View allAll Photos Tagged built
Built in 1947. Alamo Avenue in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan.
Taken on March 11, 2014, when a late winter snowstorm dropped an unusually heavy six inches on Kalamazoo. It was beautiful.
Built-in 1864, 126-bed hospital. Located at Fort Union National Monument near Los Vegas, New Mexico. About 40 percent of the people who used this hospital were civilians that paid 40 cents a day for treatment. There was no other hospital for 500 miles. Fort Union closed In 1891.
Used Silver Efex
The king didn't just have his palace on an island. He built this theatre with the stage on another island on the lake. The peacock was flying up to roost for the night in a tree on the island. This was the best of 5 shots I took in the second he was flying and later combined with the stage photo. PS time about 30 minutes.
Thikse Gompa or Thikse Monastery is located on top of a hill, east of Leh in Ladakh, India. It is noted for its resemblance to the Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet and is the largest gompa in central Ladakh.
Built in 1914, this cabin and woodshed were once part of a guard station administrative site. Now the place can be rented from the forest service for $30 a night. Firewood is also included. The cabin has one electrical outlet and four lights. Plus a gas cook stove and wood stove.
East Fork Cabin. Bitterroot National Forest, Montana.
Built in 1829 for the Rainhill Trials. On lone to The National Railway Museum In York from the Science Museum in London
Built 1874-1883 for the Parliament of Imperial Autria.
Designed by Theophil Hansen. Proclamation of the Republic on November 12, 1918.
Victorian shop parade with exposed ghost signage.
I can only make out, 'Direct From The Actual Makers'.
LR3674
Built as RDG 3402 in December 1974, CSX 4310 sits idled awaiting work orders for the evening in Charlottes pinoca yard. Before arriving in NC, 4310 has spent its over 30 year career stationed in numerous spots in Florida and south Georgia.
Built 1710-28 by the architect Pöppelmann in cooperation with the sculptor Permoser. Originally designed as an orangery and a setting for court festivities, it was later used for exhibitions. Most perfect example of Late Baroque architecture in Germany. Construction of the Semper Gallery 1847-55.
In the Zwinger Palace are located the Old Masters Picture Gallery, the Porcelain Collection and the Museum of Mathematics and Physics.
Built by Louis XV as a retreat from palace life and the home to one of his mistresses, it was given to Marie-Antoinette by Louis XVI, and it soon became her escape from the palace at Versailles.
♪ ♫ Love and the Hunter ~ John Lunn ♪ ♫
Built in the late 15th century on the edge of Lough Leane, in Killarney National Park, County Kerry, Ireland.
Guildford Castle was built by William the Conqueror after the battle of Hastings and was originally a Norman motte and bailey castle.
Early in the 12th century the wooden defenses were replaced by a stone castle. A polygonal shell keep, a further two story square flanking keep and an outer bailey were all added in the 1130s and the keep became both a jail and the headquarters for the county sheriff.
During the 13th century Henry III ordered improvements to be made. The great hall was decorated with paintings and colored glass windows, his apartments were painted green with gold and silver stars, he added a garden with marble columns and the bailey was extended with a set of rooms being built for his son Edward.
The castle was never involved in any battles or sieges and from the 14th century started to fall into disrepair, by 1379 everything but the Kings chamber and the keep had fallen down. The keep continued to be used as a jail until 1544 when it relocated and the gardener John Daborne was left in charge.
In 1611 King James I granted the castle to Francis Carter who removed the roof and rented out parts of the grounds for farming. In 1885 the current owner Lord Grantley sold the site to the Guildford Corporation who restored the walls and tower and opened it to the public.
In 2003 a conservation and restoration project was started on the keep which revealed the original crenellations; a new floor and roof were also constructed.
Built at the end of the 12th Century, Thoronet is one of the most remarkable Cistercian abbeys. The emotional impact of the architecture is the result of its extreme sobriety, with stone and light working in perfect harmony. It is considered one of the “3 Provençal Sisters” along with Sénanque and Silvacane abbeys.
L’abbazia di Thoronet sorge nel verde della regione del Var ed è una delle più significative abbazie costruite dall’Ordine dei Cistercensi. Fondata nel 1146 è caratterizzata dalla sobrietà dell’architettura e dalla semplicità degli spazi che conferiscono all’abbazia una bellezza austera in accordo con il senso di spiritualità voluto dai fondatori. assieme alle abbazie di Sénanque e Silvacane è considerata una delle cosidette "3 sorelle" cistercensi della Provenza.
Built in 1892 the building was donated to the Canadian County Historic Society and moved to its present location as part of a historical museum.
This Door Was Built when it was built the Cathedral Neo Gothic in the XV century .
The Style seem the style Neo Gothic of Cathedral .Also this Door is very Beautiful,in Your Style.You
see a little particular : The bell Gable with your bell very little.
Formerly The Holly Bush public house, 1867-1996, now residential.
I had a game of pool and a drink only once here in 1992. I found the landlord rude and miserable, is it any wonder that certain pub's die out when there is no welcome for new customer's ?
I love the 'Atomic/Space Age', stair rails., & Victorian parapet/facade.
LR4048 © Joe O'Malley 2020
Holland House, 92 Yundah Street, Shorncliffe in northern bayside Brisbane. Built in 1889, it's walls could tell 1000 stories.
From the Brisbane City Council Heritage Register -
Holland House reflects the appeal of Shorncliffe as a seaside resort for Brisbane residents in the nineteenth century. Built circa 1889 as a hotel, it was intended to cater to vacationers brought to Sandgate and Shorncliffe by the new railway line. It was refused licensing, however, and its proprietor was declared insolvent. From the early twentieth century it operated as a boarding house, known initially as ‘Dorset House’. The large timber residence was a popular holiday and honeymoon destination in the twentieth century before it was converted to flats. This block of land was granted to William John Loudon in September 1856. Loudon, or Louden, had operated the Lamb Inn, one of the oldest hotels in Fortitude Valley, and a hotel on the road to Sandgate. He opened a hotel in Sandgate but did not develop this site. Although large, the site did not have views to the sea, and was not particularly close to transport.
This situation changed by 1882, however. Yundah Street became a popular area for boarding houses, while the rest of Shorncliffe began to develop rapidly, leaving few areas vacant. ‘This land is in reality the only large block left in Sandgate for subdividing purposes,’ wrote sales advertisements, which claim, though exaggerated, was borne out somewhat by the increasing number of houses, shops, hotels and holiday homes built in and around the area. Loudon’s site, since purchased and sold by Arthur Wettendal, was transferred vacant to Jacob Dickinson in 1882.
Dickinson was a Fortitude Valley second-hand dealer, who appears to have purchased this site as a speculative investment property. He also had another property in Sandgate, ‘Bella Vista’, in which he resided in 1889, and evidently also hosted boarders there.
In January 1889 Dickinson applied for a licence for his Yundah Street property. He had prepared plans, which he presented to the Sandgate Board, and estimated the cost of the new property at £5,000. In April 1889, a new application was made for the property in the name of RF Daniel.
(Dickinson attempted to turn his property into a hotel in the late 1880s. He applied for a hotel licence but his application was refused on the grounds of a hotel being ‘unneeded’. Although Dickenson had claimed that he had turned away paying guests for lack of room, Sandgate already featured accommodation. The 1885 post office directory listed five hotels and eight boarding-houses, including two temperance houses for teetotallers. Other proprietors, like Patrick Murphy, had also had applications refused but constructed large residences
In spite of this response Dickinson had completed construction of the property by 1890, when he was declared insolvent.)
Holland House, built in 1876, was a popular guest house for honeymooners. The house and a tennis court stood on grounds of one and a half acres within two minutes’ walk of the beach and three minutes from the railway station. Mrs English, the proprietress, offered visitors ‘every attention and all home comforts’ as well as ‘milk and poultry from our own yards’. It was not only the promise of fresh seaside air and home cooking that attracted American servicemen to 92 Yundah Street during the second world war. At that stage Holland House operated as a brothel.
Mrs English had valuation for Holland House dropped from £240 to £180 in 1933 (depreciation in values.)
The building seems to still operate as a boarding house.
Built back in 2016 for Tim from New Elementary but I ended up being super lazy and not writing the post about the Iron Golem set - oops.
Built the ship a while ago for the DK vehicles book but finally got round to building a suitable presentation base for it.
Built in Plymouth, Devon, in 1904 by William Kelly, Bessie Ellen is one of the last surviving West Country trading ketches from a fleet that once stood at nearly 700. Bessie Ellen lived through an era when working sailing ships were an everyday sight in English ports and harbours.
Built in 1533 by the second Mughal Emperor Humayun, this fort was captured in 1540 by Sher Shah Suri. His grandson Adil Shah Suri took over the fort in 1553, but moved his capital to the East and neglected the fort. Humayun, took this chance to recapture it in 1555. Hearing this, Hemu, the Hindu General and Prime Minister of Adil Shah who was busy quelling rebellion in Bengal moved to Delhi capturing Agra, Itawah and Kanauj with relative ease, defeated Akbar's forces in Tughlaqabad on October 6, 1556 and occupied the fort. Hemu declared himself "Samrat Hem Chandra Vikramaditya" and ruled North India for a month. In November 1556 he lost his life in the Second battle of Panipat . The Mughals hung his torso in this fort to create terror among Hindus. (Wickipedia)
Built to last, a great example of British engineering - just a shame we don't build them like that anymore.
Originally built in 1935 as a single-screen cinema, the Garden Theatre was the first in Central Florida built for “talkies,” and was a gathering place for locals to watch the latest newsreels and films of the day. Constructed in the Mediterranean Revival style, the interior of the theatre was modeled after a Spanish courtyard with “Romeo & Juliet” balconies, Spanish tile roof, and a dark blue ceiling resplendent with “stars.” The theatre underwent several renovations until closing in 1963. Soon after, the interior was completely removed and the sloped floor was covered with cement to level the surface to be used by a farm supply store.
Through the tireless efforts of the Winter Garden Heritage Foundation, the restored Garden Theatre reopened in February 2008, and with over 450 events per season, has quickly become a shining star on Plant Street. The Garden Theatre brings a cultural performing arts center to Winter Garden, a town with unparalleled charm in Central Florida. This achievement is revitalizing the downtown historic district, and bringing a nostalgic sense of community back to the citizens of Winter Garden.
By restoring its architectural charm and re-introducing well-loved family programming, this treasured gem fills a cultural void in West Orange County. By presenting 4-7 events each week, a study by Americans for the Arts (the Arts and Economic Prosperity Report) shows the estimated annual economic impact of the operational theatre to be over $3 million annually.
The Garden Theatre hosts live plays, concerts, movies, and more to the residents of and visitors to the city of Winter Garden. The Garden Theatre’s Mission Statement: Inspire discovery through theatrical experiences that are innovative, impactful, and inclusive.
Built in August 1977 for SLSF, GMTX GP15-1 423 is currently working for Farmrail. After the ranks of BN and BNSF, the unit went through the locomotive dealer, LLPX before becoming part of GATX/GMTX where it was first leased to Richmond Pacific Railroad. Clinton, Oklahoma September 2020
Built in 2015, CN ET44AC 3019 leads 740 down the Catawba Lead Track with 100 loads for Plant Marshall.
Uffington Castle (built 8th or 7th century BC) lies just a few yards away from the chalk carved hill figure of the White Horse. This is the other side of the site, overlooking the rolling chalk uplands of the Berkshire Downs.
The line of small shrubs running diagonally on the right follows the Ridgeway, often called Britain's oldest road, in use for over 5000 years.
Keeping to the highest, dry ground, the route stretches across the country from the Wash in Norfolk in the east to the Dorset coast in the SW, although its exact historical course is debatable in many areas. Part of it was designated a National Trail in 1974 and stretches 87 miles (140 km), its western end is at the famous huge stone circle at Avebury World Heritage Site.
Uffington Castle (from Wikipedia);
Uffington Castle is an early Iron Age (with underlying Bronze Age) univallate hillfort in Oxfordshire, England. It covers about 3.2 ha (7.9 acres) and is surrounded by two earth banks separated by a ditch with an entrance in the western end. A second entrance in the eastern end was apparently blocked up a few centuries after it was built. The original defensive ditch was V-shaped with a small box rampart in front and a larger one behind it. Timber posts stood on the ramparts. Later the ditch was deepened and the extra material dumped on top of the ramparts to increase their size. A parapet wall of sarsen stones lined the top of the innermost rampart. It is very close to the Uffington White Horse on White Horse Hill.
Built for Round 2 of the Middle-Earth LEGO Olympics, as well as an entry to the homestead category of the Summer Joust.
The Florida State Capitol in Tallahassee, Florida, is an architecturally and historically significant building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Capitol is at the intersection of Apalachee Parkway and South Monroe Street in downtown Tallahassee, Florida.
The Historic Capitol, sometimes called "The Old Capitol," built in 1845, was threatened with demolition in the late 1970s when the new capitol building was built. Having been restored to its 1902-version in 1982, the Historic Capitol is directly behind the new Capitol building. Its restored space includes the Governor's Suite, Supreme Court, House of Representatives and Senate chambers, rotunda, and halls. Its adapted space contains a museum exhibiting the state's political history, the Florida Historic Capitol Museum, which is managed by the Florida Legislature. On April 18, 2012, the AIA's Florida Chapter placed the Historic Capitol Building (Restoration) on its list of Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places.
The New Tower houses executive and legislative offices and the chambers of the Florida Legislature (consisting of the Florida Senate and Florida House of Representatives).
The buildings are universally, though informally, known as the Old Capitol and the New Capitol; the former is sometimes called the Historic Capitol, or also, confusingly, the Florida State Capitol. The latter was its official name prior to the construction of the New Capitol in 1977, and was so called by the National Park Service even after the New Capitol was operating. Its legal name today, however, is the Florida Historic Capitol Museum. The New Capitol, as a whole, does not have a legal name. When it was planned, the Capitol Complex (which is a legal name) was going to consist of the House and Senate chambers, and the twenty-two-story office building.
Credit for the data above is given to the following website:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Capitol#Architecture_...
© All Rights Reserved - you may not use this image in any form without my prior permission.
Locomotive 4023, built in 1944, was one of 25 "Big Boy" articulated locomotives. Designed in Omaha by Otto Jabelmann and his engineering team to support the nation's entry into World War 2.
It weighs 1.25 million pounds and has a pulling power of 7,000 horsepower at 70 m.p.h..
The last run of 4023 was July 20, 1959. Eleven days later, it was placed in storage in Cheyenne, WY. It was officially retired in 1962 after logging 829,295 miles. It has been on display in Omaha since 1975.
Old Provincial Museum built in (1892-1893) now Employment Centre located on Ductworth Street in the City of St. John's on the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
The Old Provincial Museum is a large Classical Revival brick and sandstone building located at 285 Duckworth Street in downtown St. John’s, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Old Provincial Museum was designated a municipal heritage structure by the City of St. John’s because it has aesthetic, historic and cultural values.
The Old Provincial Museum has aesthetic value because it is architecturally unique in St. John’s. Built in classical revival style, the front façade of the building bears a strong resemblance to the Roman triumphal arch. Two large brick end towers flank the central sandstone arch and frieze, and each tower is topped with a copper roof dome. Each end tower has a series of stone banding, with two bands near the top, one at the middle and one at the bottom. The towers are punctuated by a single window in each and they are decorated with a stone sill and a single stone keystone above each. More remarkably, the sandstone frieze that graces the front of the building features important icons of Newfoundland’s identity and history. Manufactured in England in 1907 the stone components are 8.5m by 2.1m, and occupy pride of place over the lintel of the main doorway. Above the arch and frieze are three side by side windows and above them is a balustrade. The whole effect is a balanced and symmetrical appearance. The main door has been modernized with glass and metal, but it encompasses the entire stone arch opening with a large half circle window at the top. The archway has a keystone and it features stone supports that span the opening: one horizontal and two vertical.
The Provincial Museum is historically valuable because of its age, having been constructed in 1907 – the same year that the colony of Newfoundland was conferred dominion status. The front facade features a frieze depicting icons of Newfoundland. The central section features the Royal Coat of Arms, sculpted figures and mottos taken from the Grand Seal of Newfoundland. The scene depicts Mercury, God of Trade and Merchandise, presenting to Britannia (representing Britain) a kneeling fisherman offering a catch of newly harvested fish. Britannia also carries a shield embossed with an image of the British flag and a trident. Mercury, in keeping with his role as messenger of the gods and protector of trade and merchants, carries a caduceus, a wand entwined with serpents, capped with wings. This symbolizes commerce, travel and communication. The mottos are highly significant, “Haec tibi dona fero” (I bring you these gifts), symbolizes the wealth of the fishery resource Newfoundland provided for the British Empire at that time. “Terrae Novae” (for or of Newfoundland) indicates the museum’s role of keeping important items of Newfoundland heritage for the benefit of Newfoundlanders. Scenes showing other aspects of Newfoundland’s resource wealth are featured on either side of the central section. To the left is a section devoted to the importance to the lumber industry, while on the right is shown a mining scene.
It is also historically valuable because it was once the provincial museum. The museum opened in 1911, under the directorship of James Howley – Newfoundland’s second director of the Geological Survey. Howley died on January 1, 1918, and the museum went without a director for some time. The Museum appears to have closed in the late 1920s, as a reopening was announced for May 1928. The Museum was closed to the public in October 1930 due to significant leaks in the roof. The Commission of Government years were the darkest in the Museum’s long history, as it was totally shut down for many years and its collections dispersed. In 1946, responsibility for the Museum was transferred to the Department of Home Affairs. The Public Libraries Board moved to the lower floors of the Museum building and the top floor served as exhibit space. In 1955, “An Act respecting the Preservation of Historic Objects” assured the Museum’s provincial status and it reopened in 1957. In 1971, the entire building was made available for exhibits. In 1976 the Museum closed for major reconstruction – reopening in 1979. In 2005, the provincial museum was moved to The Rooms.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
©Copyright Notice
This photograph and all those within my photostream are protected by copyright. The photos may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without my written permission.
This is one of a row of buildings in the Lower Town in Vieux Quebec. It is hardly the oldest building in the vicinity, some of which were built in the 17th Century.
Built by EMD in April of 1980 as GP40-2 Western Pacific #3552, UP #9987 continues making money for it's current owner.
....at Swindon Works she entered service in 1928 allocated to Tyseley in Birmingham. By the end of the Second World War she had moved to the westcountry where she would remain until withdrawn in October 1960 and dispatched to Woodman's scrapyard in Barry. She was sold to the Bodmin & Wenford Railway twenty six years later and after a protracted restoration she returned to steam in 2003.
Location:- Colesloggett Halt, Bodmin
Date:- Monday 29th December 2025