View allAll Photos Tagged complex
The Richfield Town Hall, Police Station, and Fire Station, circa 1988. The complex at 4410 Streetsboro Rd. was built in 1958-59.
Location of slide: Slide Notebook #1
According to legend, the Glastonbury Tor is the The Isle of Avalon, burial site of King Arthur.
Name: St Michael's Church, monastic remains, and other settlement remains on Glastonbury Tor
Overview
Heritage Category:Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:1019390
Date first listed:24-Apr-1951
County:Somerset
District:Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:Glastonbury
The Diocese of Bath and Wells
National Grid Reference:ST 51198 38597
Heritage Category:Listed Building
Grade:I
List Entry Number:1345475
Date first listed:21-Jun-1950
Reasons for Designation
The complex of settlement remains, graves, building foundations, and standing remains on Glastonbury Tor have been demonstrated by excavation to reveal a lengthy period of occupation on the Tor lasting, with possible gaps, from around the fifth or sixth centuries through to the Dissolution of 1539. The height, shape, and prominence of the Tor in an otherwise flat and once marshy landscape means that it will have attracted attention for its defensive qualities as well as being naturally attractive as a place of spiritual or religious pilgrimage. The high status nature of the pottery and metal finds of the post-Roman period found in excavation suggest the use of the site as a stronghold although an early Christian settlement cannot be ruled out. Certainly, the site supported what appears to be a monastic retreat from at least the tenth century and churches were successively built on the summit. The second medieval church has been shown to have been accompanied by contemporary buildings suggesting that a permanent presence was retained on the Tor in order to attend to pilgrims and enabling mass to be celebrated; the tower of this church, dedicated to St Michael, still stands as a landmark which may be seen from miles around. A number of surviving medieval documents serve to confirm the antiquity of the Tor as a religious centre and it is firmly woven into the ancient and literary traditions surrounding the presence of King Arthur at Glastonbury. The monument will retain important archaeological evidence for the lives and religious beliefs of the populace of the post-Roman period (a period where evidence is otherwise very scarce), the later Saxon period, and the medieval period, the signifigance of the Tor in former times as a place of worship and the relationship between this site and the nearby Glastonbury Abbey.
Details
The monument on Glastonbury Tor includes part of the below ground remains of a post-Roman occupation site dating from the sixth to the seventh centuries AD, part of a monastic settlement probably dating from at least the tenth century, and part of the above and below ground remains of what has been interpreted as a medieval pilgrimage centre for the cult of St Michael. This latter complex includes the foundations of the church of St Michael and its 14th century standing tower which is a Listed Building Grade I. All of these remains are located on the relatively flat summit and the south west shoulder of Glastonbury Tor, a prominent natural conical hill with a 300m long whale- backed ridge sloping away to the south west, just to the south east of Glastonbury. The summit, at 158m above sea level, has commanding views over much of the flat Somerset Levels which surround it and the Tor is traditionally associated with the legendary Isle of Avalon, a reputed resting place of King Arthur. Although artifact finds of earlier periods have been made on the Tor, the earliest evidence of settlement comes from the post-Roman period (the so-called Dark Ages). Excavation carried out in 1964-66 demonstrated the presence of the remains of timber structures, metal working hearths, and pits, on the summit of the Tor to the north east of St Michael's Tower. These remains, which were planned, recorded, and published, were considered by the excavator Philip Rahtz to represent the site of a post-Roman stronghold or settlement centred on the sixth century, but perhaps dating from as early as the fifth century, of secular or possibly early Christian origin. Two graves discovered in association with the earliest recorded remains were considered to be pagan due to their north-south orientation. Post-Roman finds recovered from the excavation were of high quality for the times and included imported Mediterranean pottery associated with either wine or olive oil which are indicative of a surviving trading network in the post-Roman south west; this contrasts with what appears to be the situation in the rest of the country. There is no evidence of continuity between the early settlement and the complex which replaced it but continuity in some form may be considered likely. In excavation, a number of timber buildings set on platforms cut into the rock and including two possible monastic cells and the post-holes for timber uprights of a possible communal building were recorded. These remains have been interpreted as those of a monastic retreat of late Saxon origin which lasted probably into the early Norman period. A cross base found on the summit was believed to be Saxon in date. Although there is no direct reference to a pre-Conquest monastery on the Tor, a 13th century document known as the `charter of St Patrick' names two lay brothers, Arnulph and Ogmar, residing on the Tor in former times. This suggests that in the 13th century there was a strong tradition that there had been a monastic settlement on the Tor. The summit of the Tor is dominated by the standing tower of the church of St Michael. The original stone church, which may have had timber predecessors, has extant foundations believed to date from the 12th century. This church appears to have formed the focus of a monastic complex and this is confirmed by a charter of 1243 which gives permission for the holding of a fair `at the monastery of St Michael on the Tor'. The 12th century church was reportedly destroyed by an earthquake on 11th September 1275. Rebuilding commenced under Abbot Adam of Sodbury in the first half of the 14th century and the base of the standing tower is believed to date from this period; it was restored in 1804 with the north east corner being entirely rebuilt. The tower, which survives to three stories high but is unroofed, has seven canopied niches on its western side. Five of these are vacant but one contains a statue of St Dunstan and another, the base of a statue of St Michael. Flanking the western doorway of the tower, are matching relief carvings, one of an angel watching over the weighing of a soul and one of St Bridget milking her cow; a relief carving of an eagle is set just below the string course of the upper storey. On the east side of the tower the scar of the nave roof may be seen; its foundation walls partly survive below ground and were recorded and left in situ by the excavator. The exposure of the foundations showed the rebuilt medieval stone church to have been 25m in length inclusive of the tower, and 7.5m wide. Revealed in excavation to the south west of the church were the enclosure wall of the churchyard and beyond that the traces of a suite of buildings of 14th to 15th century date which are interpreted as the living quarters of a resident priest in attendance at the church, and a possible bakehouse for the provision of food to pilgrims. If this interpretation is correct it seems likely that pilgrims attracted to Glastonbury Abbey would visit St Michael's on the Tor as well and that the two establishments were almost certainly linked in some way. All of the above ground stonework of St Michael's Church, apart from the tower, was removed in the aftermath of the Dissolution of 1539 probably at the same time that buildings at Glastonbury Abbey were dismantled. The last Abbott of Glastonbury, Michael Whyting, was executed on the Tor in 1539 as part of the political ramifications of the Dissolution and his quartered body distributed to the four Somerset towns of Wells, Bath, Bridgwater, and Ilchester.
Excluded from the scheduling are all fencing, guard rails, and fencing posts, fixed benches, modern steps, bollards, fixed point information boards, and concrete hard standing, although the ground beneath all these features is included.
© Historic England 2020
The Tahai Ceremonial Complex is an archaeological site on Rapa Nui (Easter Island) in Chilean Polynesia. Restored in 1974 by the late Dr. William Mulloy, an American archaeologist, Tahai comprises three principal ahu from north to south: Ko Te Riku (with restored eyes), Tahai, and Vai Ure. Visible in the distance from Tahai are two restored ahu at Hanga Kio'e, projects that Mulloy undertook in 1972. Like other Mulloy restoration projects at Ahu Akivi, the ceremonial village of Orongo and Vinapu, the ceremonial center at Tahai now constitutes an integral part of the Rapa Nui National Park, designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage site.
Built in 1870, this Richardsonian Romanesque-style former psychiatric hospital was designed by Henry Hobson Richardson to serve the population of the rapidly growing urban areas in Western New York with more advanced mental health treatment. Sitting among a large park-like campus designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, the rusticated Medina red sandstone and brick structures of the hospital are laid out primarily according to the Kirkbride plan. The the largest commission by footprint and square footage designed by Richardson during his storied and significant career, being one of the earliest examples of his signature Richardsonian Romanesque style, which mixes rusticated stone with Romanesque architecture to create romantic picturesque compositions reminiscent of Medieval castles and churches in Europe.
The campus was expanded over time with the construction of additional wings in red brick on either side of the original Medina sandstone buildings, which consists of the central five wings, the three brick wings at the eastern end of the complex having been removed in the 1970s to make way for a modern psychiatric facility, despite the complex’s historic and architectural significance having been recognized during the 1960s. Additional buildings not in the kirkbride formation were scattered around the grounds, including a greenhouse behind the main building, several smaller service and utility buildings, and buildings that were constructed to provide additional wards to house patients during the early 20th Century, as well as buildings meant to house staff.
When the hospital was in operation, patients were segregated by sex, with male patients being housed in the eastern pavilions, and female patients being housed in the western pavilions. The building was utilized as a psychiatric hospital known as the Buffalo State Asylum until the 1970s, when changing methods of treating psychiatric illness were developed, leading to the building becoming obsolete and newer facilities being built on the grounds. The central wing of the complex, however, remained in use as administrative offices for the still-operating psychiatric treatment facilities on the property until 1994.
The building went through a period of significant and prolonged deterioration and uncertainty between the 1970s and 2008, with the unsecured facility becoming vandalized, decayed, and unsafe. However, in 2008, in the wake of a successful lawsuit filed by the Preservation Coalition of Erie County, the State of New York was forced to commit $100 million in order to rehabilitate the structure. Between the spring of 2008 and the fall of 2012, the complex was stabilized, and in 2013, the South Lawn was converted from parking lots back into the original, verdant green space it was meant to be. In 2017, the first phase of the building's adaptive reuse and rehabilitation was completed, which transformed the central three pavilions into the Hotel Henry and Conference Center, with the Buffalo Architecture Center also opening in the renovated structure. The plans for the complex were to convert the remaining intact but vacant pavilions into additional space for the Hotel Henry Urban Resort Conference Center, which would have been spectacular once it transformed and revitalized the amazing historic structure. However, due to restrictions and economic effects relating to the recent pandemic, Hotel Henry became insolvent and closed in 2021.
The complex consisted of a central wing with two tall towers that housed administrative facilities, flanked by five pavilions on each side, which progressively stair-step north from the central pavilion, a key feature of the Kirkbride plan, with a total of 11 structures in the complex, with three brick pavilions having been removed from the east side of the complex. The central wing features two towers with steeply-pitched copper-clad roofs, turrets at the corners, shed dormers, and corbeling, hipped dormers of varying sizes, with recessed panels and windows of varying sizes helping tie it back to its medieval aesthetic inspiration. The wing also features wall dormers, windows with arched transoms and stone trim, gabled roofs, and two-story arced connecting corridors that link it to the pavilions next to it on either side, features that are shared with the other medina sandstone buildings in the Richardson-designed portion of the complex. The front of the central wing features a porch with arched openings supported by columns with ornate capitals, tile mosaics on the faces of the vaults and blind arches on the porch, and a central doorway with an arched transom. The rear facade has been slightly modified with the installation of a curtain wall where an addition had been connected to the building in the mid-20th Century, which was added to serve as a primary and fully accessible entrance to the hotel that formerly operated in the building, with a large metal canopy having been added to this side of the building in 2021-22. To either side of the main wing are a total of four medina sandstone wings that formerly housed patient wards, which are largely identical and feature hipped and gabled roofs, wall dormers, windows with stone trim and arched transoms, arced two-story connecting corridor structures, and chain link-enclosed steel and concrete porches on the unrestored outer wings, which were once present on all of the wards, but were removed on the wards that were restored.
To the north and west of the sandstone structure are a series of red brick wings and buildings in various states of deterioration, with the two western wings being similar in appearance to the medina sandstone wings, but one floor shorter, blocky four-story red brick wings with low-slope roofs to the rear of the outermost sandstone wings, and two one-story service buildings behind the middle wings that flank the central wing, which feature hipped roofs, and differ a lot in materiality and details. At the very end of the western wings is a wing that is turned 90 degrees from the wing it is attached to and is roughly H-shaped, being only one story in height, featuring a gabled roof, a wooden porch with doric columns at the northwest corner, and a one-story bay window in the middle of the north facade. These wings are in much worse condition than the sandstone portions of the complex.
The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and was named a National Historic Landmark in 1986. The complex’s future is presently uncertain, with a large section of copper missing from the north side of the roof of the east tower on the central wing, many of the wings still languishing in abandonment and severe disrepair, and no longer having an anchoring business to preserve and reuse the buildings.
The 41 Complex Fires in 2011 consisted of 5 lightning caused fires that burned more than 15,200 acres on the Darby Ranger District of the Bitterroot National Forest. All of the fires were located in the Sapphire Mountains approximately 10 miles east of Hamilton. The largest fire, Up Top, grew to more than 12,300 acres and burned across Skalkaho Highway, closing the road to motorists for several weeks. The fire burned completely around the historic Gird Point Lookout which was saved by firefighters. More than 530,000 gallons of water and 150,000 gallons of fire retardant were dropped on the fires and more than 350 firefighters were assigned to the 41 Complex. To see more fire photos visit www.inciweb.org/incident/2544
Designed by me. Crane with baby cranes 2004 (top) & opposite cranes 2005 (bottom) are both from 1 piece.
This is Tianmenshan temple complex on top of steep mountains. It's been destroyed and rebuilt since the original was built - around 870 AD
Français - photo 1/2 -
------------------
Nom : Western Pond Turtle (Tortue de l'Ouest)
Difficulté : 17/20
Nombre total d'étapes : 98
Papier utilisé : papier métallisé 35x35 centimètres
Auteur du diagramme : Robert J. Lang
Titre du livre : Origami Design Secrets
Description :
Une tortue. Quel modèle original et réaliste que nous propose ici Robert J. Lang ! Le réalisme va même jusqu'à représenter les exacts motifs hexagonaux d'une vraie carapace de tortue. On ne les voit pas très bien sur les photos à cause du mauvais éclairage, mais ils sont facilement discernable en réalité.
Bien évidemment, c'est la préparation et la prise des marques pour réaliser ces motifs qui a pris le plus de temps dans la réalisation de ce modèle.
En effet, il a fallu prendre des marques en divisant un côté du carré en 39 portions égales et le côté opposé en 78 portions. Ensuite, il a fallu marquer des diagonales en reliant certains de ces points opposés entre eux : d'où toutes les marques de plis en forme de triangles équilatéraux sur la carapace. Après ceci, les pattes et la tête n'étaient qu'une formalité.
========================================
English - picture 2/2 -
------------------
Name: Western Pond Turtle
Difficulty: 17/20
Total number of steps: 98
Paper used: metallized paper 13.8x13.8 inches
Diagram author: Robert J. Lang
Book title: Origami Design Secrets
Description:
A turtle. What an original and realistic model proposed by Robert J. Lang! Realism goes so far that it represents the exact hexagonal patterns of a real turtle shell. We do not really see them on the pictures because of bad lighting, but they are easily discernible in real.
Obviously, it is the preparation and marking to achieve these patterns that took the most time in the realization of this model.
Indeed, I had to make marks by dividing one side of the square into 39 equal portions and the opposite side into 78 portions. Then we had to mark some diagonal folds to link some points: that's why there are all brands of pleated form of equilateral triangles on the shell. After this, the legs and head were a formality.
The Pashupatinath Temple (Nepali: पशुपतिनाथ मन्दिर) is a famous, sacred Hindu temple dedicated to Pashupatinath and is located on the banks of the Bagmati River 5 kilometres north-east of Kathmandu Valley in the eastern city of Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. This temple is considered one of the sacred temples of Hindu faith. The temple serves as the seat of the national deity, Lord Pashupatinath. This temple complex is on UNESCO World Heritage Sites's list Since 1979. This "extensive Hindu temple precinct" is a "sprawling collection of temples, ashrams, images and inscriptions raised over the centuries along the banks of the sacred Bagmati river" and is included as one of the seven monument groups in UNESCO's designation of Kathmandu Valley as a cultural heritage site. One of the major Festivals of the temple is Maha Shivaratri on which day over 700,000 devotees visit here.
The twelve Jyotirlinga (in India) are the body and the Jyotirlinga at Pashupatinath in Kathmandu (Nepal) is the head over this body.
The temple is one of the 275 Paadal Petra Sthalams (Holy Abodes of Shiva) on the continent. Kotirudra Samhita, Chapter 11 on the Shivalingas of the North, in Shiva Purana mentions this Shivalinga as the bestower of all wishes.
HISTORY
The temple was erected anew in the 15th century by Lichhavi King Shupuspa after the previous building had been consumed by termites. Countless further temples have been erected around this two -storied temple. These include the Vaishnav temple complex with a Ram temple from the 14th century and the Guhyeshwari Temple mentioned in an 11th-century manuscript.
LEGEND ABOUT THE TEMPLE ORIGIN
Pashupatinath Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Kathmandu. It is not known for certain when Pashupatinath Temple was founded. But according to Nepal Mahatmaya and Himvatkhanda, the deity here gained great fame there as Pashupati, the Lord of all Pashus, which are living as well as non-living beings. Pashupatinath Temple's existence dates back to 400 A.D. The richly-ornamented pagoda houses the sacred linga or holy symbol of Lord Shiva. There are many legends describing as to how the temple of Lord Pashupatinath came to existence here. Some of them are narrated below:
THE COW LEGEND
Legend says that Lord Shiva once took the form of an antelope and sported unknown in the forest on Bagmati river's east bank. The gods later caught up with him, and grabbing him by the horn, forced him to resume his divine form. The broken horn was worshipped as a linga but overtime it was buried and lost. Centuries later an astonished herdsmen found one of his cows showering the earth with milk. Digging deep at the site, he discovered the divine linga of Pashupatinath.
THE LINCHCHAVI LEGEND
According to Gopalraj Vamsavali, the oldest ever chronicle in Nepal, this temple was built by Supuspa Deva, a Linchchhavi King, who according to the stone inscription erected by Jayadeva 11 in the courtyard of Pashupatinath in 753 AD, happened to be the ruler 39 generations before Manadeva (464-505 AD).
THE DEVALAYA LEGEND
Another chronicle states that Pashupatinath Temple was in the form of Linga shaped Devalaya before Supuspa Deva constructed a five storey temple of Pashupatinath in this place. As the time passed, the need for repairing and renovating this temple arose. It is learnt that this temple was reconstructed by a medieval King named Shivadeva (1099-1126 AD). It was renovated by Ananta Malla adding a roof to it. Thousands of pilgrims from all over the world come to pay homage to this temple, that is also known as 'The Temple of Living Beings'.
OTHER BELIEFS
There are several complex stories involving the origins of Pashupatinath. One story goes, in brief, that Shiva and Parvati came to the Kathmandu Valley and rested by the Bagmati while on a journey. Shiva was so impressed by its beauty and the surrounding forest that he and Parvati changed themselves into deers and walked into the forest. Many spots in the Kathmandu Valley are identified as places where Shiva went during his time as a deer. After a while the people and gods began to search for Shiva. Finally, after various complications, they found him in the forest, but he refused to leave. More complications ensued, but ultimately Shiva announced that, since he had lived by the Bagmati in a deer's form, he would now be known as Pashupatinath, Lord of all animals. It is said that whoever came here and beheld the lingam that appeared there would not be reborn as an animal.
FINDING OF SHIVA LINGA AT PASHIPATINATH TEMPLE
It is said that the wish-fulfilling cow Kamadhenu took shelter in a cave on the Chandravan mountain. Everyday Kamadhenu went down to the place the lingam was sunken into the soil and poured her milk on top of the soil. After ten thousand years some people saw Kamadhenu pouring milk on that same spot everyday, and started to wonder what that would be. So they removed the soil and found the beautiful shining lingam and started worshiping it.
TEMPLE COMPLEX
The area of Pashupatinath encompasses 264 hectare of land including 518 temples and monuments. Main pagoda style temple is located in the fortified courtyard within the complex guarded by Nepal Police and has a police outpost post along with living quarter within. In front of the western door there is a huge statue Nandi bull, in bronze. Along with many temples and shrines of both Vaishnav and saiva tradition.
TEMPLES AND SHRINES IN THE INNER COURTYARD
Vasuki nath temple
Unmatta Bhairav temple
Surya narayan temple
Kirti mukh bhairav shrine
Budanil kantha shrine
Hanuman shrine
184 shivaling shrine
TEMPLES AND SHRINES IN THE OUTER COMPLEX
Ram mandir
Virat swaroop temple
12 jyotirlingha and Pandra Shivalaya
Guhyeshwari Temple
MAIN TEMPLE ARCHITECTURE
This main temple is built in the Nepalese pagoda style of architecture. All the features of pagoda style is founded here like cubic constructions, beautifully carved wooden rafters on which they rest (tundal). The two level roofs are of copper with gold covering. The temple resides on a square base platform with a height of 23m 7 cm from base to pinnacle. It has four main doors, all covered with silver sheets. This temple has a gold pinnacle (Gajur). Inside are two Garbhagrihas, outer and inner. The inner garbhagriha or sanctum sanctorum is where the idol is placed and outer sanctum is an open corridor like space.
THE DEITY
The sacro sanctum, or the main idol is a stone Mukhalinga with a silver yoni base bound with silver serpent. The lingam is one metre high and has faces in four directions. These faces represents various ascepts of Shiva; Sadyojata (also known as Barun), Vamdeva (also known as Ardha nareshwor), Tatpurusha, Aghor & Ishana (imaginative). Facing West, North, East, South and Zenith respectively representing five primary elements namely earth, water, air, light and ether. Each face has tiny protruding hands holding rudraksha mala on right hand and a kamandalu on the other.Unlike other shiva lingams in India and Nepal this pashupati shiva lingam is always Dressed in its golden vastra except during abhishakam, so pouring milk and ganga jal is only possible during abhishakam through the main priests.
PRIESTS
Daily rituals of Pashupatinath are carried out by two sets of priests ;one being the Bhatt priests and other Bhandari. Bhatta or Bhatt are the one who performs the daily ritual and can touch the lingam, where as Bhadaris are the helper and temple care taker priests but are not qualified perform pooja rituals or to touch the deity.
Bhatta or Bhat are highly educated Vedic bhramin Scholars from Brahmin family from South Indian State Karnataka.Unlike other Hindu temples priesthood of Pashupatinath is not hereditary. Priests are selected from a group of scholars educated by Shri Shankaracharya Dakshinamnaya Peeth Sringeri on Rig Vedic Recitation, initiated in Pashupata Yoga by Kashi Math,Shiva Āgama and learned Recitation of Samaveda from Haridwar.After qualifying and fulfilling all those criteria they will be selected for Priesthood by Raj Guru of Pashupatinath Temple undergoing strict examination on Vedas and Shiva Agamas and then the qualifies are sent to Kathmandu for performing Puja and Daily Worship of Lord Shri Pashupatinath This tradition is reported to have started by the request of Adi Shankaracharya in the 8th century, who sought to unify the different states of Bharatam (Unified India) by encouraging cultural exchange. This procedure is also followed in other temples around Bharata-varsa which were sanctified by Adi Shankaracharya. The unique feature of this temple is that only 4 Bhatta priests can touch the deity.Current Bhatt priests of the temple are;
Ganesh Bhat (15th head priest of the Pashupatinath Temple aka Mool Bhat) from Udupi.
Ram Karanth Bhat from Mangaluru.
Girish Bhat from Sirsi.
Narayan Bhat(Recently appointed) from Bhatkal
Raghavendra Bhat (Priest for Vasuki Nath temple only)
Bhandaris or Rajbhandari are the treasurers, temple caretakers, and assistant priest of the temple.
These Bhandaris are the descendants of helper priests brought up by early Bhatts, but were allowed to settle in Kathmandu valley and later assimilated in existing Newar caste of Rajbhandari - a high-caste Chathariya/Kshatriya clan of Kashyapa gotra. Their main function is to help the Bhatta priest and perform maintenance of the inner Garbhagriha. They can have little or no Vedic knowledge but still qualify as assistant priests if they belong from the same family lineage and undergo some basic criteria like caste, gotra, lineage purity, educational qualification, etc. They work in set of four and change in every full moon day. There are a total of 108 Bhandaris.
ENTRY AND DARSHAN
Temple courtyard has 4 entrances in all directions.The western entrance is the main entrance to the temple courtyard and rest three entrances are only opened during big festival . Temple security (Armed Police Force Nepal) is selective regarding who is allowed entry into the inner courtyard . Practicing Hindus and buddhist of Indian and Tibetan descendent are only allowed into temple courtiyard . Practicing Hindus of western descent are not allowed into the temple complex along with other non Hindu Visitors. Sikh and Jain groups are allowed into the temple compound if they are of Indian ancestry. Others can look at the main temple from adjacent side of the river and has to pay a nominal fee of $10 (1000 Nepali rupee) for visiting hundreds of small temples in the external premises of the temple complex . The inner temple courtyard remains open from 4 am to 7 pm for the devotee but the Inner Pashupatinath Temple where the Lingam of lord Pashupatinath is established is open from 5am to 12 pm for the morning ritual and viewing and from 5pm to 7 pm for evening ritual. Unlike many other Saiva temples devotees are not allowed to enter in the inner-most Garbhagriha but are allowed to view from the exterior premises of the outer Garbhagriha.
FESTIVALS
There are many festivals throughout the year .Thousands of people attend these festival.The most important festival is the Maha Shiva Ratri .Bala chaturthi and Teej.
CONTROVERSY OF 2009
In January 2009, after the forced resignation by the chief priest of Pashupatinath temple, the Maoist-led government of Nepal "hand picked" Nepalese priests to lead the temple, thus bypassing the temple's long-standing requirements. This appointment was contested by the Bhandaris of the temple, stating that they were not against the appointment of Nepalese priests but against the appointment without proper procedure. After the appointment was challenged in a civil court, the appointment was overruled by Supreme Court of Nepal.However, the government did not heed the ruling and stood by its decision. This led to public outrage and protests over a lack of transparency. The paramilitary group of the CPN (Maoist), called YCL, attacked the protesters, leading to over a dozen injuries. Lawmakers and activists from opposition parties joined protests, declaring their support for the Bhatta and other pro-Bhatta protesters. After long dissatisfaction and protest by Hindus both in and outside Nepal, the government was forced to reverse its decision that had been declared illegal by the Supreme Court of Nepal and reinstate Bhatta priests.
2015 EARTHQUAKE
The main temple complex of Pashupatinath and the sanctum sanctorum was left untouched but some of the outer buildings in the World Heritage Site were damaged by the April 2015 Nepal earthquake.
WIKIPEDIA
This seat cover is one of the pair I sewed myself using an ancient Singer treadle-driven machine that I had excavated from a pile of rubbish at a village dump site and restored. That is an interesting story in itself — remarkable technologies used to make those old machines, their robustness and amazing performance, even after decades spent in a landfill — but I digress. The point was to say that most of our efforts, however sophisticated, are equivalent to total ideldom in their end result, not taking into account scattered monuments like this, and a false sense of accomplishment that such activities may create.
Source: 110207_065228.RAF
The giant fountain with Complex Desjardins in the background. This is a Wednesday afternoon so not many people out at the Jazz festival at this point.
"My God, I swear I used to be happy, but life has become so complicated, no, like, yeah, it's definitely more complex."
The Mission San Gabriel Arcángel is a fully functioning Roman Catholic mission and a historic landmark in San Gabriel, California. The settlement was founded by Spaniards of the Franciscan order on "The Feast of the Birth of Mary," September 8, 1771, as the fourth of what would become 21 Spanish missions in California. San Gabriel Arcángel, named after the Archangel Gabriel and often referred to as the "Godmother of the Pueblo of Los Angeles", was designed by Father Antonio Cruzado, who hailed from Córdoba, Spain. Cruzado gave the building its strong Moorish architectural influence. The capped buttresses and the tall, narrow windows are unique among the missions of the California chain.
Mission San Gabriel was founded on September 8, 1771 by Father Junipero Serra. The planned site for the Mission was along the banks of the Río de los Temblores (the River of the Earthquakes—the Santa Ana River). The priests chose an alternate site on a fertile plain located directly alongside the Rio Hondo in the Whittier Narrows.
The site of the Misión Vieja (or "Old Mission") is located near the intersection of San Gabriel Boulevard and Lincoln Avenue in Montebello, California (known to the natives as Shevaanga). In 1776, a flash flood destroyed much of the crops and ruined the Mission complex, which was subsequently relocated five miles closer to the mountains in present-day San Gabriel (the native settlement of 'Iisanchanga). The Mission is the base from which the pueblo that became the city of Los Angeles was sent.
Well over 25,000 baptisms were conducted at San Gabriel between 1771 and 1834, making it the most prolific in the mission chain. In its heyday it furnished food and supplies to settlements and other missions throughout California. A majority of the Mission structures fell into ruins after it was secularized in November 1834. The once-extensive vineyards were falling to decay, with fences broken down and animals roaming freely through it.
The Mission's chapel functioned as a parish church for the City of San Gabriel from 1862 until 1908, when the Claretian Missionary Fathers came to San Gabriel and began the job of rebuilding and restoring the Mission. On October 1, 1987 the Whittier Narrows Earthquake damaged the property. A significant portion of the original complex has since been restored.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Gabriel_Arc%C3%A1ngel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_...
EGYPT CAIRO GIZA PYRAMIDS COMPLEX PHOTOSTORIES
NEW 7 WONDERS OF WORLD TOUR PHOTOSTORIES
Copyright 2011 © sundeepkullu.com All rights reserved.
The Stock samples of SDBWP SunDeep Bhardwaj World Photography in flickr Photostream cannot be Copied,Distributed,Published or Used in any form,full or in part,or in any kind of media without prior permission from Sundeep Bhardwaj the owner of these images.Utilization in other websites,intenet media,pages,blogs etc without written consent is PROHIBITED.
The images are also available for licence through GETTY IMAGES or directly by contacting Sundeep Bhardwaj Kullu Himachal Around the World to more than 50+Countries & 200+Major Destinations across 6 Continents.
Sundeep Bhardwaj Kullu
sb@sundeepkullu.com
+91 9816499629
+974 55344547
These are reduced sized pictures.Orignal pictures shot in 5,616 × 3,744 (21.1 megapixels) using Canon EOS 5D Mark II FULL FRAME DSLR CAMERA or 3872 x 2592 (10.2 million effective pixels) using NIKON D60 DSLR or 4,288 × 2,848 (12.3 effective megapixels) USING NIKON D90 DSLR's.
All rights reserved.
copyright 2011 © sundeepkullu.com
Developer - phototube.co
Affiliation - himachalculturalvillage.com
Slide Shows | Full Screen Mode | Adobe Flash -
Stars Complex Urban Garden: 7/25/09,day three of three.
Sown Together partners with Ft. Myers’ STARS Complex, The Boys and Girls Clubs of Lee County, and Key Club Volunteers to construct an urban vegetable garden.
Stars Complex Urban Garden: 7/25/09,day three of three.
Sown Together partners with Ft. Myers’ STARS Complex, The Boys and Girls Clubs of Lee County, and Key Club Volunteers to construct an urban vegetable garden.
The U.S. Air Force’s Global Positioning System (GPS) IIF-6 satellite, encapsulated inside a 4-meter-diameter payload fairing, is mated to its United Launch Alliance Delta IV rocket in preparation for launch from Space Launch Complex-37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Photo credit: United Launch Alliance