View allAll Photos Tagged steamengine

The earliest days of this Tidman set of gallopers are beyond human memory and there is a lack of any written evidence for the era. There are many ideas about the origin of the ride, but it is believed it was owned firstly by the Harris family c1895. In c1921 the ride was acquired by Ted Andrews of Kent. It is believed that it did travel during his ownership until sold to William 'Bill' Penfold c1938, also of Kent. War regulations meant the ride was put into storage for a time until the laws were relaxed. The gallopers were sold to a gypsy,turned Showman John King in 1948, and the ride travelled the South Yorkshire area. Bill Bradley, a Preston based professional Showman, purchased the set in early 1952 for £1000. The ride was exchanged in 1956 for Oliver Aveyard's heavy, steel-plated Swirl. During his ownership, the ride was opened at Burnham Beeches pleasure grounds. The pleasure grounds were sold in 1961, together with the Gallopers to John Lovett. In 1963/64 Lovett made several significant changes to the gallopers (details of which can be seen in John Carter's Jubilee Steam Gallopers book available in the sales section of this website). John Carter bought the gallopers from John Lovett after a meeting, however the ride remained in operation until the end of the 1976 season. Once collected, John began major renovation work and the partly finished gallopers were seen in operation at events

during the 1970s. The machine log book reveals an intense and dedicated pursuit of safety and historical perfection. John renamed the ride in 1977 "The Queens Silver Jubilee Steam Gallopers". This name celebrated the Queen's Jubilee year and also marked the return of the ride to steam power after 25 years. When the gallopers reached their centenary year (1995) the machine was extensively redecorated using vast amounts of gold. Much of the artwork on the set was completed by Anna Carter.

 

www.carterssteamfair.co.uk/attractions/gallopers.html

 

- Camera phone upload powered by ShoZu

The Buckinghamshire Railway Centre is a 25 acre working Steam Museum with one of the UK's largest collections of locomotives, rolling stock and railway memorabilia. A re-created country station in the heyday of steam travel, offers steam train rides on certain days.

PS Waverley is named after Sir Walter Scott's first novel. She was built in 1946 to replace a PS Waverley that was built in 1899, served in the Second World War as a minesweeper and was sunk in 1940 while helping to evacuate troops from Dunkirk. Shipbuilders A. & J. Inglis of Glasgow launched the new 693 tonne steamer in October 1946. She entered service with the London and North Eastern Railway in June 1947, working the LNER's Firth of Clyde steamer route from Craigendoran Pier, near Helensburgh, up Loch Long to Arrochar. In her first year in service she wore that company's red, white and black funnel colours.

  

The Waverly with red lions and yellow funnels in 1970

The 1948 nationalisation of Britain's railways brought their Scottish steamers into the Caledonian Steam Packet Company (CSP), a subsidiary of the Railway Executive, and the funnels were repainted yellow with a black top. In 1965 a Scottish red lion rampant was fixed to each side of both funnels. Waverley's hull was painted monastral blue until 1970.

 

After a revival of fortunes in the 1950s, the 1960s saw a gradual change in holiday habits that led to a decline in passenger numbers and the closure of many of the small piers. Since 1969 and the formation of the Scottish Transport Group, the CSP had been gradually merging with the West Highland shipping and ferry company David MacBrayne Ltd. In 1973 the company became Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd (CalMac}

 

CalMac withdrew Waverley after the 1973 season as she was too costly to operate and needed significant expenditure. By then the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society had been set up as a registered UK charity, and had bought the near-derelict small River Dart paddler PS Kingswear Castle. CalMac, keen to ensure that the ship was preserved, sold Waverley to the PSPS for the token sum of one pound. Neither side really believed that the vessel would return to steam but, just in case, Caledonian MacBrayne stipulated that she should not sail in competition with their remaining cruise vessel, TS Queen Mary.

 

A public appeal was launched to secure funding for the return of the Waverley to service and the fund-raising operation was successful. The PSPS found itself running a cruise ship operation, "Waverley Excursions". Since then Waverley has been joined in the PSPS fleet by PS Kingswear Castle and MV Balmoral, and has had a series of extensive refits and much restoration work, including a new boiler and improvements to meet modern safety standards. She has circumnavigated Great Britain and every year makes extensive sailings around the country.

 

Listed as part of the National Historic Fleet,[3] between 2000 and 2003 the ship underwent a substantial rebuild and reboilering at the shipyard of George Prior at Great Yarmouth, funded principally by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The work was done in two stages, has added many 21st century safety and technological improvements and returned the ship to her original 1947 livery.

 

In 2009 the ship was affiliated with HMS Defender,[4] having hosted the official dignitary party at Defender's launch on the River Clyde. And in 2011 the ship was awarded the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 65th Engineering Heritage Award.

 

Sans Pareil steams again. I would like to think that the replica was pushing the 08 shunter but I wonder if the shunter was doing the work? Let's agree that it was 50-50 (hem hem!)

 

Camera: Olympus Pen F Half Frame SLR.

Film: Kodachrome.

A steam train at Beamish Museum in County Durham

FOWLER Steam Ploughing Engine

Stoomlocomotief 65 018 is met een excursietrein onderweg.

 

Steamengine 65 018 is on its way with a excursiontrain.

Antique Tractor/Engine Show at the community Lawn Party.

ybbstalbahn - bergstrecke ötscherlandexpress ( lunz - kienberg-gaming)

Sheffield Steam & Vintage Show

First class saloon built in 1851 it is in unrestored condition

Passenger Steam Locomotive

Title: Engine Room & Switch Board [sic] Texas City Refining Co., Tex City, Tex.

 

Alternative Title: [Engine Room and Switchboard, Texas City Refining Company, Texas City, Texas]

 

Creator: Unknown

 

Date: ca. 1907-1914

 

Part of: George W. Cook Dallas/Texas image collection

 

Series: Series 3: Photographs

Series 3, Subseries 3, Postcards

Series 3, Subseries 3d, RPPC, Texas

 

Place: Texas City, Galveston County, Texas

 

Description: Man standing next to a Harrisburg Foundry and Machine Works Fleming Steam Engine, Texas City Refining Company, Texas City, Texas.

 

Physical Description: 1 photographic print (postcard): gelatin silver; 9 x 14 cm

 

File: a2014_0020_3_3_d_0317_c_texascityengineroom.jpg

 

Rights: Please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University when using this file. A high-resolution version of this file may be obtained for a fee.

 

For more information and to view the image in high resolution, see: digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/gcd/...

Flying Scotsman in steam in the NRM yard

Part of the valve gear of the starboard main engine.

1905 Yorkshire Steam Wagon (CA170) Denby Maiden Engine No 117

These photos are from archive of National Rail Museum were displayed in an exhibition held in Delhi recently

Here's a reminder to all Q fan and miniature train ride nuts! This Grand scale model Burlington Route Hudson 4-6-4 will be running @ the Sandwich State Fair next weekend.

Stuart Beam engine, pre-restoration.

A Stuart S50 I bought on eBay. Before restoration.

Bluebell Railway, 25th October, 2006.

Poetry in motion? When we had our ruby anniversary party at the steam museum we had this one and the cream engine with the huge flywheel working all evening. This beautiful piece of engineering from James Kay in Bury, with twin cylinders and a single flywheel, delivers a mighty 36 horsepower at 36rpm. Taken with my Nikon 1 J5.

1917 Sentinel Standard steam truck & 1905 Yorkshire No 117 Steam truck Owned.by Mr J Ward

Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Holywood, Co. Down

Middleton Railway, Leeds on 25th August 2013

Got the chance to once again photograph the 630 Steam Engine in Action this time outside Keener AL.

Cleaning a fire at Daban.

Stationary boiler and Steam engine. Made in England in the 1950s.

Taken out of storage so the grandkids can see it working, and perhaps marvel over it too!

The boiler has a sight glass, adjustable overpressure relief valve and a miniature working pressure gauge.

1 2 ••• 16 17 19 21 22 ••• 79 80