View allAll Photos Tagged Positioning.
Title: Sydney Harbour Bridge Test load assembled in position 1
Dated: 10/02/1932
Digital ID:
Series: NRS 12685 Sydney Harbour Bridge Photographic Albums
Rights: No known copyright restrictions www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions
We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents.
Many other photos in our collection are available to view and browse on our website.
And while she was in this position a little kid waved to her and she was able to wave back.
Model: Rachel Curl
Instagram: @keystocarstairs
This view looks south-west from a position adjacent to the Seri Rambai cannon at the point of the north-western bastion of Fort Cornwallis, in George Town, Penang, Malaysia. A photo I posted a couple of days ago looks directly at the ammunition store which is just visible on the left edge of the image above. The cannon positions are visible, along the western wall of the bastion and what appears to be the footings for a trainable gun in the very far corner.
Beyond, the partially-hidden roofed building in the distance is probably the fort's main magazine, surrounded by high protective walls. The small domed building to its right is also within the protective magazine walls, suggesting a similar role - perhaps one for powder and one for shot? It's interesting that they stand proud of the defensive works on the fort's walls. You'd have thought they woudl have been partially sunken into the ground - but perhaps there was a risk of damp/water in light of the fort's proximity to the sea?
Light Road (Lebuh Light) can be seen just over the heads of the two ladies on the right. Assuming that "The Chartered Bank" (seen on the left horizon) is a precursor of today's Standard Chartered Bank, I can report that the bank has moved since this shot was taken in 1971.
The bastion fort was built by the British East India Company in the late 18th century and is the largest standing fort in Malaysia. The fort never engaged in combat during its operational history.
It was named after the then Lieutenant-General The 2nd Earl Cornwallis (1738-1805), the Governor-General of Bengal at the time of the fort's construction, who had also been involved in the American War of Independence, surrendering his army to George Washington at Yorktown in 1781.
In 1804, after the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars, and during Colonel R T Farquhar's term as Governor of Prince of Wales Island (also known as Penang Island), Indian convict labourers rebuilt the fort using brick and stone. Fort Cornwallis was completed in 1810, at the cost of $80,000, during Norman Macalister’s term as Governor of Penang. A moat 9m wide by 2m deep once surrounded the fort but it was filled in the 1920s due to a malaria outbreak in the area.
Even though the fort was originally built for the British military, its function, historically, was more administrative than defensive. For example, the judge of the Supreme Court of Penang, Sir Edmond Stanley, an Anglo-Irish barrister, was first housed at Fort Cornwallis when the court opened on 31 May 1808. During the 1920s Sikh police of the Straits Settlements occupied the fort.
Royal Navy personnel under the direction of Revd Peter Brown conducted an archaeological survey in July/August 1970. The fort was gazetted on 8 September 1977, under the Antiquities Act 168/1976, as an Ancient Monument and Historic site. Today it is part of the George Town UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The view above looks almost due south from a position close to the Seri Rambai cannon, with the Jubilee Clock Tower peaking over the trees to the left of the store. Scanned from a slide. Taken by a relative during a visit in 1971.
Positioned facing the sea along the seafront at Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex. The statue was unveiled on 1st August 2014.
Herbert George Columbine was born in Penge during 1893. There is also a memorial in Penge. On 22nd March 1918 Private Columbine of the 9th Squadron Machine Gun Corps was in charge of a Vickers machine gun at Hervilly Wood. In the face of overwhelming enemy action Private Columbine told his comrades to escape whilst he continued to single handed hold the enemy at bay. He did this for several hours until his position was bombed by German aircraft, killing him.
Private Columbine's medals are in the Essex Regiment Museum in the City of Chelmsford. I have been there but will return at some point to check out the medals. Although photography is not allowed within the Essex Regiment Museum.
Once the sun moved into a favorable angle, we all took up position outside Missionary Ridge tunnel for a runby. (Actually, a bunch of them.)
And yes, there was more than one Dad Joke made about it being the missionary position...
An old John Deere tractor sits in the powerful sun while on display at the Washington County Ag Center.
Atlantikwall Regelbau M184 - Bunker With Emplacement for 15 cm SK C/28 in Drh LC/34 Naval Turret From battlecruiser "Gneisenau" in World War 2 used as coast-defense guns after the war in HAWK Battery Stevns Fort, Denmark.
Artillery position m184 bunker, fitted with an armored double turret (2 x 150mm) from the cannibalized battlecruiser "Gneisenau".
At operation Cerberus in 1942, The Gneisenau along with Scarnhorst and Printz Eugen, broke through the English Channel from Brest in France to German Harbours. In this operation, the Gneisenau was damaged by a mine. It was to be repaired in Kiel, but against all rules, it was not emptied for ammunition before docking. During this docking the ship was hit by an air attack, and a bomb exploded in the 280 mm front triple revolving gun turret A. The explosion destroyed the entire front of the ship and 112 men were killed.
In 1943 Hitler ordered (Führerbefehl) that all heavy ships, from light cruisers and onwards, should be
demolished.
He was not satisfied with their efforts. Because of this “Führerbefehl, the artillery were removed from
the heavy units and used as the armament on the Atlantic Wall. neisenau itself was sunk as a block-
ship in the harbour of Gotenhaven (Gdynia) It was scrapped by the Poles after the war.
The two turrets from the Stevns Fort were originally placed on the north part of the western Danish
island Fanoe as The Graadyb Battery. (Batteri Graadyb).
In 1952 the turrets were moved from Fanoe to their current position on the Stevns Fort.
The 15 cm SK C/28 was a German medium-caliber naval gun used during the Second World War. It served as the secondary armament for the Bismarck class and Scharnhorst-class battleships, Deutschland-class cruisers and the Graf Zeppelin-class aircraft carriers. A number of surplus weapons were used as coast-defense guns and eight were adapted to use Army carriages and used as heavy field guns as the 15 cm Schiffskanone C/28 in Mörserlafette.
Turret is Originally the guns were placed as secondary armament on the WW2 German pocket battleship Gneisenau of the Gneisenau/Scarnhorst class.
History of the Naval Turret
Surplus naval mountings were used to reinforce German coast defenses from Norway to the French Atlantic coast. These included guns from incomplete or disarmed ships like the aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin or the battleship Gneisenau. For example, three or four of the Graf Zeppelin's Dopp MPL C/36 mounts equipped both batteries of Naval Artillery Battalion (Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung) 517 at Cap Romanov near Petsamo, Finland while two of the Gneisenau's Drh. LC/34 mounts were emplaced on the west coast of Denmark at Esbjerg where they equipped Batterie Gneisenau of Naval Artillery Battalion 518. All told, a total of 111 SK C/28 guns were employed on coast defense duties in a variety of mounts, 12 in Denmark.
Surviving guns in Denmark were used throughout the Cold War by both countries.
#Atlantikwal #Bunker #Regelbau
Out under the portico and in the big first room of the British pavilion stand two identical yellow sculptures. Arch-backed and bums raised, as though in some difficult Pilates position, arms behind head and huge of erection, they look as if they are about to orgasm. If Jeff Koons’s balloon dog mated with a Franz West sausage, these two works by Sarah Lucas might be their priapic offspring. Each of their bodies provides a spider-like support for a humungous questing penis, reaching skyward. In the pavilion, the tip of the penis catches the light, gleaming white against the yellow walls.
Except it is not quite a penis, not exactly a sausage and not entirely a male body. Even the pendulous sagging balls have something breast-like about them. Named after Maradona, neither of these sculptures has a hand – only a blob at the end of their tubular resin limbs. The sculptures are an up-yours welcome to Lucas’s official British contribution to the 56th Venice Biennale. Her exhibition, I Scream Daddio, uses all the artist’s familiar tropes, yet Lucas still manages to surprise. The surprise for some is that she gets away with it, time and again. Lucas has a great knack for reinvention: she can make the familiar fresh.
Beyond these two yellow sculptures, in a series of custard-yellow rumpus rooms, figures wait for or recover from sex. Or maybe they’re just naked and hanging about. Cross-legged on the edge of a chair, one looks as if she’s dying for a pee. Another spreads her legs on an office desk, and one more lies on her stomach on a drop-leaf Formica kitchen table, waiting for the postman’s knock. One leans over a toilet bowl, while another straddles a concrete loo as if it were a horse. And they’re all having a fag, each of them with a cigarette poking out of their bum or their fanny and/or their navel. Anyone got a light? Each pose, and every body, is different. They could be us. In fact, some of these bodies are casts of people I know, each of them name-checked in the accompanying exhibition pamphlet. Here’s Margot and Sadie and Pauline, Lucas and her friends, her muses.
Lucas treads a line between the bawdy, the saucy and the abject. The bawdiness is in the bodies who have no heads or arms but somehow manage a cigarette, and don’t care what we think of them. The sauce is the yellow that covers the walls. It is the yellow of eggs and sunshine and the walls of Sir John Soane’s drawing room in his house in Bloomsbury. The abject is the drama of the hapless plaster bodies, a choreography of arrested moments.
Dedicated to basic human pervery and pleasure, Lucas’s pavilion gives us room after room of sculptural images, of the kinds of things people get up to when they’re left to their own devices. These are the pleasures of the body in the listless hours when we’ve nothing more constructive to do with ourselves. The figures are also like commands and positions from a highly constructed dance: front, back, spread, close, lift, bend, turn. If this is what bodies do, it is what sculpture does, too.
What are we meant to think about as we wander from room to room, with their mid-century modern furniture, the brand new washing machine, the sanitary porcelain and the giant fridge freezer, on which a cast of the bottom half of chef Margot Henderson reclines, like one of Ingres’s odalesques?
“The sculptures are set in a sea of custard,” Lucas writes. “Crème Anglais in other words.” She wants to put us all in a good mood. The off-white plaster bodies remind her of meringues in a dessert, with Fergus Henderson providing a recipe for iles flottantes in the catalogue. Lucas’s catalogue, rather than providing explanation (though it does, by devious default) continues her work by other means. Part sculptor’s notebook, part autobiography, part diary of her life in London and Suffolk, it is filled with disarming delights.
Among her figures, wretched black bronze cats – which look as if they’re made from black bin liners and tar – pad about. They lounge on the furniture and on breeze-block plinths, minding their own business, getting their own pleasures where they can, oblivious to ours.
(The Guardian)
Newark, NJ
In the late 1960s, the Central Railroad of New Jersey was bankrupt and seeking state government assistance to either subsidize or let it escape its commuter rail burden. Two results of this effort are seen here: Jersey Central Geep 4109, bought with NJDOT assistance and designed so that it could become a part of corporate parent B&O's freight roster if CNJ was ever allowed to get out of the passenger business, and the rerouting of CNJ trains over the Lehigh Valley's main line (allowing them to use Newark Penn Station rather than CNJ's massive Communipaw Ave terminal). Today it's very rare for a Jersey Central Geep to cover this territory, and in this case it's happening for a very special run: the last former CNJ engineer still with NJ Transit is retiring, and will get to run this trainset tomorrow to celebrate.
Prints available at SmugMug: donaldwinship.smugmug.com/Rail-Photography/i-spQr9vb
Details
Year Established
1816
Engineer
Robert Stevenson
Position
Latitude
56° 11.139'N
Longitude
002° 33.457'W
Character
Flashing (2) White every 15 secs
Elevation
73 metres
Nominal Range
22 nautical miles
Structure
Square gothic tower on stone dwelling, 24 metres high The lighthouse building is listed as a building of Architectural/Historic interest.
The island lies at the mouth of the Firth of Forth, 5 miles from the Fife mainland and 11 miles from East Lothian. The island's coastline is rocky; its surface covers 140 acres and slopes gradually from vertical 150ft cliffs on the west side to sea level on the east. Its history dates back to the early custom of founding Monastic settlements on small islands and it was manifest in the choice of St Adrian, when, in the ninth century, he and his brother monks established their retreat on the Isle of May. Later, in the twelfth century, King David I founded a monastery on the island which he granted to the Benedictine Abbey of Reading in Berkshire. This was on the condition that nine priests be placed there to celebrate divine service for the souls of the founder, his predecessors, and successors, the Kings of Scotland.
The Benedictine monks continued in peaceful occupation until the fifteenth century when the monastery was possessed by the sea of St Andrew. This act saw the disbanding of the settlement, and with the ravages of marauding invaders and the passage of time the buildings gradually fell into disrepair.
Today the only remaining evidence of the island's religious past is the fragmented remains of the chapel built in the twelfth century and dedicated to St Adrian.
The island is perhaps best known among naturalists for its bird observatory which was launched in 1934 under the auspices of the then newly formed British Trust for Ornithology. It was on similar lines to the famous German Observatory at Heligoland and was the first in Scotland and only the second in the British Isles, the other being on Skokholm Island off South Wales. The studies of bird migration, varied seabird breeding populations, the island's own breed of mice and the island plant communities are all added attractions for visitors, in addition to the geology, the history and the lighthouses.
The ledges of the West and South Cliffs carry a large breeding population of guillemots, shags, kittiwakes, razorbills and a few fulmars. Hundreds of puffins nest in burrows on the east and north of the island; the flatter areas of the island's surface are almost entirely occupied by herring and lesser black-backed gulls. The island was declared a National Nature Reserve in 1956. A lighthouse has been operating on the Isle of May since 1635 in which year King Charles 1st granted a patent to James Maxwell of Innerwick and John and Alexander Cunningham of Barnes to erect a beacon on that island and to collect dues from shipping for its maintenance. This light, however, was a crude affair and consisted of a stone structure, surmounted by an iron chauffeur in which there burned a coal fire to serve as the illuminant. The coals were hoisted to the fire by means of a box and pulley and three men were employed the whole year round attending to the fire which consumed about 400 tons of coal a year. In 1790 a lightkeepers' entire family was suffocated by fumes, except for an infant daughter, who was found alive 3 days later.
Despite the fact that the light was regarded in its time as one of the finest in existence, its value as an aid to navigation, judged by today's standards, must have been decidedly limited. The character of the light would naturally vary considerably with almost every change in weather conditions; One minute it might be belching forth great volumes of smoke and the next blazing up in clear high flames, while changes in wind directions would tend to alter its appearance. An easterly wind for instance would have the effect of blowing the flames away from the sea so that the light could scarcely be seen where it was most wanted. An instance of this occurred on the night of 19 December 1810 when two of HM Ships NYMPHE and PALLAS were wrecked near Dunbar because the light of a lime kiln on the coast had been mistaken for the navigation light on the Isle of May. In 1814 the Commissioners purchased from the Duke and Duchess of Partland the Isle of May, together with the old coal lighthouse which was built in 1816. It was converted to a Rock Station on 9 August 1972 and looks a bit like a small castle with its protective battlements.
About a quarter of a mile from the lighthouse and on the east side of the island stands the tower and domestic buildings of the "Low Light". A light was first exhibited from this small lighthouse in April 1844 to act, in conjunction with the main lighthouse, as a lights in line so that the mariner could avoid the treacherous North Carr Rock some seven miles north of the Island. However, when the NORTH CARR LIGHTSHIP was established in position in 1887, there was no longer a need for the Low Light and it was, therefore, permanently discontinued. The buildings are now occupied by members of the Ornithological fraternity.
There have been many improvements to the light since 1816. One September 1836 the light was changed to the first British dioptric fixed light, with an improved form of refractor made by Messrs Cookson of Newcastle.
Work began in June 1885 on the station on a elaborate scale. The ornate tower built in 1816 with its extra rooms for visiting officials, had accommodation for only three lightkeepers and their families. Dwellings were needed for three more, and an engine house, boiler house chimney stalk, workshop and coal store. These were built in a small valley containing a freshwater loch, 270 yards from the light and 175 feet below it, and the current led up to the tower by conductors. The two generators, each weighing about 4½ tons, the largest so far made, has a capacity of 8,800 watts, which could be controlled so that the whole or only part of the current was used.
The single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares in reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter. A core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an average of 440 feet per annum was used.
The single automatically-fed arc lamp, with two spares in reserve used carbons 1½ inches in diameter. A core of soft pure graphite made these burn with great steadiness, and an average of 440 feet per annum was used. The tremendous current bridging the arc startled a stranger entering the lightroom by a sound like a circular was passing through exceedingly knotty timber, according to one visiting lightkeeper. A three-wick paraffin oil lamp, kept trimmed and ready for use in case the electric current failed, could be lighted and put in focus in about three minutes.
The new light, which was shown from December 1st 1886, gave four flashes in quick succession every half minute, It had an elaborate dioptric apparatus which enabled Thomas Stevenson's dipping plan to be adopted so that the strongest beam of light could be directed much nearer the shore in hazy or foggy weather. The light as about three million candlepower when on machine was in use, and double that with two, or about 300 and 600 times more powerful than the old fixed oil light. he geographical range was 22 miles, but the light was picked up and recognised by sailors at 40 and 50 miles off by the flashes lighting up the clouds overhead.
To ensure efficient working, the whole establishment required the services of a Principal Lightkeeper with technical experience as Engineer-in-Charge, four Assistant with no special training - two for lightroom duty and two to attend the engines and boilers - and an auxiliary whose main responsibility was looking after the station horse and the carting of supplies, which was no light task, with a special supply of 150 tons of steam coke for the engines 1888 - 1889. The total cost of the installation was about £22,000 including the lighthouse buildings already in use. Maintenance at not more than £1,050 per annum was about three time that for an oil light, but it was reckoned that the cost per candlepower produced was relatively small. Electrical power indeed proved to be the most penetrating form of light, although its superiority was much reduced in hazy weather. In really dense fog even the powerful light on the Isle of May could not be seen from the foot of the tower owing to the heavy cost of maintaining the generating plant and the greatly increased power of oil lights made possible by the incandescent mantle. The electric light was therefore discontinued at the Isle of May in 1924. The station then cost about £2,884 per annum to maintain compared with £1,031 for an oil light the original equipment had become unsafe, and then the question of renewal was raised by D A Stevenson who proposed reverting to an oil light, for which the Commissioners obtained Board of Trade sanction.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution rewarded the lightkeepers on the Isle of May for saving lives when the MATAGORDA was wrecked in 1872 and the German Government sent a binocular field glass each to Robert Grierson and Laurence Anderson who helped the crew of the PAUL lost on Inchkeith in 1888.
In 1930 two young lightkeepers rescued four men by swimming off to the Aberdeen trawler GEORGE AUNGER wrecked on the North Ness and helping them ashore. In 1972 the lighthouse became a "rock" station which meant that the keepers' families no longer lived at the lighthouse but at the shore station in Granton.
The Isle of May was demanned on the 31 March 1989. The operation of the light is controlled by a photo electric cell which determines when darkness has fallen, and the light, which has a range of 22 miles, is automatically turned on. Monitoring of the light is by UHF Radio monitor to Fife Ness Lighthouse then by PSTN to NLB Headquarters in George Street Edinburgh.
A huge word of thanks to the crew at Drogheda Fire Station for positioning the appliances for photographing
Lesson 45 took 20 minutes to complete. Leave a comment on what you think could be better or what you like about it. Thanks :)
An eastbound Norfolk Southern stack train passes beneath the eastbound home signals for CP Leets on the Fort Wayne Line in Leetsdale, Pennsylvania.
A view of the medieval castle in Lewes shortly before a shower of rain. Originally called Bray Castle, it occupies a commanding position guarding the gap in the South Downs cut by the River Ouse. Constructed from local limestone and flint blocks, it stands on a man-made mount just to the north of the High Street.
One can consider the presentation of this spectacular hardtop coupe as an ultimate afford to gain attention of the audience to persuade them for buying a Packard. The financial position of Packard was terrible in 1956. But it wasn't much of a help.
Richard 'Dick' Teague (Los Angeles, 1923-1991) designed the Predictor. It was built at Carrozzeria Ghia, Torino in Italy on a Clipper platform. In ninety days the Italians managed to get this project ready, just in time for the Chicago Car Show (see photo).
The Predictor had all kinds of new automotive features, like tilting headlights, roof doors rolled back when opening the door, lowering back window, swiveling seats, dashboard design which followed the hood profile, a power operated trunk lid, and a wraparound windshield that curved into the roof.
Many car brands copied several novelties: the grille at the 1958 Edsel, the roof line at the 1958 Lincoln Premier, the rear bumper at the 1958 Oldsmobile, opera windows or portholes in the rear pillar at the 1957 Thunderbird, and the headlights at the 1962 Corvette.
Only one Predictor was made. It still exists and is on display at the Studebaker National Museum, South Bend, Indiana.
6128 cc V8 engine.
Production Packard Predictor: 1956.
Image source:
Rob de la Rive Box, Amerikanen uit de jaren '50, Rijswijk, Elmar, 1993.
Original photographer, place and date unknown.
Halfweg, July 27, 2024.
© 2024 Sander Toonen Halfweg | All Rights Reserved
Having worked north from Wembley to Polmadie over two days at the weekend, GB Railfreight Class 92, 92010 returned south on the Monday night with the second rake of Mk5s for the roll-out of the new stock on the Highlander over the following few days.
The 5Z45 path was originally from Polmadie to Ferme Park, but was adjusted to go direct to Wembley.
Consist (Units 6 and 7): 15003 - 15109 - 15207 - 15323 - 15321 - 15317 - 15310 - 15208 - 15010 - 15107 - 15210 - 15334 - 15305 - 15327 - 15335 - 15315
Explorer Highest position: 283 on Monday, October 13, 2008
Strength, balance, courage and reason
Today is the Catalonia National Day , "CASTELLS" is one of my country simbols , union to achieve sky
Fuerza, equilibrio,valor y sentido común
Hoy es la Diada Nacional de Catalunya , los "CASTELLS" es uno de los símbolos de mi país, cuando la unión consigue llegar al cielo
Castellano : es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casteller
English : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castell
Italiano : it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castell