View allAll Photos Tagged conserver

Kirby Muxloe Castle, also known as Kirby Castle, is an unfinished 15th century fortified manor house in Kirby Muxloe, Leicestershire. It was a brick-built fortified mansion, built for Lord Hastings. It sits in ruins now with a complete corner tower, and is being conserved by English Heritage. One of the few castles in England to have a wet moat of water moat...most soils are too porous...the moats are 60 ft (18 m) wide. Kirby Muxloe Castle, Leicestershire is an unfinished 15th century fortified manor house in Kirby Muxloe surrounded by a moat.

Copyright © 2012 by Scott A. McNealy Photographer. See more of my work at www.noboundaryphotography.co.uk or www.flickr.com/photos/scottamcnealy/

With structural work complete, the Chase sign was then refitted for neon. Although none of the original neon tubing was reusable, technicians were able to chemically analyze remnants of the original neon still inside the tubes to recreate the precise shade of blue in the conserved sign.

The Old Royal Naval College_Greenwich

January 2013

Ananda Pahto : Le temple Ananda, situé à Bagan, Myanmar, est considéré comme l'un des rares chefs-d'œuvre survivants de l'architecture Mon. Aussi connu comme le plus beau plus grand, le mieux conservé et le plus vénéré des temples de Bagan. Lors du tremblement de terre de 1975, Ananda a subi des dommages considérables, mais a été entièrement restauré. Il aurait été construit vers 1105 par le roi Kyanzittha. Ce temple aux proportions parfaites annonce la fin stylistique de la première période Bagan et le début de la période médiane. En 1990, pour le 900e anniversaire de la construction du temple, les aiguilles du temple ont été dorées. Le reste de l'extérieur du temple est blanchie à la chaux de temps à autre. Il y a une légende disant qu'il y avait 8 moines qui sont arrivés un jour au palais demander l'aumône. Ils ont dit au roi que, une fois, ils avaient vécu dans le temple de la grotte Nandamula dans l'Himalaya. Le roi était fasciné par les contes et a invité les moines à retourner à son palais. Les moines, avec leurs pouvoirs méditatifs, auraient montré au roi le paysage mythique de l'endroit où ils sont allés. Le Roi Kyanzittha a été tellement enthousiasmé à cette vue qu’il aurait désiré construire un temple qui serait frais à l’intérieur au milieu de la plaine de Bagan. Après la construction du temple, le roi aurait exécuté les architectes afin de préserver l’unicité du style du temple.

 

Ananda Pahto ; Ananda temple, located at Bagan, Myanmar, is considered to be one of the rare surviving masterpiece of the Mon architecture. Also known as the finest, largest, best preserved and most revered of the Bagan temples. During the 1975 earthquake, Ananda suffered considerable damage but has been totally restored. It is said to have been built around 1105 by King Kyanzittha. This perfectly proportioned temple heralds the stylistic end of the Early Bagan period and the beginning of the Middle period. In 1990, on the 900th anniversary of the temple's construction, the temple spires were gilded. The remainder of the temple exterior is whitewashed from time to time. There is a legend saying that there were 8 monks who arrived one day to the palace begging for alms. They told the king that once, they had lived in the Nandamula Cave temple in the Himalayas. The King was fascinated by the tales and invited the monks to return to his palace. The monks, with their meditative powers, showed the king the mythical landscape of the place they have been. King Kyanzittha was overwhelmed by the sight and had a desire for building a temple which would be cool inside in the middle of the Bagan plains. After the construction of the temple, the king executed the architects just to make the style of the temple so unique.

 

20100829

 

Bagan Myanmar

 

Wood-conserving stoves are saving thousands of trees, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and greatly improving women's and children's health in Central America. Utilizing up to 50% less wood as a “traditional” open pit fireplace and reducing the amount of smoke and black carbon in the home, the wood-conserving stoves (or Justa stoves) being implemented by SHI are a radical and healthy change. Traditionally, the walls and roofs of rural homes in Central America would be caked with black soot, while smoke being inhaled by women and children would be the equivalent of smoking 2 to 5 packs of cigarettes per day. Such traditional stoves, notorious for consuming large amounts of wood, are also a main cause of respiratory infections, tuberculosis, eye disease and more. According to the World Health Organization, about 1.6 million deaths around the world were associated with indoor air pollution or the burning of biomass as cooking fuel.

 

Using a combination of bricks and adobes, the wood conserving stoves being installed by SHI Field Trainers and participants have been known to:

 

-Cut wood consumption by up to 50%

-Reduce indoor smoke by 90%, thus reducing carbon monoxide and particulate matter

-Save an average of 1.5 tons of carbon emissions per year (according to tests conducted by Trees, Water, People)

 

More info and how you can contribute: www.sustainableharvest.org/techniques/wood-conserving-stoves

 

Leeds City Museum, originally established in 1819, reopened in 2008 in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is housed in the former Mechanics' Institute built by Cuthbert Brodrick, in Cookridge Street (now Millennium Square). It is one of nine sites in the Leeds Museums & Galleries group.

 

Admission to the museum is free of charge. Special exhibitions are hosted alongside a collection of displays from the Leeds Archive.

 

History

In 1819, a museum was established in Philosophical Hall, Bond Street, by the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society, and in 1821 it opened to the public. In 1921, control of the museum was handed to the Corporation of Leeds which later became Leeds City Council. In 1862, Philosophical Hall was rebuilt in Park Row, where its stone portico can still be seen on the west side of the road. In 1941, the museum building and artifacts were badly damaged by bombing. In 1965 the museum was closed, and a few exhibits removed to a couple of rooms in the city library in 1966. The oversized Leeds Tiger, the giant moose skeleton and the carved wooden cart took up much of the space. In 1999 the museum went into storage, though researchers and the public could view items by appointment. In 2000, the resource centre at Yeadon opened, under the same appointment-to-view arrangement. In 2001, Leeds City Council bid for National Lottery cash, and in 2004, it was awarded £19.5 million, so in 2005, the Leeds Mechanics' Institute building (designed by Cuthbert Brodrick and built 1865–1868) began to be redesigned as Leeds City Museum, finally to reopen in 2008. It was redeveloped to a design by Austin-Smith:Lord architects and Buro Happold engineers. The gallery and exhibit design was provided by Redman Design.

 

The exhibits

While exhibits vary, they are mainly made up of exhibits from Leeds' history. The central hall has a large map of Leeds printed on the floor. There is also a scale model of the Quarry Hill flats.

 

Life on Earth gallery

This is the natural history gallery, featuring everything from a meteorite to dinosaur dung (coprolite). In 2019, the skeleton of a Long-finned Pilot Whale was hung from the ceiling just outside the gallery. There are several vintage taxidermy-mounts conserved by James Dickinson in 2008, including the Armley Hippo, the Leeds polar bear and the Leeds Irish Elk.

 

Leeds Tiger

A large, taxidermy-mounted Bengal tiger, this exhibit came to Leeds in 1862. It was shot by Colonel Charles Reid in the valley of Deyrah Dhoon near Mussoorie hill station in Uttarakhand, India in March, 1860. It was originally exhibited at the 1862 International Exhibition in London as a skin - hence its odd shape - before being turned into a taxidermy mount by Edwin Henry Ward (father of Rowland Ward). The Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society received the mounted tiger as a donation from William Gott, and it has been on display to the people of Leeds almost continuously for over 150 years.

 

The original tiger has been subject to various myths over the years. The Yorkshire Evening Post said, "We'll never know for certain whether the Leeds Tiger really lived up to its dangerous reputation, but today it sends a shiver down the spines of visitors to Leeds City Museum." However the pelt may now be dangerous after all, in a sense, as the Victorians will have preserved it with arsenical soap. For over a century it has sagged somewhat, as can be seen in the photograph. Nevertheless, in the early 1860s the tiger was considered an object of beauty:

 

The museum's curator Adrian Norris was quoted in 1979 as saying:

The tiger has always been very popular with the public, and school parties in general, and is one of the few items in the Museum we dare not remove, or cover, for fear of being swamped with complaints from members of the public, who in some cases have travelled many hundreds of miles just to see it.

 

Ancient Worlds gallery

Here are archaeological items from Leeds and around the world.

 

Roman floor mosaic ca 250 CE, depicting she-wolf with Romulus and Remus. This was discovered at Aldborough, North Yorkshire, known to the Romans as Isurium Brigantum.

 

Hellenistic Greek tomb doors ca 250 BCE. These are carved in marble, in bas relief.

 

The Leeds Mummy. In the 1941 bombing raids, two other mummies were destroyed, but Nesyamun's 3000-year-old mummy survived. It is displayed in the current museum building, alongside a rather striking reconstruction of his face.

 

Iron replica of Hellenistic Greek head of Aphrodite. This is a cast replica of the original 1st century BCE head in the British Museum. The original was discovered in 1872 at Satala (now Sadak) in north-eastern Turkey. The eyes were once inlaid with precious stones or paste. Apparently the top of the head was not designed to be empty, like a piece of modern art. It seems that the farmer found it when he hit the top of the head with his axe and damaged it.

 

World View gallery

In 2014 this gallery began hosting a long-term exhibition called 'Voices of Asia', which celebrates the sights, sounds and culture of Asian communities here in Leeds and around the world. The 'faith' element of the display regularly changes. From 2017, the focus was on Buddhism.

 

Leeds Museums & Galleries has large collection of objects from around the world, and Voices of Asia displays just one aspect of the city's holdings. The Leeds African collections are also significant, especially the sculpture, masks and textiles. Since 2019, most are held at Leeds Discovery Centre, which holds representations of North American beadwork, European folk items and the traditional arts of Oceania.

 

Leeds Story gallery

The history of Leeds from prehistory to the modern day. One of the key objects on display is the Malham Pipe, originally identified as an Iron Age flute made from bone, its dating has been revised to the early medieval period. The West Yorkshire Hoard is an example of one aspect of medieval Leeds.

 

Special exhibitions

On the third floor is a gallery space dedicated to a changing exhibition programme. One previous exhibition was 'Beavers to Weavers' looking at things created by creatures.

 

Collectors Cabinet

The Circe bronze by Alfred Drury. This was commissioned from Drury in 1894 by Leeds Art Gallery. It was displaced to Park Square in the 1950s when Victorian art went out of fashion. It was weathered and damaged, but has been restored recently. It was Drury who made the eight beautiful bronze lampholder girls in Leeds City Square, plus the bronze of Joseph Priestley nearby.

 

Associated curators

Henry Denny

Elizabeth Pirie

Violet Crowther

 

Leeds is a city in West Yorkshire, England. It is the largest settlement in Yorkshire and the administrative centre of the City of Leeds Metropolitan Borough, which is the second most populous district in the United Kingdom. It is built around the River Aire and is in the eastern foothills of the Pennines. The city was a small manorial borough in the 13th century and a market town in the 16th century. It expanded by becoming a major production centre, including of carbonated water where it was invented in the 1760s, and trading centre (mainly with wool) for the 17th and 18th centuries.

 

Leeds developed as a mill town during the Industrial Revolution alongside other surrounding villages and towns in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It was also known for its flax industry, iron foundries, engineering and printing, as well as shopping, with several surviving Victorian era arcades, such as Kirkgate Market. City status was awarded in 1893, and a populous urban centre formed in the following century which absorbed surrounding villages and overtook the population of nearby York.

 

Leeds economy is the most diverse of all the UK's main employment centres, and has seen the fastest rate of private-sector jobs growth of any UK city and has the highest ratio of private to public sector jobs. Leeds is home to over 109,000 companies generating 5% of England's total economic output of £60.5 billion, and is also ranked as a gamma world city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. Leeds is considered the cultural, financial and commercial heart of the West Yorkshire Urban Area. Leeds is the largest legal and financial centre in the UK, with the financial and insurance services industry worth £13 billion to regional economy.

 

Leeds is also served by four universities, and has the fourth largest student population in the country and the country's fourth largest urban economy. The student population has stimulated growth of the nightlife in the city and there are ample facilities for sporting and cultural activities, including classical and popular music festivals, and a varied collection of museums.

 

Leeds has multiple motorway links such as the M1, M62 and A1(M). The city's railway station is, alongside Manchester Piccadilly, the busiest of its kind in Northern England. Public transport, rail and road networks in the city and wider region are widespread. It is the county's largest settlement with a population of 536,280, while the larger City of Leeds district has a population of 812,000 (2021 census). The city is part of the fourth-largest built-up area by population in the United Kingdom, West Yorkshire Built-up Area, with a 2011 census population of 1.7 million.

 

Loidis, from which Leeds, Yorkshire derives its name, was anciently a forested area of the Celtic kingdom of Elmet. The settlement certainly existed at the time of the Norman conquest of England and in 1086 was a thriving manor under the overlordship of Ilbert de Lacy. It gained its first charter from Maurice de Gant in 1207 yet only grew slowly throughout the medieval and Tudor periods. The town had become part of the Duchy of Lancaster and reverted to the crown in the medieval period, so was a Royalist stronghold at the start of the English Civil War.

 

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries Leeds prospered and expanded as a centre of the woollen industry and it continued to expand rapidly in the Industrial Revolution. Following a period of post industrial decline in the mid twentieth century Leeds' prosperity revived with the development of tertiary industrial sectors.

 

Name

The name "Leeds" is first attested in the form "Loidis": around 731 Bede mentioned it in book II, chapter 14 of his Historia ecclesiastica, in a discussion of an altar surviving from a church erected by Edwin of Northumbria, located in "...regione quae vocatur Loidis" ('the region known as Loidis'). This was evidently a regional name, but it subsequently occurs in the 1086 Domesday Book denoting a settlement, in the later Old English form Ledes. (The 1725 map by John Cossins spells it as Leedes.) The name is not Old English in form, so is presumably an Anglo-Saxonisation of an earlier Celtic name. It is hard to be sure what this name was; Mills's A Dictionary of British Place-Names prefers Celtic *Lādenses 'people living by the strongly flowing river'. This name may be derived from the Brittonic *lāto- meaning "rut, heat" (in animals ready to mate),[3] an element represented in Welsh as llawd, "heat", and possibly cognate to Greek plōtós, "flowing".

 

It has been surmised that the name denoted either a forest covering most of the kingdom of Elmet, which existed during the fifth century into the early seventh, or an early river-name, presumably that of the River Aire. An inhabitant of Leeds is locally known as a Loiner, possibly derived from Loidis.

 

Leeds City Council maintains "a photographic archive of Leeds" using the title "Leodis", thought to be an Old English or Celtic form of the name.

 

Prehistoric to Anglo-Saxon periods

There is no dependable reference to any place that might be associated with Leeds, before Bede's mention in circa 730 AD; and that was to a region rather than a village or town; thus little is known of any Roman, British or Anglo-Saxon predecessors to Leeds.

 

As well as scattered Bronze Age objects throughout the Leeds area, there were, according to 19th-century records, two Bronze Age barrows on Woodhouse Moor. In the pre-Roman and Roman Iron Age, the vicinity of Leeds was associated with the Brigantes; as well as possible Roman-period earthworks, a paved ford across the River Aire has been discovered, and is supposed to date to Roman times. Brigantian remains have been found in villages and towns in the vicinity of Leeds, and there are Roman remains in nearby settlements, notably at Adel, and at Alwoodley; in the suburb of Headingley a stone coffin was found in 1995 at Beckett's Park which is believed to date from Roman times.

 

Bede's account indicates activity in the vicinity of Leeds, though not necessarily near the town as it is now known: his unidentified place-name Campodonum might refer to an important place in the area; and one Abbot Thrythwulf had a monastery nearby in Bede's time, though it did not last long into the medieval period. Campodonum is possibly, Elmet capital and Roman fort (anylised as camp+(l)odonum), Cambodunum. Cambodunum is a possible earlier Latin form name of Camelot, likely due to its location and early Brittonic ties.

 

Evidence for major wealth and status comes from fragments of at least six stone crosses/other monuments, with the ninth- to tenth-century decoration characteristic of Anglo-Scandinavian culture, which were found in the fabric of the 14th-century Leeds Parish Church when it was demolished and replaced in 1838, now site of Leeds Minster. The best preserved, now in the modern church, depicts alongside other images the story of Wayland the Smith.

 

Leeds's profile was raised by the 2008-09 discovery of the West Yorkshire Hoard, a small, probably tenth- or eleventh-century treasure hoard of items from the early 7th century onwards, in the Leeds area. It seems likely that the Anglo-Saxon settlement consisted largely of an ecclesiastical site, a ford over the River Aire, and Kirkgate. Other evidence for occupation in the Anglo-Saxon period lies in the old Shire Oak at Headingley, which is believed to have lent its name to the wapentake of Skyrack, and in the presence of many places around Leeds which have the termination of their names in ley: such as Bramley, Rodley, Farnley, Armley, Wortley, and Farsley, which is derived from the Anglo-Saxon leah, an open place in the wood.

 

Norman period

Leeds parish is thought to have developed from a large British estate sub-divided, under Anglo-Saxon occupation, into smaller land holdings. The ancient estate straddled the wapentakes of Morley and Skyrack, encompassing Leeds, Headingley, Allerton, Gipton, Bramley, Armley, Farnley, Beeston and Ristone (Wortley). Leeds parish in Skyrack was the most important of these holdings. Leeds was then further sub divided so that when the first dependable historical record about Leeds (as "Ledes") was written in the Domesday book of 1086, it was recorded as having comprised seven small manors in the days of Edward the Confessor. At the time of the Norman conquest, Leeds was evidently a purely agricultural domain, of about 1,000 acres (4 km2) in extent. It was divided into seven manors, held by as many thanes; they possessed six ploughs; there was a priest, and a church, and a mill: its taxable value was six pounds. When the Domesday records were made, it had slightly increased in value; the seven thanes had been replaced by twenty-seven villeins, four sokemen, and four bordars. The villains were what we should now call day-labourers: the soke or soc men were persons of various degrees, from small owners under a greater lord, to mere husbandmen: the bordars are considered by most specialists in Domesday terminology to have been mere drudges, hewers of wood, drawers of water. The mill, when this survey was made, was worth four shillings. There were 10 acres (40,000 m2) of meadow. The tenant in chief was Ilbert de Lacy to whom William the Conqueror had granted a vast Honour stretching widely across country from Lincolnshire into Lancashire, and whose chief stronghold was at Pontefract Castle, a few miles to the south-east.

 

That Leeds was owned by one of the chief favourites of William was fortunate; the probability is that the lands of the de Lacy ownership were spared when the harrying of the North took place. While the greater part of the county was absolutely destitute of human life, and all the land northward lay blackened, Leeds in 1086 had a population of at least two hundred people.

 

There were two significant foci to the settlement; the area around the parish church and the main manorial landholding half a mile to the west of the church. In 1399, according to the Hardynge Chronicle, the captive Richard II was briefly imprisoned at Leeds, before being transported to another de Lacy property at Pontefract, where he was later executed.

 

The kyng then sent kyng Richard to Ledis,

there to be kepte durely in previtee;

fro thens after to Pykering went he needis,

and to Knaresbro' after led was he

but to pontefrete last where he did dee.

In 1147, Cistercian monks settled at Kirkstall, and there from about 1152 began to build Kirkstall Abbey.

 

First borough charter

Leeds was subinfeudated – along with much other land in Yorkshire, by the de Lacy family to the Paynel family; Ralph Paynel is mentioned often in the Domesday entries. He was one of the principal tenants-in-chief in Yorkshire. It was from a descendant of the Paynels, sometimes described as Maurice de Gant, that the inhabitants of Leeds received their first charter, in November, 1207. Leeds had the geographical advantages of being on a river crossing and being on the York to Chester route as well as being close to the Wharfedale to Skipton route through the Pennines. The manorial lords were keen to increase their revenues by exploiting these advantages.

 

The preamble of the charter reads:

 

"I Maurice Paynall have given and granted and by this charter confirmed to my burgesses of Leeds and their heirs franchise and free burgage and their tofts and with each toft half an acre of land for tillage to hold these of me and my heirs in fief and inheritance freely quit and honourably rendering annually to me and my heirs for each toft and half an acre of land sixteen pence at Pentecost and at Martinmas."

 

The charter made various provisions for the appointment of a bailiff (prator) to preside over a court of justice, to collect rents and dues, and to fine recalcitrants; others stipulated for aids when the lord needed monetary help, and placed tenants under obligation to grind corn at his mill and bake in his oven Leeds was granted some rights of self-government and it had burgesses who were freemen. Yet the charter granted to the townspeople of Leeds only the lowest conditions needed for urban development. It did not transform the manor into a borough but established a borough within a manor. It was not coextensive with the manor but consisted of only a group of tenements within it. The new town was laid out along the line of a street, later to be called Briggate, which was wide enough to hold a market, with about thirty burgage plots on either side. The south end of the street had a river crossing but the earliest recorded bridge, from which its name is derived (bridge gate), is in 1384. The population was small in 1207 and remained scanty for a long time afterwards. At the time of the Poll Tax of 1379 it appears not to have exceeded three hundred persons at the very outside; it was certainly one of the smallest towns in Yorkshire, such places as Snaith, Ripon, Tickhill, and Selby exceeding it in importance. Even in the thirteenth century, Leeds consisted of several distinct areas of habitation and activity. There was the old settlement around the parish church, the newly founded borough, the manor house and mill to the west and the town fields at Burmantofts (borough men's tofts). By establishing the borough the manorial revenues were increased and Leeds became more prosperous. Tax returns of 1334 and 1377 show that population of the whole parish before the Black Death was about 1,000 people of whom 350 to 400 lived in the central area including the borough. Leeds began to rank with the more prosperous towns to the east.

 

In 1217 Maurice de Gant lost the Leeds estate by figuring on the wrong side at the battle of Lincoln. His holding passed from him to Ranulf, Earl of Chester, and through him reverted to the de Lacy family; when the de Lacy estates became merged by marriage in the Duchy of Lancaster they passed to the royal family, and, on the accession of Henry IV, were absorbed into the possessions of the Crown.

 

Late Middle Ages

For four centuries after the Norman invasion, the growth of Leeds was slow. Its site had no particular military advantages: the great strategic position of that part of Yorkshire was at Pontefract, close by. It had, at first, no commercial values—it may have been that its first beginnings in its staple wool trade sprang from the wool growing of the Cistercians at Kirkstall Abbey, on its western borders. The township was concerned with little more than agriculture, and such trade as it knew was confined to those retailings which establish themselves wherever communities spring up—dealings in the necessities of life, which, reduced to a minimum, are merely food and clothing. The town itself was small—it was probably confined within a triangle formed on the lines of the present lower Briggate, Kirkgate, and the River Aire, with the parish church at one angle somewhere about, perhaps on, the site of the modern one. The streets would be narrow, unpaved and unlighted. The houses, in spite of the fact that stone is so plentiful in the district, were of wood, whitewashed, in many cases, thatched. St Mary's Whitkirk is the only medieval church remaining, a 15th-century building replacing an earlier one. All around the town lay the open fields and meadows, cultivated on the principle of strip-farming. And beyond these lay the forest of Elmet.

 

Tudor period and incorporation

The Tudor period was a time of transition for Leeds, from a relatively mean settlement to a solid cloth-trading town. In 1470, it was obscure enough to be described as being "near to Rothwell", which in the fifteenth century had the rights of a market town. By 1536, when John Leland visited it, he was able to report of it that it was a pretty market town which stood most by clothing and was as large as Bradford, though not so "quik", by which he evidently meant not so enterprising. Nevertheless, much of the old life and conditions still existed. The Crown was now over-lord, and had been so ever since the accession of Henry IV, and the folk still ground their corn at the King's mills and baked their bread at the King's oven. There was as yet no charter of incorporation, and though the people were rapidly approaching to conditions of liberty their lot was still not very appreciably different from that of their forefathers. Up to the end of the sixteenth century Leeds may be looked upon as existing in semi-feudalism.

 

There is no mention of education in Leeds until 1552, when one William Sheafield, who seems to have been a chantry priest of St. Catherine in Leeds, left property in the town for the establishment of a learned school-master who should teach freely for ever such scholars, youths, and children as should resort to him, with the wise proviso that the Leeds folk themselves should find a suitable building and make up the master's salary to ten pounds a year. Here is the origin of Leeds Grammar School which, first housed in the Calls, and subsequently—through the beneficence of John Harrison—in Lady Lane, had by the end of that century become an institution of vast importance.

 

As the sixteenth century drew to a close, and while the seventeenth was still young, the towns-folk of Leeds secured in the first instance at their own cost, in the second by a strictly limited Royal favour two important privileges—the right of electing their own vicar and of governing themselves in municipal affairs. In 1583 the town bought the advowson of the parish church from its then possessor, Oliver Darnley, for £130, and henceforth the successive vicars were chosen by a body of trustees—the most notably successful experiment in popular election which has ever been known in the National Church. In 1626, Leeds received its first charter of incorporation from Charles I. The charter, premising that Leeds in the County of York is an ancient and populous town, whose inhabitants are well acquainted with the Art and Mystery of making Woollen Cloths, sets up a governing body of one Alderman, nine Burgesses, and twenty Assistants. But the privilege for some years was a limited one: the Crown reserved to itself the rights of appointment to any of the thirty vacancies which might occur by death: popular election did not come for some time.

 

English Civil War and political representation

Eighteen years after the granting of the charter of incorporation, Leeds joined with other towns in the neighbourhood in a Memorial to the King wherein he was besought to settle his differences with the rebellious Parliament. Of this no notice was taken, and in the earlier stages of the Civil War the town was garrisoned for the Royal cause under Sir William Savile. But it was a very small Leeds which he occupied for the King in January 1643, having under him 500 horse and 1,500 foot. He made elaborate preparations for the defence of the place, digging a six-foot trench from St. John's Church by Upper Headrow, Boar Lane, and Swinegate to the banks of the river; erecting breastworks at the north end of the bridge, and placing demi-culverins in a position to sweep Briggate. Against him on Monday, January 23, advanced the redoubtable Sir Thomas Fairfax, at the head of a Parliamentary force which appears to have numbered at least 3000 horse and foot. Finding the bridge at Kirkstall broken down, Fairfax crossed the Aire at Apperley Bridge, and came on to Woodhouse Moor, from where he called on Savile to surrender. Savile returned the answer which was doubtless expected, and in the teeth of a heavy snowstorm, Fairfax led his troops forward to the assault. The action began about two o'clock of the afternoon and appears to have developed on all sides of the town. It rapidly went in favour of the assailants, and by four o'clock the Parliamentarian leaders and their troops were in Briggate and Boar Lane, while Savile and others were fleeing for their lives. Fairfax took nearly 500 prisoners and immediately released them on their promising not to take up arms against the Parliament on any further occasion. Though not a very great affair, it settled the question of King or Commons so far as that part of the West Riding was concerned.

 

The Puritan regime followed on the first successes of the Parliamentarians, and Leeds saw two Puritan ministers placed in the parish church and the new church of St. John. But in 1644 Leeds folk had something else to think: an epidemic, so serious as to rank with the medieval visitations of plague, broke out, and resulted in the death of 1300 inhabitants. The weekly markets were discontinued, and deaths occurred with such startling rapidity that it was impossible to keep pace with them in the parish registers.

 

In 1646 Charles I. came to Leeds a prisoner. After his surrender to the Scottish generals at Kelham, near Newark, he was led northward to Newcastle; on his return from that city, he spent one night in the house called Red Hall, in Upper Head Row.

 

It seems curious that up to the middle of the seventeenth century Leeds had never been directly represented in Parliament. Many now quite insignificant places in Yorkshire had sent members to the House of Commons from a very early period--Malton, Beverley, Northallerton had returned members as far back as 1298; Otley had had two members for centuries. But it was not until 1654 that Adam Baynes was returned to sit at Westminster; he was returned again two years later with Francis Allanson as a second member. This representation came to an end at the Restoration in 1660, and Leeds had no more members of Parliament until the Reform Act 1832. But in 1661 it received some concession from the Crown which was perhaps of more importance to it—a new Municipal Charter. There had been some readjustment of the old one in 1642, but Charles II's Charter was of a far-reaching nature. It set up a Mayor, twelve Aldermen, twenty-four Assistants or Councillors, a Town Clerk, and a Recorder; it also provided for local election to vacancies. From the Charter of Charles I and that of his son are derived the well-known arms of the town. The owls are the Savile owls famous throughout the county, where the Saviles have been legion; the mullets figured on the arms of Thomas Danby, first Mayor. The dependent sheep typifies the wool trade.

 

In 1715 the first history of Leeds was written by Ralph Thoresby, entitled Ducatus Leodiensis; or the Topography of the antient and populous Town and Parish of Leedes.

 

Leeds was mainly a merchant town, manufacturing woollen cloths and trading with Europe via the Humber estuary and the population grew from 10,000 at the end of the seventeenth century to 30,000 at the end of the eighteenth. As a gauge of the importance of the town, by the 1770s Leeds merchants were responsible for 30% of the country's woollen exports, valued at £1,500,000 when 70 years previously Yorkshire accounted for only 20% of exports.

 

Woollen cloth trade

During the Middle Ages, Cistercian monks, such as those at Kirkstall, were involved in sheep farming, and weaving was introduced to West Yorkshire during the reign of Edward III. Leland records the organised trading of woollen cloth in a market that took place on a bridge over the Aire, at the foot of Briggate; this trade occurred under tightly regulated conditions, including specific times. The cloth was predominantly manufactured in individual homes, in the villages surrounding Leeds. (Bradford, by contrast, was the centre of the worsted cloth trade.) There was a fulling mill at Leeds by 1400, and cloth dying may also have been an early centralised activity.

 

By the early 18th century, cloth trading had outstripped the capacity of the bridge, and had moved to trestle tables in up to two rows on each side of Briggate. Ralph Thoresby was involved in the establishment of the first covered cloth market, when with others he secured the permission of the 3rd Viscount Irwin, holder of the Manor of Leeds, to erect the White Cloth Hall. The fact of Wakefield having erected a trading hall in 1710 was almost certainly a driver of change. The new hall opened on 22 May 1711 (It lasted for 65 years before being removed to a new site in The Calls; by the mid-19th century it was taking place in a dedicated trading hall.) Daniel Defoe (c. 1720) mentions that Leeds traders also travelled all over the country, selling cloth on credit terms; and that an export trade existed. In 1758, a coloured or mixed cloth hall was built near Mill Hill – a quadrangular building 66 yards (60 m) by 128 yards (117 m), with capacity for 1800 trading stalls, initially let at three guineas per annum, but later at a premium of £24 per annum. (In the 1890s both the hall and a subsequent hall were demolished to make way for the new General Post Office and the Metropole Hotel.)

 

In 1831, a strike at Gotts Woollen Mill led to the establishment of the Yorkshire Trades Union. This soon dissolved, but in 1887 the Yeadon and Guiseley Factory Workers' Union was founded, this later becoming part of the National Union of Dyers, Bleachers and Textile Workers.

 

Industrial Revolution Expansion

The industrial revolution had resulted in the radical growth of Leeds whose population had risen to over 150,000 by 1840. The city's industrial growth was catalysed by the introduction of the Aire & Calder Navigation in 1699, Leeds and Liverpool Canal in 1816 and the railways from 1834 onwards; the first being the Leeds and Selby Railway opened on 22 September 1834. The first Leeds railway station was at Marsh Lane; the Leeds Wellington station was opened in 1848; the Central in 1854, and the New station in 1869. Little by little the town was linked up with Hull, York, Sheffield, Bradford, Dewsbury; with the Durham and Northumberland towns; with Manchester and Liverpool; and with the Midlands and London.

 

In 1893 Leeds had been granted city status. These industries that developed in the industrial revolution had included making machinery for spinning, machine tools, steam engines and gears as well as other industries based on textiles, chemicals and leather and pottery. Coal was extracted on a large scale and the still functioning Middleton Railway, the first successful commercial steam locomotive railway in the world, transported coal into the centre of Leeds. The track was the first rack railway and the locomotive (Salamanca) was the first to have twin cylinders.

 

Various areas in Leeds developed different roles in the industrial revolution. The city centre became a major centre of transport and commerce, Hunslet and Holbeck became major engineering centres. Armley, Bramley and Kirkstall became milling centres and areas such as Roundhay became middle class suburbs, the building of the Leeds Tramway allowing them better connections with the rest of the city.

 

Barnbow

Barnbow in Cross Gates was a large ammunitions factory producing ten thousand shells per week by August 1915. The worst tragedy ever to happen within Leeds (in terms of fatalities) happened at the Barnbow tragedy of 5 December 1916. 35 workers (all women aged 14 or over) were killed in the Barnbow Munitions Factory, which later became the Royal Ordnance Factory Barnbow. The plant employed 16,000 workers, from Leeds, Selby, Wakefield, Tadcaster and Wetherby and had its own railway station to cope with the daily influx of workers. The railway station had an 850-foot (260 m) platform and 38 special trains from surrounding towns and cities. An explosion from Hall 42 killed 35 workers and mutilated many more. Mechanic Mr William Parking was presented with an engraved silver watch for his bravery in saving factory workers during the incident.

 

Leeds Pals

During the First World War, regiments were made up of men from particular towns, meaning that if one regiment suffered heavy losses, a town or city would suffer heavy losses of its male population. Leeds was one city unfortunate enough to suffer this. By the Second World War, regiments weren't so geographically based. The battalion formed in 1914 and suffered its worse losses in the Battle of the Somme in 1916.

 

Inter-war

During the period between the two world wars, the Leeds Women Citizens League was active in advocating what women's needs for housing were to the national Women's Housing Sub-Committee. This was a parliamentary committee which was established in 1918 by the Ministry of Reconstruction in order discover what a woman's view on post-war housing would look life. Recommendations for the Leeds branch of the league included 'porcelain sinks with plugs' that children could be washed in, as well as 'an upstairs'.

 

Second World War

During the Second World War Leeds made a further contribution to the war effort, although it was perhaps less historically notable than that of the first. Although the result of the sinking of the third Royal naval vessel named 'Ark Royal' which was Leeds's adopted ship the people of Leeds raised over £9 million in 1942 for a new ship, surpassing the £5 million target.

 

Bombing

Leeds escaped the worst of The Blitz, due mainly to its inland location and lack of any significant industrial targets. On the night of the 14 March and early hours of 15 March 1941, Leeds received its worst night of Luftwaffe bombing. Beeston had more bombs dropped on it than any other district of the city, yet escaped with the least damage. Flaxton Terrace was the only street to be damaged during the night-time blackout air raid, with nearly all the other bombs landing on Cross Flatts Park. In his 2005 poem 'Shrapnel' poet Tony Harrison, who was in Beeston on the night of the raid, speculates whether this was an act of heroism by the Luftwaffe pilot, a theory that has been explored ever since the raid. Significant damage was also caused in Holbeck and Headingley, while the Eastern side of the Town Hall was damaged. Bombs were also dropped on the Woodhouse area during nighttime air raids, as the Luftwaffe attempted to destroy an industrial target.

 

Thorp Arch

ROF Thorp Arch was the main munitions factory in the area at this time. The facility which is now a trading estate and retail park, was situated near Wetherby and like Barnbow featured significant railway facilities. The works suffered minor damage from bombing raids. People from all over West Yorkshire travelled to work at the facility by train from Leeds and Wetherby stations.

 

Yeadon

The town of Yeadon housed the underground factory that manufactured the parts for Avro Lancaster bombers. The factory was located alongside the current Leeds Bradford Airport.

 

Rodley

Rodley to the west had two factories, Smiths and Booths, that manufactured cranes and had been converted to make bombs.

 

Modern history

By the 20th century this social and economic had started to change with the creation of the academic institutions that are known today as the University of Leeds and Leeds Beckett University. This period had also witnessed expansion in medical provision, particularly Leeds General Infirmary and St James's Hospital. Following the Second World War there has been, as in many other cities, a decline in secondary industries that thrived in the 19th century. However this decline was reversed in the growth of new tertiary industries such as finance retail, call centres, offices and media. Today Leeds is known as one of eight core cities that act as a focus of their respective regions and Leeds is generally regarded as the dominant city of the ceremonial county of West Yorkshire.

La devise sur ces plongées identifiées. Par contre, le logo est mensonger: il y a bien plus de poissons, et des plus gros! On voit dans l'eau les patates de corail qui les abritent.

Coventry Transport Museum opened in 1980, after it became clear that the road transport collection was outgrowing the space it occupied in the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum. The Museum’s current collection of vehicles is acknowledged as being one of the finest in the world, and the largest in public ownership.

The Museum’s collection consists of motor cars, commercial vehicles, cycles and motorcycles. In addition, extensive collections of automobilia, books, photographs and a wealth of other archive material is held and conserved at the Coventry History Centre at the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum.

1930 Humber Super Snipe - This car was made at Humber's factory in the Stoke area of Coventry. By this time, Humber was a successful company with over 2,000 cars made during 1930.

This image forms part of the digitised photographs of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection. Ross Craig (1926-2012) was a local historian born in Stockton and dedicated much of his life promoting and conserving the history of Stockton, NSW. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about the suburb and was a founding member of the Stockton Historical Society and co-editor of its magazine. Pat Craig supported her husbandâs passion for history, and together they made a great contribution to the Stockton and Newcastle communities. We thank the Craig Family and Stockton Historical Society who have kindly given Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, access to the collection and allowed us to publish the images. Thanks also to Vera Deacon for her liaison in attaining this important collection.

 

Please contact Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, if you are the subject of the image, or know the subject of the image, and have cultural or other reservations about the image being displayed on this website and would like to discuss this with us.

 

Some of the images were scanned from original photographs in the collection held at Cultural Collections, other images were already digitised with no provenance recorded.

 

You are welcome to freely use the images for study and personal research purposes. Please acknowledge as âCourtesy of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection, University of Newcastle (Australia)" For commercial requests please consider making a donation to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

 

These images are provided free of charge to the global community thanks to the generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund. If you wish to donate to the Vera Deacon Fund please download a form here: uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

 

If you have any further information on the photographs, please leave a comment.

 

Photo: Susan Allen/ Stockton University

The conserved document is now ready to be handled.

Founded in 1906, Mesa Verde National Park was created to conserve and protect the Ancestral Puebloan archaeological sites and cliff dwellings within the present-day park on the sides and top of a large tree-covered cuesta, known as Mesa Verde, that rises approximately 1,500 feet (785 meters) above the surrounding canyons and valleys, with rugged canyons cutting through the cuesta, lined with sandstone cliffs and ledges.

 

The area was inhabited by indigenous people for thousands of years prior to the rise of the Ancestral Puebloan culture, whom developed villages and farmsteads within what is today Mesa Verde National Park beginning around the year 750, with the structures built by the Ancestral Puebloans growing in complexity and durability, especially due to contact with the nearby culture centered around Chaco Canyon. The famous cliff dwellings for which the area is famous, however, were built between approximately 1020 and 1260, especially after a major drought in the region between 1130 and 1180, which led to a major migration of people from Chaco Canyon to Mesa Verde. The people of Chaco Canyon brought their culture, construction techniques, and goods with them, which is evident at archaeological sites on the cuesta.

 

The area began to depopulate between 1260 and 1285 due to environmental conditions becoming less favorable, with the people of Mesa Verde moving to the lowlands of what is today New Mexico and Arizona, with many founding or joining Pueblo settlements in these regions that still exist today. The stone houses were left to the elements, and were left uninhabited, only remembered by the descendants of the Ancestral Puebloans and the other indigenous groups who called the area home, most notably the Utes.

 

The ancient ruins were discovered by European-Americans in 1873, and were documented between 1875 and 1888, with various cliff dwellings and archaeological sites being relatively well-preserved and recognizable to explorers, archaeologists, and scientists whom visited the modern-day park. However, the removal of artifacts from the cuesta became a major concern, and efforts began in 1889 to protect the area as a National Park.

 

The park covers an area of 82 square miles (212 square kilometers), and features multiple Ancestral Puebloan and other indigenous archaeological sites, and was taken from the Ute people, with land being taken from the Utes after the establishment of the park to expand its borders. The park long struggled with proper interpretation and inclusion of the voices of the Puebloan people, whose ancestors built the ancient dwellings and lived at what are today archaeological sites, with work presently ongoing to redress these issues.

 

The ruins at the park underwent reconstitution and stabilization between 1908 and 1922, with extensive work being done on Spruce Tree House, Cliff Palace, and Sun Temple. Further work was carried out by the New Deal-era Civilian Conservation Corps starting in 1932 and extending through World War II, which included the construction of various park facilities for visitors and staff, and constructing roads atop the cuesta. The Wetherill Mesa ruins, meanwhile, were stabilized with work being carried out between 1958 and 1965, coinciding with the construction of the Far View accommodations atop the cuesta to the east.

 

The park today features a modern entrance road from US Highway 160, which climbs up the rugged slopes at the north end of the park to the top of the cuesta, stretching across the top of the cuesta to the south, where it connects to various roads that allow visitors to access the overlooks and trails for various cliff dwellings and archaeological sites on Chapin Mesa and Wetherill Mesa. Two areas of tourist accommodation also exist at Far View in the northern section of the park, and the administrative district at Spruce Tree Point at the southern end of the park.

 

The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978. Today, the park sees over half a million visitors annually, and continues to preserve and maintain the ancient structures built by the Ancestral Puebloans.

"E" prior to conservation. The dark plate across the bottom of the letter was added at some point while the sign was still on display atop the Chase Hotel.

Testing the neon in the shop before the sign is moved into the exhibit gallery.

Consider the worst-case scenario and ration resources accordingly.

Cuyahoga Valley National Park conserves and reclaims the rural landscape along the Cuyahoga River between Akron and Cleveland in Northeast Ohio's Cuyahoga and Summit counties.

 

The 32,572-acre (50.9 square mile) park is administered by the National Park Service, but within its boundaries are areas independently managed as county parks or as public or private businesses. Cuyahoga Valley was originally designated as a National Recreation Area in 1974, then redesignated as a national park 26 years later in 2000, and remains the only national park that originated as a national recreation area.

 

Cuyahoga Valley is the only national park in the state of Ohio and one of three in the Great Lakes Basin, with Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior and Indiana Dunes National Park bordering Lake Michigan. Cuyahoga Valley also differs from the other national parks in the U.S. in that it is adjacent to two large urban areas and it includes a dense road network, small towns, and public and private attractions.

 

Information from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_Valley_National_Park

High Speed Photography

Wood-conserving stoves are saving thousands of trees, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and greatly improving women's and children's health in Central America. Utilizing up to 50% less wood as a “traditional” open pit fireplace and reducing the amount of smoke and black carbon in the home, the wood-conserving stoves (or Justa stoves) being implemented by SHI are a radical and healthy change. Traditionally, the walls and roofs of rural homes in Central America would be caked with black soot, while smoke being inhaled by women and children would be the equivalent of smoking 2 to 5 packs of cigarettes per day. Such traditional stoves, notorious for consuming large amounts of wood, are also a main cause of respiratory infections, tuberculosis, eye disease and more. According to the World Health Organization, about 1.6 million deaths around the world were associated with indoor air pollution or the burning of biomass as cooking fuel.

 

Using a combination of bricks and adobes, the wood conserving stoves being installed by SHI Field Trainers and participants have been known to:

 

-Cut wood consumption by up to 50%

-Reduce indoor smoke by 90%, thus reducing carbon monoxide and particulate matter

-Save an average of 1.5 tons of carbon emissions per year (according to tests conducted by Trees, Water, People)

 

More info and how you can contribute: www.sustainableharvest.org/techniques/wood-conserving-stoves

 

President Van Rompuy pledged his support for conserving biodiversity by signing the event book. Participants also inaugurated a monument for biodiversity. Watch a video synopsis

tvnewsroom.consilium.europa.eu/story/index/story_id/15346...

Carefully conserved vintage shopfront with a fine selection of cutting implements on display in rue de l'Hôpital.

You can save electricity by unplugging all appliances and tools when not in use and by turning off lights in unoccupied room. ~plog.com.sg

Kew's Millennium Seed Bank partnership celebrates banking its 24,200th species, a Yunnan banana seed - a pink wild banana from China which is an important staple for wild Asian elephants (Musa itinerans). Royal Botanical Gardens Kew is celebrating collecting, banking and conserving 10% of the world's wild plant species. Kew's Millennium Seed Bank, Wakehurst Place, East Sussex. Petri dishes in the Germination Room. October 15, 2009. Photo: Edmond Terakopian

Mirjana Ugrinov 'Drop by Drop' (Conserve Water), Chicago

Cool Globe' Campaign in Chicago

This image forms part of the digitised photographs of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection. Ross Craig (1926-2012) was a local historian born in Stockton and dedicated much of his life promoting and conserving the history of Stockton, NSW. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about the suburb and was a founding member of the Stockton Historical Society and co-editor of its magazine. Pat Craig supported her husbandâs passion for history, and together they made a great contribution to the Stockton and Newcastle communities. We thank the Craig Family and Stockton Historical Society who have kindly given Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, access to the collection and allowed us to publish the images. Thanks also to Vera Deacon for her liaison in attaining this important collection.

 

Please contact Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, if you are the subject of the image, or know the subject of the image, and have cultural or other reservations about the image being displayed on this website and would like to discuss this with us.

 

Some of the images were scanned from original photographs in the collection held at Cultural Collections, other images were already digitised with no provenance recorded.

 

You are welcome to freely use the images for study and personal research purposes. Please acknowledge as âCourtesy of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection, University of Newcastle (Australia)" For commercial requests please consider making a donation to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

 

These images are provided free of charge to the global community thanks to the generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund. If you wish to donate to the Vera Deacon Fund please download a form here: uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

 

If you have any further information on the photographs, please leave a comment.

 

Marion Karl visits her forested property in Cooperstown, N.Y., on May 21, 2015. Karl’s 173 acres are in a conservation easement with the Otsego Land Trust, and she hikes through it almost daily to take in a view of Otsego Lake. (Photo by Will Parson/Chesapeake Bay Program)

 

USAGE REQUEST INFORMATION

The Chesapeake Bay Program's photographic archive is available for media and non-commercial use at no charge.

 

To request permission, send an email briefly describing the proposed use to requests@chesapeakebay.net. Please do not attach jpegs. Instead, reference the corresponding Flickr URL of the image.

 

A photo credit mentioning the Chesapeake Bay Program is mandatory. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way or used in any way that suggests approval or endorsement of the Chesapeake Bay Program. Requestors should also respect the publicity rights of individuals photographed, and seek their consent if necessary.

Peintes vers 1080-1120, les peintures romanes sont très bien conservées et extrêmement bien réali-sées. Bien que lacunaire, ce programme est riche de plusieurs thèmes iconographiques. Sur le mur est, une frise grecque avec effet de relief et différents oiseaux parcourt tout le baptistère. Entre les deux oculi, un Christ avec un nimbe crucifère se tient en majesté dans sa mandorle avec un livre ouvert où est inscrit EGO [SUM V] I [TA] : Je suis la vie (Jean, XIV, 6). Autour de lui, deux anges épousent parfaitement la forme des fenêtres, tous deux tournés vers les Apôtres désignant le Christ. Ceux-ci ne sont pas reconnaissables individuellement, hormis saint Pierre à la droite du Christ. Ils sont en mouvement et marchent sur des vagues représentants le monde sur lequel répandre la parole divine, avec au dessus d'eux une inscription en latin AS-CENDO AD PA-TREM [MEUM E] T PA-TREM [VES-TRVM, DEVM ET DEVM VES-TRVM]. VI[RI G]A[LIL] EI [QVIS S]TA[TIS AS-PI-CIENT] ES IN CELVM. HIC HIESVS QVI ASVMTVS EST A VOBIS : Je monte vers mon Père et votre Père, mon Dieu et votre Dieu. Galilée qui lève les yeux au ciel. C'est Jésus qui vous a été enlevé.

 

Sous le Christ la main de Dieu représentée dans un médaillon. Sur l’arc en plein cintre, un Agnus Dei et deux anges thuriféraires, avec sous cet arc des personnages non identifiables dans des médaillons. Enfin, sur le dernier registre du mur, deux cavaliers sont situés de part et d’autre, le premier complètement effacé dont ne reste que la tête du cheval. A droite, le cavalier Constantin tenant un sceptre et un orbe, et marchant dans la direction du Christ, est le seul des quatre dont l’identité nous soit parvenue. Sur cette partie du mur se superposent le cavalier roman et les dernières scènes du cycle de la vie de saint Jean-Baptiste, datant du XIIIe siècle.

 

Sur le mur Nord, de gauche à droite, se situent une figure profane, un paon sous chaque oculi et sous l’arc en mitre un saint anonyme, avec à droite du mur deux apôtres. Sur le mur Ouest, les peintures sont très endommagées, un paon est tou-jours visible bien que pâle, un vase ocre s'y distingue aussi (vase de vie ou pour utiliser le chrême en vue d'oindre les catéchumènes. Un deuxième paon devait se trouver à côté avec, plus bas, deux autres cavaliers dont l’un est complet, couronné et tenant un sceptre. Le quatrième et dernier cavalier est lui aussi endommagé, seul le haut de son corps étant visible tenant les rênes de son cheval.

 

Sur le mur Sud, deux apôtres, non complets avec sous l’oculus un paon et sous l’arc en mitre, saint Maurice d’Agaune, désigné ici par MAVRICIVS en habit de légionnaire, ses reliques étant conservées dans la cathédrale primitive. Sous le second oculus, un dragon fait face à un homme brandissant une épée, symbole du combat entre le bien et le mal. Entre ces deux figures, une inscription CIL CRIA MARCI ET VRNA : il demanda grâce et s’enfuit (plus vieille inscription connue en langue vernaculaire) (cf. fra.archinform.net).

sasrai-Movement’s sasrai Day, Earth Day, World Environment Day Slogan

If resources are preserved, happiness will be conserved.

Saving resources mean - saving the planet.

Use renewable fuels - reduce global warming.

Consume local Product - contribute to environmental preservation.

Eat more native fruits, plant more native trees

Save environment and nature – save happiness of the future generation.

Keep rivers, lakes, ponds, water body Clean - fill life with happiness

Make sure environment is healthy, ensure smooth development.

Plant native trees - in Country, Community, towns, ports and cities

Make sure environment is green, ensure pure peace.

Clogging hill cutting will stop water logging.

Stop building heaps of polythene bags – start building clean city

Elderly, children and youngster will be preserving everywhere.

In workplace, society and family, everyone will be environment friendly.

We will be preserving – happiness will be everlasting.

sasrai-Movement series Presentation in Observance of sasrai Day, Earth Day, Faith Climate Action Week, World Health Day, World Environment Day

sasrai Day –01 Boishakh/April 14 Appeal

Save Forest – Save Water – Save Earth & Life ensure Habitable Earth for Each

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1709595609296313&set=...

Mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish declined 52%

56 acres of Planet’s forests destroyed every minute

Half of Planet’s wildlife species lost last 40 years

Freshwater species decreased by an alarming 76 percent

Water and food are interdependent

One litre of water to produce one calorie of food

We will fail to feed the world until we fix the water crisis

The world’s thirst for water will grow by 50%. By 2030

https://www.facebook.com/fgaleeb/media_set?set=a.1708192856103255.1073741884.100007376703347&type=3&pnref=story

sasrai-Movement series Presentation in Observance of sasrai Day, Earth Day, Faith Climate Action Week, World Health Day, World Environment Day

sasrai Day –01 Boishakh/April 14 Appeal

Save Forest – Save Water – Save Earth & Life ensure Habitable Earth for Each

•Bangladesh has planned furnish the in Naba Barsha Dish Excluding National Fish Hilsha

•New Study Proves That People Who Don’t Believe In Climate Change Are Morons

•Global warming may be far worse than thought, cloud analysis suggests

•Global Fisheries Are Collapsing -- What Happens When There Are No Fish Left?

•Seas could rise higher than predicted, drenching coastal cities - study

•New York and London could be underwater within DECADES: Scientists say devastating climate change will take place sooner than thought

•6 Colorado Teenagers File Appeal in Fracking and Climate Lawsuit

•Scientists Warn Drastic Climate Impacts Coming Much Sooner Than Expected

•Drilling-induced earthquakes may endanger millions in 2016, USGS says

•Montreal Makes Plans To Ban All Plastic Water Bottles

•Climate Change Will Ruin Hawaii, New Study Suggests

•Global warming to scorch past milestone in 2047, study predicts

•Ocean acidity already crossed threshhold

•Every year after 2047 to be hotter than record-setting 2005, scientists predict

•Worst Mediterranean drought in 900 years has human fingerprints all over it

•Eating Less Meat Could Save 5 Million Lives, Cut Carbon Emissions by 33%

•‘We Have A Global Emergency,’ Must Slash CO2 ASAP

sasrai Day –01 Boishakh/April 14 Appeal

Save Forest – Save Water – Save Earth & Life ensure Habitable Earth for Each

650 million people, even the water they are able to find is unsafe

Water crises are among the top risks to global economic growth

Growing cities, populations, changing climate placing pressures on water

Every minute a newborn dies from infection caused by a lack of safe water and environment

42% of healthcare facilities in Africa do not have access to safe water.

Developing countries half occupied poor water, sanitation and hygiene caused disease

Around 315,000 children under-five die every year caused by dirty water and poor sanitation

That's 900 children per day or one child every two minutes.

2.3 billion people do not have access to adequate sanitation, one in three of the world's population.

In Africa, an estimated 40 billion working hours are spent fetching water

Water in Accra, Ghana, costs three times as much as in New York.

Dhaka’s water tariff of Tk 6.99 per 1,000 litres ‘lowest in the world’.

The biggest threat to the present Planet Earth is Rapid Running Out of the Resources (RRR).

sasrai-Movement must be the Central to Realizing Sustainable Global Development

Ensure Peace, Justice, Dignity, Rights, Prosperity, Security for Each

No matter Climate Changing or Not, Ice Melting or Not – We must stop Consumption Competition

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1045800938775669.107374...

 

The younger generation is our future So Go Green and save our natural environment !!!! Children do indeed have the potential to make a huge difference in conserving home energy, paper and water!!!

Lifting the letters into place was no small task.

Cuyahoga Valley National Park conserves and reclaims the rural landscape along the Cuyahoga River between Akron and Cleveland in Northeast Ohio's Cuyahoga and Summit counties.

 

The 32,572-acre (50.9 square mile) park is administered by the National Park Service, but within its boundaries are areas independently managed as county parks or as public or private businesses. Cuyahoga Valley was originally designated as a National Recreation Area in 1974, then redesignated as a national park 26 years later in 2000, and remains the only national park that originated as a national recreation area.

 

Cuyahoga Valley is the only national park in the state of Ohio and one of three in the Great Lakes Basin. Cuyahoga Valley also differs from the other national parks in the U.S. in that it is adjacent to two large urban areas and it includes a dense road network, small towns, and public and private attractions.

 

Information from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_Valley_National_Park

A jar of conserve, an item on display in the museum. You can also stop for scones and jam in the restaurant. Perfect.

Cuyahoga Valley National Park conserves and reclaims the rural landscape along the Cuyahoga River between Akron and Cleveland in Northeast Ohio's Cuyahoga and Summit counties.

 

The 32,572-acre (50.9 square mile) park is administered by the National Park Service, but within its boundaries are areas independently managed as county parks or as public or private businesses. Cuyahoga Valley was originally designated as a National Recreation Area in 1974, then redesignated as a national park 26 years later in 2000, and remains the only national park that originated as a national recreation area.

 

Cuyahoga Valley is the only national park in the state of Ohio and one of three in the Great Lakes Basin, with Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior and Indiana Dunes National Park bordering Lake Michigan. Cuyahoga Valley also differs from the other national parks in the U.S. in that it is adjacent to two large urban areas and it includes a dense road network, small towns, and public and private attractions.

 

Information from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_Valley_National_Park

This image forms part of the digitised photographs of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection. Ross Craig (1926-2012) was a local historian born in Stockton and dedicated much of his life promoting and conserving the history of Stockton, NSW. He possessed a wealth of knowledge about the suburb and was a founding member of the Stockton Historical Society and co-editor of its magazine. Pat Craig supported her husband’s passion for history, and together they made a great contribution to the Stockton and Newcastle communities. We thank the Craig Family and Stockton Historical Society who have kindly given Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, access to the collection and allowed us to publish the images. Thanks also to Vera Deacon for her liaison in attaining this important collection.

 

Please contact Cultural Collections at the University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia, if you are the subject of the image, or know the subject of the image, and have cultural or other reservations about the image being displayed on this website and would like to discuss this with us.

 

Some of the images were scanned from original photographs in the collection held at Cultural Collections, other images were already digitised with no provenance recorded.

 

You are welcome to freely use the images for study and personal research purposes. Please acknowledge as “Courtesy of the Ross and Pat Craig Collection, University of Newcastle (Australia)" For commercial requests please consider making a donation to the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund.

 

These images are provided free of charge to the global community thanks to the generosity of the Vera Deacon Regional History Fund. If you wish to donate to the Vera Deacon Fund please download a form here: uoncc.wordpress.com/vera-deacon-fund/

 

If you have any further information on the photographs, please leave a comment.

Ananda Pahto : Le temple Ananda, situé à Bagan, Myanmar, est considéré comme l'un des rares chefs-d'œuvre survivants de l'architecture Mon. Aussi connu comme le plus beau plus grand, le mieux conservé et le plus vénéré des temples de Bagan. Lors du tremblement de terre de 1975, Ananda a subi des dommages considérables, mais a été entièrement restauré. Il aurait été construit vers 1105 par le roi Kyanzittha. Ce temple aux proportions parfaites annonce la fin stylistique de la première période Bagan et le début de la période médiane. En 1990, pour le 900e anniversaire de la construction du temple, les aiguilles du temple ont été dorées. Le reste de l'extérieur du temple est blanchie à la chaux de temps à autre. Il y a une légende disant qu'il y avait 8 moines qui sont arrivés un jour au palais demander l'aumône. Ils ont dit au roi que, une fois, ils avaient vécu dans le temple de la grotte Nandamula dans l'Himalaya. Le roi était fasciné par les contes et a invité les moines à retourner à son palais. Les moines, avec leurs pouvoirs méditatifs, auraient montré au roi le paysage mythique de l'endroit où ils sont allés. Le Roi Kyanzittha a été tellement enthousiasmé à cette vue qu’il aurait désiré construire un temple qui serait frais à l’intérieur au milieu de la plaine de Bagan. Après la construction du temple, le roi aurait exécuté les architectes afin de préserver l’unicité du style du temple.

 

Ananda Pahto ; Ananda temple, located at Bagan, Myanmar, is considered to be one of the rare surviving masterpiece of the Mon architecture. Also known as the finest, largest, best preserved and most revered of the Bagan temples. During the 1975 earthquake, Ananda suffered considerable damage but has been totally restored. It is said to have been built around 1105 by King Kyanzittha. This perfectly proportioned temple heralds the stylistic end of the Early Bagan period and the beginning of the Middle period. In 1990, on the 900th anniversary of the temple's construction, the temple spires were gilded. The remainder of the temple exterior is whitewashed from time to time. There is a legend saying that there were 8 monks who arrived one day to the palace begging for alms. They told the king that once, they had lived in the Nandamula Cave temple in the Himalayas. The King was fascinated by the tales and invited the monks to return to his palace. The monks, with their meditative powers, showed the king the mythical landscape of the place they have been. King Kyanzittha was overwhelmed by the sight and had a desire for building a temple which would be cool inside in the middle of the Bagan plains. After the construction of the temple, the king executed the architects just to make the style of the temple so unique.

 

20100829

 

Bagan Myanmar

 

Package label design for conserved vegetables

Il date vraisemblablement des années 1920, bien que je n'ai pas trouvé d'informations à ce sujet sauf celles mises en remarque ...

1 août 2014: désormais disparues merci Flickr !

 

Le vieux pont fut construit au 14e siècle (arche restante à droite de l'image). Lors de la construction de la N 67 plusieurs arches furent recouvertes. Le pont s'écroula en 1916 et une arche fut conservée à titre de souvenir. Le site, comprenant les cascades de la Loue, l'arche du vieux pont et leurs abords, fut inscrit le 4 janvier 1943 à l'inventaire général du patrimoine culturel.

Le salon

 

Seule pièce conservée dans son ensemble, le salon est à l’italienne, de forme circulaire et coiffé d’une coupole (lointain héritier du salon de Vaux !)

Il est éclairé par une lanterne zénithale et par l’illusion de huit baies cintrées, dont seulement trois sont réelles, les autres étant à glaces qui renvoient l’image du jardin, ce qui tend à y intégrer le salon.

L’ensemble des trumeaux et écoinçons est orné de stuc et de camées. Ainsi, Régnier fit les 24 camées " en stuc imitant les marbres les plus rares et pierres précieuses " et Dugourc y peignit "vingt quatre sujets antiques imitant des reliefs d’albâtre ".

 

Le décor fut complété par Dussaux qui peignit dans les embrasements des portes des arabesques en « ornements de coloris ».

Le salon a en outre conservé son parquet en échiquier peint « en graine d’Avignon », ses portes en « bois veiné » et sa cheminée de Bocciardi en marbre blanc veiné.

 

Coupe du salon, du boudoir, de la salle de bains et de la chambre du prince, Prieur

Turkey vultures maybe? Taken at the Hawk Conservancy Trust near Andover.

1 2 ••• 42 43 45 47 48 ••• 79 80