View allAll Photos Tagged dwelling
IJburg, Amsterdam, NL
In IJmeer, a lake on Amsterdam’s eastern side, the city’s new residential district IJburg is coming into being on seven artificial islands of dredged sand. When, a few decades from now, the district is complete, 45,000 city dwellers will be living here in 18,000 dwellings. In 2001, the first building was completed on Haveneiland West. The urban design scheme for these islands (2000) is based on a grid of rectangular blocks, rectilinear streets, green strips and waterways. On Kleine Rieteiland, ‘private plots’ are being built on by private individuals who are working with an architect of their choice, without a supervisory architect and without any aesthetic control by the municipal inspectorate. On Steigereiland, too, the new city district has taken shape. The urban design scheme for Steigereiland (2001) is based on the ‘collage city’ concept, which means that each of the eight neighbourhoods has been given its own individual character as far as possible. In some of the neighbourhoods on Steigereiland, space has been reserved for floating dwellings. In other neighbourhoods, as on Kleine Rieteiland, private plots have been issued and in strips 1 and 2 this has resulted in a high degree of architectural variation. The design of the public space will provide the necessary cohesion. In October 2005, the go-ahead was given for the construction of the first dwellings on Haveneiland Oost. This marks the final part of IJburg’s first phase, comprising Steigereiland, Haveneiland and the Rieteilanden.
Address/Title: 118 West Leigh Street
Photographer: Zehmer, John G. (John Granderson), 1942-
Original Description (from Book): Raised on an exceptionally high basement, the porch remains in a somewhat stripped condition. The original window sash remains as does the wood fence.
City/Location: Richmond (Va.)
Date of photograph: ca. 1978
Map URL: maps.google.com/maps?q=37.549356,+-77.440707+(118%20West%...
Original Publication: Zehmer, John G., and Robert P. Winthrop. 1978. The Jackson Ward historic district. Richmond: Dept. of Planning and Community Development.
Rights: www.library.vcu.edu/copyright.html
Reference URL: dig.library.vcu.edu/u?/jwh,501
Collection: VCU Jackson Ward Historic District
A very atmospheric shot of an erstwhile dwelling after the arrival of the French. For me personally, what nails the shot is the upturned canoe with all those rugs drying on it. The canoe makes the scene look so very Canadian! (Ottawa, Canada, Dec. 2012)
Phanom Rung or, with its full name, Prasat Hin Phanom Rung or Phanom Rung Stone Castle, or Prasat Phnom Rong in Khmer, is a Khmer temple complex 1,320 feet ( 400 metres ) above sea level, in Buri ram province in the Issan region of Thailand. It was built in sandstone and laterite in the 10th to 13th centuries. It was a Hindu shrine dedicated to Shiva, and symbolises Mount Kailash, his heavenly dwelling. Thailand's Department of Fine Arts spent 17 years restoring the complex to its original state from 1971 until 1988. On 21 May 1988, the park was officially opened by Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. In 2005, the temple was submitted to UNESCO for consideration as a future World Heritage Site.
Phanom Rung is one of Thailand's most amazing Khmer architecture site, aged over a thousand years old. Built on an extinct volcano, it was originally a Hindu religious site and later became a Buddhist one. Several additions were made during the 15th-18th Buddhist century. The first thing noticed on arrival is a grand stairway from the foot of the hill up to the top. Most of the sanctuary buildings are made of laterite and sandstone, all with elaborate designs. The buildings are lined all the way to the main pagoda whose layout is according to Hindu belief of the layout of God Shiva’s heaven.
The large main pagoda has a square base facing the East. Exquisite designs on the pagoda, columns, doorway, and lintels tell a story of Hindu gods. Each building features descriptive motifs reciting a purpose of its construction, functionality and beliefs of ancient people. Based on these intricate designs and architecture, it is surmised that the pagoda, the stairway and the Naga Bridge were all built during the 17th Buddhist century.
After the three-levelled lower stairway, the visitor finds himself/herself on the first cruciform platform with a first peak at the main temple. On the right, northward, is Phlab Phla or the White Elephant House. The pavilion is believed to be the place where kings and the royal family would change attire before rituals. Royalty would then enter the Processional Walkway, one of the most impressive elements of the park. It is 160 meters long and bordered by seventy sandstone posts with tops of lotus buds. The Walkway itself is paved with laterite blocks.
The Walkway leads to the first of three naga bridges. The five-headed snakes face all four directions and are from the 12th century. This bridge represents the connection between heaven and earth. The naga bridge leads to the upper stairway, which is divided into five sets. Each set, has terraces on the sides. The last terrace is wide, made with laterite blocks. It has a cruciform shape and four small pools. A couple more steps lead to the second naga bridge. It has the same shape as the first one, only smaller. In the middle the remains of an eight petaled lotus carving can be seen.
This final terrace leads to the outer gallery. It probably used to be a wooden gallery with a tiled roof, but only a raised floor of laterite remains. After the outer gallery one reaches the inner gallery, which is divided in long and narrow rooms. It served as a wall around the principal tower. This last gallery leads to the third and last naga bridge, another small copy of the first one.
The bridge leads you directly into the main sanctuary. After the antechamber and the annexe, one reaches the principal tower. Double porches lead out in all directions. The inner sanctum used to have the inga, the divine symbol of Shiva. Currently, only the somasutra remains which was used to drain water during religious rites. The entrances have various lintels and icons depicting Hindu religious stories, e.g. the dancing Shiva and the five Yogi's. The southern entrance is guarded by a sandstone statue.
Apart from the main tower, other buildings in the compound are:
Two brick sanctuaries built around the 10th century, northeast of the tower.
The minor sanctuary southwest of the tower with a sandstone altar for a sacred image. It was built with sandstone in the 11th century. Prang Noi has only one entrance facing east. The sanctuary is square with indented corners, giving it a round feel.
Two Bannalai southeast and northeast of the principal tower. The buildings are rectangular and have only one entrance. They were built in the last period, around the 13th century, and used as a library for holy scriptures.
Admission to the park costs 40 Baht and it is open daily from 06:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m. Tel: +66 4463 1746
How to get there: There is a bus from Buri ram city to Ban Ta-Ko and from there you can get a Songtaew to Phanom Rung.
Joseph McGill, director of the Slave Dwelling Project, visited Sweet Briar College to spend the night in the 19th-century cabin.
L-R:
Liz Anderson; Barbara Payne '08; Mario Danneels, VCCA fellow; Mike Hayslett, SBC naturalist; Joseph McGill; Crystal Rosson, great-granddaughter of Sterling Jones Sr. (last inhabitant of cabin); Lynn Rainville, professor and event organizer; Dave Griffith, professor; and Toni Battle.
"One Week" (1920)
Directed by Edward F. Cline
Buster Keaton
Produced by Joseph M. Schenck
Written by Edward F. Cline
Buster Keaton
Starring Buster Keaton
Sybil Seely
Joe Roberts
Lon Chaney[citation needed]
Cinematography Elgin Lessley
Editing by Buster Keaton
Distributed by Metro Pictures
Release dates September 1, 1920[1]
Running time 19 minutes
Country USA
Language Silent film
English intertitles
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rpt6cFRkxY
"Selling the Dwelling: The Books That Built America’s Houses, 1775-2000" At the Grolier Club December 11 2013-February 7 2014; Curated by Richard W. Cheek
"In December of 2013 the Grolier Club will host an extraordinary exhibition on the history of the American Dream of home ownership. Over 200 rare books, periodicals, drawings, periodicals, and printed ephemera will show how the idea of “A Home for All” was marketed in the United States, first through eighteenth-century builder’s guides, then by nineteenth-century pattern books, and finally by twentieth-century house plan catalogues.
"The plans, elevations, and large, elaborate, and often colorful perspective views in these books fueled the growth of home ownership in America. The story begins in 1775 with George Bell’s reproduction of Abraham Swan’s The British Architect, credited as the first architectural book published in America. The show will contrast early American editions of luxurious pattern books for the wealthy with a selection of the more modest “builder’s guides” used by most Americans who desired to construct a house. As the Republic grew, and novel styles of design began to challenge Classical and Federal norms, new domestic pattern books such as Alexander Jackson Davis’s Rural Residences (1837) began to offer plans and elevations in the new Italianate and Gothic styles.
"After a hiatus in building during the Civil War, American house building resumed in earnest, fueled by an explosion of architectural book publishing, which now focused on providing house plans by mail. The trend begins in 1856 with Cleaveland and Backus’s Village and Farm Cottages and Cummings and Miller’s Architecture (1865), and grows throughout the 1870s with Hussey’s 1875 Home Building, and Palliser’s Model Homes for the People (1876).
"By the 1880s the quasi-periodical publications of Robert W. Shoppell’s “Co-operative Building Plan Association” illustrate the growing importance of magazines -- Godey’s Lady’s Book, Ladies’ Home Journal, House Beautiful and House and Garden -- as a vehicle for popularizing house designs. At the turn of the century, as the demand for more small houses increased, local millwork companies and national retailers like Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward began to produce pre-cut homes that could be shipped by railroad for assembly by local carpenters. The exhibition devotes a special section to the advertising and marketing of this new mode of house-building.
"With so many different businesses issuing house plan books simultaneously, an incredible variety of often elaborately-designed and printed publications was produced, usually accompanied by other forms of advertisement such as home planning guides, company journals, flyers, posters, calendars and paper models. Focusing directly on the consumer, chiefly on women, this vast panoply of promotional material promised a tasteful, convenient, and comfortable dwelling to anyone who purchased the products and services or followed the advice being offered. The post-WWII home-building boom reinvigorated plan book production, with modernism gaining a foothold when the undecorated version of the ranch house became part of the vogue for wide, single-level houses in the 1950s and early 1960s.
"The exhibition tracks extensive and rapid changes to the literature of house building after 1970. The level of house catalogue publication declined in the 1970s and 80s, chiefly because large tract developers were making more of the design decisions for new dwellings than prospective homeowners were. Many smaller house plan publishers went out of business, and the supply of plan books was further diminished in the 1990s, as house designs became increasingly available on internet sites which offered CD-ROMS instead of printed catalogues.
"The evolution of the house design book in the United States is a long and complicated story, filled with architectural creativity and banality, commercial genius and excess, egalitarian and humanitarian ideals, literary and social ambition, can-do individualism, faith in progress and invention, and endless energy. All of these quintessential American traits are bound within the pages of the builder’s guides, pattern books, catalogues, and other forms of architectural literature that have competed for the financial and psychological rewards involved in designing and building a domestic haven for every citizen. Curator Richard W. Cheek highlights the more visually arresting and socially compelling examples of this genre, focusing on books that reveal the character of our country as much as they do the style of our houses."
Photograph by James Russiello
Opened 1703 and extended 1732. reroofed 1984. Meeting ceased in 1990 and the building was sold as a dwelling June 2009.
Cherokee
May the warm winds of heaven blow softly on this house and the Great Spirit bless all who enter here.
Oh Great spirit, grant that I may never find fault with my neighbor until I have walked the trail of life in his moccasins.
The Halesowen Railway station house at Hunnington closed to passengers in 1919 but is well-preserved as a private dwelling.
This is ruins of Jomon Period.
縄文時代の竪穴式住居
大塚・歳勝土遺跡公園
Otsuka/Saikachido Relics Park
PENTAX *ist DS / smc PENTAX-FA 50mm F1.4
University of Miami Libraries. Cuban Heritage Collection. Collection Title: Manuel R. Bustamante Photograph Collection. Collection No.: CHC5017.
Persistent Link: merrick.library.miami.edu/u?/chc5017,1605
From September 2007. These are Jomon period houses in Kabayama in Kitakami City. People lived here in houses like this 20,000 years ago!
In the central area of Turkey extensive cavities have been carved out of the rock of the area to create the most fantastical multistory interconnected assemblage of dwellings, churches, and other buildings which were occupied for several thousand years, evacuated only when the Turkish army forcefully evicted the last remaining occupants after WWI (they were Christians presumably of Greek descent who were transported to Greece, according to our guide.)
On the Spruce Tree House Trail
Spruce Tree House was constructed between 1211 and 1278. It is the third largest cliff dwelling at Mesa Verde, with 130 rooms and 8 kivas.
***NOTE*** Normally Spruce Tree House is open to the public for self guided tours. However, the site has been closed since October 2015 due to a rock fall and cracks in the arch above the structure.
Mesa Verde National Park is located in the Four Corners region of southwest Colorado. The Park preserves over 5,000 structures, including 600 cliff dwelling which were built by the Ancestral Puebloans. The Mesa Verdeans lived in these Pueblos for over 500 years, before abandoning them in the late 1200's.