View allAll Photos Tagged PROSPECT!

Prospect Street in the Village of Mantua Ohio is like a horn of plenty when it comes to historic buildings. Here's a beautiful second empire Mansard roof Victorian. It sits one door west of the Horace L. Hine house, and across the street from the W.H. Crafts house. The left side of this house is visible in the historic 1899 photo of the Hine house that I recently posted in the comment section of the photo entitled 'Victorian Grandeur.' I am told that this is the sister house of the W.H. Crafts house, also the sprawling 'Mansard Roof Mansion in Mantua', and the classic ruin shown in my 'End of the Road in Mantua' series. There is a fifth house designed by the same architect somewhere in the area, however I have yet to find it. This house is a beauty, but the landscaping plants really need to be tamed. The front porch (at far right) appears to be original and appropriate to the structure. The enclosed sun porch in the foreground and the one to the rear appear to be later additions.

prospect flixbus m1

Call # CARN 0104

 

Interior view of Prospect Branch, later renamed Park Slope Branch, located at 431 Sixth Avenue at Ninth Street. Images include reading rooms, children's room, and circulation area.

 

For more information: iii.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/record=b11353423~S63

Call # CARN 0138

 

Interior view of Prospect Branch, later renamed Park Slope Branch, located at 431 Sixth Avenue at Ninth Street. Images include reading rooms, children's room, and circulation area.

 

For more information: iii.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/record=b11353423~S63

Prospect v Wymering 23Jan10

The Boathouse by Helmle, Hudswell and Huberty on the Lullwater in Prospect Park in Brooklyn in the snow.

Pictured at Barmouth coach park is Prospect Coaches PR11JES, which is an Alexander Dennis Javelin/ Plaxton Profile.

 

© copyright

all rights reserved

 

Aaron's Transport Pictures.

lobster boats and the prospect harbor light house

Brooklyn, New York, USA

prospect flixbus m1

The Fredericks-White House; An example of the idea of prospect, which is an aboriginal idea adopted by Murcutt.

Thousands of people visit Dungeness each year to view and photograph this cottage and its garden in Dungeness. It once belonged to film director Derek Jarman. To find out more please click on this link. www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/feb/17/gardens

Taken up at Prospect Point in Stanley Park.

Camera Name : aywc03

IP Address : 10.0.1.3

Time : 2015-10-21 18:09:09

Prospect Park, Brooklyn, New York

 

A Friday morning at the park.

1.Recreational Prospecting: In many countries around the world, mining enthusiasts have the freedom to make small scale movements towards finding gold; however, some countries also have policies on what a hobbyist may or may not keep. Most times, one may be allowed to use only pans and shovels to mine which makes sense as using other tools are signs of commercial mining. One also has to thoroughly examine the law of the land when panning for gold as these can serve as guidelines as to what can or cannot be used for mining and whether or not any gold you find can be retained in your property.

 

Brooklyn, New York

Prospect Coaches - PR22 LEO seen at North Terminal Bus Station, Gatwick Airport operating Flixbus service 920 to Birmingham on July 12th 2025

prospect flixbus m1

Jamaica, Queens, New York City, New York, United States

 

Prospect Cemetery, the early graveyard of the small town of Jamaica, is one of the few remaining Colonial cemeteries in Queens. In the early 1600s, this site was part of the land belonging to the local tribe of Indians known as the "Yemecah", meaning beaver, an animal which thrived in the area. In 1656, a group of English colonists petitioned the Dutch Governor-General, Peter Stuyvesant, to grant them a settlement which was near today's John F. Kennedy Airport.

 

Apparently, this site was not satisfactory, and later in the same year, the colonists moved northward, and described themselves: "We owners by purchase from the Indians and grant from the Governor and Council — living at ye new plantation near unto beaver pond, commonly called Jamaica -- ... have reserved unto ourselves 10 acres of planting land a man ...." The Dutch called this area "Rustdorp", but after the surrender of the colony to the British, "Jamaica" was used exclusively.

 

In its first year of existence, the settlement elected Daniel Denton, a member of a family which was to remain in the area for generations, as clerk of both the town and church, illustrating the interrelationship between church and government in this early period. It was not until thirty years later, in 1686, however, that Jamaica was granted its charter as a village by British Governor, Thomas Dongan.

 

The earliest record of the cemetery dates from November, 1668, when townsman John Wascot was hired to enclose the "burring plas", then ten rods square, with a fence, five rails high.

 

The cemetery was established, therefore., shortly before 1668, since it is doubtful that the town would allow such hallowed ground to stand unprotected for very long. Several references were made to the "burring place" during the 17th century, when citing other locations in the town.

 

The cemetery was generally known as the Presbyterian burial ground, since it was associated with the Old Stone Church built in the 1690s, which stood near today's Union Hall Street. Due, however, to the close interaction of church and state -- the church served also as the town hall -- the cemetery was as well the property of the Town of Jamaica.

 

The Presbyterian congregation in Jamaica came to blows with the Episcopalians in 1704, when the property belonging to the Church was confiscated and turned over to a representative of the Church of England, William Urquhart, an Episcopalian minister. Urquhart occupied the parsonage for five years, until he died in 1709.

 

Shortly afterwards his wife surrendered the property to Reverend George McNish, a Presbyterian minister. However, simultaneously, another Episcopalian preacher arrived in Jamaica, who thought he should occupy the parsonage. Ultimately, the decision, aided by. the authority of the Presbyterian sheriff, was made by the town, and Reverend McNish moved into the parsonage.

 

In 1753, the intimate relationship between church and town came to an end when it was voted at a town meeting to grant the land set apart for the use of "a minister of Presbyterian denomination" to the Presbyterian Church and congregation, for them "to have and to hold ... forever in trust". The cemetery, however, was not specified as part of this transfer.

 

As late as 1879, the Town of Jamaica still retained title to the original burying ground, but it may be possible that the Presbyterian Church used the cemetery, while not actually owning it. When the Presbyterian Church applied to Governor William Tryon for incorporation in 1775, "a cemetery for the interment of their Dead" was mentioned, but whether this was the town burial ground, or another separate graveyard, is not known.

 

During the Revolutionary War, the men of Jamaica, many of whom were buried in the cemetery, played a prominent role.

 

This area, was essentially a Loyalist stronghold, but a militant minority formed a local Committee of Correspondence and Observation to popularize patriot sentiment. The Committee chairman, Elias Baylis, died in 1777 and was buried in the cemetery. The tombstone erected over his grave after 1843 tells of his long suffering at the hands of the British during the war. Captain J.J. Skidmore, also buried here, formed a band of Minutemen, made up of local soldiers, which later became part of Colonel Lasher's First New York Battalion. This group held Cobble Stone Hill Fort during the Battle of Long Island.

 

The early graveyard was entered from an extension of Beaver Road, on the north side of today's Prospect Cemetery. Gradually, in the first half of the 19th century, its size was increased as various individuals purchased the land surrounding the cemetery and laid it out in family plots. Although it had been a common practice to bury one's relatives in their family farm property, when the farm was sold, often the family remains were removed.

 

One such instance occurred in 1840, when Garret Nostrand sold his family farm at the Wallabout and purchased a lot in the Jamaica graveyard in order to bury the boxes containing the remains of his ancestors. Such private lots as these extended the boundaries of the cemetery at Its western and its northern ends.

 

Still another reason for the purchase of cemetery lots was the incentive for profit. One of the largest lot holders was Isaac Simonson, a local carpenter, whose house stood on a large tract of land to the south of the original burying ground. In 1841, Simonson purchased some land to the west of the cemetery and subdivided it into lots for sale. He advertised these burial plots as "adjoining the old Presbyterian Burial ground", and today this section forms the western extension of the cemetery.

 

Three acres were added to the cemetery in 1856, when Nicholas Ludlum, a wealthy New York City hardware merchant whose family had long resided in Jamaica, purchased the land between the east side of the "old burying ground" and Prospect Street (today's 159th Street) from the Long Island Railroad Company.

 

The addition encompassed "about 10 lots", most of which Ludlum sold. According to an article in the Long Island Farmer of 1856, Ludlum planned to improve and beautify the cemetery grounds. In the next year, 1857, Ludlum, at his own expense, had a small chapel erected, as a memorial to his three daughters, each of whom had died at an early age.

 

Ludlum's first daughter, Cornelia Maria, died at the age of thirteen, while the next, Mary Cecelia, lived only to the age of one, and his third, Mary, who had married Lewis Cass, Jr., the U.S. Minister in Rome, died at the age of twenty one. Called the Chapel of the Sisters, the building was to be used for family interment.

 

Small in scale, this Romanesque Revival style chapel is of random ashlar fieldstone with decorative light brown-colored sandstone trim. The gable-roofed structure, originally crowned with handsome iron cresting, has gabled porticoes at both its 159th Street entrance and its cemetery side. Since the chapel was used for burials, the funeral party no doubt entered the chapel at the 159th Street entrance, and after the services made its way to the grave site through the cemetery doorway.

 

A large round arch, completely enframed with alternating voussoirs of fieldstone and sandstone, leads to the deeply recessed arched doorway at the 159th Street entrance. Above the door, a stone tympanum, encircled by an inscription, is ornamented with the religious symbols of the Bible and a cross, as well as a scythe, representing death. This portico, like that at the cemetery side, is embellished with sandstone quoins and also a row of corbels which follows the rake of the gable.

 

On the cemetery side, the large round-arched door, now filled in, is flanked on either side by small, narrow arched windows with sandstone trim. At the north and south ends of the chapel, large stained-glass rose windows elegantly pierce the heavy fieldstone walls. The chapel was a handsome addition to the cemetery, and it remains today one of its principal points of interest. This three-acre Ludlum extension greatly changed the configuration of the older graveyard, since the cemetery was now entered from the east at Prospect Street (159th Street), with the more recent grave sites near the chapel.

 

The cemetery, consisting of a number of different sections added over a 200-year period, was taken over by a single group in 1879, when the Prospect Cemetery Association of Jamaica Village, Inc., was formed. This is the first record of the name "Prospect" for the cemetery. Before the Prospect Cemetery Association acquired the property, the cemetery was still owned by the Town of Jamaica. Eventually, the Association, which still exists today, received title to all of the cemetery grounds.

 

Very little has chanced in Prospect Cemetery since the end of the 19th century, save for the addition of new graves, narked frequently by tall obelisks, which contrast vividly with the earlier, smaller gravestones. During the summer of 1976, selected family grave sites were cleared of debris and brush as part of a Bicentennial Project, sponsored by Community Planning Board 12 in Queens.

 

Prospect Cemetery is a valuable reminder of much of the early history of Queens, and especially of Jamaica. The earliest section of the cemetery begins approximately at the site of the Raynor family plot and extends to the west, to join Isaac Simonson's 1841 addition.

 

This original portion is also much narrower than the present graveyard and totals an area of 165 square feet. Many of the old tombstones are of brownstone with various types of ornamentation. It is believed that the earliest gravestone in the old part of the cemetery dates from 1709.

 

Another old tombstone is that of Thomas Wiggens, who died in 1728, His brownstone grave marker is carved in a very simple manner with his name and the date of death. The 1737 tombstone of Thomas Walton is more richly carved. Its three-arched top is ornamented with an angel's head of a primitive design, and a decorative curvilinear motif extending along either side. The angel head was a common theme on gravestones and occurs quite often in the cemetery.

 

The brownstone grave marker of Obadiah Mills, who died at the age of twenty six on September 17, 1773, also displays an angel with wings. In some instances, skulls replaced the angel's head. Many of these early grave markers, also ornamented with curvilinear designs, are' of limestone.

 

A number of Revolutionary War veterans, many of whom served with Skidmore's Minutemen, are buried in the cemetery. These include several members of the earlier generation of the Ludlum family who were part of the Minutemen band. Increase Carpenter (1733/6-1807), who fought in the Battle of Long Island, is also buried here.

 

One of the most renowned figures in the cemetery is Egbert Benson (1746-1833), who in 1794 served as Justice of the Supreme Court and in 1801 was Chief Justice of the U.S. Circuit Court, which was abolished soon after. Benson then retired to Jamaica, where he died.

 

Behind this old section of the cemetery, extend the lots sold by Isaac Simonson. Since these date from a later period, a few obelisks characteristic of the later 19th century, may be seen there.

 

It was common for Negroes to be excluded from white cemeteries, and such was the case with Prospect. One exception, however, was made and is recorded as: "Jane Lyons, a colored woman, who upwards of 65 years was a faithful and devoted domestic in the family of James Hariman, Sr., of this village, died December 19, 1858, Age 75 years."

 

Many names of the important early families of the area appear throughout the cemetery, and these include Sutphin, after whom Sutphin Boulevard was named, and Van Wickes, for whom the Van Wyck Expressway was named. Relatives of many of the original settlers of the Village of Jamaica continued to be buried in the cemetery at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries.

 

These graves are marked by ornate tombstones and tall granite obelisks. A descendant of one of the early local families, John H. Brinkerhoff (d.1903), the village supervisor, and his wife Laura (d. 1891), have a richly decorated tombstone, topped with a small ornamental sarcophagus, incised with the letter "B".

 

The very early origins of the cemetery, together with its 19th century additions, make it an important part of the history of Jamaica. Its early Colonial period is marked by the picturesque tombstones of many members of the town's prominent families, as well as several veterans of the Revolutionary War.

 

The Simonson and Ludlum additions border, in part, the old graveyard and are occupied by many 19th-century obelisks. The fine Romanesque Revival Chapel of the Sisters is a particularly handsome feature of the cemetery and is a monument to an important local family, the Ludlums. The cemetery remains today in a well-preserved state, due primarily to the care and interest of the Prospect Cemetery Association.

 

- From the 1977 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report

The Rustic Arbor in Brooklyn's Prospect Park in winter.

Prospect Coaches of Stourbridge Irizar i4 integral PR19 STE working a Halesowen College shuttle service in Hawne, Halesowen.

Cold Winter Day in Prospect Park, Reading

Prospect Park, 3.4.2024

STAGE1.Awareness2. Sales3. Lifetime Value

PROSPECT STAGE"Doesn't know product, service or company"Doesn't know your companyAlready a customer

GOALNovel-Increase awarenessGet salesRelationship-Get return sales

TYPICAL CHANNELSPR PPC Social MediaPPC SEOEmail PPC Social Media

OBSTACLES"Unknown product, service or company"Unknown companyList fatigue

SALES CONVERSION RATELowMediumHigh

LIST ACQUISITION RATEHigherHighAlready on list

ROI TrackingVery difficultAdequateEasiest

DIRECTROILowMediumHigh

 

How Much Is Your Tweet Worth?

 

You're free to use this image. Just link to this page or the above article.

 

Credit: Brian Carter

The Prospect Mountain shuttle, called the Viewmobile, brings tourists who do not wish to hike the last few hundred feet to the summit. From there you have views of Lake George, New York, vistas of the Adirondack High Peaks (seen in the background of this photo) and even nearby states.

 

This is one of two photos of mine chosen by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's bi-monthly magazine, The Conservationist, for an article on Prospect Mountain in their October 2010 issue. This is the first time I have had photos published in a regional magazine.

 

I blogged about this photo here: Published!

1 2 ••• 11 12 14 16 17 ••• 79 80