View allAll Photos Tagged TeaTree

© All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images

 

BDI Australian Beaches

 

The tanins from the Melaleuca quinquenervia fringing Wallis Lake were very evident in the water today with a hard south easterly blowing into the normally idyllic sand flats of Tiona Boatshed and the Sailing Club.

Forster was packed to the rafters today with the inaugural Elite Energy Ultimate Triathlon (2k swim, 120km bike and a 20km run) taking place many roads were partially blocked but the beautiful aquamarine colour of the water under the Wallis Lake bridge in contrast to the water colour further up the lake could not have been more noticeable.

Closest to the front of the photo is the deep clean white and deep clean green. They both have lemongrass essential oil and tea tree essential oil. Deep Clean green also has neem powder, which not only gives it texture and helps to exfoliate your skin, but is antiseptic; good for healing blemishes and evening the skin tone.

  

Made with

Aura Cacia Lemongrass, Essential Oil, CERTIFIED ORGANIC, 1/3 oz. bottle

 

Hesh Neem Herbal Powder 100g (Pack of 2)

 

If you are interested in browsing my products, visit Natural Oasis, 288 Monroe Avenue in Rochester, NY for select scents. Also join me on Facebook to be abreast of the most current events where I will be showcasing many scents for your perusal and purcase. Thank you.

Presented to PGM Wm Haines Adelaide Dist. I.O.O.F. M.U. March 26 1878.

 

DEATH OF MR. W. HAINES - A WORTHY COLONIST.

Regret will be occasioned by the an anouncement of the death of Mr. William Haines, at his residence, Tea Tree Gully, on Wednesday, after an illness extending over a fortnight. The deceased gentleman, who was popularly known as 'the King of Tea Tree Gully,' He was born at Troubridge, Wiltshire, England, on April 6, 1831, and came to South Australia in the ship William Mitchell when he was nine years old. In the early forties he was one of the paper runners connected with The Register, and has ever since been a warm supporter of

that journal. After residing in Adelaide and suburban districts for several years, he settled at Teatree Gully, and remained there for more than half a century. In 1878 he was elected to represent the District of Gumeracha in the House of Assembly, and retained the seat until 1881.

The road from Anstey's Hill to the gully, satirically known as 'Haines's Folly' or 'Haines's Perseverance,' testifies to his

persistent advocacy. Mr. Haines always took a practical interest in matters relating to the development of the district. For 34 years he filled with credit the position of clerk of the local District Council.

Mr. Haines was exceedingly popular in the Teatree Gully and Gumeracha districts, and was widely known for his philanthro

pic actions. On the occasion of his recovery from a serious illnessin October, 1901 he was presented with the following address, signed by 130 of his friends:

'We the undersigned, re dents of Teatree Gully, with a desire to mark the high esteem and respect in which you are held throughout this district, beg to request your acceptance of this address. We venture at the same time to hope that it may afford you some feeling of pleasure to know that during a long residence in the district you, by a fearless and impartial performance of every public duty, by your successful Parliamentary career, your able management of the District Council business for 27 years, and your deep interest

in all matters affecting our public and private welfare, have won both the confidence and highest regard of all classes of

the community. We tender you our sincerest congratulations on your restoration to health after the recent severe illness

with which you were afflicted, and we earnestly hope that you may long be spared to enjoy the evening of your life surrounded by the many friends whose goodwill we now express.'

For more than half a century Mr. Haines took an active interest in friendly so cieties' work. He was a P.G.M of the Manchester Unity Oddfellows, a P.D.C. of the Ancient Order of Foresters, and a P.G.M. of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows.

In November, 1901, a banquet was given in his honour by the friendly societies with which he had been connected. In the

course of his reply to the toast of 'Our Guest' he stated that he

joined a friendly society when he was 16, and was appointed auditor soon afterwards.

At the time of his death he held the position of District Trustee of the A.O.F. and was also a member of the Board of Directors of the M.U.

Mr. Haines was thrice married. He has left a widow and a son, Mr. Walter Haines, who is connected with the Savings Bank. His brother Mr. Ephraim Haines, is the only survivor of the eight members of the family who came to South Australia to

gether, comprising the father and mother and six sons. For 45 years the deceased colonist was a regular attendant at the Tea Tree Gully Baptist Church, in connection with which he also taught a class in the Sunday school.

Source: trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/56560179

Further down the track, units 2100-2101-2137 crawl through Tea Tree as the sun starts to set. 26-8-2006

The scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province. Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.

 

“One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]

 

“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]

 

“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]

 

“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]

 

“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]

 

“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]

 

“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]

 

“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]

 

“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]

 

“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]

 

“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]

 

“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]

 

“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]

 

“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]

 

“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]

 

“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]

 

“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]

 

Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.

Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.

 

“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]

 

“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]

 

“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]

 

Scented with only eucalyptus and tea tree essential oils, this soap is great for opening up your sinuses in a warm shower. Additionally, eucalyptus is both cooling and deodorizing making it perfect for bathing. Both oils are anti-viral and anti-bacterial, while eucalyptus works wonderfully as a decongestant. A small amount of apricot kernel meal has also been added to this bar to help exfoliate and smooth skin. Bar weighs at least 4 oz. 100% natural. Vegan.

 

Like all of my other soaps, this one is also rich in moisturizing oils and butters for happier, healthier skin. It's perfect for both cleansing and shaving due to its thick, creamy lather.

Captain Cook named Karioi as Woody Head. The mountain is unique in being the most northerly on the west coast with a native rainforest sequence from sea level to montane flora. It is sustained by annual rainfall of over 1.5m.

Wind, in the form of prevailing salt-laden sou’westers off the sea, significantly affects what grows where.

The same train as the previous scene, taken at that favourite location near Tea Tree. January 1987.

Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.

 

“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]

 

“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]

 

“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]

 

Pink Tea-tree, Leptospermum squarrosum, flower about 20 mm across. Royal National Park, NSW Australia, May 2013.

Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.

Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.

Myrtaceae - Australia

Tea Tree

Shown: The persistent woody seed capsules

 

"Leptospermum is a genus of about 80-86 species of plants in the myrtle family Myrtaceae. Most species are endemic to Australia, with the greatest diversity in the south of the continent; but one species extends to New Zealand, another to Malaysia, and L. recurvum is endemic to Malaysia.

 

"They are shrubs or occasionally small trees, reaching 1-8 m tall, rarely up to 20 m, with dense branching. The leaves are evergreen, alternate, simple, sharp-tipped, and small, in most species not over 1 cm long. The flowers are up to 3 cm diameter, with five white, pink or red petals." (Wikipedia)

 

Additional views:

farm3.static.flickr.com/2141/3540322991_2dbe01a02a_b.jpg

farm4.static.flickr.com/3493/3242845012_aa4d8f8f43_b.jpg

farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/3241371356_b801076398_b.jpg

 

Photographed in San Francisco Botanical Garden - San Francisco, California

Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.

Orchidaceae: Teatree orchid in dry Eucalyptus crebra habitat on eastern coast.

Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.

 

“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]

 

“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]

 

“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]

 

“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]

 

“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]

 

“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]

 

“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]

 

“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]

 

“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]

 

“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]

 

“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]

 

“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]

 

“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]

 

“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]

 

“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]

 

“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]

 

Flaky bark of a Flaky-barked Tea-tree, Leptospermum trinervium. Royal National Park, NSW Australia, January 2012.

Highlights in the history of the State. Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.

 

“[The] panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]

 

“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]

 

“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]

 

“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]

 

“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]

 

“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]

 

“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]

 

“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]

 

“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]

 

“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]

 

“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]

 

“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]

 

“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]

 

“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]

 

“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]

 

“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]

 

“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]

 

A different species of Leioproctus bee. She had quite the haul of pollen on her legs and obviously needed to refuel after all that hard work! [Upper Blue Mountains, NSW]

Sabonete facial de base vegetal para peles oleosas.

 

Com óleo de copaiba, óleo essencial de Tea Tree, Hortelã, Alecrim e Sálvia, enriquecido com manteiga de Bacuri.

 

Se quiser maiores informações, mande um e-mail para

ebacchini@terra.com.br

Three typical NZ species, Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium or Teatree), Toi toi or Toe toe (Austroderia or cutty grass) and Harakeke (Phormium tenax or flax). Gimp 2.8 Luminosity filter

Font carved 1925 in Tuscany, Italy.

 

“The sculptured font and the marble statue of St John the Baptist, to arrive shortly from Italy, is the gift of Count O'Loughlin, of Melbourne.” [Southern Cross 23 Apr 1926]

 

Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.

 

“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]

 

“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]

 

“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]

 

Shrine of St Patrick, gift of Kathleen Brewer in memory of her husband William. Windows designed by Cedar Prest 1979.

 

Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.

 

“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]

 

“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]

 

“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]

 

All manner of insects were getting in on the Leptospermum flowers action, including this Drone Fly (Eristalis tenax). Seen in bushland in Katoomba. [Upper Blue Mountains, NSW]

Morning fishing on Noosa River, Nov 1989.

No motorised boats are allowed on this part of the river. Its beautiful dark colouring is caused by the tea tree tannins.

Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.

 

“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]

 

“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]

 

“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]

 

Flight into Egypt, bas-relief created by B van Zetten 1994.

 

Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.

 

“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]

 

“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]

 

“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]

 

The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]

 

Oh, Plumeria, flower of Hawaii, how I love the way you make my heart sing, I feel swept away to another place and time, a true delight!

Jasmine, lilac, rose, lily of the valley, peach, lemon, lime, and green apple.

Kunzea rupestris, a rare species. It grows on moss, directly on Hawkesbury sandstone, (practically no soil). The habitat is exposed to full sunshine, regular drought, heavy rain and occasional frost. At this site, it grows on the moss, Campylopus bicolor.

Urze-de-jardim

Manuka Tree

 

Parque da Cidade

Póvoa de Varzim

2014

Bridal Veil Falls (Māori Waireinga) is a plunge waterfall located along the Pakoka River in the Waikato area of New Zealand. The waterfall is 55 metres high, and has over time caused the formation of a large pool at the base of the waterfall. The falls are in the 217ha Wairēinga Scenic Reserve with tawa-dominated forest.

Over time, the sandstone where the waterfall is located was worn down, leaving the hard basalt cliff behind. The water cascades from this cliff, and further erodes the sandstone at the base, forming an ever increasing deeper pool.

1 2 ••• 17 18 20 22 23 ••• 79 80