View allAll Photos Tagged built
Built in 1974, the sign became known as the “gateway to the Cross”, featuring on music videos, TV, famous photographs and as a landmark meeting point.
Considered the largest billboard in the Southern Hemisphere at 41 metres long and 13 metres high, the sign is comprised of two sides – the right being the traditional red and white Coca-Cola sign and the left being a flex-faced sign that’s used to display the latest Coke campaigns.
Kings Cross, Sydney
August, 2019
60's-70's Council housing estate.
It probably looked good as an architect's scale model . . .
LR4015 © Joe O'Malley 2020
Upton house The house was built on the site of the hamlet of Upton, which was destroyed in about 1500 when the land was cleared for pasture The estate passed through various hands until the early 16th century when it was bought by Sir William Danvers. It remained with the Danvers family until 1688 when Sir Rushout Cullen purchased the estate for £7,000 equivalent to £1,140,000 in 2015 Cullen built the house for himself in about 1695.
The marbachsee was originally built between 1978 and 1982 by the Mümling Water Association, which operates the reservoir, for flood control purposes, but has officially also served as a recreational area since 1986.
The primary reason for building the Marbach Reservoir was flood protection for the towns and villages downstream. Because the Marbach stream has a relatively large catchment area, the Mümling's discharge capacity could easily be exceeded after periods of rain or snowmelt. Since the dam's completion, the Marbach's flow into the Mümling can be controlled.
A small hydroelectric power plant with a capacity of 80 kW was attached to the Marbach Reservoir. At full capacity, the Marbach Reservoir is the largest body of still water in the Odenwald region.
Another reason for constructing the Marbach Reservoir was its use for recreation and leisure. Activities possible there include swimming, boating, windsurfing, sailing, fishing, and hiking.
The Marbach Reservoir is divided into three sections from west to east:
"Bird sanctuary" with a nature reserve island; officially not a bird or nature reserve
Bathing area with a beach, sunbathing lawn, and bathing islands
Surfing and sailing area for boats with a sail area of up to 3.5 m².
Der Marbach-Stausee wurde von 1978 bis 1982 vom Wasserverband Mümling, welcher der Betreiber der Stauanlage ist, ursprünglich zum Hochwasserschutz erbaut, dient aber offiziell seit 1986 auch der Erholung.
Hauptanlass zum Bau des Marbach-Stausees war der Hochwasserschutz der talabwärts liegenden Orte. Da der Marbach ein relativ großes Einzugsgebiet aufweist, konnte nach Regen- oder Schmelzperioden leicht die Abflusskapazität der Mümling übertroffen werden. Seit der Fertigstellung der Talsperre lässt sich der Zufluss des Marbachs in die Mümling kontrollieren.
Der Marbach-Talsperre wurde ein kleines Wasserkraftwerk mit 80 kW Leistung angegliedert. Der Marbach-Stausee bei Vollstau das flächenmäßig größte Stillgewässer des Odenwaldes.
Ein weiterer Grund zur Errichtung des Marbach-Stausees war die Nutzung zu Erholungs- und Freizeitzwecken. Zu dort möglichen Aktivitäten gehören: Baden, Bootfahren, Windsurfen, Segeln, Angeln und Wandern.
Die Fläche des Marbach-Stausees ist von West nach Ost in drei Abschnitte unterteilt: „Vogelschutzgebiet“ mit Naturschutzinsel; offiziell kein Vogel- oder Naturschutzgebiet
"Badebereich" mit Badestrand, Liegewiese und Badeinseln und "Surf- und Segelbereich" für Boote bis 3,5 m² Segelfläche.
Built in 1881, this octagonal lighthouse sits near the mouth of the Penetangore River, it is 24.4 metres (74 feet) tall and was built above the light keeper's home. Originally powered by kerosene, the light was electrified in 1922.
PLEASE: Do not post any comment graphics, they will be deleted. See info in my bio.
Built in the style of the Amsterdam School, a Dutch architectural style of classical modernism, in particular expressionist architecture.
Built in mid 19th century, it consists of the palace, a barn, a chapel-mausoleum and a park.
Now in a bad condition but hopefully it will be soon renovated to its former state.
GILLAMOOR is a village situated about three miles north of the market town of Kirkbymoorside on the edge of the North York Moors National Park.
Population , 156.
texture - iPiccy
Victorian dream house splendour in an advanced state of decay.
This house is still inhabited.
If I won the lottery I'd keep it as original as possible.
LR4219 © Joe O'Malley 2022
ACROSS FROM THE ALAMO,
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Built about 1870. The POPE visited here in 1987 on his only visit to Texas.
Built this megalithic burial chamber in around 3,500 BC...located at Pentre Ifan, South Wales.
The capstone is 5.1 metres long and weighs around 16 tonnes.
We came here at around sunset, the whole atmosphere around the area and stones was one of sheer tranquility and peacefulness, it was a very strange and beautiful feeling, and it is something that will live with us forever...hopefully, as will the stones.
I seriously can't believe this was taken almost 14 years ago now.
Built by OSV in 1947 to serve food and beverages. It is named after Cromwell Bullard who owned and operated a tavern in Sturbridge in the 1830's. OSV now has a new cafe and tavern outside it’s entrance to serve visitors.
Built in 2002 for LTU International as D-ALTJ and seen here at London Heathrow (LHR) arriving as BEL8AQ from Brussels National (BRU).
Kojori Fortress was built atop Azeuli Mountain, at a height of 1,250 metres above sea level. According to historians, the fortress was constructed sometime during the 11th century. Built in multiple layers atop the cliffs, this fortress once protected the caravan road connecting Tbilisi to Armenia, and was of immense strategic importance during the Middle Ages.
Korjoli Fortress was built of crushed stone and brick, and was plastered with thick mortar. Today, only the ruins of the walls and two of its towers remain, but these ruins speak to numerous battles and sieges over the centuries. The ruins afford visitors a beautiful view of Kartli’s wide-open spaces.
The last battle to take place at Kojori Fortress took place in 1921, when the 11th Army of the Russian Red Army faced Georgian cadets. A memorial in honour of these fallen cadets stands there today.
In addition to its historical value, Kojori is also a spectacular place for relaxing in nature, having a picnic, and doing a little light hiking in the nearby forest. This region, once the summer residence of kings, is today open to the public to enjoy.
Japanese shrine built after 1895, Located in Hutou Mountain,
Tongsiao Town, Miaoli County, Recently the government started to repair and save As an important historical material.
After the China civil war in 1945, The Kuomintang came to
Taiwan. Change the Japanese shrine to China's Martyr's Shrine.
Of course, this is a mark of Japanese colonial Taiwan.The establishment of a Japanese shrine, It is to change the
religious beliefs of Taiwanese people. Hope to help colonial rule. The martyrs shrine of the Kuomintang, There is a similar meaning.
1895年之後興建的日本神社,位於苗栗縣通霄鎮的虎頭山,
最近政府展開修復保存,作為歷史的重要教材。
1945年中國內戰之後,國民黨來到台灣,將日本神社改為中國忠烈祠。當然,這是日本殖民台灣的標記。日本神社的設置,在於改變台灣人的宗教信仰,希望有助於殖民統治。國民黨的忠烈祠,有相似的意義。
Built in 1931, the lighthouse continues the use of a fifth order Fresnel lens that was first used in 1891, in the original lighthouse. The foreground pale brown is due to the shallow but rough water, kicking up sand, while the deep blue is deeper water.
IFA F9 at the PS.Speicher in Einbeck.
Homebuilt in 1956 (one year after the production ended) from new and used spare parts.
Built in 1811, Low Horcum Farm was last inhabited by humans in 1966 and fell into a state of near ruin. It underwent some renovation in 1986. However, over the next 20 years or so, weather and lack of further work meant that the building was in danger of falling down.
In 2008, ranger David Smith came up with an idea of saving this historic building and working with its structure to potentially attract wildlife, in particular, bats, swallows and barn owls.
Ladybower was built between 1935 and 1943 by the Derwent Valley Water Board to supplement the other two reservoirs in supplying the water needs of the East Midlands. It took a further two years to fill (1945). The dam differs from the Howden Reservoir and Derwent Reservoir in that it is a clay-cored earth embankment, and not a solid masonry dam. Below the dam is a cut-off trench 180 feet (55 m) deep and 6 feet (1.8 m) wide filled with concrete, stretching 500 feet (150 m) into the hills each side, to stop water leaking round the dam. The dam wall was built by Richard Baillie and Sons, a Scottish company. The two viaducts, Ashopton and Ladybower, needed to carry the trunk roads over the reservoir were built by the London firm of Holloways, using a steel frame clad in concrete. The project was delayed when the Second World War broke out in 1939, making labour and raw materials scarce. But construction was continued due to the strategic importance of maintaining supplies. King George VI, accompanied by Queen Elizabeth, formally opened the reservoir on 25 September 1945.
During the 1990s the wall was raised and strengthened to reduce the risk of over-topping in a major flood. The original dam wall contains 100,000 tons of concrete, over one million tons of earth and 100,000 tons of clay for the core. The upstream face is stone faced. Materials were brought to the site on the Derwent Valley Water Board's own branch line and their sidings off the main line in the Hope Valley.
The dam's design is unusual in having two totally enclosed bellmouth overflows (locally named the "plugholes") at the side of the wall. These are stone and of 80 feet (24 m) diameter with outlets of 15 feet (4.6 m) diameter. Each discharges via its own valve house at the base of the dam. The overflows originally had walkways around them but they were dismantled many years ago. The bell mouths are often completely out of the water and are only rarely submerged, often after heavy rainfall or flooding.
Built over the River Arle in the 13th century, the fulling mill was used in the local production of woollen material and is now a private residence.
Built in 1935-1937 as a “make work” project during the Great Depression, the Borden Bridge over the North Saskatchewan River on Highway 16 was in its day, at 250 metres long, “the longest bow-string arch bridge in North America at construction. Laborers were paid 35 cents an hour during construction, and 50 cents if they brought a horse.”
www.bordensask.ca/p/borden-bridge
The old Borden Bridge was closed to traffic in 1985 when a new vehicle bridge was opened. The old bridge is still open to the public for foot traffic.
Andrew Murray's hand built sports car. This is the third car he custom hand built from scratch. Powered by a potent 374ci small block Chevrolet engine. Needless to say, it's quite fast! It being the third one Andrew built I named it the Murray III.
It was built at the end of 19th Century by master-builders Pyrch Mykhailo Mykhailovych and Pyrch Fedir Mykhailovych and re-built in 1946. After Prykarpattia’s joining to the Soviet Ukraine, the mill became the property of a local collective farm. It was used for its intended purpose. In 1960th, after a water flood it didn’t function till 1970th, when transferred to the Museum. The mill stayed on a bank of a torrent, flowing out of Shypit water flow.
The building has a double-room log construction. It consists of a “shack” to shelter the visiting farmers and a mill itself with mechanism. It has two waterwheels and two pairs of stones – grinding plates.
The flouring mill is built of smereka wood. Its high roof is covered by combination of straw and wood. It is the only showpiece of the museum with such combination of roofing techniques.
To grind corn, water should be forwarded to the walls. For this purpose, the stream has been dammed up by smereka timbers. Water taken from the torrent passed by hollowed-up logs to the upper wheels; they turned the axles with wheels – gears, and they tuned a shaft and the upper stone. Grains had to be loaded into a hopper fixed above, and flour fell into a through, fixed under the lower stone.
Total area of the building is 62.7 square meters.
Млин із села Пилипець, Міжгірського району, Закарпатської області.
Збудований наприкінці ХІХ ст. Майстри-будівничі - Пирч Михайло Михайлович і Пирч Федір Михайлович. В 1946 році його перебудували. Після приєднання Закарпаття до радянської України млин став власністю колгоспу, використовувався за призначенням. В 1960-х роках після повені млин не функціонував до 1970-х років, коли його перевезли до Музею. Млин стояв на березі стрімкого потоку, що витікає з водопаду Шипіт.
Споруда має двокамерну зрубну конструкцію і складається з «хижі» - приміщення, де жили і відпочивали приїжджі селяни, і млина з механізмом. Він має два водяних колеса і дві пари каменів – жорен.
Млин збудований із смерекового дерева. Високий дах комбінований, покритий соломою і деревом. В музеї це єдиний експонат, де поєднано різні матеріали та покрівельні техніки.
Щоб перемолоти збіжжя, треба було спрямувати воду на колеса. Для цього потік перегороджувався гаттю із смерекових колод. Воду з потоку подавали довбаними колодами до верхніх коліс, які обертали вали із закріпленими на них колесами – шестернями, а вони обертали веретено і верхній камінь. Зерно засипали в кіш, що кріпиться зверху, а борошно сиплеться в корито, яке закріплене внизу нижнього каменю.
Загальна площа споруди – 62,7 кв.м.
Built 1905. Used until 1949. Volunteers used to keep it minimally presentable, but vandalism did too much damage. Today, it sits abandoned in a fallow wheat field in Eastern Washington State.
Front parts of a Pratt and Whitney J58 Turbojet engine. Designed to operate for extended periods at speeds in excess of Mach 3 and altitudes of 80,000+ feet. The J58 powered the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird to the world altitude and speed records held from 1976 until the present.
Hill Air Force Base -- Weber County, Utah.
Happy Sliders Sunday!
Built in 15 century above the Urubama valley by order of the Inca ruler Pachacútec Yupanqui (1438 - 1471) on a ridge between the peaks of "Huayna Picchu" and "Machu Picchu".
It could accommodate and provide for 1000 people.
--------------------------
Es wurde im 15. Jahrhundert auf Geheiß des Inka-Herrschers Pachacútec Yupanqui (1438–1471) oberhalb des Urubama-Tals auf einem Bergrücken zwischen den Gipfeln „Huayna Picchu“ und „Machu Picchu“ erbaut.
Es bot Platz für 1.000 Menschen und konnte diese versorgen.
Built 1633-1642, initially - Catholic church of the Bernardine Convent.
The cathedral of complex fate, many times was partially destroyed, rebuilt. During the Soviet period it was closed and used for other purposes.
It is very strange that one of the main Orthodox churches of the city has no domes, and for the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit the domes should be green. However, the cathedral was formerly Catholic, and was not remodeled after conversion to Orthodoxy.
Собор Сошествия Святого Духа (Свято-Духов собор)
Минск (Верхний город), Беларусь
Built in 2014 and seen here on a very cold morning banking away from Runway 27L at London Heathrow (LHR) departing as QTR91A back to Doha (DOH),
Built between 1932 and 1958, St Columba’s Cathedral is the principal church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Argyll and the Isles. It was built in a neo-Gothic style of highly distinctive pink Peterhead and blue Inverawe granite. The Bell Tower soars above the cathedral which is located on the sea front at the northern end of Oban creating a distinctive landmark for vessels arriving or departing from the Port.
The castle was built by King John between 1207 and 1214. It cost over £1000. It was built at the bend of the River Whitewater probably as a defensive strategy but also because it is a halfway point between Windsor and Winchester, which until the 12th century was the capital of England and which was still very important in the 13th century especially ecclesiastically. In 1216 the French laid siege to it. Thereafter it became the home of the very powerful de Montfort family and Simon de Montfort married King John's daughter Eleanor.However de Montfort rebelled against King Henry and was killed in battle and his wife exiled. "In the 14th century the castle played a part in the Despenser's rebellion, was host to a sitting of Parliament, and for eleven years was prison to a Scottish king. By the 15th century, however, it was used only as a hunting-lodge, and in 1605 was described as a ruin."
Built for
Hong Kong Animation Festival ACGHK 2011
Lego architect contest - the classic film by my puzzle
Has entered the finals, competing with the other eleven titles.
Die Atlantik-Bunker ziehen weiter. vom 1.3. - 8.3. in Köln bei Grevy Satellite, Löwengasse 1.
The Atlantik bunkers at Grevy Satellite from 1st of March until 8th of March, Köln, Löwengasse 1.
Built in 1900 by the Chicago & Alton Railroad, the Jacksonville Station is located east of downtown. The station was near the midway point on the C&A's Chicago to Kansas City Route. A sign still hanging over the former station gives the distance to Chicago as being 216 miles, and to Kansas City as 273 miles.
Renovated in 1987, the old railway station has since 2021 been the home of Proud Richard's, an American cuisine restaurant.
Founded in 1825, the City of Jacksonville is the seat of Morgan County. The central Illinois city had a population of 17,616 at the 2020 census.
Built in 1528 in ancient Vijaynagar empire, the Lakshmi Narasimha statue, is the largest monolithic statue in Hampi, Karnataka, India
Built in 1854, when they put in the light portion at the top of the lighthouse, each of the 256 individual lead glass prisms (which can be seen in today's photo) weighed 50 lbs and had to be carried one by one up all 228 steps. That's a total of 12,800 lbs of lead glass. An exhausting job, for sure!
Built in 1994, by Halter Marine Incorporated of Escatawpa, Mississippi (hull #121) as the Robert J. Bouchard for the Bouchard Transportation Company of Melville, New York.
In 2020, she was phased out of active service and was "laid up" at Port Fouchon, Louisiana.
In 2021, the unit was acquired by the Centerline Logistics Corporation of Seattle, Washington. Where she retained her name.
Manhattan Bridge, East river. New York City.