View allAll Photos Tagged built

Built just for fun, full RC

2L for move

1M for steering

Built in 1890 on the site of a much earlier church no fabric of which was incorporated into the new build apart from monuments attached to the exterior. Pevsner was not happy about the design describing the build as bad architecture. Some of the fabric of the early church has been incorporated into adjacent buildings.

One monument on the South of the building is of some interest with its references to slavery. Not expected perhaps on a church on the East Fellside - see next picture.

Built a new home for my Mama and having some fun decorating it. <3

Rohtas Fort (Urdu: قلعہ روہتاس Qila Rohtas) is a garrison fort built by the great Afghan king Sher Shah Suri. This fort is about 4 km in circumference and the first example of the successful amSher Shah Suri named Qila Rohtas after the famous Rohtasgarh Fort in Shahabad district near Baharkunda, Bihar which he captured from the Raja of Rohtas Hari Krishan Rai in 1539. Rohtasgarh is situated on the upper course of the river Son, 20 37’ N and 85 33’E. It was built by Harish Chandra of the Solar dynasty and was named after his son Rohitasva after whom the fort (Rohtasgarh) was namedalgamation of Pukhtun and HinduShah Chandwali Gate

This gate links the citadel to the main fort. It is named after a Saint Shah Chandwali who refused to get his wages for working on this gate. The saint died while still on work and was buried near the gate. His shrine still stands to this day.

This gate is also a double gate. The outer gate, the entrance of which is from the citadel is 13.3 meters wide and 8.23 meters deep. The inner gate is a simple archway which is 3.66 meters wide.

architecture in the sub-continent

 

Built, owned and operated by local villagers. Traditional house design.

Built by Armstrong Whitworth in 1953 as a standard Meteor F.8.

Converted to ‘Prone Pilot’ configuration so that the Institute of Aviation Medicine could research the effects of gravity on a pilot while lying down rather than sitting up. While the concept had been proposed for potential rocket fighters, the use of ‘G’ suits removed the need for prone position pilots and the project was short lived.

Test flying ended in 1955 and the aircraft was put into store. It flew to 33MU at RAF Lyneham in 1959 and carried out two further flights there before being retired. In 1965 she was transferred to the Air Historical branch and moved to RAF Colerne for display. When Colerne was listed for closure in 1975 the Meteor was moved by road to RAF St Athan. She was not there long and moved to Cosford in 1977 where she has been on display ever since.

She is currently in the ‘Test Flight’ hangar.

RAF Museum, Cosford, Shropshire, UK.

14th August 2016

Built in 1790 by Matthew Cary Whitaker, near Enfield in Halifax County NC. This was taken about a decade ago right before it was drastically remodeled. I will post more photos and info on this place over the coming days..

Built and on display.

 

Surprising painless to go from Stud.io to built.

If only Stud.io had some sort of instruction creator.

Built between 1300-1325, the beautifully restored building is now a museum

Built in 1888.

 

In the Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register #79000727.

residential architecture for the upper middle class of the early 20th century

690? Funston Avenue, the Richmond

nine rooms

 

20220916_142233

They have feelings to...

Built in 1931 by Boston Bridge Works

Tyngsborough, MA USA

5D3_0992

1965 BR doncaster built class 86 BO BO electric loco 86612 built as E3180 renumbered to tops as 86008 in June 1973 Renumbered to 86408 in November 1985 when suspension and bogies where modified then renumbered to 86608 in September 1989 when dedicated to freight use then renumber to 86501 in May 2005 when re-geared for heavy freight converted back to standard gearing and renumber back to 86608 at a unknown date seen at stratford in Freightliner livery on the 11.06 felixstowe to Trafford freightliner service passing stratford at 13.58 3 late

These DAF YA-4440 trucks were built for the army of the Netherlands between 1978 and 1983. Later another series of these trucks (YA-4442) was built.

Built in 1965, Beverly Hills, California.

68001 Built in Eastleigh in 1956 MLV motor luggage van has also carried the numbers 9002 and 931092 seen at seen at Alresford on the Mid Hants railway in southern green livery

Built in 1609

Canon EOS 6D

EF28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Historical Walk in Broken Hill.

1. Corner of Argent and Chloride streets. Post Office. Red brick. Built 1891. Architect the Colonial Architect James Barnet. It is dominated by the square tower with the mansard roof which is on the corner with a veranda.

2. On the diagonal corner is Wendts Chambers with classical Greek triangular pediments along roof line and two projecting triangular pediment headed sections. It was built in 1892 by Wendts jewellers of Adelaide for they used Broken Hill silver in their work. They leased sections of the building including to the Commonwealth Bank from 1914.

3. Old Town Hall next to PO. Foundation stone 1890 laid by Sir Henry Parkes Premier of NSW. Opened 1891. Very ornate stone building with double veranda and projecting porch and balcony. Look for the griffins on the end wall.

4. Opposite Town Hall is a fine granite commercial building the Pirie Building erected in 1891. In grey stone with classical style with symmetry – triangular pediments over end double rectangular windows and another over the double central rounded windows. The architects Withall and Wells also designed the Town Hall opposite.

5. Next to Town Hall is old Police station. Red brick with arched veranda and built in 1890.Cell block at its rear.

6. Next door is the Art Deco/Federation style Technical College built in 1900. Now a TAFE College. Two government architects including Walter Liberty Vernon. Note central air vent and wooden cupola so necessary in this climate with no air conditioning!

7. Next is the fine Courthouse. Architect was James Barnet the Colonial Architect. Built in 1889 in stuccoed brick. Triangular pediment in middle of façade contains the NSW state emblem. Double veranda posts add to this sense of stability and power.

8. Opposite the Courthouse are Carrington Chambers one of the oldest building in Broken Hill. Built in simple style in 1888 with Dutch gable style pediment and decorative corner stones above windows.

9. Soldiers’ War Memorial by Courthouse. The statue of a soldier with a grenade was unveiled in 1925.By C. Gilbert.

10. Across the corner with massive bulk & cast iron balcony lace work is the 3 storey Palace Hotel with unusual peaked roof structures on the two corners. Built primarily in red brick in 1889. Now known for its role in the film Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Go inside to see the amazing painted murals over the stair case walls and ceilings.

11. Next door to the Palace Hotel in the former Bank of South Australia. Built in 1889 but during the bank collapse 1893 the building became the AMP. Built in classical style with pilasters and rectangular windows with no decoration. Great symmetry and balance. Triangular pediments over the street doors. It still has the AMP logo statue across the roof line although it is now a finance office.

12. Opposite the AMP is the Barrier Social Democratic Club. This was a union controlled town as most people were employed in the silver, lead and zinc mines but this organisation was formed to promote socialism. It was formed in 1903 and the building erected 1904. Return to the Palace Hotel and turn northwards to the left.

13. On the next corner right is the Trades Hall. Behind it is the original simple Trades Hall which covered unionist in the mines, the railways and government service etc. It was built in 1898 on land donated by the NSW government. The elaborate corner building was erected between 1898 and 1905. A stone building with cement rendered quoins, corner door, rounded windows, and French mansard roof etc. Turn left here.

14. Opposite the City of Broken Hill Centre (look for the busts of the group of eight who were the founders of B.H.P Proprietary) is the Barrier Daily Newspaper Building. The paper started in 1908 but the building dates from earlier. The unionist newspaper the Barrier Truth was established in 1898 and moved to this building a few years later. It was much later taken over by the Barrier Daily.

15. The next building on the right is the former Sulphide Street Railway Station which was the terminus of the Silver Tramway Company track. It is now a Migration Museum and railway museum and two other museums. Across the roundabout is the Information Centre. Turn left or northwards from this corner by the former railway station.

16. Turn right at the next roundabout so you are going around the railway museums. In the next street you see the Broken Hill Ice and Produce Company. Turn left at the next intersection and go north along Sulphide Street with Sturt Park on your right. On the next corner is the impressive Wesleyan Methodist Church now the Uniting Church. Architect was Frederick Dancker from Adelaide and built in 1888. It is heritage listed. Behind it is the stone church hall built in 1885. Used 1988 for the Pro Hart carpet advert. The walk ends here or you can continue up the hill.

17. At the next street Wolfram Street turn left and a few buildings along is the former Broken Hill Jewish synagogue. It is the most isolated Jewish synagogue in the world. Opened 1911 and closed 1962. It was restored 1990 and turned into a museum. Note the Hebrew on the façade. Retrace your steps to Sulphide Street and turn left up hill.

18. Up the hill beyond Sturt Park is an amazing castle style stone cottage. It was built around 1890 with castellations. It was the Towers Hospital of Nurse Robertson from 1890 to 1909. The historic government hospital was built in 1889 in another location. Sturt Park was created in 1895 but only named in honour of Captain Charles Sturt in 1944 – the centenary of his explorations in the Broken Hill region. It has a memorial to the bandsmen of the sinking Titanic of 1912.

19. 141 Sulphide Street is the North Broken Hill mine bachelors’ quarters building.

20 - 24. Still in Sulphide Street is the Catholic Cathedral situated on the hill with a panoramic view of Broken Hill. Opposite the Cathedral is the former orphanage now part of the catholic primary school. It was established in 1895. Behind the Cathedral up the hill is the impressive St Joseph’s Convent. The best views of the Convent are from the Catholic School car park in Lane Street. The convent was built in 1889. Opposite with the sloping stone wall is Bishop’s House. The Diocese of Wilcannia was established in 1887 and the first Catholic Church in Broken Hill opened in 1887. The current cathedral opened in 1905.The original stone and tin church behind the Bishop’s house is the 1887 Catholic Church best seen from Mica Street. Bishop’s House built in 1887 has a fine stone wall to the street.

 

Epcot is the second of four theme parks built at Walt Disney World in Bay Lake, Florida, near the city of Orlando. It opened as EPCOT Center on October 1, 1982, and spans 300 acres (120 ha), more than twice the size of the Magic Kingdom park. It is dedicated to the celebration of human achievement, namely technological innovation and international culture, and is often referred to as a "Permanent World's Fair." In 2013, the park hosted approximately 11.22 million guests, making it the fifth most visited theme park in the world. The park is represented by Spaceship Earth, a geodesic sphere that also serves as an attraction. Epcot was known as EPCOT Center until 1994, when it was later renamed Epcot '94, then Epcot '95 the following year.

EPCOT is an acronym for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow; a Utopian city of the future planned by Walt Disney, often interchanging "city" and "community." In Walt Disney's words: "EPCOT will take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry. It will be a community of tomorrow that will never be completed, but will always be introducing, and testing, and demonstrating new materials and new systems. And EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world of the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." His original vision was for a model community which would have been home to twenty thousand residents and a test bed for city planning as well as organization. It was to have been built in the shape of a circle with businesses and commercial areas at its center with community buildings, schools, and recreational complexes around it while residential neighborhoods would line the perimeter. This radial plan concept is strongly influenced by British planner Ebenezer Howard and his Garden Cities of To-morrow. Transportation would have been provided by monorails and PeopleMovers (like that in Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland.) Automobile traffic would be kept underground, leaving pedestrians safe above ground. The original model of EPCOT can still be seen by passengers riding the Tomorrowland Transit Authority attraction in the Magic Kingdom park; when the PeopleMover enters the showhouse for Stitch's Great Escape!, the remaining portion of the model is visible on the left (when facing forward) behind glass. Walt Disney was not able to obtain funding and permission to start work on his Florida property until he agreed to first build Magic Kingdom. He died nearly five years before Magic Kingdom opened.

 

After Disney's death, The Walt Disney Company decided that it did not want to be in the business of running a city without Walt's guidance. The model community of Celebration, Florida has been mentioned as a realization of Disney's original vision, but Celebration is based on concepts of new urbanism which is radically different from Disney's modernist and futurist visions. However, the idea of EPCOT was instrumental in prompting the state of Florida to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) and the Cities of Bay Lake and Reedy Creek (now Lake Buena Vista), a legislative mechanism allowing the Walt Disney Company to exercise governmental powers over Walt Disney World. Control over the RCID is vested in the landowners of the district, and the promise of an actual city in the district would have meant that the powers of the RCID would have been distributed among the landowners in EPCOT. Because the idea of EPCOT was never implemented, the Disney Corporation remained almost the sole landowner in the district allowing it to maintain control of the RCID and the cities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista; Disney further cemented this control by deannexing Celebration from the RCID.

 

The original plans for the park showed indecision over the park's purpose. Some Imagineers wanted it to represent the cutting edge of technology, while others wanted it to showcase international cultures and customs. At one point, a model of the futuristic park was pushed together against a model of a World's Fair international theme, and the two were combined. The park was originally named EPCOT Center to reflect the ideals and values of the city. It was constructed for an estimated $800 million to $1.4 billion and took three years to build, at the time the largest construction project on Earth. The parking lot serving the park is 141 acres (57 ha) (including bus area) and can accommodate 11,211 vehicles (grass areas hold additional 500+ vehicles). Before it opened on October 1, 1982, Walt Disney World Ambassador Genie Field introduced E. Cardon Walker, Disney's chairman and CEO, who dedicated EPCOT Center. Walker also presented a family with lifetime passes for the two Walt Disney World theme parks. His remarks were followed by Florida Governor Bob Graham and William Ellinghouse, president of AT&T.

 

As part of the opening-day ceremony, dancers and band members performed We've Just Begun to Dream. The Sherman Brothers wrote a song especially for the occasion entitled "The World Showcase March". During the finale, doves and many sets of balloons were released. Performing groups representing countries from all over the world performed in World Showcase. Water was gathered from major rivers across the globe and emptied into the park's fountain of nations ceremonial containers to mark the opening. Located at the front of the park is a plaque bearing Walker's opening-day dedication, as seen above.

 

Future World consists of a variety of pavilions that explore innovative aspects and applications including technology and science. Future World also serves as the park's main entrance and features the park's iconic landmark, Spaceship Earth, a large geodesic sphere structure which houses a themed attraction inside. Originally, each pavilion of Future World featured a unique circular logo which was featured on park signage and the attractions themselves. The logos, including that of Epcot itself, have been phased out over recent years, but some remnants are still scattered throughout the park; the pavilions are now instead identified by name and recognized by the main attraction(s) housed inside. The various pavilions located in Future World include the following:

 

Spaceship Earth

Universe of Energy

Mission: Space

Test Track

Innoventions East

Innoventions West

The Seas with Nemo & Friends

The Land

Imagination!

Wonders of Life/Festival Center (Seasonal Operation)

 

Corporate sponsorships

 

Each pavilion was initially sponsored by a corporation which helped fund its construction and maintenance in return for the corporation's logos and some marketing elements appearing throughout the pavilion. For example, Universe of Energy was sponsored by Exxon from 1982 to 2004, and The Land was sponsored by Kraft from 1982 to 1993, then Nestlé from 1993 to 2009. Each pavilion contains a private "VIP area" for its sponsor with offices, lounges, and reception areas hidden away from regular park guests. While some pavilions still retain active sponsorships, in recent years several pavilions have lost sponsorships due to lack of interest from partner companies in renewing expiring agreements. After General Electric left Horizons in 1993, it closed for a couple of years, then reopened temporarily while neighboring attractions Universe of Energy and World of Motion were renovated. Horizons closed permanently on January 9, 1999 and was demolished in the summer of 2000 to make room for the opening of Mission: SPACE on October 9, 2003. Metlife sponsored Wonders of Life from 1989 to 2001, until that area was closed. However, the Wonders Of Life pavilion is still mostly intact and is used for both the Flower and Garden Festival and the Food and Wine Festival. Current active sponsorships include the following:

 

Test Track opened in the former World of Motion pavilion and is currently sponsored by Chevrolet

Mission: SPACE is currently sponsored by Hewlett-Packard

Spaceship Earth is currently sponsored by Siemens which also sponsors the park's nighttime show IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

Living with the Land is currently sponsored by Chiquita.

Individual small attractions and exhibits within or nearby the Innoventions pavilions are sponsored by various companies such as THINK presented by IBM, Where's the Fire? and Play It Safe presented by Liberty Mutual, Club Cool presented by Coca-Cola, The Great Piggy Bank Adventure presented by T. Rowe Price, Habit Heroes presented by Florida Blue Cross and The Sum Of All Thrills presented by Raytheon.

 

from Wikipedia

 

The mud-brick enclosure, built by King Khasekhemwy of the Second Dynasty at Hieraconpolis.

Sight on the fort from east

Much of the eastern and western wall disintegrated in the last millennia... but it must have been a striking sight in its time

 

Khasekhemwy didn't construct his enclosure on virgin grounds.

The accumulated evidence indicates that this area was a locus of very early settlement occupation ca. 3800 B.C. or earlier. Later, beginning in the Naqada IIC period (ca. 3500 B.C.), the area was used as a cemetery, because the course of the Nile had shifting farther to the east, leaving the area where the Fort now sits high and dry and well beyond the waters of the annual flood. The cemetery continued to grow to the west and north with time, so that by the Second Dynasty tombs were being built nearly half a kilometer to the north of the Fort's location.

 

An imposing location, at the edge of the cultivation at the mouth of the wadi that bisects the site, it is no surprise that Khasekhemwy, and those before him, chose this spot.

Built in 1914 at no. 911 Wellington Street East.

 

"This is a Prairie-style single-story residence, noticeably located at the south-west corner of Wellington and Woodward in the city’s east-central area. It encompasses part of Lot 15, Plan 568 and Lot 29, Plan 930. GIS coordinates: 705,711.336 5,154,111.585 Meters

 

This handsome, distinctive, well maintained home is the best example of a Prairie-style residence to be found in Sault Ste. Marie. It is an elegant Craftsman style bungalow with a variety of gently pitched roof slopes and a small hipped dormer. The eaves are deep and bracketed. The columns are plain with square abacuses and no base. The inclusion of classical modillions in a residence is rare in Sault Ste. Marie and to Prairie-style homes. A variety of rustic building materials have been utilized: stucco, wood, brick and stone. The window groupings consist of both casement and sash with inner muntin bars. Those windows on the front have been replaced with modern aluminum windows but the windows around the sunroom on the east side and those on the partial second floor are original. Many of the original storm windows are stored in the garage. Craftsmanship in the building is excellent yet simple and functional. Even the interior fireplace sports hand-carved brackets of similar design to those supporting the overhanging exterior eaves. With the exception of the kitchen and bathroom, the main floor rooms are still finished with the original oak trim and floors. An old photo of the house indicates that cedar shingles once adorned the roof.

 

This residence was constructed, in its present form, in 1914 for Richard H. Carney who was District manager for Canada Life Assurance Co. It was the Carney family who was responsible for construction of the Carney Block on Queen St. It thus reflects the affluence of an upper middle class business family which was profiting from the Clergue industrial expansion of the day. A 1914 date and initials of the stone mason builder may be found in the basement wall mortar between the sandstone pieces. It is likely this sandstone was quarried from the locks as was typical for the day. This house was purchased in 1939 by the MacIntosh family who owned it until 2004.

 

The key exterior features that embody the heritage value of 911 Wellington St. E. include:

- Variety of gently pitched roof slopes provide horizontal emphasis reflecting the Prairiestyle bungalow

- Clerestory lighting that provides light to a half story loft

- A hipped dormer and deep bracketed eaves

- Columns with abacuses and no base but adorned with modillions

- Rustic building materials including stucco, wood, brick and stone

- Original casement windows with sash and inner muntin bars on the sunroom (east side)

and on the half story loft

- Home and property have been well maintained in traditional style with little change to

the exterior

- An interior with oak trim, baseboards and flooring unchanged save for the kitchen and

bathroom

- A beautiful fireplace with brackets supporting the mantle matching those under the

eaves on the exterior

- The best example of a classical Prairie-style residence in Sault Ste. Marie distinctively

located in a prominent east-central location

- A residence which reflects the affluence of a prominent Sault business family built

during the heyday of the Clergue industrial empire" - info from the Sault Ste. Marie Municipal Heritage Committee.

 

"Sault Ste. Marie (/ˈsuː seɪnt məˈriː/ SOO-seint-ma-REE) is a city on the St. Marys River in Ontario, Canada, close to the Canada–US border. It is the seat of the Algoma District and the third largest city in Northern Ontario, after Sudbury and Thunder Bay.

 

The Ojibwe, the indigenous Anishinaabe inhabitants of the area, call this area Baawitigong, meaning "place of the rapids." They used this as a regional meeting place during whitefish season in the St. Mary's Rapids. (The anglicized form of this name, Bawating, is used in institutional and geographic names in the area.)

 

To the south, across the river, is the United States and the Michigan city of the same name. These two communities were one city until a new treaty after the War of 1812 established the border between Canada and the United States in this area at the St. Mary's River. In the 21st century, the two cities are joined by the International Bridge, which connects Interstate 75 on the Michigan side, and Huron Street (and former Ontario Secondary Highway 550B) on the Ontario side. Shipping traffic in the Great Lakes system bypasses the Saint Mary's Rapids via the American Soo Locks, the world's busiest canal in terms of tonnage that passes through it, while smaller recreational and tour boats use the Canadian Sault Ste. Marie Canal.

 

French colonists referred to the rapids on the river as Les Saults de Ste. Marie and the village name was derived from that. The rapids and cascades of the St. Mary's River descend more than 6 m (20 ft) from the level of Lake Superior to the level of the lower lakes. Hundreds of years ago, this slowed shipping traffic, requiring an overland portage of boats and cargo from one lake to the other. The entire name translates to "Saint Mary's Rapids" or "Saint Mary's Falls". The word sault is pronounced [so] in French, and /suː/ in the English pronunciation of the city name. Residents of the city are called Saultites.

 

Sault Ste. Marie is bordered to the east by the Rankin and Garden River First Nation reserves, and to the west by Prince Township. To the north, the city is bordered by an unincorporated portion of Algoma District, which includes the local services boards of Aweres, Batchawana Bay, Goulais and District, Peace Tree and Searchmont. The city's census agglomeration, including the townships of Laird, Prince and Macdonald, Meredith and Aberdeen Additional and the First Nations reserves of Garden River and Rankin, had a total population of 79,800 in 2011.

 

Native American settlements, mostly of Ojibwe-speaking peoples, existed here for more than 500 years. In the late 17th century, French Jesuit missionaries established a mission at the First Nations village. This was followed by development of a fur trading post and larger settlement, as traders, trappers and Native Americans were attracted to the community. It was considered one community and part of Canada until after the War of 1812 and settlement of the border between Canada and the US at the Ste. Mary's River. At that time, the US prohibited British traders from any longer operating in its territory, and the areas separated by the river began to develop as two communities, both named Sault Ste. Marie." - info from Wikipedia.

 

Find me on Instagram.

Built by Master 12.

Iron Man's

Martindale Hall.

Edmund Bowman Senior (1818 to 1866) arrived in SA 1838.he soon had farms at Dry Creek and Enfield. He built a Gothic mansion called Barton Vale 1854. He then acquired properties, usually in conjunction with his brothers, at Black Springs, Wanilla, Holm Hill and Martindale on the Upper Wakefield and Werocata and Pareora on the lower Wakefield as well as the Crystal Brook run in the mid north. Edmund Bowman Junior (1855 to 1921) inherited a great fortune when Edmund Senior died in 1866 but this was kept in trust until 1876. As a very wealthy young man he set about erecting new buildings. He enlarged Werocata station; he enlarged Pareora, but he is best known for building Martindale Hall which was completed in 1880 at a cost of over £30,000. He employed an English architect Ebenezer Gregg to design the mansion and Adelaide architect Edward John Woods was the supervising architect. Although built in the Italianate style which was then so popular it had features to adapt it to the climate including air ventilation from the cooler eight roomed basement for the summer and wooden shutters on the windows. Some of the stone masons were bought out from English to build the ashlar and sandstone house. Stone came from the property or a quarry a few miles away. Behind the impressive staircase in the entrance hall are the upstairs servants quarters away from sight. The “public” rooms for entertaining included a grand billiard room, sitting room and dining room. Some claim the mansion was built to attract a wife and that could be so. Extravagant parties were held here. The grounds had a boating lake by damming part of the Wakefield River and the stables and coach house are almost as grand as the house itself. It received notoriety when used for Peter Weir’s 1972 film of Picnic at Hanging Rock. Although Edmund Bowman was extravagant his extravagance was surpassed by the next owner’s son. Droughts and interest rate rises in the 1880s saw Edmund Bowman sell Martindale Hall in 1892, followed by Werocata and Pareora in 1896. He retained Holm Hill estate near Manoora. Edmund named the house after Martindale in Cumbria near their father’s birthplace. The new owner from 1892 was William Tennant Mortlock who made his fortune with leaseholds and freehold lands on Eyre Peninsula covering 2,000 square miles. In 1894 a son named John Andrew Tennant Mortlock was born in Martindale Hall. He eventually inherited it but produced no heirs. Her preferred male company to female and his housekeeper only agreed to marry him when he had terminal cancer in 1949. During his life time he had donated to and established various agricultural and research foundations. His estate was recorded as over £1.1 million pounds which was an astronomical figure at that time. His wife continued his charitable activities and the bulk of his estate was divided between the Waite Institute and the Libraries Board of South Australia. Part of his estate funded the establishment of the Mortlock Library on North Tce.

 

Built as 124086 for the US Navy and delivered to the RN in 1953. For storage at Culdrose after being displayed at various locations in 1997 and to the museum in 2000.

"Bolton Castle is a 14th-century castle located in Wensleydale, Yorkshire, England. The nearby village Castle Bolton takes its name from the castle. The castle is a Grade I listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The castle was damaged in the English Civil War, and “slighted” afterwards, but much of it survived. It has never been sold and is still in the ownership of the descendants of the Scrope family.

 

The castle was built between 1378 and 1399 by Richard, 1st Baron Scrope of Bolton, and is an example of a quadrangular castle. The licence to build it was granted in July 1379 and a contract with the mason John Lewyn was made in September 1378. Construction was reputed to cost 18,000 Marks. The 16th-century writer John Leland described 'An Astronomical Clock' in the courtyard and how smoke was conveyed from the hearth in the hall through tunnels. Bolton Castle was described by Sir Francis Knollys as having 'The highest walls of any house he had seen'.

 

In 1536 John, 8th Baron Scrope supported the Pilgrimage of Grace rebellion against the religious reforms of King Henry VIII and gave Adam Sedbar, Abbot of Jervaulx sanctuary in the castle. In consequence John Scrope had to flee to Skipton pursued by the King's men but Abbot Sedbar was caught and executed. In retribution the king ordered Bolton castle to be torched, causing extensive damage. Within a few years, some of the damage had been repaired and Sir John had regained his seat in Parliament.

 

Mary, Queen of Scots was held prisoner at Bolton for six months. The story goes that she escaped and made her way towards Leyburn only to lose her 'shawl' on the way, hence the name ('The Shawl') of the cliff edge that runs westward out of Leyburn and is a well-known spot for easy walks with excellent views.

 

After her defeat in Scotland at the Battle of Langside in 1568 she fled to England, posing a threat to the position of the Protestant Queen Elizabeth I. Mary was initially held at Carlisle Castle under the watch of Henry, 9th Baron Scrope, but Carlisle proved unsuitable and in July 1568 Mary was moved to Bolton. Her primary keeper at this location was Sir Francis Knollys who gave Mary Henry Scrope's own apartments in the South-West tower. Of her retinue of 51 knights, servants and ladies-in-waiting only 30 of her men and six ladies-in-waiting were able to stay in the castle, the rest taking lodgings nearby. Her household included cooks, grooms, hairdresser, embroiderer, apothecary, physician and surgeon. Bolton Castle was not initially suitable for housing a Queen, so tapestries, rugs and furniture were borrowed from local houses and nearby Barnard Castle in County Durham. Queen Elizabeth herself loaned some pewter vessels as well as a copper kettle.

 

Mary's keepers allowed her to wander the surrounding lands and often to go hunting. Her prime occupation while at the castle was having her hair done by her friend Mary Seton. Francis Knollys (the elder), whom Mary nicknamed 'Schoolmaster', taught her English, as she only spoke French, Latin and Scots. She even met with local "Papists" (Catholics), something for which Knollys and Scrope were severely reprimanded. In January 1569, Mary was removed from Bolton Castle for the last time, being taken to Tutbury in Staffordshire where she would spend much of the 18 years before her execution in 1587.

 

After the death in 1630 of Emanuel Scrope, 1st Earl of Sunderland, without any legitimate children, Bolton Castle was inherited by Mary the eldest of his three illegitimate daughters. She married Charles Powlett, 6th Marquess of Winchester and 1st Duke of Bolton.

 

The castle is currently owned by their descendant, Harry Algar Nigel Orde-Powlett, 8th Baron Bolton, who inherited on his father's death. His residence in 2016 was Wensley Hall, Wensley, Leyburn. Bolton Castle is run by his son and daughter-in-law, Thomas and Katie Orde-Powlett.

 

There is also a garden including a maze, herb garden, wild flower meadow, rose garden and a vineyard on the site. Falconry displays are provided to visitors during some months. The castle is now a tourist attraction and is also rented out occasionally for events such as weddings. Part of the structure is a ruin but the other section has been restored; this attraction had a 4.5 star rating in mid 2018 by the users of TripAdvisor who had visited the castle." - info from Wikipedia.

 

Summer 2019 I did a solo cycling tour across Europe through 12 countries over the course of 3 months. I began my adventure in Edinburgh, Scotland and finished in Florence, Italy cycling 8,816 km. During my trip I took 47,000 photos.

 

Now on Instagram.

 

Become a patron to my photography on Patreon.

Built: 2006

 

Estonia, Tallinn, Sadama tänav

Buildings to Watch Out for in Brisbane.

•Parliament House in the French Empire style. The architect Charles Tiffin was inspired by the Louvre Art gallery in Paris! It is open for free public inspection but only when parliament is not sitting (QLD parliament is meant to rise on 6 August). It was built in 1868. It is located on the corner of George and Alice Streets, opposite the Old Botanical Gardens. This

Photograph shows the 2 side pavilions or wings making it Palladian in style.

•Old Government House. This is now part of the QUT (Queensland University of Technology). It has recently been extensively restored and re-opened to the public over the Queens birthday long weekend in June. It too has free entry with the upstairs devoted to the art of William Robinson a gifted Queensland painter. Old Government House was built in 1862 and is one of the older buildings in Brisbane. It is a grand two storey house with arcaded loggias, classical facades and features, and two semi-circular balconies. The interior has a grand staircase. The complex is in the Old Botanical Gardens and has a café too.

•The Old Customs House. (399 Queen Street.) Pictured below with its green copper dome, classical balustrades, Corinthian columns and pilasters and triangular roof pediment etc. It is now a commercial building with a café on the river front.

 

•Brisbane City Hall. This Art Deco building built between 1920 and 1930 with classical features is dominated by the 92 metre high clock tower. The building and the clock tower are open free for public inspection during office hours. Note the tympanum frieze decoration in the triangular pediment across the façade.

 

•Albert St Uniting Church. This distinctive brick, gothic style church is across the plaza from the Town Hall. It is open on Fridays till 4 pm. The most prominent feature of the external design is the spire rising to a height of 42 metres from the street. It is capped with a handsome wrought iron final. The original organ was imported from England, and built by George Benson of Manchester. The front pipes are coloured and gilded with gold leaf.

 

•ANZAC Square War Memorial is uniquely and ideally set in peaceful surrounds and worth a visit. The Shrine of Remembrance, with its Eternal Flame, forms the focal point for the radial patterned pathways, pools and lawns. From here you get a view down to the Old Post Office which was built of local sandstone in 1872 by Mr Petrie.

 

A Very brief History of Brisbane.

Australia’s third largest city is named after Sir Thomas Brisbane, Scotsman who was governor of NSW from 1821 to 1825. The first European settlement in Queensland was a small convict colony which was established at Redcliffe in 1824. Redcliffe is a northern beach suburb of Brisbane. The settlement was soon moved in 1825 to better location on the Brisbane River in what is now the CBD of Brisbane. John Oxley suggested this change of location and also that the town be known as Brisbane after Sir Thomas Brisbane who visited the settlement in 1826. The settlement area was known as the Moreton Bay. By 1831 Moreton Bay had 1,241 people, but 86% were convicts, and almost all the rest were guards and administrators. One of the founding pioneers to settle in Brisbane was Andrew Petrie, a government clerk, who arrived in the settlement in 1837. His son later became the first mayor of Brisbane.

 

In 1842 (six years after the settlement of SA) Moreton Bay penal establishment was closed and the area opened to free settlers. Half the convicts at Moreton Bay were Irish Catholics which influenced the development of the settlement thereafter. By 1846 Moreton Bay had a population of 4,000 people, considerably less than that of Burra at the time which had over 5,000 people! In 1848 the first immigrants direct from Britain arrived, as did some Chinese. In 1849 three ship loads of Presbyterians arrived in Brisbane, the first ship being the Fortitude- hence the naming of Fortitude Valley. The colony was still far from self sufficient in terms of food production. In the mid 1850s German immigrants also started to arrive in the settlement. The only building still standing built by convict labour is the Old Windmill in Wickham Park. Most of the other convict built buildings were in the CBD and gradually demolished during phases of growth in the 19th century.

 

During the late 1840s a few grand houses were built in Brisbane like Newstead House at Hamilton, and the city began to take shape. All the central streets were named after members of Queen Victoria’s family- Adelaide, Alice, Ann, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Margaret, Mary for the streets parallel to Queen Street, and Albert, Edward, George and William for the streets perpendicular to Queen Street. In 1859 the population had grown sufficiently, to about 30,000 people for Queensland to be proclaimed a separate colony from NSW with Brisbane (about 6,000 people) as its capital city. It was now a self governing independent colony. Old Government House was built shortly after this in 1862 followed by numerous colonial government buildings. The French Empire style Parliament House opposite the old Botanical Gardens was erected in 1865 to a design by Charles Tiffin. It had perfect symmetry, mansard roof lien with dormer windows, triangular pediments above some windows, and an arcaded loggia. It is still one of the most pleasing and distinctive buildings in Brisbane. Nearby the pastoralists and wealthy built the Queensland Club in Alice Street in 1882 with classical columns, roof line pediment, balustrade and perfect symmetry, but with Italianate style bay windows. The location near parliament house is much like the situation of the Adelaide Club on North Terrace almost adjacent to the SA parliament. The wealthy and pastoralists in both states had immeasurable influence over early colonial politics. One of the other finest colonial buildings of Brisbane is the Old Customs House with the circular copper domed roof on the edge of the Brisbane River. It was erected in 1888.

 

Although Brisbane grew quickly through the following decades it was not incorporated as a city until 1902.Part of the reason for the relatively slow of growth of Brisbane, compared to Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney was that it was not the focal point of the state railway network. Queensland always had other major regional centres. The railway from Brisbane reached out to southern Queensland only- Ipswich in 1864, Toowoomba in 1867, and Charleville by 1888. There was no early push to have a railway link with the coast cities and their hinterlands. The coastal cities of Queensland were not linked by a railway until 1927 when road transport had already taken over the transport of livestock and freight. The coastal railway in Queensland was always for passenger traffic as much as freight traffic.

 

Unlike the other Australian state capitals, Brisbane City Council governs most of the metropolitan area of Brisbane. In 1925 over twenty shires and municipalities were amalgamated into the City of Brisbane. It was at this time that the landmark Brisbane city Hall was built in Art Deco style. It was opened in 1930 and members of the public can enter and walk around the inside of the building.

 

During World War Two, Brisbane had a distinctive history as Prime Minister John Curtin had the “Brisbane Line” as a controversial defense plan, whereby if there was a land invasion of Australia, the northern half of the country would be surrendered at a line just north of Brisbane! Brisbane also became the headquarters for the Americans campaign in the South Pacific with General Douglas MacArthur based there at times. In 1942 a violent clash erupted between American and Australian service personnel in Brisbane. Between 2,000 and 5,000 men were involved in the riots which spread over two days. One soldier was killed and eight injured by gun fire as well as 100s injured with black eyes, swollen faces, broken noses etc. On the second night 21 Americans were injured with 11 of them having to be hospitalised. It was locally known as The Battle of Brisbane.

 

Yet around 1 million American troops passed through Queensland between December 1941 (just after the bombing of Pearl harbour) and the end of 1945. They were here to spearhead attacks to take back the Philippines, and to prevent the Japanese from taking New Guinea.

Black American soldiers were especially unpopular in Brisbane as their landing contravened the “White Australia Policy” of the times. In response to this policy General Douglas MacArthur announced his support for the Australian government’s insistence that no more Black American troops be sent to Brisbane after 1942. The Black American units in Australia were later sent to New Guinea and New Caledonia. Black American troops in New Guinea were not allowed to visit Australia for rest and recreation leave although white American troops were allowed to visit Australia, mainly to Mackay. Resentment between American and Australian troops in Brisbane had to be contained and suppressed. Riots between troops also occurred in Townsville during the War.

 

Built on the site of a former Friendly's

 

Hornell, NY. July 2018.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like to use THIS picture in any sort of media elsewhere (such as newspaper or article), please send me a Flickrmail or send me an email at natehenderson6@gmail.com

Built by Knox Kershaw Inc. of Montgomery, AL for ballast maintenance, this KBR 925 was westbound on the Norfolk Southern in Fostoria, Ohio on Tuesday, October 24th, 2023.

Built at Derby in 1902 (rebuilt 1914), Midland Railway Compound 4-4-0 no. 1000 takes water at Harrogate on 7th October 1981 while working a private charter train.

Built in the old light gray/ old brown!

Ford Ranger Wildtrak Shooting in Cibakháza, Hungary

Built in the USA by " Lyon & Healy "

Built in 1885 by the architect Giuseppe Sacconi to commemorate italian unification.

Built 1887 and decommissioned 1968. Designated a Chicago landmark on 12/12/07.

This gray 328 is based on Jerry Builds Bricks ‘s 288 GTO. Just added style into it.

On the northwestern outskirts of the acropolis stands the theatre, still with its skene and cavea preserved, built against the hill slope. The location of the theatre resembles that of the theatres of Rhodiapolis, Oinoanda, Tralleis, Nysa, Alinda, Kibyra, Cadianda, Magnesia on the Meander, and Pergamon, in that they are all located in the city centre and lean into the slope of a hill. The seating capacity of the theatre, according to J. Schäfer (1981: 118), was 1500 people, while Y. Yılmaz (2009: 124) suggests 1700 people and B. Özdilek (2011: 427, table 1) 2400 people. It is dated to the 2nd century AD.

 

The external north wall of the two-storey skene building was used as spolia in the construction of the late period fortification wall. In the northern part of the theatre, between the retaining wall (analemma) and the Hellenistic tower, two gates were built at different times on the wall that closes the parados from the north. The steps starting from the main street extend to the southern parodos in two separate branches. However, the excavation and cleaning works have revealed that the steps that extend directly to the eastern parodos were not built at their points of contact with the theatre. Both paradoi of the cavea opening towards the northwest were constructed as open structures. In line with the plan type described by Vitruvius for Roman theatres, the theatre's cavea is semicircular, a rarity in Lycia. The height of the rows of seats ranges from 0.35 m to 0.40 m. The construction materials employed for both the cavea and the stage building were conglomerate and marble, as was the case for many other structures in the city.

 

With its twenty rows of seats, the cavea is horizontally divided into five wedges by six stairways, each containing 44 steps, with a width ranging from 0.75 m to 0.82 m. The number of rows of seats in the Phaselis theatre is the same as those of the theatres of Xanthus, Olympus, and Limyra in the Lycian Region.

Built 2002

IMO 9238337

Tonnage 35586

Flag France

Owner Brittany Ferries

 

Built in 1788 from Portland stone to replace an earlier timber framed bridge

Built with my wife and my son yesterday. Each of us built a MOC and present to each other. This lion was my built.

 

bricks from LEGO#5512: XXL Box

Built up to see how the frame looks, definatly a keeper!

1 2 ••• 44 45 47 49 50 ••• 79 80