View allAll Photos Tagged dedicated
2003 United States Colored Troops (USCT) Monument in the Nashville National Cemetery in Madison, Tennessee. The monument is dedicated to African American Civil War Soldiers and is one of the newest monuments in the cemetery. The statue’s plaque reads “In Memory of the 20,133 who served as United States Colored Troops in the Union Army”.
Memorial of Glory was built in 1975 to the 30th anniversary of the Victory in the Park of the 28 Panfilov Guardsmen from the east side, in the same year the Eternal Flame was lit. The opening of the memorial complex of the four parts was held 8 May 1975. The first part - the high relief "Oath" (on the left side) - is dedicated to the young fighters for Soviet power in Kazakhstan. The central part of the triptych, The Deed, depicts the images of Panfilov heroes who defended Moscow with their breasts. To the right is the composition "Trumpeting Glory", which gives the whole memorial an optimistic sound, its images embody the anthem of triumphant life. Near the Eternal Flame there are massive cubes of labradorite, under which capsules with soil from the heroic cities are immured. It is a monument of art, architecture and history (included in the register on 20 April 1980), included in the Almaty State Historical-Architectural and Memorial Reserve (decree of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Kazakhstan № 46 25 November 1993).
The 28 Panfilov Guardsmen Park is an urban park near the Ascension Cathedral in east-central Almaty, Kazakhstan. The park honors the Panfilov's Twenty-Eight Guardsmen, 28 soldiers from an Alma-Ata infantry unit of the Red Army who reportedly died during World War II in the Battle of Moscow. Named after Soviet General Ivan Panfilov, they are remembered for delaying the German advance into the Soviet capital of Moscow during Operation Barbarossa. An eternal flame commemorates the fallen soldiers, situated in front of a black monument honouring troops from all 15 Soviet republics.
The park covers an area of 18 hectares and is covered by smooth paths and alleys that run through a mixed deciduous grove comprising perennial oaks, elms, aspens, maples, poplars, pines, and firs. The park's historical significance and architectural ensemble make it a point of interest for both residents and tourists.
The park was founded in the 1870s on the site of a Cossack village cemetery, originally named Starokladbischensky Park (Russian: Старокладбищенский парк, lit. 'Old Cemetery Park'), which was destroyed in 1921. The only preserved graves belong to Leonilla Kolpakovsky, buried in 1860, and her grandson Vladimir Basilevsky, buried in 1882; the gravestone was restored in 2011. Mass grave memorials for victims of the 1887 earthquake are now lost. The park was later connected to a Catholic Garden and renamed Urban Garden. In 1899, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Russian poet Alexander Pushkin (1799–1837), the park was renamed Pushkin Garden. Between 1904 and 1907, construction occurred on one of Almaty’s few surviving Tsarist-era buildings. In 1913, it hosted an agricultural and industrial exhibition for the Romanov Tercentenary, organized by military engineer Andrey Zenkov. New buildings were constructed, with 28 state-owned and 15 private pavilions showcasing Kazakh national art and crafts. Nearby, the Ascension Cathedral and the Verny City Council were equipped with electricity, enhancing the Garden City image.
In 1919, the park was renamed Park of the Fallen Heroes in honor of those who fought in the Russian Civil War, later changing to Lenin Local Park due to a prohibition on urban cemeteries. By 1927, as Alma-Ata became the capital of Soviet Kazakhstan, it was renamed Federation of Soviet Republics.
On 5 May 1942, the park was renamed to 28 Panfilov Guardsmen Park in honour of the Panfilov's Twenty-Eight Guardsmen of the 1075 regiment of the 312th rifle division, who defended Moscow in November 1941. The park includes historical buildings from the early to mid-20th century, such as the Ascension Cathedral, which was built without nails, the Kazakh Museum of Folk Musical Instruments, and the House of Officers. Today, the park is a popular destination for locals and tourists. During Victory Day celebrations, Almaty residents lay flowers and wreaths in memory of those who died in World War II. Zenkov played a crucial role in the park's development and in improving Almaty. In 1982, the park's significant sites, including the museum, Ascension Cathedral, and Memorial of Glory, were listed as historical and cultural monuments of republican significance in Kazakhstan.
U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor crew chiefs assigned to the 90th Fighter Squadron are recognized during a Dedicated Crew Chief Ceremony held on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, Oct. 23, 2015. During the ceremony crew chiefs were recognized for their dedication and hard work. Every F-22 Raptor has a dedicated crew chief assigned who is trusted with the care and maintenance of the jet. At the ceremony the Airmen received a coin from their respective commanders, a certificate certifying them as dedicated crew chiefs, and new maintenance overalls to designate them as dedicated crew chiefs while working on the flight line. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Wes Wright)
ST. MARGARET'S HOSPITAL, HAMMOND, IND.
Date: 1915
Source Type: Postcard
Publisher, Printer, Photographer: E. C. Kropp
Postmark: September 15, 1905, Hammond, Indiana
Collection: Steven R. Shook
Remark: The following newspaper item appeared in the July 15, 1909, issue of The Chesterton Tribune:
DEDICATED A HOSPITAL.
Impressive Services at Hammond on Sunday.
The Rt. Rev. Bishop Alerding, of the diocese of Ft. Wayne, officiating at a ceremony solemnized at Hammond last Sunday when St. Margaret's hospital was dedicated to the use of the church and its members.
Over three thousand people attended the services which were very beautiful and impressive. The events of the day began with the serving of an elaborate dinner in the basement of the new hospital early in the morning. The guests were served until three o'clock by Ladies of St. Joseph's and All Saints churches. Later in the day there was parade in which all the Catholic societies of the city took part.
After the parade the ceremonies of the day were held, the principal feature being the adress [sic] by Bishop Alerding. A large number of visiting nuns and priests were in attendance and many Catholics from various places in the diocese.
Source:
The Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Porter County, Indiana; July 15, 1909; Volume 26, Number 16, Page 7, Column 6. Column titled "Dedicated Hospital. Impressive Services at Hammond on Sunday."
Copyright 2007. Some rights reserved. The associated text may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of Steven R. Shook.
Dino Lilli
(Perugia, 1898 – 1971) è stato un architetto italiano, che operò principalmente in Umbria nel XX secolo.
Appartenente ad una famiglia di costruttori, si laureò all'Accademia di Belle Arti di Perugia.
Fu influenzato dallo stile liberty e successivamente dalle correnti razionaliste austriache (Cinema Teatro Lilli, 1942).
Progettò e seguì la realizzazione dell'ampliamento del Palazzo Gallenga in Perugia, sede della Università per Stranieri di Perugia e la ristrutturazione negli anni '30 della sede centrale della Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia in Palazzo Lippi Alessandri.
Fu Presidente dell'Associazione Industriali Provinciale di Perugia (Confindustria) dal 1951 al 1966.
Dedicated to the Semitic god Bel (Baal), lunar god Aglibol & sun god Yarhibol.
Architect: the Greek Alexandras (Αλεξάνδρας).
(•) – The Lockheed Martin HC-130J Hercules The Combat King II is the U.S. Air Force's only dedicated fixed-wing personnel recovery platform and is flown by the Air Education and Training Command (AETC) and Air Combat Command (ACC). This C-130J variation specializes in tactical profiles and avoiding detection and recovery operations in austere environments. The HC-130J replaces HC-130P/Ns as the only dedicated fixed-wing Personnel Recovery platform in the Air Force inventory. It is an extended-range version of the C-130J Hercules transport. Its mission is to rapidly deploy to execute combatant commander directed recovery operations to austere airfields and denied territory for expeditionary, all weather personnel recovery operations to include airdrop, airland, helicopter air-to-air refueling, and forward area ground refueling missions. When tasked, the aircraft also conducts humanitarian assistance operations, disaster response, security cooperation/aviation advisory, emergency aeromedical evacuation, and noncombatant evacuation operations.
Features
Modifications to the HC-130J have improved navigation, threat detection and countermeasures systems. The aircraft fleet has a fully-integrated inertial navigation and global positioning systems, and night vision goggle, or NVG, compatible interior and exterior lighting. It also has forward-looking infrared, radar and missile warning receivers, chaff and flare dispensers, satellite and data-burst communications, and the ability to receive fuel inflight via a Universal Aerial Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installation (UARRSI).
The HC-130J can fly in the day; however, crews normally fly night at low to medium altitude levels in contested or sensitive environments, both over land or overwater. Crews use NVGs for tactical flight profiles to avoid detection to accomplish covert infiltration/exfiltration and transload operations. To enhance the probability of mission success and survivability near populated areas, crews employ tactics that include incorporating no external lighting or communications, and avoiding radar and weapons detection.
Drop zone objectives are done via personnel drops and equipment drops. Rescue bundles include illumination flares, marker smokes and rescue kits. Helicopter air-to-air refueling can be conducted at night, with blacked out communication with up to two simultaneous helicopters. Additionally, forward area refueling point operations can be executed to support a variety of joint and coalition partners.
Background
The HC-130J is a result of the HC/MC-130 recapitalization program and replaces Air Combat Command's aging HC-130P/N fleet as the dedicated fixed-wing personnel recovery platform in the Air Force inventory. The 71st and 79th Rescue Squadrons in Air Combat Command, the 550th Special Operations Squadron in Air Education and Training Command, the 920th Rescue Group in Air Force Reserve Command and the 106th Rescue Wing, 129th RQW and 176th Wing in the Air National Guard will operate the aircraft.
First flight was 29 July 2010, and the aircraft will serve the many roles and missions of the HC-130P/Ns. It is a modified KC-130J aircraft designed to conduct personnel recovery missions, provide a command and control platform, in-flight-refuel helicopters and carry supplemental fuel for extending range or air refueling.
In April 2006, the personnel recovery mission was transferred back to Air Combat Command at Langley AFB, Va. From 2003 to 2006, the mission was under the Air Force Special Operations Command at Hurlburt Field, Fla. Previously, HC-130s were assigned to ACC from 1992 to 2003. They were first assigned to the Air Rescue Service as part of Military Airlift Command.
General Characteristics
Primary function: Fixed-wing Personnel Recovery platform
Contractor: Lockheed Aircraft Corp.
Power Plant: Four Rolls Royce AE2100D3 turboprop engines
Thrust: 4,591 Propeller Shaft Horsepower, each engine
Wingspan: 132 feet, 7 inches (40.4 meters)
Length: 97 feet, 9 inches (29.57 meters)
Height: 38 feet, 9 inches (11.58 meters)
Operating Weight: 89,000 pounds (40,369 kilograms)
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 164,000 pounds (74,389 kilograms)
Fuel Capacity: 61,360 pounds (9,024 gallons)
Payload: 35,000 pounds (15,875 kilograms)
Speed: 316 knots indicated air speed at sea level
Range: beyond 4,000 miles (3,478 nautical miles)
Ceiling: 33,000 feet (10,000 meters)
Armament: countermeasures/flares, chaff
Basic Crew: Three officers (pilot, co-pilot, combat system officer) and two enlisted loadmasters
Unit Cost: $66 million (fiscal 2010 replacement cost)
Initial operating capability: 2013.
Dedicated to Tatiana, and childhood!
A much better shot than the last one, just showing the snowdrops are open.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dedicated to Susan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ancient Greek has four distinct words for love: agápe, éros, philía, and storgē.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Born on a magic date ~ 03.03.2011 ~ Philia is the most amicable, friendly and funny little goat I've ever known, and she truly lives up to her name:
In modern Greek, Philia means friendship or affectionate love; it is a virtuous love which includes loyalty to friends & family & community, and requires virtue & equality & familiarity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Children try our playground equipment at Banyan Park in Newbury Park, while Conejo Valley Recreation and Park District officials dedicated 3.6-acre neighborhood facility Friday. News Chronicle Collection, photographer unknown. 03-26-1967_1, CTO_316.
We’re happy to share this digital image on Flickr. Please note that this is a copyrighted image. For information regarding obtaining a reproduction of this image, please contact the Special Collections Librarian of the Thousand Oaks Library at specoll@tolibrary.org
Dedicated to R_Jazzy!
"Do it with style or don't bother doing it."
Jazz loves Earth culture. Always looking to learn more. His knowledge of Earth makes him the indispensable right-hand man to Optimus Prime. Takes most dangerous missions. Very cool, very stylish, very competent. Equipped with photon rifle, flamethrower, full-spectrum beacon, 180db stereo speakers. Creates dazzling, disorienting sound and light shows. Versatile, clever, daring, but prone to be distracted.
Hoysaleswara temple (also spelt "Hoysaleshwara" or Hoysaleshvara") is a temple dedicated to Hindu god Shiva. It was built in Halebidu (in modern Karnataka state, India) during the rule of King Vishnuvardhana of the Hoysala Empire in the 12th century. The construction was started around 1120 CE and completed in 1150 CE. During the early 14th century, Halebidu was sacked and looted by Muslim invaders from northern India and the temple fell into a state of ruin and neglect. Previously known as Dorasamudra or Dwarasamudra, Halebidu is 16 km from Belur, 31 km from Hassan and 149 km from Mysore, in the state of Karnataka, India.
HISTORY
According to art critic and historian S. Settar, from contemporary inscriptions it is known that the temple derives its name from the Hoysala ruler at that time, King Vishnuvardhana Hoysaleswara, though interestingly, the construction of the temple was initiated and financed by wealthy Shaiva (a Hindu sect) citizens of the city, prominent among who were Ketamalla and Kesarasetti. The temple building activity was taken up in competition to the construction of the Chennakesava Temple at Belur, a Vaishnava (a Hindu sect) temple. Surrounded by numerous tanks, ponds and mantapas, the temple is built in the vicinity of the large Dorasamudhra lake. The tank preceded the temple by nearly 75 years. It is one of the largest temples dedicated to the god Shiva in South India.
TEMPLE PLAN
The temple is a simple dvikuta vimana (plan with two shrines and two superstructures), one for "Hoysaleswara" (the king) and the other for "Shantaleswara" (named after Shantala Devi, queen of King Vishnuvardhana) and is built with chloritic chist (more commonly known as Soapstone or potstone). The temple complex as a whole is elevated on a jagati (platform), which according to historian Kamath, is a feature that became popular in contemporary Hoysala constructions. According to art historian Foekema, the two shrines which are adjoining, face east and each have a mantapa (hall) in front. The two mantapas are connected giving a large and imposing view of the hall. Individually, each shrine is smaller than the one at the Chennakesava Temple at Belur and contains a simple linga, the universal symbol of the god Shiva. The plan of the inside of the temple is simple but the exterior looks different because of the introduction of many projections and recesses in the walls. The towers of the shrines that are missing must have followed the star shape of the shrine, just as in many existing well-preserved towers in other Hoysala temples. The superstructure over the vestibule which connects the shrine to the mantapa, called sukanasi (a low tower that looks like an extension of the main tower), and the row of decorated miniature roofs above the eaves of the hall are all missing. The temple was built at a height that provided the architects sufficient horizontal and vertical space to depict large and small sculptures. According to the art critic James Fergusson, the overall effect of the vertical and horizontal lines, the play of the outline, the effect of light and shade and the plan of the projections and recesses all amounts to a "marvellous exhibition of human labor to be found even in the patient east and surpasses anything in Gothic art". The outer walls of these temples contain an intricate array of stone sculptures. The temple of Halebidu, has been described by art critics James Fergusson and Percy Brown as an "outstanding example of Hindu architecture" and as the "supreme climax of Indian architecture".
The temple has four porches for entry and the one normally used by visitors as main entry is actually a lateral entrance (north). There is one entry on the south side and two on the east side, facing two large detached open pavilions whose ceiling is supported by lathe turned pillars. All entry porches have miniature shrines as flanking. In addition there is a sanctuary for the Sun god Surya, whose image stands 2.1 m tall. The pavilions enshrine large images of Nandi, the bull, an attendant of Shiva. The pavilions share the same jagati as the main temple. As in the Chennakesava temple, this temple originally had an open mantapa to which outer walls with pierced window screens made with the same material were erected, making the mantapa a closed one. The window screens are devoid of any art work. The interior of the temple is quite plain except for the lathe turned pillars that run in rows between the north and south entrances. According to Settar, the four pillars in front of each shrine are the most ornate and the only ones that have the madanika (chaste maidens) sculptures in their pillar brackets. There are no other madanikas in the temple.
SCULPTURES
The Hoysaleswara temple is most well known for its sculptures that run all along the outer wall, starting with an dancing image of the god Ganesha on the left side of the south entrance and ending with another image of Ganesha on the right hand side of the north entrance. In all there are two hundred and forty such images. According to the art critic Gerard Foekema, perhaps no other Hoysala temple is as articulate in sculpture as this is and these sculptures are "second to none in all of India". The most intricate of all sculptures are found in the lintels over two of the doorways, one on the south side doorway and the other on one of the eastern doorways.
HORIZONTRAL TREATMENT
In this temple the Hoysala architects have broken from the tradition of using five moldings with friezes (which is the "old stlye") at the base of the temple, below the large wall sculptures and the window screens. The outer walls have two eaves that run around the temple. The top eaves is at the roof of the temple where the superstructure meets the wall, and the second eaves is about a meter below. In between there are decorated miniature towers (aedicule). Below the lower eaves are the wall sculptures and below them, the eight moldings. Historian Kamath calls this type of relief work "horizontal treatment". Each of the eight friezes carries an array of decoration. Going from the bottom where the temple wall meets the platform, the lowest frieze depicts charging elephants which symbolize strength and stability, above which, in order, are friezes with lions which symbolize courage, floral scrolls as decoration, horses symbolizing speed, another band of floral scrolls, depictions from the Hindu epics, mythical beasts called makara and finally a frieze with hansas (swans). According to Foekema, no two animals are alike in a total frieze span of over 200 m. In the epic frieze, the epics are not continuous as they are mixed with other depictions. After the construction of this temple, Hoysala architects used this new kind of horizontal treatment only fifty years later, making it a standard style, though they reduced it to six molding friezes.
GARUDA PILLAR
Another interesting object in the temple complex is the rare Garuda Sthamba (Garuda pillar). According to Settar, these are different from virgals (Hero stone). Garudas were elite bodyguards of the kings and queens. They moved and lived with the royal family and their only purpose was to protect their master. Upon the death of their master, they committed suicide. The rare pillar on the south side depicts heroes brandishing knives and cutting their own heads. The inscription honors Kuruva Lakshma, a bodyguard of Veera Ballala II. A devoted officer, he took his life and that of his wife and other bodyguards after the death of his master. This event is narrated in an old Kannada inscription on the pillar. A 2.4 m tall sculpture of Ganesha including the platform rests at the South entrance.
Dedicated to the grandmas (grand mamas) on Flickr! They're important to Pensive glance as grandmothers as well as photographers!
- Aux mémés...
Dédicacée aux grandmères (mémés) au Flickr! Elles sont importantes pour Pensive glance autant que grandmères que comme photographes!
Dedicated to those that have lost their apetite. For our foreign friends that do not know what is Kontosouvli shown in the note, it consists of pork meat and in between there are vegetables! It is situated in Steni Evoias! Enjoy it my friends! This is outside of a tavern!
The last chapel currently in use at the Virginia National Guard Maneuver Training Center at Fort Pickett was dedicated May 24, 2011 to Chaplain (1st Lt.) Thomas McNeill Bulla who died from combat wounds in World War I. Maj. Gen. Frank E. Batts, Sr., commander of the 29th Infantry Division, and Col. Tom Wilkinson, commander of Fort Pickett, unveiled the new sign outside the chapel as part of the dedication. Several of Bulla's relatives also attended the event.
Bulla was born near Fayetteville, North Carolina, on January 4, 1881. Soon after he graduated from Union Theological Seminary he moved to Emporia where became the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in 1911. Bulla volunteered to become a chaplain after a request by the colonel of the 4th Virginia Infantry, an element of the Virginia National Guard, and was appointed in the rank of first lieutenant. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion newly organized 29th “Blue and Gray” Division. The entire 29th Division sailed to France in June 1918 and first entered combat in the Alsace Sector in August but suffered relatively light casualties. That changed when, starting on October 8, the division took part in the massive Allied operation known as the Meuse-Argonne Offensive.
It was apparently during the opening days of this attack that Chaplain Bulla repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire by moving across “no man’s land” helping wounded soldiers to safety. This was duty neither required nor expected of an Army chaplain. On the morning of October 15, the 3rd Battalion, 116th Infantry was the lead element for yet another attack in the area known as the Molleville Farm. It was during this assault that Bulla, again helping wounded soldiers, was struck by enemy fire and mortally wounded. He was evacuated to an Army hospital at Petite Mejoy where he died of his wounds on October 17. (Photo by Cotton Puryear, Virginia Department of Military Affairs)
Healthy Worksite Summit is the Northwest’s premier training event dedicated to making workplaces healthy places. Employers come together to learn, share, and explore the latest trends in workplace health promotion.
• Be inspired by health promotion thought-leaders.
• Attend a wide variety of workshops, featuring hot topics for newcomers and seasoned wellness professionals.
• Network with other health promotion professionals in this information-rich environment.
• Explore our exhibitor showcase to learn about the latest resources to enhance employee health.
• Salute outstanding wellness programs recognized with the Golden Apple Award.
Pics from the AuthentiCity Lounge, the dedicated space in NYC where the AuthentiCity exhibition took place.
“AuthentiCity” is a photography project conceived in cooperation with the School of Visual Arts (SVA), New York, aimed at young international artists who are SVA students or alumni.
The project theme – “Revealing purity and authenticity in urban life” – is an invitation to use the straightforward language of photography to explore signs of authenticity and purity in the urban setting.
The project began with more than 200 photographers, educated at SVA, who were charged with capturing their vision of urban life. The 19 works selected in the preliminary stage were presented last April in an open exhibition during the Milan Design Week. Five of the 19 photographers, Carlos Alvarez Montero, Igor Aronov, Matthew Baum, Giselle Behrens and Caroline Shepard, were then selected, through a series of juror selections, to continue their work and each received a cash prize of $3000.00. Project winners were then chosen to be featured in the dedicated exhibition at the illy issimo AuthentiCity Lounge in New York.
Pics from the AuthentiCity Lounge, the dedicated space in NYC where the AuthentiCity exhibition took place.
“AuthentiCity” is a photography project conceived in cooperation with the School of Visual Arts (SVA), New York, aimed at young international artists who are SVA students or alumni.
The project theme – “Revealing purity and authenticity in urban life” – is an invitation to use the straightforward language of photography to explore signs of authenticity and purity in the urban setting.
The project began with more than 200 photographers, educated at SVA, who were charged with capturing their vision of urban life. The 19 works selected in the preliminary stage were presented last April in an open exhibition during the Milan Design Week. Five of the 19 photographers, Carlos Alvarez Montero, Igor Aronov, Matthew Baum, Giselle Behrens and Caroline Shepard, were then selected, through a series of juror selections, to continue their work and each received a cash prize of $3000.00. Project winners were then chosen to be featured in the dedicated exhibition at the illy issimo AuthentiCity Lounge in New York.
More info about illy issimo and the AuthentiCity project @:
Our dedicated CIP in China is specifically designed for students and graduates who wanted to take a lead in global cities. We offer short term (up to 3 months) internship and long term (6-12 months) paid and unpaid employment positions in global cities in China such as Beijing, Dalian and Chengdu.
Dedicated to the designers, developers and engineers who build the world’s most engaging user interfaces. From the community, for the community.
Dedicated to my late Mom, Muriel, and all the mothers out there.
This is called a 'tete-a-tete' daffodil and I am thankful to have had lots of good talks with my Mom, so the name is fitting.
From the Altimeter report State of Social Business 2013, by Brian Solis and Charlene Li. Download the report at: bit.ly/ssb-2013
Dedicated in 1914, St. Ignatius is the University of San Francisco's campus chapel, and a Roman Catholic parish church.
Senior Master Sgt. Kent Kraiter, of the 119th Wing, North Dakota Air National Guard, right, and retired Chief Master Sgt. Jennifer Kraiter, in pink, visit the grave of Kent’s father retired Sgt. 1st Class Gregory Kraiter, a U.S. Army veteran of the Vietnam War and the Persian Gulf War, as Kent’s mother, Paulette, looks on at the Fargo National Cemetery, near Fargo, N.D., May 25, 2020. The veteran’s cemetery was dedicated Sept. 7, 2019. This is the first Veteran’s Day for the new cemetery. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by David H. Lipp)
A dedicated film scanner for 35mm film and slides; this one came with an adaptor for APS film as well. The ability to scan APS film is great (for me), but the lack of ICE dust removal makes scanning more demanding.
Dedicated to Soviet soldiers who died during World War II. Alexander Garden, Moscow Kremlin. March 30, 2014. Photo: Neah Monteiro
Dedicated to Maninha do Marcão (Marcia Vianna - www.flickr.com/photos/30338624@N08/), who likes this kind of roses, to thank her for her kind support
- Comme toujours une rose rouge
The first Carmelites were male hermits, former pilgrims and crusaders who gathered together in 1155 AD at Mount Carmel in Palestine and dedicated themselves to a life of austerity, poverty and prayer. This life attracted enough devout seekers after salvation to make the order one of the largest and most influential mendicant brotherhoods of the Middle Ages and almost from the beginning there were women who wanted to emulate the stark unforgiving lives of the Carmelite monks. Eventually the clamour for equal rights to the unflinching severity of sanctified poverty grew too great to ignore and in 1452 John Soreth, Prior General of the Carmelites, officially affiliated the first nuns with the order. It was a hard won battle as many of the old guard objected and wanted the order to remain exclusively male, but it was too late. The walls were down: the citadel had fallen.
The sisters in the convent at Ronda belong to the Mercedarian order. It is a cloistered order devoted to prayer, penance and perpetual abstinence. Visitors are welcome, but care should be taken to respect the nuns' privacy and the enveloping tranquillity of their home.
The Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Merced is one of Ronda’s more curious churches, as it is also a convent for the nuns and priests of the Discalced Carmelites of Ronda and is more correctly a Basilica since it is home to a holy relic, the incorruptible hand of Saint Teresa of Avila. Saint Teresa reformed the Carmelite Order in her lifetime, and after her death her remains were found to be incorrupt, so as was the custom of her time, parts of her body were removed, one of which was the left hand. This eventually came into the possession of the Discalced Carmelites of Spain, and in particular their Ronda convent prior to the Spanish civil war. General Franco, who was a devout Catholic, seized the incorrupt hand after the end civil war, and rumour has it he kept the relic in his sleeping chambers for the duration of his tenure as ruler of Spain. After his death the Discalced Carmelites of Ronda requested its return, and on the 21st of January 1976 it was finally returned. Needless to say Ronda celebrated in traditional style with a massive party.
The Sisters at the Convent are also world- renowned for the quality of their special cakes and biscuits, which they sell through a ‘turno’, or revolving hatch, in the door. Go to the door to the left of this pretty church and ring the bell. You may speak to the sister on duty but you will not see her. After ordering, place your money in the revolving hatch and the biscuits will be sent out pronto