View allAll Photos Tagged TeaTree
I believe this is a Leioproctus. I saw the same (or a similar) native bee on the Persoonia chamaepitys. It was enjoying the nectar on offer from this Leptospermum tree. Found in Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW.
Font carved 1925 in Tuscany, Italy.
“The sculptured font and the marble statue of St John the Baptist, to arrive shortly from Italy, is the gift of Count O'Loughlin, of Melbourne.” [Southern Cross 23 Apr 1926]
Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.
“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]
“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]
“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]
View On Black, or View my most interesting stream ON BLACK!
I want to thank my friend Miss W.R. Chen who shares the shooting spot with my sister and me to capture the early morning light of beautiful Cilin Pond during our stay in the small township, Lugu, of central Taiwan.
I learn a rough idea of how Dongding Wulong Tea is made during our 3-day trip. Dongding Mountain in Lugu Township is located at the elevation of 600 meters to 1200 meters and the Wulong Tea made within this area is named after its location "Dongding" due to its exclusivity, that is the special weather with cloud and mist all year round and rich soil in this area. If you are interested to know more about central Taiwan, welcome to check out the official Lugu Township website!
p.s. 歡迎點閱我最新的文章「也無風雨也無晴」,或是我的部落格 光影、色彩、我,關於攝影二三事!
___________________________________________________
~麒麟潭, 南投鹿谷, 臺灣~
Cilin Pond, Lugu, Nantou, Taiwan
- ISO 50, F16, 0.3 sec, 70mm
- Canon 5D Mark II with EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L lens
- Sunrise @5.40am / Shot @ 6.39am
© copyright 2011 Hsiang Wei Chao
.|| This image may not be used for any purposes without the expressed, written permission of the photographer
Gradient layers featuring activated charcoal and tea tree essential oil. By far, my favorite facial soap!
Botanic Gardens. Melbourne
I photographed this because it is one of the largest and finest cultivated specimens of the species I have ever seen. There are doubtless taller trees in the wild and I may even have done surveys among them, but they are usually crowded together in the coastal swamp forests that are its typical (but not its only) habitat. It's a common eastern Australian tree, but with a southern limit a good way north of Melbourne, near Nowra NSW. See adjacent closeup shot of foliage.
Native bee on Tea Tree flowers. Not 100% sure but think it might be Leioproctus launcestonensis. Seen in the Blue Mountains, NSW.
Shrine of St Patrick, gift of Kathleen Brewer in memory of her husband William. Windows designed by Cedar Prest 1979.
Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.
“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]
“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]
“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]
I believe this is a Leioproctus. I saw the same (or a similar) native bee on the Persoonia chamaepitys. It was enjoying the nectar on offer from this Leptospermum tree. Found in Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW.
Myrtaceae (myrtle family) » Melaleuca leucadendron
me-luh-LOO-kuh -- having a black trunk and white branches
lew-kuh-DEN-dron -- from the Greek leukos (white) and dendron (tree)
commonly known as: cajeput, cajuput tree, fine leaf melaleuca, punk tree, swamp tea tree, tea tree, white tea tree, white wood • Marathi: कायापुटी kayaputi • Sanskrit: कायापुटी kayaputi • Tamil: கையாப்புடை kaiyapputai
References: Floristic Survey by The Institute of Science, Mumbai • www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/cajupt04.html
Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.
Fresh apple goodness. So refreshing, you will think someone just peeled a fresh apple in your house.
Cameo, McIntosh, Red Delicious, Fuji, and Granny Smith apples.
Myrtaceae (myrtle family) » Melaleuca leucadendron
me-luh-LOO-kuh -- having a black trunk and white branches
lew-kuh-DEN-dron -- from the Greek leukos (white) and dendron (tree)
commonly known as: cajeput, cajuput tree, fine leaf melaleuca, punk tree, swamp tea tree, tea tree, white tea tree, white wood • Marathi: कायापुटी kayaputi • Sanskrit: कायापुटी kayaputi • Tamil: கையாப்புடை kaiyapputai
... leaves entire, linear, lanceolate, ash colour, alternate on short foot-stalks
References: Floristic Survey by The Institute of Science, Mumbai • www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/cajupt04.html
Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.
Shrine of St Patrick, gift of Kathleen Brewer in memory of her husband William. Windows designed by Cedar Prest 1979.
Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.
“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]
“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]
“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]
Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.
Highlights in the history of the State. Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.
“[The] panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]
“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]
“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]
“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]
“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]
“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]
“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]
“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]
“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]
“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]
“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]
“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]
“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]
“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]
“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]
Tea cultivation plantation garden Tee Pflanze Munnar Kerala India - (C) Fully copyrighted. No use of any image whatsoever without written royalty agreement. No answer = no permission at all. - (C) Verwendung generell nur nach schriftl. Honorarvereinbg. Keine Antwort = keine Freigabe.
Small-leaf Tea-Tree (Gaudium parvifolium). One that was previously known under the genus Leptospermum but has undergone a recent taxon change. I love their soft pink flowers and tiny, succulent-like leaves. [Faulconbridge, Blue Mountains, NSW]
Weeping Tea-tree a species of Leptospermum. Prince Edward Park, Woronora NSW Australia, October 2011.
One of the 'paperbark' Melaleucas, this species can make a tree up to 15 m tall, with leaves slightly twisted,stiff and very prickly points.
Captain Cook named Karioi as Woody Head. The mountain is unique in being the most northerly on the west coast with a native rainforest sequence from sea level to montane flora. It is sustained by annual rainfall of over 1.5m.
Wind, in the form of prevailing salt-laden sou’westers off the sea, significantly affects what grows where.
Flaky-barked Tea-tree, Leptospermum trinervium, with flaky bark. Royal National Park, NSW Australia, November 2012.
1. Lacoste, 2. Cooking, 3. Merrell, 4. husband, 5. Wexford, 6. congrats, 7. goodbye, 8. Cranium, 9. Pencils, 10. wedding, 11. Pantene, 12. Janitor, 13. No entry, 14. Bubbles, 15. pa1mOne, 16. get well, 17. for boys, 18. Outdoor, 19. Santa Fe, 20. No Entry, 21. Pegasus, 22. Sunbeam, 23. Potties, 24. Thyssen, 25. Rolling, 26. teatree, 27. Tee Ball, 28. Esdekay, 29. Sandals, 30. Wildcat, 31. aspirin, 32. Coolers, 33. Arconas, 34. glasses, 35. Team spirit, 36. Paddock
Created with fd's Flickr Toys.
Novotel Rockford, Palm Cove, Queensland, Australia.
Litoria infrafrenata.
The white-lipped treefrog is Australia's largest native frog growing up to 14 cm. Ranging in colour from pure green to greenish-brown or pale brown, it has a brilliant white stripe that runs along its lower jaw and the side of its head. During the breeding season some have a salmon-pink coloration on their arms and legs. The tadpoles are dark brown with a single cream stripe on each side of the head, body and tail.
The white-lipped treefrog is found in north-east Queensland and Papua New Guinea. Generally found in low-lying coastal areas, it also lives in closed forests, heathland swamps, dry sclerophyll forests, teatree swamps, mangroves and in urban gardens and parks.
Gradient layers featuring activated charcoal and tea tree essential oil. By far, my favorite facial soap!
Lasioglossum (parasphecodes) in the nectar-filled centre of a Tea Tree flower. (Leptospermum sp.). Apologies for the blurriness but it was a terribly windy day! [Upper Blue Mountains, NSW]
After we planted a tubestock in 2021, we had to wait a few years before our Peach-flowered Tea Tree (Leptospermum squarrosum) put out flowers. It flowered beautifully this year from February through to the end of May. Very pleased! [Blue Mountains, NSW]
The scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province. Memorial erected in Moseley Square in South Australia’s centenary year, unveiled 27 Dec 1936. A column of Kapunda marble on a base of Murray Bridge granite with a bronze replica of the “Buffalo” above.
“One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]
“A new garden reserve on that portion of the seafront previously occupied by Luna Park, will probably be chosen as the site for the proposed pioneer memorial to be erected between the Patawalonga Creek and the jetty at the spot where Governor Hindmarsh landed from H.M.S. Buffalo.” [Glenelg Guardian 8 Apr 1936]
“Glenelg Centenary Committee is unanimous that the most suitable site for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is right opposite the entrance to the jetty.” [News 4 May 1936]
“Referring to the suggested site at Glenelg for the erection of a memorial in honor of the pioneers, Mr. W. Patterson, a former member of the Glenelg Council, said yesterday that, according to records in the archives, the real landing place was close to the western end of Anzac Highway and not at the spot recommended by the Glenelg Council — in the centre of Moseley square.” [Advertiser 19 May 1936]
“Glenelg. . . Centenary memorial. . . If they cannot find the site of the actual landing, they can make one suitable to the general public, and future travellers can make their pilgrimage to the spot and dream of it as the actual spot without anybody being a penny the worse or a penny the wiser.” [Bunyip, Gawler 22 May 1936]
“following an inspection, decided that the location for the erection of the Pioneers' Memorial should be midway, between the Town Hall and Pier Hotel in alignment with the Jetty.” [Glenelg Guardian 1 Jul 1936]
“the proposed pioneers' memorial at Glenelg. . . Alternative tenders were for marble, Murray Bridge freestone, and Teatree Gully freestone.” [Advertiser 15 Jul 1936]
“Because it was believed that freestone might fret after a long period it had been decided to use Angaston marble in the construction of the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg.” [News 4 Aug 1936]
“The memorial has been designed by Mr. G. Beaumont Smith, an Adelaide architect, and Dr. A. Grenfell Price and the Acting Director of Education (Dr. C. Fenner) have been in collaboration with the Centenary executive committee in preparing the inscriptions to be used on the column. The sketches for the allegorical panels are being done by Mr. Ivor Hele, the artist, and the modelling is to be done by Mr. Choate, instructor in modelling at the School of Arts.” [Advertiser 24 Aug 1936]
“The contract for the construction of the centenary pioneers' memorial at Glenelg has been let to Mr. A. S. Tillett, of West terrace, and the quarrying of the stone has begun. . . The monument is to take the form of a dignified column of marble and granite, surmounted by a bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, the pattern for which is being made by Mr. Dalton Hall. South Australian marble will be used for the column, with the steps and base of Murray Bridge granite.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1936]
“The monument. . . will have a frieze of eight panels. Four of these will contain portraits in bas-relief of Governor Hindmarsh, Robert Gouger, Edward Gibbon Wakefield and George Fife Angas.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“Overall height of the monument will be approximately 35 ft, or 41 ft. 3 in. from the base to the top of the ship model, which will be 8 ft. long. On the western and eastern sides of the monument will be large allegorical panels. The western one will show a representation of the scene at the proclamation of South Australia as a British province at Holdfast Bay on December 28, 1836, and a series of symbolical figures representative of highlights in the history of the State will appear on the other panel.” [Glenelg Guardian 26 Aug 1926]
“Two bronze tablets will also be placed on the memorial. One will be inscribed, To the memory of Edward Gibbon Wakefield, Robert Gouger, Robert Torrens. George Fife Angas and other founders, who surmounted almost insuperable obstacles to secure the South Australian Foundation Act of 1834, and who continued to labor ceaselessly until the Colony was formally established. . . The other will bear the words, In tribute to the first explorers of South Australia — Nuyts, Flinders, Baudin, Sturt, Barker and Light — and in grateful remembrance of the first settlers, men and women, who by faith and courage endured the hardships of pioneer settlement to lay the foundations of South Australia.” [Advertiser 7 Aug 1936]
“One of the two main panels for the pioneers' memorial to be erected at Glenelg is almost completed. It is being cut by Mr. Heinecke, at Neill and Shelton's monumental yard, near the North Road Cemetery.” [Advertiser 20 Oct 1936]
“The panels, which are each 12 ft. 6 in. by 5 ft. 6 in., are now being carved in marble by craftsmen at Enfield from the plaster models. Each panel will consist of 11 blocks of marble, which are carved separately. . . One panel portrays the reading of the proclamation of South Australia as a colony. The central figure is the secretary to Governor Hindmarsh, George Stevenson, who read the proclamation. Also in the panel are the figures of Governor Hindmarsh, Hurtle Fisher, a sailor from the Buffalo, who is preparing a flag for hoisting, and marines and pioneers. . . The other panel is symbolical of the progress of South Australia. From the top of the panel are pioneers, the first overland draft of cattle from New South Wales, Ridley's reaper, the opening of the Moonta and copper mines in South Australia, the introduction of transport on the River Murray by paddle steamer, the overland telegraph from Adelaide to 'Darwin, exploration parties, and the Federation of the States. A group at the bottom contains figures of an airman, a soldier, and others representing the youth of the State, wheat and the fruits of the earth, culture, secondary industries, sheep, and grapes.” [The Mail 7 Nov 1936]
“The bronze model of H.M.S. Buffalo, which will surmount the pioneers' memorial at Glenelg, is 8 ft. in length, and has been specially built to withstand the effects of all weather. The model, which was cast by Wheatlev and Williams, engineers, of Eliza street, Adelaide, has a main mast 4 ft. 8 in. in height, and its hull measures 5 ft. 2 in. The model was assembled by Ramsay Bros., Eliza street, Adelaide, and rigged by Mr. Dalton Hall, of Helmsdale, who was assisted by Mr. H. Crafter.” [Advertiser 10 Dec 1936]
“The decision of the authorities to hold the ceremony of unveiling the Pioneers' Memorial at Glenelg on Sunday evening, the 27th inst., instead of on Commemoration Day, is to be regretted. Owing to this being the State's Centenary, more than the usual number of old colonists will make a pilgrimage to the State's birthplace, Glenelg, on the 28th. and as most of them are direct descendants of the original pioneers this ceremony will be of greater significance to them than others: for the memorial pays tribute to their parents. Had there not been an important race meeting at Port Adelaide on the 28th it is certain that this function would not have been relegated to the Sunday evening.” [Advertiser 23 Dec 1936 Letter to Editor]
Porch.
“The double doorways of the facade, which are of carved teak, lead into a spacious vestibule with a ceiling of coffered beams, separated from the nave by a panelled screen of blackwood partly filled with cathedral glass.” [Southern Cross 23 Apr 1926]
Foundation stone 17 Mar 1856 by Fr Michael Murphy, opened 11 Jul 1858 with small sanctuary, nave of 5 bays & 2 narrow side aisles. Extensions (sanctuary, Lady Chapel, side chapel & sacristy), designed by Charles Hanson of Clifton, supervised by George Kingston, opened 11 Nov 1860. Extensions (eastern side) foundation stone 7 Nov 1886 by Bishop Reynolds using a “handsome trowel made of Silverton silver with a Burra malachite handle, chastely worked”, architect E. J. Woods, dedicated 15 Aug 1887. Extensions (western side & northern end of tower & present facade), foundation stone 21 Oct 1923 by Archbishop Spence, architect W H Bagot, opened Apr 1926. Corner stone of bell tower laid 18 Sep 1887, lower part built 1923-26, completed 1996 enabling dedication 11 Jul 1996. Finished building has 7 bays, 7 side windows, 7 doors.
“On the arrival of Dr. Murphy to take possession of the new See of Adelaide he found no ecclesiastical building in existence and was glad to secure the use of a vacant shop, formerly used by a blacksmith. In this he celebrated Mass until the school room at St. Patrick's West Terrace, was erected. . . In March, 1856, work was commenced. . . In July, 1858, the portion then complete, consisting of about 80 feet of the nave and aisles, was blessed and opened by the Very Rev. Fr. Smyth, V.G., the Bishop having died a few weeks previously, and been buried in the unfinished church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
“The structure is designed on the model of Byland Abbey Church, Yorkshire, which is in the early English style of architecture. . . The structure will consist of uncoursed stone rubble, with cut stone facings of fine freestone from Teatree Gully. The foundation stone, from the same quarry . . .” [Register 18 Mar 1856]
“The wall of the eastern aisle was taken down and rebuilt about 12 feet further out, thus giving an extra space of about 1,200 square-feet. In consequence of the increased width of the aisle through this extension the character of the roof of this portion of the building has been completely changed, and instead of being a plain lean-to, it has been broken into a number of pitched or valley roofs, with gables at the ends, the portion next to the nave wall being hipped to give light to the clerestory windows. . . The whole of the dressings, both inside and outside, are of Murray Bridge freestone. . . Mr. E. J. Woods, the architect, has superintended the work. [Register 25 Jul 1887]
“Dr. Reynolds therefore consulted while he was in England, with the famous firm, Pugin & Pugin, the greatest authorities then living on the remodelling and reconstruction of Gothic structures. They provided Dr. Reynolds with sketches of the proposed enlargement of the Cathedral, which were placed in the hands of the late Mr. E. J. Woods, who completed drawings of the alterations on the new lines. . . During the operations St. Francis Xavier's Hall was used as a church.” [Southern Cross 26 Oct 1923]
The architectural blot caused by the disproportion between the aisles is to be removed by extending the western aisle to the same width as the eastern; and the base of the tower, the front of the church, and a new choir gallery will be built The spire of the tower, the new sacristies and sanctuary, the chapter room, and other works at the rear will be left for the future.” [Southern Cross 12 Oct 1923]