View allAll Photos Tagged Text
"The Abbey of St Peter and St Paul's at Monkwearmouth-Jarrow.
The double monastery of St Peter and St Pauls was one of the most influential Abbeys in Europe. The height of its fame was in the 7th and 8th century, when the Venerable Bede was a monk here. But the Abbey itself is a little bit older then that, as it was founded in 674. A Northumbrian nobleman called Benedict Biscop who lived from 628 to 690 went on a Pilgrimage to Rome were he was inspired to build a monastery. When Benedict returned home he went to the King of Northumbria King Ecgfrith to ask him for permission to build a monastery and for some land to build it on. The King agreed and Ecgfrith first gave Benedict some land in Wearmouth near present day Sunderland and then some land in Jarrow near present day Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Benedict Biscop decided that he would build a monastery decided to St Peter at Wearmouth and a monastery decided to St Paul in Jarrow. It is believed that between the two monasteries they owned most of the land between the rivers Tyne and Wear.
But now that Benedict Biscop had secured the land and got permission from the King all he had to do now was build two massive monasteries. Benedict sent for help he brought glaziers and stonemasons over from France along with locals they soon started to build the monasteries. They were the first building to be built in Northumbria out of stone since the Romans left Britain in 410. Modern day excavations have shown that the monastery of St Paul's would have had two churches, which were parallel to two larger buildings with a gatehouse on the rivers edge. Back in Anglo-Saxon times it was not odd to have a monastery with two churches as normally one would be used by the monks and the other would be used by the local people. As for the two large buildings excavations have shown that one was a refectory as food waste was found there like fish bones. While the other large building was most likely a communal hall for the monks, this hall even had a large stone seat probably used by the Abbot. And it is possible that each building had an upper floor which may have been used as living quarters. The gatehouse was next to the river and was elaborately decorated with plaster and coloured glass. Some of the metal work and glass was made by the Riverside, and there is evidence for a garden on the south facing end of the monastery. This garden would have been used to grow the food that the monks would have eaten. Life continued as normal for the community of monks, but there would soon be a monk that would go down in history as the father of English history, Bede.
Bede was born in either 672 or 673 around Jarrow in the Kingdom of Northumbria. Bede was born on land that belonged to the monastery of St Pauls. When Bede was around seven years old in 680 he was sent to Monkwearmouth to be educated and become a Benedictine monk. Later Bede went to Jarrow and become a student of the Abbot Ceolfrith. Bede spent his life at Monkwearmouth-Jarrow and he dedicated his life to study and learning. Over the years Bede wrote sixty books most notably his Ecclesiastical History of the English people. This was a history of the church in England up to Bede's time, the book lays the foundation that we are English in ethnicity not just Northumbrian, Mercian, Wessex, Essex or whatever we had a shared heritage, history and identity. Bede's book the Ecclesiastical History of the English people is still published and read today I have read it many times. But on the 26th May in 735 the Venerable Bede died at the age of 61 or 62 at Jarrow. Bede was buried in the monastery and his burial site soon became a shrine that Pilgrims went on Pilgrimage to see. But as for the double monasteries of St Peter and St Paul life went on for another century. However by the 9th century the monastic community and life here started to decline, although people still came on Pilgrimage to see Bede's shrine. In 1020 Bede's bones were moved from Jarrow and taken to Durham where they we put along side Saint Cuthbert, Bede is still at Durham today. But things would soon change in England as a invading army and a different cultural was about to arrive in England and put its mark on the country.
In 1066 Duke William Duke of Normandy invaded England with a Norman army and defeated and killed the last crowned Anglo-Saxon King of England King Harold II and most of the English nobility at the battle of Hastings. On Christmas day December 25th in 1066 Duke William Duke of Normandy had himself crowned King William I King of England at Westminster Abbey in London. In 1070 the monastery was re-established by the Prior of Winchcombe and Gloucestershire Prior Aldwin. Prior Aldwin seems to have been interested and inspired by the story of Bede and he took an interest in the double monasteries. Prior Aldwin got the backing of the Bishop of Durham to rebuild the Abbey. Aldwin completely changed the layout of the Abbey into a Benedictine style. There was now an enclosed cloister with walkways for the monks and spaces for silent prayer and contemplation. Prior Aldwin's plans for the Abbey were grand and elaborate and he never saw the Abbey completed, in fact it was never completed. The monks of the Abbey used what had already been built but they never finished Prior Aldwin's vision. The east wing of the Abbey was finished but the south and west wings were only particularly completed at best. In 1083 however Prior Aldwin accepted the post of Prior of Durham as well as Wearmouth-Jarrow, and the monks moved with the Prior to Durham. It was not until the 12th century that they returned to Jarrow.
In the 12th century the monks returned to Jarrow to continue were they left off and repair the decay that had set in to the Abbey. Although the Abbey was now dependent on the Cathedral and community of Durham. They were dependent as the community that went there was very small much smaller than the community that left, there was only one master and about two monks. They didn't stay for long though only about three years before they went back to Durham. By now Jarrow was one of Durhams poorest monastic communities. Although by the 13th century the Abbey at Jarrow was changed the south wing and the cloisters were removed. And from that moment on the Abbey operated more like a Manor House than an Abbey. The monks who continued to live there were supported by a farm, a windmill, Granary and other buildings of this type. But the small monastic community that lived here would soon face their biggest test, and test that would destroy both historic Abbey's.
During the reign of King Henry VIII King of England the King wanted to have his marriage to Queen Catherine of Aragon annulled so that he could marry Anne Boleyn and have a male heir. But the Pope refused to grant him an annulment so the King decied to split with the Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant Reformation started. The supporters of the Reformation soon turned their attention to the bastion of the Catholic church in England the monasteries. While the King just saw the vast wealth in money, jewels and land that they owned. Over 800 monasteries were dissolved during the Dissolution of the monasteries between 1536 and 1541. The Abbey's of St Peter and St Paul in Wearmouth-Jarrow were dissolved in 1537. At the Abbey in Jarrow only the eastern church was kept as a parish church the larger church and the remaining buildings were all destroyed." Ian Parker.
These three images were shot on a brief visit to Tasmania in 2001.
And yes, the wee, barbed-wire fence was the only thing between myself and camera and the anodyne fields.
Please note: geotagging is *approximate* - Bagdad just sounded too good not to use.
This is my card for this week's Card Patterns sketch. I started out with the circle, gluing botanical text paper to grungepaper and die cutting a circle. Then several layers of Picket Fence Distress Stain was added to the text paper to tone it down. The tree stamp was stamped three times using Archival Olive ink and a stamp positioned for precise placement. The edges were inked a bit. For the border piece one edge of the square frame was white embossed three times on manila cardstock. Then the piece was inked with Bundled Sage and Pine Needles and misted with a bit of water. The sentiment was also white embossed on manila cardstock and then inked with Frayed Burlap. I used a lace die to cut strips from green Kraft core paper, sanded a bit and added them to the joint between the two background papers. TFL!
Blogpost: layersofink.blogspot.com/2012/03/card-patterns-155.html
Supplies: DRS Designs: Vertical Triple Tree, One Line Happy Thoughts Greeting, Fanfare Square; Distress Ink: Frayed Burlap, Pine Needles, Bundled Sage; Distress Stain: Picket Fence; Archival ink Olive; Tim Holtz patterned paper; Ranger manila cardstock; Spellbinders circle die; Sizzix Tim Holtz Vintage Lace die; buttons; twine.
RAND: Or How Life Could Be curated by Ulrich Wulff and Remco Torenbosch 19 februari tot en met 12 april 2009
Vanaf 19 februari is een tweede presentatie in QLOBBY te zien, samengesteld en georganiseerd door Ulrich Wulff en Remco Torenbosch. Op de achterwand van QLOBBY zijn werken tentoongesteld van John Bock, André Butzer, Sven-Ake Johannson, Ulrich Wulff, Thomas Zipp, Andreas Hofer, Michael S Riedel, Veronique Bourgoin, Maja Körner, Tom Hartmann, Pat Ngoho, Nora Joung, Hank Schmidt in der Beek, Dennis Loesch, Thomas Winkler,
Bara, Remco Torenbosch en Björn Dahlem. De tentoonstelling Or How Life Could Be toont een achttiental kunstenaars waarvan het merendeel nog niet eerder werk getoond heeft binnen de Nederlandse landgrenzen. De samenstelling bestaat uit vrienden en bekenden en is daardoor erg persoonlijk en luchtig. Bij Or How Life Could Be worden de grenzen en mogelijkheden van het idee “de tentoonstelling” als sociaal draagvlak binnen de kunst onderzocht. Internationaal gevestigde namen en minder bekende kunstenaars krijgen dezelfde behandeling waardoor een spontanere smeltkroes ontstaat waarbij de fabel van high- en low-art voorgoed van tafel geveegd kan worden.
Gillo Dorfles
MAMMELLE IN VOLO
gouache di Yasmin Brandolini d'Adda
Edizione N. 3708 Osnago, Maggio 2000
stampato in 28 copie
© edizionipulcinoelefante
© All rights reserved. Use without permission is illegal
An early 19th century re-build of a Roman Limes auxiliary fort. A short explanation in three languages. Thank you!
Roman Gallery, Altes Museum, Berlin, Germany. Complete indexed photo collection at WorldHistoryPics.com.
In making the case for National Historic Landmark status, Eleanor Ehrhardt, a member of the Montauk Historical Society, worked with historical consultant Robert Hefner to demonstrate the lighthouse's role in the development and growth of the Port of New York: "they documented how the light became a critical waypoint in guiding ships coming from Europe between 1797 and 1870."
Ref.: Bill Bleyer, "Iconic lighthouse is now a National Historic Landmark,' Newsday Thursday, August 23, 2012, p. A25.
Aristoteles: De historia animalium [Greek]. Includes nineteen tracts of Aristotle, some not genuine, and five of Theophrastus. Edited by Aldus Manutius with the assistance of Franciscus Caballus. Venice: Aldus Manutius, Romanus, 29 Jan. 1497. Opening page of main text ([2r]) with woodcut Greek initial and ornamentation. Sp Coll Hunterian Bh.2.6.
Makasih buat tim reportase Tabloid LeZAT yang sudah memasukkan Dapur Solia di Edisi No. 154.
To know Dapur Solia, check this blog: dapursolia.blogspot.com
Or email us at: dapur.solia@gmail.com
Thank you ....
GEICO, headquartered in Chevy Chase, MD, has been a member since September 2001 and won the 2012 Maryland Green Registry Clean Commute Contest with a 6.4 million mile reduction in employee commute miles through various incentive programs.
www.mde.state.md.us/marylandgreen/Documents/GEICO_Profile...