View allAll Photos Tagged Register
Holland House, 92 Yundah Street, Shorncliffe in northern bayside Brisbane. Built in 1889, it's walls could tell 1000 stories.
From the Brisbane City Council Heritage Register -
Holland House reflects the appeal of Shorncliffe as a seaside resort for Brisbane residents in the nineteenth century. Built circa 1889 as a hotel, it was intended to cater to vacationers brought to Sandgate and Shorncliffe by the new railway line. It was refused licensing, however, and its proprietor was declared insolvent. From the early twentieth century it operated as a boarding house, known initially as ‘Dorset House’. The large timber residence was a popular holiday and honeymoon destination in the twentieth century before it was converted to flats. This block of land was granted to William John Loudon in September 1856. Loudon, or Louden, had operated the Lamb Inn, one of the oldest hotels in Fortitude Valley, and a hotel on the road to Sandgate. He opened a hotel in Sandgate but did not develop this site. Although large, the site did not have views to the sea, and was not particularly close to transport.
This situation changed by 1882, however. Yundah Street became a popular area for boarding houses, while the rest of Shorncliffe began to develop rapidly, leaving few areas vacant. ‘This land is in reality the only large block left in Sandgate for subdividing purposes,’ wrote sales advertisements, which claim, though exaggerated, was borne out somewhat by the increasing number of houses, shops, hotels and holiday homes built in and around the area. Loudon’s site, since purchased and sold by Arthur Wettendal, was transferred vacant to Jacob Dickinson in 1882.
Dickinson was a Fortitude Valley second-hand dealer, who appears to have purchased this site as a speculative investment property. He also had another property in Sandgate, ‘Bella Vista’, in which he resided in 1889, and evidently also hosted boarders there.
In January 1889 Dickinson applied for a licence for his Yundah Street property. He had prepared plans, which he presented to the Sandgate Board, and estimated the cost of the new property at £5,000. In April 1889, a new application was made for the property in the name of RF Daniel.
(Dickinson attempted to turn his property into a hotel in the late 1880s. He applied for a hotel licence but his application was refused on the grounds of a hotel being ‘unneeded’. Although Dickenson had claimed that he had turned away paying guests for lack of room, Sandgate already featured accommodation. The 1885 post office directory listed five hotels and eight boarding-houses, including two temperance houses for teetotallers. Other proprietors, like Patrick Murphy, had also had applications refused but constructed large residences
In spite of this response Dickinson had completed construction of the property by 1890, when he was declared insolvent.)
Holland House, built in 1876, was a popular guest house for honeymooners. The house and a tennis court stood on grounds of one and a half acres within two minutes’ walk of the beach and three minutes from the railway station. Mrs English, the proprietress, offered visitors ‘every attention and all home comforts’ as well as ‘milk and poultry from our own yards’. It was not only the promise of fresh seaside air and home cooking that attracted American servicemen to 92 Yundah Street during the second world war. At that stage Holland House operated as a brothel.
Mrs English had valuation for Holland House dropped from £240 to £180 in 1933 (depreciation in values.)
The building seems to still operate as a boarding house.
For many years, the Miami-Dade County Courthouse, at an elevation of 360 feet, was reputed to be the tallest building south of Baltimore.
It was the County's first high-rise and is in the National Register of Historic Places. Efforts to refurbish this magnificent structure and restore it to its original grandeur have been underway since 1981 by Architect James W. Piersol, AIA of M.C Harry Associates Architects of Miami.
The restoration and renovations initially stabilized the terra cotta facade and installed new life safety systems. In 1982, the idea of restoring the lobby to its original distinction was the passion of both Architect James Piersol and engineer Don Youatt, of the Miami-Dade Planning and Development Department. With a little less than half of the funding necessary for the lobby restoration project in hand ($300,000 grant approved by the Legislature in 1996), the Dade County Bar Association acted as the fund-raising umbrella and initiate a drive to raise the remainder needed from lawyers and the general public. A few years later, the same team restored Courtroom 6-1, which had been the site of many infamous trials over the years.
Today, the Miami-Dade County Courthouse provides offices, chambers, and courtrooms for the clerks and judiciary assigned to both the Circuit and County Civil Court and the Family Court.
When county government was established following the Civil War, public records were so sparse they could be carried in a carpetbag and most probably were. Therefore, the "courthouse" was wherever the county's chief office holder decided to do business.
In 1890, Dade County's first courthouse stood in the town of Juno, Florida some ten miles north of West Palm Beach. At that time, Dade County covered more territory than it does today, stretching from Bahia Honda Key, in the middle Keys, up to the St. Lucie River, near present-day Port St. Lucie.
Juno was chosen as the "county seat" because of its strategic location at the southern terminus of the Jupiter-Juno railroad. Juno also held the northern terminus of the boat and connecting the stagecoach line to Miami. The courthouse remained in Juno (now no longer in existence) until 1899 when it was moved to Miami down the inland waterway on a barge and was placed on the banks of the Miami River, east of the old Miami Avenue bridge.
The building was two-story wooden frame construction, housing offices and jail cells on the ground floor and a courtroom on the second floor. It has a Neoclassical design, in 1904 this building was replaced by a new courthouse building situated on Flagler Street (then known as Twelfth Street). It was a magnificent building constructed of limestone, having an elegant red-domed top, at the cost of $47,000. It was anticipated that this courthouse would serve the city for at least fifty years; however, no one was prepared for the rapid growth Miami experienced during this period, and by 1924, only twenty years later, there was serious talk of the need for a larger courthouse.
In the early 1920s, architect A. Ten Eyck Brown entered a design competition for Atlanta City Hall, which was rejected. He then made the plans available to Dade County, and City and County officials readily approved them. It was decided by the officials to build the new courthouse at the same location as the existing one on Flagler Street. Construction began in 1925, with workers erecting the new building around the existing structure, which was then dismantled. Community leaders and citizens alike voiced excitement over the new 28 stories "skyscraper" that would soon dominate the skyline.
Unexpectedly, construction was halted when the building reached ten stories. It was discovered that the "high-rise" was sinking into the spongy ground. Engineers consulted with an architect from Mexico City, who had encountered a similar problem while building the city's opera house. The consultant determined that the foundation pilings were not set deep enough. To correct the problem, cement supports were poured, which take up much of the space in the building's basement file room even to this day.
The courthouse was finally completed in 1928 at the cost of $4 million (USD 2013 $54.5 million). Initially, it served as both the Dade County Courthouse and the Miami City Hall. Jail cells occupied the top nine floors because these heights offered "maximum security" and were considered escape-proof. In 1934, a prisoner housed on the twenty-first floor picked the lock of his jail cell window and used a fire hose to lower himself to freedom. In the years following, more than 70 prisoners escaped from this so-called "secure" prison.
Credit for the data above is given to the following websites:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County_Courthouse
www.emporis.com/buildings/122294/miami-dade-county-courth...
© All Rights Reserved - you may not use this image in any form without my prior permission.
This guard tower stands at the southeast corner of the old Territorial/State Prison in Deer Lodge, Montana. In 1867 the US Congress authorized monies for express purpose of building a prison in the newly formed, but largely lawless Montana Territory. The territorial government chose the ranch town of Deer Lodge for the prison. Construction started in 1870 on what was planed as a 3 tiered structure with fourteen cells per tier. But due to lack of material and high construction costs only one tier was originally built. The prison opened on July 2, 1871, when US Marshal William Wheeler took possession of the first nine prisoners. Finally in 1885 monies were appropriated in order to built a three story cellblock with 42 double-occupancy cells which opened in 1886. The Montana Territorial Prison was finally completed to original specifications, just in time to be handed over to the new State of Montana in March 1890. The prison remained open until 1979 when a new state prison was constructed outside of Deer Lodge.
Some say the old prison is haunted. Visitors report strange sounds and the sensation of being touched by invisible beings. Some say “Turkey Pete” Either still haunts cell number 1. Eitner spent 49 years incarcerated at the prison for murder before dying of natural causes in 1967. Some think the spirits of 2 inmates, who organized and died in the 1959 riot, still haunt the halls of the prison.
The prison was added to The Register of National Historic Places on September 3, 1976. Today the prison operates as part of a Museum complex in Deer Lodge. We didn’t tour the interior of the prison on this trip.
The Pritchard House is a historic house in Titusville, Florida, United States. It is located at 424 South Washington Avenue. On January 12, 1990, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The house is owned by the Brevard County Board of County Commissioners and operated by the North Brevard Heritage Foundation.
James Pritchard was born in New York City in 1839. He served in the Confederacy and met his wife Mary Haley Boye in December 1866. After inheriting land from Mary's grandfather, the couple moved to an area near what "became Indian River City but was then known as Pritchard's Landing". After initially growing sugarcane and citrus, Captain Pritchard became involved in the real estate business. In 1888, Pritchard organized the Indian River State bank and served as its president. In 1891, contractor Pleasant J. Hall began building the Pritchard's new home located on Washington Avenue. Captain Pritchard, his wife Mary, his mother-in-law Frances Delespine Boye, and his children Boud and Kate were the original occupants. Captain Pritchard died in 1926 and is buried at Oaklawn Cemetery in Titusville, Florida. Boud and his wife, Lola Pauline Smith, known as "Miss Lovie" lived in the house until their deaths. Boud and Miss Lovie's daughter Mary lived in house until 2005, when the house was purchased by Brevard County Board of County Commissioners.
The Pritchard House is a two-story wood-framed Queen Anne style residence located near downtown Titusville. It is surrounded by a white picket fence and is situated between two major thoroughfares. According to the original paperwork submitted to the National Park Service for the inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places:
The main block of the house is gable front with a slope front gable wing on the south elevation. Exterior walls imbricated with wood fishscale shingles. Outstanding features on the main block include decorative ogee shaped bargeboard with incised scrollwork and drop pendants. The side gable contains round arched bargeboard of similar design. A conical tower at the southeast corner complements a canted, two story porch. The porch wraps the east and west elevations and is supported by small Tuscan columns with scroll brackets. The front gabled bay is canted. Three large brick chimneys with corbelled caps and hoods are located on the north and south lateral slopes of the roof and the west ridge. The house rests on a brick pier foundation. A rear porch addition does not significantly affect the integrity of the structure. In the late nineteenth century, prominent citizens built Queen Anne-style homes along the South Washington Avenue and North Indian River Avenue corridors. The Pritchard House is the last remaining Queen Anne residence on South Washington Avenue.
In 2003, the owner of the home, Mary Pritchard Schuster sent a letter of intent to District 1 County Commissioner Truman Scarborough offering to sell the home to Brevard County. The house was to be restored in its original location and used as a Living History House Museum. No portion of the land could be sold, a member of the Pritchard family must be included in the organization that operates the museum and if the house ever ceases to operate as a house museum, ownership will revert to the Pritchard family. The county purchased the home and property for $250,000. After Brevard County took ownership of the Pritchard House in 2005, restoration began immediately.
Brevard County spent approximately $50,000 fixing the home before leasing it to the North Brevard Heritage Foundation. The North Brevard Heritage Foundation continued to renovate the home and planned to operate it as a museum. The house needed several repairs when Brevard County took possession of it. The foundation needed to be stabilized with concrete footings and hurricane-resistant straps. The porch required a return to historical accuracy. The home's interior needed to be restored as well, including furniture restoration, wallpapering, painting, and flooring.
An archeological dig began in 2005 by the Indian River Anthropological Society. Some treasures that were found included an ink bottle, perfume bottle, square nails, ceramic pieces, and children's marbles.
Credit for the data above is given to the following website:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pritchard_House
© All Rights Reserved - you may not use this image in any form without my prior permission.
• Many thanks for your visits and comments...
• Muchas gracias por vuestras visitas y comentarios...
The Cape May Lighthouse (Cape May, New Jersey) during a snowstorm. The lighthouse was completed in 1859 and its light was lit for the first time on October 31, 1859. The Lighthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places--January 30, 2010
LEGO® Certified Store Broadway, Sydney.
The word "lego" is derived from the Danish words "leg godt", meaning "play well". Manufacturing of plastic Lego bricks began in Denmark in 1947.
Yellow LEGO Lights
ヒッペアストルム ‘サンティアゴ’
Hippeastrum‘Santiago ®’
SONY α7 (ILCE-7)
Minolta AF Macro 100mm F2.8
ヒッペアストルム ‘サンティアゴ’
Hippeastrum ‘Santiago ®’
(Berbee Beheer B.V., 17-05-2004. USA.)
Trumpet Group Cultivar.
Description:
Color summary: dark purple-red 53A and white 155C. 2 flowers. Bract dried out at flowering. Bracteoles light yellow-brown 159D to light yellow-brown 159B at the top. Inside: dark purple-red 46A/53A, on the sides to halfway down the leaf blade, broad stripe white 155C, on the cut edge dark purple-red 59A, midrib lower part light green 144D with occasional dark stripes light green 144C, upper part white 155C, towards the tip some dark purple-red present. Helmet threads lower half light green 144D, upper half white 155D. Pollen yellow 2A. Style lower half light green 144D, upper half white 155D. Stigma white 155D. Outer side: light green 144D across the midrib to half of the upper side, white 155C on the sides to half of the lower side and at the top, rest of lower side purple 60C mixed with white 155C, very thin edge of dark purple-red 59A on the cut. Flower stalk at flowering 6 cm, green. Stem 44-46 cm, green. Flower depth 10.5 cm. Leaves are wavy and curved back at the top.
Registrant Nam:eBerbee Beheer B.V.
City:Voorhout
Date registration:17-05-2004
Raiser Name:New World Plants
Country:USA
EDI Bulb Code:73708
® Leanne Boulton, All Rights Reserved
Candid street photography from Glasgow, Scotland. Sometimes it is just all about a beautiful shape or texture - and here it is both. I just loved that curve in the hair from the scarf and the textures of her cosy outerwear, enjoy!
Built in 1949 through a sponsorship from the Roanoke Merchants Association, the Roanoke Mill Mountain Star is the world's largest illuminated freestanding man-made star. The steel structure is 100 feet tall, while the star itself is 88 1/2 feet tall and towers over the city of Roanoke from a base that is 1,045 feet above sea level. The star weighs 10,000 pounds and, thanks to the light from its over 2,000 feet of neon tubing, can be seen from the air at a distance of up to 60 miles. The star is accessible from the Blue Ridge Parkway via the Mill Mountain Parkway exit at Milepost 120.
Roy C. Kinsey of Kinsey Sign Co., along with his three sons, Roy Jr., Bob and Warren, designed and built the star.
The Star is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Five Indian registered Boeing 737-200's at Shannon. Blue Dart freighter VT-BDH, East West Airlines VT-EWA on return to GPA, Alliance Air VT-EGF en route to USA for freighter conversion, VT-EHH Alliance Air inIndian Airlines colours returning home after freighter conversion and Modiluft VT-MGA on maintenance.
Had to try something different. I have never had any use for the twirl filter, so this was my chance.
Registered as a Giant Pickup on the DVLA site or as a Reliant Rialto Van on the MOT History site. Information on these is scarce but it appears to be a limited production run model.
Hastings Week Classic Car Show - October 2021
Uccellino® by Xavier Madera. Xavier Madera is most noted for his creative custom jewelery collaboration with Erykah Badu & Thundercat but he has worked with several high-profile celebrities & celebrity friends throughout recent years. Some of which include Khalil, Lil Nate Dogg, Kaya Jones, Gladys Knight, Kayley Stallings, Boo Boo Stewart, Big Chan, Chris Brown, Marla Gibbs, Jane Seymour, Kyle Richards, Wynona Judd, Yung OFB, Trinity Marquez, Mathew Wayne & Daniella Monet just to name a few. He's also worked with top photographers in the fashion industry; K-rish, Nave Elefano (Inspirawr Music), Sir Jones, D'andre Michael, Bob Delgadillo, Sheri Determan, Gisele (Party by 5) & Gino Studios. Xavier Madera has worked with models from Chris Brown's Legendary Faces Modeling Agency; as well as, top models Leslie Allen & Brianna Michelle. His work has been featured in boutiques and Fashion Houses; Mint Collection, Shoes for the Stars Fashion House, Orange Bone, COLORS and more. He's also had several interviews & write ups in Splash Magazine, Dope Chic Style & other publications. In conjunction with Cindy Marquez (LC1 PR).
Registered: 18/02/2002 near Brighton.
3.0-litre flat six engine.
Another niche player in the UK. The Outback variant of the Legacy was one of the early {modern) pioneers of combining limited off road ability within a traditional estate body. I particularly like the frameless windows and the flat six engine.
Truth in the Jungle by Thiti Suwan:
"The hidden beauty of nature is the co-existence of animals and the forest, and it is such a precious and magnificent relationship that only a few human beings truly appreciate, nurture, and protect."
Elephant Parade® is a social enterprise and runs the world’s largest art exhibition of decorated elephant statues. Created by artists and celebrities, each Elephant Parade statue is a unique art piece. The life-size, baby elephant statues are exhibited in international cities and raise awareness for the need of elephant conservation.
Simone Martini (1284-1344) The Majesty (1315) - Hall of the Globe - Palazzo Pubblico Siena
La Maestà di Duccio di Buoninsegna, realizzata nel 1308-1311 per l'Altare Centrale del Duomo di Siena ed oggi esposta nell'adiacente Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, fu sicuramente il modello a cui Simone si rifece per la sua Maestà. Lo sviluppo laterale dei registri dei personaggi è chiaramente ispirato a quell'opera, così come la loro identità. I quattro santi protettori di Siena che sono inginocchiati ai piedi del trono sono gli stessi della Maestà di Duccio. Anche molte delle figure in piedi nella Maestà di Simone sono presenti nella Maestà di Duccio, in piedi o nelle lunette. La derivazione duccesca di questa Maestà non riguarda solo le identità dei vari santi, ma anche le loro fisionomie. Il San Pietro di quest'opera assomiglia a quella di Duccio e lo stesso dicasi per i quattro santi inginocchiati, per i due San Giovanni, per Sant'Agnese e molti altri. Le figure di Simone Martini sono tutte reali e raffinate al tempo stesso, dipinte secondo un'unica fonte di luce e il trono è riportato in prospettiva diretta e con i fianchi aperti a libro, caratteristiche che di nuovo rimandano all'opera di Duccio (e che quest'ultimo aveva ripreso da Giotto).
The Majesty by Duccio di Buoninsegna, built in 1308-1311 for the Central Altar of the Cathedral of Siena and today moves in the adjacent Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, was certainly the model to which Simone is remade for his Majesty. The lateral development of the characters registers is clearly inspired by that work, as well as their identity. The four patron saints of Siena, who are kneeling at the foot of the throne are the same as Duccio. Even many of the figures standing in Simone Majesty are present in Duccio's Majesty, standing or in the lunettes. The derivation of this Duccio Majesty does not concern only the identity of the various saints, but also their faces. The work from San Pietro resembles that of Duccio and the same goes for the four kneeling saints, for the two St. John, to St. Agnes and many others. The Simone Martini figures are all real and refined at the same time, painted according to a single source of light and the throne is reported in direct perspective and with the sides open to the book, characteristics which again refer to the work of Duccio (and that the latter had taken from Giotto).