View allAll Photos Tagged Overlander
Georgetown Texas Photography Festival
Town Square
Georgetown, TX
March 16, 2019
Pentax *ist D + Kodak Duaflex II
Model 90 - the thrift car. From "The Literary Digest", 5-11-1918.
See other WW I - related documents at flic.kr/s/aHskh3niWh.
Photo credit Bob Gundersen -(www.flickr.com/photos/bobphoto51/albums)
c.2.1979 Lynton - South Australia AN motorail wagon on rear of The Overland (Roger Billett rb-n08-09)
Ursa Minor Vehicles nifty ecamper, a great conversion for a Honda Element. www.ursaminorvehicles.com/camper.htm
To situate it basically, Overlanding is a vehicle-based, on-road and off-road, adventure journey with a focus on self-reliance, flexibility, and enjoyment of the journey.
Wagga Wagga. Population 57,000. Catholic Cathedral city.
Captain Charles Sturt came down the Murrumbidgee River at the site of Wagga in 1829 and the first pastoral property was established here in 1832 by Robert Best who called his property Wagga Wagga after the local Aboriginal word for crows. The Aboriginal inhabitants of this area called the river Murrumbidgee meaning “big water”. In 1847 a police station and small court was established at this river crossing at Wagga on the road from Yass to Port Phillip. This was to offer protection and a police presence for travellers, local pastoralists and the overland mails. The town was formally gazetted in November 1849. But it grew slowly with the first store not opening until 1851. By 1858 river boats had reached Wagga Wagga up the Murrumbidgee River from the river ports of South Australia and a local company was formed, with approval of the NSW government, to construct a toll bridge across the Murrumbidgee which was completed 1862. The town expanded slowly in the 1860s and 1870s and this was a period when bushrangers operating in the Riverina were causing mayhem and anxiety. The town was proclaimed a municipality in 1870 when the first Mayor took office. The two most famous bushrangers around Wagga in its early years were Mad Dog Morgan (in the 1860s) and Captain Moonlight (in the 1870s). Eventually the railway reached Wagga North in 1878. It took over a year to extend it into Wagga as this required a 2,500 metre wooden rail bridge across the Murrumbidgee River. The Wagga Wagga railway station was built and opened in 1881 thus opening up this area of the Riverina to more wheat farming. Although selectors could opt to select farming acreage in areas around Wagga Wagga from the early 1860s they were reluctant to do so until the railway reached the town. Up to 1881 when the railway from Sydney reached Wagga about 5,000 acres of wheat was grown. By 1891 that figure had increased to 60,000 acres under wheat. Access to the Sydney markets was vital to agricultural expansion in the Riverina and agricultural expansion led to urban development of Wagga. Wagga’s population jumped from 4,000 people in 1881 to 5,100 in 1891 which was a 27% increase and it became the “capital” of the Riverina region. In the second half of the 19th century some of Wagga’s grand buildings were erected including a new Anglican Church, Catholic Cathedral, a Wesleyan Methodist church etc. At this stage major buildings were in Fitzmaurice and Tarcutta Streets. Nearby were many grand residences. The classical style original Council Chambers were built in 1881. They are now the Museum of the Riverina.
Today Wagga Wagga is the largest inland city in New South Wales with 57,000 inhabitants. Its growth was propelled by World War Two when a RAAF base was established in 1940 followed by an Army base in 1942. The RAAF base still exists today and the Army base is an army training center. The NSW government established a teachers’ college in Wagga in 1947 and an agricultural college in 1949. These institutions eventually grew into Charles Sturt University which specialises in education, business, arts science, agriculture, veterinary science, nursing, radiography etc. The government also made Wagga Base hospital the major hospital for southern NSW and a new seven storey hospital was erected in 1963. This was replaced in 2015 with a new 460 bed hospital, almost as big as the new RAH in Adelaide, but at a fraction of the cost at just $600 million.
Wagga Wagga Characters.
Sir Roger Tichborne Claimant. Sir Roger Tichborne disappeared at sea in 1854. His mother believing her son might still be alive placed advertisements in Australian newspaper. In late 1865 Wagga butcher Tom Castro approached a Wagga lawyer claiming the baronetcy and its fortune. The lawyer wrote to Lady Tichborne in England who was anxious to find her lost son and paid for Castro to visit her in England in 1866. Despite being shorter and not able to speak French Lady Tichborne welcomed him as her lost son. When she died in 1868 other family members declared Castro was an imposter. The first civil court trial lasted from May 1871 to March 1872. “Tichborne” and the lawyers and judges involved became international celebrities. A six month perjury trial began in 1873. Castro (originally Orton of London) was found guilty of perjury and sentenced to 14 years in goal. For three years the press had been full of this story with its 36,000 cross examination questions. Ceramic and plaster casts of the figures involved were produced in France and in England. Wagga Wagga Museum of the Riverina has some examples in their collection and more details of this saga. Other examples are at Oxford University and the Brighton City Museum in England. Ebay has hundreds of Tichborne trial saga items for sale, mainly prints and photos. Perhaps Australia’s interest is much less than that in England where several books from the 1870s through to 2007 have been published on the “affair”. In 2002 a glass plate on the Tichborne trial was offered for sale at auction in Australia with an auction the estimate of $450-$650. Alas for the owner it sold for just $60.
Sister Mary Ligouri. Nun on the Run. This amazing story of the times occurred in 1920 when 30 year old Irish Sister Mary Ligouri in the Wagga Catholic Convent was demoted from her teaching roles to cleaning. In anger and frustration she fled the convent and sheltered with neighbours but freely returned to the convent later that day. A doctor was called and he tried to sedate her but she feared she was being poisoned. She fled the nunnery in her night gown to some supportive Protestant neighbours. They refused to reveal her whereabouts to Catholic authorities. The Sister wrote to the Bishop of Wagga asking to leave the order but that was refused. She was taken to Sydney to live with a Congregational minister and his wife. The newspapers had a field day and referred to her as the escaped nun. Police issued a warrant for her arrest and Catholic authorities were searching for her. The Bishop of Sydney wanted her arrested as he said she was insane. 14 months after her escape she was tried in the NSW Lunacy Court. She was declared a sane person and released. She sued bishop Dwyer of Wagga Wagga for £5,000 for false arrest and trauma but the male jury at her court case ruled in favour of the Archbishop. A few months later a party of 20 men kidnapped her and took her to police headquarters in Sydney. The former sister renounced her religion and refused to be put under the guardianship of her catholic brother. She was released and lived the rest of life with the Congregational couple. She died in 1966. Wagga Art Gallery had an exhibition of her life in 2021. Visit the Art Gallery in the Civic Centre which also has the Tichborne collection.
Wagga Wagga Buildings walk starting in Baylis St. opposite the Old Council Chambers.
1. Victory Memorial Gardens walk. This was the old police paddock and barracks. After World War One citizens wanted a war memorial and work began on the memorial garden plan in 1928. World War One was a major event in Wagga as elsewhere and in December 1915 a Kangaroo March left from Wagga to the army recruiting barracks in Sydney like other Kangaroo Marches across NSW and the other states. The march from Wagga was the longest in the state and began with 88 men who lived off the road as they marched and as they gathered more potential recruits for the armed forces. Their numbers had swollen to around 220 men by the time they reached the outskirts of Sydney. The first such march in NSW was the Cooee march from Gilgandra which started in October 1915 and even South Australia had a Cooee march which began in Edithburgh and gained 170 recruits. The cenotaph in Wagga was erected in 1922 and the memorial arch in 1926 although work only began on the garden plan in 1928. The Eternal Flame was added in 1990. The gas lights date from 1880 and there is a sunken garden to commemorate the work of the pioneers. Outside the park at 38 Morrow St. is a grand Federation house built by a local doctor c 1905. Lots of wood work and an Elizabethan touch with faux wood beams on the upstairs rooms with an oriel window. This was the YMCA at one stage. On the next corner of Morrow and Peter streets is the old Fire Station built in 1903. It is now the Sunflower House. At the end of the street is the lagoon. Cross the bridge straight ahead into Johnston Street. At the roundabout on left is St George’s court mansion. Built in the late 1880s as a doctor’s residence with an arcaded veranda, and tiny bay window on the protruding gable. Turn left along Gurwood St for the Wagga Primary school. A red brick govt. building erected in 1872. Turn around and walk along Gurwood Street to Fitzmaurice Street. There are some nice Art Deco buildings in this part of Gurwood Street. Turn right into Fitzmaurice Street.
2. Wagga Courthouse and Fitzmaurice area walk.
The old Courthouse building and tower is imposing as Courthouses often are. The first Courthouse in Wagga was a slab hut erected in 1847. A more solid Courthouse was built in 1856 and a third in 1862. The current impressive Courthouse was built in 1902 complete with clock in the tower. The government architect who specialised in courthouse designed was Walter Liberty Vernon. It is in the Federation style with a Vernon wooden air vane on the roof. See the marvellous cast iron air vents low in the walls with the British Crown designed into them and the cement crowns on the top of the pillars beside the main entry. The former Commercial Banking Co of Sydney Bank is another classical Victorian building erected in 1882. Arched verandas, shuttered windows, a triangular pediment above centrally placed entry portico. Lace work iron is on the veranda upstairs which was the bank manager’s residence. Next door is the former Post Office which is another grand building of Fitzmaurice Street built for the Riverina climate with six arched veranda columns with perfect symmetry and the upper floor with cast iron veranda posts. Built in 1888. Across the street is the old Union bank with a three storey corner tower on Johnson St. Built in 1884 in Italian style with ground floor rooms with arched window surrounds and upper floor with rectangular ones. In 1951 it became and ANZ Bank but now has other uses. As you turn left from Fitzmaurice St into Johnston Street again you can see on the corner the School of Arts building in Edwardian style built in 1901. On the corner of Johnston and Tarcutta Streets is the Wesley Uniting Church (1949 replacing an 1877 church), formerly Methodist. On the right is the two storey Department of Lands building constructed around 1880. If you turn left along Tarcutta Street at the end near Sturt St is the site of the first Wagga School until the new school opened in 1872 in Johnston St. The building became a residence and finally in 1881 it became a gentlemen’s club – The Riverine Club. Sadly the ground floor windows are now Art Deco in style but it is till the Riverine Club. Return to Johnston St. and turn left. Further along Johnston Street is St Michael’s Catholic Cathedral. The impressive sandstone Catholic Church was erected in 1887 as a parish church. When it became the Catholic Cathedral in 1917 plans were drawn up to enlarge it which occurred between 1922 and 1925. Mass times are 10 am and 5:30 pm so it will be open between these times. Turn right at the corner into church St. Here is the Catholic Presbytery which was built in 1871 and enlarged in Federation style in 1900. It became the Bishop’s palace in 1917. Next left in Church St is St John’s Anglican Church. The original Anglican Church of 1850 was replaced with a new grand Gothic structure in 1870s. The nave was completed by 1876 and side aisles, vestibule and tower were added in 1912. It has magnificent stained glass windows inside if you can enter. Service time is 9 am. Across the street is the high spire of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. This tower was added in 1915. The Presbyterian Church with its steeply pitched roof was completed in 1869 and its two storey manse, next to the Catholic Bishop’s palace was built in 1890. Turn right here and then left into Tarcutta St again. You will see the Civic Centre and the National Glass Museum is here. Turn right into Morrow St. and your walk ends at the old Council Chambers with the brightly coloured Greek triangular pediment. This historic building built in 1818 is now one of the Riverina Museum sites with Tichborne items. Opposite is the Victory Memorial Park.
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Missouri
Kansas City (abbreviated KC or KCMO) is the largest city in Missouri by population and area. As of the 2020 census, the city had a population of 508,090 in 2020, making it the 36th most-populous city in the United States. It is the most populated municipality and historic core city of the Kansas City metropolitan area, which straddles the Kansas–Missouri state line and has a population of 2,392,035. Most of the city lies within Jackson County, with portions spilling into Clay, Cass, and Platte counties. Kansas City was founded in the 1830s as a port on the Missouri River at its confluence with the Kansas River coming in from the west. On June 1, 1850, the town of Kansas was incorporated; shortly after came the establishment of the Kansas Territory. Confusion between the two ensued, and the name Kansas City was assigned to distinguish them soon after.
Sitting on Missouri's western boundary with Kansas, with Downtown near the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers, the city encompasses about 319.03 square miles (826.3 km2), making it the 23rd largest city by total area in the United States. It serves as one of the two county seats of Jackson County, along with the major suburb of Independence. Other major suburbs include the Missouri cities of Blue Springs and Lee's Summit and the Kansas cities of Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, and Kansas City, Kansas.
The city is composed of several neighborhoods, including the River Market District in the north, the 18th and Vine District in the east, and the Country Club Plaza in the south. Celebrated cultural traditions include Kansas City jazz, theater, which was the center of the Vaudevillian Orpheum circuit in the 1920s, the Chiefs and Royals sports franchises, and famous cuisine based on Kansas City-style barbecue, Kansas City strip steak, and craft breweries.
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Union_Station
Kansas City Union Station (station code: KCY) is a union station opened in 1914, serving Kansas City, Missouri, and the surrounding metropolitan area. It replaced a small Union Depot from 1878. Union Station served a peak annual traffic of more than 670,000 passengers in 1945 at the end of World War II, quickly declined in the 1950s, and was closed in 1985.
In 1996, a public–private partnership undertook Union Station's $250 million restoration, funded in part by a sales tax levied in both Kansas and Missouri counties in the Kansas City metropolitan area. By 1999, the station reopened as a series of museums and other public attractions. In 2002, Union Station saw its return as a train station when Amtrak began providing public transportation services and has since become Missouri's second-busiest train station. The refurbished station boasts theaters, ongoing museum exhibits, and attractions such as the Science City at Union Station, the Irish Museum and Cultural Center, and the Todd Bolender Center for Dance and Creativity. Since 2016, it is also a stop on the KC Streetcar.
600,000 Overlands had been sold, according this ad in the April 26, 1919 issue of Country Gentleman magazine.
The Overland was built in Toledo, Ohio.
The art is so good that a large view is rewarding.
Waiting for the Greyhound at Overlander Roadhouse.
It was a brilliantly peaceful but intense sunset.
This car took part in the Lancashire Automobile Club's annual Manchester to Blackpool Veteran and Vintage Car Run in June 1991, and is pictured in the Exchange Station car park before the start of the Run. It's a 1916 Willys Overland Tourer, and the only information about it in the programme of the event is that it had a 4-cylinder 35hp engine and was entered by Dr M F Rudge of Ashton-in-Makerfield. The Overland Automobile Company was founded in 1903 by Claude Cox in Terre Haute, Indiana, and in 1905 moved to Indianapolis. In 1908 the Company was bought by John Willys and it was renamed the Willys-Overland Motor Company.