View allAll Photos Tagged eDification

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

Rossauer Barracks

9th district

The Rossauer Barracks should be together with Franz Joseph's Barracks and the arsenal part of a planned fortress triangle, which should provide protection against internal unrest. On 1 August 1864, ground was broken for the construction of the barracks in the Rossau. Full six years took the edification, and 5 July 1870 the entire area was handed over and the first troops moved. The Barracks underwent several alterations and changes of use over time. During World War II falling bombs destroyed the Danube side infantry officer tract completely, but then it was mostly ​​true to the original rebuilt.

The Rossauer barracks is built in the style of late romantic historicism and recalls the medieval fortress architecture with towers, battlements, attachments and eaves. The equipment of the barracks was already inadequate and doubtful designed in the early days when it came to spatial proportions and sanitation. It was sometimes the story that the architect committed suicide because he had forgotten to install toilets. The barracks offered after their completion accommodation for 2,900 men and 390 horses. Next to it 99 officers flats of different sizes, 43 apartments for married officers, a chapel and office spaces were housed. The building has huge proportions. The length is 269m and width of 136m. In the barracks there are three large courtyards. Due to the proximity to the water, when building a very strong foundation was needed, which is located on about 30,000 pilots. It is worthwhile to make the approximately 850m long walk around the building.

www.planet-vienna.com/spots/Rossauerkaserne/rossauerkaser...

Vittles are almost ready - just have to present the Possum Puffs...

Fall Fiesta at Key School Escuela Key October 5, 2011

While Murray assumes considerable real estate in the foreground of the painting, there is great care in the representation of Belle. She is not darkened nor obscured, her gaze is fixed and direct; she is smiling and is dressed as an aristocrat. The portrait is exceptional for these reasons. Other images of the period present a black identity negatively and these images exist in great abundance. And what we learn from looking back at these images is telling: the white European perception of our bodies, our beauty rendered in such monstrous ways to the edification of whiteness is the tool of white supremacy. We are very much still negotiating the impact of seeing images that erase and obscure black beauty and humanity today. Our blended histories have yet to be accurately represented in popular consciousness, so every old story uncovered becomes a new retelling and a demand that we examine some painful truths about our past and how it shapes our present. -Syreeta McFadden, “Belle Navigates Blurred Lines Between Race, Gender, and Class in 18th Century Britain” (feministing.com) Medievalpoc posts tagged “Dido Elizabeth Belle”

Taken at 20,000 feet en route from ORD to IAH.

Community-Based Fire Prevention and Peatland Restoration Phase 2. Penyengat Village, Siak.

 

Photo by Perdana Putra/CIFOR-ICRAF

 

www.cifor-icraf.org

 

forestsnews.cifor.org

 

If you use one of our photos, please credit it accordingly and let us know. You can reach us through our Flickr account or at: cifor-mediainfo@cgiar.org and a.sanjaya@cgiar.org

Les fontaines Wallace sont des points d’eau potable publics qui se présentent sous la forme de petits édicules en fonte. Dessinées par Charles-Auguste Lebourg, elles tiennent leur nom de Richard Wallace, le philanthrope britannique qui finança leur édification. Elles sont souvent associées par les étrangers à l'image de Paris où elles furent implantées en premier et qu’on en trouve le plus en France. Celle-ci fut d'ailleurs offerte par la ville de Paris.

 

Wallace fountains are public drinking water points in the form of small cast iron kiosks. Designed by Charles-Auguste Lebourg, they take their name from Richard Wallace, the British philanthropist who financed their construction. They are often associated by foreigners with the image of Paris where they were first established and that we find most in France. Moreover, this one was offered by the city of Paris.

 

[Photo prise avec un Nikon FG-20]

The oldest documented structure surviving in the City of Petersburg, Old Blandford Church preserves an important, if difficult, history for its region. Bristol Parish was established by an Act of Assembly in 1643, separated from Martins Brandon Parish. At the time that the present brick church was built in 1735, Bristol Parish had grown to over 2,000 parishioners only to suddenly decline when two new parishes were erected within its former boundaries. Construction of the new parish church at Blandford was completed in two years, a brick church of Georgian design laid in Flemish bond with glazed headers and oriented on an east-west axis. Entrance to the church was permitted through a large door on the west end and a smaller on placed on the south side of the altar near the east end. The parish church was designed and built by Thomas Ravenswood at a cost of 485 pounds and was believed to have been modeled on Merchant's Hope Church in nearby Hopewell.

 

Soon after the completion of the Bristol Parish Church, the congregation witnessed a sermon by Rev. George Whitfield, an early Methodist evangelist whose tour of the English colonies in North America was the culmination of the first Great Awakening.

 

Given its location on the Appomattox River, Petersburg developed quickly to become a prosperous port town. Bristol Parish grew to the extent that he vestry ordered the addition of a wing to the north side of the parish church in 1752. The work was overseen by Col. Richard Bland and took several years to complete. The final payment of 400 pounds for the work was made by the vestry in 1767. In addition to the north wing of the church, a brick wall was erected around the churchyard which remains intact today.

 

Services continued to be held at Blandford Church through the disestablishment, but the continued growth of Petersburg led to the removal of the congregation to a new church built in the downtown. By 1806, the old parish church was abandoned and in 1818, the building was sold to John Grammer who in turn donated the church along with much of the surrounding land to the city for use as a cemetery. During the Civil War, Old Blandford Church was used as a telegraph station and was hit by at least three shells during the siege of the city in 1864/65.

 

In 1889, the Ladies Memorial Association began its connection with the property, purchasing pews and a podium to accommodate public speaking engagements within the church which the city had restored a few years earlier. In 1901, the building was transferred to the association which proceeded to convert the church into a memorial for Confederate soldiers. The Ladies Memorial Association solicited funds from the former Confederate states to procure Tiffany stained glass windows for the church. These windows were installed and dedicated in 1912 in a ceremony that came during the height of southern edification and "Lost Cause" mythology that increased post-Reconstruction tension between white and African American populations in the United States and a rise in hate crimes and Jim Crow discrimination.

 

For visitors today, Old Blandford Church should stand as a paradox. The ancient brick walls and elegant wall surrounding the aged stones of its churchyard instill a deep sense of history. This beauty stands in sharp contrast as one walks by Confederate battle flags and views windows which glorify rebellion against the United States for the sake of an abhorrent institution. This provocative juxtaposition leaves one with deep questions upon exiting the churchyard at Old Blandford.

 

Metz, France - St Stephen's Cathedral

 

Saint-Étienne de Metz (French for "Saint-Stephen of Metz"), also known as Metz Cathedral, is a historic Roman Catholic cathedral in Metz, capital of Lorraine, France. Saint-Étienne de Metz is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Metz and the seat of the Bishop of Metz, currently Pierre Raffin.The cathedral treasury exhibits the millennium rich collection of the Bishopric of Metz, including paraments and items used for the Eucharist.

 

Saint-Stephen of Metz has one of the highest naves in the world. The cathedral is nicknamed the Good Lord's Lantern (French: la Lanterne du Bon Dieu), displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with 6,496 m2 (69,920 sq ft). Those stained glass windows include works by Gothic and Renaissance master glass makers Hermann von Münster, Theobald of Lixheim, and Valentin Bousch and romantic Charles-Laurent Maréchal, tachist Roger Bissière, cubist Jacques Villon, and modernist Marc Chagall.

 

Built between 1220 and 1552, it is the product of the unification of two distinct churches. With its 42 metre high vaults, it is one of the highest Gothic edifices in Europe. With its 6,500 m² of stained glass windows, the nickname “God’s lantern” is well merited. There are windows from the 13th to the 20th centuries by Hermann de Münster, Thiebault de Lixheim, Valentin Bousch, Jacques Villon and Marc Chagall. These masterpieces of the art of fire and light form a veritable encyclopaedia of the art of stained glass.

 

Architecture

 

Saint-Stephen Cathedral is a Rayonnant Gothic edifice built with the local yellow Jaumont limestone. Like in French Gothic architecture, the building is compact, with slight projection of the transepts and subsidiary chapels. However, it displays singular, distinctive characteristics in both its ground plan and architecture compared to most of the other cathedrals. Because of topography of Moselle valley in Metz, the common west-east axis of the ground plan could not be applied and the church is oriented north-northeast. Moreover, unlike the French and German Gothic cathedrals having three portals surmounted by a rose window and two large towers, Saint-Stephen of Metz has a single porch at its western facade. One enters laterally in the edifice by another portal placed at the south-western side of the narthex, declining the usual alignment of the entrance with the choir.

 

The nave is supported by flying buttresses and culminates at 41.41 metres (135.9 ft) high, making one of the highest naves in the world. The height of the nave is contrasted by the relatively low height of the aisles with 14.3 metres (47 ft) high, reinforcing the sensation of tallness of the nave. This feature permitted the architects to create large, tall expanses of stained glass. Through its history, Saint-Stephen Cathedral was subjected to architectural and ornamental modifications with successive additions of Neoclassical and Neogothic elements.

 

Construction history

 

The edification of Saint-Stephen of Metz took place on an Ancient site from the 5th century consecrated to Saint Stephen protomartyr. According to Gregory of Tours, the shrine of Saint Stephen was the sole structure spared during the sack of 451 by Attila's Huns. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the walls of an Ottonian basilica dating from the 10th century. The integration into the cathedral's ground plan of a Gothic chapel from the 12th century at the western end resulted in the absence of a main western portal; the south-western porch of the cathedral being the entrance of the former chapel. The work was completed around 1520 and the new cathedral was consecrated on 11 April 1552.

 

In 1755, French architect Jacques-François Blondel was awarded by the Royal Academy of Architecture to built a Neoclassical portal at the West end of the cathedral. He disengaged the cathedral's facade by razing an adjacent cloister and three attached churches and achieved the westwork in 1764.

 

In 1877, the Saint-Stephen of Metz was heavily damaged after a conflagration due to fireworks. After this incident, it was decided the refurbishment of the cathedral and its adornments within a Neogothic style. The western facade was completely rebuilt between 1898 and 1903; the Blondel's portal was demolished and a new Neogothic portal was added.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metz_Cathedral

 

www.cathedrale-metz.fr/Welcome.html

Metz, France - St Stephen's Cathedral

 

Saint-Étienne de Metz (French for "Saint-Stephen of Metz"), also known as Metz Cathedral, is a historic Roman Catholic cathedral in Metz, capital of Lorraine, France. Saint-Étienne de Metz is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Metz and the seat of the Bishop of Metz, currently Pierre Raffin.The cathedral treasury exhibits the millennium rich collection of the Bishopric of Metz, including paraments and items used for the Eucharist.

 

Saint-Stephen of Metz has one of the highest naves in the world. The cathedral is nicknamed the Good Lord's Lantern (French: la Lanterne du Bon Dieu), displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with 6,496 m2 (69,920 sq ft). Those stained glass windows include works by Gothic and Renaissance master glass makers Hermann von Münster, Theobald of Lixheim, and Valentin Bousch and romantic Charles-Laurent Maréchal, tachist Roger Bissière, cubist Jacques Villon, and modernist Marc Chagall.

 

Built between 1220 and 1552, it is the product of the unification of two distinct churches. With its 42 metre high vaults, it is one of the highest Gothic edifices in Europe. With its 6,500 m² of stained glass windows, the nickname “God’s lantern” is well merited. There are windows from the 13th to the 20th centuries by Hermann de Münster, Thiebault de Lixheim, Valentin Bousch, Jacques Villon and Marc Chagall. These masterpieces of the art of fire and light form a veritable encyclopaedia of the art of stained glass.

 

Architecture

 

Saint-Stephen Cathedral is a Rayonnant Gothic edifice built with the local yellow Jaumont limestone. Like in French Gothic architecture, the building is compact, with slight projection of the transepts and subsidiary chapels. However, it displays singular, distinctive characteristics in both its ground plan and architecture compared to most of the other cathedrals. Because of topography of Moselle valley in Metz, the common west-east axis of the ground plan could not be applied and the church is oriented north-northeast. Moreover, unlike the French and German Gothic cathedrals having three portals surmounted by a rose window and two large towers, Saint-Stephen of Metz has a single porch at its western facade. One enters laterally in the edifice by another portal placed at the south-western side of the narthex, declining the usual alignment of the entrance with the choir.

 

The nave is supported by flying buttresses and culminates at 41.41 metres (135.9 ft) high, making one of the highest naves in the world. The height of the nave is contrasted by the relatively low height of the aisles with 14.3 metres (47 ft) high, reinforcing the sensation of tallness of the nave. This feature permitted the architects to create large, tall expanses of stained glass. Through its history, Saint-Stephen Cathedral was subjected to architectural and ornamental modifications with successive additions of Neoclassical and Neogothic elements.

 

Construction history

 

The edification of Saint-Stephen of Metz took place on an Ancient site from the 5th century consecrated to Saint Stephen protomartyr. According to Gregory of Tours, the shrine of Saint Stephen was the sole structure spared during the sack of 451 by Attila's Huns. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the walls of an Ottonian basilica dating from the 10th century. The integration into the cathedral's ground plan of a Gothic chapel from the 12th century at the western end resulted in the absence of a main western portal; the south-western porch of the cathedral being the entrance of the former chapel. The work was completed around 1520 and the new cathedral was consecrated on 11 April 1552.

 

In 1755, French architect Jacques-François Blondel was awarded by the Royal Academy of Architecture to built a Neoclassical portal at the West end of the cathedral. He disengaged the cathedral's facade by razing an adjacent cloister and three attached churches and achieved the westwork in 1764.

 

In 1877, the Saint-Stephen of Metz was heavily damaged after a conflagration due to fireworks. After this incident, it was decided the refurbishment of the cathedral and its adornments within a Neogothic style. The western facade was completely rebuilt between 1898 and 1903; the Blondel's portal was demolished and a new Neogothic portal was added.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metz_Cathedral

 

www.cathedrale-metz.fr/Welcome.html

Forming the right wing of Palazzo(Musee) Fesch, this Chapel classified as a historical monument, was blessed on 09/09/1860. It owes its edification to Napoleon III who honoured the testamentary clauses of Cardinal Fesch whose vow was to gather in a single holy place for the burials of the Bonaparte family. It was erected under the second Empire between 1857 and 1859 in limestone of Saint-Florent, on the plans of Alexis Paccard, architect of the Crown. The crypt shelters the tombs of Cardinal Fesch, Charles and Laetitia Bonaparte, relatives of Napoleon, and those of other members of the Imperial family. These details and more can be found at www.ajaccio.fr/La-Chapelle-Imperiale_a353.html.

 

Photo taken on 27/07/2016. © Peter Steel 2016.

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library II - Interior view to Yale University modern architecture rare book library tower stacks.

 

Located in Yale University's Hewitt Quadrangle and completed in 1963.

 

The Beinecke is one of the largest buildings in the world housing rare books and manuscript. The central tower alone can hold up to 180,000 volumes. Here you will find books printed as early as 1751 or before.

 

Yale University is an American private Ivy League research university in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1701, it is the third-oldest institution of higher education in the United States

 

Available in color as well as in a black and white print.

 

To view additional images please: visit susancandelario.com/

 

Image © 2017 Susan Candelario / SDC Photography, All Rights Reserved. The image is protected by U.S. and International copyright laws, and is not to be downloaded or reproduced in any way without written permission.

 

Visit Susan Candelario artists website to purchase Fine Art Prints. If you would like to use this image for any purpose, please visit my site and contact me with any questions you may have. Thank You

©KandyZone | KanchuKa Samarakoon | Editing, reproducing and re-using the images for commercial purpose or otherwise, without permission of KandyZone, are strictly prohibited and considered as intended copyright infringement Vibrato 2016 - Sachith Peiris live in concert with Iraj, Randhir, Tehan and Mayora organized by the Rotaract Club of Neptune Edification.

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

The oldest documented structure surviving in the City of Petersburg, Old Blandford Church preserves an important, if difficult, history for its region. Bristol Parish was established by an Act of Assembly in 1643, separated from Martins Brandon Parish. At the time that the present brick church was built in 1735, Bristol Parish had grown to over 2,000 parishioners only to suddenly decline when two new parishes were erected within its former boundaries. Construction of the new parish church at Blandford was completed in two years, a brick church of Georgian design laid in Flemish bond with glazed headers and oriented on an east-west axis. Entrance to the church was permitted through a large door on the west end and a smaller on placed on the south side of the altar near the east end. The parish church was designed and built by Thomas Ravenswood at a cost of 485 pounds and was believed to have been modeled on Merchant's Hope Church in nearby Hopewell.

 

Soon after the completion of the Bristol Parish Church, the congregation witnessed a sermon by Rev. George Whitfield, an early Methodist evangelist whose tour of the English colonies in North America was the culmination of the first Great Awakening.

 

Given its location on the Appomattox River, Petersburg developed quickly to become a prosperous port town. Bristol Parish grew to the extent that he vestry ordered the addition of a wing to the north side of the parish church in 1752. The work was overseen by Col. Richard Bland and took several years to complete. The final payment of 400 pounds for the work was made by the vestry in 1767. In addition to the north wing of the church, a brick wall was erected around the churchyard which remains intact today.

 

Services continued to be held at Blandford Church through the disestablishment, but the continued growth of Petersburg led to the removal of the congregation to a new church built in the downtown. By 1806, the old parish church was abandoned and in 1818, the building was sold to John Grammer who in turn donated the church along with much of the surrounding land to the city for use as a cemetery. During the Civil War, Old Blandford Church was used as a telegraph station and was hit by at least three shells during the siege of the city in 1864/65.

 

In 1889, the Ladies Memorial Association began its connection with the property, purchasing pews and a podium to accommodate public speaking engagements within the church which the city had restored a few years earlier. In 1901, the building was transferred to the association which proceeded to convert the church into a memorial for Confederate soldiers. The Ladies Memorial Association solicited funds from the former Confederate states to procure Tiffany stained glass windows for the church. These windows were installed and dedicated in 1912 in a ceremony that came during the height of southern edification and "Lost Cause" mythology that increased post-Reconstruction tension between white and African American populations in the United States and a rise in hate crimes and Jim Crow discrimination.

 

For visitors today, Old Blandford Church should stand as a paradox. The ancient brick walls and elegant wall surrounding the aged stones of its churchyard instill a deep sense of history. This beauty stands in sharp contrast as one walks by Confederate battle flags and views windows which glorify rebellion against the United States for the sake of an abhorrent institution. This provocative juxtaposition leaves one with deep questions upon exiting the churchyard at Old Blandford.

 

Metz, France - St Stephen's Cathedral

 

Saint-Étienne de Metz (French for "Saint-Stephen of Metz"), also known as Metz Cathedral, is a historic Roman Catholic cathedral in Metz, capital of Lorraine, France. Saint-Étienne de Metz is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Metz and the seat of the Bishop of Metz, currently Pierre Raffin.The cathedral treasury exhibits the millennium rich collection of the Bishopric of Metz, including paraments and items used for the Eucharist.

 

Saint-Stephen of Metz has one of the highest naves in the world. The cathedral is nicknamed the Good Lord's Lantern (French: la Lanterne du Bon Dieu), displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with 6,496 m2 (69,920 sq ft). Those stained glass windows include works by Gothic and Renaissance master glass makers Hermann von Münster, Theobald of Lixheim, and Valentin Bousch and romantic Charles-Laurent Maréchal, tachist Roger Bissière, cubist Jacques Villon, and modernist Marc Chagall.

 

Built between 1220 and 1552, it is the product of the unification of two distinct churches. With its 42 metre high vaults, it is one of the highest Gothic edifices in Europe. With its 6,500 m² of stained glass windows, the nickname “God’s lantern” is well merited. There are windows from the 13th to the 20th centuries by Hermann de Münster, Thiebault de Lixheim, Valentin Bousch, Jacques Villon and Marc Chagall. These masterpieces of the art of fire and light form a veritable encyclopaedia of the art of stained glass.

 

Architecture

 

Saint-Stephen Cathedral is a Rayonnant Gothic edifice built with the local yellow Jaumont limestone. Like in French Gothic architecture, the building is compact, with slight projection of the transepts and subsidiary chapels. However, it displays singular, distinctive characteristics in both its ground plan and architecture compared to most of the other cathedrals. Because of topography of Moselle valley in Metz, the common west-east axis of the ground plan could not be applied and the church is oriented north-northeast. Moreover, unlike the French and German Gothic cathedrals having three portals surmounted by a rose window and two large towers, Saint-Stephen of Metz has a single porch at its western facade. One enters laterally in the edifice by another portal placed at the south-western side of the narthex, declining the usual alignment of the entrance with the choir.

 

The nave is supported by flying buttresses and culminates at 41.41 metres (135.9 ft) high, making one of the highest naves in the world. The height of the nave is contrasted by the relatively low height of the aisles with 14.3 metres (47 ft) high, reinforcing the sensation of tallness of the nave. This feature permitted the architects to create large, tall expanses of stained glass. Through its history, Saint-Stephen Cathedral was subjected to architectural and ornamental modifications with successive additions of Neoclassical and Neogothic elements.

 

Construction history

 

The edification of Saint-Stephen of Metz took place on an Ancient site from the 5th century consecrated to Saint Stephen protomartyr. According to Gregory of Tours, the shrine of Saint Stephen was the sole structure spared during the sack of 451 by Attila's Huns. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the walls of an Ottonian basilica dating from the 10th century. The integration into the cathedral's ground plan of a Gothic chapel from the 12th century at the western end resulted in the absence of a main western portal; the south-western porch of the cathedral being the entrance of the former chapel. The work was completed around 1520 and the new cathedral was consecrated on 11 April 1552.

 

In 1755, French architect Jacques-François Blondel was awarded by the Royal Academy of Architecture to built a Neoclassical portal at the West end of the cathedral. He disengaged the cathedral's facade by razing an adjacent cloister and three attached churches and achieved the westwork in 1764.

 

In 1877, the Saint-Stephen of Metz was heavily damaged after a conflagration due to fireworks. After this incident, it was decided the refurbishment of the cathedral and its adornments within a Neogothic style. The western facade was completely rebuilt between 1898 and 1903; the Blondel's portal was demolished and a new Neogothic portal was added.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metz_Cathedral

 

www.cathedrale-metz.fr/Welcome.html

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

the art of Homecoming Mums, for the edification of everyone who didn't go to high school in texas.

I like to read off my lap top. I have hundreds of books on it and I like the way it holds the book for me and the page is nicely lighted and I can make the type face any size I like.

Fall Fiesta at Key School Escuela Key October 5, 2011

Diana Center, Barnard College, by Weiss/Manfredi, Morningside Heights, Manhattan, New York City, New York

올해 신년사에 제시된 강령적과업관철에로 추동하는 선전화들

Inaugurons l’âge d’or de l’édification d’une puissance prospère dans cette année, celle du 7e congrès du PTC !

 

Let us usher in a golden age in building a thriving nation in this year when the Seventh Congress of the Workers’ Party of Korea is to be held!

 

В этом году, году проведения VII съезда Трудовой партии Кореи, откроем полосу бурного развития в строительстве могучего и процветающего государства!

  

www.noko-redstar.com

 

voyage en corée du nord

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

Metz, France - St Stephen's Cathedral

 

Saint-Étienne de Metz (French for "Saint-Stephen of Metz"), also known as Metz Cathedral, is a historic Roman Catholic cathedral in Metz, capital of Lorraine, France. Saint-Étienne de Metz is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Metz and the seat of the Bishop of Metz, currently Pierre Raffin.The cathedral treasury exhibits the millennium rich collection of the Bishopric of Metz, including paraments and items used for the Eucharist.

 

Saint-Stephen of Metz has one of the highest naves in the world. The cathedral is nicknamed the Good Lord's Lantern (French: la Lanterne du Bon Dieu), displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with 6,496 m2 (69,920 sq ft). Those stained glass windows include works by Gothic and Renaissance master glass makers Hermann von Münster, Theobald of Lixheim, and Valentin Bousch and romantic Charles-Laurent Maréchal, tachist Roger Bissière, cubist Jacques Villon, and modernist Marc Chagall.

 

Built between 1220 and 1552, it is the product of the unification of two distinct churches. With its 42 metre high vaults, it is one of the highest Gothic edifices in Europe. With its 6,500 m² of stained glass windows, the nickname “God’s lantern” is well merited. There are windows from the 13th to the 20th centuries by Hermann de Münster, Thiebault de Lixheim, Valentin Bousch, Jacques Villon and Marc Chagall. These masterpieces of the art of fire and light form a veritable encyclopaedia of the art of stained glass.

 

Architecture

 

Saint-Stephen Cathedral is a Rayonnant Gothic edifice built with the local yellow Jaumont limestone. Like in French Gothic architecture, the building is compact, with slight projection of the transepts and subsidiary chapels. However, it displays singular, distinctive characteristics in both its ground plan and architecture compared to most of the other cathedrals. Because of topography of Moselle valley in Metz, the common west-east axis of the ground plan could not be applied and the church is oriented north-northeast. Moreover, unlike the French and German Gothic cathedrals having three portals surmounted by a rose window and two large towers, Saint-Stephen of Metz has a single porch at its western facade. One enters laterally in the edifice by another portal placed at the south-western side of the narthex, declining the usual alignment of the entrance with the choir.

 

The nave is supported by flying buttresses and culminates at 41.41 metres (135.9 ft) high, making one of the highest naves in the world. The height of the nave is contrasted by the relatively low height of the aisles with 14.3 metres (47 ft) high, reinforcing the sensation of tallness of the nave. This feature permitted the architects to create large, tall expanses of stained glass. Through its history, Saint-Stephen Cathedral was subjected to architectural and ornamental modifications with successive additions of Neoclassical and Neogothic elements.

 

Construction history

 

The edification of Saint-Stephen of Metz took place on an Ancient site from the 5th century consecrated to Saint Stephen protomartyr. According to Gregory of Tours, the shrine of Saint Stephen was the sole structure spared during the sack of 451 by Attila's Huns. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the walls of an Ottonian basilica dating from the 10th century. The integration into the cathedral's ground plan of a Gothic chapel from the 12th century at the western end resulted in the absence of a main western portal; the south-western porch of the cathedral being the entrance of the former chapel. The work was completed around 1520 and the new cathedral was consecrated on 11 April 1552.

 

In 1755, French architect Jacques-François Blondel was awarded by the Royal Academy of Architecture to built a Neoclassical portal at the West end of the cathedral. He disengaged the cathedral's facade by razing an adjacent cloister and three attached churches and achieved the westwork in 1764.

 

In 1877, the Saint-Stephen of Metz was heavily damaged after a conflagration due to fireworks. After this incident, it was decided the refurbishment of the cathedral and its adornments within a Neogothic style. The western facade was completely rebuilt between 1898 and 1903; the Blondel's portal was demolished and a new Neogothic portal was added.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metz_Cathedral

 

www.cathedrale-metz.fr/Welcome.html

School of Mathematical Sciences Building (Credit: Craig Auckland / Fotohaus)

Saint-Stephen Cathedral Metz, France, is a Rayonnant Gothic edifice built with the local yellow Jaumont limestone. Like in French Gothic architecture, the building is compact, with slight projection of the transepts and subsidiary chapels. However, it displays singular, distinctive characteristics in both its ground plan and architecture compared to most of the other cathedrals. Because of topography of Moselle valley in Metz, the common west-east axis of the ground plan could not be applied and the church is oriented north-northeast. Moreover, unlike the French and German Gothic cathedrals having three portals surmounted by a rose window and two large towers, Saint-Stephen of Metz has a single porch at its western facade. One enters laterally in the edifice by another portal placed at the south-western side of the narthex, declining the usual alignment of the entrance with the choir. The nave is supported by flying buttresses and culminates at 41.41 metres high, making one of the highest naves in the world. The height of the nave is contrasted by the relatively low height of the aisles with 14.3 metres high, reinforcing the sensation of tallness of the nave. This feature permitted the architects to create large, tall expanses of stained glass. Through its history, Saint-Stephen Cathedral was subjected to architectural and ornamental modifications with successive additions of Neoclassical and Neogothic elements.

The edification of Saint-Stephen of Metz took place on an Ancient site from the 5th century. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the walls of an Ottonian basilica dating from the 10th century. The integration into the cathedral's ground plan of a Gothic chapel from the 12th century at the western end resulted in the absence of a main western portal; the south-western porch of the cathedral being the entrance of the former chapel. The work was completed around 1520 and the new cathedral was consecrated on 11 April 1552. In 1755, French architect Jacques-François Blondel was awarded by the Royal Academy of Architecture to built a Neoclassical portal at the West end of the cathedral. He disengaged the cathedral's facade by razing an adjacent cloister and three attached churches and achieved the westwork in 1764. In 1877, the Saint-Stephen of Metz was heavily damaged after a conflagration due to fireworks. After this incident, it was decided the refurbishment of the cathedral and its adornments within a Neogothic style. The western facade was completely rebuilt between 1898 and 1903; the Blondel's portal was demolished and a new Neogothic portal was added.

This is my new headshot for our mutual edification.

God, Country, Notre Dame, Sacred Heart Basilica, University of Notre Dame

1 2 ••• 47 48 50 52 53 ••• 79 80