View allAll Photos Tagged streamlined
The streamlined MÁVAG 242 "coffin" at Budapest-Istvántelek workshop. This was the fastest steam locomotive of Hungarian State Railways.
Ferrari 250 GTO Streamlined
#art #auto #automobile #ferrari #ferrari250gto #streamlined #sculpture #metal #metalart by #AntoineDufilho #sculpteur #villedenice #cotedazur #france #provencealpescotesdazur #patm666photos
The 4-6-2 Pacific wheel arrangement on the gorgeous streamlined LMS Princess Coronation Class steam locomotive number 6229 'Duchess of Hamilton' inside the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum in York (UK).
6229 was built at Crewe Works by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1938
The Common Dolphin is a slender streamlined dolphin with a moderately long beak, tall dorsal fin and large tapering flippers.
The Australian Museum is the oldest museum in Australia, with an international reputation in the fields of natural history and anthropology. It features collections of vertebrate and invertebrate zoology, as well as mineralogy, palaeontology, and anthropology. Apart from exhibitions, the museum is also involved in indigenous studies research and community programs.
It is located in College Street, Sydney and was originally known as the Colonial Museum or Sydney Museum. The museum was renamed in June 1836 by a Sub-Committee meeting, when it was resolved during an argument that it should be renamed the Australian Museum.
The first location of the museum was likely a room in the offices of the Colonial Secretary, although for the next 30 years it moved to several other locations in Sydney, until moving into its current location in 1849.
The current handsome Neoclassical sandstone building, on the corner of College and Park Streets, opposite Hyde Park, was first opened to the public in May 1857. It was designed by the New South Wales Colonial Architect James Barnet. The first chairman of the museum was William Holmes, who was appointed on 16 June 1829.
The Skeleton Gallery is in the original part of the Museum. It is a double-height space overlooked by first- and second-floor mezzanines. Its 100 skeletons - including the horseman and the rocking-chair man and his dog - occupy a traditional space of dark timber and muted tones, lit to reveal its best features.
Showcasing over 10 full scale skeletons, Dinosaurs are brought to life through dramatic lighting, projected scenery and astounding specimens. The impressive life-size models include feathered dinosaurs from China, as well as a diverse range of carnivore and herbivore dinosaur skulls and skeletons - from the well-known T-Rex to the bizarre Cryolophosaurus discovered in Antarctica.
Fossils are our window into the past. The word ‘fossil’ comes from the Latin word fossus, which means ‘dug up’. This refers to the fact that fossils are the remains of past life preserved in rock, soil or amber. Generally, the remains were once the hard parts of an organism, such as bones and shell although, under exceptional circumstances, soft tissues have also fossilised.
BENS, a classic Streamlined Moderne restaurant in Montreal, visited by many celebrities, is being sold and is in grave danger of being demolished. Sam Benatar, president of SIDEV, the developer, has declared, "It isn't worth anything." It is very ironic that there is now an exhibition at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts on Streamlined Design, www.mmfa.qc.ca/en/expositions/exposition_43.html with carefully preserved examples of Streamlined Modern design but a beautiful public example of it is about to be destroyed. Surely, BENS is as important to preserve as the objects in the museum exhibit.
BENS was designed by Charles Davis Goodman (1894-1962), who was one of the architects of a number of well-known Montreal buildings, including the now demolished, and much mourned, 1948 Laurentien Hotel, the 1931 Jewish General Hospital and the 1948 Pascal Hardware. Goodman, a McGill University graduate, was elected a fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in 1955.
See artdecomontreal.com/pages/news.htm for full alert.
If you care, please send an email to these people in any language and forward this alert to anyone else who cares about good and historic design.
Josette Laurin, Josette.Laurin@mcc.gouv.qc.ca
Yves Laliberté, yves.laliberte@mcc.gouv.qc.ca
Caroline Dubuc, cdubuc@ville.montreal.qc.ca
Karim Boulos, karimboulos@ville.montreal.qc.ca
Benoit Labonté, benoitlabonte@ville.montreal.qc.ca
Melanie Faucher, melaniefaucher@ville.montreal.qc.ca
Catherine Sevigny, catherinesevigny@ville.montreal.qc.ca
Gerald Tremblay, geraldtremblay@ville.montreal.qc.ca
Lucienne Robillard, Robillard.L@parl.gc.ca
Josée Verner, Verner.J@parl.gc.ca
SIDEV, info@sidev.com
Jacques Chagnon, jchagnon@assnat.qc.ca
Christine St-Pierre, ministre@mcccf.gouv.qc.ca
Jamaica Business Resource Center, 90-33 160th Street, Jamaica, Queens, New York City, New York, United States
La Casina is a rare surviving example of Streamlined Moderne design in New York City. The metal and stucco facade of this former nightclub and restaurant structure was constructed c. 1933, during the period of greatest popularity for the streamlined style. The building, erected in the heart of Jamaica’s commercial center, is representative of the many entertainment facilities built in Jamaica during the first decades of the twentieth century as this area developed into the commercial and entertainment hub for Queens County and nearby sections of Long Island. Although altered over the years, the La Casina Building has been beautifully restored and is again one of the most distinctive structures in Jamaica’s business district.
Development of Jamaica
Jamaica, one of the oldest settlements within the boundaries of New York City, developed into the leading commercial and entertainment center of Queens County. The Dutch purchased land in Jamaica from the Jameco (also spelled Jemeco) Indians in 1655. The following year, Governor Peter Stuyvesant granted a charter to the town, originally known as Rusdorp.
Following the transfer of power from the Dutch to the English in 1664, Rusdorp was renamed Jamaica, after the original Indian inhabitants of the region. Queens County (incorporating present-day Queens and Nassau Counties) was chartered in 1683. The English established Jamaica as the governmental center of Queens County, with a court, county clerk’s office, and parish church (Grace Church; the present structure, dating from 1861-62, is a designated New York Landmark). Outside the town center, Jamaica was largely an area of farm fields and grazing land for cattle. The rural village was officially incorporated by New York State in 1814.
Jamaica’s central location in Queens County and the extensive transportation network that developed in the town during the nineteenth century, resulted in the transformation of the community into the major commercial center for Queens County and much of eastern Long Island. It was the arrival of the railroads that began this transformation. The roads and rail lines connecting Jamaica with other sections of Queens County, with Brooklyn to the west, eastern Long Island, and ferries to New York City had a tremendous impact. Jamaica’s farmland was soon being subdivided into streets and building lots, and new homes were erected.
By the turn of the century, Jamaica’s importance as a commercial area became evident in the impressive buildings beginning to appear on Jamaica Avenue, most notably the Beaux-Arts Jamaica Savings Bank Building (Hough & Deuell, 1897-98), 161-02 Jamaica Avenue. After Jamaica was incorporated into the borough of Queens and became a part of New York City on January 1, 1898, additional transportation improvements brought increasing numbers of people. As a result, the population of Jamaica quadrupled between 1900 and 1920.
It was during the 1920s, when the major mass transit links were in place, and during a period when private automobile ownership was growing at an extraordinary rate, that Jamaica experienced its major expansion as a commercial and entertainment center. By 1925, Jamaica Avenue between 160th Street and 168th Street had the highest assessed valuation in Queens County.
During the 1920s and early 1930s, many small- scale commercial buildings were erected in Jamaica, as well as several major office and commercial structures, including the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce Building (George W. Conable, 1928-29) on 161st Street; the Title Guarantee Company Building (Dennison & Hirons, 1929), 90-04 161st Street; and the J. Kurtz & Sons Store (Allmendinger & Schlendorf, 1931; a designated New York City Landmark) on Jamaica Avenue. In addition, Jamaica developed into a significant entertainment center. By the mid-1930s, there were at least eight movie theaters on or just off of Jamaica Avenue, and there were over sixty restaurants, bars, and clubs, ranging from small ethnic taverns to elegant restaurants. It was within this bustling commercial and entertainment setting that La Casina opened.
The Nightclub:
A Brief Examination of Its History and Design
During the late 1920s and 1930s, the nightclub became a prominent and romantic symbol of New York’s nightlife. While partially based on the reality of the city’s exclusive clubs and restaurants, the nightclub image was largely a fantasy based on Hollywood’s interpretation of these elegant establishments. Nightclubs and restaurants with live shows began to appear in New York City in the late 1920s as the enforcement of Prohibition ebbed. With the end of Prohibition in 1933, nightclubs proliferated." As nightclubs and restaurants with live shows grew in popularity, their designs became increasingly elegant. Clubs and related restaurants such as the Central Park Casino, the Persian Room, the Rainbow Room, El Morocco, the 21 Club, and the Stork, catered to an exclusive clientele. While most New Yorkers could not afford to patronize these establishments, they were well known through newspaper gossip columns, magazines, and other popular media outlets.
Movies such as Broadway (1929), Puttin’ on the Ritz (1930), Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935), Broadway Melody of 1936 (1935), and Swing Time (1936) created a romantic image of nightclubs with Modeme and Art Deco decor incorporating streamlined walls and ceilings, glistening mirrored floors, and elegantly appointed revelers. Perhaps in homage to popular Latin dances, many of these clubs, both real and cinematic, were given Spanish- sounding names.
Although modest in scale, La Casina was designed to fit the image of the up-to-date night spot. The club and restaurant was provided with a Latin name and its streamlined design echoes, in miniature, the elegant clubs enjoyed vicariously by patrons as they viewed movies at their local movie palaces.
La Casina: The Site and the Design of the Building
La Casina is located on 160th Street between Jamaica Avenue and 90th Avenue. Located only a few blocks from the center of Jamaica, 160th Street was initially developed with modest frame buildings, most erected as residences but later converted for commercial use. In 1907, the Queens Borough Real Estate Exchange erected a neo-Classical style brick and limestone office building designed by Tuthill & Higgins at 90-33 160th Street.
The building was purchased in 1918 by Arnold Behrer, Jr., and Clarence Behrer. On November 1, 1932, the Behrers leased the site to Bernard Levy and La Casino, Inc., for a period of four years (until 1936). According to the lease agreement, the building was "to be used and occupied only as a restaurant, cabaret, beer garden, casino and dance hall." The rent rose from $1,800 a year the first year to $3,000 during the fourth year. All alterations made to the building by the lessee had to be approved by the owner.
The La Casino Supper Club opened in 1933. It first appeared in the Queens telephone directory for winter 1933-34. Apparently, the club was only open for a short time since it did not appear in the telephone directory for winter 1934-35. The club reopened by May 1936. Telephone directory listings continued to call the establishment the La Casino Restaurant. However, the weekly La Casina Journal, published by the establishment, spelled the name with an "a" and also referred to the La Casina Restaurant and Supper Club in its text. The work undertaken to create the present streamlined design was an alteration of the original building, but no surviving alteration application has been located that specifically notes the construction of a new front. Several permits for small alterations were issued in 1933, and one of these may have included the new facade.
La Casina was designed in the Streamlined Modeme style which became popular in America in the 1930s.' Although it initially appeared on residential buildings, the Streamlined Moderne style was soon adapted for commercial buildings since the dramatic massing and dynamic stripped forms drew attention and, therefore, brought people to the buildings. The style was popular for relatively small-scale public buildings, especially those that were erected for businesses that relied on a large paying clientele.
These businesses included hotels, such as those in Miami Beach; theaters, such as the Pan Pacific Auditorium in Hollywood; movie theaters, notably those designed by S. Charles Lee; bus depots, such as the Greyhound Bus Terminal in Washington, D.C.; and roadside structures such as auto showrooms, motels, and diners. Historian Martin Greif characterized the Streamlined Moderne (also sometimes referred to as Depression Modem) as "an art stripped bare of all ornamentation. . . . Ideally, the Depression Modern style was spare . .
. without a single detail that could be called extraneous, without any embellishment, without a line that did not seem inevitable."
With its smooth planes of stucco, dynamic ziggurat massing, sweeping bands of metal, and its lack of applied ornamentation, the La Casina building fits Greifs description of the ideal streamlined structure. The streamlined mode was an appropriate choice for La Casina, not only providing an up-to-date image for the establishment, but also creating a noticeable form for the small midblock structure, one that would attract attention from busy Jamaica Avenue. This was heightened by the use of a bright projecting vertical neon sign announcing the nightclub’s presence.
La Casina: The Restaurant and Nightclub
La Casina offered dining, dancing, and entertainment. According to the La Casina Journal, La Casina offered three shows a night performed by the La Casina Adorables and the La Casina Swing Melo-Dears. The club also featured special guests such as Maureen Rio, the Broadway star of Earl Carroll’s Sketch Book? There was no cover charge and the club offered free parking.
The Journal noted such special events as "Celebrity Night"; "Democratic Night" and "Republican Night" (at the latter two evenings guests were to meet primary candidates); and "Bowery Night," where guests were to dress in old clothes, men were to arrive unshaven, and all were to be entertained by Diamond L’il, Cuspidor Carrie, Fishface Fanny, Gashouse Gertie, Willie the Gonof, Little Annie Rooney, Champagne Lil, and Limehouse Lou.
Later History
La Casina (or a facility with a similar name) occupied the building until about 1938; the last entry in the telephone directory is for winter 1937-38. In 1940, Arnold Behrer, Jr., lost the property in a legal proceeding to the mortgagor, the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. A tax photograph taken by New York City in 1940 shows "For Rent" signs in the picture windows of the club.
In 1942, the building was sold to the Church of God of Greater New York, Inc., although it does not appear to have ever been used as a church (the Church of God was headquartered on 224th Street). The use, if any, of the building in the early 1940s is not known.
In 1946, the former nightclub was sold to Polly Foundations, Inc., which converted the building into a factory that manufactured Ladyform bras. In 1952, the building was purchased by the Ellen Howard Corporation which manufactured Roxanne swim suits in the building until c.1987.
At some point, probably in the 1960s or 1970s, the galvanized-iron cladding of the ziggurat was covered in aluminum siding. The building was vacated in the late 1980s and deteriorated. In 1989, the Greater Jamaica Development Corporation acquired the former home of La Casina. A restoration was undertaken in 1994-95 under the guidance of the architectural firm of Li-Saltzman.
The restoration entailed the removal of the aluminum siding, the replacement of the deteriorated galvanized iron with aluminum that matched the form of the original, the restoration of the stucco at the lower level to its original colors, the removal of historically and stylistically inappropriate glass block windows and their replacement with historically accurate plate-glass windows, and the restoration of the tile flanking the entrance and of the original doors and glass entrance surround. The original vertical sign was conserved and encased within a new sign. The building now houses the Jamaica Business Resource Center.
Description
La Casina is a one-story symmetrical structure with a two-tiered streamlined facade in the form of a stepped pyramid or ziggurat. The base of the pyramid is set parallel to the sidewalk. This section of the building is faced with stucco.
The stuccoed portion of the facade is divided into a lower section that is painted gray and an upper section painted coral (paint studies determined the historical accuracy of these colors). The base is punctuated by a central entrance that is set back from the sidewalk within a five-stepped enframement clad in glazed black tiles at the lower section; the upper section is coral-colored stucco.
The entrance contains its original wood and glass double doors with very large vertically-placed bronze handles supported by silver-metal upper and lower stepped brackets. The doors are set within a frame of opaque black glass. The entrance bay is flanked by rectangular windows.
During the restoration, glass blocks that were crudely installed, probably when the building became a factory in the 1940s, were removed and replaced with historically accurate undivided plate glass. In addition, a shallow ramp for handicapped access has been added in front of the building.
Directly above the entrance is a curving streamlined frontispiece. It is divided into six wide horizontal bands with seven raised narrower bands covering the joints. To either side of this frontispiece is a six-layer stepped ziggurat. The frontispiece and flanking ziggurats were originally clad in smooth galvanized sheet metal attached to a wooden frame. The metal may originally have been painted gray. During the restoration, the deteriorated galvanized metal was replaced with shiny bands of aluminum.
Attached to the Building is the original vertical neon sign. This sign, which retains the words "La Casina" (an "o" for "casino" overlaps the "a"), "Ladyform Bras," "Swim Suits," and "Roxanne Swim Suits,” has been encased in a new aluminum sleeve with the "JBRC" initials of the Jamaica Business Resource Center in neon.
- From the 1996 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report
LMS Princess Coronation class pacific Duchess of Hamilton, recently re-streamlined at Tyseley, as the centrepiece of an exhibition at the National Railway Museum on the subject of thirties streamline design. The locomotive looks as if it is travelling at speed even when standing in a museum. Beautiful. The car is a Chrysler Airflow of the same era as the locomotive.
These are a few Streamlined and Semi-streamlined steam locomotives in HO scale. All are brass, except the two British LNER locomotives. Southern Pacific GS-4 4-8-4 by United for PFM in 1958
1940 Ford 11A Super Deluxe Convertible Coupe
Chassis no. 18 5646174
The 1940 Ford has been a hot rodder's favorite almost since it appeared.
The essence of its appeal lay under the skin where the simple yet powerful and reliable running gear and chassis had been substantially improved by the adoption of hydraulic brakes, a long-overdue concession to advancing technology that finally matched the Ford's braking capabilities to the performance of the gutsy flathead V-8.
Enhancing the 1940 Ford's appeal was its design, now fully modern and handsomely streamlined with pontoon fenders, prow hood, inset headlights and a subtle grille that integrated with the front fender catwalks for broader appearance and more cooling area. The greenhouse's raked vee windshield, body colored frame and a sleek body beltline bright molding helped integrate the design and made the convertible coupe, particularly, one of the most attractive, simple, refined designs of the era.
The combination of design and performance gave the '40 Ford a particular presence, an attitude and style which set it apart from its contemporaries. Its strut and style only added to its appeal to street rodders, who made its style their own with the addition of unique performance and appearance features.
This gorgeous 1940 Ford Convertible Coupe is a particularly evocative and effective expression of the theme.
Its flathead V-8 has been given the treatment, with high compression aluminum cylinder heads, a dual carburetor intake manifold, headers and dual exhausts with a set of classic glass pack mufflers that announce its presence with a sound only a rodded flathead V-8 makes. The fuel system is pressure-regulated and monitored by an underhood gauge at the fuel distribution block while the engine's lubrication system has been upgraded with a classic beehive filter. The suspension, riding on a set of whitewall tires on stock steel wheels with trim rings and hubcaps, has been upgraded with tube shocks for better handling.
The body's appearance and proportion has been left largely stock with the exception of skirts over the rear wheels. Closer examination, however, shows that there are a number of changes to reflect its owner's individuality. The bumpers are aftermarket items favored by rodders for their clean, simple lines. A pair of dummy spotlights fit into the corners of the windshield. The rear deck has been de-chromed, but otherwise the body's original trim, fittings and details are unchanged.
They are, however, outlined by a classic professional pinstriping job that highlights the body's lines and bright trim and embellishes its features with intricate, subtle detailing. The workmanship is superb and the artist's pride in his work is evidenced by his signature, tightly integrated with the rear deck striping.
The interior is upholstered in blue and white Naugahyde which complements the metallic blue bodywork. The white seat upholstery is set off by blue piping and seating inserts and intriguingly matched by handles, dashboard and steering wheel painted body color. A factory radio is installed, as are a set of white-on-black engine gauges under the dashboard and a 270° Mooneyes tach on the dashboard.
Carefully preserved and maintained, it runs and drives beautifully and needs absolutely nothing to be used, enjoyed, toured, cruised and displayed with style.
Nostalgic Von Dutch style pinstriping and finish!
Tasteful and period correct performance upgrades!
A classic hot rodder’s dream!
For only: $59,500.00!!
Contact Jose Romero: jose@driversource.com
Check out our website for more info:
We buy all classic European and American sport cars!! Finder’s fees paid!!
These are a few Streamlined and Semi-streamlined steam locomotives in HO scale. All are brass, except the two British LNER locomotives. Southern Pacific GS-4 4-8-4 by United for PFM in 1958
The locomotive model was inspired by the South Australian Railways 520 class 4-8-4 and the hover mono-rail engine from the animated Legend of Korra TV Show, as described to me by a friend. This loco features a detailed cab and a streamlined look.
Shot through a moving bus window caught me almost unawares:>) This building used to be in Ovingdean but now Ovingdean is part of Brighton - anyway, it was a complete happy surprise to me! "Blind Veterans UK opened its flagship training, convalescent, care and holiday centre in Ovingdean, Brighton in 1938. The Brighton centre was one of the very first buildings in Britain purpose-built for those with a disability and every aspect of its construction was specially designed for blind and partially sighted visitors and residents. Shortly after its opening, the Architect and Building News praised the centre’s "magnificent views over the Downs and out to sea", as well as the thought that had gone into making the building ideal for the blind. The centre's residents included World War I veteran Henry Allingham, born 1896, who was briefly the oldest man in the world until his death in 2009." Wikipedia
The gorgeous streamlined London Midland and Scottish (LMS) 'Princess Coronation Class' steam locomotive number 6229 'Duchess of Hamilton' inside the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum in York (UK).
6229 designed by Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LMS William Stanier and built at Crewe Works in 1938.
6229 was withdrawn from service as 46229 in February 1964.
These are a few Streamlined and Semi-streamlined steam locomotives in HO scale. All are brass, except the two British LNER locomotives. New York Central RR - Class
J-3a 4-6-4 by Kumata for LM Blum Models.
This night photo of the American Freedom Train with Southern Pacific steam locomotive 4449, a GS-4 class Northern in charge, was taken around 3:00 AM near Clearwater, Florida, December 1976. The train is operating on the Seaboard Coast Line mainline (former ACL mainline) to Clearwater where it will change over to the former SAL mainline and continue on to Tampa via Safety Harbor. I was lucky to get this photo due to the speed of the train along with obtaining enough light from my two flash units. The steam and smoke really shows up quite well. If you notice in the cab you can see Doyle McCormack at the throttle along with another crew member behind him. The train is at a grade crossing and just starting to cross the street. The locomotive was a modern, semi-streamlined, fast and powerful 4-8-4 oil burning Northern GS-4 class steam engine built by Lima Locomotives Works during 1941. The engine still had an operable booster engine mounted on its trailing truck and it was used when leaving Saint Petersburg. The American Freedom Train carried items of American History for display at various cities and locations for the Bicentennial Celebration. The locomotive almost looks 3D where it is about to jump right out of the photo.
These are a few Streamlined and Semi-streamlined steam locomotives in HO scale. All are brass, except the two British LNER locomotives. Norfolk and Western RR (NW) Class J 4-8-4 by Olympia for Gem Models.
1935 - 1938
Volvo adopted the streamlined trend of the 1930s and in 1935 introduced the PV36, popularly known as the "Carioca".
The car featured independent front-wheel suspension with wishbones and coil springs and a very sturdy all-steel body with rear wheel spats. The body not only looked modern, it was also very safe, as some serious accidents proved. Silent, smooth, expensive and slightly controversial, only 500 Carioca saloons were built and sold. One bare chassis was delivered on which Nordbergs built a convertible body. Top speed of the PV36 was 120 kph.
3.670 cc
6 in-line
80 bhp @ 3.300 rpm
500 ex.
Techno Classica 2019
Essen
Deutschland - Germany
April 2019
This agreeable streamlined building in Penarth, now occupied by a Bangladeshi restaurant, was originally a post office. Above the upper central window is the royal cipher and the date, 1936. It is the cipher of George V, who died that year.
The post office has now moved elsewhere, but the Royal Mail still use the far end of the building, up the flight of steps at the right. Both the building and the smartly painted pillar box are listed.
One of the highlights of the Newbury Classic Vehicle Show was this Hillman Aero Minx Streamlined Saloon. Newbury Racecourse, Berkshire, UK. 2019/08/11
Streamlined Art Deco style saloon
Chassis n° 248901
2.663 cc
6 in-line
624 ex. (SS1 Airline Saloon)
4.254 ex. (SS1)
Jaguar Heritage Trust Collection
British Motor Museum
Gaydon
Warvick
England - United kingdom
November 2018
LNER A4 Class 4-6-2, 60009 Union of South Africa, The LNER Streamlined A4 class was built between 1935 and 1938 by the designer H.N.Gresley at the LNER's Doncaster works. 60024 Mallard still holds the world record for a steam Locomotive at 126mph
Bugatti 1934 streamlined railcar at the Citi du Train (National Railway Museum) in Mulhouse, France. Famed for their speed records (one reached 196 km/h in 1937) a total of 88 were built in a variety of configurations, this being one of the luxury "Presidential" type. The car has a total of 16 wheels (see photo later in this group). This is the only Bugatti railcar preserved, having been converted to an inspection vehicle after retirement in 1958, and used in its new role until 1970.
More on the history of the Bugatti railcars can be found here: retours.eu/en/23-autorail-bugatti/#
The Tatra 603 was the last, and best iteration of a long line of streamlined cars by Tatra, including the 77 - the first series-made aerodynamic car in the World, the V570 prototype that was stolen by the Nazis and morphed into the VW Beetle, the T87 and T97, the T600 "Tatraplan" and finally the 603.
Of all these truly great cars, the 603 was the most efficient, quickest and handsomest, one of the great and most innovative cars anywhere.
This photo was taken using a vintage Praktica MTL5B camera from East Germany.
The streamlined profile of a Chicago, Burlington & Quincy car shows that it was built by Budd. Shown is 10-6 sleeper Silver Ridge, built for the Q in 1956. (Scanned from a slide)
A bus full of young women on a "Kraft durch Freude" outing. These outings were generally compulsory and usually not much fun.
The "Streamlined" bus was operated by the Deutsche Reichsbahn who were reponsible for Autobahn bus services in the Third Reich.
1935 - 1938
Volvo adopted the streamlined trend of the 1930s and in 1935 introduced the PV36, popularly known as the "Carioca".
The car featured independent front-wheel suspension with wishbones and coil springs and a very sturdy all-steel body with rear wheel spats. The body not only looked modern, it was also very safe, as some serious accidents proved. Silent, smooth, expensive and slightly controversial, only 500 Carioca saloons were built and sold. One bare chassis was delivered on which Nordbergs built a convertible body. Top speed of the PV36 was 120 kph.
3.670 cc
6 in-line
80 bhp @ 3.300 rpm
500 ex.
Techno Classica 2019
Essen
Deutschland - Germany
April 2019
Norfolk and Western 611, also known as the "Spirit of Roanoke" and the "Queen of Steam", is a Norfolk and Western class J 4-8-4 "Northern" streamlined steam locomotive built in May 1950 by the N&W's East End Shops in Roanoke, Virginia. Wikipedia
Build date: May 29, 1950
Designer: H.W. Reynolds and Franklin C. Noel
Rebuild date: 1981–1982; 2014–2015
Serial number: 388
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_and_Western_611
Also see: flic.kr/p/2o8ahxn
DSC_0510a
Union Pacific Streamlined, Standard Gauge, Lightweight Coach built by Pullman in 1950. Used on UP's Fleet of "City" Trains.
Iowa Pacific (SLRG) former Nickel Plate Road (NKP) Pullman-built streamlined heavyweight diner-club lounge #125. Built in February 1930 by Pullman in Lot #6308 as a 36 seat coach-18 seat diner, 1 of 2 such cars (#125 and #126) built in that Lot. In 1940, both cars were rebuilt to a diner-club lounge configuration, with the coach section replaced by a 20 seat lounge (1 seat was at a writing desk), and the dining section was slightly moved from off-center (towards the kitchen) to almost dead-center; this allowed for the addition of 4 storage lockers, a crew locker, a conductor's desk and locker, and a refrigerator. Also, the vestibule at the former coach end was closed off, replaced by another locker and small restroom. In 1946-47, both cars were streamlined (#126 in '46, #125 in '47), and the number of dining seats was increased to 24, with the 3 2-seat tables on the kitchen passage side (seen in this photo) replaced by 3 4-seat tables. Following the 1964 NKP-Norfolk & Western Railway (N&W)-Wabash Railroad (WAB) merger, these 2 cars were planned to be renumbered as N&W #1025 and #1026, which may or may not have been applied. The #125 was retired and sold in December 1965 to John W. "Jack" Ferris' Private Railroad Cars, Incorporated, which named it WABASH VALLEY. The #126 is listed as retired in January 1966, but not sold until 1973. It is possible, however unconfirmed at this time, that along with Pullman sleepers GLEN FEE and WOODLAND, that the Oregon, Pacific & Eastern RR (OPE) in Roseburg, OR, acquired the WABASH VALLEY from Ferris. This would appear to be the case, as the #125, along with the 2 Pullmans, was later part of the collection of the Galveston RR Museum. Seen in Iowa Pacific's ex-Denver & Rio Grande Western (D&RGW) yard in Alamosa, CO.
Streamlined Duchess 6236 City of Bradford when quite new by the looks of it and viewed from an elevated position at Camden shed...fitted wqith double chimney from new she lost the streamlined casing in Dec 1947.......photo 1939
This is the leading end of the Hudson 4-6-4 at the B&O Railroad Museum. This engine would have been quite impressive to see roaring down the tracks at speed. Definitely a favorite of mine!
The front view of the streamlined LMS Princess Coronation Class steam locomotive number 6229 'Duchess of Hamilton' inside the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum in York (UK).
6229 was built at Crewe Works by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1938
`The large streamlined modern house with surgery rooms on the ground floor was built in 1938 for Dr Fenton-Bowen, and designed by architects Rhys Hopkins and Shannon. It was built by J A E Humphries, the well known builder who helped create the notable Golf Links Estate in Camberwell, and father of the famous Barry Humphries. Family legend has it that he designed the house, but it seems more likely that he simply admired it..
The house is constructed of special flat dark Manganese bricks, giving it a dark brooding quality, and emphasizing the horizontal lines of the design. There is a prominent semi-circular bay on the main corner, a slim projecting concrete projection over the ground floor windows, curved corners and windows, and a flat roof combining to make a most distinctive modernist design.' (VHD, NTA) .
.
From Survey of 20th Century architecture in Victoria for the Royal Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA, Vic) by architectural historian, Graeme Butler and helpers, creating data sheets for each surveyed place, at least 1 coloured transparency and B&W negative each (about 2230 negatives). Drawn from heritage studies and publications such as Robin Boyd's 1947 `Victorian Modern'.
These are a few Streamlined and Semi-streamlined steam locomotives in HO scale. All are brass, except the two British LNER locomotives.
I worked this one the most at Photoshop 6.0 to get rid of all the other distractions from La Casina (buildings left and right and a car out front) For an explanation about this building: www.flickr.com/photos/catchesthelight/7235107404
Sir Nigel Gresley's A4 Pacific locomotives built for the LNER - represented here by 4468 'Mallard' which is the world speed record holder for steam traction (126 mph) - make an interesting comparison with an LMS streamlined Coronation Pacific (6229 'Duchess of Hamilton') which was designed by William Stanier at around the same time.