View allAll Photos Tagged Associate
Associated special postmark used for only a single day (11.1.1942) showing a posthorn with the initials "RdP" - 'Reich Union of Philatelists'. An estimated 133 towns used this postmark MiNr. 0784 6999 M Postmarks of 1942.
------------------------
GS fejs:
Corian molded parts seamed over marine plywood structural frames.
Fabrication by Associated Fabrication.
Design by Pedestrian Studio + Inform Design.
Aspirated erythrocytes associated with upper airway hemorrhage. Most have been engulfed by macrophages; others are free-floating in air spaces. Very recent because no hemosiderin present.
Image contributed by Dr. Yale Rosen - @yro854
While I'm not a fan of hotels with women names I like them better than those containing traditional words - Park, City, Square and likes.
This were one of few shots from Rollei Prego 30 with film I unloaded from Minox 35 midroll after I discovered my repair attempt isn't too successful and shutter isn't closing (but I still got some pictures before problem returned). My Prego 30 overexposes - I learned this from previous rolls so I modified DX code of Paradies 100 (Kodak Gold?) film to ISO200 and think this is the way to use it.
Norwood, Bronx
The Williamsbridge Reservoir Keeper's House is the only surviving building in New York City associated with the Bronx and Byram Rivers water system. Particularly between 1884 and 1906, this system served the critical function of supplying the burgeoning western section of the Bronx and helped the city to bridge the gap in the years between the construction of the Old and New Croton Aqueducts. The Bronx River portion of the system was constructed between 1880 and 1889, under the supervision of George W. Birdsall, chief engineer of the Croton Aqueduct in the New York City Department of Public Works.
The fifteen-mile Bronx River pipeline was completed in 1884, but the Williamsbridge Reservoir was not finished until 1889. The Keeper's House, located at the northeast end of the reservoir, was constructed in 1889-90 by contractor Terence A. Smith. L-shaped in plan, the two-and-a-half-story house is built of rock-faced, variegated gray-tan gneiss ashlar with smooth, speckled-gray granite trim, including keyed enframements. In 1925, when it was no longer needed, the reservoir was drained; it was later converted into a playground. The Keeper's House, after five decades as a private residence, was purchased in 1998 by the Mosholu Preservation Corp., a non-profit organization active in neighborhood improvement in Norwood.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
The Water Suoolv of New York Citv in the Nineteenth The Bronx and Bvram Rivers Water Supply System
Until the mid-nineteenth century, New York City did not have an adequate and reliable source of fresh water. Citizens were forced to subsist on water from the Collect pond, various wells and pumps, and cisterns. But the serious pollution of these water sources, which were sometimes linked with diseases and epidemics, along with general civic filth and periodic fires exacerbated by lack of water, posed major problems. These were especially aggravated by the rapid growth of the population. Manhattan island, moreover, is located amidst saltwater estuaries, presenting substantial obstacles to bringing in potable water.
As early as 1798, several plans were advanced to divert water from the Bronx River to Manhattan, but these were not implemented. After decades of discussion, an independent Water Commission was authorized by the state legislature in 1834 to plan and construct a water system. The city finally obtained a supply of fresh water in 1842 through the gravity-fed Croton Aqueduct, which was begun in 1837 and completed in 1848. An innovative engineering achievement, an outstanding (if expensive) public works project, and one of the first major municipal water systems in the United States, the Croton Aqueduct was planned under chief engineer David B. Douglass, the leading proponent of the Croton River as water source, but built under chief engineer John B. Jervis.
Water emanating from the Croton River and Reservoir in Westchester County, N.Y., traveled 41 miles through an embanked tunnel, across the High Bridge over the Harlem River/ to a receiving reservoir in what later became Central Park and then to a distributing reservoir at Fifth Avenue and West 42nd Street. An additional water supply system became a municipal necessity after the Civil War with the explosion of the city's population, accompanied by the emergence of indoor plumbing and ever-increasing water usage. However, attempts were first made to increase the capacity of the water flow of the existing Croton system, and extensions were constructed. These included a new receiving reservoir in Central Park, alterations to the High Bridge, and the High Bridge Water Tower and reservoir/ A hydrographic survey of the Croton River watershed in 1857-58 resulted in plans for fourteen additional reservoirs outside the city; this plan was mostly carried out between 1866 and 1911. The (Old) Croton Aqueduct remained the city's principal source of water until 1890.
In 1870, the New York City Department of Public Works was established under Commissioner William M. ("Boss") Tweed, and the Croton Aqueduct came within its jurisdiction. After Tweed's conviction on various graft charges in 1873, the department was headed by Allan Campbell, who promoted a plan to utilize the Bronx and Byram Rivers as the next municipal water source. Of immediate concern was the development and water needs of the western portion of the Bronx, formerly part of Westchester County, annexed as the 23"* and 24* Wards of New York City on January 1,1874. Opponents of Campbell's plan, led by reformers in the Union League Club and others, fearing further departmental corruption, advocated a New Croton Aqueduct under the control of an independent commission. Droughts in 1876-77 and 1880-81 added to anxieties about the adequacy of the city's water. Eventually, both systems were constructed, but the more modest and less expensive Bronx and Byram plan was the first one to be implemented, due largely to strained municipal financial circumstances after the Tweed years and the Panic of 1873.
The proposed scheme consisted of dams and reservoirs to be built across the Byram River in Connecticut, and, in Westchester County, across the Bronx River at Kensico, and at Rye Ponds. The plan also included tapping Byram Pond and digging a channel connecting the two rivers. Construction of the Bronx River portion of this gravity-fed system began in October 1880, under the supervision of Ceorge W. Birdsall, chief engineer of the Croton Aqueduct in the Dept. of Public Works. The Bronx River pipeline, consisting of a 48-inch cast-iron pipe, began service in 1884 and carried water fifteen miles from Kensico to the site of the planned reservoir near Willi amsbridge.
The Bronx River portion of this water system was completed in 1889, while the Byram River portion was delayed until 1891 -97 due to complications in acquiring land. Particularlybetween 1884 and 1906, the Bronx and Byram Rivers water system served the critical function of supplying water to the burgeoning western section of the Bronx. (Part of the eastern section of the Bronx was annexed to the city in 1895, and the entire borough became part of New York City in 1898.) It thus helped to bridge the gap in the years between the construction of the Old and New Croton Aqueducts, and facilitated the rapid development of the Bronx, especially the construction of taller buildings, which needed greater water pressure. This could not have occurred without an adequate water supply.
The Williamsbridge Reservoir and Keeper's House " The use of the name Williams' Bridge for this area dates back to before the American Revolution. It is said to have come from John Williams, owner of a farm adjacent to the bridge carrying the Boston Post Road over the Bronx River since the late seventeenth century. A settlennt called Williamsbridge eventually grew up around the bridge and was the location of a station on the New York & Harlem Railroad in 1842. The city acquired land located to the west of the village, on a ridge called Gun Hill, for the Williamsbridge Reservoir in August 1882. This included part of the farm associated with the Valentine-Varian House (1758) and land owned by Amanda Bussing and the Estate of John Bussing.' This location is bounded by Woodlawn Centery (opened in 1865) and Van Cortlandt Park to the north, the Bronx River to the east, the Mosholu Parkway to the west, and Bronx Park to the south. The city acquired the above-nntioned parkland in 1888.
Though the Dept. of Public Works started plans for the reservoir in 1880, a construction contract was not signed until June 1884. The contractor was Sullivan & Moore. In September 1884, the Bronx River pipeline was finished and supplied water to the city, running under Putnam Place and terminating at the site; however, the reservoir was not completed for several more years. The (?Marter/y Rpo/ty of the Dept. of Public Works contain complaints about the slowness of the reservoir contractor's construction work and annua! cessations because of severe winter weather. The oval reservoir was surrounded by an earthen and stone embanknnt, with the bottom covered with concrete. The interior was completed at the end of 1888. As reported by Stephen Jenkins in 77tg Jfory #/vnjt (1912), "water was admitted into the reservoir on December 4,1888, and the distribution of the water to the Annexed District was begun. The reservoir has a capacity of 150,000,000 gallons when it is filled to a depth of forty fect...."' Chief engineer BirdsaH noted then that "it will take next year to complete and sod the outside bank of this reservoir, erect the necessary fences and complete the roads around same.'"* The receiving and distributing reservoir was filled and in full use by the fall of 1889, and was completed at the end of that year. The cost had been nearly $524,000.
Plans for a Reservoir Keeper's House, to be built of stone with a comer tower, were drawn up by architect Douglas Smyth.'* Apparently, this proposal was scrapped in favor of a less elaborate building. Plans for a two-and-a-half-story stone house, to be located at the northeast end of the reservoir, were approved by Birdsall in February 1889, and a contract was signed in March with building contractor Terence A.Smith. Construction began in September 1889, the exterior stonework was finished by March 1890, and the house was completed in June. The total cost was $8749. shaped in plan, the house is built of rock-faced, variegated gray-tan gneiss ashlar with smooth, speckled-gray granite trim, and embellished by keyed enframennts. The house originally had three wooden porches. Straightforward and massive, the stone house follows the tradition of building stone structures for both Croton Aqueducts. The Williamsbridge Reservoir Keeper's House is the only surviving building in New York City associated with the Bronx and Byram Rivers water supply system.
The first reservoir keeper, whose job it was to maintain and guard the reservoir, was Irish immigrant Matthew Mallahan (1834-1913), in this position from 1890 to about 1911. Mallahan came to the United States in 1875, was a Bronx hotel keeper and liquor dealer in the 1880s, and lived here with several relatives. The house also contained a first-story office for the keeper.
Later History
The Bronx and Byram Rivers water system played a brief but significant role in supplying water to New York City. Shortly after its completion, this system was surpassed by the more extensive New Croton Aqueduct. Constructed between 1885 and 1907 under chief engineers Benjamin S. Church and Alphonse Fteley for the New York City Aqueduct Commission, the New Croton Aqueduct was put into service in 1890. The Jerome Park Reservoir (1895-1906), the New Croton's receiving and distributing reservoir located to the west of the Williamsbridge Reservoir, held a much larger volume of water than the earlier one. Eventually, the capacity of New York's water supply was greatly expanded with the Catskill (1907-29) and Delaware River (1937-50s) water systems. The Old Croton Aqueduct ended service to New York City in 1955.
During the early twentieth century, the Williamsbridge Reservoir continued to supply a percentage of the borough's water. The Bronx and Byram Rivers watersheds were merged into the Catskill system in the 1910s. The reservoir was reduced to serve as an emergency backup system after 1919. The water supply was cut off and the reservoir was drained in 1925. After the land was transferred to the Dept. of Parks, the reservoir was converted into Williamsbridge Oval Playground, which opened in 1937 under parks commissioner Robert Moses.
The park served the neighborhood, known since the construction of the reservoir as Norwood, that had been developed largely with apartment buildings after 1905. Montefiore Hospital locatedherein 1913. The Reservoir Keeper's House was abandoned by the city, but plans were made in the 1930s to convert it to a branch library. However, Dr. Isaac H. Barkey, a physicist and engineer, and his wife Dorothy, interested inpurchasing the house, convinced the city to build a new library nearby and acquired the property in 1946. After five decades in residence, the Barkeys sold the house in 1998 to the Mosholu Preservation Corp. A non-profit organization established in 1981 by Montefiore Medical Center to address the problem of housing abandonment and deterioration in the ethnically diverse Norwood neighborhood, the Mosholu Preservation Corp. has been active in neighborhood improvement and publishes the Norwood Mewy community newspaper. Plans are under way to renovate the Keeper's House for use as its offices, for a local meeting facility, and a youth summer employment center. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in September 1999.
Description
The Williamsbridge Reservoir Keeper's House is a two-and-a-half-story, L-shaped building constructed of rock-faced, variegated gray-tan gneiss ashlar, with smooth, speckled-gray granite trim, including the watertable, a band course terminating the second story, and keyed enframements. The rubble stone foundation is currently exposed. The roof has gables at the northern end of the front (west) elevation and at the south elevation. Fenestration is rectangular, except for a small round-arched window in each gable. Windows were originally two-over-two double-hung wood sash; these were replaced (c. 1950s) by multipane metal casements.
Front (west) elevation: This elevation has four bays, two tm each wing. The main entrance originally had a wood paneled door; this was replaced (c.1950s) with an historic decorative metal door from a Manhattan town house. The southernmost bay on the first story originally had a double French window (which was salvaged and is currently in storage); the opening is currently covered. There was originally a wood porch with latticework, posts, and steps; a steel mesh deck was installed (c. 1950s).
Rear (east) elevation: This elevation has four bays on the first story and three bays on the second story. The central entrance originally had a wood paneled door (converted into a window c. 1950s) and a wood porch with latticework, posts, and side steps. Stone steps, flanked by a stone areaway wall, lead to a basement entrance with a solid metal door (c. 1950s). North elevation: This elevation has two bays. The entrance in the eastern bay of the first story originally had a wood paneled door (the lower portion survives in part) and a wood porch with latticework, posts, and steps.
South elevation: This elevation has two bays on the southern end of the building, as well as one bay on the second story of the wing projecting from the northern end.
Roof: The roof, a replacement (c. 1950s) of the original slate roof, is covered in variegated slate shingles, with red tile ridgecap (with end finials), snow guards, and copper gutters. Originally there were two corbeled brick chimneys; the one near the southern end survives, while another at the juncture of the two wings was removed.
Lot: There is an original stone retaining wall along the eastern property line, with portions of a deteriorated pipe railing. A chain-link fence currently surrounds the property.
- From the 2000 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report
R.F. Binnie and Associates Ltd. of Prince George took the top award for Design and Contract Preparation – Roads at the 12th annual Deputy Minister’s Consulting Engineers Awards, for its exceptional work on the Highway 16 Sande-Keith intersection upgrade.
Learn more: news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016TRAN0016-000148
Moore Offenhauser Racing Associates Special (1961) Engine 4100cc S4 Offenhauser
Entrant: The Louwman Collection
Driver: Static display
By the early 1960's the Indianapolis Roadster had evolved into a sleek and powerful racer. The driver sitting low and canted lay down engines.
This car was driven by Roger McCluskey, making his Indianapolis debut in 1961. McCluskey went on to compete in the 18 consequative Indianapolis 500 races.
The days of the front engined Roadster was limited, in 1961 Jack Brabham debuted a Cooper the first post war rear engined. 1961 was also the 50th anniversary of the race and the first race to run on the completly (except for the single yard of bricks, deliberatly left exposed) ) on asphalt
Goodwood Ref: 12-82
Shot at The Goodwood Festival of Speed 01:07:2011 Ref: 76-457
Please do not forget to visit the Flag Counter on the link above to record a visit from your country. So far 53 countries (last new country Luxembourg and 32 US states last new State Michigan) Last new overseas visitor USA last new US state visitor Massachusetts
.
Associate Professor of Physics James Kelly physics lab works with atomic discharge tubes and spectroscopes on April 28, 2016.
Walmart associates gathered in the Hyper Building on the University of Arkansas campus to practice dance moves, enjoy activities and spend time together. The associates traveled to Fayetteville, Ark. to attend the 2011 Walmart Shareholders' Meeting. To watch the replay of the event, view videos, and join the conversation, visit www.walmartstores.com/shareholdersmeeting
Walmart associates gathered in the Hyper Building on the University of Arkansas campus to practice dance moves, enjoy activities and spend time together. The associates traveled to Fayetteville, Ark. to attend the 2011 Walmart Shareholders' Meeting. To watch the replay of the event, view videos, and join the conversation, visit www.walmartstores.com/shareholdersmeeting
with pull down stairs, lights, shear walls, acess door and vent fans. I think their kids want to live up there!
Associate Professor of Music Dennis Siebenaler shares information about the College of Music during Welcome to California State University, Fullerton Day.
Anarchists have been associated with May Day in Melbourne for 126 years with the formation of the Melbourne Anarchist Club on May 1st, 1886 while a huge labor demonstration was about to occurr in Chicago. The anarchist Chummy Fleming chaired the first May Day public meeting on the Yarra Bank in 1892. Anarchists continue to be part of the tradition of May Day in Melbourne.
In 2012 a small commemoration was held in front of Her Majesties Theatre where the MAC held it's first meeting in a first floor office on May 1, 1886. But the main public event was a gathering at the Melbourne 8 hour day monument. The gathering then held a vary anarchic march through the streets of Melbourne, going past the Police Remand Centre, the Law Courts where Max Brenner protestors are defending their right to protest in court, the Reserve Bank of Australia, several of the big 4 bank branches, and the Victorian parliament on Spring Street, before ending back at the 8 hour day monument, opposite Melbourne Trades Hall.
The march was relatively small, perhaps 50 people, and soon attracted a 20 strong police escort. The best part was the music being pumped out of the sound system on the support vehicle. It made a long and potentially boring march into something a little bit more bearable.
Just like on May Day 2001 I had the feeling the ghost of Chummy Flemming accompanied us on the march and benevolently smiled at all the young people keeping the spirit of anarchism alive, even though fashions and music have drastically changed. He would have been chuffed at Jacob Grech's speech today at the Eight hour day monument.
Corian molded parts seamed over marine plywood structural frames. The whitish strips in between the blue sections are glow-in-the-dark acrylic.
Fabrication by Associated Fabrication.
Design by Pedestrian Studio + Inform Design.
Associated Stairlifts offer rental service for the majority of straight staircases.
There are numerous attractive advantages to stairlift rental .To know more please visit us at www.associatedstairlifts.co.uk/
Each year our associates in Cincinnati, Ky. attend the "Mardi Gras for Homeless Children" event which benefits several Greater Cincinnati agencies that serve homeless, runaway and crisis youth. The event is organized by the Northern Kentucky Restaurant Association.
It is the mid - to late 1920s and in Birmingham, one of Britain's great industrial cities that, although the nation's economy is spluttering, the city is relatively fortunate that it is the home to some of the growing trades of the day; motor manufacturing and the numerous associated businesses along with many other of the 'new' light industries. This helped the city expand and develop, like many other British towns and cities, and it is a period of great suburban expansion as new homes, both council and privately built, mushroom in the once green fields of the city's outer areas. To help the prospective buyer, likely from the growing middle class blue or white collar workers, one of the the city's "specialists in the building of labour-saving homes", Ernest Mason & Co. Ltd. of New Street, Birmingham, (Directors Ernest Mason and T.A. Twyman) have produced a small booklet; it gives details of their houses that are purchasable by payment of a small deposit and the lowest possible weekly repayments over a minimum period like so many other properties constructed by speculative builders.
Mason's properties shown are in two areas of the city's suburbs. Already completed is an estate of semi-detached homes in the Hall Green area, centred around Sarehole Road, Delamare Road and Kedleston Road. These recently open fields are now a 'pleasant' suburb and conveniently served by the Corporation's newly expanding motor bus system. The booklet gives details of the specification, services, the indemnity against road making charges (some borough councils demanded that the developer construct roads to a certain standard before the council would 'adopt' them) and the prices and terms.
Mason had also seemingly acquired a site in the north east of the city known here as the "Bromford Park Estate" around Morris Road that was adjacent to Bromford Lane and Washwood Heath Road alongside the famous "Fox & Goose" public house and that was the then terminus of a tram route to the city centre. It also noted that the "Red" bus, the Midland Red bus, also gives access to the 'open country' that such suburbs were rapidly encroaching upon.
The booklet, printed by J. Allan Hanson of Oldham, Lancashire, is not dated but the style is very mid-late 1920s. It also contains numerous adverts for the suppliers of Mason's building activities and so Evos "Columbian Pine Doors" are fitted throughout and the bricks variously came from the Castle Bromwich Brick Co. Ltd. of Ward End and the Little Bromwich Brick Co. Ltd. of Bordesley Green.
Walmart associates enjoyed lunch at Fast Lanes in Northwest Arkansas during an eventful week at the 2011 Walmart Shareholders' Meeting. To join the conversation visit www.walmartshares.com/shareholdersmeeting
Walmart associates gathered in the Hyper Building on the University of Arkansas campus to practice dance moves, enjoy activities and spend time together. The associates traveled to Fayetteville, Ark. to attend the 2011 Walmart Shareholders' Meeting. To watch the replay of the event, view videos, and join the conversation, visit www.walmartstores.com/shareholdersmeeting
The Associated Girls Club of Mohawk Union High School, 1929-1930 school year.
There are 52 girls in this photo by my count (plus three boys in the window). In 1929-1930, 55 girls attended Mohawk Union High School per the school census.
Freshmen:
Eva Bailey, Myrtle Drew, Beth Irish, Violet James, Viola James, Anna Jacques,
Dorris Kincaid, Pearl Koons, Lula Lawton, Margret Mason, Elizabeth Matteson, Ina McKay, Edna Paris, Mattie Hughes, Frances Riddle, Catherine Roberts, Mahala Rockwell, Anna Schruder, Ethel Schruder, Alice Smith, Ellen Smith, Frances Winegar, Mary Wojniack
Sophomores:
Vanieta Acheson, Fay Bates, Hazle Hopkins, Georgia James, Genivieve Merwin, Elizabeth Paris, Nancy Parks, Vinetta Pratt, Vivian Sandgren, Vivian Troxel
Juniors:
Lucille Clearwater, Esther Cowling, Violet Cole, Lula Drew, Shirley Drew, Heilma Hely, Edith Hileman, Ruth Matteson, Doris Morrow, Nellie Schroll, Olive Wilber, Zola Simon
Seniors:
Ruth Bauer, Kate Craiger, Lena Garrison, Ida McBride, Reva Neet, Frances Price, Millicent Schroll, Frances Spicer, Elizabeth Wojniak, Elizabeth Windham
If you can identify which girl is in which place in the photo, or name the three boys in the window, please comment. Also comment if you have information about the "Associated Girls Club" and what it was.
Associate Chief Lenise Lago, District Ranger Mark Sando (Globe Ranger District, Tonto NF), District Ranger Mike Atkinson (Kiowa and Rita Blanca National Grasslands, Cibola NF) and District Ranger Matthew McGrath (Flagstaff District Ranger, Coconino National Forest) participate in a Risk Management 101 exercise. (Forest Service photo by Patricia E. Johnson)
Premier Member of Landscape Design Advisor
Mark Scott and his team design some of the most elegant landscapes and homes in Southern California and beyond.
For more on this member, visit us at www.landscape-design-advisor.com and be sure to follow
Technology for Advanced Neural Prostheses
Dr. Philip Troyk, Illinois Institute of Technology
Dr. Troyk is Associate Dean of Engineering, and a Professor of Biomedical Engineering at the Illinois Institute of Technology; he has a broad range of research interests related to neuroprostheses. Neuroprosthetic devices are implantable electronic modules that interface with the biological nervous system for the purpose of compensating for deficit, or disease, by mimicking normal sensory or motor function. Examples are neuromuscular stimulators for functional electrical stimulation (FES), implantable sensors for FES control, and cortical interfaces in which hundreds or thousands of electrodes sense and stimulate neurons within the central nervous system. The research work is highly interdisciplinary, using engineering principles and technology from electrical, computer, materials, mechanical, and chemical engineering. Design and fabrication of reliable implantable neuroprosthetic devices requires advancements in packaging of implantable electronics (hermetic and polymeric), VLSI integrated circuit design, transcutaneous magnetic coupling of power and data, as well as defining system architectures. His active research projects include development of implantable myoelectric sensors (IMES) for control of prostheses, and wireless transmission of ECoG signals for diagnosis of epilepsy. He is leader of a large multi-institutional team working to develop an intracortical visual prosthesis for individuals with blindness, as well as founder and CEO of Sigenics, Inc – an ASIC design company located in Chicago and Irwindale, CA.
Left to Right: Jason Graham, Lisa Ramos, Pedro Sostre, Jennifer LeClaire, Chris Rivera, Misty McIntosh
Premier Member of Landscape Design Advisor
Mark Scott and his team design some of the most elegant landscapes and homes in Southern California and beyond.
For more on this member, visit us at www.landscape-design-advisor.com and be sure to follow
Associate Chief Lenise Lago addresses the Rangers as Inside the Chief’s Office. (Forest Service photo by Patricia E. Johnson)
Walmart associates gathered in the Hyper Building on the University of Arkansas campus to practice dance moves, enjoy activities and spend time together. The associates traveled to Fayetteville, Ark. to attend the 2011 Walmart Shareholders' Meeting. To watch the replay of the event, view videos, and join the conversation, visit www.walmartstores.com/shareholdersmeeting
see this large on black
My photo stream on black pix.garethwong.com
===
by @GarethWong
panel's video: youtu.be/Fr42p-nnMtY
David Goodhart, Head of the Demography, Immigration and Integration Unit and Director of the Integration Hub, Policy Exchange
Speakers
Percy Barnevik, Honorary Chairman, Hand in Hand
Sir Paul Collier, Senior Fellow, Milken Institute; Professor of Economics and Public Policy, Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford
Begüm Doğan Faralyali, President, Doğan Holding
Dominik Hangartner, Associate Professor, London School of Economics; Co-Director, Immigration Policy Lab
The Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF) are an independent ‘craft’ union that represents the interests of railway train drivers and locomotive firemen. Other railway workers and administrative staff were represented by different trade unions with no direct connections to ASLEF. As such, members of ASLEF saw themselves as an elite within a hierarchy of railway workers having special status and highly paid in comparison.
ASLEF was founded in 1880 and today remain an independent trade union with some 18,500 members throughout Britain. Anyone know what year the Scottish District Council was established?
.
References:
www.aslef.org.uk/information/100011/102822/history_of_aslef/ (History of ASLEF).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Society_of_Locomotive_En...
www.unionancestors.co.uk/ASLEF.htm
.
Enamels: 4 (dark blue, light blue, red & green).
Finish: Chrome plated.
Material: Brass.
Fixer: Pin.
Size: 1 1/8” x 1 5/16” (28mm x 34mm).
Process: Die stamped.
Imprint: No maker’s name or mark.