View allAll Photos Tagged architecture
Our first stop was Dublin where we saw Trinity College, the Book of Kells, the Old Library, Merrion Square Park, Oscar Wilde's monument and home, the National Gallery of Ireland, the National Library of Ireland, Saint Stephen's Green Park, Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Christ Church, the Spire, Dublin Castle, where U2 got their big break, and the Temple Bar district. We fit a lot in!
The Toronto Jail was built between 1862 and 1865 with most of the current jail facilities being built in the 1950s, although a jail has stood on the site since 1858. Designed by architect William Thomas (also designed St. Lawrence Hall and St. Michael's Cathedral) in 1852, its distinctive façade in the Italianate style with a pedimented central pavilion and vermiculated columns flanking the main entrance portico is one of the architectural treasures of the city and one of very few pre-Confederation (1867) structures that remains intact in Toronto. Owing to its sturdy construction, its interior has gone largely unchanged in the last fifty years as renovations would be both difficult and expensive, even in an empty facility; as such, it is considered badly outdated as a prison facility. The old Jail was closed in 1977.
El Museo de Santa Cruz es un edificio del s. XVI de la ciudad de Toledo. En su origen fue un importante hospital. Su transformación en museo se realizó en el s. XIX.
El hospital fue fundado por el cardenal Mendoza para centralizar la asistencia a niños huérfanos y desamparados de la ciudad. Cuenta con una notable portada plateresca, obra de Alonso de Covarrubias. El edificio tiene planta de cruz griega y cuatro patios, de los que dos se realizaron por completo. El primero es de Covarrubias y da acceso al piso superior a través de una escalera de tres tramos.
Item Title: Mosque of the Emeer Akhoor
Description/Notes: View of the domed mosque & a minaret. Signed & dated in the negative. Mounted on modern card.
Original Collection: Photography from the Scripps College Collection
Item Number: 2008.4.17.tif
Permissions: For more information on copyright or permissions for this image, please contact Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery.
Click here for the original item.
See the Photography from the Scripps College Collection for the original collection.
The Lighthouse in Glasgow is Scotland's Centre for Design and Architecture. It was opened as part of Glasgow's status as UK City of Architecture and Design in 1999.
The Lighthouse is the renamed conversion of the former offices of the Glasgow Herald newspaper. Completed in 1895, it was designed by the architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The centre's vision is to develop the links between design, architecture, and the creative industries, seeing these as interconnected social, educational, economic and cultural issues of concern to everyone.
The Lighthouse Trust went into Administration in August 2009. At its peak the Lighthouse Trust employed around 90 staff. Its Directors moved on: Nick Barley is now Director of the Edinburgh International Book Festival. Following a substantial redundancy programme the remaining staff were transferred to Architecture and Design Scotland (A+DS) and Glasgow City Council (GCC). The Lighthouse building remains in the ownership of Glasgow City Council, which has made financial provision to meet the costs of operating the Centre, re-establishing it as Scotland's National Centre for Architecture and Design.
A Steering Group - made up of representatives of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow School Of Art, Scottish Enterprise, Creative Scotland, and various independent architects and designers - has now implemented a range of permanent and temporary uses within the building including a conference/events programme, catering facilities, temporary and permanent exhibitions, a limited amount of business space, and a design shop (TOJO) on the ground floor. Architecture and Design Scotland (A+DS) now occupy one of five floors of the building and continue to run a range of programmes on that floor. The remaining staff have recently been awarded extended contracts of employment with GCC.
One of the key features of The Lighthouse is the uninterrupted view over Glasgow's cityscape available from the Mackintosh Tower at the north of the building, which is accessible via a helical staircase from the third floor.
There is also another modern viewing platform at the south of the building, on the sixth floor and is only accessible via lift
On a previous visit, I opened an account at the "Bank at Sale" public house which as you can see coincidentally serves Bank's ales.The landlord was very good because he allowed me to make a couple of withdrawals straight away.
West side of the temple looking approximately east. From the temple side of the river.
ARCHITECTS: Board of Church Architects
DEDICATION: September 23, 1945
TOTAL FLOOR AREA: 92,177 sq. ft.
OWNER: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The temple in Idaho Falls was announced on March 3, 1937. The building was designed by the church board of temple architects: Edward O. Anderson, Georgious Y. Cannon, Ramm Hansen, John Fetzer, Hyrum Pope, Lorenzo Snow Young. The exterior of the temple was completed in September 1941 and the interior was expected to be completed the following year. However, with World War II shortages, it delayed the completion of the temple for four more years. In spite of delays, church president George Albert Smith dedicated the Idaho Falls Temple just one month after the war ended, on September 23, 1945. The temple was built on a 7-acre plot, has four ordinance rooms and nine sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of 92,177 square feet.
In March 2015, the temple closed for renovations that were expected to last 18 months. The renovations took nearly two years and following their completion, a public open house was held from April 22 through May 20, 2017. The temple was rededicated by Henry B. Eyring on June 4, 2017. -- Courtesy LDS and Wikipedia
Old Moose Lodge 1010 56th St Kenosha WI, built in the Neo-Classical Revival style in 1926-27. The city purchased the property in 1994 and rehabilitated it. It now Houses the Kenosha County Administration Building.
The impressive 9 arch viaduct at Helmdon. Not quite as impressive as the 22 arch viaduct at Brackley a little to the south, but as that was blown up in 1978, this will have to do! The viaduct here also crossed the former Straford upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway.
Skokloster palace in Håbo, Sweden. Autostich panorama from 12 pics taken with a Sony NEX-5 with a Carl Zeiss 35/2 ZM (Leica M-mount) manual lens using an adapter.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
New York, New York
File Name: DSC_8361
Description & Photographer Notes:
The front entrance of the New York Supreme Court. The tall building behind the courthouse is the Daniel Patrick Moynihan U.S. Courthouse.
D857_719
25/08/2017 : Valencia, Avda Autopista del Saler: Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias (Santiago Calatrava Valls, 1991-2009)
Palacio de las Artes Reina Sofía (2005; desprendimiento y refección total del recubrimiento de trencadís: 2013-15)
A Metro-North train in push mode passes under the Henry Hudson Bridge on its way to Grand Central Terminal.
La cúpula de la Basílica de San Pedro se eleva a una altura total de 136,57 m desde el suelo hasta la parte superior de la cruz externa. Es la cúpula más alta del mundo. Su diámetro interno es de 41,47 m, ligeramente menor que dos de las tres enormes cúpulas que la precedieron: la del Panteón de Agripa, de 43,3 m; y la de la Catedral de Florencia, de 44 m. Los arquitectos de San Pedro se basaron en estas dos cúpulas para buscar la manera de construir la que se concibió como la mayor cúpula de la cristiandad
Camp Ossipee
Holderness, New Hampshire
Listed 04/10/2013
Reference Number: 13000154
It is significant under Criterion A in the area of Entertainment/Recreation for its strong associations with the evolution of Squam as a destination for summer homes. The camp was established by Ellen Balch Huntington, a member of a family with early, long and influential ties to summers at Squam. It later passed to the Quincy Porter family in whose ownership it has been for the last sixty-seven years. The camp is also significant for its association with an early youth camp, Camp Aloha. Camp Ossipee is significant under Criterion C as an excellent example of a turn-of-the-twentieth-century summer camp that is virtually unaltered. The camp is one of the oldest seasonal building types at Squam-a form intended to be of low impact and thus complement the relationship between a built structure and the stunning beauty of the surrounding natural landscape. This primary property type is identified and described in the Multiple Property listing entitled Squam: The Evolution and Preservation of a Lakeside Community. Under both criteria, Camp Ossipee retains an exceptionally high level of integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association.
National Register of Historic Places Homepage