View allAll Photos Tagged Resource
A lightweight simulator version of NASA's Resource Prospector undergoes a mobility test in a regolith bin at the agency's Kennedy Space center in Florida. The Resource Prospector mission aims to be the first mining expedition on another world. Operating on the moon’s poles, the robot is designed to use instruments to locate elements at a lunar polar regions, then excavate and sample resources such as hydrogen, oxygen and water. These resources could support human explores on their way to destinations such as farther into the solar system.
Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett
This resource is a schematic image showing the End Notch Flexure (ENF) test used to determine the mode II failure strength of composite materials. (Slide 2 of 6). The slides are adapted from the University of Liverpool "Advanced Composite Materials" lectures [MATS411] by Prof. W. Cantwell. Image courtesy UKCME, the University of Liverpool.
Valencia College hosts the Poinciana Community Resource Fair on May 22, 2021 in Kissimmee, Fla. Partners included Osceola County government, CareerSource, Osceola Public Schools and the Osceola Public Library.
linux virgin, 2005
Karla Grundick und Mistress Koyo
Video, 14:30 min is shown in the exhibition Dark Drives: Uneasy Energies in Technological Times
The Sexuality of Machines
is a discussion with Sergio Messina (it), Karla Grundick (de) and Julianne Pierce (uk)
Moderated by Gabriella Coleman (us)
Saturday, Feb 4, 2012, 11:00–12:30
Since the 1990s, some experiences in the queer and activist scene showed how to transfer an experimental hacker and DIY attitude from technology to the body and to the broader concept of sexuality. The hacker ideas of sharing, openness, and the hands-on imperative all became a challenge to imagine a different kind of sexuality – and pornography – beyond rigid dichotomies and patriarchal structures. With the increasing use of social media and chan boards, the reflection of sexuality and the experimentation on pornography is entering progressively into the realms of abstraction: bodies become fetishes, identity is objectified into an anonymous “sign”, and the interaction via machines is the tool of desire. However, DIY porn is becoming an aesthetics and practice open to everyone rather than a field of study among specialists – or a successful niche market within the porn business. Digital amateur porn disrupts social codes to unpredictable effects.
The discussion is part of reSource Sex, wich reflects on the interference and overlapping between sex business and ‘alternative’ porn, aiming to explore and discuss the open interzona which exists in between the often male-oriented mainstream porn, and the more narrow scene of queer and alt porn communities.
Research the history of your house: www.publications.qld.gov.au/dataset/brief-guides-at-qsa/r...
Rocklea, an industrial and residential suburb, is nine km south of central Brisbane. It was named after the Rocky Water Holes, a watercourse that rises in the Toohey Forest Park in Nathan and enters the Oxley Creek near its junction with the Brisbane Golf Course.
Despite the industrial nature of present-day Rocklea, the land around the watercourse was good farming country. Regular flooding back up the Oxley Creek watershed provided frequent additions of surface loam. Settlement was evident with the licensing of the Crown Hotel in 1862, a Primitive Methodist church (1863), a post office (1866) and the Rocky Water Holes (later Rocklea) Hotel on Ipswich Road (1874).
The name Rocklea officially adopted in 1884 for the railway station, derived from the water holes and softened with 'lea', the old English word describing a meadow or piece of arable land. Rocklea became a dairying district, and there had been experimental silk production in the mid-1870s. The village, with two hotels, a school of arts, stores and a shire hall was clustered around Fairfield Road where it crosses the water holes.
The South Coast railway (1885) passed through Rocklea, and its opening coincided with the building of the Rocklea primary school. The railway enabled the Brisbane Golf Club to have a course laid out in 1904 at the northern edge of Rocklea within easy walking distance of the Yeerongpilly railway station.
The local community, however, passed up the golf club, preferring the showground opened by the Rocklea Agriculture and Industrial Association (1917), a short way from the Rocklea railway station. A dog-coursing ground was near the showground. The Yeerongpilly shire offices became a Masonic temple after the shire was absorbed by Greater Brisbane Council.
The railway did not bring many visitors to Rocklea's attractions, but in 1926 it was a factor in Evans Deakin building an engineering workshop. Fifteen years later there were munitions and armaments works at Rocklea, which in peacetime served as a basis for Brisbane's emerging manufacturing industry. Military bases were converted to housing and there was also a War Housing estate. From 10,000 dairy cows before World War II, only two dairy farms remained in 1965. But there were 2000 manufacturing workers employed by over 100 firms in the old munitions area.
Secondary industry and transport facilities marked out Rocklea's postwar development, but it did not entirely throw off its connection with primary industry. The State animal husbandry research station occupied a substantial area in the west of Rocklea until 2000. Part of this land along the creek has subsequently been turned into Oxley Creek Common, providing recreational green space for picnics, walking and canoeing, together with an environment centre. On the other side of Sherwood Road there is the Brisbane fruit and vegetable markets, transferred to there in 1964 when the Roma Street facility in Brisbane was closed. The road system, unable to cope with the market traffic, was widened, obliterating most of the old water holes village.
Church attendances have tended to be in neighbouring suburbs, and the sole remaining place of worship is the Russian Orthodox Church (1956). The annual Rocklea show continues at the showground and celebrated 91 years in May 2013. Harness racing also used the venue until folding in 2009. There are public reserves and a walking trail east of the old showground.
Rocklea was Brisbane’s most flooded suburb in January 2011, as it was in 1974 and in 1893 when there was only a village and farms. It has come to be expected that open spaces along Rocky Waterholes, Stable Swamp and Oxley Creeks will go under with serious floods, together with the markets and many industrial sites. That leaves the residential areas from the railway line to Granard Road. In January 2011 very little of these were missed, and were the only part of Rocklea that stayed dry. Both the Australia Post mail centre and several freight tracking centres were rendered inoperable, delaying mail to most of Queensland and the dispatch of transport for rural re-supply in flooded areas.
Rocklea history: Queensland Places – Rocklea
This area is fantastic for good views and relaxing with sculptures and beautiful landscaping all around. In all directions are tall buildings that are icons for Sacramento's skyline. I always enjoy visiting this park area finding improved compositions. This time of year the fall colors are filling the scene with beauty.
A student resource booklet and guide to gender-based violence prevention and response is held at Help & Shelter in Georgetown, Guyana on Dec. 11, 2017. Photo Credit: Joshua Yospyn
Research the history of your house: www.publications.qld.gov.au/dataset/brief-guides-at-qsa/r...
Taringa, a residential suburb, is five km south-west of central Brisbane. It is on the Ipswich railway line and Moggill Road, and the Western Freeway is a short distance beyond it. The suburb's name, possibly bestowed by Europeans, is thought to have been derived from an Aboriginal word describing stones.
Taringa was a place on the railway line from Brisbane to Indooroopilly and Ipswich (1875), and land sales occurred around the railway station as soon as trains started running. They were situated among rural acreages, and Taringa was but a fraction of the Indooroopilly local government area (1880) that extended from Upper Brookfield to St Lucia and as far south as Priors Pocket. The local school for Taringa's farming families was Ironside.
In 1884 the Taringa post office was opened and six years later the Taringa local government division was created by severance from Indooroopilly. It went from St Lucia to Mt Coot-tha. The divisional council met at Taringa which had a row of shops along Moggill Road near the station - a grocer, draper, baker, two butchers, a bootmaker and a blacksmith according to the Post Office directory (1901). The primary school, squeezed between Moggill Road and Morrow Street, opened in 1900. Taringa became steadily built up and in 1919 the Fire Brigade Act was extended to it for property protection. Urbanisation was rewarded with incorporation into Greater Brisbane Council in 1925.
During the 1930s the university at St Lucia was built, positioning Taringa as a potential dormitory suburb for the postwar transfer of higher learning from the city to the St Lucia campus. Some modern interwar housing was built on Taringa's slopes, a notable example being a heritage-listed two storey brick residence with a railed balcony in McCaul Street (the Fulton House, 1940). In addition to new houses Moggill Road had a substantial shopping centre with the Picture Palace cinema, the Alliance Hall and the Anglican and Methodist churches. The Fulton House had been built at an outlying location, Taringa East, and a post office was opened at the nearby fiveways intersection in 1953.
Moggill Road became increasingly busy as the route to Indooroopilly and Kenmore. The Western Freeway-Centenary Highway (1969) relieved some of the traffic pressure, but a bypass route in the heart of Taringa was also opened that year in anticipation of Indooroopilly Shoppingtown (1970). It may have been the lesser of two misfortunes, as it positioned regional shopping just outside Taringa rather than inside it.
A minor anti-modern housing trend emerged with Rex Addison's new houses in Taringa Parade and McCaul Street (1975, 1999), drawing on the timber Queenslander tradition. Less resplendent examples also captured the attention of suburbanites, being close to shopping, public transport, the city, the university and Silvan Slopes. The primary school, however, was too close to the bypass, and closed in 1996. It was on a multi-million dollar site which was redeveloped for residential units. Other land parcels along Moggill Road went for $4 million plus for development sites, including a former council depot (2003, 2004).
Taringa East gained a small Fiveways drive-in shopping centre in 1990, where there is a supermarket and local stores. Moggill Road has retained something of its shopping strip.
Taringa history: Queensland Places – Taringa
linux virgin, 2005
Karla Grundick und Mistress Koyo
Video, 14:30 min is shown in the exhibition Dark Drives: Uneasy Energies in Technological Times
The Sexuality of Machines
is a discussion with Sergio Messina (it), Karla Grundick (de) and Julianne Pierce (uk)
Moderated by Gabriella Coleman (us)
Saturday, Feb 4, 2012, 11:00–12:30
Since the 1990s, some experiences in the queer and activist scene showed how to transfer an experimental hacker and DIY attitude from technology to the body and to the broader concept of sexuality. The hacker ideas of sharing, openness, and the hands-on imperative all became a challenge to imagine a different kind of sexuality – and pornography – beyond rigid dichotomies and patriarchal structures. With the increasing use of social media and chan boards, the reflection of sexuality and the experimentation on pornography is entering progressively into the realms of abstraction: bodies become fetishes, identity is objectified into an anonymous “sign”, and the interaction via machines is the tool of desire. However, DIY porn is becoming an aesthetics and practice open to everyone rather than a field of study among specialists – or a successful niche market within the porn business. Digital amateur porn disrupts social codes to unpredictable effects.
The discussion is part of reSource Sex, wich reflects on the interference and overlapping between sex business and ‘alternative’ porn, aiming to explore and discuss the open interzona which exists in between the often male-oriented mainstream porn, and the more narrow scene of queer and alt porn communities.
Law.Gov lawn signs have arrived. These can be used outside of Law.Gov workshops as well as in your booth at a trade show or convention.
Jamaica Business Resource Center, 90-33 160th Street, Jamaica, Queens, New York City, New York, United States
La Casina is a rare surviving example of Streamlined Moderne design in New York City. The metal and stucco facade of this former nightclub and restaurant structure was constructed c. 1933, during the period of greatest popularity for the streamlined style. The building, erected in the heart of Jamaica’s commercial center, is representative of the many entertainment facilities built in Jamaica during the first decades of the twentieth century as this area developed into the commercial and entertainment hub for Queens County and nearby sections of Long Island. Although altered over the years, the La Casina Building has been beautifully restored and is again one of the most distinctive structures in Jamaica’s business district.
Development of Jamaica
Jamaica, one of the oldest settlements within the boundaries of New York City, developed into the leading commercial and entertainment center of Queens County. The Dutch purchased land in Jamaica from the Jameco (also spelled Jemeco) Indians in 1655. The following year, Governor Peter Stuyvesant granted a charter to the town, originally known as Rusdorp.
Following the transfer of power from the Dutch to the English in 1664, Rusdorp was renamed Jamaica, after the original Indian inhabitants of the region. Queens County (incorporating present-day Queens and Nassau Counties) was chartered in 1683. The English established Jamaica as the governmental center of Queens County, with a court, county clerk’s office, and parish church (Grace Church; the present structure, dating from 1861-62, is a designated New York Landmark). Outside the town center, Jamaica was largely an area of farm fields and grazing land for cattle. The rural village was officially incorporated by New York State in 1814.
Jamaica’s central location in Queens County and the extensive transportation network that developed in the town during the nineteenth century, resulted in the transformation of the community into the major commercial center for Queens County and much of eastern Long Island. It was the arrival of the railroads that began this transformation. The roads and rail lines connecting Jamaica with other sections of Queens County, with Brooklyn to the west, eastern Long Island, and ferries to New York City had a tremendous impact. Jamaica’s farmland was soon being subdivided into streets and building lots, and new homes were erected.
By the turn of the century, Jamaica’s importance as a commercial area became evident in the impressive buildings beginning to appear on Jamaica Avenue, most notably the Beaux-Arts Jamaica Savings Bank Building (Hough & Deuell, 1897-98), 161-02 Jamaica Avenue. After Jamaica was incorporated into the borough of Queens and became a part of New York City on January 1, 1898, additional transportation improvements brought increasing numbers of people. As a result, the population of Jamaica quadrupled between 1900 and 1920.
It was during the 1920s, when the major mass transit links were in place, and during a period when private automobile ownership was growing at an extraordinary rate, that Jamaica experienced its major expansion as a commercial and entertainment center. By 1925, Jamaica Avenue between 160th Street and 168th Street had the highest assessed valuation in Queens County.
During the 1920s and early 1930s, many small- scale commercial buildings were erected in Jamaica, as well as several major office and commercial structures, including the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce Building (George W. Conable, 1928-29) on 161st Street; the Title Guarantee Company Building (Dennison & Hirons, 1929), 90-04 161st Street; and the J. Kurtz & Sons Store (Allmendinger & Schlendorf, 1931; a designated New York City Landmark) on Jamaica Avenue. In addition, Jamaica developed into a significant entertainment center. By the mid-1930s, there were at least eight movie theaters on or just off of Jamaica Avenue, and there were over sixty restaurants, bars, and clubs, ranging from small ethnic taverns to elegant restaurants. It was within this bustling commercial and entertainment setting that La Casina opened.
The Nightclub:
A Brief Examination of Its History and Design
During the late 1920s and 1930s, the nightclub became a prominent and romantic symbol of New York’s nightlife. While partially based on the reality of the city’s exclusive clubs and restaurants, the nightclub image was largely a fantasy based on Hollywood’s interpretation of these elegant establishments. Nightclubs and restaurants with live shows began to appear in New York City in the late 1920s as the enforcement of Prohibition ebbed. With the end of Prohibition in 1933, nightclubs proliferated." As nightclubs and restaurants with live shows grew in popularity, their designs became increasingly elegant. Clubs and related restaurants such as the Central Park Casino, the Persian Room, the Rainbow Room, El Morocco, the 21 Club, and the Stork, catered to an exclusive clientele. While most New Yorkers could not afford to patronize these establishments, they were well known through newspaper gossip columns, magazines, and other popular media outlets.
Movies such as Broadway (1929), Puttin’ on the Ritz (1930), Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935), Broadway Melody of 1936 (1935), and Swing Time (1936) created a romantic image of nightclubs with Modeme and Art Deco decor incorporating streamlined walls and ceilings, glistening mirrored floors, and elegantly appointed revelers. Perhaps in homage to popular Latin dances, many of these clubs, both real and cinematic, were given Spanish- sounding names.
Although modest in scale, La Casina was designed to fit the image of the up-to-date night spot. The club and restaurant was provided with a Latin name and its streamlined design echoes, in miniature, the elegant clubs enjoyed vicariously by patrons as they viewed movies at their local movie palaces.
La Casina: The Site and the Design of the Building
La Casina is located on 160th Street between Jamaica Avenue and 90th Avenue. Located only a few blocks from the center of Jamaica, 160th Street was initially developed with modest frame buildings, most erected as residences but later converted for commercial use. In 1907, the Queens Borough Real Estate Exchange erected a neo-Classical style brick and limestone office building designed by Tuthill & Higgins at 90-33 160th Street.
The building was purchased in 1918 by Arnold Behrer, Jr., and Clarence Behrer. On November 1, 1932, the Behrers leased the site to Bernard Levy and La Casino, Inc., for a period of four years (until 1936). According to the lease agreement, the building was "to be used and occupied only as a restaurant, cabaret, beer garden, casino and dance hall." The rent rose from $1,800 a year the first year to $3,000 during the fourth year. All alterations made to the building by the lessee had to be approved by the owner.
The La Casino Supper Club opened in 1933. It first appeared in the Queens telephone directory for winter 1933-34. Apparently, the club was only open for a short time since it did not appear in the telephone directory for winter 1934-35. The club reopened by May 1936. Telephone directory listings continued to call the establishment the La Casino Restaurant. However, the weekly La Casina Journal, published by the establishment, spelled the name with an "a" and also referred to the La Casina Restaurant and Supper Club in its text. The work undertaken to create the present streamlined design was an alteration of the original building, but no surviving alteration application has been located that specifically notes the construction of a new front. Several permits for small alterations were issued in 1933, and one of these may have included the new facade.
La Casina was designed in the Streamlined Modeme style which became popular in America in the 1930s.' Although it initially appeared on residential buildings, the Streamlined Moderne style was soon adapted for commercial buildings since the dramatic massing and dynamic stripped forms drew attention and, therefore, brought people to the buildings. The style was popular for relatively small-scale public buildings, especially those that were erected for businesses that relied on a large paying clientele.
These businesses included hotels, such as those in Miami Beach; theaters, such as the Pan Pacific Auditorium in Hollywood; movie theaters, notably those designed by S. Charles Lee; bus depots, such as the Greyhound Bus Terminal in Washington, D.C.; and roadside structures such as auto showrooms, motels, and diners. Historian Martin Greif characterized the Streamlined Moderne (also sometimes referred to as Depression Modem) as "an art stripped bare of all ornamentation. . . . Ideally, the Depression Modern style was spare . .
. without a single detail that could be called extraneous, without any embellishment, without a line that did not seem inevitable."
With its smooth planes of stucco, dynamic ziggurat massing, sweeping bands of metal, and its lack of applied ornamentation, the La Casina building fits Greifs description of the ideal streamlined structure. The streamlined mode was an appropriate choice for La Casina, not only providing an up-to-date image for the establishment, but also creating a noticeable form for the small midblock structure, one that would attract attention from busy Jamaica Avenue. This was heightened by the use of a bright projecting vertical neon sign announcing the nightclub’s presence.
La Casina: The Restaurant and Nightclub
La Casina offered dining, dancing, and entertainment. According to the La Casina Journal, La Casina offered three shows a night performed by the La Casina Adorables and the La Casina Swing Melo-Dears. The club also featured special guests such as Maureen Rio, the Broadway star of Earl Carroll’s Sketch Book? There was no cover charge and the club offered free parking.
The Journal noted such special events as "Celebrity Night"; "Democratic Night" and "Republican Night" (at the latter two evenings guests were to meet primary candidates); and "Bowery Night," where guests were to dress in old clothes, men were to arrive unshaven, and all were to be entertained by Diamond L’il, Cuspidor Carrie, Fishface Fanny, Gashouse Gertie, Willie the Gonof, Little Annie Rooney, Champagne Lil, and Limehouse Lou.
Later History
La Casina (or a facility with a similar name) occupied the building until about 1938; the last entry in the telephone directory is for winter 1937-38. In 1940, Arnold Behrer, Jr., lost the property in a legal proceeding to the mortgagor, the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. A tax photograph taken by New York City in 1940 shows "For Rent" signs in the picture windows of the club.
In 1942, the building was sold to the Church of God of Greater New York, Inc., although it does not appear to have ever been used as a church (the Church of God was headquartered on 224th Street). The use, if any, of the building in the early 1940s is not known.
In 1946, the former nightclub was sold to Polly Foundations, Inc., which converted the building into a factory that manufactured Ladyform bras. In 1952, the building was purchased by the Ellen Howard Corporation which manufactured Roxanne swim suits in the building until c.1987.
At some point, probably in the 1960s or 1970s, the galvanized-iron cladding of the ziggurat was covered in aluminum siding. The building was vacated in the late 1980s and deteriorated. In 1989, the Greater Jamaica Development Corporation acquired the former home of La Casina. A restoration was undertaken in 1994-95 under the guidance of the architectural firm of Li-Saltzman.
The restoration entailed the removal of the aluminum siding, the replacement of the deteriorated galvanized iron with aluminum that matched the form of the original, the restoration of the stucco at the lower level to its original colors, the removal of historically and stylistically inappropriate glass block windows and their replacement with historically accurate plate-glass windows, and the restoration of the tile flanking the entrance and of the original doors and glass entrance surround. The original vertical sign was conserved and encased within a new sign. The building now houses the Jamaica Business Resource Center.
Description
La Casina is a one-story symmetrical structure with a two-tiered streamlined facade in the form of a stepped pyramid or ziggurat. The base of the pyramid is set parallel to the sidewalk. This section of the building is faced with stucco.
The stuccoed portion of the facade is divided into a lower section that is painted gray and an upper section painted coral (paint studies determined the historical accuracy of these colors). The base is punctuated by a central entrance that is set back from the sidewalk within a five-stepped enframement clad in glazed black tiles at the lower section; the upper section is coral-colored stucco.
The entrance contains its original wood and glass double doors with very large vertically-placed bronze handles supported by silver-metal upper and lower stepped brackets. The doors are set within a frame of opaque black glass. The entrance bay is flanked by rectangular windows.
During the restoration, glass blocks that were crudely installed, probably when the building became a factory in the 1940s, were removed and replaced with historically accurate undivided plate glass. In addition, a shallow ramp for handicapped access has been added in front of the building.
Directly above the entrance is a curving streamlined frontispiece. It is divided into six wide horizontal bands with seven raised narrower bands covering the joints. To either side of this frontispiece is a six-layer stepped ziggurat. The frontispiece and flanking ziggurats were originally clad in smooth galvanized sheet metal attached to a wooden frame. The metal may originally have been painted gray. During the restoration, the deteriorated galvanized metal was replaced with shiny bands of aluminum.
Attached to the Building is the original vertical neon sign. This sign, which retains the words "La Casina" (an "o" for "casino" overlaps the "a"), "Ladyform Bras," "Swim Suits," and "Roxanne Swim Suits,” has been encased in a new aluminum sleeve with the "JBRC" initials of the Jamaica Business Resource Center in neon.
- From the 1996 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report
Watch Me Work
Performance by Liad Hussein Kantorowicz and Kate Erhardt
Saturday, Feb 4, 13:30 – 15:30, K1
Minimum age for admission 18 years!
Liad works as an erotic performer at an Israeli sex chat site. The usage of cameras, computers and projectors enables the viewers to peer into the live exchange of cyber sex work between sex worker and client, and compare between the sex worker's actual experience and what is projected to the client. The performance seeks to de-exotify sex work, opting for a realistic perspective, and investigates the discrepancy between the hyped discussion about sex work as compared to the actual sex work experience.
The performance will be held in the context of the panel Commercialising Eros followed by a discussion with Jacob Appelbaum, Zach Blas, Liad Hussein Kantorowicz and Aliya Rakhmetova, and is moderated by Gaia Novati.
The performance is part of reSource Sex, which reflects on the interference and overlapping between sex business and ‘alternative’ porn, aiming to explore and discuss the open interzona which exists in between the often male-oriented mainstream porn, and the more narrow scene of queer and alt porn communities.
This was from inside the train literally inbetween where the wheels are. I've never drawn like this before with a little light on my head, good fun.
twitter.com/DarkMortadelle/status/1530028591521611777
This resource posted is for digital art and design, personal and commercial projects, digital learning, and more. All design content is from external sources from around the web.
RESOURCE
Woolwich
MMSI 235078638
Tug - 22m X 8m
Heading up the river Thames have picked the containers up from Northumberland Wharf.
A lightweight simulator version of NASA's Resource Prospector undergoes a mobility test in a regolith bin at the agency's Kennedy Space center in Florida. The Resource Prospector mission aims to be the first mining expedition on another world. Operating on the moon’s poles, the robot is designed to use instruments to locate elements at a lunar polar regions, then excavate and sample resources such as hydrogen, oxygen and water. These resources could support human explores on their way to destinations such as farther into the solar system.
Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
Wendy Chance, Evins Personnel.
Ms. Fawzia Koofi, Chairperson of the Women and Human Rights Commission of Parliament, Ms. Ingibjörg Sólrún Gísladóttir, Country Director for UN Women, and Chargé d'affaires Ms. Shelley Whiting visit the Resource Centre for Women Parliamentarians (RCWP). Canada supported the establishment of the RCWP within Afghanistan’s Parliament through the "Women as Decision Makers Project," implemented by UN Women and its local partners. The Centre aims to support women in politics; facilitate networking among Afghan parliamentarians, Provincial Council members, and civil society actors; and integrate gender in the work carried out by both men and women in politics. The Centre provides a space where women political leaders can access resources, such as computer services and printing facilities, a library, and rooms for training or meeting opportunities.
Mme Fawzia Koofi, Présidente de la commission parlementaire des droits de la femme et des droits de la personne, Mme Ingibjörg Sólrún Gísladóttir, Directrice nationale d'ONU Femmes, et la Chargé d'affaires Mme Shelley Whiting visitent le Centre de ressources pour les femmes parlementaires (CRFP). Le Canada a appuyé la création du CRFP au sein du Parlement afghan par l'entremise du projet de "Participation des femmes aux processus décisionnels", mis en œuvre par l'ONU Femmes et ses partenaires locaux. Le centre vise à soutenir les femmes en politique; faciliter le réseautage entre les parlementaires afghans, les membres des Conseils provinciaux et les acteurs de la société civile; et intégrer la promotion des droits des femmes dans le travail effectué par les hommes et les femmes en politique. Il offre aussi un espace où les femmes leaders politiques peuvent accéder à des ressources, comme des services d'informatique et d'impression, une bibliothèque et des salles de formation et de réunion.
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
Culvert #4 is now a bridge allows cars to travel over the waterway from Smith Slough to wetlands; part of U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Thunder Road project that addresses four fish barriers that block more than 22 acres of fish habitat, in La Push, Washington, Aug 22, 2018. This conservation planning effort lead to an unusual partnership where the Quileute Tribe requested access to Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife(WDFW) fish passage biologist and engineers through a NRCS/WDFW Contribution agreement. This partnership resulted in a coordinated effort to bring conservation actions to life in a remote location. The Thunder Road Project addressed the need for floodplain connectivity to restore natural flow of water across floodplain, restore access to off-channel fish habitat in wetlands and stream complex. The project also improved the roadway and reduced sediment runoff from tribal members using road to access the river during the wet season (peak fishing season). The conservation plans identified aquatic habitat, water quality, and plant pest resource concerns, along with a social resource concern related to the Tribeâs use of the degraded Thunder Road for fishing and recreational access. Additionally, conservation planning determined soils information was needed and resulted in a Soil Survey mapping effort on the Reservation. Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) funding in two successive years was used to provide the Tribe financial assistance. The tribe used State Salmon Recovery Funding Board funding to provide the balance of the implementation cost. EQIP 2015 contract included invasive species control aquatic organism passage and access road improvement=$60,964. EQIP 2016 contract included aquatic organism passage and access road improvement = $117,101. Featured personnel: USDA NRCS Tribal Liaison for Washington State Robin Slate, West Area Biologist Rachel Maggi, Quileute Tribal Council Vice Chair Tony Foster, Quileute Tribal Water Quality Biologist Nicole Rasmussen, and WDFW Fish Passage Biologist Melissa Erkel. USDA Photo by Lance Cheung.
twitter.com/LanesTree/status/1544161688047550465
This photo is posted for design inspiration. The design content and photos posted in this album are not my own, but posts from external sources around the web. For use in commercial and personal projects contact the original source of the content posted in the Album "Web Graphic Design Resources".
See the full post about this session about Bullying in the Workplace here:
reveln.com/leadership-bullying-and-the-queen-bee/
My main focus is performance & change facilitation, consulting for healthy organization sustainability and growth, and leadership coaching via: REVELN at reveln.com/
ScoopIt is an useful NEWS curation tool that creates an attractive on-line magazine that I share with subscribers once a month or so via REVELN: reveln.com/tools/
Thanks for visiting! ~ Deb
1988-9's - Unknown Cheerleaders - Lincoln High School - Reverse = "Wrestling".
More at pchs.org/resources/1997-064-058
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Disaster Household Distribution Program (DHHDP) activities by Genesee County Community Action Resource Department (GCCARD), on Thursday, October 6, 2016, in Flint, Michigan. USDA Foods are being packaged and delivered to 17,000 households eligible for The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) in the Flint area to help address the ongoing water crisis. DHHDP packages are prepositioned in shopping carts in the onsite distribution area that includes receptionists, commodity shelves, assistants, and checkout counters. The DHHDP consists of an additional 14-pound nutrient-targeted food package, containing foods rich in calcium, iron, and Vitamin C â which are believed to help limit the absorption of lead in the body. This number of boxes will be distributed each month for four months. The food is in addition to the regular allotment that TEFAP recipients currently receive. The packing line team often includes volunteers who come here on their personal time to produced hundreds of Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) and TEFAP packages. CSFP works to improve the health of low- income elderly persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods. USDA photo by Lance Cheung.
For more information about USDA -- www.usda.gov
For more information about FNS -- www.fns.usda.gov
For more information about Disaster Nutrition Assistance Programs, including DHHDP -- www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/disaster/Disaster-Br...
For more information about CSFP -- www.fns.usda.gov/csfp/commodity-supplemental-food-program...
For more information about TEFAP -- www.fns.usda.gov/tefap/emergency-food-assistance-program-...
@USDA
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
AHRMA, workforce readiness, hr, human resources, association, luncheon, networking
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
Susan Dawson, E3 Alliance
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
Ramona Rohrer and Kate McLagen
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
AHRMA, workforce readiness, hr, human resources, association, luncheon, networking
Pickering Castle is situated on the southern edge of the North York Moors on a limestone bluff which formerly overlooked the meeting point of two of the main highways through the north of England: the east-west route along the Vale of Pickering and the north-south route through Newton Dale to Malton. The monument consists of a single area which includes the site of the 11th century motte and bailey castle and the 13th century shell keep castle. The former was built by William the Conqueror either during or shortly after the 'harrying of the north' in 1069-70. It consisted of an earth motte crowned by a timber palisade, flanked on the north-west side by a crescent-shaped inner bailey and, on the south-east side, by a contemporary or slightly later outer bailey. The inner bailey measured c.120m by c.35m and was bounded to the north by a steep natural slope surmounted by a palisade and to the south by deep 15m wide ditches linked to the ditch encircling the motte. The outer bailey, which measured c.185m by c.25m, was protected on the north side by these same ditches and, on the south side, by a 5-8m high palisaded bank with an outer ditch. To the immediate east of the outer bailey ditch a further earthwork bank may have provided additional defence on this side; alternatively it may be part of a medieval defence system associated with the adjacent settlement. The motte is c.20m high and has a base diameter of c.60m. It is not yet clear whether this is the original 11th century motte or a later medieval reconstruction. In the latter case, the earlier motte will have been preserved inside the later while, in addition, the buried remains of a wide range of domestic and service buildings will survive within the open areas of the baileys.
The reconstruction of the castle in stone largely took place between 1180 and 1236. There were three main phases to the work at this time, the earliest involving the late 12th century replacement of the palisade round the inner bailey with a curtain wall and also the probable construction of the first shell keep on the motte. In its present form the shell keep dates to the early 13th century but the foundations of the earlier wall will survive underneath. The remains of the early curtain wall still stand round the inner bailey, surviving best where the curtain was incorporated into later buildings. The earliest buildings so far identified are the early or mid- 12th century Old Hall, a free-standing residence whose surviving foundations show it to have been half-timbered, and the Coleman Tower, constructed at the same time as the inner curtain and an integral part of it. The Coleman Tower guarded the entry across the inner bailey ditch and was also a prison; hence its earlier name, the King's Prison. It was square in plan and had its entrance on the first floor, the level underneath being where the prisoners were kept. On the east side are the remains of a small building and also a stairway leading onto an adjacent wall. This wall, built across the motte ditch in the late 12th century, replaced an earlier palisade and provided access to the summit of the motte. A similar and contemporary length survives on the opposite side of the motte, crossing the ditch and joining the curtain alongside the later Rosamund's Tower. The keep consisted of a rubble wall enclosing a roughly circular area 20m wide. A wall walk would have lined the inside of the wall above a series of garrison buildings. The foundations of some of these buildings survive but it is not certain whether they date to the 13th or the 14th century. In some cases they will have replaced earlier timber structures whose buried remains will also survive. Also of uncertain date are the foundations of a number of buildings in the inner bailey, including a service range to the south-west and a group of buildings referred to as the Constable's Place in the accounts of the years 1441-43. The latter were half-timbered and some sections predate the inner curtain though others were clearly added later. A survey of 1537 lists a number of distinct structures, including the Constable's hall, a kitchen, buttery and pantry, and quarters for staff and servants. At the southern end of the group were a number of storage buildings, one of which is believed to have been the wool house. Two additional service buildings lay adjacent to the Old Hall and are thought, originally, to have been contemporary with it. To the south of these is the chantry-chapel which dates from c.1227 and is still complete though in a much altered state.
To the west of this is the early 14th century New Hall, initially built as a residence for Countess Alice, wife of Earl Thomas of Lancaster. This was later used as a courthouse which gave rise to it being named King's Hall or Motte (moot) Hall in later surveys. It was a penticed or lean-to building of two storeys which utilised the inner curtain for its outer wall. The inner walls were timber-framed and, as much of the surviving stonework is late 12th or early 13th century, it clearly replaced an earlier building. The upper chamber or solar of the 14th century hall was an elaborate plastered room with a decorated fireplace. The last major programme of building dates to 1324-26 when Edward II ordered extensive works to be carried out which included replacing the whole of the timber palisade round the outer bailey with a stone wall. This outer curtain included three projecting towers, a gatehouse with a drawbridge over the outer ditch and a postern gate which led from the north-east arm of the inner bailey ditch, underneath Rosamund's Tower and out onto the rampart. A second gate and drawbridge, built at this time alongside the Coleman Tower, had fallen out of use by the 16th century and can now no longer be seen. The three projecting towers, named from north-east to south-west, Rosamund's Tower, Diate Hill Tower and Mill Tower, are all square in plan and all would have led out onto the wall-walk along the inside of the curtain though, in the case of the Mill Tower, the curtain to either side has not survived sufficiently well to demonstrate this. The ground-floor entrance to the Mill Tower consisted of two doors linked by a short passage, in which the first door opened inwards and the second outwards indicating that the tower was built as a prison, a role it took over from the Coleman Tower. North of the Mill Tower, the outer curtain crossed the inner bailey ditch which can also be seen outside the castle walls on the west and north sides. This section of the ditch was part of the original 11th century defences and was quarried out of the rock on which the castle was built.
A levelled area alongside the inner edge indicates that quarrying of the rock-face continued after the ditch was cut. The quarried stone would have gone towards the construction of at least some of the castle buildings. Aside from its strategic and administrative roles, Pickering Castle had two other functions: to guard and manage the large forest which lay adjacent and to provide a court and place of detention for those found guilty of offences against it, such as poaching, unauthorised clearance and the theft of timber. The forest was an extremely important economic resource during the Middle Ages and its particular importance at Pickering can be seen in the great use made of wood in the castle buildings and also, most significantly, its continuous use in the defences down to the 14th century. Also important to the castle economy during the 14th century was the sale of wool, and it also had responsibility for managing the royal stud created by Edward II in c.1322. Possibly the stables known to have been located against the outer curtain at this time, between the gatehouse and Diate Hill tower, were connected with this. According to the Domesday Book, in 1086 the manor of Pickering was held by the king, that is, William the Conqueror. The castle established at this time as part of the subjugation of the rebellious North remained in royal hands until 1267 when it was conferred with the title Earl of Lancaster on Edmund Crouchback, younger son of Henry III. Edmund's son Thomas succeeded to both title and estates in 1296 but was executed for treason by Edward II in 1322, whereupon his estates reverted to the king. Following the unsuccessful Scottish campaign of the same year, and the ensuing retaliatory attacks on the north of England by Robert the Bruce, Edward ordered the building works noted above, clearly intending to keep Pickering a royal castle. However, in 1326 his son Edward III confirmed Henry, the younger brother of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, in his brother's titles and estates, and, in 1351, the castle became part of the Duchy of Lancaster when that title was created. Upon the elevation of the House of Lancaster to the throne in 1399, and in 1413, the succession of Henry V, the Duchy reverted to the Crown and Pickering became a royal castle once again. It has been in State care since 1926. A number of features within the protected area are excluded from the scheduling. These include the ticket office/sales point and its paved base and steps, all English Heritage fixtures and fittings such as bins, bridges, safety grilles, signs, railings and interpretation boards, the surfaces of all modern steps and paths inside and outside the castle walls, lighting and the modern walls and fences round the outside edge of the protected area but the ground beneath all these features is included.
The Tucson Unified School District has five of these centers to give families info. about important District policies and provide other resources such as clothing banks, classes, and bilingual services.
6855 S. Mark Rd., Tucson, AZ
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
AHRMA, workforce readiness, hr, human resources, association, luncheon, networking
This texture is available with creative commons license - with attribution.
Credit and a link back to me is appreciated.
Thanks! Blessed be.
ChiaraLily
Students and their parents are encouraged to meet staff members from various campus offices.
Photo by Dale Preston '83
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
AHRMA, workforce readiness, hr, human resources, association, luncheon, networking
Health and Human Services held a department-wide staff meeting and resource fair Oct. 1 @the Grounds.
Workforce Readiness Day at Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA). May monthly luncheon.
Thief River Falls - Aerial View - Looking South - Pennington Ave.,Hugo's, First Street Bridge, Red Lake River, Power House, & Hospital.
More at pchs.org/resources/2009-010-014
Natural Resource Conservation Service Chief Terry Cosby visited a 75-acre Wetland Reserve Program property in St. Charles County, Mo. that has an Agricultural Conservation Easement Program agreement. He met with the landowner, Joan Fitzgerald, members of the NRCS Missouri staff, and partners for a tour of the property to witness how all parties are working to put wildlife habitat back on the landscape.
USDA photo by Josh Colligan, 3/23/2023