View allAll Photos Tagged temporary
Mulberry Harbours were temporary ''portable harbours'' developed by the British during World War Two to facilitate the rapid offloading of cargo onto beaches during the Allied Invasion of Normandy in June 1944. After the Allies successfully held beachheads following D-Day, two prefabricated harbours were taken in sections across the English Channel with the Invading Army and assembled off Omaha Beach (Mulberry ''A'') and Gold Beach (Mulberry ''B'').
The dock piers were code named ''Whales'' these piers were the floating roadways that connected the ''Spud'' pier heads to the land. Designed by Allan Beckett, the roadways were made from innovative torsionally flexible bridging units that had a span of 80ft, mounted on pontoon units of either steel or concrete called ''Beetles''. After the war many of the 'Whale Bridge Spans' from Arromanches were used to repair bombed bridges in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Such units are still visible as a bridge over the Noireau river in Normandy, Meuse River in Vacherauville (Meuse) as a bridge over the Moselle River on road D56 between Cattenom and Kœnigsmacker (Moselle) and in Vierville-sur-Mer (Calvados) along road D517. In 1954, some 'Whales' were also used to build two bridges (still visible) in Cameroon along the Edea to Kribi road. In the 1960's, three 'Whale Spans' from Arromanches were used at Ford Dagenham to allow cars to be driven from the assembly line directly onto car-carrying ships. A 'Whale Span' from Mulberry B that was reused after the war at Pont-Farcy was saved from destruction in 2008 by Les Amis du Pont Bailey, a group of English and French volunteers. Seeking a permanent home for the 'Whale Span' the group gifted it to the Imperial War Museum and it was returned to England in July 2015.
The only example of the '‘Whale Span'’ floating roadway section in the United Kingdom which was part of an artificial harbour with huge floating road bridges used to rapidly offload cargo and Troops during the critical Normandy Invasion phase of World War Two. For five months following D-Day 6th June 1944, they landed 2,000,000 Troops, 500,000 vehicles and 4,000,000 tonnes of supplies. Thus it was crucial to the success of the Allies in breaking out from the beaches of Normandy and is widely considered to be one of the greatest engineering feature of World War Two. After conservation work the ''Whale Span'' now features as part of the Land Warfare exhibition at the Imperial War Museum Duxford.
Allan Beckett’s innovative Mulberry Harbour ''Whale Span'' has prominent location alongside the Land Warfare building containing a vast array of World War One and Two heritage equipment, including many other large and small relics from the D-Day Landings. The inauguration ceremony was attended by many of the Beckett family and a large number of interested well wishers.
It was designed by Allan Beckett who was a young Officer in the Royal Engineers during World War Two. The project began with Lt-Col WT Everall almost insisting Beckett to design ‘'piers for flat beaches'’. The bridge had to float up and down with the tides which led to a major problem in his designs. However he was inspired by the mechanism of a kite which uses uplift force in order to rise up. He applied the same principal to the ''Whale Span'' surface which would maximise its buoyancy. Therefore he began his work by making a tin-plate model of his proposed floating roadway, consisting of a lozenge-shaped bridge span and part of an adjacent span to show how the junctions could be made using spherical bearings. When Everall returned from the War Office, he was exultant. The prototype bridge spans were tested at Cairn Head in Scotland. Despite his rivalries, only Beckett’s bridge remained intact and fully workable. After the testing, it was not difficult for the Chiefs of Staff to make a choice. The project successfully ended with his outstanding contribution to the Mulberry Operation.
Sources :- en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulberry_harbour
beckettrankine.com/mulberry-harbour-whale-bridge-span/
BBC Film link :- www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-36004806
The Marrabel Roman Catholic was built on land given by one of Marrabel’s first settlers, Mr Garrett Hannan.
There was already a temporary pine and pug Chapel. Tenders were called for in February 1867: by July the foundation stone was laid, and the church opened on 5 July 1868. Wright, Woods & Hamilton were the architects.
*The Very Rev John Smyth, VG, assisted by the Rev Joseph Tappeiner and the pastor of the district, laid on Sunday, 7th instant, the foundation stone of a Catholic Church, under the title of St Agnes the Martyr. Though the constant and heavy rains during the week had rendered the roads in many places almost impassable, and the day itself was unsettled and showery, yet no fewer than about 400 persons came to see laid the first stone of their church.
At 10 o'clock am the Rev Joseph Tappeiner celebrated mass, after which the priests and laity walked in procession from the small and unsightly building hitherto used as a chapel to the site of the new church.
The Vicar-General having laid the foundation stone, according to the Roman Ritual, preached an excellent sermon
The handsome sum of £84 14s 10d was then laid upon the stone. The building will be Gothic: the nave will measure 60 by 25 feet, besides chancel, sacristies, and porch. The plinth, quoins, and buttresses will be cut stone; and as the site is elevated, with a background of fine old gumtrees, the building will greatly contribute to the beauty of the young and rising township of Marrabel. [Ref: Express and Telegraph 11-7-1867]
Catholic Church, Marrabel,—
*The Very Rev John Smyth VG, assisted by the Rev Messrs Polk and Huger SJ, solemnly blessed and opened the Church of St Agnes, at Marrabel on Sunday, the 5th instant.
The very rev gentlemen preached an eloquent sermon on the occasion, and the handsome sum of £170 was received towards the liquidation of the debt, which is only a little over £400. When it is borne in mind that the building cost £1,000 independently of the stones, which were given and carted free of charge, the liberality of the congregation and friends will be more clearly understood. [Ref: Adelaide Observer from the Kapunda Herald 18-7-1868]
*The Rev Chas Van der Heyden – We are requested to inform our readers that this gentleman has removed from Riverton, and is now living in the new presbytery at Marrabel, recently erected by the Catholics of the district. [Ref: Irish Harp and Farmers’ Herald 12-3-1870]
*S. Agnes, Marrabel — A bazaar in aid of the church and new presbytery at Marrabel was held in S. Joseph's schoolroom on Wednesday, the 15th instant and following days. There was a large, effective and artistic display of useful and ornamental articles…praise is due to the ladies of the community for their enthusiastic zeal and persevering endeavours to make the Bazaar a success. [Ref: Irish Harp and Farmers’ Herald 25-3-1871]
*Presentations to Rev Michael Kennedy of Marrabel.
On Friday evening, April 30, many of the parishioners of the Mission of Marrabel met at Tothill's Creek to present an address and a purse of sovereigns to the Rev Michael Kennedy, in acknowledgment of the many services which had been done them by the rev gentleman during his long sojourn among them.
The residents of the parish of Marrabel, thought it our duty to assemble here this evening for the purpose of tendering our thanks for the able and cheerful manner in which you have for the last five years forwarded our interests … especially for the great efforts which you made to liquidate the debt which had been incurred some years ago for the purpose of building our church and parochial residence at Marrabel.
Independent of the outlay of £120 on the interior of the church, and some smaller sums spent in various other improvements, he had collected towards the debt on the church and presbytery £631 in the space of five years. [Ref: South Australian Advertiser 17-5-1877]
*The annual picnic in connection the with St Agnes Church, Marrabel, was held on Easter Monday. There was good attendance, notwithstanding that the weather was cold and wet.
In the evening the Rev W O’Dowling delivered an interesting lecture on the life of Dan O’Connell. The lecture was followed by a ball, which wound up a very enjoyable day. [Ref: Kapunda Herald 20-4-1900]
*The tender of Mr S H Roberts, of Saddleworth, has been accepted for building a sanctuary and vestry at St Agnes Church, Marrabel.
The price of the tender was £563. [Ref: Kapunda Herald 18-9-1914]
*Mr O Colmer of Riverton has obtained the contract for extensive repairs to the Catholic Church at Marrabel, including the putting in of a new ceiling. It is anticipated that he will start during this week. [Ref: Kapunda Herald 7-8-1936]
The Marrabel Roman Catholic was built on land given by one of Marrabel’s first settlers, Mr Garrett Hannan.
There was already a temporary pine and pug Chapel. Tenders were called for in February 1867: by July the foundation stone was laid, and the church opened on 5 July 1868. Wright, Woods & Hamilton were the architects.
*The Very Rev John Smyth, VG, assisted by the Rev Joseph Tappeiner and the pastor of the district, laid on Sunday, 7th instant, the foundation stone of a Catholic Church, under the title of St Agnes the Martyr. Though the constant and heavy rains during the week had rendered the roads in many places almost impassable, and the day itself was unsettled and showery, yet no fewer than about 400 persons came to see laid the first stone of their church.
At 10 o'clock am the Rev Joseph Tappeiner celebrated mass, after which the priests and laity walked in procession from the small and unsightly building hitherto used as a chapel to the site of the new church.
The Vicar-General having laid the foundation stone, according to the Roman Ritual, preached an excellent sermon
The handsome sum of £84 14s 10d was then laid upon the stone. The building will be Gothic: the nave will measure 60 by 25 feet, besides chancel, sacristies, and porch. The plinth, quoins, and buttresses will be cut stone; and as the site is elevated, with a background of fine old gumtrees, the building will greatly contribute to the beauty of the young and rising township of Marrabel. [Ref: Express and Telegraph 11-7-1867]
Catholic Church, Marrabel,—
*The Very Rev John Smyth VG, assisted by the Rev Messrs Polk and Huger SJ, solemnly blessed and opened the Church of St Agnes, at Marrabel on Sunday, the 5th instant.
The very rev gentlemen preached an eloquent sermon on the occasion, and the handsome sum of £170 was received towards the liquidation of the debt, which is only a little over £400. When it is borne in mind that the building cost £1,000 independently of the stones, which were given and carted free of charge, the liberality of the congregation and friends will be more clearly understood. [Ref: Adelaide Observer from the Kapunda Herald 18-7-1868]
*The Rev Chas Van der Heyden – We are requested to inform our readers that this gentleman has removed from Riverton, and is now living in the new presbytery at Marrabel, recently erected by the Catholics of the district. [Ref: Irish Harp and Farmers’ Herald 12-3-1870]
*S. Agnes, Marrabel — A bazaar in aid of the church and new presbytery at Marrabel was held in S. Joseph's schoolroom on Wednesday, the 15th instant and following days. There was a large, effective and artistic display of useful and ornamental articles…praise is due to the ladies of the community for their enthusiastic zeal and persevering endeavours to make the Bazaar a success. [Ref: Irish Harp and Farmers’ Herald 25-3-1871]
*Presentations to Rev Michael Kennedy of Marrabel.
On Friday evening, April 30, many of the parishioners of the Mission of Marrabel met at Tothill's Creek to present an address and a purse of sovereigns to the Rev Michael Kennedy, in acknowledgment of the many services which had been done them by the rev gentleman during his long sojourn among them.
The residents of the parish of Marrabel, thought it our duty to assemble here this evening for the purpose of tendering our thanks for the able and cheerful manner in which you have for the last five years forwarded our interests … especially for the great efforts which you made to liquidate the debt which had been incurred some years ago for the purpose of building our church and parochial residence at Marrabel.
Independent of the outlay of £120 on the interior of the church, and some smaller sums spent in various other improvements, he had collected towards the debt on the church and presbytery £631 in the space of five years. [Ref: South Australian Advertiser 17-5-1877]
*The annual picnic in connection the with St Agnes Church, Marrabel, was held on Easter Monday. There was good attendance, notwithstanding that the weather was cold and wet.
In the evening the Rev W O’Dowling delivered an interesting lecture on the life of Dan O’Connell. The lecture was followed by a ball, which wound up a very enjoyable day. [Ref: Kapunda Herald 20-4-1900]
*The tender of Mr S H Roberts, of Saddleworth, has been accepted for building a sanctuary and vestry at St Agnes Church, Marrabel.
The price of the tender was £563. [Ref: Kapunda Herald 18-9-1914]
*Mr O Colmer of Riverton has obtained the contract for extensive repairs to the Catholic Church at Marrabel, including the putting in of a new ceiling. It is anticipated that he will start during this week. [Ref: Kapunda Herald 7-8-1936]
Florin Moraru, beckmarc and 2 more people faved this
We are proud to offer both in Stock Crystal Tattoos and Custom Sticker Tattoos design pieces, all made to the highest standards. Buzz Tattoos offers a variety of conventional and modern designs at really highly competitive prices. Each item we make is designed and produced by skilled craftsmen. We invite you to explore our site; you will find that it is our craftsmanship, materials, and quality that set us apart. They make a great set worn all together but you can easily use each piece alone to mix with any other outfit and make them more precious and stylish. They can be perfect complement to any another outfit but they can also look great as contemporary jewelry.
Sticker Body Tattoos (Crystal Tattoos, Belly Tattoos, Lower Back Tattoos, Glitter Tattoos, Crystal Pasties & various kind of Sticker Temporary Tattoos) come in different colored plastic stones and are available in all sorts of swirly patterns, flowers, tribal, butterflies, celtic and stars. They're easy to use too - with peel off backs and self-adhesives that sticks to your skin without any problem & the glue used on our Temporary Tattoos is skin friendly & lab tested. We can also provide Customized & OEM Packaging as per the need of client which makes it easier for our client to sell & promote.
We are the Manufacturer & Supplier of Sticker Tattoos, Personalized Temporary Tattoos, Crystal Tattoos, Glitter Tattoos, Belly Tattoos, Crystal Armbands, Fake Tattoos, Sticker Tattoo Manufacturer (Sticker Body Tattoos Supplier, Jewel Tattoo Makers) with a difference.
Our clients are from all over the world, from USA, Sweden, New Zealand, Russia, Italy, Canada, France, Australia, Germany, Japan, Latvia, Austria, Spain, UK, Romania & various other countries of Europe & all over the world.
We can also provide you Personalized Sticker Tattoos, Custom Crystal Tattoos, Custom Made Crystal Tattoo Jewels as per your own requirements. We will work with you, one on one, to design and create your dream personalized stick on crystal tattoo.
Visit us on temporarytattoos.in
For more information call us on 098108 53306 or email us – info@temporarytattoos.in
The arcade giant swing takes riders from a vertical to a horizontal plane at high speeds. The reaction of the riders lets you know that this might be fun for a few and not for others. The theme of the ride is meant to capture an Egyptian Nile boat. The flowing flags in the background and some of the people's reaction show a moment of temporary elation. Miami, Fl
7 Days of Shooting/Week #1/Messy Moments/Black and White Wednesday
When my kitchen was renovated three years ago, its contents had to be moved into the living room, which then resembled a cluttered second hand shop.
This Steam Fair which is has held every year since 1969, when it was established. The venue is enormous and takes a great deal of energy to walk round the whole site, be warned. There are people carriers ( a tractor and trailer ) that can transport you around the show ground if you don’t feel like walking everywhere. I have covered this event in 2013 / 2014 and again in 2016.. The 2013 visit was a hard work for me after having open heart surgery that year.
Steam engine exhibits, vintage vehicles, heavy shire horses and rural crafts are on dsplay here each year. Working rural displays on a 600-acre site including old time steam funfair. Widely recognised as the leading event of its type in the world with over 2,000 exhibits, 800 trade stalls and over 220 full size steam engines. The show ground is one of Europe's largest outdoor event locations.
For the first 15 years of its existence the steam fair then known as ~ Stourpaine Steam Fair ~ was held at Stourpaine Bushes, then in 1985 it temporarily moved to nearby Everley Hill, following a land dispute. In 1988, after 3 years at Everley Hill, where access by large crowds was difficult, it moved to its current permanent home at Tarrant Hinton, north of Blandford Forum, where access is vastly improved.
A great attraction at the show is the display of traction engines and steam rollers performing the work for which they were designed. Such displays include heavy haulage, threshing, sawing logs, ploughing and road-making. The main arena of the show is purposely sited on the slope of a hill to allow both steam- and internal combustion-powered machinery to demonstrate their capacity for heavy load hauling. One of the main displays is the ~ Showman's Line up, in the vintage fairground section, which is thought to be the largest collection of showman's engines in the world.
Since 2003, the show has contracted its own radio station, Steam Fair FM, broadcasting 24 hours daily from the Saturday prior to the show, to the Monday following – 10 days in all. The station, which is also streamed on the Internet, covers show news and views, weather and other relevant information with plenty of listener dedications and a format of Vintage Hits. During the event, the station is advertised on roads in the surrounding area and provides traffic news for drivers using the A354 Blandford to Salisbury road that passes the show site. The car park is vast and uses the fields of the farmers it’s a novelty riding over mown grass hearing the cut corn crackle beneath the wheels but great for anyone with a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
With 1,000 trade stands, 2,000 exhibitors and their families, together with our campers on the public campsites ( 5,000 caravans and tents ) it is estimated that the population living on site amounts to 25,000 people at any one time. The food sold here is from all over the world and people can sample the delights of culinary delights from sausage rolls to Thai cuisine. The entrance fee is not cheap but offers can be had before the event by pre~booking, I got my tickets for the 2016 event at the Bournemouth Air Show and were on offer for two tickets or more.
An army of workers distribute and collect the 2,500 litter bins on site and 180/200 tonnes of rubbish is taken away each year. Each year there are more than 300 paid staff and volunteers working during the five-day show period.
Each year we have 360,000 promotional brochures printed, 65,000 car window stickers and 50,000 posters. These are printed 10 months before the show and then distributed over the next few months all around the UK and to overseas destinations.
Due to planning regulations, actual site preparations do not begin until only 2 weeks before the event commences and we have just 10 days to clear the site afterwards and put it back to a working farm.
Over 2 miles of water piping is laid and over 3,100,000 litres of water is used during the show each year! 2,100,000 litres are used by the engines alone, along with 1,000,000 litres used for domestic and drinking purposes. 750,000 litres of all the water is brought onto site by tankers with a full time team of 6 workers during the show and for a week before.
Over 10 miles of electric cable are used with over 100 floodlights erected and 200 socket outlets placed. 30 large generators have to be hired each year and just one generator is powerful enough to supply electricity to a small village. Electricity has to be provided to 6 entertainment pavilions, 4 shower blocks and other marquees and to our administration and emergency services centre. they have 3 full time and one part time electricians on site.
Dec 1941
Photo: John Collier, Farm Security Administration
The description says these are workers for the foreign liaison bureau of the office of lend-lease administration working temporarily in a converted Washington, DC apartment building.
Library of Congress
"Usual Blurb" © by Wil Wardle. Please do not use this or any of my images without my permission.
Please click "L" on your keyboard to view on Black.
Please follow me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Wil-Wardle-Photography/13877641613...
First London recently put a batch of new Wright Gemini2-bodied Volvo B9TLs in to service on route 23, as typified hereby VN37959 seen here departing Liverpool Street Station for the run to its home garage of Westbourne Park during the afternoon of Tuesday 8th May.
It turns out these were a temporary measure, as a batch of Enviro400 Hybrids is now being delivered for route 23; indeed the first examples have now entered service. As the Volvos are displaced they will move over to North Acton, ready for when First takes over route 266 (Hammersmith - Brent Cross) from Metroline on 19th May. More Hybrids are due in September to complete the process, with the remaining Volvos moving over to route 295.
SIGNSTAR is a premier designer, fabricator and installer of signage. View our selection of custom signage from past projects.
Contact us at 800-486-0500
For a festivity a historical train is now to drive into the market lane on this new rails. Altstätten, Switzerland, Aug 10, 2007.
Ex-Caledonian Sleeper 10544 sits in the Horse Landing sidings at Crewe. The coach is destined for a road move to a heritage railway to be used as volunteer accommodation once the weather improves.