View allAll Photos Tagged indication
The Thirtieth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from November 4 to November 8, 2013.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Thirty-Eighth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from October 30 to November 2, 2017.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Thirty-Fifth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from April 25 to April 27, 2016.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
Indications of a Successful Walk
~Muddy Feet
~Sheltie Smile
~Tongue hanging
Maverick is my fourth sheltie in my lifetime (wow that's hard to believe!) The sheltie is my heart breed, if I have anything to say about it I will always have one or more. It doesn't bother me that they tend to bark, and have a lot of hair. To me they have a lot to say and a beautiful coat. Maverick is my first show prospect, though he like all before grew too tall. His official name is Akadia Steel N Hearts. We hope to enter some agility trials this year, he is going to be a LOT of fun!
The Twenty-ninth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from May 27 to May 31, 2013.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
Under Mary I, Sir Gawen Carew (c.1503-85) was one of the west country gentlemen who disliked government policy and resented Spanish influence, though there is no indication that his name was removed from the lists of gentlemen pensioners, even when, following Sir Peter Carew’s implication in Wyatt’s rebellion of 1554, he was put in the Tower on a charge of treason. After an absence from Parliament during Mary’s reign, he came in for Plympton Erle in Elizabeth’s first House of Commons, probably through the intervention of the end Earl of Bedford. In the following Parliament Carew was elected for the county. His only recorded parliamentary activity in his two Elizabethan Parliaments is his membership of the succession committee, 31 Oct. 1566.
With the Earl of Bedford and Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, Carew was active at the beginning of Elizabeth’s reign in helping to strengthen the new Queen’s position on the throne, he and his third wife receiving as reward in 1565 an annuity of 100 marks in survivorship. Though his name still appears on a Household list in 1559, he resided in the west country, where he was one of the radical protestants associated with the Earl of Bedford. On one occasion he and his nephew Sir Peter were together responsible at Exeter for escorting the bishop of Exeter, the ‘earnest preacher’ William Alley, to the pulpit and guarding him against the citizens, who disliked his ‘much inveighing against false doctrines’. Alley appointed both Carews overseers of his will.
Carew’s connexions with Exeter were close. In 1562 he wrote to the mayor recommending ‘my man’ for the post of keeper of the cloth hall; the following year he bought the wardship of an Exeter heir; in 1574 he was granted an annual fee of £2 by the city; and a year or so later he was authorized by the Exchequer to search into the import of wines at Exeter. When he superintended the execution of an order relating to the harbour controversy there, he was given a hogshead of wine by the city. His brother George became dean of Exeter.
In his will, made 11 Oct. 1582, Carew named Bedford as ‘ruler and overseer’, bequeathing him a cup of silver gilt ‘in token of the great love and good will that I have borne and do bear unto his lordship’. Carew left his lands, after the death of the widow, the executrix, to a relative, George Carew of Laughline, Ireland. The will was proved 30 June 1585.
Sir Peter Carew was an English soldier who was slain at the Battle of Glenmalure in Ireland. He was a member of a prominent Devonshire gentry family. He is sometimes referred to as Sir Peter Carew the younger, to distinguish him from his first cousin Sir Peter Carew of Mohuns Ottery, Luppitt, Devon. Wikipedia
Carew is associated with An extravagant two-tiered tomb monument in the Chapel of St John the Evangelist in Exeter Cathedral, of which the primary commemorative subjects are his uncle, Sir Gawen Carew (c.1508–1584), and Sir Gawen's third wife, Elizabeth née Norwich (d. 1594), a Lady of the Bedchamber to Elizabeth I. (Sir Gawen’s second wife Mary is wrongly identified on the plaque accompanying the tomb.) The monument was erected in 1589, and heavily restored in 1857. In addition to effigies of Sir Gawen and Elizabeth, it displays much strapwork decoration and heraldry, including 27 shields containing 52 distinct coats of arms marshalled in a total of 359 impalements and quarterings. The whole forms "an elaborate shrine to Carew ancestry and kinship".
A prominent Latin inscription formerly on the monument's pediment explicitly commemorated Sir Peter, but is now lost. It began "Hic scitus est praeter nobilis vir Petrus Carew eques Auratus ..." ("Here too lies the illustrious man Peter Carew, knight ..."), raising the possibility that his body, or some token part of it, was recovered from the battlefield at Glenmalure and returned to Exeter for burial.
A third effigy, occupying a recess at the base of the monument, is dressed in armour and posed in a cross-legged attitude suggestive of the 14th century; and it has long been believed that this represents Sir Peter in the guise of a fallen warrior. The identification is supported by another painted inscription, which survives in restored form running around three sides of the cornice, and which alludes to "... Sir Peter Carew Knyght, under figured ...". However, the inscription is not original to the monument (it can date from no earlier than 1605), and it now appears considerably more likely that the cross-legged figure was intended to represent Adam Montgomery de Carew, the semi-legendary progenitor of the Carew family.
The Forty-Fifth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from March 28 to March 30, 2022.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Volvo XC70 comes with a factory fitted dog guard. This gives an indication of the sort of people they are targeting sales at... or appealing to the sort of people who aspire to an outdoor lifestyle.
The guard is probably a good idea even if you don't carry a Dog - boot carried items can turn into missiles in a crash.
Anyway, it is an excellent piece of equipment - it can be completely removed quickly, or folded up into the headlining being kept in place by 2 gas struts.
However, we have agreed that there is no way that our filthy friend is going to have free reign over the entire boot... especially after going for a swim and splashing through dirty puddles. And when you open the boot, unless a dog is tied in they are free to do whatever they want to do, not ideal on a busy road. So, he needs containing.
There are many systems on the market. Some are very expensive but well engineered - the downside is they are heavy (+16kg for a single carrier) so when it comes to removing them, say for example you want to go shopping or need to lug something bulky its not easy.
With all this in mind we have selected this, a German manufactured Tixie Skudo in size 'M'. This is designed primarily as an airline approved carrier, but can be used for other purposes. It weighs very little so can be removed easily (the specification sheet says 7.2kg, but it feels lighter for some reason).
Our dog is quite large, but easily fits inside with enough room to turn round and lie down. There is plenty of ventilation. Most trips are under 30 minutes with him.
Here we have just picked it up, assembled it and he's in it for the first time. No problems. I just need to engineer some form of system to keep it firmly in place in case of sudden car movement.
Manufacturers website:
www.trixie.de/heimtierbedarf/en/shop/Hund/Unterwegs/Trans...
We bought it here:
www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/trixie-skudo-carrier-for-...
With this now sorted I can get on and sell our 16 year old, 190,000 mile V70, any takers?
The Postcard
A postally unused postcard bearing no studio name. There are no indications as to the identity of the individuals or the date and location of the photograph.
Ariel Motorcycles
The motorbike in the photograph is an Ariel. It has what is now a rare sight on British roads - a sidecar.
Ariel Motorcycles was a British maker of motorcycles in Bournbrook, Birmingham. The company was an innovator in British motorcycling.
Ariel was sold to BSA in 1951, but the brand survived until 1967. The last motorcycle-type vehicle to carry the Ariel name was a short-lived three-wheel tilting moped in 1970.
Ariel made bicycles before making motorcycles, and also made cars. Car production began in 1902, moved to Coventry in 1911, and ceased in 1925.
The 'Ariel' name was re-used in 1999 for the formation of Ariel Ltd., a sports car producer.
History of Ariel Motorcycles
-- Bicycles and Early Motorised Vehicles
The original company was established in 1870 by James Starley and William Hillman. They built wire-spoke wheels under the first British patent; this allowed them also to build a lighter "penny farthing" bicycle which they named 'Ariel' (the spirit of the air).
They put the Ariel name on the factory where they made penny-farthing bicycles and sewing machines. In 1885 James Starley's nephew, John Kemp Starley, invented the Rover Safety Bicycle - a bicycle with similarly sized wheels and chain drive to the rear wheel, the design used on bicycles today.
Ariel merged with Westwood Manufacturing in 1896 and made a powered tricycle in 1898 with a 2.25 hp de Dion. Hillman left soon afterwards to found Premier Motorcycles.
More tricycles were produced, and motorised quadricycles were added in 1901 as Ariel moved into car production.
-- Motorcycles
In 1902, Ariel produced its first motorcycle, which had a Kerry engine with a magneto ignition and a float carburettor. That year, Ariel was taken over by Components Ltd., owned by Charles Sangster. Sangster built a three-speed, two-stroke motorcycle sold as the "Arielette", but he stopped production on the outbreak of the Great War.
In 1918, Sangster's son Jack began managing the Ariel division of Components Ltd., and developed a successful motorcycle with a 4 hp White and Poppe engine. Jack increased the range of motorcycles to include 586 cc and 992 cc machines.
A range of motorcycles was made until 1926 with engines bought in or assembled to others' designs, until a new designer, Val Page, joined Ariel from JAP. That year Page created a pair of new engines which used many existing motorcycle parts, then redesigned the motorcycle for 1927.
These new models were known as Black Ariels (1926–1930) and were the basis on which all Ariel four-stroke singles were based until their demise in 1959 (except the LH Colt of the mid-1950's).
During the Black Ariel period, the Ariel horse logo came into being, as did the slogan 'The Modern Motor Cycle'.
Ariel Motors
Components Ltd. suffered several financial crises, including spells in receivership in 1911 and in the early 1930's. In 1932, Components Ltd. went bankrupt, and Jack Sangster, Charles Sangster's son, bought the Ariel subsidiary from the receivers at a bargain price.
The company was renamed Ariel Motors (J.S.) Ltd, and promptly resumed production. A new factory was set up at Selly Oak in Birmingham. One of their first bikes was the Ariel Square Four, designed by Edward Turner, followed by the Ariel Red Hunter. The Red Hunter was a success, and enabled Ariel to purchase Triumph.
The Ariel Square Four with a 500 cc engine designed by Edward Turner first appeared for the 1931 season. Around this time the company went into receivership and then a new company was formed. The Square Four displacement was increased to 600cc.
Throughout their history, the Square Fours had overheating problems with the rear cylinders which resulted in distorted heads. A redesign in 1937 resulted in a 995 cc OHV version designated the 4G.
During the Second World War, the Ariel factory was turned over to military production, including the Ariel W/NG 350 army motorcycle based on the Red Hunter but with higher ground clearance.
In 1949, the Mark 1 Square Four had cast aluminium barrels and heads instead of cast iron. With the lower weight the bike was a 90 mph plus machine.
BSA
In 1951, Jack Sangster sold Ariel and Triumph (bought in 1936) to the Birmingham Small Arms Company group (BSA) and joined their board. Ariel began making the 500 cc KH model and the 650 cc Huntmaster, which had an engine based on the BSA A10 parallel twin. Reliable and capable of 100 miles per hour (160 km/h), the Huntmaster proved popular with sidecar enthusiasts.
In 1953, the Mark 2 Square Four had a redesigned cylinder head, and was capable of 100 mph.
The Red Hunter formed the basis for Sammy Miller's 1955 trials motorcycle which proved very successful in competition.
By 1956, Sangster was voted in as the new Chairman, defeating incumbent Sir Bernard Docker 6 to 3. Sangster promptly made Edward Turner head of the automotive division, which then included Ariel, Triumph, and BSA motorcycles, as well as Daimler and Carbodies (the manufacturer of London Taxicabs).
Two-Strokes and Demise
In 1959, Ariel dropped its four-stroke engines and produced the Ariel Leader, a fully enclosed 250 cc two-stroke with a fully faired body from the headlamp aft. The Leader aimed to combine the benefits of the motorcycle with the advantages of a scooter.
Ariel also made the Arrow, a more open version of the Leader which kept the Leader's enclosed chain case and deep mudguards. Both models were an unsuccessful attempt to compete with new Japanese imports.
BSA closed the Ariel factory at Selly Oak in 1962 and moved production of the Leader and the Arrow to the BSA factory at Small Heath. Production of the 50 cc Pixie began in 1963.
In 1965, Ariel produced its last motorcycle, the Arrow 200 with capacity reduced to 200 cc in order to qualify for lower UK rider insurance.
Ariel motorcycles ceased production in 1967.
Later Use of the Ariel Name
In 1970, parent company BSA produced the Ariel 3, a 49 cc automatic tricycle with a coupling between the front and rear frame sections allowing banking when cornering.
The front half was hinged to the rear, and could tilt into corners while keeping all three wheels on the ground. The design was licensed from George Wallis who had patented it in 1966.
Following the failure of the Ariel 3, the design was licensed to Honda which produced it as the Honda Gyro. A small museum dedicated to the trike has been established in Bristol, England.
In 1999 a new company was formed using the old 'Ariel' name. Initially, the Ariel Motor Company made only one model, the Atom, a high performance, minimalistic 2-seat road-legal sports car, followed by a large-capacity motorcycle named the Ariel Ace.
An exhibition co-organized by WIPO and Turkey was held on the sidelines of the WIPO Assemblies, which met in Geneva from October 3 to 11, 2016.
The event entitled “Turkish Culture and Geographical Indications” showcased a snapshot of Turkey’s rich culture and geographical indications and was inaugurated on October 4, 2016.
It featured examples of Turkey’s protected geographic indications, including Afyon marble, Antep Kutnu cloth, Gaziantep mother-of-pearl inlaying and Safranbolu Turkish delight. The inauguration also featured a performance of traditional Turkish music.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Violaine Martin. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
Signal indications used at turnouts (aka points or junctions) in NSW can be inconsistent. Here the signal is cleared to exit the up refuge and return to the up main line at Sulphide Junction. There is only one possible route here, to the main line on the right (the line ahead is only an emergency run-off, provided in case a train should pass the signal at stop). Even so, a turnout indication is displayed (caution-turnout - the route is set via points to the right and the next signal may be at stop).
The Forty-Fifth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from March 28 to March 30, 2022.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Twenty-ninth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from May 27 to May 31, 2013.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
An indication of the freight traffic through Shrewsbury c1991 and what we've lost. Added to this the local hauled North and West, Cambrian and London passenger trains, the various postal trains and the numerous engineering trains. Oh for just a little bit of this now, allbeit NOT with 66s!!
The Thirty-Fourth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from November 16 to November 18, 2015.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Thirty-Fifth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from April 25 to April 27, 2016.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Thirty-Fifth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from April 25 to April 27, 2016.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Thirty-Fourth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from November 16 to November 18, 2015.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
Under Mary I, Sir Gawen Carew (c.1503-85) was one of the west country gentlemen who disliked government policy and resented Spanish influence, though there is no indication that his name was removed from the lists of gentlemen pensioners, even when, following Sir Peter Carew’s implication in Wyatt’s rebellion of 1554, he was put in the Tower on a charge of treason. After an absence from Parliament during Mary’s reign, he came in for Plympton Erle in Elizabeth’s first House of Commons, probably through the intervention of the end Earl of Bedford. In the following Parliament Carew was elected for the county. His only recorded parliamentary activity in his two Elizabethan Parliaments is his membership of the succession committee, 31 Oct. 1566.
With the Earl of Bedford and Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, Carew was active at the beginning of Elizabeth’s reign in helping to strengthen the new Queen’s position on the throne, he and his third wife receiving as reward in 1565 an annuity of 100 marks in survivorship. Though his name still appears on a Household list in 1559, he resided in the west country, where he was one of the radical protestants associated with the Earl of Bedford. On one occasion he and his nephew Sir Peter were together responsible at Exeter for escorting the bishop of Exeter, the ‘earnest preacher’ William Alley, to the pulpit and guarding him against the citizens, who disliked his ‘much inveighing against false doctrines’. Alley appointed both Carews overseers of his will.
Carew’s connexions with Exeter were close. In 1562 he wrote to the mayor recommending ‘my man’ for the post of keeper of the cloth hall; the following year he bought the wardship of an Exeter heir; in 1574 he was granted an annual fee of £2 by the city; and a year or so later he was authorized by the Exchequer to search into the import of wines at Exeter. When he superintended the execution of an order relating to the harbour controversy there, he was given a hogshead of wine by the city. His brother George became dean of Exeter.
In his will, made 11 Oct. 1582, Carew named Bedford as ‘ruler and overseer’, bequeathing him a cup of silver gilt ‘in token of the great love and good will that I have borne and do bear unto his lordship’. Carew left his lands, after the death of the widow, the executrix, to a relative, George Carew of Laughline, Ireland. The will was proved 30 June 1585.
Sir Peter Carew was an English soldier who was slain at the Battle of Glenmalure in Ireland. He was a member of a prominent Devonshire gentry family. He is sometimes referred to as Sir Peter Carew the younger, to distinguish him from his first cousin Sir Peter Carew of Mohuns Ottery, Luppitt, Devon. Wikipedia
Carew is associated with An extravagant two-tiered tomb monument in the Chapel of St John the Evangelist in Exeter Cathedral, of which the primary commemorative subjects are his uncle, Sir Gawen Carew (c.1508–1584), and Sir Gawen's third wife, Elizabeth née Norwich (d. 1594), a Lady of the Bedchamber to Elizabeth I. (Sir Gawen’s second wife Mary is wrongly identified on the plaque accompanying the tomb.) The monument was erected in 1589, and heavily restored in 1857. In addition to effigies of Sir Gawen and Elizabeth, it displays much strapwork decoration and heraldry, including 27 shields containing 52 distinct coats of arms marshalled in a total of 359 impalements and quarterings. The whole forms "an elaborate shrine to Carew ancestry and kinship".
A prominent Latin inscription formerly on the monument's pediment explicitly commemorated Sir Peter, but is now lost. It began "Hic scitus est praeter nobilis vir Petrus Carew eques Auratus ..." ("Here too lies the illustrious man Peter Carew, knight ..."), raising the possibility that his body, or some token part of it, was recovered from the battlefield at Glenmalure and returned to Exeter for burial.
A third effigy, occupying a recess at the base of the monument, is dressed in armour and posed in a cross-legged attitude suggestive of the 14th century; and it has long been believed that this represents Sir Peter in the guise of a fallen warrior. The identification is supported by another painted inscription, which survives in restored form running around three sides of the cornice, and which alludes to "... Sir Peter Carew Knyght, under figured ...". However, the inscription is not original to the monument (it can date from no earlier than 1605), and it now appears considerably more likely that the cross-legged figure was intended to represent Adam Montgomery de Carew, the semi-legendary progenitor of the Carew family.
History of Kraków
First indications of the existence of Krakow approximately stem from the 7th century. In the next following centuries the tribe of Vistulans (Wislanie) populated Krakow, after they centuries ago in the as "Lesser Poland" or Malopolska known region had settled down. From the year 965 stems the first document from Krakow, as Abraham ben Jacob of Cordova, a Jewish merchant, in his book referred to the trading center of Krakow.
In 1000, the Diocese of Krakow was founded and in 1038 declared capital of the Piast dynasty. The Wawel castle and several churches were built in the 11th century and thus the town rapidly grew. 1241 the Mongols invaded the city and burned down Krakow without exception. 1138 Krakow became the seat of the senior prince. 1257 Kraków was awarded its town charter and a city map was drawn up, which remained until today. This one included the arrangement of the checkerboard street configuration with a centrally located market. On the market following the seat of the city government was built. From the historical trading functions until today only the Cloth Halls remained. But on the market not only trade agreements were closed but also courtly and urban festivities celebrated. Furthermore, the urban center served for executions. The defensive walls were built, which surrounded the city and linked it to the Wawel. In the south of Wawel Castle in 1335 the city of Kazimierz was created. By Royal command it was surrounded by defense walls and the churches of St. Catherine, of Corpus Christi and the "Na Skalce" were built. End of the 15th century, Jews settled the later Cracow district. 1364 the Cracow Academy of King Kazimierz Wielki was founded, the famous Polish Jagellonen-University.
With the last king of Jagellonian dynasty, Krakow flourished. The Wawel castle was rebuilt in Renaissance style, the well known Zygmunt chapel was built and the Cloth Halls as well as the patrician houses have been restored. During the reign of King Sigismund III. Vasa the baroque style received introduction in Krakow. The Baroque University Church of St. Anne and the Church of Saints Peter and Paul were built in this period. In 1607 Warsaw was declared headquarters of the King, but Krakow retained its title of the Royal capital. Furthermore, it remained the place of coronations and funerals. Middle of the 17th century, the city was devastated by the Swedes, what at the beginning of the 18th century was produced again.
After the first partition of Poland, Krakow became a frontier town. Austria declared the settlement Podgorze separated city. After the second division in 1794, began the Polish national uprising. After its decline and the third partition of Poland the town fell to the Austrians, which on Wawel Hill caused numerous devastations and adapted buildings to the wishes and needs of the Army. 1809 Cracow was affiliated to the Grand Duchy of Warsaw. After the defeat of Napoleon, Krakow in the Vienna Convention of 1815 was declared Free City of Kraków. Then the remains of folk hero Tadeusz Kosciuszko and of Prince Jozef Poniatowski were brought back to the city. 1820-1823 on the rise of St. Bronislava a hill in honor of the leader of the popular uprising was built. Instead of the city walls, which were largely destroyed, they laid out supporting beams. 1846 Krakow lost its independence and the Austrians erected again on the Wawel barracks and they surrounded the Wawel with fortification complexes. However, Austria but has proved less tyrannical and so the city enjoyed a certain degree of growing cultural and political freedom. 1918 Krakow became the independence back.
Before the outbreak of the Second World War, in Krakow lived about 260,000 inhabitants, of which 65,000 belonged to the Jewish religion. During the war, also Krakow became witness of German war crimes. The for the greater part Jewish district of Kazimierz was eradicated. The Jews from now on lived in ghettos where they either were deported from there to Auschwitz or immediately shot. In spite of the plundering of the Nazis, Krakow became no scene for military combat operations and thus the only large Polish town escaping this fate. Therefore, its old architecture still almost completely is intact.
After the surrender of Germany and the Polish liberation, hastened the Communist government to inspire the traditional life and the city with a large steel plant in Nowa Huta. But the intensive rebuilding of the economy and industry rather promoted an ecological disaster. Buildings that had survived the war undamaged were now devoured and destroyed by acid rain and toxic gases. Carbon dioxide emissions grew so powerful that this has remained a serious and grave problem of the city. After the fall of the Communists and the fall of the Iron Curtain Krakow has benefited greatly from tourism and has adapted itself to a large extent to the Western culture.
An indication of the state of the roof paintwork which is being stripped back through all the layers to bare metal. A long period of outside storage through its life is responsible for the mess
WIPO Director General Daren Tang delivers remarks at the opening of the “IP Key Role for the Post Pandemic Recovery: Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications” cultural event, co-organized by WIPO and the Government of Mexico.
Held on the sidelines of the Assemblies of the Member States of WIPO, the event included a traditional musical performance, and an exhibition showcasing Mexico’s appellations of origin and geographical indications.
The Assemblies of WIPO Member States took place in Geneva, Switzerland, from July 14-22, 2022.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
PRESSRELEASEPRESSRELEASEPRESSRELEASEPRESSRELEASEPRESSRELEASEPRESSRELEASE
25/10/09
An indication of just how sensitive the government is to any public
scrutiny or question of current native forestry policy was evidenced by
the reaction of Forest NSW yesterday to the 350 gathering in the picnic
area of FNSW Regional office.
Far south coast people joined thousands of groups world when they took
part in the 350.org International Day of Climate Action. People from
Eurobodalla and Bega Valley shires met up at the Forests NSW regional
headquarters in Batemans Bay, and the woodchipmill at Eden, to highlight
the huge greenhouse gas emissions generated by native forest logging.
The gathering was part of an international day of action organized by the
grassroots campaign 350.org to urge world leaders to support a clear
solution to the climate crisis: reducing the level of carbon dioxide in
the atmosphere to at least 350 parts per million. Millions of people
across the globe joined the most widespread day of environmental action in
history, attending over 4,000 simultaneous events in more than 187
countries.
Campaigners gathered at FNSW to highlight the fact that deforestation is
the biggest cause of climate change and has a ready solution in the
transition to plantation.
The campaigners called on the government to immediately moratoria on
logging in all native forest areas until legislation is provided to
protect these community assets.
"The forests are being logged at an unsustainable rate," Mr Tony Whan,
spokesperson for South East Forest Rescue said. "The accumulated
degradation of the RFAs must be called into account."
Moruya resident, Lisa Stone said that the number 350 stands for 350 parts
per million - the limit on the concentration of carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere many believe is needed to avoid climate havoc.
“Our leaders must act urgently if we are to achieve that, and this action
must include an end to native forest woodchipping,” she said.
"Forests NSW office became a global message board when people formed the
number 350 from woodchips to send a climate change message to world
leaders," Bega Valley Greens Councillor, Keith Hughes, said.
"An end to the intensive logging of native forests is the easiest and most
effective way to start the transition to a sustainable climate future."
Councillor Hughes said that logging to supply the Eden chipmill releases
more CO2 into the atmosphere than a large coal fired power station. "The
development proposal must be rejected if we are the seriously tackle
climate change," he said.
The event was compelled to finish before 3:50pm due to the arrival of a
State Forest officer who ordered the people to remove their banner and
leave the 'forest'. He told them to 'hurry up' as they packed, gave them
five minutes to leave the area and, when questioned as to what compartment
number the forest was, rang the police. This was only three minutes after
the order.
Police attended the event and left after speaking to the FNSW unit manager
and the campaigners who explained the legalities of 'day use area', the
Forestry Regulations concerning removal of people and 'Move-on' powers
which state people have the right to peaceful protest. The campaigners
cooperated by moving off the premises.
“The attitude displayed by forestry authorities on the day – in calling
the police, demonstrates that leadership from our governments is sadly
lacking,” Ms. Stone said.
There were no arrests.
cheers
SEFR
Main line trailing point indicator. The lunar white (pale blue) indication means that the departure end points are set for a main line movement to proceed when in possession of the proceed authority (normally a track warrant).
History of Kraków
First indications of the existence of Krakow approximately stem from the 7th century. In the next following centuries the tribe of Vistulans (Wislanie) populated Krakow, after they centuries ago in the as "Lesser Poland" or Malopolska known region had settled down. From the year 965 stems the first document from Krakow, as Abraham ben Jacob of Cordova, a Jewish merchant, in his book referred to the trading center of Krakow.
In 1000, the Diocese of Krakow was founded and in 1038 declared capital of the Piast dynasty. The Wawel castle and several churches were built in the 11th century and thus the town rapidly grew. 1241 the Mongols invaded the city and burned down Krakow without exception. 1138 Krakow became the seat of the senior prince. 1257 Kraków was awarded its town charter and a city map was drawn up, which remained until today. This one included the arrangement of the checkerboard street configuration with a centrally located market. On the market following the seat of the city government was built. From the historical trading functions until today only the Cloth Halls remained. But on the market not only trade agreements were closed but also courtly and urban festivities celebrated. Furthermore, the urban center served for executions. The defensive walls were built, which surrounded the city and linked it to the Wawel. In the south of Wawel Castle in 1335 the city of Kazimierz was created. By Royal command it was surrounded by defense walls and the churches of St. Catherine, of Corpus Christi and the "Na Skalce" were built. End of the 15th century, Jews settled the later Cracow district. 1364 the Cracow Academy of King Kazimierz Wielki was founded, the famous Polish Jagellonen-University.
With the last king of Jagellonian dynasty, Krakow flourished. The Wawel castle was rebuilt in Renaissance style, the well known Zygmunt chapel was built and the Cloth Halls as well as the patrician houses have been restored. During the reign of King Sigismund III. Vasa the baroque style received introduction in Krakow. The Baroque University Church of St. Anne and the Church of Saints Peter and Paul were built in this period. In 1607 Warsaw was declared headquarters of the King, but Krakow retained its title of the Royal capital. Furthermore, it remained the place of coronations and funerals. Middle of the 17th century, the city was devastated by the Swedes, what at the beginning of the 18th century was produced again.
After the first partition of Poland, Krakow became a frontier town. Austria declared the settlement Podgorze separated city. After the second division in 1794, began the Polish national uprising. After its decline and the third partition of Poland the town fell to the Austrians, which on Wawel Hill caused numerous devastations and adapted buildings to the wishes and needs of the Army. 1809 Cracow was affiliated to the Grand Duchy of Warsaw. After the defeat of Napoleon, Krakow in the Vienna Convention of 1815 was declared Free City of Kraków. Then the remains of folk hero Tadeusz Kosciuszko and of Prince Jozef Poniatowski were brought back to the city. 1820-1823 on the rise of St. Bronislava a hill in honor of the leader of the popular uprising was built. Instead of the city walls, which were largely destroyed, they laid out supporting beams. 1846 Krakow lost its independence and the Austrians erected again on the Wawel barracks and they surrounded the Wawel with fortification complexes. However, Austria but has proved less tyrannical and so the city enjoyed a certain degree of growing cultural and political freedom. 1918 Krakow became the independence back.
Before the outbreak of the Second World War, in Krakow lived about 260,000 inhabitants, of which 65,000 belonged to the Jewish religion. During the war, also Krakow became witness of German war crimes. The for the greater part Jewish district of Kazimierz was eradicated. The Jews from now on lived in ghettos where they either were deported from there to Auschwitz or immediately shot. In spite of the plundering of the Nazis, Krakow became no scene for military combat operations and thus the only large Polish town escaping this fate. Therefore, its old architecture still almost completely is intact.
After the surrender of Germany and the Polish liberation, hastened the Communist government to inspire the traditional life and the city with a large steel plant in Nowa Huta. But the intensive rebuilding of the economy and industry rather promoted an ecological disaster. Buildings that had survived the war undamaged were now devoured and destroyed by acid rain and toxic gases. Carbon dioxide emissions grew so powerful that this has remained a serious and grave problem of the city. After the fall of the Communists and the fall of the Iron Curtain Krakow has benefited greatly from tourism and has adapted itself to a large extent to the Western culture.
The Thirty-Sixth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from October 17 to October 19, 2016.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
An Information Session on Country Names took place during the Thirty-Ninth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT), which met in Geneva, Switzerland from April 23 to April 26, 2018.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Silverton School was built in 1889 and had several students and two teachers to a single room. An attached residence was demolished at a later date. Dame Mary Gilmore was an assistant teacher here from 1887 - 1889. With the decline in population across the Silverton township since the 1910s, the school eventually closed in 1970. A museum opened here in 2009, but with limited volunteers, the buildings purpose remains unknown.
Silverton:
The first indication of silver–lead mineralisation in the Barrier Rangers came in late 1875 with the discovery of galena by Julius Charles Nickel and Dan McLean while they were well sinking on Thackaringa Station, near the South Australian - New South Wales border.
In 1879 John Stokie established a store at Umberumberka, 19 km north of Thackaringa. He continued prospecting and discovered silver–lead veins nearby, which he pegged with Edward Pegler in November 1881. A 100 ton parcel of ore was shipped to England for a 40% profit. The following October the Umberumberka Silver Lead Mining Company Ltd was floated with nominal capital of £20 000. Umberumberka was the second area of silver–lead mineralisation discovered in the Barrier Ranges and the new company was the first to be publicly floated. The town of Silverton soon developed close to the mine and became the main settlement of the growing silver field.
Silverton was surveyed in 1883, by which time Australia had a population of 2, 250, 194. By September that year, the population of Silverton was 250, and by December 1883 it had doubled. That year the Day Dream Mine opened and attracted an additional population of 400 - 500 people. In 1884 1,222 mineral leases, 937 business permits and 114 miners' rights were issued. That same year 6,000 tonnes of ore were extracted and the town acquired its own newspaper, the Silver Age.
By 1885 - 1886 the town's population had reached 3,000. Silverton was proclaimed a township in 1885 and a municipality the following year. In 1885 a short-lived smelter was established at Day Dream Mine, operating for only a year. In 1892 the Umberumberka Mine closed, followed by the Day Dream Mine. The Pioneer Mine at Thackaringa closed in 1897. By 1901, after miners had moved to the richer fields at Broken Hill, the town went into decline and only 286 people remained. Today the town has a population of around 50 people, most of whom work in tourism.
The Silverton Tramway Company:
The Silverton Tramway Company, a rare private railway of 50klms in length, was incorporated in New South Wales October 14, 1886 and the line was completed and opened for traffic on January 12, 1888. One of only two privately owned railways in the state, the tramway was originally founded to transport ore from local mines in the Broken Hill and Silverton region into South Australia. The company soon branched out, not only carrying ore from the mines but freighted other goods and offered a passenger service which accounted for a third of their business.
The company serviced travellers on long trips heading interstate to Semaphore (Adelaide) to the Largs Bay Holiday Camp and excursions for local community groups often conveying passengers to Silverton and McCulloch Park (at Stephens Creek) for the day and returning to Broken Hill in the afternoon. When traveling to South Australia the train would travel from Broken Hill, through Silverton and then to Burns which is on the New South Wales side of the border of Cockburn (a town divided by the NSW/SA border).
In 1927 the New South Wales government completed the railway from Sydney to Broken Hill, thus joining the Silverton Tramway and completing the link from Sydney to Adelaide. It played a strategic role in the trans-Australia network until 1970, when it was surpassed by the New South Wales Government Railways (Indian-Pacific). From 1888-1970 it was critical to the economic functioning of Broken Hill, by providing the key transport of ore to the Port Pirie smelters. It played a significant role in the politics and recreation of Broken Hill, and a crucial role at times of water shortage in Broken Hill.
Today, Silverton resides in the Unincorporated Area of New South Wales (NSW) and so does not feature a City Council. It is run by the Silverton Village Committee, who to this day hold their quarterly meetings in the Silverton Municipal Chambers.
Dame Mary Gilmore:
Dame Mary Jean Gilmore (1865 - 1962), writer, was born on the 16th of August 1865 at Mary Vale, Woodhouselee, near Goulburn, New South Wales, eldest child of Donald Cameron, a farmer, born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, and his native-born wife Mary Ann, née Beattie. Her father had migrated to Australia in 1838 from Fort William, and her mother's family had come from County Armagh, Ireland, in 1842. The Camerons and Beatties owned adjoining properties.
Donald Cameron, a wanderer by nature, was in turn a farmer, mail contractor, property manager, carpenter, innkeeper, and builder, moving with his family around south-western New South Wales. Later Mary's mother lived in Sydney and wrote for the Australian Town and Country Journal and the Daily Telegraph. At 7, Mary went to school briefly at Brucedale near Wagga Wagga and at 9 to Wagga Wagga Public School. In 1877 the family moved to Houlaghan's Creek and she attended the school at Downside. For the next four years she was an unofficial pupil-teacher in small schools at Cootamundra, Bungowannah, and Yerong Creek. At 16 she passed a formal entrance examination and began as a probationary pupil-teacher at the Superior Public School, Wagga Wagga. After a period of ill health and failure in a teacher's examination in December 1884, she resigned, but was re-employed in May 1886 at Beaconsfield Provisional School. She was transferred in March 1887 to Illabo Public School. After passing the IIIA teachers' examination, Mary was appointed in October 1887 as temporary assistant at Silverton Public School near Broken Hill. She remained there until December 1889 spending the Christmas vacation of 1888 - 1889 in Sydney with her mother. Mary was transferred to Neutral Bay Public School in January 1890.
Her relationship with Henry Lawson probably began in 1890: in 1923 she recalled that 'It was a strange meeting that between young Lawson and me. I had come down permanently to the city from Silverton'. Her account of an unofficial engagement and Lawson's wish to marry her at the time of his brief trip to Western Australia (May-September 1890) could be accurate regarding dates, but there is no other corroborative evidence. There was clearly, however, a close relationship between them in 1890 - 1895, but it was broken by his frequent absences from Sydney. Mary's later comments on his career were always somewhat proprietorial but the extent of her influence on his literary talents and her contribution to his literary education remain unsubstantiated.
In May 1891, Mary was transferred to Stanmore Superior Public School. She had become involved in the increasing radicalism of the day, supporting the maritime and shearers' strikes as actively as possible for a schoolteacher subject to the strict rules of the Department of Public Instruction. It was her lifelong claim that she had, under her brother John's name, been co-opted to the first executive of the Australian Workers' Union. She assisted William Lane and the New Australia movement, and was largely responsible for overcoming the financial difficulties that threatened to prevent the departure for Paraguay of the Royal Tar on the 16th of July 1893. On the 31st of October 1895 she resigned from teaching and sailed from Sydney in November in the Ruapehu, arriving at the Cosme settlement in Paraguay in January 1896. She married fellow colonist, a Victorian shearer, William Alexander Gilmore (1866 - 1945), at Cosme on the 25th of May 1897 and their only child William Dysart Cameron Gilmore (1898 - 1945) was born on the 21st of August 1898 at Villarica, near Cosme. In August 1899 the Gilmores resigned from Cosme and Will left the settlement to work at various jobs. In November 1900 the family went to Rio Gallegos in southern Patagonia where Will worked on a ranch and Mary gave English lessons. On the 1st of April 1902 they reached England, stayed briefly with Lawson and his family in London, and arrived in Australia in the Karlsruhe in July.
Back in her familiar Sydney environment, Mary was attracted to the busy literary and political scene but, acknowledging her family responsibilities, went with her husband to Strathdownie, near Casterton in western Victoria, where Will's parents had a property. Life there was far from congenial but she had a long-sustained correspondence with Alfred George Stephens of the Bulletin and was delighted to have her life and work featured in the 'Red Page' on the 3rd of October 1903. In 1907 they moved into Casterton where Billy attended school. Mary's long connexion with the Australian Worker began in 1908 when, in response to her request for a special page for women, the editor Hector Lamond invited her to write it herself. She was to edit the 'Women's Page' until the 11th of February 1931. Mary also began campaigning for the Labor Party, helping to have its candidate for the Federal seat of Wannon elected in 1906 and 1910. Her first collection of poems, Marri'd, and other Verses, simple colloquial lyrics, written mainly at Cosme and Casterton, commenting on the joys, hopes, and disappointments of life's daily round, was published in 1910 by George Robertson & Co. Pty Ltd of Melbourne, on the advice of Bernard O'Dowd who professed to be 'simply enraptured with their lyric magic'.
The Gilmores left Casterton in 1912, Mary and her son going to Sydney where she had the security of her Worker position and Billy the opportunity of a secondary education, while Will joined his brother on the land in the Cloncurry district of Queensland. They were rarely reunited in the years that followed, but, loose and impersonal as the husband-wife relationship must have appeared to outside observers, it was always characterized by affection, respect, and abiding mutual interest.
Mary was soon involved in literary activities. A staunch supporter of journals such as the Bulletin, the Lone Hand, and the Book-fellow, she invested her own (borrowed) money in the latter to prevent its closure through bankruptcy. The accounts in 1913 - 1916 of Mary Gilmore trading as the Book-fellow and her correspondence with Stephens indicate the scope of her participation. Her second volume of poetry, the Passionate Heart (1918), reflected her horrified reaction to World War I. Poems such as 'The measure' stress the futility and waste of war, while 'Gallipoli', a deeply felt, imaginative account of that famous battlefield with its scars covered by the recurring miracle of spring, offers consolation to those grieving for the loss of loved ones. She gave the royalties from the Passionate Heart to the soldiers blinded in the war. In 1922 her first book of prose, a collection of essays entitled Hound of the Road, was published. In the early 1920s her health, never robust, became a problem. High blood pressure and heart trouble led to a stay in hospital in Sydney in 1920; she was sent to Goulburn by her doctor to escape the pressure of city life at different times between 1921 and 1924. In 1925 a third volume of verse, the Tilted Cart, appeared; the poems were accompanied by copious notes indicating her keen interest in recording the minutiae of the pioneer past.
Mary Gilmore's final years with the Worker were not placid: she resigned at the end of January 1931. Her book of verse, the Wild Swan, had been published in 1930; its radical themes, together with its anguish over the ravaging of the land by white civilization and the destruction of Aboriginal lore, making it her most impressive work to that point. It was followed in 1931 by the book of largely religious verse, the Rue Tree, which she claimed was a tribute to the Sisters of the Convent of Mercy at Goulburn, and in 1932 by Under the Wilgas. Her twin books of prose reminiscences, Old Days, Old Ways: a Book of Recollections and More Recollections were published in 1934 and 1935. In them she recaptures the spirit and atmosphere of pioneering. These anecdotal accounts which present 'Australia as she was when she was most Australian' are lively and attractive examples of her skill as a prose writer and, although unreliable and romanticized, have become invaluable sources of the legend of the pioneer days.
Over the years Mary Gilmore campaigned in the Worker and any other available forum for a wide range of social and economic reforms, such as votes for women, old-age and invalid pensions, child endowment, and improved treatment of returned servicemen, the poor and deprived and, above all, of Aboriginals. She wrote numerous letters, as well as contributing articles and poems, to the Sydney Morning Herald on these causes and such diverse subjects as the English language, the Prayer Book, earthquakes, Gaelic and the immigration laws, the waratah as a national emblem, the national anthem, and Spanish Australia. All her life she encouraged young writers and enthused over their work. She carried on a prolific correspondence with many friends including Dowell O'Reilly, Hugh McCrae, Nettie Palmer, George Mackaness, Alec Chisholm, and Robert FitzGerald. In 1980 a selection of her letters was published posthumously. She was a founder of the Lyceum Club, Sydney, a founder and vice-president in 1928 of the Fellowship of Australian Writers, an early member of the New South Wales Institute of Journalists and life member of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
To mark the considerable public acclaim for her literary and social achievements, she was appointed D.B.E. in 1937. Thereafter she was a celebrated public figure. She published a new volume of poems, Battlefields, in 1939. The title referred to her own radical campaigns. During World War II, perched in her Kings Cross flat at 99 Darlinghurst Road, she anathematized German and Japanese ambitions of world domination. She recognized the growing threat to Australia in her stirring call to Australian patriotism, the poem 'No Foe Shall Gather our Harvest', while she castigated Allied incompetence and corruption in the poem 'Singapore', just after its fall. In 1945 her husband and son both died in Queensland.
From 1952 Mary Gilmore was associated with the Communist newspaper Tribune, largely because of her pacifism and her anger at the government's attitude to the Youth Carnival for Peace and Friendship then being staged in Sydney. Her Tribune column 'Arrows' appeared regularly until mid-1962, commenting on contemporary Australian and world affairs. In 1954, as she approached her ninetieth year, she published her final volume of poetry, Fourteen Men. The Australasian Book Society commissioned William Dobell to paint her portrait for her 92nd birthday in 1957. She strongly defended the controversial portrait because she felt it captured something of her ancestry; she donated it to the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
Her last years were made memorable by ever-increasing signs of public esteem. Her birthdays were celebrated publicly by Sydney literati and ordinary folk alike; streets, roads, schools, old people's homes were named after her; literary awards and scholarships were given in her name; visitors from Australia's literary and political world, and overseas admirers, made regular pilgrimages to her; her pronouncements were highlighted by the media; she made television and radio appearances; she led May Day processions as the May Queen. She died on the 3rd of December 1962 (Eureka Day) and, after a state funeral at St Stephen's Presbyterian Church, Macquarie Street, was cremated, her ashes being buried in her husband's grave in the Cloncurry Cemetery, Queensland; she was survived by a grandson. Her estate was valued for probate at £12,023.
Mary Gilmore's significance is both literary and historical. As poet and prose writer she has drawn considerable praise from such connoisseurs of literature as McCrae, FitzGerald, Judith Wright, Douglas Stewart, and Tom Inglis Moore. She wrote too much (often on ephemeral trivia) and too hastily, but her best verse—brief lyrics such as 'Nationality', 'Eve-Song', 'The Tenancy', 'Never Admit the Pain', 'Gallipoli', 'The Flight of the Swans'—are among the permanent gems of Australian poetry. As patriot, feminist, social crusader, and folklorist she has now passed into Australian legend.
Besides the Dobell portrait of Dame Mary Gilmore, the Art Gallery of New South Wales holds one by Joshua Smith and a bronze head by Rayner Hoff; portraits by Eric Saunders and Mary McNiven are held by the National Library of Australia, Canberra.
Source: Silverton NSW (www.aussietowns.com.au/town/silverton-nsw), New South Wales Heritage Register, Discover Broken Hill (discoverbrokenhill.com.au/silverton-nsw/historic-building...), "The pathway to Broken Hill: Early discoveries in the Barrier Ranges, New South Wales, Australia" by Kenneth George McQueen, and 'Aplin, Graeme; S.G. Foster; Michael McKernan, eds. (1987). Australians: Events and Places. Broadway, New South Wales, Australia: Fairfax, Syme & Weldon Associates. p. 97' & Australian Dictionary of Biography.
The Thirty-Sixth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from October 17 to October 19, 2016.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
One of the indications that suggest to me that the stair-tower was built later than the old part of the main block, is the quoin-stones or corner stones, which are of quite different styles. It may even be that the old part of the main block is the bottom section of a old ~15th century oblong keep, which after suffering attack or accidental burning, was completely remodelled in the early 17th century.
Notice also that the building has no roof guttering - which helps it look its age (and is why there is water running down the wall to the right of the dormer window!). Normally when a roof-slate gets loose, it slides down the roof and comes to rest in the gutter. Here, they have had to put chicken wire all round the roof eaves, to catch any run-away slates and avoid the risk of decapitating innocent passers-by below!
The Thirtieth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from November 4 to November 8, 2013.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
Photo of the “IP Key Role for the Post Pandemic Recovery: Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications” exhibition and cultural event, co-organized by WIPO and the Government of Mexico.
Held on the sidelines of the Assemblies of the Member States of WIPO, the event included a traditional musical performance, and an exhibition showcasing Mexico’s appellations of origin and geographical indications.
The Assemblies of WIPO Member States took place in Geneva, Switzerland, from July 14-22, 2022.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Thirty-Fifth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from April 25 to April 27, 2016.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Twenty-ninth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from May 27 to May 31, 2013.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
The Postcard
A postally unused postcard bearing no studio name. There are no indications as to the date or location of the photograph.
The unfortunate animal, which is secured by two chains, has presumably been trained to dance to music produced by the instrument that the man on the left is holding.
Dancing Bears
A dancing bear, often called a tame bear, is a wild bear captured when young, or born and bred in captivity, and used to entertain people in streets or taverns.
Dancing bears were commonplace throughout Europe and Asia from the Middle Ages to the 19th. century, and can still be found in the 21st. century in some countries.
The History of Dancing bears
In Ancient Rome, bears and monkeys were led to dance and perform tricks for the public. Dancing bears were commonplace in the Indian subcontinent for centuries. The last of them were freed in 2009.
In Russia and Siberia, cubs were for centuries captured for being used as dancing bears accompanying tavern musicians (skomorokhi), as depicted in the Travels of Adam Olearius.
Dancing bears were widespread throughout Europe from the Middle Ages to the 19th. century. They were still present on the streets of Spain and Eastern Europe in 2007.
Recently, organizations and animal rights activists have worked to outlaw or eliminate tame bears, since the practice is seen as cruel and antiquated, citing mistreatment and abuse used in order to train the bears.
French Bear Handlers
Traveling with a bear was very popular in France at the end of the 19th. century, between 1870 and 1914. More than 600 men from Ariège in the French Pyrenees trained bear cubs found in the mountains near their home.
Among them, 200 traveled to North America, arriving at the ports of New York, Quebec, Montreal and Halifax from the ports of Liverpool, Glasgow and Belfast. They would leave their home early in spring, walking from the Pyrenees through France and England, earning money for the crossing in order to arrive in North America in May or June.
Dancing Bears in Popular Culture
-- The popular children's television show, Captain Kangaroo, featured a character known as "Dancing Bear."
-- The concept has entered into the lexicon in the form of the common proverb:
"The marvel is not that the bear
dances well, but that the bear
dances at all."
-- Randy Newman's song "Simon Smith and the Amazing Dancing Bear" is about a humble young man who entertains high society with his tame bear.
-- A dancing bear features at the end of Cormac McCarthy’s 1985 Western novel Blood Meridian and is shot in a saloon by a drunkard.
-- In The Simpsons episode “Marge on the Lam,” Homer Simpson and Lenny Leonard both misremember ballet as “the bear in the little car.”
-- Rafi Zabor's novel The Bear Comes Home is a fictional story about a bear trained to play jazz saxophone.
-- The Joanna Newsom song “Monkey & Bear” concerns a bear named Ursala who is deceived by the Monkey into dancing for children.
-- The animated movie Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted features a bear named Sonya who is trained to ride a unicycle. Sonya is considerably more animalistic than the other anthropomorphic animals in the film.
In hazy winter morning sunlight, the platform signal is indicating "low speed". The next signal can be seen at "stop", and just beyond it a train occupies the line.
Low speed indications are used extensively in the Sydney network, wherever trains services can become congested. When trains bank up, it enables them to close up through the overlaps that are normally maintained between trains on running lines.
Low speed indication is preceded by a caution indication. It modifies a stop signal to permit a train to proceed at low speed, maximum 25 km/h (15 mph). The line will be clear to the next signal but may be occupied immediately beyond that signal.
WIPO Director General Daren Tang delivers remarks at the inauguration of the “Geographical Indications and Appellations of Origin from Portugal” exhibition, co-organized by WIPO and the Government of Portugal.
Held on the sidelines of the Assemblies of WIPO Member States, the exhibition featured origin-based products from Portugal which benefit from intellectual property protection via geographical indications and appellations of origin.
The Assemblies of WIPO Member States took place in Geneva, Switzerland, from July 6-14, 2023.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Violaine Martin. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Postcard
A postally unused carte postale published by A. Bourdier of Versailles.
The people who have been posed by the photographer give an indication of the immense size of the central arch - it is about the same height as a modern six-storey building.
Chartres
Chartres is a city and capital of the Eure-et-Loir department in France. At the 2019 census, there were 38,534 individuals living in the city.
Chartres is famous worldwide for its Gothic cathedral which is in an exceptional state of preservation. The majority of the original stained glass windows survive intact, while the architecture has seen only minor changes since the early 13th. century.
Part the old town, including most of the library associated with the School of Chartres, was destroyed by Allied bombs in 1944.
The Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres, is one of the finest and best preserved Gothic cathedrals in France and in Europe. Its historical and cultural importance has been recognized by its inclusion on the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
Chartres is built on a hill on the left bank of the river Eure. The medieval cathedral is at the top of the hill, and its two spires are visible from miles away across the flat surrounding lands. To the southeast stretches the fertile plain of Beauce, the "Granary of France", of which the town is the commercial centre.
Chartres cathedral was built on the site of the former Chartres cathedral of Romanesque architecture, which was destroyed by fire (that former cathedral had been built on the ruins of an ancient Celtic temple, later replaced by a Roman temple).
Begun in 1205, the construction of Notre-Dame de Chartres was completed 66 years later.
The stained glass windows of the cathedral were financed by guilds of merchants and craftsmen, and by wealthy noblemen, whose names appear at the bottom. It is not known how the famous and unique blue, bleu de Chartres, of the glass was created, and it has been impossible to replicate it.
Chartres in WWII
In World War II, the city suffered heavy damage, both by bombing and during the battle of Chartres in August 1944, but the cathedral was spared by an American Army officer who challenged the order to destroy it.
On the 16th. August 1944, Colonel Welborn Barton Griffith Jr. questioned the necessity of destroying the cathedral, and volunteered to go behind enemy lines to find out whether the Germans were using it as an observation post.
With his driver, Griffith proceeded to the cathedral and, after searching it all the way up its bell tower, confirmed to Headquarters that it was empty of Germans. The order to destroy the cathedral was withdrawn.
Colonel Griffith was killed in action later on that day in the town of Lèves, 3.5 kilometres (2.2 miles) north of Chartres. For his heroic action both at Chartres and Lèves, Colonel Griffith received, posthumously, decorations awarded by the President of the United States and the U.S. Military, and also from the French government.
Following deep reconnaissance missions and after heavy fighting in and around the city, Chartres was liberated on the 18th. August 1944, by the U.S. 5th. Infantry and 7th. Armored Divisions commanded by General George S. Patton.
Churches of Chartres
The Église Saint-Pierre de Chartres was the church of the Benedictine Abbaye Saint-Père-en-Vallée, founded in the 7th. century by Queen Balthild. At the time of its construction, the abbey was outside the walls of the city. It contains fine stained glass and, formerly, twelve representations of the apostles in enamel, created circa 1547 by Léonard Limosin, which now can be seen in the fine arts museum.
Other noteworthy churches of Chartres are Saint-Aignan (13th., 16th. and 17th. centuries), and Saint-Martin-au-Val (12th. century), inside the Saint-Brice hospital.
Museums of Chartres
Chartres' Museums include:
-- Le Musée des Beaux-Arts, a fine arts museum, housed in the former episcopal palace adjacent to the cathedral.
-- Le Centre International du Vitrail, a workshop-museum and cultural center devoted to stained glass art, located 50 metres (160 feet) from the cathedral.
-- Le Conservatoire du Machinisme et des Pratiques Agricoles, an agricultural museum.
-- Le Musée le Grenier de l'Histoire, a history museum specializing in military uniforms and accoutrements, in Lèves, a suburb of Chartres.
-- Le Musée des Sciences Naturelles et de la Préhistoire, a Natural science and Prehistory Museum (closed since 2015).
Other Features of Chartres
The river Eure, which at this point divides into three branches, is crossed by several bridges, some of them ancient, and is fringed in places by remains of the old fortifications, of which the Porte Guillaume (14th. century), a gateway flanked by towers, was the most complete specimen, until destroyed by the retreating German army on the night of the 15th./16th. August 1944.
The steep, narrow streets of the old town contrast with the wide, shady boulevards which encircle it and separate it from the suburbs. The Parc André-Gagnon lies to the north-west, and squares and open spaces are numerous.
Part of the Hôtel de Ville dates from the 17th. century, and is called l'Hôtel de Montescot. There is also La Maison Canoniale dating back to the 13th. century, and several medieval and Renaissance houses.
La Maison Picassiette, a house decorated inside and out with mosaics of shards of broken china and pottery, is also worth a visit.
There is also a statue of General Marceau (1769–1796), a native of Chartres and a general during the French Revolution.
The Economy of Chartres
Historically, game pies and other delicacies of Chartres are well known, and the city's industries have also included flour-milling, brewing, distilling, iron-founding, leather manufacture, perfumes, dyeing, stained glass, billiard requisites and hosiery.
More recently, businesses include the manufacture of electronic equipment and car accessories. Since 1976 the fashion and perfumes company Puig has had a production plant in the commune.
Pilgrimages
Chartres has been a site of Catholic pilgrimages since the Middle Ages. The poet Charles Péguy, who was born in 1873, revived the pilgrimage route between Paris and Chartres before the Great War.
At the outbreak of the war, Péguy became a lieutenant in the French 276th. Infantry Regiment. He died at the age of 41 in battle, shot in the forehead, near Villeroy, Seine-et-Marne on the 5th. September 1914, the day before the beginning of the Battle of the Marne. There is a memorial to Charles near the field where he was killed.
After the war, a number of students carried on the pilgrimage in his memory. Since 1982, the association Notre-Dame de Chrétienté, with offices in Versailles, organizes the annual 100 km (62 mi) pilgrimage on foot from Notre-Dame de Paris to Notre-Dame de Chartres. About 15,000 pilgrims, from France and countries outside France, participate every year.
The Bataclan Theatre Massacre
Chartres was the home of Omar Ismael Mostefaï aged 29, one of the three gunmen who attacked the audience at the Bataclan concert venue on the 13th. November 2015, starting at 21.40.
It was part of a carefully co-ordinated attack on Paris; over a 20 minute period, Islamist militants also killed and injured people at the Stade de France, and at six restaurants and cafes along the 10th. and 11th. arrondissements.
One of the restaurants was a popular Cambodian eatery in the trendy Canal Saint-Martin area, where at least 12 people died. Another 19 people were killed at a busy restaurant on nearby Rue de Charonne.
Shootings and bomb blasts on that night left a total of 130 people dead and hundreds wounded, with more than 100 in a critical condition.
The Start of the Bataclan Massacre
On the evening of the 13th. November 2015, the American rock band Eagles of Death Metal was playing to an audience of about 1,500 people at the Bataclan on the Boulevard Voltaire in the 11th. arrondissement of Paris.
Three dark-clad gunmen had been waiting in a black rental car near the venue for more than an hour, and were armed with Zastava M70 assault rifles. The M70 is a derivative of the Soviet AK-47, and can fire at a rate of 620 rounds per minute. Over 4 million of the ghastly things have unfortunately been manufactured.
The terrorists were three French natives of Algerian descent. As the band was playing their song "Kiss the Devil", the three men got out of the car and opened fire on people outside the venue, killing three.
They then burst into the concert hall and sprayed the crowd with automatic gunfire. Witnesses heard shouts of "Allahu Akbar" as the terrorists opened fire. Initially, the audience mistook the gunfire for pyrotechnics. The band ran offstage and escaped with many of the crew, although their tour manager was killed.
Rows of people were mown down by gunfire or were forced to drop to the ground to avoid being shot. Survivors described hundreds of people lying beside and on top of each other in pools of blood, screaming in terror and pain.
The gunmen also fired up into the balconies, and dead bodies fell down onto the stalls below. For a few minutes, the hall was plunged into darkness, with only the flashes from the assault rifles as the gunmen kept shooting.
The terrorists shouted that they were there because of French airstrikes against Islamic State. A witness who was inside the Bataclan heard a gunman say:
"This is because of all the harm
done by Hollande to Muslims all
over the world."
A radio reporter attending the concert reported that:
"The terrorists were calm and determined, and they
reloaded three or four times. Two gunmen attacked
the concert hall; one gunman covered fire while
another reloaded to ensure maximum efficiency."
Whenever a gunman stopped to reload, members of the crowd, some with bullets in them, ran for the emergency exits, scrambling over each other to escape. Some were shot from behind as they fled, and the terrorists laughed as they shot them. Those who reached an emergency exit were shot by the third gunman, who had positioned himself there.
Other groups of people barricaded themselves in backstage rooms. Some smashed open the ceiling in an upstairs toilet, and hid among the rafters under the roof. Those who could not run lay still on the floor or under bodies pretending to be dead. One women was seen hanging from a third floor window.
According to survivors, the terrorists walked among those who were lying down, kicked them, and shot them in the head if there were any sign of life.
An eyewitness reported hearing the gunmen ask amongst themselves where the members of the Eagles of Death Metal were once the gunfire stopped. Mostefaï and another of the gunmen then went upstairs to the balconies, while the third attacker stayed downstairs and fired at people who tried to flee.
Initial Armed Response to the Terrorists
The Brigade of Research and Intervention (BRI) arrived on the scene at 22:15, soon followed by the elite tactical unit, RAID. At 22:15, the first two responding officers entered the building armed with handguns and encountered one of the terrorists who was standing on the stage.
The Jihadist died after being shot by the officers and detonating his explosive vest. Mostefaï and the other remaining gunman (Mohamed-Aggad) then fired upon the officers, forcing them to withdraw and wait for backup.
The Stand-Off
From this point, Mostefaï and the other attacker took about twenty hostages and herded them into a room at the end of a corridor located further within the building. They also seized the hostages' mobile phones and attempted to use them to access the Internet, but they were unable to find a signal.
Some of the hostages were forced to look down into the hall and out the windows and report what they saw. During this time, the two terrorists fired on police and first responders as they arrived at the scene.
At 23:30, an elite police squad entered the building. One unit evacuated survivors from downstairs, while another unit went upstairs. They found Mohamed-Aggad and Mostefaï, who had begun using hostages as human shields. They shouted out to police the number of a hostage's phone.
Over the next 50 minutes, they had four phone exchanges with a police negotiator, during which time they threatened to execute hostages unless they received a signed paper promising France's departure from Muslim lands.
The Police Assault
The police assault began at 00:20 and lasted three minutes. Police launched the assault because of reports that Mohamed-Aggad and Mostefaï had started killing hostages. Police using shields burst open the door to the room and exchanged fire with Mohamed-Aggad and Mostefaï while managing to pull the hostages one-by-one behind their shields. One terrorist detonated his explosive vest, and the other tried to do the same but was shot.
Ninety people were killed at the Bataclan on that night, and hundreds of others were wounded. Almost all of the deceased victims were killed within the first 20 minutes of the attack. All of the hostages were rescued without injury.
Police dog teams from the Brigade Cynophile assisted with body removal because of concerns that there could still be live explosives in the theatre. Identification and removal of the bodies took 10 hours, a process made difficult because some audience members had left their identity papers in the theatre's cloakroom.
Omar Ismael Mostefaï
The homegrown suicide bomber Omar Ismael Mostefaï was identified after his finger was found among the Bataclan concert hall carnage.
Mostefaï was born in the Paris suburb of Courcouronnes and had eight past convictions for petty crimes. He is said to have been radicalised by a Belgian hate preacher at a mosque in France.
The Jihadist was buried in the Cimetière Parisien de Thiais
located in Val-de-Marne.
The Thirty-Fourth Session of WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT) took place in Geneva, Switzerland from November 16 to November 18, 2015.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 IGO License.
Gordana and Dragan Dulovic, Cheese Producers from Lipovo, Montenegro, make Kolasin Lisnati sir (layered cheese) and also offer a farm stay experience on their Dulovic Farm
In northern Montenegro, FAO and EBRD, with funding from Luxembourg, helped farmers like Gordana and Dragan Dulovic get international recognition - Geographical Indication (GI) status - for some of their foods thanks to their high quality and unique production process.
Crnogorska Goveđa pršuta (Montenegrin dried beef meat) and Crnogorska Stelja (Montenegrin dried and smoked sheep meat) received GI status in 2018.
Inspired by the project, five additional products have been registered as GI, including Kolasin Lisnati sir (layered cheese), which is produced mainly by women.
To get the GI certification, the project staff worked with farmers, food processors and local authorities to help them upgrade their products’ food safety and quality standards. This included helping producers develop and agree on a code of practice that they must respect in order to sell their products under the GI label – for example, the food must come from the designated areas, and high quality and hygiene standards must be upheld. The project has also supported policy dialogue and development of appropriate food safety standards in the meat sector at the national level, and raised producers’ and consumers’ awareness about the new standards.
The GI-labelled dried beef, for example, must be made from the best cuts of fresh beef fed mostly on grass, salted with sea salt, beechwood-smoked and dried in the mountain air. This gives the meat its distinctive dark plum colour, consistency and texture and prevents any bitter taste.
By supporting local traditions to build better livelihoods and empower communities, FAO and the EBRD are working toward a world free of poverty and hunger.
Found in the entry foyer, but no obvious indication as to who made it, why, and when. As displayed the view is from the north side of the building on Norfolk Row with main entrance on the right hand side. Without this model many passers by would be unaware that the building is far more complex than it appears at street level.
Description of the Town Hall at; www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/tourist-information/town-...
By the time you see the smoke of an electrical fire it’s far too late. Just what are the indication that inform you there may be an issue with your electrical wiring as well as you should hire an electrician?
A burning smell originating from devices or in spaces. Flickering or Flashing lights. Circuit breakers that constantly turn on and off. Tarnished wall surface electrical outlets. Fuses that constantly blow. Electrical outlets that trigger. Electrical outlets as well as changes that are warm to the touch. They’re all indications that inform you something is wrong with the electric system in your house. The longer you wait to obtain them dealt with, the higher the possibility of an electric fire. You should call an emergency electrician near me to repair your electrical circuits if you detect any of those signs.
Ultimately every home goes to threat of an electric fire. Why? Due to the fact that electric cables obtains broken – much like whatever else. Absolutely nothing lasts permanently.
Electric currents create warm waste. With time that warmth could trigger the conductor to broaden and also agreement. At some point it will certainly loosen up the link. As well as soon as it’s loosened, the power could arc. When this occurs the capacity for an electric fire is big.
Electrical Smells – Signs of electrical fire in walls
You could not see a little smoke, however might have the ability to scent it. If you scent smoke in your house, venture out and also call 911. Firemen will certainly react and also inspect your home. They are educated and also experienced in situating these troubles and also geared up with warmth discovery tools that could identify warm inside wall surfaces or various other surprise areas.
Too hot circuitry could develop smells and also will certainly need even more examination. You could should examine the breaker or fuse box to see if any kind of circuits are warmer compared to others; a thermal imager could assist with this.
Firemen must restrict their participation to confirming no fire exists, closing down ideal breakers where required and also referring the passenger to a certified electrical expert. Sometimes, drywall could have to be gotten rid of around “smoked” electrical outlets or various other electric tools, to validate there has actually been no fire spread. A burning odor in a home without recognizable resource could be terrifying. An electric fire at first has a rather acrid scent and also a brief that triggers a short shed has the exact same odor. Electric fires that capture bordering product ablaze, nevertheless, have an extremely various scent.
If a burning scent exists, specifically if it scents acrid, call an electrical expert instantly and also maintain a fire extinguisher helpful up until an electrical contractor could appear. In many cases, the brief remains in the electrical outlet, yet if it remains in the circuitry inside the wall surface, it could much more conveniently capture bordering products ablaze. In either case, house owners must additionally switch off the breaker or eliminate the fuse for that circuit till the electrical contractor could analyze the circuit.
On the various other hand, an electric smell, while commonly very easy to acknowledge, could be hard to locate. The smell of a getting too hot ballast is very easy to acknowledge, yet occasionally it is challenging to situate the annoying light. This is specifically real in a huge industrial structure with many fluorescent lights. In today’s houses and also organizations, there are several feasible resources of electric smells, making it tough for firemen to find the root cause of the smell. One more issue in locating electric smells is that often the resource is not electric in any way.
Structures with fluorescent illumination constantly have the possibility for an overheated light ballast. These emit an unique smell, however you could discover it hard to identify specifically which light overheated, especially if you cannot reach them. Look pointer: Visually inspect the lights for dimming light bulbs or one light that shows up dimmer compared to the others. Be certain upkeep workers or an electrical contractor is on hand to eliminate any type of issue system. Wait up until you could validate that the light has actually not sparked the ceiling, as warm ballasts touching flammable products on or over a ceiling have actually created countless framework fires. A thermal imager could be fairly convenient in looking for overheated ballasts.
Occasional Flashing, Flickering, or Dimming Lights – Are they predictors of electrical fires?
Dimming as well as flickering lights are an indicator of an overloaded circuit. As one more gadget transforms on in a circuit, particularly electric motor owned gadgets, they draw extra amps compared to when they run at a consistent speed. If it occurs typically, nevertheless, this could be an indication of damaged electrical wiring or a negative circuit breaker that requires to be changed.
Flickering or lowering lights might suggest a brief in the circuitry, hazardous arcing or an overextension of your home’s electric systems. Simply due to the fact that your circuit breaker hasn’t already stumbled, does not indicate there isn’t really an issue with your electric circuitry. One more signs and symptom of out dated or harmed electrical wiring is flickering, humming or lowering lights.
Either the links to the component or your home electric circuitry in the circuit breaker box might be loosened. Lowering lights is one more usual sign of circuit overload or inappropriate circuitry. Flickering lights could result from harmed component electrical wiring (specifically if it’s influencing simply one of 2 or even more components on the very same circuit), an issue with a mistake or the button someplace.
In all situations, call a certified electrical contractor immediately to arrange a maintenance.
Worn or Damaged Wires – Warning signs of electrical fire
Lots of times, electric circuitry and also cables end up being harmed over years of usage. Circuitry could be harmed inside and also result in shorts, arcing as well as fire. Examine all revealed cables and also circuitry on a routine basis as well as examine for damages.
House owners ought to end up being mindful of exactly what the safety and security worries are of old circuitry in their residences and also discover concerning 5 of the most usual electric circuitry caution indications. Electric parts as well as screening devices could be discovered at any kind of big-box home repair shop as well as at any kind of specialized electric elements shops As a word of care, nonetheless, if there is any kind of uncertainty regarding a home’s electric circuitry, particularly with old residences, it is frequently well worth the financial investment to have a qualified electrical contractor take a look at the home’s electric system.
Fractured insulation on expansion cables. Change expansion cables every couple of years. Detecting as well as fixing electric troubles could be complicated, so you’ll require to comply with safety and security treatments.
Without entirely undamaged insulation, electric circuitry is very hazardous. Stories of beginners making use of expansion cables for circuit electrical wiring are common. If you discover unacceptable electrical wiring anywhere in your residence, think the worst; it’s time for a total evaluation.
Keep an eye out for torn or eaten circuitry generally brought on by rats, family pets and also amateur handymen, any type of broken circuitry similar to this is a massive shock as well as fire threat. It’s of miraculous value that if you believe or discover that there is any type of troubles of this kind, you must get in touch with an electric service provider or electrical wiring specialist to check as well as change your home’s electrical wiring.
Running an expansion cable produces added factors where cables could kink, brief out or obtain squeezed, leading to stumbled breakers, harmed electrical outlets or also a fire. Use extension cables moderately and also for brief durations of time– throughout the vacations.
Circuit Breaker Keeps “Tripping” – Can a circuit breaker cause a fire?
Circuit breakers are made to “blow” when a circuit is over loaded. Circuit breakers aid to secure the home from fire by “tripping” when the circuit starts to overload by surpassing the number of amps the circuit is ranked for. If, nonetheless, the amp lots of the home appliances is much less compared to just what the circuit breaker or fuse is ranked for, after that there might be a brief in the circuitry someplace along the circuit.
If a circuit breaker journeys often, you must seek advice from an electrical expert. Circuit breakers as well as merges are created to stop working as a means to avoid overloading. If utilizing a solitary electrical outlet creates you to blow the exact same fuse repetitively, the circuit is most likely strained.
It’s flawlessly regular to go years without needing to reset a stumbled breaker or change a blown fuse. If you have a fuse box that blows relatively frequently, there’s a great chance it’s overwhelmed (the power needs on the circuit surpass its secure capability), or there could be a brief or mistake someplace in the circuitry run or on any type of gadgets linked to the circuit.
Circuit breakers could be examined with a circuit breaker tester if the device amp lots must not be stumbling the circuit. If the amp tons is reduced compared to the circuit ranking and also the circuit breaker is great, there is something incorrect with the electrical wiring as well as a qualified electrical contractor must be called out to check out and also repair the electrical wiring as quickly as feasible.
It’s usual for a home circuit breaker to journey. If your circuit breaker journeys often– numerous times a month or even more– that’s a proven indicator that there is a further, possibly unsafe trouble in your home’s electric circuitry.
How do you prevent an electrical fire?
Obtain a qualified electricician to come in to do an audit of the whole residence. Older residences require tender caring treatment, and also their covert electric circuitry is no various. Believe currently concerning exactly how you’ll manage these circumstances, you’re able to rapidly as well as properly determine the trouble as well as go back to solution for the following run.
These fire fighters made a video to help you learn how to prevent electrical fires:
Transform off the circuit breaker to that part of the system as well as call a certified and also experienced electrical expert if you recognize a caution indication within your home’s electric system. Electrical contractors have the capacity to compute appropriate circuit tons, examination the circuitry as well as situate any kind of troubles which might trigger a fire.
Maintaining your electric system in excellent repair is just one of one of the most crucial points you can do to maintain the safety and security of your home. Do not place off an examination by a certified electrical contractor if you come across any of the above signs and symptoms. The initiative you require to avoid more concerns might conserve you as well as your family members from a bothersome loss of power or a fatal home fire.
The post Electrical Fire Smell – How to detect if there is an electrical fire appeared first on Work Best Electric.
www.workbestelectric.com/electrical-fire-smells-how-to-te...
via Blogger workbestelectric-blog.blogspot.com/2017/03/electrical-fir...
Catarina Sarmento e Castro, Minister of Justice of Portugal, delivers remarks at the inauguration of the “Geographical Indications and Appellations of Origin from Portugal” exhibition, co-organized by WIPO and the Government of Portugal.
Held on the sidelines of the Assemblies of WIPO Member States, the exhibition featured origin-based products from Portugal which benefit from intellectual property protection via geographical indications and appellations of origin.
The Assemblies of WIPO Member States took place in Geneva, Switzerland, from July 6-14, 2023.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Violaine Martin. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Make a stop when you drive with your locomation item :) Look the road and indicators and don't be crazy !
Alfredo Rendón, Director General, Institute of Industrial Property of Mexico delivers remarks at the opening of the “IP Key Role for the Post Pandemic Recovery: Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications” cultural event, co-organized by WIPO and the Government of Mexico.
Held on the sidelines of the Assemblies of the Member States of WIPO, the event included a traditional musical performance, and an exhibition showcasing Mexico’s appellations of origin and geographical indications.
The Assemblies of WIPO Member States took place in Geneva, Switzerland, from July 14-22, 2022.
Copyright: WIPO. Photo: Emmanuel Berrod. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.