View allAll Photos Tagged coldwar
Check out UK Urban Exploration blog Sick Britain where you can read the site report for this visit to Whitchurch ROC and other military urbex adventures.
De Historische Collectie Grondgebonden Luchtverdediging (HCGLVD, voorheen HVGLVD) is ontstaan door samenvoeging van de Historische Verzameling Luchtdoelartilleriematerieel (Ede) en de traditiekamer van de Groep Geleide Wapens (Luchtmachtbasis De Peel).
De collectie biedt een overzicht van de ontwikkelingsgeschiedenis van de grondgebonden luchtverdediging vanaf 1915 tot heden.
De collectie is ondergebracht in twee hallen, tevens is er een buitenexpositie. Voor de medewerkers is er een gebouw met kantoren, een vergaderzaal en een werkplaats. Bezoekers kunnen zelfstandig alles bekijken en via de multimediazuilen extra informatie krijgen over de getoonde collectiestukken.
De Historische Collectie Grondgebonden Luchtverdediging (HCGLVD, voorheen HVGLVD) is ontstaan door samenvoeging van de Historische Verzameling Luchtdoelartilleriematerieel (Ede) en de traditiekamer van de Groep Geleide Wapens (Luchtmachtbasis De Peel).
De collectie biedt een overzicht van de ontwikkelingsgeschiedenis van de grondgebonden luchtverdediging vanaf 1915 tot heden.
De collectie is ondergebracht in twee hallen, tevens is er een buitenexpositie. Voor de medewerkers is er een gebouw met kantoren, een vergaderzaal en een werkplaats. Bezoekers kunnen zelfstandig alles bekijken en via de multimediazuilen extra informatie krijgen over de getoonde collectiestukken.
Front view of the prototype McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II, now resting at the Ft. Worth Aviation Museum.
a cancellation mark I grew up with -- meanwhile nuclear weapons were being regularly "tested" in the open atmosphere of Nevada and later the Pacific Ocean
photo 16 F-104 Starfighter of the RNLaf of Sqn 306, Volkel airforce base passing Neptune 203 on 13 july 1981 together they are above the North sea and keeping an eye on the Russian Kresta 2 cruiser.
What a stunning beauty this Coldwar fighter. See phot 15
A Royal Observer Corps (ROC) underground monitoring post, opened in August 1960 and closed in September 1991. It was part of a network of such posts, designed to monitor fallout in the event of a nuclear attack in the UK.
The Ace High system was a Cold War Tropospheric Scattering "Over-the-Horizon" radio communication chain that stretched from Alaska to Turkey via Iceland and the UK. It was made obsolete by satellite broadcast technology. These huge dishes were not worth the cost of salvage and were left to the elements in a Lincolnshire field
This is one of three Gnat simulators known to have been built, the other survivor is with the Newark Air Museum. It was fully restored by the Boulton Paul Association members, who added the nose and and a Red Arrows sound system.
The Redifon 101 Simulator used an analogue computer to produce a ''standard simulator''. Unfortunately digital computers arrived very quickly, making analogue obsolete. A small batch was built for the RAF, representing a Jet Provost Mk.V from one seat and a deHavilland 125 from the other seat. The simulator was given to the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum by the Imperial War Museum Duxford, it is unfortunate that the hydraulic powerpack, frequently convertor for a 400 cycle supply and documentation are all missing.
Development of the single-seat lightweight Gnat fighter was started as a private venture by the the former Folland Aircraft Company in 1951. The RAF did not adopt it as a fighter, however, they did use it as a two-seat transonic advanced trainer. Fourteen were ordered in 1958, and total orders reached 105 by 1965. The Gnat entered service in 1962 and by the end of that year had superceded the Vampire T.11 trainer as the RAF's standard advanced trainer. Export sales were achieved, especially to the Indian Air Force, and it is thought that the simulator may have come from there.
The Gnat found fame with it's aerobatic capabilities, firstly with the RAF 's ''Yellow Jackets'' display team who displayed in 1964, and then the ''Red Arrows'' making their first appearance in 1965. The Gnat's more versatile replacement, the Hawker Siddeley Hawk, entered service in 1978, although the Red Arrows did not upgrade to the new type until 1980.
▪︎Wing Span: 24ft 0in
▪︎Length: 31ft 9in
▪︎Height: 8ft 7in
▪︎Powerplant: Bristol Orpheus 100
▪︎Range: 1,180 miles
▪︎Maximum Speed: 695 mph
Generously gifted to the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum by Boulton Paul Associates.
(Information from the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum)
English Electric Thunderbird Mk1 Surface to Air Missle (SAM).
The Thunderbird entered service with the British Army in 1959 as a mobile air defence weapon. The missile was launched using four booster rockets that fell away after three seconds leaving the core missile to carry on to the target up to 48km away.
50 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, the National Museum of Flight will take you back in time to experience what life was like in the middle of the Cold War.
Find out more about the Cold War Experience here.
This Fallout Shelter sign marked the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building in Pierre as a public fallout shelter during the Cold War era.
Awarded for help with cleanup of the Chernobyl disaster.
I'm particularly fond of the little alpha, beta, and gamma particles.
If you watch closely in the movie Coraline, you can spot this medal on the chest of Mr. Bobinsky.
ORFORD NESS, Suffolk, UK.
Lots of military and scientific development work was carried out here from 1917 onwards, including early Radar (RDF), bomb sight testing, aircraft armament testing, long range communications...
.
.. and latterly, Nuclear Weapon Tests. No really.
In the 1950s the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment (AWRE) took up residence on Orford Ness. Atomic bombs were tested here.
Not the actual nuclear stuff, but the everything else involved in an atomic bomb explosion. Vibration, temperature extremes and G forces were measured here. They even dropped bombs here with warheads (but without the fissile material).
There are many derelict buildings still (just about) standing involved with the nuclear testing, but by far the most iconic are the two "Pagodas" (Labs 4 and 5).
The site was closed in 1971 and is now a nature reserve, administered by The National Trust. Nevertheless, many of the curious buildings remain, (and are now scheduled monuments) hinting at the secret and sometimes mysterious work that went on here.
NORTH AMERICAN T28C TROJAN -
This design, a winner of U.S.A.F. competition in 1948 for a new trainer, bridged the gap between the early primary trainers of much lower power and the Ab Initio jet trainers then in use. On introduction it was the most powerful aircraft used for primary training and was adopted by both the U.S.A.F. and U.S. Navy. The T28C variant had deck-landing arrester gear for training purposes. A total of 1,948 were built. Surplus T28's were adapted for ground-attack duties and the T28D variant then evolved for service by the U.S. in South Vietnam and the Congo. An aircraft similar to the D variant was built by Sud-Aviation in France and called the ''Fennec'' some served with the Argentine Navy.
146289 -
Having served with the U.S. Navy from October 1957 for three years at the Naval Air Base Training Command at Pensacola, it moved to the Bureau of Naval Weapons at Columbus, Ohio, to serv with training squadron VT-5 at Saufley Field for pilot deck-landing training on the U.S.S. Lexington, it served finally with VT-3. Struck off charge in 1964, it went to the Congo Air Force in Leopoldville and aquired the serial FA-289 for use in the light attack role in the Congo War under the auspices of the CIA. When the Republic of Congo became Zaire, it was redesignated an AT-28C attack trainer and given the serial FG-289 but declared surplus in 1977. Brought privately, it was dismantled after force-landing in Limoges in France during the ferry flight to the U.S. the fuselage eventually ended up in an East Ham garden. In May 1981 the aircraft was aquired by the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum. During repainting, eight sets of insignia were found, two U.S. Navy, four Congo Air Force, one Zaire Air Force and the U.S. ferry registration.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION -
▪︎Year Built: 1957
▪︎Manufacturer: North American Aviation Inc
▪︎Purpose: Basic Trainer / Light Ground Attack
▪︎Crew: Two
▪︎Powerplant: Wright R-1820-56S piston engine of 1,425 hp
▪︎Armament: 2 x .50 in machine gun packs with under-wing bombs and rockets
▪︎Maximum Speed: 380 mph
▪︎Range: 500 + miles
▪︎Wing Span: 40 ft 7 in
▪︎Length: 32 ft 10in
▪︎Height: 12 ft 8 in
▪︎Gross Weight: 8,495 lb.
Information from the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum.
"Cyber warfare? I brought you the ICIT advisory. Russian influence operations? I brought you CCIOS advisory. Space Warfare, I brought you Center for Space Warfare
Studies advisory. Now give me more shit to fix! " - James Scott #DeepState #AmericaFirst #FakeNews #DrainTheSwamp #KeepingPromises #CyberWar #ColdWar #CyberWarfare #SpaceWars #cybersecurity #infosec #security #malware #hacking #IoT #CyberAttack #cyberattacks #hackers
A patch representing the U.S. Submarine Force’s role in the Cold War. The patch depicts the submarine warfare insignia (two dolphins flanking an O-class submarine), a nuclear submarine (top), and a diesel submarine (bottom). U.S. Navy submarines played critical roles during the Cold War, including conducting surveillance and reconnaissance missions and carrying out strategic deterrence patrols with nuclear weapons.
In the collection of the U.S. Naval Undersea Museum, Keyport, WA. www.navalunderseamuseum.org/
Sited at the side of Maxey Road beside a WWII Starfish Decoy Control Bunker. All surface features remain intact with the green paint in good condition. There is some damage to the access shaft and all the ventilation louvres are missing. A new larger hatch (Torlift) has been fitted (1989) and the top of the shaft reconstructed. The hatch is locked but can be opened with a Torlift key or a large screwdriver. Internally much remains including aircraft photographs, maps, papers, signs, dismantled bunks, folding table and shelf and cupboard. Other items have been removed to the restored post at Dersingham, Norfolk. Opened in 1960 and closed in 1991.
At a right angle bend in the hedgerow between two fields, 150 yards North of Furze Lane, There is some compound fencing remaining in place. All surface features remain intact, the ventilation louvres are mostly rotten. The hatch is open. Internally the post is strewn with rubbish and has been completely stripped. The internal door to the monitoring room is hanging off its hinges. An Orlit B stand in bushes within the compound. It is in fair condition but al the doors, shelves etc have been removed. Opened in 1958 and closed in 1968.
De Historische Collectie Grondgebonden Luchtverdediging (HCGLVD, voorheen HVGLVD) is ontstaan door samenvoeging van de Historische Verzameling Luchtdoelartilleriematerieel (Ede) en de traditiekamer van de Groep Geleide Wapens (Luchtmachtbasis De Peel).
De collectie biedt een overzicht van de ontwikkelingsgeschiedenis van de grondgebonden luchtverdediging vanaf 1915 tot heden.
De collectie is ondergebracht in twee hallen, tevens is er een buitenexpositie. Voor de medewerkers is er een gebouw met kantoren, een vergaderzaal en een werkplaats. Bezoekers kunnen zelfstandig alles bekijken en via de multimediazuilen extra informatie krijgen over de getoonde collectiestukken.
De Historische Collectie Grondgebonden Luchtverdediging (HCGLVD, voorheen HVGLVD) is ontstaan door samenvoeging van de Historische Verzameling Luchtdoelartilleriematerieel (Ede) en de traditiekamer van de Groep Geleide Wapens (Luchtmachtbasis De Peel).
De collectie biedt een overzicht van de ontwikkelingsgeschiedenis van de grondgebonden luchtverdediging vanaf 1915 tot heden.
De collectie is ondergebracht in twee hallen, tevens is er een buitenexpositie. Voor de medewerkers is er een gebouw met kantoren, een vergaderzaal en een werkplaats. Bezoekers kunnen zelfstandig alles bekijken en via de multimediazuilen extra informatie krijgen over de getoonde collectiestukken.
Fallout shelter main communications desk. The phones were still operational when this photo was taken.
An Orlit B in good condition stands 10 yards to the east at the right angle bend in the hedgerow. It is heavily overgrown. Two wooden shelves remain inside. Opened in 1961 and closed in 1968.
1947 ECG Machine
Manufactured by Smith and Stone
Georgetown, ON, Canada
Canada Museum of Science and Technology
CSTM artifact no. 2002.0068.001
Students, University of Ottawa, Department of History
Group members: Jess, Elza, and Jillian
The ECG, or electrocardiogram, was used for the detection and diagnosis of heart abnormalities. This model was compact, mobile and designed for hospital use. It also resembles a radar console. In fact, Smith &Stone hired former NRC radar engineers to design their high-end electronic equipment. ECG machines were produced at Smith and Stone in Georgetown Ontario until 1954 when the Special Products department shut down
The Ling-Temco-Vought A-7 Corsair II single-seat attack aircraft was originally designed as a replacement for the United States Navy's Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. After modification (the installation of an improved Allison TF41-A-1 turbofan engine and a M61 Vulcan multi-barrel 20mm cannon) the A-7D was also adopted by the Air Force in 1968.
The A-7D proved to be a reliable single-seat, close air support aircraft innovative in being the first aircraft to use a modern Heads Up Display (HUD) providing detailed information on dive angle, airspeed, altitude, drift and weapons guidance. The A-7's advanced integrated navigational system, the Projected Map Display System (PMDS), showed the aircraft's exact location on two different map scales. Serving in Southeast Asia the A-7D proved itself to be an excellent close air support aircraft and a particularly apt platform for delivering the first generation of today's modern precision guided weapons. When A-7D production ended in 1976, 459 had been delivered to the USAF.
The FV432 is the Armoured Personnel Carrier variant of the British Army's FV430 Series of Armoured Fighting Vehicles. Since its introduction in the 1960's, it has been the most common variant, being used for transporting Infantry on the battlefield. In the 1980's, almost 2,500 vehicles were in use, around 500 remaining in operation, mostly in supporting arms rather than front-line infantry service.
Although the FV432 series was originally to have been phased out of service in favour of the then-newer vehicles, such as the Warrior and the CVR(T) series, 500 have been upgraded to extend their service into the next decade. In light of the Army's need for additional armoured vehicles in the Afghan and Iraqi Theatres, the Ministry of Defence announced in August 2006 that an extra 70 vehicles would be upgraded by BAE Systems in addition to the 54 already ordered as part of their Force Protection Initiative.
The improvements take the form of an engine upgrade, a new steering unit and a new braking system, as well as improvement in armour protection to a level similar to that of the Warrior. In addition, plates lined with Kevlar have been added to the bottom hull. This is intended to provide better protection against improvised explosive devices. It is intended that these FV432's will free up the Warrior vehicles for provision of reserve firepower status and/or rotation out of theatre, the updated version is called the Bulldog.
The FV432 was designed to be the Armoured Personnel Carrier in the FV430 series. Production started in 1962 by GKN Sankey and ended in 1971, after constructing approximately 3,000 vehicles. The FV432 is of all-steel construction, the chassis is a conventional tracked design with the engine at the front and the driving position to the right. Directly behind the driver's position is the Vehicle Commander's Hatch. There is a large round opening in the passenger compartment roof, which has a split/folding (concertina) hatch, and a (right hand) side-hinged door in the rear for loading and unloading. As in many designs of its era, there are no firing ports for the troops carried, British Army doctrine having been for troops to dismount from vehicles to fight, unlike Russian Infantry Fighting Vehicles that largely incorporate firing ports. The passenger compartment has five seats on either side which fold up to provide a flat cargo space.
An Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Weapons (NBC) System is fitted, normal ventilation provided by a fan mounted in the forward right hand side of the vehicle, air being drawn through a paper element filter (mounted externally on the right hand side of the hull) filtered air being distributed by a duct running around the perimeter of the interior at roof level, extending into the driver's compartment. Provision is made to add carbon filters in case of gas attack, and the system can accommodate heaters and/or air conditioning units. A roof-mounted relief valve allows a constant minimal pressure to be maintained and prevent ingress of foreign matter in the event of blast or alterations in external atmospheric pressure.
Wading screens and a trim vane were fitted as standard and an extension provided to elevate the exhaust pipe. The basic vehicle, which could be readied for wading in approximately five minutes, has a water speed of about 3.7 mph when converted for swimming and was propelled by its tracks. Most of these vehicles have had their amphibious capability removed.
FV432's in service with Infantry Battalions are equipped with a Pintle-Momunted L7 General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) if not fitted with the Peak Engineering turret. Vehicles with the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals were originally fitted with the L4A4 variant of the Bren Light Machine Gun, but they now use the GPMG. When equipped with the GPMG, the vehicle carries 1,600 rounds of belted 7.62mm ammunition, when carrying the Bren LMG, the vehicle carried 1,400 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition (50 Magazines, each holding 28 rounds) there are also two three-barrel smoke dischargers at the front.
General characteristics -
▪︎Type: Armoured Personnel Carrier
▪︎Place of Origin: United Kingdom
▪︎In Service: 1963 to present
▪︎Manufacturer: GKN Sankey
▪︎Mass: 15.3 tons / Length: 17ft 3in / Width: 8ft 4in / Height: 7ft 6in
▪︎Crew: 2 + 10 Troops
▪︎Armour: 0.5in Maximum
▪︎Main Armament: 7.62mm L7 General Purpose Machine Gun
▪︎Secondary Armament: Smoke Dischargers
▪︎Engine: Rolls-Royce K60 multi-fuel 240hp
▪︎Power / Weight: 15.7hp / tonne
▪︎Suspension: Torsion-bar, 5 road wheels
▪︎Operational range: 360 miles
▪︎Maximum speed: 32mph.
Information sourced from - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV432
On October 4 2009 we attended SALT "Red Oktober", which was a grand day out for all enthusiasts of Cold-War era vehicles. We visited East Anglia, and finished as guests of the Triumph Car Day at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford, where our Coldwar vehicles were outnumbered by hundreds of Stags, Heralds, Spitfires, TRs etc.
Mighty ZIL 131 fire engine, made in the USSR, though this one had it's active service life in Czechoslovakia.
An Orlit B in good condition stands 10 yards to the east at the right angle bend in the hedgerow. It is heavily overgrown. Two wooden shelves remain inside. Opened in 1961 and closed in 1968.
USS Ranger (CV-61), hulk of USS Long Beach (CGN-9) and several decommissioned submarines awaiting their fates at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
At a right angle bend in the hedgerow between two fields, 150 yards North of Furze Lane, There is some compound fencing remaining in place. All surface features remain intact, the ventilation louvres are mostly rotten. The hatch is open. Internally the post is strewn with rubbish and has been completely stripped. The internal door to the monitoring room is hanging off its hinges. An Orlit B stand in bushes within the compound. It is in fair condition but al the doors, shelves etc have been removed. Opened in 1958 and closed in 1968.
In 1973 Iran wanted to purchase the Rapier missile system which comprised three separate towed units. They preferred an integrated mobile version so British Aerospace redesigned the Rapier and mounted it on a U.S cargo carrier. Designated ''Tracked Rapier'' development started in 1974 but by the time it was completed in 1978 the Shah of Iran and his regime had fallen from power. The vehicles were then purchased by the British Army for an air defence battery in 1982.
The missile launch unit is at the rear with the optical tracker being hydraulically raised through the cab making it extremely cramped for its three crew members. The Tracked Rapier variant has eight missiles compared with only four on the towed system. In addition to the diesel vehicle engine there is a second engine to power the radar and launcher.
The Rapier system saw several upgrades during it's service being finally withdrawn in the late 1980's when they were replaced by the more sophisticated Field Standard Rapier system. However in 1991, during the preparation for the first Gulf War a number of Tracked Rapier's were recovered from various civilian and military sources and brought back into service although never used.
Missile specifications -
▪︎Warhead: Proximity fragmentation
▪︎Engine: Solid fuel rocket
▪︎Operational Range: 1,200 - 22,000 feet (400 - 6,800 meters)
▪︎Speed: Mach 2.5 (1,600mph).
Information from The Muckleburgh Military Collection.
The Kelvedon Nuclear Bunker
Hidden in a wood off the A128 Ongar - Brentwood Road, is a small bungalow which hides a big secret. Behind it lies a three floored bunker complex in which 600 people would have been confined behind blast proof doors in the event of a nuclear war.
The deep, 125 foot, bunker was built in 1952/3 as part of Rotor, an urgent government building programme to improve Britain's air defence network. The bunker was the Sector Operations Command for the RAF Fighter Command. Known as SOC - R4, it was to provide command and control of the London Sector of Fighter Command.
Once into the bungalow, it leads to a 100 yard tunnel before you are in the bunker itself. Above you are two more floors, the 'hill' which covers it, and a radio mast, one of two, which would have been vital for communications.
The reason for the bunker was to take on a far more potentially catastrophic role in the 1960's. Because of the threat of nuclear war the bunker became the regional government bunker for London. The aim of the bunker was that it was to be one of the government administration centres communicating with the many other smaller bunkers situated throughout the country, organising the country after a nuclear attack.