View allAll Photos Tagged aljustrel
Edifício dos CTT de Aljustel.
Fotógrafo: Mário Novais (1899-1967).
Fotografia sem data.
[CFT003.3841]
Ermida de peregrinação, situada no concelho de Aljustrel, antecedida por um escadório monumental, uma arcada e um terreiro. Ao seu lado jazem as ruínas do castelo de Aljustrel que foi construído por habitantes árabes entre os séculos VIII e XII, possivelmente no local de antigo castro romanizado.Foi edificada provavelmente no século XVI/XVII. Passado um século, foi aumentado o espaço da nave pela inclusão da antiga galilé e foram construídos o arco e o escadório de acesso. A igreja possui planta composta pelos retângulos justapostos da nave e da capela-mor, sendo esta menor, com anexos também retangulares, correspondentes à sacristia e primitiva casa dos romeiros, hoje habitação particular.
Foi decretada Imóvel de Interesse Público. www.infopedia.pt/$igreja-de-nossa-senhora-do-castelo
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
Country: PORTUGAL
Operator: ALJUSTREL MINES
Item: STEAM
Class or Maker: O & K
Wheel Arrangement or Type: 2-6-0T
Number: 12
Place details: ALJUSTREL
Additional notes: Gauge 920mm
Original source material: 35mm colour slide
Photographer: John Sloane
Copyright: Photographer
Library locator reference: JSLO_1968
30937 Transport Photograph Database
1974AUG21JSLO036cs
Mértola se extiende sobre las dos riveras del Guadiana, sobre un territorio de más de 1200 Km. Cuadrados.
En época prerromana, Mértola era ya un importante eje comercial, pues contaba con el puerto interior más al norte del gran río. Hasta aquí llegaron y se instalaron las gentes y circularon los productos originarios de las zonas más lejanas del mundo mediterráneo antiguo.
Es precisamente aquí donse se cruzaban el río y las rutas que traían el pan y el aceite de oliva de las tierras arcillosas de Beja y los minerales de Aljustrel y Santo Domingo.
La combinación de todos estos factores ha proporcionado a Mértola una importancia histórica en el pasado, los monumentos y los vestigios testimoniales de ese pasado están dispersos por toda la ciudad, siempre ceñidos por la antigua muralla, de un kilómetro de longitud.
Las excavaciones arqueológicas, que se concentraron, en un primer momento, sobre la zona de la antigua ciudadela, han sido posteriormente ensanchadas a otros puntos de la ciudad.
El primer lugar ha revelado una parte del antiguo foro romano, poniendo al descubierto los vestigios de una gran galería.
En el mismo lugar, un barrio construido sobre un antiguo baptisterio cristiano, en el s. XII, estuvo habitado hasta mediados del s. XIII.
En el subsuelo del Ayuntamiento y en el Rossio do Carmo, han sido descubiertos vestigios de una casa romana y de una basílica, erigida en el s.V. En este último lugar, se han podido identificar los restos de necrópolis romanas, paleocristianas e islámica de Mértola.
Más recientemente, las excavaciones realizadas en las proximidades de la ciudad han puesto de manifiesto las ruinas de la ermita de San Sebastián (s. XVI), erigida sobre una necrópolis romana.
Esta preciosa vista panorámica está tomada desde la zona Além Rio, en la orilla opuesta del Guadiana.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
#messejana #aljustrel #alentejo #portugal
Messejana, a little town in Aljustrel, was a name carrying a vague memory of the past, maybe a sign on the old way to Algarve, but we didn’t know what to expect, just that it had ruins of an ancient castle.
We were surprised by the richness of its history and architecture and the cinematic value of the small hill where we found, at the top, the ruins of the mentioned castle, reduced to almost nothing but located in such a beautiful spot that makes every visit worth it.
A slight elevation in an otherwise plain region results in 360º open views, in which the colours and patterns of the most iconic Alentejo stand out.
On one side, the Church of Santa Maria, unexpectedly imposing in white and blue.
From the other side, the town’s cluster of white houses. And the old castle, a witness from above. The hot wind, the local shrubbery, the silence only interrupted by the buzzing insects. All conspired to create a moment of discovery of the most authentic and charming Portuguese South.
*
Messejana, uma pequena vila do Concelho de Aljustrel, era um nome que nos evocava alguma vaga menção do passado, uma placa na antiga estrada a caminho do Algarve, mas não sabíamos bem o que esperar, para além do sabermos ter umas ruínas de um antigo castelo.
Surpreendeu-nos a riqueza da história e património, e o aspecto absolutamente cinematográfico do pequeno monte onde estão as ruínas do dito castelo, reduzidas a quase nada, mas localizadas num ponto tão bonito que faz qualquer visita valer a pena.
Uma ligeira elevação numa região plana resulta em vistas de 360 graus, desimpedidas, onde as cores e padrões do Alentejo mais icónico sobressaem.
De um lado, a Igreja de Santa Maria, inesperadamente imponente e altiva em branco e azul.
Do outro, em baixo, o casario branco da vila. E o antigo castelo, testemunha sobranceira. O vento quente, a vegetação local, o silêncio apenas cortado pelo zumbir dos insectos. Tudo contribuiu para um momento de descoberta do sul mais belo.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year
Foi um lavrador da região, António Manuel, que, em Agosto de 1882, requereu ao Ministério das Obras Públicas e Minas o diploma de descoberta do jazigo do Lousal, que efectivamente foi registado em seu nome no ano seguinte. A concessão provisória foi-lhe atribuída em 1885 e, mais tarde, transmitida ao engenheiro de minas Alfredo Masson, que a manteve até 1899 (data de alvará de abandono). Guilherme Ferreira Pinto Basto foi quem obteve a nova concessão, em 1900. Novas concessões foram feitas, em 1904 (Lousal Novo) e em 1922 (Lousal n.º 2, Lousal n.º 3, Sítio do Montado e Cerro dos Arneirões). Entretanto, Guilherme Pinto Basto transmitira o direito de exploração da mina à firma Minas dos Barros, Lda., em 1910. Cinco anos mais tarde a concessão passava para a empresa Henrique Burnay & Companhia e, em 1934, para a Société Anonyme Belge des Mines d'Aljustrel. Durante dois anos a exploração das duas minas foi feita pela mesma empresa que, em 1936, passou à sociedade belga Mines et Industries S.A. a exploração do Lousal.
www.cm-grandola.pt/PT/Concelho/Patrimonio/PatrimonioArque...
Time's glory is to calm contending kings,
To unmask falsehood and bring truth to light.
William Shakespeare
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year
Fátima is a city in Portugal famous for the religious visions that took place there in 1917. The city itself has a population of 7,756 and is located in the district of Santarém in central Portugal, 187 km south of Porto and 123 km north of Lisbon. Fátima is a parish (freguesia) in the municipality of Ourém.
The name of the city (formerly a small village) comes from the Arabic name Fatima, and legend says it derives from a local Moorish princess named Fatima who, following her capture by Christian forces during the Islamic occupation of Portuguese territory, was betrothed to Gonçalo Hermigues, Count of Ourém, converted to Catholicism, and was baptised before marrying the Count in 1158. Her baptismal name was Oureana.
Fátima's claim to fame is the shrine called the Sanctuary of Fátima, built to commemorate the events of 1917 when three peasant children claimed to have seen the "Virgin of the Rosary", Our Lady of Fatima. The children actually experienced the apparitions in a pasture called the Cova da Iria near the village of Aljustrel, about a mile from Fátima.
Fátima now attracts hosts of believers from far and wide, particularly on the pilgrimage days, and the shrine has been developed on a correspondingly large scale. The large torch-light processions in the evening are particularly impressive.
The pilgrims gather in the Cova, on a huge esplanade in which is built a little chapel where the Virgin is believed to have appeared to the children. Around the esplanade are a considerable number of shops and stalls selling all kinds of religious articles.
On the far side of the esplanade rises the gigantic basilica, in neo-classical style, with a central tower 65 meters high, the construction of which was begun on 13 May 1928. It is flanked by colonnades linking it with the extensive conventual and hospital buildings. In the basilica are the tombs of two of the three seers, Francisco Marto and Jacinta Marto, who died in 1919 and 1920 respectively, and were beatified in 2000. The third seer, Lúcia dos Santos, died in 2005. Now Lúcia's tomb is also in the Basilica. (Wikipedia)
Mértola se extiende sobre las dos riveras del Guadiana, sobre un territorio de más de 1200 Km. Cuadrados.
En época preromana, Mértola era ya un importante eje comercial, pues contaba con el puerto interior más al norte del gran río. Hasta aquí llegaron y se instalaron las gentes y circularon los productos originarios de las zonas más lejanas del mundo mediterráneo antiguo.
Es precisamente aquí donse se cruzaban el río y las rutas que traían el pan y el aceite de oliva de las tierras arcillosas de Beja y los minerales de Aljustrel y Santo Domingo.
La combinación de todos estos factores ha proporcionado a Mértola una importancia histórica en el pasado, los monumentos y los vestigios testimoniales de ese pasado están dispersos por toda la ciudad, siempre ceñidos por la antiguamuralla, de un kilómetro de longitud.
Las excavaciones arqueológicas, que se concentraron, en un primer momento, sobre la zona de la antigua ciudadela, han sido posteriormente ensanchadas a otros puntos de la ciudad.
El primer lugar ha revelado una parte del antiguo foro romano, poniendo al descubierto los vestigios de una gran galería.
En el mismo lugar, un barrio construido sobre un antiguo baptisterio cristiano, en el s. XII, estuvo habitado hasta mediados del s. XIII.
En el subsuelo del Ayuntamiento y en el Rossio do Carmo, han sido descubiertos vestigios de una casa romana y de una basílica, erigida en el s.V. En este último lugar, se han podido identificar los restos de necrópolis romanas, paleocristianas e islámica de Mértola.
Más recientemente, las excavaciones realizadas en las proximidades de la ciudad han puesto de manifiesto las ruinas de la ermita de San Sebastián (s. XVI), erigida sobre una necrópolis romana.
May 8, 2007.
Stations of the Cross, (on the path to Aljustrel, and passing by Valinhos, site of the 4th appearance,
August 19, 1917).
Stations of the Cross; #4; Jesus meets his Mother.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
Foi a partir precisamente da terceira década do nosso século que o Lousal começou a ser explorado de forma mais intensa, facto a que não é estranha a importância crescente, do ponto de vista económico, das pirites cupríferas, em virtude da procura do ácido sulfúrico. A SAPEC, que em 1928 começava a laborar em Setúbal com uma fábrica de superfosfatos, pertencia ao mesmo grupo proprietário das minas e era um dos consumidores internos das pirites do Lousal, juntamente com a CUF (ainda que esta estivesse principalmente ligada ao complexo mineiro de Aljustrel).
www.cm-grandola.pt/PT/Concelho/Patrimonio/PatrimonioArque...
Luís Afonso (1965, Aljustrel)
Com formação academia em geografia (universidada de Lisboa, 1988), foi professor da disciplina e trabalhou em projectos de desenvolvimento local / regional até 1995, a partir desse ano dedicou-se exclusivamente aos cartoons, actividade que havia iniciado 10 anos antes, colaborou em vários jornais e revistas, tendo actualmente tiras diárias nos jornais a bola (barba e cabelo, desde 1990), público (bartoon, desde 1993) e jornal de negócios (Sa, desde 2003), é autor de oito livros de cartoons, sete como autor integral e outro como argumentista. Em 2012 estreou-se na ficção com o comboio das cinco, a que se seguiu o quadro da mulher sentada a olhar para o ar com cara de parva e outras histórias, ambos editados pela abysmo.
Luís Afonso (1965, Aljustrel)
With a geography academy (Universidade de Lisboa, 1988), he was professor of the discipline and worked in local / regional development projects until 1995, from that year he dedicated himself exclusively to cartoons, an activity that had started 10 years before, collaborated in several newspapers and magazines, having daily strips in the newspapers the ball (beard and hair since 1990), public (bartoon since 1993) and business newspaper (Sa, since 2003), is the author of eight books of cartoons, seven like full author and another as a screenwriter. In 2012 she made her debut in fiction with the convoy of five, followed by the picture of the woman seated looking at the air with a silly face and other stories, both edited by abysmo.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
Our Lady of Fátima (Portuguese: Nossa Senhora de Fátima) is a famous title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary as she appeared in apparitions reported by three shepherd children at Fátima in Portugal. These occurred on the 13th day of six consecutive months in 1917, starting on May 13. The three children were Lúcia dos Santos and her cousins Jacinta and Francisco Marto.
The title of Our Lady of the Rosary is also sometimes used to refer to the same apparition (although it was first used in 1208 for the reported apparition in the church of Prouille), because the children related that the apparition called herself "Lady of the Rosary". It is also common to see a combination of these titles, i.e. Our Lady of the Rosary of Fátima (Portuguese: Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátima).
The events at Fátima gained particular fame due to their elements of prophecy and eschatology, particularly with regard to possible world war and the conversion of Soviet Russia. The reported apparitions at Fátima were officially declared "worthy of belief" by the Catholic Church.
On 13 May 1917, ten year old Lúcia dos Santos and her cousins Jacinta and Francisco Marto were herding sheep at a location known as the Cova da Iria near their home village of Fátima in Portugal. Lúcia described seeing a woman "brighter than the sun, shedding rays of light clearer and stronger than a crystal ball filled with the most sparkling water and pierced by the burning rays of the sun."
Further appearances were reported to have taken place on the thirteenth day of the month in June and July. In these, the woman exhorted the children to do penance and Acts of Reparation, and to make sacrifices to save sinners. The children subsequently wore tight cords around their waists to cause themselves pain, performed self-flagellation using stinging nettles, abstained from drinking water on hot days, and performed other works of penance and mortification of the flesh. Most important, Lúcia said that the lady had asked them to pray the rosary every day, and stated that the rosary, as a frequent prayer, was the key for personal and world peace. This had particular resonance since many Portuguese men, including relatives of the visionaries, were then fighting in World War I.
According to Lúcia's account, in the course of her appearances, the woman confided to the children three secrets, now known as the Three Secrets of Fátima.
Thousands of people flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel in the following months, drawn by reports of visions and miracles. On 13 August 1917, the provincial administrator and anticlerical Freemason, Artur Santos (no relation to Lúcia Santos), believing that the events were politically disruptive, intercepted and jailed the children before they could reach the Cova da Iria that day. Prisoners held with them in the provincial jail later testified that the children, while upset, were first consoled by the inmates, and later led them in praying the rosary. The administrator interrogated the children and tried unsuccessfully to get them to divulge the contents of the secrets. In the process, he threatened the children, saying he would boil them in a pot of oil, one by one unless they confessed. The children refused, but Lúcia told him everything short of the secrets, and offered to ask the Lady for permission to tell the Administrator the secrets. That month, instead of the usual apparition in the Cova da Iria on the 13th, the children reported that they saw the Virgin Mary on 15 August, the Feast of the Assumption, at nearby Valinhos.
As early as July 1917 it was claimed that the Virgin Mary had promised a miracle for the last of her apparitions on 13 October, so that all would believe. What happened then became known as "Miracle of the Sun". A crowd believed to number approximately 70,000, including newspaper reporters and photographers, gathered at the Cova da Iria. The incessant rain had finally ceased and a thin layer of clouds cloaked the silver disc of the sun. Witnesses said later it could be looked upon without hurting the eyes. Lúcia, moved by what she said was an interior impulse, called out to the crowd to look at the sun. Witnesses later spoke of the sun appearing to change colors and rotate like a wheel. Not everyone saw the same things, and witnesses gave widely varying descriptions of the "sun's dance". The phenomenon is claimed to have been witnessed by most people in the crowd as well as people many miles away. While the crowd was staring at the sun, Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta said later they were seeing lovely images of the Holy Family, Our Lady of Sorrows with Jesus Christ, and then Our Lady of Mount Carmel. They said they saw Saint Joseph and Jesus bless the people. The children were aged 10, 9, and 7 at the time.
Sister Lucia reported seeing the Virgin Mary again in 1925 at the Dorothean convent at Pontevedra, Galicia (Spain). Sister Lúcia was transferred to another convent in Tui or Tuy, Galicia in 1928. Sister Lúcia reportedly saw Mary in private visions periodically throughout her life. Most significant was the apparition in Rianxo, Galicia, in 1931, in which she said that Jesus visited her, taught her two prayers and delivered a message to give to the church's hierarchy. In 1947, Sister Lúcia left the Dorothean order and joined the Discalced Carmelite order in a monastery in Coimbra, Portugal. Lúcia died on 13 February 2005, at the age of 97.
After her death, the Vatican, specifically Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (at that time, still head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith), ordered her cell sealed off. It is believed this was because Sister Lúcia had continued to receive more revelations and the evidence needed to be examined in the course of proceedings for her possible canonization.
Sister Lúcia's cousins, the siblings Francisco (1908–1919) and Jacinta Marto (1910–1920), were both victims of the Great Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918-20. Francisco and Jacinta were declared venerable by Pope John Paul II in a public ceremony at Fatima on 13 May 1989. Jacinta is the youngest non-martyred child ever to be beatified. In 1936 and again in 1941, Sister Lúcia claimed that the Virgin Mary had predicted the deaths of two of the children during the second apparition on 13 June 1917. Besides Lúcia's account, the testimony of Olímpia Marto (mother of the two younger children) and several others state that her children did not keep this information secret and ecstatically predicted their own deaths many times to her and to curious pilgrims. In fact, it was the first thing Jacinta told her mother when she spoke to her after the initial apparition. According to the 1941 account, on 13 June, Lúcia asked the Virgin if the three children would go to heaven when they died. She said that she heard Mary reply, "Yes, I shall take Francisco and Jacinta soon, but you will remain a little longer, since Jesus wishes you to make me known and loved on earth. He wishes also for you to establish devotion in the world to my Immaculate Heart."
Exhumed in 1935 and again in 1951, Jacinta's face was found incorrupt. Francisco's body, however, had decomposed.
Fátima is a city in Portugal famous for the religious visions that took place there in 1917. It is located in the municipality of Ourém, in the Centro Region and sub region of Medio Tejo. It is in district of Santarém and is included in the urban agglomeration of Leiria, in central Portugal, 187 km south of Porto and 123 km north of Lisbon. The name of the town (formerly a small village) comes from the Arabic name Fāţimah, and there is an unconfirmed legend that says it derives from a local Moorish princess named Fatima who, following her capture by Christian forces during the Reconquista, was converted to Catholicism, and was baptised before marrying the Count of Ourém in 1158. Fátima's claim to fame is the shrine called the Basilica, built to commemorate the events of 1917 when three peasant children claimed to have seen the "Virgin of the Rosary", Our Lady of Fátima. When the children asked for her name, she said "I am The Lady of The Rosary". The children experienced the purported Marian apparitions in a pasture called the Cova da Iria near the village of Aljustrel, about a mile from Fátima. The large torch-light processions in honor of the Virgin Mary, which is organised in the evening, are particularly impressive. The pilgrims gather in the Cova, on a huge esplanade in which is built a little chapel where the Virgin is believed to have appeared to the children.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
In 1916, on three separate occasions, Lucia Santos and her two cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, began witnessing apparitions of an angel in the region of Ourém. These visitations persisted until the 13 May 1917 when, while tending their family's sheep in Cova da Iria, they witnessed the apparition of what they later assumed was the Virgin Mary, and began doing penance and self-sacrifice to atone for sinners. Many flocked to Fátima and Aljustrel to witness these apparitions along with the children, but not before the children were jailed for being politically disruptive. These visitations culminated in the public Miracle of the Sun event, even as the apparition of Mary divulged three secrets to the children. Although the last apparition occurred on 13 October 1917, the region of Fátima continued to be a destination of pilgrims. Victims of the 1918 flu pandemic epidemic, both cousins (Francisco and Jacinta Marto) died on 4 April 1919 and 20 February 1920 (in Aljustrel and Lisbon), respectively. Along with the Three Secrets of Fátima, their stories (and that of Lucia), would be linked to religious construction that followed in Fátima. A small chapel, the Capelinha das Aparições (Chapel of the Apparitions) was begun on 28 April 1919 by local people: its construction was neither hindered or encouraged by church authorities.
On 13 May 1920, pilgrims defied government troops to install a statue of the Virgin Mary in the chapel, while the first officially celebrated mass occurred on 13 October 1921. A hostel for the sick was also begun in the same year, but the original chapel was destroyed on 6 March 1922.
The first investigations (canonical process) by the Roman Catholic Church in regards to the events at Fátima began on 3 May 1922. Meanwhile, small Chapel of the Appariations was rebuilt and functioning by 1923. It would take the next four years to see a change in attitude from the Roman Catholic church; on 26 July 1927, the Bishop of Leiria, presided over the first religious service at Cova da Iria, that included the blessing of the 11 kilometres stations of the cross on the mountain road to the site from Reguengo do Fetal. On 13 May 1928, the first foundation stone was laid in the construction of the basilica and colonnade of Fátima, a process that continued until 1954. The construction of the colonnade, by architect António Lino began in 1949 and extended to 1954. Meanwhile, on 13 October 1930, the Roman Catholic Church permitted the existence of the first cult of Nossa Senhora de Fátima (Our Lady of Fátima). Even before the completion of the complex, the mortal remains of Jacinta Marto was moved from her modest grave in Vila Nova de Ourém (where she had been buried following her death) to Fátima (12 September 1935), and later (on 1 May 1951) to the completed basilica sanctuary. Her brother's remains, were moved from the cemetery in Fátima to the basilica on 13 March 1952. An organ was also mounted that same year in the completed church, by the firm Fratelli Rufatti of Pádua. Before this period, on 13 May 1942, a large pilgrimage had already to marked the 25th anniversary of the apparitions. Two years later (on 13 May 1946), Cardinal Massella, Pontifical Legate, crowned the image of Our Lady of Fátima in the Chapel of the Apparitions, marking a complete reversal in the official posture of the Vatican See towards the events at Fátima. On 7 October 1953 the Church of the Sanctuary of Fátima was consecrated, and within a year, Pope Pius XII conceded the church the title of Basilica in his short Luce Superna document (November 1954).
On 13 May 1956, cardinal Angelo Roncalli, patriarch of Venice, and future Pope John XXIII, presided over an international pilgrimage anniversary. From this point forward, there would continue to be an active presence and influence of the patriarchy of the Vatican in the events at the Fátima. On 1 January 1960, the sacred Lausperene rite was initiated.
The sections of the organ, until this time dispersed throughout the basilica were united in one unit in 1962, in the high choir.
On 13 May 1967, Pope Paul VI visits Fátima to mark the 50th anniversary of the first apparitions.
On 19 September 1977, the civil parish was elevated to the status of town. Between 12–13 May 1982, in a pilgrimage to Fátima by Pope John Paul II, the first cornerstone of the Capela do Sagrado Lausperene was laid: the construction would continue until 1987. Its completion and consecretaion on 1 January 1987 was attributed to donations and gifts from the Austrian association Cruzada de Reparação pelo Rosário para a Paz no Mundo (Rosary Repair Crusade for World Peace). Pope John Paul II would return once more on 12–13 May 1991 to preside over the international pilgrimage anniversary. On 4 June 1997, the Portuguese Assembly of the Republic elevated the town of Fátima to the status of city. Following several years of building, on 24 August 2006, the first attempts to classify the sanctuary as a national patrimony were begun, in terms of the transitory regime, but was incomplete due to a sunset clause of 8 September 2001. The shrine attracts every year a large number of Roman Catholic pilgrims, from Portugal and all around the world. This international stature gave Fátima the title of "Shrine of the World". Every year pilgrims fill the country road that leads to the shrine with crowds that approach one million on May 13 and October 13, the significant dates of the Fátima apparitions. Overall, about four million pilgrims visit the basilica every year.
Arte de Trabalhar o Ferro
E o malho bate o ferro
e o ferro fica soando...
É a voz que vem não sei donde,
Já escutei não sei quando!
E o malho bate no ferro
e o ferro quase o incendeia…
trechos dum velho poema
em cada forja da aldeia!
A arte de trabalhar o ferro remonta a época em que os homens descobriram o metal e, compreendendo todas as suas potencialidades, foram aperfeiçoando a técnica de o trabalhar e moldar, fazendo dele um elemento imprescindível da vida quotidiana.
De facto, e embora se afirme que a arte de forjar lusitana não se equipara à de França, Espanha ou Itália, a verdade é que se olharmos atentamente depressa descobrimos marcas que atestam a criatividade, imaginação, perícia e habilidade dos nossos mestres, que com objectos repletos de simplicidade ou luxo, produziram admiráveis obras de arte!
Esta arte já era, portanto, “reconhecida” por D. Afonso Henriques que concedeu em 1145 aos “ Baronibus Bonis” de Coimbra a correcção dos foros e costumes, em que foram marcados novamente os preços das ferraduras, dos ferros de arado, das esporas, das armaduras, etc., para além do privilégio de que apenas os ferreiros que trabalhassem o ferro o poderiam vender, no intento explícito de incentivar a sua produção.
Foi, de facto, através dos monges de Cister que a arte do ferro começa a expandir-se pela Europa. Estes foram enviados por S. Bernardo, de Bolonha para Portugal, nomeadamente para os mosteiros de Alcobaça e S. João de Tarouca, onde aperfeiçoaram esta arte, que rapidamente se estende a cidades como Guimarães, Porto, Coimbra, Lisboa, Évora e Beja, onde podemos encontrar notáveis famílias de ferreiros (veja-se o caso dos Anes, de Gumarães -1337 a 1513 - ou os Fernandes de Lisboa, cujo fundador morreu em 1848).
Neste mesmo sentido, do período medieval também nos ficaram exemplares riquíssimos e que atestam a poder técnico e o apurado sentido estético que caracterizam os nossos artesãos. É de salientar, desde logo, a grade da Sé Patriarcal de Lisboa (séc. XIII); a grade da Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira, em Guimarães (séc. XV); a porta do antigo celeiro dos Bispos e do Baptistério da Sé, em Évora (séc. XV); a grade da galilé da Sé de Braga (1505-1532), etc.
Desta forma, e atestando a secularidade desta arte aferimos que a confraria dos ferreiros é uma das mais antigas em Portugal, remontando ao ano de 1229. Com efeito, em muitos documentos régios se referencia o ferro, incentivando-se, inclusivamente, a sua extracção e laboração nas terras de Aljustrel, Alandroal, Moncorvo, Penela, etc…
Por sua vez, do período manuelino há que destacar a grade da galilé de Braga, mandada executar pelo arcebispo D. Diogo de Sousa, e que acabou por marcar o estilo das reixas quinhentistas. Aqui, as curvas medievais são substituídas por varões de ferro ou cercadura de ornatos. Nas partes superiores podem observar-se uma linha de lanças ou espetos, sendo o remate trabalhado segundo os motivos presentes na pedra ou talha. Mas, é igualmente importante frisar a existência de três grades que se encontravam no mosteiro de Stª Cruz de Coimbra e que desapareceram, estando estimadas num valor excepcional.
Contudo, foi no período renascentista que as artes industriais atingem o seu apogeu. Na verdade, em certo momento, o desenvolvimento da arte do ferro foi de tal ordem, que começou a desarticular-se de outros trabalhos.
Foi, sem dúvida, a organização dos grémios de mestres que impulsionou o aperfeiçoamento das artes, tendo a arte de trabalhar o ferro perdido muito do seu valor após o enfraquecimento da acção promovida pela organização, no âmbito da formação dos mesteirais.
Com o início da quarta Dinastia as preocupações régias relativamente ao ferro mantêm-se, embora com intuitos mais práticos que artísticos… De facto, a insuficiência de material bélico e de ferro em vara e verga inquietava o rei D. João IV, que ordena em 1650 o restabelecimento das ferrarias de Tomar e de Figueiró dos Vinhos.
No decorrer dos séculos XVII e XVIII assiste-se à continuação do
“ (…) triunfo da ferraria artística. É por excelência a sua grande época, porque a técnica não cessa de progredir. Os mestres (…) duma habilidade extraordinária, eram capazes de realizar todo e qualquer conjunto, (…) de utilizarem ornamentos em folha de ferro, juntamente lindas incrustações de bronze e de latão, tornando as suas obras mais valorizadas e de superior gosto artístico”
[i]. Dir. LIMA, Fernando de C. Pires de – A Arte Popular em Portugal, vol. I, Editora Verbo, s.l., s.d., p. 194
No séc. XVIII, após o terramoto que destruiu por completo a cidade de Lisboa, os ferreiros desempenharam um papel activo de reconstrução de grades que acabaram por embelezar as varandas e sacadas dos edifícios. As ornamentações começam aqui adquirir um carácter mais leve e simples, à semelhança do período setecentista.
Contudo, em Portugal a partir do séc. XIX, como no resto da Europa, a utilização do ferro propagou-se a outros domínios, nomeadamente à arquitectura a à indústria, negligenciando-se o cariz artístico desta arte, em especial no que respeita os pequenos artefactos.
É, todavia, na segunda metade do séc. XX que o ferro fundido surge em substituição do ferro batido. O ferro fundido permite grades de desenho mais trabalhado, bordados densos e pesados. Porém, a técnica do ferro fundido era desde do séc. IV a. C. do conhecimento dos chineses.
A Arte do ferro fundido em Portalegre
Apesar de existirem registos de ferro artístico em todo o país, parece ser do consenso geral que é na região alentejana, em particular no Alto Alentejo, que a riqueza desta arte melhor se revela.
De facto, relativamente às peças encontradas nesta região, Luís Keil considera
“ (…) que se podem colocar no período mais antigo, que contudo não irá além dos meados do século XV, alguns exemplares, como a grade da sacristiada igreja do Convento de Avis, (…) Esse tipo, repete-se com variantes, nalgumas grades de Castelo de Vide, (...) KEIL, Luís – Inventário Artístico de Portalegre, Academia Nacional de Belas Artes, Lisboa, 1943, p. LIII
Na verdade, no foral dado à vila de Castelo de Vide por D. Manuel I, em 1512, faz-se referência ao ferro e formas de o trabalhar, o que evidenciava a importância que atribuía à arte de trabalhar do ferro.
No reinado de D. Sebastião, a 15 de Novembro de 1558, foi concedido ao bispo de Portalegre, D. Julião de Alva, uma carta de privilégios para exploração das ferrarias que se encontrassem em Castelo de Vide, Marvão, Nisa, Portalegre e Alegrete, derivado da necessidade de ferro que se sentia no reino.
Por outro lado, a maioria das obras desta região concentram-se nas décadas de seiscentos, o que levou o mesmo autor a considerar que “ (…) e sobretudo no século XVIII que mais se deve ter trabalhado na arte de forjar, tecer e recortar o ferro (…). IGUAL A DE CIMA
Das obras de ferro que se salientam na região podemos destacar o fogareiro do Museu de Elvas (séc. XV), as grades do altar-mor da Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Estrela e de Stª Maria de Marvão, as grades do coro do Convento de Stª Clara de Portalegre (séc. XVI), a grade da capela de S. Pedro, da Se de Portalegre, as grades das varandas do Palácio Amarelo, na mesma cidade (séc. XVII) e as grades das sacadas do edifício do “Trem”, em Elvas (1714).
A Casa Museu José Régio contém no seu espolio um grande número de utensílios domésticos como espetos, descansos ou apoios de espetos, descansos de ferros de brunir a roupa, candeias, batentes zoomórficos, etc.,
Técnicas para trabalhar o ferro
1. À mão: quando todo o trabalho é esboçado e concluído sob a acção do martelo e de outras ferramentas de mão;
2. À máquina ou moldado: quando o metal é comprimido por meio de pancadas de corpo bastante pesado, entre formas ou moldes;
3. À prensa hidráulica: quando o metal é tratado como uma substância plástica que é obrigada a adquirir a forma de determinados moldes ou formas, sob o esforço contínuo de uma pressão hidráulica;
4. A quente, na forja: a operação consiste em aquecer o ferro para de seguida o caldear, encalcar, puxar, curvar, cortar, furar, etc., dando-lhe a forma e as dimensões desejadas. É a técnica mais delicada e difícil de executar, que requer um conjunto de outras operações. A saber:
• Caldear – Operação pela qual se liga entre si dois pedaços de ferro. Para realizar esta técnica é necessário aquecer as partes a ligar a uma temperatura tal que se tornem plásticas, de modo a que pela acção da martelagem as moléculas de uma e outra parte se interpenetrem e a força de coesão as ligue entre si formando um todo contínuo. Quando o ferro está quase a caldear lança-se-lhe por cima areia branca que funde sobre a parte aquecida, cobrindo-a de uma camada isoladora que impede a oxidação e refresca um pouco a periferia, dando tempo a que na parte interna a temperatura se eleve, tornando a massa mais uniforme.
• Encalcar – Consiste em exercer um esforço de compressão, no sentido da fibra, sobre uma barra ou varão de ferro, quando se pretende que este engrosse, nalgum lugar, com prejuízo do comprimento da vara, que se vê reduzido. Nesta operação é necessário que o ferreiro aqueça o ferro no lugar onde deve engrossar, fazendo esfriar as outras partes, que não devem mudar de forma, banhando-as em água fria. De seguida, a peça é malhada até se obter a grossura desejada.
• Puxar – Contrariamente à operação anterior, esta consiste em adelgaçar o metal, em benefício do seu comprimento. Para puxar a vara deve-se dar um calor no local adequado, colocar a vara sobre o cavalete, na zona de maior diâmetro e malhá-lo.
• Curvar – Para levar a cabo esta operação podem ser utilizados diferentes processos: 1) colocar o metal bem quente sobre o cavalete e batê-lo sobre a parte de fora até atingir a curva ou ângulo desejado 2) apertar a obra entre as bocas de um torno de bancada e bater no extremo livre até atingir o resultado pretendido 3) sobre um plano traçam-se as curvas que se desejam obter, tanto da parte côncava como da convexa, de forma a ficarem tangentes ao maior número possível de furos do pano. Dispõem-se um certo número de cavilhas, formadas por pedaços de ferro, que entram nos furos do pano, entre as quais se introduz, a quente, a peça que se pretende curvar. O metal curva-se sempre no sentido da fibra. A operação termina dando ao metal um calor ao máximo grau que este possa aguentar, de modo a evitar fendas ou outros defeitos.
• Cortar – esta operação é feita a frio, com o corta-frio, ou a quente, com a talhadeira ou goiva, batendo-se sobre estas ferramentas depois de se lhes colocar o corte sobre o metal assente na parte plana do cavalete. Quando se corta a quente é necessário ir molhando a talhadeira para evitar que ela perca a têmpera.
• Furar – de acordo com as dimensões do material e do furo pretendido, esta operação é feita a quente ou a frio. O metal é colocado no cavalete, de forma a que o eixo do furo que se pretende abrir coincida com o eixo do furo do cavalete, aplicando em cima um punção sobre o qual se dão pancadas precisas. O diâmetro do punção deve ser progressivo, iniciando-se com um redondo e delgado e sucessivamente alargando com outros mais grossos, até chegar ao que tenha o diâmetro desejado.
“A história simples de um homem simples”
Entre todos os ferreiros um se destaca pela sua tenacidade e espírito inventivo: Carolino Tapadejo. A sala de estar da sua habitação transformou-se, pela mão do seu filho de igual nome, numa sala de visitas em que todos entram sem reservas. Esta peculiar sala troca as porcelanas, as madeiras e as telas pelo metal que transforma este espaço num museu vivo da arte do ferro! Quem a visita não fica indiferente a uma tão rica produção que impressiona e deslumbra pela beleza e sensibilidade estética.
Com efeito, a família do senhor Carolino Tapadejo veio para Castelo de Vide em 1492 fugida de Espanha, perpetuando, desde então, a tradição de trabalhar o ferro desde o seu avô João Batista Tapadejo, que deixou o seu legado ao seu pai Carolino Tapadejo Calado, e este aos seus sucessores.
Seu pai casou-se aos 20 anos com Rosalina Coimbra Pina, entrando nesse mesmo ano para o exército, onde permaneceu durante 9 meses exercendo a função de serralheiro. No ano seguinte regressa à sua terra repleto de ideias e com vontade de evoluir no ofício.
Em 1947, morre a sua mulher, com o nascimento do seu primeiro filho de igual nome – Carolino Tapadejo. Em 1949 casa novamente e tem mais três filhos.
Assim, investe na sua formação, compra ferramentas adequadas, e depressa a sua oficina, mesmo em frente à Casa do Morgado, “se enche” de clientes e ganha prestigio. Ao longo de 50 anos o Sr. Carolino Tapadejo teve 101 aprendizes, o que apenas comprova a arte e a mestria com que executava as suas belíssimas obras de arte.
Em 1963 foi convidado a fazer esculturas para os EUA, e em 1974 termina a magnífica fruteira em ferro forjado, que será sempre o seu ex-líbris
Acaba por falecer a 27 de Agosto de 2001 vítima do seu segundo AVC.
Neste sentido, e com o intuito de revitalizar e inovar o velho ofício, o Sr. Tapadejo publicou uma série de textos sobre a sua família e a arte do ferro. De facto, teve o melhor mestre: o seu próprio pai. E embora também ele domine a arte de o trabalhar diz com humildade e convicção que o artista é o pai e não ele!
A Mina do Lousal (ou Louzal no original) e a respectiva aldeia mineira correspondem a um antigo couto mineiro explorado desde o final do século XIX. Localiza-se na freguesia de Azinheira dos Barros e São Mamede do Sádão, concelho de Grândola, distrito de Setúbal, Portugal.
A mina tinha ligação, desde 1915, ao designado Ramal do Sado, actual Linha do Sul.
Geologia
A mina de pirites fica pouco situada no extremo noroeste da Faixa Piritosa Ibérica da designada Zona Sul Portuguesa, onde se situam igualmente as minas de Canal Caveira, Aljustrel, Neves Corvo e São Domingos e que se prolonga em Espanha para além das minas de Riotinto.
História
Embora a região tenha sido povoada desde a Idade do Cobre, como atestam os monumentos megalíticos e o Castelo Velho do Lousal, é no final do século XIX que se inicia a moderna exploração da mina.
Durante a década de 1940 a aquisição das "Mines et Industrie" e da "Minas da Caveira" por Antoine Velge, presidente da SAPEC de Setúbal, empresa de fabricação da adubos químicos, conduz ao incremento dos trabalhos mineiros.
É durante os anos 1950, sob a direcção de Frédéric Velge e Günter Strauss que esta mina de pirite se vai tornar numa das mais modernas de Portugal.
Com a crise da produção industrial de enxofre, devido à retirada gratuita do enxofre nas plataformas de petróleo, nos anos oitenta, as minas da faixa piritosa vão sucessivamente encerrando. Em 1988, foi encerrada a extracção no Lousal.
Com o encerramento da mina a aldeia entra em decadência até que, no início dos anos noventa, a Câmara Municipal de Grândola e a Fundação Frédéric Velge iniciam um programa de revitalização do Lousal (RELOUSAL). O programa tem por base a criação de uma nova espacialização territorial assente no turismo cultural, com reforço da identidade mineira, destacando-se o Museu Mineiro do Lousal e o Centro Ciência Viva do Lousal. pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_de_Lousal
Arte de Trabalhar o Ferro
E o malho bate o ferro
e o ferro fica soando...
É a voz que vem não sei donde,
Já escutei não sei quando!
E o malho bate no ferro
e o ferro quase o incendeia…
trechos dum velho poema
em cada forja da aldeia!
A arte de trabalhar o ferro remonta a época em que os homens descobriram o metal e, compreendendo todas as suas potencialidades, foram aperfeiçoando a técnica de o trabalhar e moldar, fazendo dele um elemento imprescindível da vida quotidiana.
De facto, e embora se afirme que a arte de forjar lusitana não se equipara à de França, Espanha ou Itália, a verdade é que se olharmos atentamente depressa descobrimos marcas que atestam a criatividade, imaginação, perícia e habilidade dos nossos mestres, que com objectos repletos de simplicidade ou luxo, produziram admiráveis obras de arte!
Esta arte já era, portanto, “reconhecida” por D. Afonso Henriques que concedeu em 1145 aos “ Baronibus Bonis” de Coimbra a correcção dos foros e costumes, em que foram marcados novamente os preços das ferraduras, dos ferros de arado, das esporas, das armaduras, etc., para além do privilégio de que apenas os ferreiros que trabalhassem o ferro o poderiam vender, no intento explícito de incentivar a sua produção.
Foi, de facto, através dos monges de Cister que a arte do ferro começa a expandir-se pela Europa. Estes foram enviados por S. Bernardo, de Bolonha para Portugal, nomeadamente para os mosteiros de Alcobaça e S. João de Tarouca, onde aperfeiçoaram esta arte, que rapidamente se estende a cidades como Guimarães, Porto, Coimbra, Lisboa, Évora e Beja, onde podemos encontrar notáveis famílias de ferreiros (veja-se o caso dos Anes, de Gumarães -1337 a 1513 - ou os Fernandes de Lisboa, cujo fundador morreu em 1848).
Neste mesmo sentido, do período medieval também nos ficaram exemplares riquíssimos e que atestam a poder técnico e o apurado sentido estético que caracterizam os nossos artesãos. É de salientar, desde logo, a grade da Sé Patriarcal de Lisboa (séc. XIII); a grade da Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira, em Guimarães (séc. XV); a porta do antigo celeiro dos Bispos e do Baptistério da Sé, em Évora (séc. XV); a grade da galilé da Sé de Braga (1505-1532), etc.
Desta forma, e atestando a secularidade desta arte aferimos que a confraria dos ferreiros é uma das mais antigas em Portugal, remontando ao ano de 1229. Com efeito, em muitos documentos régios se referencia o ferro, incentivando-se, inclusivamente, a sua extracção e laboração nas terras de Aljustrel, Alandroal, Moncorvo, Penela, etc…
Por sua vez, do período manuelino há que destacar a grade da galilé de Braga, mandada executar pelo arcebispo D. Diogo de Sousa, e que acabou por marcar o estilo das reixas quinhentistas. Aqui, as curvas medievais são substituídas por varões de ferro ou cercadura de ornatos. Nas partes superiores podem observar-se uma linha de lanças ou espetos, sendo o remate trabalhado segundo os motivos presentes na pedra ou talha. Mas, é igualmente importante frisar a existência de três grades que se encontravam no mosteiro de Stª Cruz de Coimbra e que desapareceram, estando estimadas num valor excepcional.
Contudo, foi no período renascentista que as artes industriais atingem o seu apogeu. Na verdade, em certo momento, o desenvolvimento da arte do ferro foi de tal ordem, que começou a desarticular-se de outros trabalhos.
Foi, sem dúvida, a organização dos grémios de mestres que impulsionou o aperfeiçoamento das artes, tendo a arte de trabalhar o ferro perdido muito do seu valor após o enfraquecimento da acção promovida pela organização, no âmbito da formação dos mesteirais.
Com o início da quarta Dinastia as preocupações régias relativamente ao ferro mantêm-se, embora com intuitos mais práticos que artísticos… De facto, a insuficiência de material bélico e de ferro em vara e verga inquietava o rei D. João IV, que ordena em 1650 o restabelecimento das ferrarias de Tomar e de Figueiró dos Vinhos.
No decorrer dos séculos XVII e XVIII assiste-se à continuação do
“ (…) triunfo da ferraria artística. É por excelência a sua grande época, porque a técnica não cessa de progredir. Os mestres (…) duma habilidade extraordinária, eram capazes de realizar todo e qualquer conjunto, (…) de utilizarem ornamentos em folha de ferro, juntamente lindas incrustações de bronze e de latão, tornando as suas obras mais valorizadas e de superior gosto artístico”
[i]. Dir. LIMA, Fernando de C. Pires de – A Arte Popular em Portugal, vol. I, Editora Verbo, s.l., s.d., p. 194
No séc. XVIII, após o terramoto que destruiu por completo a cidade de Lisboa, os ferreiros desempenharam um papel activo de reconstrução de grades que acabaram por embelezar as varandas e sacadas dos edifícios. As ornamentações começam aqui adquirir um carácter mais leve e simples, à semelhança do período setecentista.
Contudo, em Portugal a partir do séc. XIX, como no resto da Europa, a utilização do ferro propagou-se a outros domínios, nomeadamente à arquitectura a à indústria, negligenciando-se o cariz artístico desta arte, em especial no que respeita os pequenos artefactos.
É, todavia, na segunda metade do séc. XX que o ferro fundido surge em substituição do ferro batido. O ferro fundido permite grades de desenho mais trabalhado, bordados densos e pesados. Porém, a técnica do ferro fundido era desde do séc. IV a. C. do conhecimento dos chineses.