View allAll Photos Tagged mill
from the 1800's. It had a horizontally spinning wheel instead of a vertically spinning wheel. The wheel broke multiple times after not being able to withstand the forces of sping floods
The Mill was built circa 1763. Construction is Stone and Rubble with Slate Roof. The Mill was used for processing corn and worked until at least the early 1960s.
A dated inset lintel is above and to the left of the main south facing door.. Most of the wood is pine. An even older Mill probably built in wood was on the site prior to the stone building.
The Mill had an internal wheel which drew its power from the water of East Fannyside Loch. The origonal laid (the water course from loch to mill) is still intact.
The internal wheel was apparently sold to scrap merchants in the 1970s or 1980s.
Much of the internal running gear is still inside the Barn and the Corn bruiser is still present.
The origonal grindstone is also intact. The bottom stone is imbedded into the floor of Mill. The wheel marks can also be seen clearly on the walls.
Once used to wear down and soften newly spun cloth, milling frolics are now a powerful form of entertainment. Gaelic songs are song to the beat of the cloth as the staff at Highland Village Museum carry on this tradition.
**Dungan's Mill and Stone House** - National Register of Historic Places Ref # 73001854, date listed 19730702
NE of Johnson City on Watauga Rd.
Johnson City, TN (Washington County)
The St. John Milling Company still contains within its expanded walls the original mill built in the 1770s. Built on Brush Creek, near Watauga, the original mill was powered by a sixteen foot high wooden overshot waterwheel. Although the wooden wheel and machinery have been replaced with modern machinery, and the new additions have made the original structure difficult to see on the exterior, the mill has remained in operation continuously since it was built.
Directly across the road from the mill is a three-story limestone house built by Jeremiah Dungan, builder of the mill. The house is a late eighteenth century structure that is said to have been built with stones from one of the Watauga forts.
Dungan's Mill and house were built by Jeremiah Dungan while the site was in the State of North Carolina. He came from Virginia west of the mountains and built his grist mill by 1778 while the Indians were still roaming in the area. The mill is very near Watauga, the site where the Watauga Association was formed. The Watauga Association is recognized as the first government organized of free and independent men in America. (1)
References (1) NRHP Nomination Form npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/73001854.pdf
Gomez Mill Water.
Taken using a Canon Rebel XT
Tamron 24-70mm Lens
focal length: 43mm
ISO 100
Aperture: f/18.0
Shutter: 1/30
Lob Lane Mill, (Veveers Mill as it was locally known), was built in various stages between 1844 and 1879. It's canal side location was ideal for the steam power that provided power for the great weaving machines that would have clanked and grinded away on the lovely curved floors of the mill. Remains of more modern industry are scattered around some offices. Underneath the mill are the cellars, carved by hand out of the rock. Originally they were used for brewing, the beer brewed using the water from the natural spring under here.
Original Photo by Alan Cleaver.
Alan left a comment on his original photo saying if anyone wanted to do a B&W version of his original shot, they could and then upload the results, I don't know if Darren meant an even more contrasty finish than above, but here's my version!
This is the interior of an old Mill in the village of Zeliv, CZ. Converted to B&W in Photoshop Camera Raw and then the figure (from RAW exchange) was added.
On the ground floor of the mill.
Taken during London Open House 2018
House Mill
The Worlds largest tidal mill. 5-storey, timber-framed, brick-clad timber watermill with four waterwheels, originally built 1776 to mill grain for distillery trade. Operational until 1940. On historic 3 Mills Site.
History
The House Mill was built in 1776 by Daniel Bisson, on the site of an earlier mill and between two houses occupied by the miller and his family, hence its name. The Clock Mill opposite was rebuilt in 1817. There was also a third mill, a windmill, which survived until about 1840. The House Mill continued to operate until 1941 and the Clock Mill until 1952.
Restoration
In 1989 work began on the House Mill and the fabric of the Mill has been fully restored. As part of the work to restore the site, the Miller’s House, which had been demolished in the late 1950s, was reconstructed in 1993/4. The façade was rebuilt to the 1763 design with reused 18th century bricks. Using many of the original materials recovered from the bombed site, the ground floor of the Miller’s House has been reconstructed as original, whilst the rest of the building is a new structure.
The Miller’s House provides a visitor, information, and education centre, with meeting rooms for hire and a small cafe. It was funded by the European Union. In 1996 it won a Civic Trust Commendation for outstanding architecture.
The garden was laid out to include a combination of design suggestions by pupils of Sarah Bonnell School, and includes original kitchen garden plants and a herb garden.
[Open House website]
The area known as Three Mills Island is a stretch of land surrounded by three channels of the ancient River Lea. There have been mills in this area for many centuries – according to the Domesday Survey, there were at least eight mills here at that point in time. Over time, wind power was used to drive mills with the addition of windmills. But, this area remains, perhaps, best known for its tidal mills. It was to become the home of the biggest tidal mill in the world.
The mills on this site were historically able to take advantage of the tidal flow of the river up to the Thames Estuary and the local Bow Creek. During its heyday, the mills here could work for up to eight hours in each tide, allowing them to become major producers in London.
In medieval times, Three Mills was the main producer of flour for local bakers who baked bread for the city. The mills here also had other uses, however, and at least one was a gunpowder mill. The site was largely developed in the 1720s when it was purchased by a group of local residents, including Peter Lefevre, a Huguenot refugee from France.
In the 1770s, the owners built the current House Mill building. Its name was derived from its location between two houses for staff who worked on the site as millers. The second of the mills, the Clock Mill, was constructed in 1817 and the third was a windmill. This site was a thriving concern in the 18th century. As well as the mills that worked on site, the owners also ran a distillery and piggery and employed many local people.
The House Mill was damaged by a fire in 1802 and needed to be partly rebuilt. Bombing during the Second World War effectively closed the site down in terms of milling production. The last of the mills to be in operation was the House Mill itself, which was ultimately shut down in 1941. This building now has a Grade I listing.
[EastLondonHistory website]
Looking down the line towards weymouth. Very strong anaglyph but it takes a while for your eyes to adjust to it
The 1880’s Steam Incorporating Mills.
Underfloor gear room and blast proof walls remain. A raised wooden floor would have been near to today’s foot level where materials would have been taken in from the tramway. Each bay had a pair of iron edge -runner millstones mounted above the remaining engine bases.
Lightweight roofing and front screens were designed to direct any blast away from the building and machinery within. A drenching mechanism was put in place that automatically doused all bays in the event of an explosion in any of the others. The first RSJs (Rolled Steel Joists) in the UK were used in it's construction.