à l’endroit où le crime fut commis. Bien que la demeure resta propriété du diocèse de Sens jusqu’à la Révolution, elle fut louée dès 1622, date à laquelle Paris fut élevée au rang d’archevêché. Témoin des désastres qu’occasionna la Révolution, le décor sculpté fut gratté trois mois durant par des révolutionnaires.
Malgré une première restauration durant le règne de Louis Philippe, l’hôtel retombe en déchéance et subit à nouveau de nombreuses mutilations, ici encore dues à une occupation industrielle : après une blanchisserie, une fabrique de conserves, ou un aubergiste c’est la confiturerie Saint James s’y établie un moment. La Ville de Paris acheta l’hôtel en 1911. Les travaux de restauration s’étalèrent de 1936 à 1962, date à laquelle la Bibliothèque Forney, spécialisée dans les arts décoratifs, y élu domicile. L’hôtel a conservé son ancienne disposition avec une porte à Tourelles s’ouvrant sur une cour irrégulière autour de laquelle sont élevés divers bâtiments. Il subsiste quelques vestiges de la chapelle abattue au XIXe siècle. Un boulet de canon est toujours enchâssé dans la façade du bâtiment côté rue. Il fut tiré à l’occasion des « 3 glorieuses », journées révolutionnaires de juillet 1830.
A stream in the Alps Azumino Park in Oomachi. The stream is a branch of the Chigawa (乳川) river that forms an alluvial fan called Shinmei-hara (神明原) at the foot of Kita Alps. The park conserves the environment of Shinmei-hara while providing opportunities for recreational activities.
L'église de Saint-Joachim (1779), une des plus anciennes églises conservées du Québec - Canada
L'église de Saint-Joachim, classée en 1959, est un lieu de culte catholique érigé entre 1771 et 1779 et doté d'une nouvelle façade en 1895. L'édifice en pierre présente un plan en croix latine composé d'une nef à un vaisseau, d'un transept et d'un choeur en saillie terminé par une abside en hémicycle. Il est coiffé d'un toit à deux versants retroussés doté de croupes au transept. La façade, d'une architecture éclectique, comprend une tour demi-hors-oeuvre de plan carré surmontée d'un clocher. Un clocheton coiffe le faîte du toit de l'abside. Une sacristie en pierre comportant une chapelle terminée par une abside à pans coupés est greffée à l'abside de l'église par un corps de bâtiment plus bas. Construite sur un terrain au relief peu accusé, l'église domine un ensemble paroissial formé également du presbytère, du cimetière incluant un calvaire et d'un monument du Sacré-Coeur. Elle est implantée en bordure de la voie publique, dans le noyau villageois de la municipalité de Saint-Joachim. Elle bénéficie d'une aire de protection. Un site inscrit à l'Inventaire des sites archéologiques du Québec est associé au lieu.
La valeur patrimoniale de l'église de Saint-Joachim repose sur l'intérêt de son décor intérieur. Ce décor, conçu par François Baillairgé (1759-1830) et son fils Thomas (1791-1859), est exécuté entre 1816 et 1829. Guidés par les principes de l'abbé Jérôme Demers (1774-1853), les deux architectes réalisent une oeuvre rompant en de nombreux points avec la tradition et qui constitue un des premiers intérieurs d'église d'inspiration néoclassique formant un tout. L'unité est créée par le traitement uniforme des différentes parties, en conservant notamment la même échelle pour l'ensemble du bâtiment. Bien que décoratifs, les bases, les pilastres, l'entablement et les arcs doubleaux sont disposés logiquement, selon la fonction structurale qu'ils évoquent. Les bas-reliefs qui ornent des endroits privilégiés entre autres du choeur et de la voûte ainsi que le contraste entre les surfaces peintes en blanc et les dorures font la richesse de ce décor. Le retable rompt également avec la tradition. Précédemment, les retables étaient appliqués sur une cloison entre le choeur et la sacristie, n'occupant que le fond du choeur. Celui de Saint-Joachim s'étend plutôt à l'ensemble du sanctuaire en hémicycle. Le maître-autel n'est plus couronné par un baldaquin, élément issu de l'architecture baroque, mais est plutôt encadré par un groupe de colonnes triomphales surmontées d'une gloire. Des statues en ronde bosse, grandeur nature, font partie intégrante du retable. L'intérieur de l'église de Saint-Joachim constitue une oeuvre majeure de François et Thomas Baillairgé et marque de plus le passage des intérieurs sculptés à une véritable architecture intérieure.
This was one of our first dustings of snow of the year in the Pigeon River country of northern Michigan. We had taken a walk near our home at the Agnus Andreae Nature Preserve about 5 miles west of Indian River, Michigan, and this was one of the overlooks. The Pigeon River is a twisty, meandering river in some wild country.
I have given the photograph a soft, dreamy look which is my favorite conversion when I feel it proper.
The Pigeon River is located in the north-central part of the southern peninsula of Michigan. Its headwaters are located a few miles northeast of Gaylord. The river then flows in a northerly direction to its mouth at Mullet Lake, a distance of 42 miles.
Conserve your resources
Don't desert your friends
Wait for your time to bloom
Stay sharp! :-)
Ilan Shamir, "Advice from a Cactus"
HGGT! Integrity Matters!
opuntia, spineless prickly pear, Ellisiana', j c raulston arboretum, ncsu, raleigh, north carolina
Often forages actively, walking or running in shallow water, also standing still and waiting for prey to approach.
Phare de La Martre
La Martre (Haute-Gaspésie), Québec
Le phare de La Martrel, avec sa structure octogonale en bois aux côtés inclinés, a été construit en 1906. Il a conservé son système d’horlogerie d’origine (câble et poids) qui permet la rotation du module d’éclairage.
=======================================
La Martre Lighthouse
La Martre ((Upper Gaspe), Québec
The La Martre lighthouse, with its octagonal wooden structure with sloping sides, was built in 1906. It has retained its original clockwork system (cable and weight) which allows the rotation of the lighting module.
=======================================
© Guylaine Bégin. L'utilisation sans ma permission est illégale. /
Use without permission is illegal.
=======================================
*Working Towards a Better World
Please remember to conserve water we have a global problem and in order to solve it we must use water wisely and find ways to share it with those who have little or none.
Thank you for your kind visit. Have a wonderful and beautiful day! xo❤️
Bedgebury National Pinetum at Bedgebury, Kent, in the United Kingdom, is a recreational and conservational arboretum and, with the National Arboretum at Westonbirt, comprises the UK National Arboreta. It was established as the National Conifer Collection in 1925 and is now recognised as the most complete collection of conifers on one site anywhere in the world. The collection has over 10,000 trees growing across 320 acres (1.3 km2), including rare, endangered and historically important specimens. Bedgebury National Pinetum conducts conservation work and is home to some 56 vulnerable or critically endangered species and houses five NCCPG National Plant Collections.
Bedgebury is first mentioned in an Anglo-Saxon charter in AD 841, the name deriving from the Old English bycgan, meaning "buy", and the Kentish vecge, meaning "to bend or turn", possibly in reference to a stream.
John de Bedgebury is listed as the earliest resident of Bedgebury, in the time of Edward II. In the 15th century Agnes de Bedgebury, sister and heir of John (died 1424) married John Colepeper, whose Colepeper heirs, financed by mining clay-ironstone on the estate, were resident until at the time of the restoration of Charles II, and who created an ornamental park on the Bedgebury estate. Elizabeth I visited in August 1573.
The current house was built in 1688 for Sir James Hayes, a little apart from the old house. The estate later passed to the Stephenson family, who retained it until it was left to a Miss Peach, who sold it in 1789 to John Cartier, Governor of Bengal and High Sheriff of Kent, who improved the plantings and the house.
In the 1840s Viscount William Beresford developed the estate by creating the village of Kilndown and three lodges, one of which – Keepers Lodge, now known as Park House – became the centre of the Pinetum. Beresford initiated the pinetum in the 1850s and his successor, his stepson Alexander Beresford Hope, developed Lady Mildred's Drive to enable visitors in carriages to view the trees. The estate was sold in 1899 to Isaac Lewis, who allowed the collection to fall into neglect, and it was purchased by the Crown Estate in 1918 for its marshy land and drier ridges, as well as its streams, lakes and valleys. In 1919, the house was bought by the Church Education Corporation to operate as a school. The school closed in 2006.
The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew and the Forestry Commission established the site as The National Pinetum in a joint venture in 1924, as the National Conifer Collection, because air pollution was rendering London unsuitable for growing conifers. A site at the southern end of Bedgebury Park was chosen, centred on Marshall's Lake and a stream-filled valley.
The first plants for the pinetum were raised at Kew Gardens in 1921 and transferred to Bedgebury in 1925 and 1926, alongside Viscount Beresford's existing plantings. Development of the collection was managed by the Kew botanist William Dallimore, a world-renowned expert on conifers.
In 1969 management of the pinetum reverted solely to the Forestry Commission, who extended it in 1977 and created two new lakes. In the Great Storm of 1987 almost a quarter of the trees were brought down. The aim of Bedgebury National Pinetum is "to grow as many species of conifers as the climatic conditions will allow, planted in generic groupings, using geographically associated plantings where possible." (W. Dallimore, 1923)
The pinetum holds 10,000 specimens of conifers and other species that grow in temperate zones, including 7,000 trees, as living gene banks and as a genetic resource for future restoration programmes. It holds 2,300 different species of conifer, specimens of which include the tallest tree in Kent (Abies grandis) and the three tallest Leyland Cypresses in the UK. The plan is for the pinetum to provide a mix of 70% conifers to 30% broadleaves, and to leave 40% of the site open to provide vistas and allow the trees to be appreciated.
Bedgebury National Pinetum is home to six NCCPG National Plant Collections: Yew, Juniper, Thuja, Lawson's Cypress, Leyland Cypress and Cryptomeria japonica. The collection contains 56 species that have been officially declared vulnerable or critically endangered. The scale and quality of Bedgebury National Pinetum's conifer collection have made it an ideal site to take part in the International Conifer Conservation Programme (ICCP), run by the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. The ICCP aims to promote the conservation of conifers through conservation work, research and education, and work carried out at Bedgebury makes up part of the effort to conserve the genetic diversity of conifers, particularly those from temperate forests.
The Bedgebury Conifer Conservation Project, initiated in 2007, is designed to use redundant forest plots to grow large numbers – up to 500 – of endangered conifers to provide an ex-situ genetic resource. The first plots were planted with Chilean plum yew by Boy Scouts celebrating their centenary in 2007, and future plantings will include samples from Europe, Asia, North America and Australasia.
Bedgebury nursery was the first to germinate Vietnamese golden cypress (Xanthocyparis vietnamensis) and chichibu birch (Betula chichibuensis) seeds in cultivation.
For further information please visit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedgebury_National_Pinetum and www.forestryengland.uk/bedgebury
Meuse
Lorraine
Grand Est
Photo prise le 30/09/2021
Un grand merci à Antoine ASARO qui a amélioré le traitement de la photo initiale, notamment l'éclaircissement du premier plan et de l'ombre dans la prairie 🙏
L’église Notre-Dame de Bonne-Garde se dresse fièrement depuis 1346 sur un promontoire naturel qui domine la vallée de la Meuse.
L’édifice, représentatif du gothique flamboyant et remarquable de par son importance, a fait continuellement l’objet d’agréments visant à l’embellir. C’est notamment au XVIIe siècle qu’est réalisé un magnifique buffet d’orgue, puis au XVIIIe siècle, l’édifice sera agrémenté d’un retable majestueux situé dans la chapelles des Morts et représentant, entre autres, la Vierge à l’Enfant. Plus récemment, en 2001, c’est au tour du fameux sculpteur Ipoustéguy (1920-2006), natif de la commune, d’agrémenter le mobilier liturgique avec sa « Mort de l'évêque John Neumann ».
De par sa position sur la route entre Verdun et Sedan, le village de Dun-sur-Meuse fit l’objet de nombreuses destructions pendant la Première Guerre mondiale. Les voûtes, les vitraux et le clocher de l’église ayant été particulièrement touchées, il fut un temps envisagé de détruire l’édifice. Mais l’église fut conservée et veille fièrement sur les hauteurs de Dun-sur-Meuse pour le plus grand plaisir des Dunois !
Cabo de Gata is a Spanish town and neighborhood in the province of Almería in the autonomous community of Andalusia belonging to the municipality of Almería. Its population in 2014 was 1583 inhabitants.
Juan Goytisolo, described his architecture: "the houses are rectangular, white, they almost resemble forts." Of that architecture of the fields of Níjar practically nothing is conserved, being some isolated house with these characteristics. The main monuments are:
San Miguel Tower
Church of Cabo de Gata. The church was built in the nineteenth century, around 1855. It lacks a cover and its facade is crowned by a bell tower with three arches with bells. The interior is a rectangular nave with diaphragm arches and stone pillars, the chapel of the Virgen del Mar being located in the background. It is surrounded by an exterior courtyard where mass is celebrated in summer.
Uncle Frasquito's Mill. It is an old windmill located in the urban core at a small elevation. It has lost the blades and there is only the cube that has been enabled as housing.
Despite having several elements of ethnological interest, these are not valued or signaled. A ferris wheel and several wells stand out. The Association of Neighbors Las Sirenas called for the value of them as a tourist resource.
Cabo de Gata es una localidad y barriada española de la provincia de Almería en la comunidad autónoma de Andalucía perteneciente al municipio de Almería. Su población en 2014 fue de 1583 habitantes .
Juan Goytisolo, describió su arquitectura:"las casas son rectangulares,blancas,se asemejan casi fortines". De esa arquitectura de los campos de Níjar ya no se conserva prácticamente nada, quedando alguna vivienda aisladas con dichas características. Los principales monumentos son:
Torreón de San Miguel
Iglesia de Cabo de Gata. La iglesia fuer construida en el siglo XIX, alrededor de 1855. Carece de portada y su fachada está coronada por una espadaña de tres arcos con campanas. El interior es una nave rectangular con arcos de diafragma y pilares de cantería, situándose al fondo la capilla de la Virgen del Mar. Está rodeada por un patio exterior donde se celebra misa en época estival.
Molino del Tío Frasquito. Es un antiguo molino de viento situado en el núcleo urbano en una pequeña elevación. Ha perdido las aspas y solamente queda el cubo que ha sido habilitado como vivienda.
A pesar de tener varios elementos de interés etnológico, estos no se encuentran puestos en valor ni señalizados. Destacan una noria y varios pozos. La Asociación de Vecinos Las Sirenas pidió la puesta en valor de los mismos como recurso turístico. ( Fuente: Wikipedia)
Jeungsimsa Temple, the representative Buddhist temple in the Gwangju region, is located on the western foot of Mudeungsan Mountain.
The temple was founded by Master Cheolgam in 860 (the 4th year of the reign of King Heonin of the Silla Dynasty) and reconstructed by the National Preceptor Hyeso in 1094 under the reign of King Seonjong of the Goryeo Dynasty. When it was rebuilt by Kim Bang in 1443 under the rule of King Sejong of the Joseon Dynasty, 500 arhat images were created.
The temple burned down during the Second Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1597 but rebuilt during the reign of Prince Gwanghae. The stronghold of the Korean movement of the Linji School (part of Zen Buddhism) opposing Japanese Buddhism during the Japanese Occupation was none other than Jeungsimsa Temple.
Most buildings were again burned during the Korean War in the 1950s but, through active restoration projects after the 1970s, Jijangjeon Hall and Birojeonjeokmukdang Hall were newly built.
Fortunately, the Joseon Dynasty-era Obaekjeon Hall survived. Despite its original form being lost during the Korean War, Jeungsimsa Temple is emblamatic of all temples in the Gwangju region due to its pivotal position in Korean history and its location near scenic Mudeungsan Mountain.
On the temple ground, Obaekjeon Hall, the Three-story Stone Pagoda, Five-story Stone Pagoda, Seven-story Stone Pagoda, Five-hundred Arhats, Iron Seated Vairocana Buddha (Treasure No. 131), and Stone Standing Bodhisattvas have been conserved.
Thank you.
source: tour.gwangju.go.kr/eng/tour/info/history/001.cs?m=17
Nov 18, 2016 - Taipei - Taiwan
Near to tourist shopping district Ximending, this is one area with old charm conserved buildings and has many camera shops, I was looking for a camera bag.
Seule demeure médiévale d’importance conservée à Paris avec l’hôtel de Cluny, l’hôtel de Sens s’élève sur l’emplacement de l’hôtel d’Estomesnil qui avait été donné par Charles V à Guillaume de Melun, archevêque de Sens, dont Paris n’était alors qu’un évêché. Il fallait aux archevêques de Sens, appelés plusieurs fois par an à Paris, une résidence digne de leur rang. A partir de 1475, Tristan de Salazar, neuvième archevêque de Sens, agrandit l’hôtel et fit entreprendre des travaux qui durèrent jusqu’en 1507. La nouvelle construction alliait aux caractères spécifiques de l’architecture civile médiévale les premières manifestations de la Renaissance.
C’est dans cet hôtel qu’eut lieu en février 1528 « le concile de Sens », présidé par le cardinal Duprat, chancelier de François Ier, qui condamna Luther et les thèses réformées. C’est également dans cet hôtel que Marguerite de Valois, « la Reine Margot », première épouse d’Henri IV, fut hébergée à son retour d’exil en Auvergne en 1605. Il y recevait régulièrement son amant, Gabriel Dat de Julien qui fut tué d’un coup de pistolet devant la porte de l’hôtel. L’hôtel sera décapité à l’endroit où le crime fut commis. Bien que la demeure resta propriété du diocèse de Sens jusqu’à la Révolution, elle fut louée dès 1622, date à laquelle Paris fut élevée au rang d’archevêché. Témoin des désastres qu’occasionna la Révolution, le décor sculpté fut gratté trois mois durant par des révolutionnaires.
Malgré une première restauration durant le règne de Louis Philippe, l’hôtel retombe en déchéance et subit à nouveau de nombreuses mutilations, ici encore dues à une occupation industrielle : après une blanchisserie, une fabrique de conserves, ou un aubergiste c’est la confiturerie Saint James s’y établie un moment. La Ville de Paris acheta l’hôtel en 1911. Les travaux de restauration s’étalèrent de 1936 à 1962, date à laquelle la Bibliothèque Forney, spécialisée dans les arts décoratifs, y élu domicile. L’hôtel a conservé son ancienne disposition avec une porte à Tourelles s’ouvrant sur une cour irrégulière autour de laquelle sont élevés divers bâtiments. Il subsiste quelques vestiges de la chapelle abattue au XIXe siècle. Un boulet de canon est toujours enchâssé dans la façade du bâtiment côté rue. Il fut tiré à l’occasion des « 3 glorieuses », journées révolutionnaires de juillet 1830.
Paysages verdoyants du pourtour de l'île.....
Voyage en Islande du 1 au 15 juillet 2007….
Nous avons gardé un très beau souvenir, en commun avec tous les photographes et amateurs de paysages aux multiples couleurs.
Env 5 fois plus petite que la France c’est avant tout une île (103 000 km²) ,située sur la partie émergée de la dorsale médio-océanique entre l'Europe et l'Amérique. Ainsi, d'un point de vue de la tectonique des plaques, la partie nord-ouest de l'Islande est sur la plaque américaine et la partie sud-est est sur la plaque eurasiatique .De plus, un point chaud se situerait juste en dessous de l'Islande, plus précisément sous le massif du Vatnajökull. Cette situation unique engendre sur l'île une importante activité volcanique et géothermale, située principalement le long de ce fossé tectonique d'effondrement, là où le magma est le plus près de la surface.
-doc à suivre.....
NB. mon appareil photo était un cybershot sony...la capacité mémoire des cartes mémory stick( celle conservée, la moins ancienne était de 256 Mb.....et coutait très cher à l'époque......d'où la nécessité d'enregistrer des formats légers.....) certains clichés ne sont donc pas à la Top qualité ....
We have planted several pincushion proteas, along with other drought tolerant plants, to conserve water in our garden. This one is leucospermum reflexum "So Exquisite" and is also known as the Skyrocket Pincusion.
These amazing plants originated in the Cape region of South Africa and thrive in our Mediterranean climate. The blossoms can last for several months, and bring welcome color on wintry days -- also sunny ones!
Thanks for stopping by!
© Melissa Post 2025
Miss Penelope, one of our female resident Anna's Hummingbirds, sipping nectar from our Cardinal Flowers! She is balancing on a leaf with one foot, and using her wings and other foot to maintain her balance. She is enjoying her nectar snack, and conserving energy as she dines. Photo taken in Camas, Washington.
After the relief of having my backpack with camera gear returned, and a lovely lunch in Rochester, we travelled to Terrick Terrick National Park, in Central Victoria.
The Park conserves the largest, most intact examples of the Natural Grasslands of the Murray Valley Plains and is one of the few places in northern Victoria where the original landscapes and vegetation of the area are largely intact. Twenty - six rare or threatened plant species occur within the grasslands.
The Park requires much more time than we gave it to explore but I was captivated by the impressive carpets of wildflowers. The predominant flowers you can see in this image are Clustered and Common Everlasting Daisies and Chocolate Lily’s.
I sat on the ground to try to get in amongst the wildflowers. It was the right thing to do in terms of capturing the image but not in terms of the tiny spiky little plant thorns that ended up all over the seat of my pants and legs. It was like being stung by tiny ants. It took quite some time to get them out and I am still finding them ;-)