View allAll Photos Tagged mining
[This is a late addition to my album “Wood & Lyme Pits, Haydock”. To see it in context, click here.]
13 men died as a result of the explosion at Lyme Pit on 26 February 1930. 5 were killed in the explosion itself and 8 died later from shock due to severe burns. The mines inspector concluded that the incident “was due to the firing of a shot in contravention of the provisions of Clause 6(d) of the Explosives in Coal Mines Order of 1st September, 1913, as amended”. For this he felt that inadequate supervision by managers had been partly to blame.
A detailed account is given in “Hell Under Haydock: The Lyme Pit Explosion, Haydock, Lancashire, 26th February 1930” by Ian Winstanley (Landy Publishing 2000). A full transcript of the Mines Inspector's report begins here.
On 16 September 1949 another explosion occurred during operations to seal off the worked-out Lyme Pit No. 1. Two members of Mines Rescue Team summoned to go down the pit were overcome by gas and died. Two other members of the Team were decorated for their actions. A description of the circumstances accompanies official notification of the awards in the Supplement to the London Gazette, 7 February 1950.
Full Quality Version available at: Download TIFF from MAGIC
Title: Atlas accompanying volume III on Mining industry / United States Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel; Clarence King, Geologist in charge.
Conference: United States Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel (1867-1881)
Other title: Mining industry atlas
Publisher: New York : J. Bien, [187-?].
Subjects: Mines and mineral resources --United States --Maps.
Location: Babbidge Map Library Double Oversize-NonCirculating-Level 4
Call Number: G1201.H1 U53 1870
Full Quality Version available at: Download TIFF from MAGIC
Title: Atlas accompanying volume III on Mining industry / United States Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel; Clarence King, Geologist in charge.
Conference: United States Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel (1867-1881)
Other title: Mining industry atlas
Publisher: New York : J. Bien, [187-?].
Subjects: Mines and mineral resources --United States --Maps.
Location: Babbidge Map Library Double Oversize-NonCirculating-Level 4
Call Number: G1201.H1 U53 1870
Located on part of the now closed North Staffordshire Coal Field – the Apedale Country Park is a fine example of nature reclaiming industrial sites. The history of the site is celebrated in the Mining Museum – free of charge. The Moseley Railway Trust also found a home there for their collection of 2 foot gauge railways. Their steam fleet includes a Kerr Stuart Tatoo class 0-4-2T “Stanhope” and a Joffre 0-6-0T. The latter stars when the annual “Tracks to the Trenches” festival takes place with suitably dressed cast, train loads and replica trenches.
The Mining Museum is well worth a visit – Coal power drove the Potteries. Large chunks of NCB equipment await restoration whilst providing a home for blackberries.
The Apedale Country Park is located in the D formed by the M6 between junctions 15 and 16 and the A500 Stoke on Trent relief road. It is accessed from the A34.
Gem mining sluice
New France hamlet, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Williamsburg, VA
A large gem mining sluice activity was built in winter 2016 in front of Trapper Dave's General Store, replacing a much smaller one that can be seen in this photo.
Jonathan Moore; MD of Mining Indaba officially opening the Investing in African Mining Indaba conference.
Statue of a miner – High Street, Coalville,
Inscribed: “This memorial is dedicated to all miners of Leicestershire who gave their lives winning the coal.”
Erected exactly 100 years after the Whitwick pit disaster 19 April 1898 when 35 miners were killed by an underground fire.
Sculpted by Judith Holmes Drewry and founded by Le Blanc Fine Arts, Saxby
Silicon bronze
1996
The Colliery
The Lady Victoria Colliery, home of the National Mining Museum Scotland, was opened in 1895 as Scotland’s first super-pit. It ceased production in 1981 and now serves as an example of one of the best preserved Victorian Collieries in Europe. The four-acre Midlothian site effectively captures the developments in mining over generations and highlights include the most powerful steam winding engine in Scotland; the most extensive preserved suite of Lancashire Boilers in the UK, and the only extant timber Dredger in Europe.
The public areas of the Museum occupy a small proportion of the site and are the result of successive programmes of Heritage Lottery Fund, European Regional Development Fund and Historic Scotland capital development. A Grade ‘A’ listed site, the terrain bears the scars of industrial development, environmental exploitation and exposure to the elements. The majority of the surface structures are composed of brick, steel and iron and, despite their architectural significance, some remain in a derelict state.
Ground plan of the Lady Victoria colliery, Newton Grange Midlothian Scotland.
Banská štôlňa Kilián
Gold digging in Magurka began about the year 1250. The village was famous throughout the Austro-Hungarian monarchy for its deposits of gold ore. The mines are located above the village, in the northern slopes of Latiborská hoľa, in altitude from 1100 to 1400 m.
An old mining adit Kilián, founded in 1835 was the longest adit in the whole Magurka ore field. Extends 3674 meters below the ridge of Latiborská hoľa and was the main adit on which the other adits were connected.
Banská štôlňa Kilián bola založená roku 1835 a bola najdlhšou zo všetkých štôlní magurského banského systému. Siahala 3674 metrov pod Latiborskú hoľu a bola hlavnou štôlňou na ktorú sa napájali aj ostatné štôlne. V súčasnosti všetky štôlne v tejto lokalite sú buď v zlom technickom stave, kvôli svojmu veku, alebo sú úplne zavalené.
Another chamber in the mine.
Note the large area cleared of
ore.
In the middle of the chamber is the tunnel where I have just entered the chamber.
Home to the magnificent preserved winding engine and engine house and the headgear. the headgear is an 'at risk' structure. Probably the friendliest museum me and Brooklyn have ever visited. A lot of the colliery undeground engines were covered up for the winter but we will be going back next summer
Watching the engine running on compressed air was really impressive and you can see how it developed over 3,000 HP