View allAll Photos Tagged Structure

Playing a bit for a site-specific contemporary dance choreography. The circles are going to be on the back wall, representing the bounding structures of life in which you have to fit. The lines are going to be on the floor, made with tape, they are limiting the space we have because the audience is on one side and we are on the other side. The limited space will increase the chaos within our space that's left.

The Emperor Constantine Outside the South Transept.

  

York Minster is without doubt one of the largest and most impressive Gothic architectural buildings in all of England. The full majestic proportion of the building can be seen after entering a few narrow streets called the shambles that bring you to the south of the Church. Altho it's the Cathedral of York and it's dedication is St Peter, the building was given the title Minster for it's importance in the church field considering it's the home place for the Archbishop of York.

 

The Minster has had a long very active history with there being a building on site back to the Anglo- Saxon age. The Norman's built a Cathedral on site in the 11th-Century but shortly after the present Gothic Structure was built in place starting from the 13th-Century. The new nave was built on the old Norman Cathedral foundations and shortly after the Transepts, Choir and Chapter House were constructed. The original Central tower collapsed in 1407 and the present tower was built along with the western towers near the end of the Century.

 

The Cathedral has many notable features which includes the Chapter house, octagonal shaped with carvings of heads around the bases of the large windows, the space in the Nave and Choir making them the largest of their kind in England, a decorated Central tower and a large collection of bells which are set in the Western towers, one of them holding the Cathedral's hour bell 'Great Peter' along with 6 clock bells, while the other tower holds the 14 peal as well as a collection of 22 Carillion bells which are unique in an English Cathedral.

 

The Cathedral's main interior feature is it's medieval stained glass which is seen throughout the building. At the West end is a large window which near the top is heart shaped which has since been given title 'The Heart of Yorkshire'. The transepts too have their stained glass masterpieces with the North having the five sisters window while the South has a rose window.

The most famous Stained glass window in the Minster is the Great East Window by John Thornton, the largest piece of medieval glass in the world at 76 ft and if layed down would cover one of Wimbledon's tennis courts. For the past couple years the window has been replaced by a large full size print copy of the window since the glass was taken out as part of a large restoration project that is due to be completed in 2016.

 

During the Minster's turbulent history, it's been noted for having a number of disasters caused by fire. The first recorded instance was during the Anglo-Saxon period when the old wooden structure was destroyed. In 1137 the old Norman structure was damaged and replaced by another Norman building afterwards.

Most recently was a fire in 1829 started by resident Jonathan Martin which destroyed the East end roof along with the organ, after this Martin was tried at the Courts and sent to the Lunatic Asylum as it was found he was mentally unstable at the time of starting the arson. Shortly afterwards in 1840 the Nave and South West tower were gutted by a fire this time by accident.

On July 9 1984 thinking it was a lightning strike, fire destroyed the South Transept roof leaving it a gutted shell and open to the elements. Up to £2 million was spent to renovate the damage which was completed in 1988.

Edited ESA Copernicus image of the Richat Structure in Mauritania.

MAK-Schindler Architect Edmund Ming Yip Kwong

 

Cambridge

Commercial Structure BTU January 2023 in the City of Gridley. (Virginia Incident)

A girdered structure rusting away beside the railway.

CAL FIRE/Placer County Fire Department assisted Placer Hills Fire Protection District with a structure fire on Ponderosa Lane Auburn February 2023.

Another homework for university. The idea was to create 3 different black and white structures each 20x20. The composition should range from calm to energetic.

Too bad the scrren with its 72ppi can't fully reproduce the thin lines. Maybe someone gets a kick by looking at the moiré ::]

HOW WE BUILT IT: THE FIRST 5,000 UNITS

This is where the prototype meets the real world. When it comes to many of today’s connected devices it’s also where old-school objects meet tech.

More…

Speaker

Christina Mercando — Founder and CEO, Ringly

This amazing glass couture piece Structures of Self was recently modeled by one of the collaborating artists during the new Beakerhead festival of science, art and engineering. The idea to collaborate on an a photoshoot that paired the alien/bug like garment with the 40 foot RayGun Gothic Rocketship during the setting sun, made for some pretty creative images

 

Structures of Self:

 

lead artist: Farlee Mowat

 

artist: Lana Collier

 

Raygun Gothic Rocketship:

 

Sean Orlando

 

Nathaniel Taylor

 

David Shulman

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

don't really say much about a country.

 

China,a country far superior than Bangladesh in terms of economy lacks soul and compassion for their fellow countrymen and towards life.

 

Living here for almost five years, and I feel most of these people run a very robotic life,often measured in hours of work and money.

 

Guangzhou,China.

Panorama of STS133 images showing the Richat structure.

Structured illumination can reveal fabulous new worlds!

Detail of the underframe for the baseboard of my new model railway layout. Nice to be building rather than dismantling!

this is that abandoned stadium (?) project near Port Huron...

I'm always stunned by the numerous patterns you can observe in the vegetal reign and I particularly like to capture them with sunlight coming from behind, through the leaves. This one was shot near Belém, Brasil. If someone knew the name of that plant I would be very thankful if he'd let me know !

Lodi Gardens (Hindi: लोधी बाग़, Urdu: لودھی باغ) is a park in Delhi, India. Spread over 360,000 m2, it contains, Mohammed Shah's Tomb, Sikander Lodi's Tomb, Sheesh Gumbad and Bara Gumbad, architectural works of the 15th century by Lodhis, an Afghan dynasty, that ruled parts of northern India and Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of modern day Pakistan, from 1451 to 1526. The site is now protected by the Archeological Survey of India (ASI).

 

The gardens are situated between Khan Market and Safdarjung's Tomb on Lodhi Road and is a hotspot for morning walks for the Delhiites.

 

HISTORY

The tomb of Mohammed Shah, the last of the Sayyid dynasty rulers, the earliest of the tombs in the garden, was built in 1444 by Ala-ud-din Alam Shah as a tribute to Mohammed Shah.

 

As there is little architecture from these two periods remaining in India, Lodhi Gardens is an important place of preservation. The tomb of Mohammed Shah is visible from the road, and is the earliest structure in the gardens. The architecture is characterised by the octagonal chamber, with stone chhajjas on the roof and guldastas on the corners.

 

Another tomb within the gardens is that of Sikander Lodi, which is similar to Mohammed Shah's tomb, though without the chhatris, it was built by his son Ibrahim Lodi in 1517, the last of Sultan of Delhi from Lodi dynasty, as he was defeated by Babur, First battle of Panipat in 1526, this laying the foundation of the Mughal Empire. His tomb is often mistaken to be the Sheesh Gumbad, and is actually situated in near the tehsil office in Panipat, close to the Dargah of Sufi saint Bu Ali Shah Qalandar. It is a simple rectangular structure on a high platform approached by a flight of steps. The tomb was renovated by the British, and an inscription mentioning Ibrahim Lodi's defeat at the hands of Babur and the renovation was included in 1866.

 

Under the Mughals major renovations would often take place depending on what occasions they would use the gardens for, under Akbar the Great the garden was used as an observatory and to keep records in a purpose built library.

 

In the centuries, after the 15th century Sayyid and Lodi dynasties, two villages grew around the monuments, but the villagers were relocated in 1936 in order to create the gardens. During British Raj, it was landscaped by Lady Willingdon, wife of Governor-General of India, Marquess of Willingdon, and hence named the 'Lady Willingdon Park' upon its inauguration on April 9, 1936, and 1947, after Independence, it was given its present name, Lodi Gardens.

 

Later, it was re-landscaped in 1968 by J A Stein, who also designed the adjacent India International Centre, along with Garrett Eckbo, during the time Stein also made a glasshouse within the park. A British-period gateway, is still being used as an entrance that once welcomed visitors to 'Lady Willingdon Park'.

 

Since 2005, INTACH and Archeological Survey of India (ASI) organize heritage walks for students and general public within the park area, which has become a favorite with morning walkers and yoga enthusiasts. It is also a popular picnic spot for the residents of New Delhi. INTACH has made available a small booklet, offering information about park's history, and the monuments, birds and trees within the complex. In 2009, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) awarded the restoration project of five monuments with the garden in phases to and INTACH Delhi Chapter, starting with the Bara Gumbad, Shish Gumbad and Mohammed Shah's Tomb, after conservation report for the sites were being prepared since 2007. The MoU of the Rs 1 crore, first phase of the project funded by Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) was signed in 2005, initiating the process of conservation in which structural work began in 2009.

 

ARCHITECTURE

In the middle of the gardens is the Bara Gumbad ("Big Dome"), it consists of a large rubble-construct dome, it is not a tomb but a gateway to an attached a three domed masjid (mosque), both built in 1494 during the reign of Sikander Lodi, there is also a residence surrounding a central courtyard, where the remains of a water tank can be seen. Opposite the Bara Gumbad is the Sheesh Gumbad ("Glass dome") for the glazed tiles used in its construction, which contains the remains of an unknown family, this was also built during the reign of Sikander Lodi.

 

Further into the gardens, are remains of a watercourse which connects the Yamuna River to Sikander Lodi's tomb. This tomb still has the battlements enclosing it. Nearby to Sikander's tomb is the Athpula ("Eight Piered") Bridge, the last of the buildings in Delhi, built during the reign of Mughal Emperor Akbar, it contains seven arches, amongst which the central one being the largest. The tomb of Mohammed Shah, the last of the Sayyid dynasty rulers, the earliest of the tombs in the garden, was built in 1444 by Ala-ud-din Alam Shah as a tribute to Mohammed Shah.

 

As there is little architecture from these two periods remaining in India, Lodi Gardens is an important place of preservation. The tomb of Mohammed Shah is visible from the road, and is the earliest structure in the gardens. The architecture is characterised by the octagonal chamber, with stone chhajjas on the roof and guldastas on the corners.

 

WIKIPEDIA

Chester city walls consist of a defensive structure built to protect the city. Their construction was started by the Romans when they established the fortress of Deva Victrix between 70 and 80 AD. It was originally a rampart of earth and turf surmounted by a wooden palisade, but from around 100 AD they were rebuilt using sandstone, the reconstruction taking over 100 years. The defences were further improved under Anglo Saxon rule, and after the Norman Conquest the walls were extended to the west and south to form a complete circuit of the medieval city. The circuit was probably complete by the middle of the 12th century. Further fortification took place before the Civil War, during which they were damaged and repaired. After the war they ceased to have a defensive purpose, and were developed for leisure and recreation.

The walls are now a major tourist attraction and form an almost complete circuit of the former medieval city, with a total walkway of 2.95 km (1.8 miles). Upkeep and repair is an ongoing issue.

I'm not sure what these were for. Digital.

"EN ROUTE THROUGH INDIA"

Conical stone structures [lime kilns?] in India.

 

One of a series of photographs from an album of the Kilties' world tour.

Built in 1924, the oil retort at Kilve is thought to be the first structure built for the conversion of shale to oil.

Over the past few years, the City of Chicago has acquired about 500 homes & businesses in Bensenville, Illinois that make up about 15% of the entire town. The City of Chicago wishes to demolish these structures to make way for O'Hare Airport Expansion. Most of them been bought & boarded up, but about 25-30 of the homes remain occupied.

 

08-10-08

146A

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

SUNDAY 12th JANUARY 2020

All day visit to East Norfolk for wintering specialities. Meet in Strumpshaw Fen RSPB reserve car park, Low Road, Strumpshaw, Norwich NR13 4HS (TG342006) at 9.00am.

 

Leaders: Carolyn & Malcolm Hawkes

EAST NORFOLK FIELD TRIP - 12th January 2020

The first trip of the New Year, saw ten brave souls leaving a wet and windy Bedfordshire for a damp and blustery East Norfolk morning. We met up at Strumpshaw Fen RSPB at 9.00am before heading to Buckingham Marsh RSPB for the wintering wildfowl. Unfortunately for us the Bean Geese had left a couple of days before, but there was still plenty to see. We had good views of Russian White-fronted and Pink-footed Geese with large numbers of Lapwings with some Ruff weaving their way through the flock and Snipe hiding in the grass, besides the usual things like Teal, Wigeon, Greylags, Canadas with a couple of Barnacle Geese.

Our next stop saw us sheltering from the wind by the bridge at Breydon Water, Great Yarmouth. With a very high tide there was not much dry land, which meant what little that remained, was teeming with waders. As the tide started to go out and the water dropped they started the spread out and were joined by others from the fields. Large numbers of Golden Plovers and Black-tailed Godwits were there, plus Grey Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit mixed in and one lone Avocet. A total of 14 wader species was seen but the star bird had to be a young Peregrine Falcon which terrorised them for over an hour by flying through the flocks again and again trying to catch one.

After lunch and a pit stop we made our way to Acle Bridge and obtained close views of 17 Common Cranes feeding in a field by the A1064 before continuing on to the final stop of the day was Hickling Broad and Stubbs Mill, a Norfolk Wildlife Trust Reserve. Parking at the visitors centre, we then walked down a very waterlogged road to the old Mill and the famous Raptor Watch Point. Thankfully the wind had dropped and Brown Hare and another pair of Cranes greeted us, while 14 Marsh Harriers in the air or perched up were visible at the same time. A fly over of 3000+ Pink-footed Geese made a nice display plus three Barn Owls hunting along with the male Hen Harrier who sneaked in at dusk and was nearly missed by us as it went straight to roost. We rounded off the day with a calling Tawny Owl and a Woodcock flying over us in the car park with the failing light.

A total of 83 species were seen for the day and a big thank you to our two leaders for the day, Carolyn and Malcolm Hawkes.

  

Breydon Water

Habitat

Our Berney Marshes and Breydon Water reserve protects an area of wet grassland, intertidal mud and saltmarsh in the Norfolk Broads.

 

Conservation

The RSPB is helping manage the Berney Marshes and Breydon Water habitats for all their wildlife, especially breeding and wintering birds.

 

We maintain 550 ha of improved wet grassland for up to 85,000 wintering wildfowl and waders, the latter including pink-footed geese, wigeon and black-tailed godwit. We hold high water level in the spring to create ideal condition for breeding redshank and lapwing and graze with cattle to create the right sward structure.

We manage ditches for the benefit of aquatic invertebrates and other wildlife. We do this on a 7–10 year rotation.

We work to maintain 375 ha of intertidal mud and saltmarsh as a refuge for the 85k wintering wildfowl.

Monitoring and research help us to manage the reserve and also contribute to national surveys. Berney is ideally placed to allow us to trial new and often in innovative approaches to help us protect our threatened wetland species.

Another instance of the sun shining behind the building

Photography: Helmut Meister, Concept: Julian C. Schaber, Models: Alf Altendorf, Peter.W., David Schreckeis, Norbert K. Hund

 

www.radiofabrik.at/aboutus/lehrlingsausbildung.html

Relationships between various basic mathematical structures. The arrows generally indicate addition of new symbols and/or axioms. Arrows that meet indicate the combination of structures --- for instance, an algebra is a vector space that is also a ring, and a Lie group is a group that is also a manifold.

9-23-2016

Structure Fire

SouthMeade Dr

 

Thanksgiving FD, Archer Lodge FD, Wilson's Mills FD, JCEMS, Fire Marshal

nrhp # 11000812- otel Greenfield is a boutique hotel located in Greenfield, Iowa, United States. Designed by architect William Gordon, it was completed in 1920 by the Newton Construction Co. Local boosters had the hotel built for $65,000 as a replacement for the Commercial Hotel, which was located on the same spot.[2] The three-story brick structure features a symmetrical facade, round arched windows on the first floor, a projecting classical entrance with columns in the Doric order, and a denticulated brick cornice. The hotel had become dated by the 1970s, and started to decline in significance. ADCO Enterprises bought it in 2010 and renovated it. They added the adjacent Adair County Democrat-Adair County Free Press Building at the same time. It houses the restaurant, lounge, two hotel suites, and the laundry and housekeeping facilities. The building was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.[1] In 2014 it was included as a contributing property in the Greenfield Public Square Historic District.

 

from Wikipedia

1 2 ••• 29 30 32 34 35 ••• 79 80