View allAll Photos Tagged segment

26 pc, 5-3/4"h x 4-1/2"dia

 

Möhneseeturm - Naturpark Arsnberger Wald

The High Level Segment of the Governing Council of the Community of Democracies took place on March 5, on the occasion of the 28th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council. Given the occasion, the meeting dealt intensively with topics related to human rights, and hosted three United Nations Special Rapporteurs: SR on Promoting the Rights to Freedom of Opinion and Expression, David Kaye; SR on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders Michel Forst; and SR on the Rights to Freedom of Peaceful Assembly and of Association, Maina Kiai. Special Rapporteurs presented their latest reports and insights and discussed them with Ministers and High Level Participants.

571 pc, 7-1/2"h x 5-1/2"dia

 

A segment of their 'South Circuit' feeder from the Knapp Sub going off-road.

 

In recent years, Dunn has been targeting lines like these for relocation to bring the circuits closer to the roadside. I have a feeling they will simply underground this portion when replacement comes (which is probably very soon given the lines age).

Ten days after pan-retinal photocoagulation (PRP). Note regression of new vessels.

Photo: Anthony Hall.

Published in: Community Eye Health Journal Vol. 24 No. 75 SEPTEMBER 2011 www.cehjournal.org

The High Level Segment of the Governing Council of the Community of Democracies took place on March 5, on the occasion of the 28th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council. Given the occasion, the meeting dealt intensively with topics related to human rights, and hosted three United Nations Special Rapporteurs: SR on Promoting the Rights to Freedom of Opinion and Expression, David Kaye; SR on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders Michel Forst; and SR on the Rights to Freedom of Peaceful Assembly and of Association, Maina Kiai. Special Rapporteurs presented their latest reports and insights and discussed them with Ministers and High Level Participants.

6-3/4"h x 6-3/4"w x 1-1/4"d

The LeoStick & RTC, buttons for setting the time etc and the connector to the module. I have some pull-up/down resistors on the lines to the module. I found otherwise, if I let them float, the module would clock-in some random data. A little hot-glue as stress relief on the leads.

The Fifth annual Double Damned Regatta sponsored by the Hood River Yacht Club was held Saturday, August 11, 2012 between Bonneville and The Dalles dams.

 

Expectiing the famous Gorge winds, sailors awoke to a quiet day of spinnaker racing in gentle westerly breeze. This 12 vertical fram panorama shows the section from the mouth of the Klickatat river at Lyle, Washington to the Doug's beach windsurfing site west of The Dalles.

 

The pano is 31805x5196 pixels. Taken from the Nature Conservancy's Tom McCall Nature Preserve atop Rowena Crest.

 

Contacts can view the 8192 pixel wide version of this image.

 

To view this 160 degree panorama click here to go to fieldofview.com

 

ColumbiaGorgePhotos,com

GeorgePurvisPhotography.com

WallGalleryDesigner.com

WTDC-17 High-level segment

 

© ITU/E. DOMINGUEZ

MINISTERIEL MEETING

Sunday 15 March

Intergovernmental Segment, Ministerial Round Table

 

Reconstructing After Disasters: Building Back Better

Intergovernmental Segment, Ministerial Round Table

Organizer(s): WCDRR

Sunday 15 March 10:00 - 13:00

Venue: Sendai International Centre Room N°: Meeting Room 1 & 2

 

Photos by: Guillaume Bression

Nikon D4 + 24-70mm f/2.8G | Roque de los Muchachos Obs, La Palma, Canary Islands, 12 July 2012

© 2012 José Francisco Salgado, PhD

Do not use without permission.

Facebook

 

MAGIC (Major Atmospheric Gamma-ray Imaging Cherenkov Telescopes) is a system of two Imaging Atmospheric Cherenkov telescopes situated at about 2200 m above sea level. MAGIC detects particle showers released by gamma rays, using the Cherenkov radiation, i.e., faint light radiated by the charged particles in the showers. With a diameter of 17 meters for the reflecting surface, it was the largest in the world before the construction of H.E.S.S. II.

La Plaza Saint-Hubert ou Société de développement commercial de la Plaza St-Hubert est un regroupement de 400 commerces et entreprises de services situés sur la rue Saint-Hubert, entre les rues de Bellechasse et Jean-Talon, dans le quartier Petite-Patrie de Montréal.

.

Créée en 1959, la Plaza se caractérise depuis 1984 par sa marquise (verrière) qui abrite les deux trottoirs de la rue Saint-Hubert sur une distance de 1,2 km. Elle regroupe toutes sortes de commerces et de services (vêtements, chaussures, meubles, restaurants, librairies, magasin de photo, pharmacie, alimentation, bars, etc.), mais elle est particulièrement connue pour sa concentration de boutiques de mariées. Parmi les établissements célèbres de la Plaza figurent notamment la rôtisserie St-Hubert, dont le premier restaurant y a ouvert en 1951, le magasin de photo Lozeau, fondé en 1927, et la librairie Raffin, fondée en 1930.

.

Ce segment de la rue Saint-Hubert abrite aussi des édifices notables, comme le Théâtre Plaza [archive], construit en 1922, et la piscine Saint-Denis [archive] (1910).

Histoire

La Plaza Saint-Hubert fait aujourd’hui partie intégrante du paysage urbain de Montréal. Elle s’est imposée comme l’une des plus importantes artères commerciales de la ville, attirant chaque année des milliers de visiteurs d’un peu partout en province, et de l’extérieur du Québec. Bien que la Plaza St-Hubert célèbre en 2010 le 50e anniversaire de sa création, l’histoire de la rue St-Hubert remonte quant à elle au début du XIXe siècle, période à laquelle l’actuel quartier Petite-Patrie commençait peu à peu à prendre sa forme actuelle.

XIXe siècle[modifier | modifier le code]

Le tracé officiel de la rue Saint-Hubert remonte à 1826. À l’époque, le centre de l’île était constitué en majeure partie de terres agricoles, propriétés des sulpiciens. Les divisions territoriales de l’époque différaient de celles que l’on connaît aujourd’hui. En 1840, on assiste à la formation des premiers conseils municipaux. Dès lors, c’est l’administration municipale qui prend en charge la gestion des terres seigneuriales désormais divisées en concessions. Plus tard, au gré des nombreuses fusions et divisions, de nouvelles municipalités voient le jour. C’est ainsi qu’en 1846, le territoire correspondant à l’actuel arrondissement de Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie consiste principalement en deux villages nommés « Côte-de-la-visitation » (aujourd’hui Rosemont) à l’est et « Côte-Saint-Louis » à l’ouest (Petite-Patrie).

L’appellation « côte » provient du fait que le centre de l’île représente, à l’exception du mont Royal, le territoire possédant la plus forte dénivellation topographique de toute l’île. Le sol de cette région, riche en pierre calcaire, en fait un site propice à l’exploitation. Ainsi, de nombreuses carrières sont déjà en opération le long de la périphérie sud des actuels territoires de Rosemont et de la Petite-Patrie. La population, constituée en grande partie de catholiques francophones, était majoritairement ouvrière. Les paroissiens de Côte-Saint-Louis cultivaient la terre ou travaillaient dans les carrières à l’exploitation de la pierre. De nombreuses résidences sont érigées le long de la jeune rue St-Hubert, mais ce n’est réellement qu’avec l’arrivée de la voie ferrée du Canadien Pacifique, en 1878, que l’on assiste à son développement commercial.

En plus de délimiter officiellement les limites sud du territoire, l’avènement de cette voie ferrée servira à créer de nombreux nouveaux emplois dans le secteur. Plusieurs familles s’installent au nord de cette dernière et aux abords de la rue St-Hubert. S’ensuit alors une période d’expansion économique et urbaine importante. Dès 1880, la rue St-Hubert s’impose comme l’un des axes commerciaux les plus importants du Nord de Montréal. Cette effervescence culmine en 1893 avec l’arrivée du tramway électrique de la Montréal Park & Island Railway Company. Ce dernier facilite grandement les déplacements entre les sites de travail et les quartiers résidentiels et attire un grand nombre de travailleurs immigrants. Résultat, vers 1897, le nombre d’habitants du quartier quadruple et de nombreux nouveaux commerces voient le jour.

Début XXe siècle

L’arrivée massive d’immigrants vers la fin du XIXe siècle, caractérisée alors par une immigration familiale et permanente, servira à modeler l’image du quartier de la Petite-Patrie et à lui conférer le caractère multiethnique qu’il possède toujours à ce jour. Cette poussée majeure de nouveaux arrivants, parmi lesquels on compte notamment des ouvriers irlandais, ukrainiens et italiens, marquera une nouvelle période de prospérité pour la rue St-Hubert. Elle connaîtra ainsi, vers 1910, une fulgurante expansion commerciale. En effet, parmi les nouveaux arrivants ayant érigé pignon sur rue, on compte un grand nombre de commerçants et d’entrepreneurs. La communauté italienne, notamment, connaît une expansion phénoménale au cours de cette période: elle formera sa propre communauté permanente, surnommée la Petite-Italie. La participation de la communauté italienne au développement commercial et industriel du secteur est historiquement considérable; parmi ces derniers on dénote un grand nombre d’ouvriers, d’entrepreneurs et de maçons qui participeront tous activement au développement du quartier. On n'a qu’à penser à la famille Catelli, dont l’usine de pâtes, située aux coins des actuelles rues Henri-Julien et Bellechasse, aura servi à générer de nombreux emplois et à vivifier le secteur.

Les années qui suivront seront marquées par l’arrivée de nombreux commerces sur la rue St-Hubert. La famille Jasmin (dont le fils, Claude, publiera plus tard un roman intitulé « La Petite-Patrie », décrivant son enfance dans le quartier et duquel l’arrondissement tirera officiellement son nom en 1972), y ouvre, vers 1930, un magasin de cadeaux exotiques. Puis, en 1951, la famille Léger ouvre la toute première rôtisserie St-Hubert, précurseur de la grande chaîne actuelle des restaurants St-Hubert BBQ. La rôtisserie se dote par la suite d’une des premières affiches au néon de l’époque, à l’effigie du désormais célèbre coq. L’endroit, ayant récemment fait l’objet d’importantes rénovations, demeure d’ailleurs toujours en opération à ce jour.

Les années 1950-1960

Afin de préserver l’intégrité et la viabilité des petits commerçants locaux face aux méga-centres émergents et autres gros concurrents, plusieurs marchands de la rue St-Hubert décident, en 1954, de se regrouper et de former une association des marchands. Elle mènera finalement, en 1959, à la création de la Plaza St-Hubert telle qu’on la connaît aujourd’hui. C’est le début des « belles années » de la Plaza. En effet, les années 1960 marqueront une période de prospérité sans précédent pour l’artère commerciale. La Plaza constitue alors un lieu économique et culturel très couru du tout Montréal francophone. Les grands artistes de la période, tels que Claude Blanchard, Fernand Gignac, Jean Grimaldi, Raymond Lévesque, Suzanne Lapointe et Michelle Richard s’y produisent régulièrement. L’achalandage atteint de nouveaux sommets. La Plaza est un lieu de rencontres, de commerce, d’échanges et de divertissements vibrant au sein d’un quartier en plein renouveau.

Le tramway est progressivement remplacé par la nouvelle ligne de métro de Montréal, ce qui facilite l’accès aux résidents. Au début des années 1960, la nouvelle station de télévision Télé-Métropole (CFTM-10) vante constamment les mérites de la Plaza sur ses ondes. La très populaire émission Dix sur dix, animée par Réal Giguère, participe également au succès retentissant de la Plaza en offrant la chance à ses téléspectateurs de remporter de nombreux prix en provenance des plus impressionnantes boutiques de l’artère. Au cours de cette période se tiennent les premiers « défilés de Noël » le long de la rue St-Hubert, événement annuel qui demeure à ce jour très populaire auprès des Montréalais. La rue poursuit son ascension et de plus en plus de magasins décident de s’y installer. Il est possible d’y apercevoir presque toutes les classiques de l’époque : la quincaillerie Lambert, le magasin Greenberg, le magasin Sauvé, l’épicerie Dionne et plusieurs autres noms qui auront marqué le milieu du commerce.

Les années 1970-1980

Cette période de prospérité se poursuit au cours des années 1970. Des subventions à la rénovation de logement rendent possible la restauration de plusieurs unités d'habitation, embellissant le quartier et contribuant à la valorisation de l’artère commerciale. La Plaza St-Hubert présente, en 1973, la toute première édition de sa grande vente trottoir annuelle. Il s’agit à ce moment d’une première au Québec pour un tel événement. Les années 1980 seront marquées par une nouvelle vague d’immigration dans le secteur. En effet, de nombreux nouveaux arrivants, issus cette fois-ci en majorité de pays latino-américains, d'Haïti et de pays asiatiques (surtout du Viêt Nam), élisent domicile dans le quartier. Certains d’entre eux ouvrent de nouveaux commerces. Ces nouveaux habitants contribuent dès lors à la vitalité commerciale, à la richesse culturelle et à la diversité sociale qui serviront à forger le caractère unique et le dynamisme de l'arrondissement tel qu’on le connaît aujourd’hui.

En 1984, la ville de Montréal décide de tenter une expérience en design urbain et dote la Plaza d’une impressionnante marquise de verre abritant les deux trottoirs de la rue St-Hubert sur une distance de 1,2 km. Désormais célèbre pour cette particularité esthétique, la Plaza continue d’être un des lieux de prédilection pour le magasinage des Montréalais.

L’arrivée de la SDC

Les quelque 400 commerçants œuvrant sur l’artère sont appuyés par la Société de Développement Commercial de la Plaza St-Hubert, un organisme à but non lucratif fondé en 1981 qui regroupe l'ensemble des entreprises, aussi bien de détail que de service, exerçant sur le territoire qu'elle dessert. La Société a pour but de promouvoir le développement commercial et la notoriété de la rue St-Hubert au moyen de diverses initiatives allant du concours en entrepreneuriat à de vastes projets de revitalisation en passant par la tenue d’événements spéciaux, tels que la grande vente-trottoir annuelle de la Plaza, nommée depuis 2010 « Atmosph’air sur la Plaza »

Extrait de Wikipedia

Colorado Trail - Segment 10 - Timberline Lake Trailhead to Mount Massive Trailhead - 13.6 miles.

The steel girders that closed the centre span were lifted and fixed in place earlier this week. Concrete deck panels were lowered into position using gantry cranes positioned at the end of the centre span. Soon, crews will start pouring concrete to cast those panels in place.

 

www.tranbc.ca

الجامع العُمري الكبير Omari mosque Beirut / Lebanon

 

Allenby street /اللنبي‎ طريق - Nejmeh / ‫نجمة‬‎ - Beirut / بيروت - Lebanon / لبنان

After a concrete pour of a deck segment, the concrete is smoothed out by a construction crew, and then left to set, or harden. This view of concrete setting is peering into the form traveler on the east edge of the bridge span being built towards the east bank of the Willamette River. Portland Opera's headquarters can be seen seen near the upper center of the photo.

 

Licensed for all uses by TriMet.

La aseguradora lanza una oferta específica para transporte y logística, dos segmentos estratégicos de la economía española

 

AXA ha lanzado al mercado una oferta global y complementaria que permite a transportistas y operadores logísticos sentirse protegidos ante los posibles riesgos que amenazan la continuidad de su actividad, desde la pérdida de la carga a la retirada del carné de conducir. El segmento de pymes de logística lo integran compañías de hasta 250 trabajadores cuya actividad se centra en el transporte de mercancías, unas 227.000 en toda España.

 

La oferta de AXA está compuesta por garantías que van desde la responsabilidad civil a la retirada de carné pensando en soluciones globales aseguradoras pensadas para empresas de logística y transportistas.

 

La oferta de AXA

 

- Producto de Responsabilidad Civil: Dirigida a proteger el patrimonio de las pymes que operan en el ámbito logístico frente a las reclamaciones de terceros de las que sean civilmente responsables. De este modo cubre, por ejemplo, daños sufridos por la mercancía objeto de almacenamiento así como perjuicios derivados de errores de envío (perjuicios puros), o la responsabilidad profesional derivada de operaciones de asesoramiento o de tramitación de documentos, tan habitual en el segmento de la logística.

 

- Producto de Daños: La oferta cubre no sólo casos de incendio o caída de mercancías de estanterías (los más frecuentes), sino que ofrece mayores coberturas como son la garantía de protección de marca, considerando las apreciaciones del departamento de calidad de la marca, o la garantía de pérdidas de adquisición de mercancías por cambio de divisa: quedan cubiertas las diferencias de valor por cambio negativo, entre el momento de compra inicial en el mercado exterior y el valor de nueva adquisición de los bienes dañados.

 

- Producto de Transporte de la mercancía, que además amplía su cobertura como por ejemplo para el caso de remoción (recogida) de restos.

 

- Protección del profesional en caso de retirada del carné, la oferta incluye una subvención mensual para paliar los perjuicios económicos que pudiera suponer para el asegurado perder el carné, los gastos de matriculación en los cursos de recuperación de puntos y la defensa jurídica.

 

Jornada de Corredores

 

Con motivo del lanzamiento de este novedoso producto, AXA ha organizado para sus socios del Club Empresas Corredores, las primeras ponencias en Logística en Madrid y Barcelona, centradas en aproximar a la mediación al sector logístico. 76 corredurías profundizaron en las oportunidades y amenazas de negocio que presenta este segmento estratégico de la economía española, así como en las necesidades y distintos perfiles de sus potenciales clientes.

 

Jorge Paricio, director del Canal Corredores de AXA España, tomó parte en ambas jornadas, donde destacó el potencial de negocio que ofrece el mercado logístico, “pues la logística se revela como un elemento clave en el éxito las pymes. En las circunstancias actuales, los profesionales del seguro hemos de estar al lado de nuestros clientes y prospectos, asesorándolos e identificando las soluciones de aseguramiento necesarias para la supervivencia y éxito de sus empresas.”

 

Las jornadas contaron con la presencia de varios expertos en la materia, que fueron invitados a narrar su experiencia como profesionales del sector. Entre ellos se encontraban José Estrada y Ramón García, del CEL (Centro Español de Logística), Ricardo Catelli, director de innovación de la Fundación ICIL, Carmen Gracia, directora de ATEIAOLT Barcelona, y Alberto Caspir, responsable del área de trasportes en C&C Nacional de reaseguros.

  

03.12.2018 - First part of the high-level segment

 

These photos are free to use under Creative Commons licenses and must be credited: "© cop24.gov.pl"

Statutory Address: BRIDGE AT TEIGNBRIDGE CROSSING, TEIGNBRIDGE CROSSING

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1334129

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Teigngrace

National Grid Reference: SX 85654 73308

Details: TEIGNGRACE TEIGNBRIDGE CROSSING SX 87 SE

 

8/228 Bridge at Teignbridge - Crossing 23.8.55 - II

 

Road bridge over Stover Canal. Dated 1798. Coursed stone to impost level with rusticated stone jambs. Flemish bond buff-coloured brick above. Segmental brick arch with yellow terracotta keystones with goats head mask on north side and Neptune mask on south side. Brick string course at road level and pilaster strips flanking in abutments. Brick parapets with rounded granite coping. Parapet appears to be rebuilt on the south side. Tablet at centre of north parapet inscribed:- "Erected by order of Thomas Taylor Esq., Thomas Love Esq., Thomas Kitson and Rev.B.W.Wrey. Magistrates of this County 1798". 2 pairs of cast iron circular moulded tie plates in the spandrels. Stover Canal was built by James Templer of Stover House q.v. 1790-92, the engineer was Thomas Gray of Exeter. It was improved by George Templer in 1824 when the locks were rebuilt in granite. The canal was nearly 2 miles long and joined the River Teign at Jetty Marsh near Newton Abbot where barges passed through the dredged Whitelake Channel to the estuary of the River Teign. The canal was a private venture and was built to transport Haytor granite after the Haytor granite tramway had been built in 1820. Reference: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of South West England, pp.118 to 122.

 

Listing NGR: SX8565473308

  

The Stover Canal is a canal located in Devon, England. It was opened in 1792 and served the ball clay industry until it closed in the early 1940s. Today it is derelict, but the Stover Canal Society is aiming to restore it and reopen it to navigation.

 

The canal was built at a time when the ball clay industry was expanding, but transport of the bulky product was difficult. James Templer (1748–1813) of Stover House, Teigngrace, saw this as an opportunity, and began to construct the canal at his own expense in January 1790. He planned to reach Bovey Tracey, passing through Jewsbridge, near Heathfield en route, and to construct a branch to Chudleigh. Having invested over £1,000 in the project, he sought an Act of Parliament which would allow him to raise more capital, but although the Act was passed on 11 June 1792, he did not invoke its powers, as the canal had already reached Ventiford, Teigngrace and he did not extend it further.

 

As built, the canal was 1.7 miles (2.7 km) long and included five locks. It was supplied with water from three feeders, one from Ventiford Brook, a stream which also supplies Stover Lake (now in Stover Country Park) and one from the River Bovey at Jewsbridge, both of which fed the top pound, and one from the River Teign at Fishwick, which entered the canal just below lock 4. The exit from the canal was on to the tidal Whitelake channel, and from there to the River Teign and the docks. The first three locks did not originally have side walls, but used earth banks instead, which were replaced with timber or brick walls in due course. The Graving Dock lock was only 56 ft (17 m) long, and so could take a single barge, but all the others were long enough to take two barges end to end. The first Jetty Marsh lock was much bigger, at 215 ft long and 45 ft wide (65m by 13.7m), but carries the inscription Duke of Somerset, 1841, and so it would appear that it was reconstructed as a basin, so that barges could wait in it for the tide. The Graving Dock lock is probably unique in the United Kingdom, in that it was reconstructed with a dock at its side, which could be used as a dry dock when the lock was empty. Both Jetty Marsh lock and Graving Dock lock are currently Grade 2 listed.

Having invested most of his capital in the project, James Templer was rewarded by the success of the canal. A major contract with Josiah Wedgwood and Sons was re-established in 1798. Wedgwood remained the major recipient of the ball clay until 1815, after which trade was established with other pottery manufacturers and other ports.

 

Route of the canal in relation to other relevant features

James' son, George Templer built the Haytor Granite Tramway to connect his granite quarries at Haytor Rocks to the canal basin at Ventiford. It opened on 16 September 1820,and for the next 40 years, the traffic in granite supplemented the ball clay trade. The canal was sold in 1829 by George Templer, along with the Stover estate and the quarries and tramway, to Edward St Maur, 11th Duke of Somerset (1775-1855).When plans to build the Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway were proposed, his son the 12th Duke of Somerset, who by then had inherited the Stover estate, sought to sell both the canal and the trackbed of the derelict Granite Tramway to the fledgling railway company.It was duly sold for £8,000 on 4 June 1862, by which time the section above Teignbridge was effectively redundant, and so the railway company was not required to maintain it.However, the section up to Graving Dock lock was retained, so that users of the canal could still repair their barges, and it was at this point that the new dock was constructed which gave the Graving Dock lock its name. The canal was almost immediately leased to Watts, Blake and Co., a company who sank clay-pits.

 

The canal passed into the ownership of the Great Western Railway in 1877, but continued to be leased to Watts, Blake and Co., who paid a fixed price for its use, and were also required to maintain it. Traffic dwindled and finally ceased in 1937, but Watts, Blake and Company's latest 14-year lease did not end until 1942,and so it was not formally abandoned until March 1943. It remained in water until 1951, when one of the banks was breached, flooding a clay pit..

© Wikipedia

  

Stover Canal Trust Website

motorchase.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Datsun-redi-GO-...

 

A new segment A car for Brazil (and possibly for more markets) and a new segment A car for India (and possibly for more markets). April 14 will be known as segment A day with the presentation of the Fiat Mobi and the Datsun redi-GO, Nissan’s version for the Renault Kwid. It shares with its...

 

motorchase.com/en/2016/04/segment-day-new-datsun-redi-go/

Court Street, Middlebury, Vermont USA • Clinton Smith, architect / builder. • Queen Anne style, brick, gable roof, 2-1/2 stories. Features: transom, Italianate porch, side tower, distinct dormer, cupola, finials, segmented arch windows, stained glass, decorative brickwork, distinctive lintels, Palladian window. ∞ Now owned by Middlebury College, and used as offices.

 

Clinton Smith (1846-1905) was a prolific Victorian Era builder and architect. The vast majority of his extant work has shaped the town of Middlebury, and centers in Addison County, Vermont.

 

☞ This structure is part of the Middlebury Village Historic District, as listed on the National Register of Historic Places (#76000223), since 1976.

 

☞ This structure is listed on the Vermont State Register of Historic Places. Source: Data excerpts from "The Historic Architecture of Addison County: including a listing of the Vermont State Register of Historic Places"; Vermont Division of Historic Preservation; Curtis B. Johnson, Editor; © 1992.

 

See a custom Google Map with geolocations for all these Clinton Smith related sites.

Statutory Address: BRIDGE AT TEIGNBRIDGE CROSSING, TEIGNBRIDGE CROSSING

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1334129

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Teigngrace

National Grid Reference: SX 85654 73308

Details: TEIGNGRACE TEIGNBRIDGE CROSSING SX 87 SE

 

8/228 Bridge at Teignbridge - Crossing 23.8.55 - II

 

Road bridge over Stover Canal. Dated 1798. Coursed stone to impost level with rusticated stone jambs. Flemish bond buff-coloured brick above. Segmental brick arch with yellow terracotta keystones with goats head mask on north side and Neptune mask on south side. Brick string course at road level and pilaster strips flanking in abutments. Brick parapets with rounded granite coping. Parapet appears to be rebuilt on the south side. Tablet at centre of north parapet inscribed:- "Erected by order of Thomas Taylor Esq., Thomas Love Esq., Thomas Kitson and Rev.B.W.Wrey. Magistrates of this County 1798". 2 pairs of cast iron circular moulded tie plates in the spandrels. Stover Canal was built by James Templer of Stover House q.v. 1790-92, the engineer was Thomas Gray of Exeter. It was improved by George Templer in 1824 when the locks were rebuilt in granite. The canal was nearly 2 miles long and joined the River Teign at Jetty Marsh near Newton Abbot where barges passed through the dredged Whitelake Channel to the estuary of the River Teign. The canal was a private venture and was built to transport Haytor granite after the Haytor granite tramway had been built in 1820. Reference: Charles Hadfield, The Canals of South West England, pp.118 to 122.

 

Listing NGR: SX8565473308

  

The Stover Canal is a canal located in Devon, England. It was opened in 1792 and served the ball clay industry until it closed in the early 1940s. Today it is derelict, but the Stover Canal Society is aiming to restore it and reopen it to navigation.

 

The canal was built at a time when the ball clay industry was expanding, but transport of the bulky product was difficult. James Templer (1748–1813) of Stover House, Teigngrace, saw this as an opportunity, and began to construct the canal at his own expense in January 1790. He planned to reach Bovey Tracey, passing through Jewsbridge, near Heathfield en route, and to construct a branch to Chudleigh. Having invested over £1,000 in the project, he sought an Act of Parliament which would allow him to raise more capital, but although the Act was passed on 11 June 1792, he did not invoke its powers, as the canal had already reached Ventiford, Teigngrace and he did not extend it further.

 

As built, the canal was 1.7 miles (2.7 km) long and included five locks. It was supplied with water from three feeders, one from Ventiford Brook, a stream which also supplies Stover Lake (now in Stover Country Park) and one from the River Bovey at Jewsbridge, both of which fed the top pound, and one from the River Teign at Fishwick, which entered the canal just below lock 4. The exit from the canal was on to the tidal Whitelake channel, and from there to the River Teign and the docks. The first three locks did not originally have side walls, but used earth banks instead, which were replaced with timber or brick walls in due course. The Graving Dock lock was only 56 ft (17 m) long, and so could take a single barge, but all the others were long enough to take two barges end to end. The first Jetty Marsh lock was much bigger, at 215 ft long and 45 ft wide (65m by 13.7m), but carries the inscription Duke of Somerset, 1841, and so it would appear that it was reconstructed as a basin, so that barges could wait in it for the tide. The Graving Dock lock is probably unique in the United Kingdom, in that it was reconstructed with a dock at its side, which could be used as a dry dock when the lock was empty. Both Jetty Marsh lock and Graving Dock lock are currently Grade 2 listed.

Having invested most of his capital in the project, James Templer was rewarded by the success of the canal. A major contract with Josiah Wedgwood and Sons was re-established in 1798. Wedgwood remained the major recipient of the ball clay until 1815, after which trade was established with other pottery manufacturers and other ports.

 

Route of the canal in relation to other relevant features

James' son, George Templer built the Haytor Granite Tramway to connect his granite quarries at Haytor Rocks to the canal basin at Ventiford. It opened on 16 September 1820,and for the next 40 years, the traffic in granite supplemented the ball clay trade. The canal was sold in 1829 by George Templer, along with the Stover estate and the quarries and tramway, to Edward St Maur, 11th Duke of Somerset (1775-1855).When plans to build the Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway were proposed, his son the 12th Duke of Somerset, who by then had inherited the Stover estate, sought to sell both the canal and the trackbed of the derelict Granite Tramway to the fledgling railway company.It was duly sold for £8,000 on 4 June 1862, by which time the section above Teignbridge was effectively redundant, and so the railway company was not required to maintain it.However, the section up to Graving Dock lock was retained, so that users of the canal could still repair their barges, and it was at this point that the new dock was constructed which gave the Graving Dock lock its name. The canal was almost immediately leased to Watts, Blake and Co., a company who sank clay-pits.

 

The canal passed into the ownership of the Great Western Railway in 1877, but continued to be leased to Watts, Blake and Co., who paid a fixed price for its use, and were also required to maintain it. Traffic dwindled and finally ceased in 1937, but Watts, Blake and Company's latest 14-year lease did not end until 1942,and so it was not formally abandoned until March 1943. It remained in water until 1951, when one of the banks was breached, flooding a clay pit..

© Wikipedia

  

Stover Canal Trust Website

1 2 ••• 16 17 19 21 22 ••• 79 80