View allAll Photos Tagged Resource
Outside a regolith bin at the agency's Kennedy Space center in Florida, an engineer operates controls for a lightweight simulator version of NASA's Resource Prospector during a mobility test. The Resource Prospector mission aims to be the first mining expedition on another world. Operating on the moon’s poles, the robot is designed to use instruments to locate elements at a lunar polar regions, then excavate and sample resources such as hydrogen, oxygen and water. These resources could support human explores on their way to destinations such as farther into the solar system.
Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett
twitter.com/TakeTJ1/status/1606325408017907712 This photo is posted for design inspiration. The design content and photos posted in this album are not my own, but posts from external sources around the web. For use in commercial and personal projects contact the original source of the content posted in the Album "Web Graphic Design Resources".
December 3, 2014 - Washington DC., The World Bank Group, Inter-American Development Bank, and Global Women’s Institute at George Washington University launch a new resource guide for development practitioners on preventing and responding to violence against women and girls across a range of development sectors.
Welcoming Remarks: Caren Grown, Senior Director for Gender, World Bank Group
Special Guest: Carlos Andrés Gómez, award-winning poet, actor, storyteller, and author of Man Up: Reimagining Modern Manhood
Moderator: Mary Ellsberg (moderator), Director of the Global Women’s Institute at GW
Panelists:Arup Banerji, Senior Director for Social Protection, World Bank Group; Claudia Costin, Senior Director for Education, World Bank Group; Heidi Lehmann, Senior Director of Women’s Protection and Empowerment, International Rescue Committee; Susan Markham, Senior Coordinator for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment, USAID; Andrew Morrison, Chief of Gender and Diversity Unit, Inter-American Development Bank
RFA RESOURCE A480
Class……………………………Resource class Dry Stores ships
Builder………………………..Scotts' Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Greenock
Yard number……………….697
Laid down..………………….June 1964
Launched….…………………11 February 1966
Completed.………………….6 June 1967
Propulsion.…………………..1 shaft : 2 Steam Turbines geared to sc. Shaft manufactured by Assoc. Electrical Industries Ltd, Manchester. 2 Foster-Wheeler oil fired boilers
Speed..…………………………21 knots (max)
Range…………………………..
Fate
•1 May 1997: Arrived Devonport to de-store ready for disposal.
•June 1997: Sold to Harlequin Shipping Ltd, St Vincent & Grenadines and was renamed RESOURCEFUL.
•4 June 1997: Sailed Devonport for Indian breakers
•20 August 1997: Arrived Alang, India to be broken up by R K Industries.
RFA RESOURCE on 1 August 1989 at Plymouth
This is a lovely room at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, with videos and books. It is a beautiful space.
Zmieniamy wygląd tekstur oraz dźwięki w Minecrafcie.
www.download.net.pl/jak-zainstalowac-nowe-tekstury-w-mine...
For the past year, I have posted shots of Kent churches on Twitter than on a churchcrawling group on FB, and in the course of that year, I have come to realise that some churches I recorded better than others, and some of the early one, were mostly dreadful wide angle shots.
So, one by one, I plan to go back and reshoot them.
St Mary was one. It was closed on All Hallow's Eve last year, but on Saturday last month, we dropped off some prints to be framed in the town, and a short walk along Strand Street is St Mary.
It was open for an art shot, but that was OK, as I wanted to snap the memorials and details.
Today, St Mary is used as a community resource. It has a stage, and the nave either used for the audience or an exhibition space.
Around the walls are many fine memorials and details to look at and ponder over.
Sandwich had three parish churches, two are now redundant, but both St Mary and St Peter have survived to be assets for the town.
As they should be.
-------------------------------------------
An extraordinary barn of a church - one of two in the town cared for by The Churches Conservation Trust. That it was a large Norman church is without question - see the responds at the west end of the nave. Like the other two churches in Sandwich, St Mary's probably also had a central tower, the collapse of which (like St Peter's) caused havoc to the building. Rebuilding here took a rather rare form with the building losing its south arcade; having a new north arcade built of wood; and a new roof to cover the whole! By the 20th century the church was surplus to requirements and was threatened with demolition. However local supporters, encouraged by the doyen of ecclesiologists, Ivor Bulmer-Thomas, saved it. Now used for concerts it is open to visitors and has much of interest. In the north aisle are 18th century pews saved from Gopsall Hall in Leicestershire. The chancel contains a rare banner stave locker for the poles used to carry banners in medieval street processions. Nearby is an example of two pieces of stone being joined together with a dowel made from animal bone. The glass in the east window is scratched with the names of the glaziers who have repaired it on numerous occasions!
www.kentchurches.info/church.asp?p=Sandwich+2
-------------------------------------------
THE town of Sandwich is situated on the north-east confines of this county, about two miles from the sea, and adjoining to the harbour of its own name, through which the river Stour flows northward into the sea at Pepperness. It is one of the principal cinque ports, the liberty of which extends over it, and it is within the jurisdiction of the justices of its own corporation.
Sandwich had in antient time several members appertaining to it, (fn. 1) called the antient members of the port of Sandwich; these were Fordwich, Reculver, Sarre, Stonar, and Deal; but in the later charters, the members mentioned are Fordwich incorporated, and the non-corporated members of Deal, Walmer, Ramsgate, Stonar, Sarre, all in this county, and Brightlingsea, in Sussex; but of late years, Deal, Walmer, and Stonar, have been taken from it; Deal, by having been in 1699 incorporated with the charter of a separate jurisdiction, in the bounds of which Walmer is included; and Stonar having been, by a late decision of the court of king's bench in 1773, adjudged to be within the jurisdiction of the county at large.
The first origin of this port was owing to the decay of that of Richborough, as will be further noticed hereafter. It was at first called Lundenwic, from its being the entrance to the port of London, for so it was, on the sea coast, and it retained this name until the supplanting of the Saxons by the Danes, when it acquired from its sandy situation a new name, being from thenceforward called Sandwic, in old Latin, Sabulovicum, that is, the sandy town, and in process of time, by the change of language, Sandwich.
Where this town now stands, is supposed, in the time of the Romans, and before the decay of the haven, or Portus Rutupinus, to have been covered with that water, which formed the bay of it, which was so large that it is said to have extended far beyond this place, on the one side almost to Ramsgate cliffs, and on the other near five miles in width, over the whole of that flat of land, on which Stonar and Sandwich too, were afterwards built, and extending from thence up to the æstuary, which then flowed up between the Isle of Thanet and the main land of this county.
During the time of the Saxons, the haven and port of Richborough, the most frequented of any in this part of Britain, began to decay, and swarve up, the sea by degrees entirely deserting it at this place, but still leaving sufficient to form a large and commodious one at Sandwich, which in process of time, became in like manner, the usual resort for shipping, and arose a Flourishing harbour in its stead; from which time the Saxon fleets, as well as those of the Danes, are said by the historians of those times, to sail for the port of Sandwich; and there to lie at different times, and no further mention is made of that of Richborough, which being thus destroyed, Sandwich became the port of general resort; which, as well as the building of this town, seems to have taken place, however, some while after the establishment of the Saxons in Britain, and the first time that is found of the name of Sandwich being mentioned and occurring as a port, is in the life of St. Wilfred, archbishop of York, written by Eddius Stephanus; in which it is said, he and his company, prosper in portum Sandwich, atque suaviter pervenerunt, happily and pleasantly arrived in the harbour of Sandwich, which happened about the year 665, or 666, some what more than 200 years after the arrival of the Saxons in Britain. During the time of the Danes insesting this kingdom, several of their principal transactions happened at this place, (fn. 2) and the port of it became so much frequented, that the author of queen Emma's life stiles it the most noted of all the English ports; Sandwich qui est omnium Anglorum portuum famosissimus.
FROM THE TIME of the origin of the town of Sandwich, the property of it was vested in the several kings who reigned over this country, and continued so till king Ethelred, in the year 979, gave it, as the lands of his inheritance, to Christ-church, in Canterbury, free from all secular service and fiscal tribute, except the repelling invasions, and the repairing of bridges and castles. (fn. 3) After which king Canute, having obtained the kingdom, finished the building of this town, and having all parts and places in the realm at his disposal, as coming to the possession of it by conquest, by his charter in the year 1023, gave, or rather restored the port of Sandwich, with the profits of the water of it, on both sides of the stream, for the support of that church, and the sustenance of the monks there.
Soon after this, the town of Sandwich increased greatly in size and inhabitants, and on account of the commodity and use of its haven, and the service done by the shipping belonging to it, was of such estimation, that it was made one of the principal cinque ports; and in king Edward the Confessor's days it contained three hundred and seven houses, and was an hundred within itself; and it continued increasing, as appears by the description of it, in the survey of Domesday, taken in the 15th year of the Conqueror's reign, anno 1080, in which it is thus entered, under the title of the lands of the archbishop:
Sandwice lies in its own proper hundred. This borough the archbishop holds, and it is of the clothing of the monks, and yields the like service to the king as Dover; and this the men of that borough testify, that before king Edward gave the same to the Holy Trinity, it paid to the king fisteen pounds. At the time of King Edward's death it was not put to ferme. When the archbishop received it, it paid forty pounds of ferme, and forty thousand herrings to the food of the monks. In the year in which this description was made, Sanuuic paid fifty pounds of ferme, & Herrings as above. In the time of king Edward the Confessor there were there three hundred and seven mansions tenanted, now there are seventy six more, that is together three hundred and eighty three.
And under the title of the bishop of Baieux's lands, as follows, under the description of the manor of Gollesberge:
In Estrei hundred, in Sandunic, the archbishop has thirty two houses, with plats of land belonging to this manor,(viz. Gollesberge) and they pay forty-two shil lings and eight pence, and Adeluuold has one yoke, which is worth ten shillings.
These houses, with all the liberties which the bishop of Baieux had in Sandwich, had been given by him to Christ-church, in Canterbury, and confirmed to it in the year 1075, by his brother the Conqueror. (fn. 4)
Afterwards king Henry II. granted to the monks the full enjoyment of all those liberties and customs in Sandwich, which they had in the time of king Henry his grandfather, that is, the port and toll, and all maritime customs in this port, on both sides of the water, that is, from Eadburgate unto Merksflete, and the small boat to ferry across it, and that no one should have any right there except them and their servants.
The town, by these continued privileges, and the advantages it derived from the great resort to the port, increased much in wealth and number of inhabitants; and notwithstanding, in the year 1217, anno 2 king Henry III. great part of the town was burnt by the French, yet the damage seems soon to have been recompenced by the savors bestowed on it by the several kings, in consideration of the services it had continually afforded, in the shipping of this port, to the nation. The first example of royal favor, being shewn by the last-mentioned king, was in his 11th year, who not only confirmed the customs before granted, but added the further grant of a market to this town and port, (fn. 5) and in his 13th year granted the custom of taking twopence for each cask of wine received into it.
After which, the prior and convent of Christ-church, in the 18th year of King Edward I. gave up in exchange for other lands elsewhere, to his queen Eleanor, all their rights, possessions, and privileges here, excepting their houses and keys, and a free passage in the
haven, in the small boat, called the vere boat, (fn. 6) and free liberty for themselves and their tenants to buy and sell toll free, which the king confirmed that year; and as a favor to the town, he placed the staple for wool in it for some time.
The exception above-mentioned, was afterwards found to be so very prejudicial, as well as inconvenient, that king Edward III. in his 38th year, gave them other lands in Essex, in exchange for all their rights, privileges, and possessions, in this town and port. After which king Richard II. in his first year, removed the staple for wool from Queenborough, where it had been for some time, hither.
During the whole of this period from the time of the conquest, this port continued the general rendezvous of the royal sleets, and was as constantly visted by the several monarchs, who frequently embarked and returned again hither from France; the consequence of which was, that the town became so flourishing, that it had increased to between eight and nine hundred houses inhabited, divided into three parishes; and there were of good and able mariners, belonging to the navy of it, above the number of 1500; so that when there was occasion at any time, the mayors of it, on the receipt of the king's letters, furnished, at the town's charges, to the seas, fifteen sail of armed ships of war, which were of such continued annoyance to the French, that they in return made it a constant object of their revenge. Accordingly, in the 16th year of king Henry VI. they landed here and plundered the greatest part of the inhabitants, as they did again in the 35th year of it; but but this not answering the whole of their purpose, Charles VIII. king of France, to destroy it entirely, sent hither four thousand men, who landing in the night, after a long and bloody conflict gained possession of the town, and having wasted it with fire and sword, slew the greatest part of the inhabitants; and to add to these misfortunes it was again ransacked by the earl of Warwick, in the same reign.
To preserve the town from such disasters in future, king Edward IV. new walled, ditched, and fortifield it with bulwarks, and gave besides, for the support of them, one hundred pounds yearly out of the customhouse here; which, together with the industry and efforts of the merchants, who frequented this haven, the goodness of which, in any storm or contrary wind, when they were in danger from the breakers, or the Goodwin Sands, afforded them a safe retreat; in a very short time restored it again to a flourishing state, infomuch, that before the end of that reign, the clear yearly receipt of the customs here to that king, amounted to above the sum of 16 or 17,000l. (fn. 7) and the town had ninety five ships belonging to it, and above fifteen hundred sailors.
But this sunshine of prosperity lasted no long time afterwards, for in king Henry VII.'s time, the river Stour, or as it was at this place antiently called, the Wantsume, continued to decay so fast, as to leave on each side at low water, a considerable quantity of salts, which induced cardinal archbishop Moreton, who had most part of the adjoining lands belonging to his bishopric, for his own private advantage, to inclose and wall them in, near and about Sarre; which example was followed from time to time, by several owners of the lands adjoining, by which means the water was deprived of its usual course, and the haven felt the loss of it by a hasty decay. Notwithstanding which, so late as the first year of king Richard III. ships failed up this haven as high as Richborough, for that year, as ap pears by the corporation books of Sandwich, the mayor ordered a Spanish ship, lying on the outside of Richborough, to be removed. (fn. 8)
"Leland, who wrote in the reign of Henry VIII. gives the following description of Sandwich, as it was in his time. "Sandwich, on the farther side of the ryver of Sture, is neatly welle walled, where the town stonddeth most in jeopardy of enemies. The residew of the town is diched and mudde waulled. There be yn the town iiii principal gates, iii paroche chyrches, of the which sum suppose that St. Maries was sumtyme a nunnery. Ther is a place of White Freres, and an hospistal withowt the town, fyrst ordened for maryners desesid and hurt. There is a place where monkes of Christ-church did resort, when they were lords of the towne. The caryke that was sonke in the haven, in pope Paulus tyme, did much hurt to the haven and gether a great bank. The grounde self from Sandwich to the heaven, and inward to the land, is caullid Sanded bay".
The sinking of this great ship of pope Paul IV. in the very mouth of the haven, by which the waters had not their free course as before, from the sand and mud gathering round about it, together with the innings of the lands on each side the stream, had such a fatal effect towards the decay of the haven, that in the time of king Edward VI. it was in a manner destroyed and lost, and the navy and mariners dwindled to almost nothing, and the houses then inhabited in this town did not exceed two hundred, the inhabitants of which were greatly impoverished; the yearly customs of the town, by reason of the insufficiency of the haven, were so desicient, that there was scarcely enough arising from it to satisfy the customer his fee. This occasioned two several commissions to be granted, one in the 2d year of that reign, and another in the 2d year of queen Eli zabeth, to examine the state of the haven, and make a return of it; in consequence of the first of which, a new cut was begun by one John Rogers, which, however, was soon left in an untinished state, though there are evident traces of what was done towards making this canal still remaining, on the grounds between the town and Sandowne castle; and in consequence of the second, other representations and reports were made, one of which was, that the intended cut would be useless, and of no good effect.
Whether these different reports where the occasion that no further progress was made towards this work, and the restoration of this haven, or the very great expence it was estimated at, and the great difficulty of raising so large a sum, being 10,000l which the queen at that time could no ways spare, but so it was, that nothing further was done in it.
¶The haven being thus abandoned by the queen, and becoming almost useless, excepting to vessels of the small burthen before mentioned, the town itself would before long have become impoverished and fallen wholly to decay, had it not been most singularly preserved, and raised again, in some measure, to great wealth and prosperity, occasioned by the persecution for religion in Brabant and Flanders, which communicated to all the Protestant parts of Europe, the paper, silk, woollen, and other valuable manufactures of Flanders and France, almost peculiar at that time to those countries, and till then, in vain attempted elsewhere; the manufacturers of them came in bodies up to London, and afterwards chose their situations, with great judgment, distributing themselves, with the queen's licence, through England, so as not to interfere too much with one another. The workers in sayes, baize, and flannel in particular, fixed themselves here, at Sandwich, at the mouth of a haven, by which they might have an easy communication with the metropolis, and other parts of this kingdom, and afforded them like wife an easy export to the continent. These manufacturers applied accordingly to the queen, for her protection and licence; for which purpose, in the third year of her reign, she caused letters patent to be passed, directed to the mayor, &c. to give liberty to such of them, as should be approved of by the archbishop, and bishop of London, to inhabit here for the purpose of exercising those manufactures, which had not been used before in England, or for shishing in the seas, not exceeding the number of twenty-five house holders, accounting to every household not above twelve persons, and there to exercise their trade, and have as many servants as were necessary for carrying them on, not exceeding the number above mentioned; these immediately repaired to Sandwich, to the number, men, women, and children, of four hundred and six persons; of which, eight only were masters in the trade. A body of gardeners likewife discovered the nature of the soil about Sandwich to be exceedingly favourable to the growth of all esculent plants, and fixed themselves here, to the great advantage of this town, by the increase of inhabitants, the employment of the poor, and the money which circulated; the landholders like wife had the great advantage of their rents being considerably increased, and the money paid by the town and neighbourhood for vegetables, instead of being sent from hence for the purchase of them, remained within the bounds of it. The vegetables grew here in great perfection, but much of them was conveyed at an easy expence, by water carriage, to London, and from thence dispersed over different parts of the kingdom.
These strangers, by their industry and prudent conduct, notwithstanding the obstructions they met with, from the jealousy of the native tradesmen, and the avarice of the corporation, very soon rose to a flourishing condition.
There were formerly THREE PAROCHIAL CHURCHES in this town, and a church or chapel likewise, supposed by some to have been parochial, dedicated to St. Jacob, which has been long since demolished; but the three former churches, being those of St. Mary, St. Peter, and St. Clement, Still remain; an account of all which will be given separately.
ST. MARY'S CHURCH stands in a low situation in Strand street, on the northern part of the town. The original church, built in the time of the Saxons, is said to have been demolished by the Danes, and to have been afterwards rebuilt by queen Emma, which building was burnt down by the French, and it was not long afterwards again rebuilt; notwithstanding which, it appears to have become dilapidated and in a most ruinous state in the time of king Henry VI. for in the 2d year of that reign, anno 1448, part of the steeple fell, in consequence of which it underwent a thorough repair, and then consisted of two isles and the nave; the latter was terminated by the high chancel, and the south isle by St. Laurence's chancel. It however, fell down again on April 25, 1667, and brought down with it most of the church; the western wall, portions of the south isle and its chancel only remaining; and though the church itself was soon afterwards rebuilt, as at present, yet it does not appear that any steeple was built till the year 1718, when the present low one was raised upon the south porch, and one bell put up in it. Before this, there were five small bells, which about the year 1639, had been formed out of three larger ones; the above five bells were sold, for the faculty had been obtained in 1669, to fell the useless timber and the bells, towards the rebuilding of the church, and they were sold, as it is said, to the parish of Eleham.
In an antient bead-roll of this church, there is mention made of John and William Condy, the first beginners of the foundation of the chantry of that name in this church; of Thomas Loueryk and his wife, who founded the chapel of our Lady, at the east head of it; and of the three windows of the north side of the church; of Thomas Elys and Margaret his wife, and Sir Thomas Rolling, vicar of this church, of whose goods was made the west window of it, and who made the vicarage of the parish more than it was before; and besides these, of several other benefactors to the windows and other parts of it. And there were divers other gifts made to this church, for its reparation, and for obits, and other religious services performed in it, as appears by the evidences belonging to it.
The inventory of the silver and jewels, belonging to the church before the reformation, sufficiently shew the costliness of the utensils belonging to it, and the riches of it. The silver, according to the inventory made of them, amounting to 724 ounces; and the habits of the ministers to officiate in it, the linen and books, were answerable to the rest belonging to it.
The present church of St. Mary consists of a north isle, and the nave, at the end of which is the chancel, which has an ascent of three steps on each side; between which entrances are the mayor's seat and other pews. The altar piece, table, and rails, are of wainscot and very ornamental. The sont is at the west end of the nave, it is a stone bason, having eight faces changed alternately with plain shields and roses, in quaterfoils; on the shaft are the letters cw. II. RS. DE. IC. POD. 1662.
In this church are numbers of monuments and inscriptions, all which are printed in Mr. Boys's Collections, P. 319, the whole too numerous to mention here, but among others at the west end of the nave, are memorials of the Smiths and Verriers. In the south space are memorials for the Petleys and for the Whites. In the middle space, on an old stone, are the remains of a cross story, resting on a dog or lion, and the remains of an inscription with this date, I. M. CCC. XXX. In the north isle are three grave-stones, on a rise above the pavement, with inscriptions shewing, that underneath is a vault, in which lie many of the family of Hayward, formerly mayors of this town; arms, Argent, on a pale, sable, three crescents of the field, In the chancel is a large stone, robbed of its brasses, which formerly commerated the deaths of Roger Manwood and his family; the place where it lies was formerly St. Laurence chancel. In the chancel is a monument of stone much defaced; on it are the figures of a manand woman kneeling, in a praying posture, for Abraham Rutton, formerly mayor, and Susan his wife, by whom he had seven sons and six daughters. He died in 1608; and for his descendant the Rev. John Rutton, obt. 1763, rector of this parish. Against the south wall, is a handsome monument of marble, with these arms, Argent, five chevronels, sable, and per pale, azure and gules, a lion rampant, argent; and an inscription for several of the family of Hougham. Against the same wall a tablet, for Mary, wife of Joseph Stewart, esq. obt. 1775; arms, Argent, a lion rampant, gules, over all, a bend raguled, or. Over the south door, a marble monument for Richard Solly, gent. thrice mayor, obt. 1731; and Anna his wife, daughter of John Crickett, gent, by whom he had ten sons and three daughters; arms, Azure, a chevron, party per pale, or, and gules, between three soles, naient, argent. At the west end of the nave is an altar tomb, with an inscription, shewing, that in a vault underneath, lie several of the Cricketts; another altar tomb, with an inscription, for several of the Nowells; arms, Three covered cups. By the gallery stairs, on an altar tomb, an inscription for Tho. Danson, preacher, of this town, who died 1764; on a raised monument of brick, an inscription, for several of the name of Jordan; this stands close before, and hides the altar part of a monument, under an arch in the north wall, to the memory of Sir William Loverick, of Ash, and dame Emma his wife, the daughter of Sir John Septvans, of that parish, who are said to have been the principal repairers, or builders of this church, after it had been burnt by the French, and were buried in king Henry IV.'s reign; on an adjoining tomb an inscription for the Maundys.
There are stones, pointing out the entrances into the vaults of Solly and Stewart, and there are inscriptions on a board, commemorating the benefactions of John Dekewer, esq. Solomon Hougham, gent. Sir Henry Furnese, bart. and Mr. Peter Jarvis.
Several names appear on the stones, on the outside of the east and north walls of the chancel. Sir Edward Ringely, of Knolton, was buried in Jesus chapel, in this church, on the left side of the altar. In the 35th of king Henry VIII. William, lord Clinton, is said to have been interred under a gilded arch in the south wall of this church, which arch was walled up in king Edward VI.'s reign, but it was visible some time afterwards in the church yard, perhaps it may be the same projectioin that now appears there, on the south side of the chancel. William Condie, who founded the chantry, afterwards called by his name, in this church, was likewife interred, together with his wife, in the south isle of the old church, near the lord Clinton's tomb; but there is nothing now to point out precisely the situation of their remains, nor those of Thomas Manwood, gent. who died in king Henry VIII.'s time and was buried under the belfry. Stephen Perot was buried likewise in this church in 1570.
There are several altar tombs in the church-yard, one of which is for the family of Dekewer; arms, Vert, on a cross, engrailed, or, five fleurs de lis, sable; in the first and fourth quarters, a caltrop, argent; in the second and third quarters, a lion rampant, of the last.
An anchoress had her cell at the east end of this church in the 20th year of king Henry VIII.
At a small distance south-west of St. Mary's church, was a church or chapel, dedicated to St. facob, supposed by many to have been a parochial church; there is nothing lest now to point out the situation of the building, the cemetery remains and is used occasionally as a burial place, for the use of St. Mary's parish. This church-yard seems to have got into lay hands at the suppression, for in 1578, it was enfeoffed by Edward Wood, to certain persons, for the necessary uses of the parish. The trust was renewed in 1604 and 1649. At the south-west corner was an hermitage, the residence of an hermit. The last hermit in it was John Steward, in king Henry VIII.'s reign, who was afterwards vicar of St. Mary's church, whose duty it was to minister to strangers and the poor, to bury the dead, and pray for the people in the chapel, which was destroyed, as well as others of the like sort, in the beginning of king Edward VI.'s reign. Great part of this building was standing at the latter end of Edward VI.'s reign; there was in it a brotherhood of St. Catherine, consisting of both brothers and sisters, which was benesitted by the will of John Wynchelse, of Sandwich. It appears that this church or chapel was under the management of the officers of St. Mary's parish, and that the building had been repaired in the years 1445 and 1478.
The church of St. Mary is a vicarage, the patronage of which has ever been part of the possessions of the archdeaconry of Canterbury, to whom the appropriation of the church likewise formerly belonged; it did so in the 8th year of king Richard II. anno 1384, when on the taxation of the spiritualities and temporalities ecclesiastic, in this diocese, the church of St. Mary's appropriated to the archdeacon, was valued at eight pounds, and the vicarage was valued at only four pounds, and on account of the smallness of it, was not taxed to the tenth. (fn. 47) The vicarage is valued in the king's books, in king Henry VIII.'s reign, at 8l. 1s. since which time, and it should seem during the reign of queen Elizabeth, the great tithes, or appropriate parsonage of this church, were given up by the archdeacon to the vicarage, so that the vicar has been since intitled to both great and small tithes within the bounds of this parish, which induced several of the incumbents to stile themselves rectors, but certainly wrong, for it is still a vicarage, the vicars of which are entitled to the receipt and possession of the great tithes, by grant from the appropriator.
¶In 1588 here were 385 communicants, and it was valued at forty pounds per annum. In 1640 here were the same number of communicants, and it was valued at sixty-eight pounds. It is now a discharged living, of the clear yearly value of forty pounds. It has been augmented by the governors of queen Anne's bounty, the greater part of the money from which has been laid out in the purchase of marsh land in Wood. nesborough. At present the vicar receives the tithes of about eighty-four acres of land. There were great disputes formerly, between the appropriators of Eastry and the vicars of St. Mary's, respecting the tithes of a small district of land called Puttock's downe; but the decisions were constantly against the vicars of St. Mary's, and the tithes now belong to Word, a chapel of ease to Eastry.
Besides the ordinary small tithes, the vicar of this parish, as well as the incumbents of the two other parishes in Sandwich, collect from every house a certain sum, under the denomination of dues; this payment is said to be a composition for all the house, gardens, barns, and stables, according to custom, since the 12th year of queen Elizabeth; and the vicar of St. Mary's receives besides, 6s. 8d. annually, under the denomination of tithe of the old Crane.
In 1776 there were one hundred and sixty-eight houses in this parish, and six hundred and fourteen inhabitants; and the rents of it were in 1787, according to the pound rate, at rack rents towards the poor, upwards of 3,500l. per annum.
www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol10/pp152-216#h2-...
Image resource for the 2017 ULI Hines Student Competition hosted in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
Images are geolocated on the Flickr map for this account. Please visit: www.flickr.com/photos/109340935@N06/map
If you have any question about specific elements depicted on the image, please leave a comment.
Relevant comments are addressed on a regular basis during the competition period.
For general information about the competition please visit: www.uli.org/hines
Image: Nathan Weber/ULI
Commercialising Eros
A discussion with Jacob Appelbaum (us), Zach Blas (us), Liad Hussein Kantorowicz (il/de) and Aliya Rakhmetova (hu)
Moderated by Gaia Novati (it/de)
Includes the live performance / Mit der Performance Watch Me Work by Liad Hussein Kantorowicz and Kate Erhardt (za)
Saturday, Feb 4, 13:30–15:30, K1
This panel sheds light on the interferences and tensions between sex and business, analysing practices and strategies of technology entrepreneurship and networking models, online sexual imagery and queer virality. Moreover, it stresses the aspect of conscious reflection on bodily practices as opposed to simply consuming, focusing on how queer communities and sex workers use IT in their communication and how they try to break usual stereotypes through online and offline actions. A conscious reflection and practice of sexuality can be the way to imagine a different model of “commercialising eros”, mobilising communities, generating advocacy, and more broadly, shaping culture.
The panel is part of reSource Sex, which reflects on the interference and overlapping between sex business and ‘alternative’ porn, aiming to explore and discuss the open interzona which exists in between the often male-oriented mainstream porn, and the more narrow scene of queer and alt porn communities.
Zach Blas is an artist and writer working at the intersections of networked media, queerness, and the political. His on-going project, Queer Technologies, is a collective that produces critical applications, tools, and situations for queer technological agency, interventions, and social formation. Zach has exhibited at the Foundation for Art and Creative Technology in Liverpool, England, Highways Performance Space in Santa Monica, Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions, Fe Arts gallery in Pittsburgh, File Electronic Language International Festival in Brazil, and the 2010 Arse Elektronika Festival in San Francisco, where he was the recipient of a Prix Ars Elektronica. He has participated in residencies on “Art and Resistance” at the Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, Chiapas, Mexico, “On the Commons; or, Believing-Feeling- Acting Together” at the Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada, and “Devisualize” at the Medialab Prado, Madrid, Spain. Rhizome.org has recently interviewed him, and he has published in a Mínima, E-misférica, Version, and Schlossplatz³ and has articles forthcoming in The Fibreculture Journal, Women’s Studies Quarterly, Reclamations Journal, and networkpolitics.org. His work has been written about in Wired, Canon Magazine, and the South Atlantic Quarterly. He is one of the founding members of the Public School Durham and a PhD student in Literature, Information Science + Information Studies, Visual Studies, and Women?s Studies at Duke University. He also holds an MFA from UCLA, a Post-Baccalaureate certificate from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and a BS from Boston University. Visit www.zachblas.info or www.queertechnologies.info for more information.
twitter.com/AkashaLounge/status/1544287439715307520
This photo is posted for design inspiration. The design content and photos posted in this album are not my own, but posts from external sources around the web. For use in commercial and personal projects contact the original source of the content posted in the Album "Web Graphic Design Resources".
The harsh light doesn't help to soften the reality of this image. In many countries waterfalls like this are treasured; in modern Cambodia development comes before aesthetic considerations. Note the excavators for scale.
At this location of Venture Bank, I-5 Design and Manufacture upgraded the interior and exterior from out-dated to contemporary with an entirely new branding identity. For this online resource center, I-5 designed a curved panel to be on top for best customer visibility. Click here to see more bank upgrade
Research the history of your house: www.publications.qld.gov.au/dataset/brief-guides-at-qsa/r...
Before the arrival of Europeans in West End, there was an important habitual Aboriginal camp in the area around the upper part of Musgrave Park where Brisbane State High School now stands. Boundary Street in West End and in Spring Hill were named as along with Vulture Street and Wellington Road, they formed the original boundary of the Town of Brisbane. Later, when Brisbane grew out to these boundaries, police probably illegally prevented the Jagera and Turrbal peoples from being within the boundaries of the British settlement at night and on Sundays.
The entire riverbank in the West End area was covered with impenetrable rain forest. This was described as a "tangled mass of trees, vines, flowering creepers, staghorns, elkhorns, towering scrub palms, giant ferns, and hundreds of other varieties of the fern family, beautiful and rare orchids, and the wild passion flower". Along the river bank itself were sandy beaches, water lilies in thousands and dangling convolvulus.
Bush rats or fawn-footed melomys existed in large numbers in the rain forest and were hunted by driving them into nets. They were roasted and eaten by women only. They featured in various dreaming tales and tribal lore. The Aboriginal place name of Kurilpa derives from the name Kureel-pa meaning place of water rats.[4] The name is still used for various local local places, buildings and institutions in West End and South Brisbane area, e.g. West End was located in the former Electoral District of Kurilpa.
West End was named by early British settlers after the West End of London.
European settlers took advantage of the fertile soil to establish farms and orchards. There were strawberry farms where for an entry fee, visitors could eat all they wanted. A creek ran down from the Dornoch Terrace area into a reservoir at the corner of Melbourne and Manning streets from where water was sold. After heavy rain, this creek caused local flooding in West End. There was a spring near the site of the Boundary Hotel which was used by residents from the south side of Brisbane to collect water with long queues forming in dry periods.
There was industrial development along Montague Road, including the South Brisbane Gas Works, sawmills and a steam joinery.
On 16 August 1875 three schools opened: West End Boys State School, West End Girls State School and West End Infants State School, with a total of 236 pupils. On 30 June 1936 the boys' and girls' schools were merged creating West End State School. The infants' school was merged into West End State School on 16 December 1994.
The farms and orchards were steadily subdivided into suburban allotments which were popular due to the proximity of West End to the city, the river breezes and improving public transport.
West End was one of the first suburbs of Brisbane to be serviced by a tram line, being opened in 1885. Initially the tram was horse-drawn and terminated in Boundary Street, but in 1897 the line was electrified and extended to the corner of Hardgrave Road and Hoogley Street, via Vulture Street. It was subsequently extended down Hoogley Street to the ferry terminus at the end of Hoogley Street in 1925. The tram line closed on 13 April 1969.
West End history: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End,_Queensland
Quileute Tribal Council Vice Chair Tony Foster, talks with U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Tribal Liaison for Washington State Robin Slate, and Quileute Tribal Water Quality Biologist Nicole Rasmussen after they used a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) boat to travel along the Quillayute River looking for signs of erosion (risk erosion) of the bank at and about Smith Sough, the source of water that flows through the culverts of the NRCS Thunder Road project, that addresses four fish barriers that block more than 22 acres of fish habitat, in La Push, Washington, Aug 22, 2018. This conservation planning effort lead to an unusual partnership where the Quileute Tribe requested access to WDWF fish passage biologist and engineers through a NRCS/WDFW Contribution agreement. This partnership resulted in a coordinated effort to bring conservation actions to life in a remote location. The Thunder Road Project addressed the need for floodplain connectivity to restore natural flow of water across floodplain, restore access to off-channel fish habitat in wetlands and stream complex. The project also improved the roadway and reduced sediment runoff from tribal members using road to access the river during the wet season (peak fishing season). The conservation plans identified aquatic habitat, water quality, and plant pest resource concerns, along with a social resource concern related to the Tribe’s use of the degraded Thunder Road for fishing and recreational access. Additionally, conservation planning determined soils information was needed and resulted in a Soil Survey mapping effort on the Reservation. Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) funding in two successive years was used to provide the Tribe financial assistance. The tribe used State Salmon Recovery Funding Board funding to provide the balance of the implementation cost. EQIP 2015 contract included invasive species control aquatic organism passage and access road improvement=$60,964. EQIP 2016 contract included aquatic organism passage and access road improvement = $117,101. USDA Photo by Lance Cheung.
Field trial to examine genetic variation in resistance to Sudden Oak Death (Phytophthora ramorum) in tanoak, Douglas-fir, coast redwood, and Port-Orford-cedar. Established near Brookings, Oregon.
More about the project from Richard Sniezko:
A field trial was established in southern Oregon, near Brookings, in March 2019 to examine genetic variation in resistance to Phytophthora ramorum (pathogen causing Sudden Oak Death) in tanoak, as well as susceptibility of conifers Douglas-fir, coast redwood, and Port-Orford-cedar. The trial was a joint effort between USFS (Dorena Genetic Resource Center, FHP), OSU, and ODF.
900 tanoak (Notholithocarpus densiflorus) seedling ‘families’ from 55 Oregon parent trees (and bulked lots) were planted in a field trial to assess genetic resistance to Phytophthora ramorum (pathogen causing sudden oak death, SOD), and to correlate with results of seedling inoculation testing done at Oregon State University. Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii), coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), and Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) seedlings were also planted to test conifer susceptibility. Contact Richard Sniezko (richard.sniezko@usda.gov), Megan Lewien (mlewien@fs.fed.us), and Jared LeBoldus (Jared.LeBoldus@oregonstate.edu), for more information.
Photo by: Richard Sniezko
Date: March 18, 2019
Credit: USDA Forest Service, Region 6, Umpqua National Forest, Dorena Genetic Resource Center.
Source: Richard Sniezko collection; Cottage Grove, Oregon.
For more about the Dorena Genetic Resource Center see: www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/landmanagement/resourcemanageme...
Image provided by USDA Forest Service, Region 6, State and Private Forestry, Forest Health Protection: www.fs.usda.gov/main/r6/forest-grasslandhealth
The Los Angeles County Library hosts The Source, a series of resource fair across the county, for people experiencing homelessness. The event photographed is in Norwalk every third Monday of the month. (Photo Credit: Los Angeles County)
7 People Systems - Specialist in Human Resource Consulting and providing the Coaching Skills Certification.
Get the Coaching Skills Certified employee and Human Resource Consulting in Mumbai from www.7peoplesystems.com
Commercialising Eros
A discussion with Jacob Appelbaum (us), Zach Blas (us), Liad Hussein Kantorowicz (il/de) and Aliya Rakhmetova (hu)
Moderated by Gaia Novati (it/de)
Includes the live performance / Mit der Performance Watch Me Work by Liad Hussein Kantorowicz and Kate Erhardt (za)
Saturday, Feb 4, 13:30–15:30, K1
This panel sheds light on the interferences and tensions between sex and business, analysing practices and strategies of technology entrepreneurship and networking models, online sexual imagery and queer virality. Moreover, it stresses the aspect of conscious reflection on bodily practices as opposed to simply consuming, focusing on how queer communities and sex workers use IT in their communication and how they try to break usual stereotypes through online and offline actions. A conscious reflection and practice of sexuality can be the way to imagine a different model of “commercialising eros”, mobilising communities, generating advocacy, and more broadly, shaping culture.
The panel is part of reSource Sex, which reflects on the interference and overlapping between sex business and ‘alternative’ porn, aiming to explore and discuss the open interzona which exists in between the often male-oriented mainstream porn, and the more narrow scene of queer and alt porn communities.
Zach Blas is an artist and writer working at the intersections of networked media, queerness, and the political. His on-going project, Queer Technologies, is a collective that produces critical applications, tools, and situations for queer technological agency, interventions, and social formation. Zach has exhibited at the Foundation for Art and Creative Technology in Liverpool, England, Highways Performance Space in Santa Monica, Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions, Fe Arts gallery in Pittsburgh, File Electronic Language International Festival in Brazil, and the 2010 Arse Elektronika Festival in San Francisco, where he was the recipient of a Prix Ars Elektronica. He has participated in residencies on “Art and Resistance” at the Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, Chiapas, Mexico, “On the Commons; or, Believing-Feeling- Acting Together” at the Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada, and “Devisualize” at the Medialab Prado, Madrid, Spain. Rhizome.org has recently interviewed him, and he has published in a Mínima, E-misférica, Version, and Schlossplatz³ and has articles forthcoming in The Fibreculture Journal, Women’s Studies Quarterly, Reclamations Journal, and networkpolitics.org. His work has been written about in Wired, Canon Magazine, and the South Atlantic Quarterly. He is one of the founding members of the Public School Durham and a PhD student in Literature, Information Science + Information Studies, Visual Studies, and Women?s Studies at Duke University. He also holds an MFA from UCLA, a Post-Baccalaureate certificate from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and a BS from Boston University. Visit www.zachblas.info or www.queertechnologies.info for more information.
Publication:
1972
Language(s):
English
Format:
Still image
Subject(s):
Libraries, Medical
National Library of Medicine (U.S.)
Genre(s):
Photographs
Abstract:
Glowing facade of the National Library of Medicine.
Related Title(s):
Hidden treasure
Extent:
1 photographic print : 21 x 26 cm.
Technique:
color
NLM Unique ID:
101445551
NLM Image ID:
A027493
Permanent Link:
resource.nlm.nih.gov/101445551
NLM Hidden treasure p. 11
Research the history of your house: www.publications.qld.gov.au/dataset/brief-guides-at-qsa/r...
Corinda, an interwar residential suburb, is 9 km south-west of central Brisbane. It was possibly named after a local property owned by Sir Arthur Palmer, which he named after his Corinda pastoral station near Aramac.
Corinda has the Brisbane River as its western boundary and the Oxley Creek on its east. The landscape rises sharply from the river and only a narrow margin of land was flooded in 1893 and 1974. The suburb is slightly more flood prone on the east, mainly near the high school. With hilly ground on the west, it is that part which is generally more favoured in the real estate market.
An early farming family chose the elevated spot now known as Francis Lookout as a cemetery (c1863). The lookout, at the corner of Dewar Terrace and Hilda Street, is listed on the Queensland heritage register. Twelve years later the Brisbane to Ipswich railway line was built through Corinda, and nine years after then a branch line was opened from Corinda to the South Brisbane wharves (Stanley Street). The new line was needed to transport Ipswich coal to the wharves, and Corinda was known as South Brisbane Junction until 1888.
During the 1890s Corinda's social infrastructure took shape with cricket and tennis clubs (1892, 1893) and a school of arts (1895). The Sherwood divisional board met in Corinda. Schools came somewhat later: primary education had been provided in neighbouring Oxley and Sherwood since the 1870s, and it was the Catholic Church which opened the first school in Corinda at Our Lady of Sacred Heart convent in 1917. It is now St Joseph's primary school. The Anglican Church followed with St Aiden's girls' school (1-12) in 1929. State schools were opened in 1927 (Corinda primary) and 1960 (high school). The high school's enrolment peaked at 1590 in 1964.
Most of Corinda was subdivided for housing with recreation areas provided at Dunlop Park on Oxley Road and Nosworthy Park on Oxley Creek. The latter is below flood level, and includes the Corinda bowls club.
A shopping area developed in Oxley Road near the railway station, along with the Corinda Hall and a new Catholic church a short distance north. Housing is a mixture of Queenslanders and early postwar dwellings. The shopping area has maintained its viability with a Coles supermarket and no nearby drive-in to erode its retail catchment. In 2001-02 Corinda recorded the second highest rise for metropolitan house prices, slightly behind Manly. The best locations are west of the railway line with views to Mount Coot-tha.
Corinda history: Queensland Places – Corinda
Format:
Still image
Extent:
1 photoprint.
NLM Unique ID:
101443883
NLM Image ID:
A016163
Permanent Link:
McRae Fire reducing fuel loads as it moves across the forest floor.The Sitgreaves Fire Complex was being managed for resource benefit. Williams district. 7-24-14. Photo taken by Brandon Oberhardt. Credit the U.S. Forest Service, Southwestern Region, Kaibab National Forest.
Research the history of your house: www.publications.qld.gov.au/dataset/brief-guides-at-qsa/r...
Goodna, an outer eastern suburb of Ipswich, is on the south side of the Brisbane River (opposite Priors Pockett, Moggill), 13 km from the centre of Ipswich. Its eastern boundary is the Woogaroo Creek, and when the village site for Goodna was proclaimed in 1856 it was known as Woogaroo.
The Brisbane River was explored by John Oxley as far upstream as Goodna in 1824 and again by Edmund Lockyer in 1825. There are extensive beds of sandstone (the Woogaroo Subgroup) at Goodna, and Commandant Patrick Logan had building material quarried there in 1826. Stone was again quarried for the 1880s building boom.
Agricultural settlement moved inland along the Brisbane River valley and the Goodna village was allocated a post office in 1862. It was on the Ipswich – Brisbane telegraph link by late 1864. A Congregational church was opened in 1863 and a primary school in 1870.
When the railway line from Ipswich to Brisbane was opened in stages during 1874-75, Goodna was one of the original stations; in fact, a ceremony for turning the first sod was held in Goodna in 1873.
Apart from the usual farm occupations and tradespeople in a country town, Goodna had the Woogaroo asylum (site reserved 1861), coal mining to the west and quarrying. A quarry in Stuart Street supplied stone for a new Catholic church (1881) designed by Andrea Stombuco. Named St Patrick's, the church was renamed St Francis Xavier in 1924, and it is listed on the Queensland heritage register. A former Sisters of Mercy convent (1911) and a primary school (1910) adjoin it. The church became the nucleus of a new village, up from the flood-prone river bank.
There were also several friendly societies and Goodna Jockey Club. The racecourse was east of the present Gailes railway station, indicating that Goodna extended well beyond its present boundary which runs along Woogaroo Creek. Goodna's main civic precinct is along Church Street, including the Presbyterian church (1915, demolished in controversial circumstances in 2006) at the north end, the Catholic church, the war memorial, several heritage houses and the Police barracks. A school of arts was burnt down.
In 1924 the sporting community formed a local golf club, choosing land next to the railway line in the direction of Brisbane. It is now the Gailes golf course, immediately west of the former racecourse. Postwar urbanisation of the fringe of metropolitan Brisbane, along with urbanisation along the railway east of Ipswich, positioned Goodna as a location for the Westside Christian College (1977), a P-12 school with an enrolment of over 780 by 2002. The Ipswich motorway brought vehicular commuting to Goodna, and a drive-in shopping centre (1987) was built away from it, but close enough to be within earshot. It has a supermarket and 48 shops.
Whilst the Catholic church is the architecturally notable building, there were four Protestant congregations all with their own buildings. Hotels have not survived in their original numbers, only the Royal Mail remaining. The Woogaroo asylum is now the John Oxley Hospital in Wacol.
Goodna has the Woogaroo Creek and smaller streams that pass through its built-up area. When the Brisbane River flooded in January 2011 its waters covered a swathe of the Ipswich Motorway and three tongues of lower-lying land. These included the shopping centres west of Queens Street, the floodway east of the (high and dry) Catholic school, and the floodplain on the Woogaroo Creek (including adjacent houses). About 300 houses were flooded.
Goodna history: Queensland Places – Goodna
Architect: Unknown
Location: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
Don't know anything about this place. It just caught my eye as I was driving by. It looks like it may have been a school at one time, and has now been converted into a resource centre for job training, public assistance, etc. Not sure, though. It was Sunday and closed when I was there.
Date: December 2023
Medium: Digital Photomontage
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Dimensions: 15” x 20”
© 2023 Tony DeVarco
Credit: "Japanese women", half-length studio portrait, facing slightly right" (detail). Stillfried & Andersen, publisher. Albumen, hand-colored with watercolor; 24.5 x 19.6 cm (image), 29.6 x 38.5 (mount). ca. 1877. Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. Rights Advisory: No known restrictions. Downloaded from: www.loc.gov/resource/cph.3g14303/
Information on Baron Raimund von Stillfried: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Raimund_von_Stillfried
twitter.com/Martinalove78/status/1530058232538009607
This resource posted is for digital art and design, personal and commercial projects, digital learning, and more. All design content is from external sources from around the web.
VH Produce owner Vue Her is a Hmong farmer on a 10-acre field, who grows several Asian specialty crops in Singer, CA, near Fresno, on November 9, 2018. He has worked with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) to implement many conservation improvements, including help replacing an old tractor for a more efficient lower emission tractor and installation of seasonal high tunnels.
Growing up on a farm and learning the skills was just not possible for Vue Her who was born to farmer parents in a refugee camp in Thailand. He could not put into practice all the farming skills they used in Laos. General schooling in the refugee camps was minimal. At the age of 15, he started working a variety of odd jobs and work as a craftsman in the camp. This 'on the job' experience taught him an appreciation for hard work, and he took pride in being able to contribute to his family. There he married and started his own family.
Eager to work, he started with Foster Farms as a janitor. Then he stocked produce at an Asian grocery store. He kept working hard and saved his money. After years of factory work, he started his farm operation on leased land, in 2011, with plans to buy his own land in two years.
As a young man with a growing family, starting a farm in the United States was a big challenge and he knew he needed help. While listening to a local Asian language radio station, he heard NRCS soil conservationist Sam Vang’s NRCS radio program (in the Hmong language). Producer Vue Her said, “I am a big fan of the program and without the NRCS radio program, I don’t think I knew USDA programs.” (Note: The radio station is no longer producing the program.)
Farming, in the beginning, was hard and not efficient for Vue Her because he had to wait to use a borrowed tractor. This caused the soil to be worked out of schedule, causing the harvest to be out of the schedule for the farmer's markets where he sells his produce. To stay on schedule and meet market needs he purchased his own tractor that was supported by the USDA through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) program. www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/national/programs/...
He quickly learned from Sam Vang that the farming practices his parents used are different from the standard practices in the US. Soil conservationist Sam Vue helped him learn about soil conservation, management skills, business knowledge, and time management. Some examples of this are the practice of rotating the crops in each plot to promote soil health and using standardized tractor attachment settings to save time and effort. For this Mr. Her says, "I'm happy to be part of NRCS programs and to know the staff. I have less stress, and I'm thankful for the farm management skills. Whenever I have a question, I call Sam."
The EQIP program also helped him purchase two seasonal high tunnels so that they can grow dozens of different varieties of Asian vegetable in the long arched plastic wrapped structures. In the tunnels, many of the vegetables are planted as seeds and are very sensitive to either frost or heat. High tunnels also helped him to maintain steady production and income year-round.
As a family business, his workforce is his seven children who pitch in after school. Each week, they push to pick, clean and box the produce just before the weekend markets. Today, wife Mai Houa Yang, son Bee Her, and daughter Chai Her harvest peanuts for sale tomorrow.
"I appreciate being able to produce traditional vegetables for other cultures, says Mr. Her. "I feel good about working hard and being accepted in the community of growers and by my customers."
When asked, what is a good day? He laughs, every day is the best day because I spend more time on the farm than at home.
USDA Photo by Lance Cheung.