View allAll Photos Tagged st_peter

North aisle altar.

 

There is evidence of a church building dating from 840 AD, the earliest remains being St Peter holding the keys to Heaven over the south door.

The current building dates from the 12th century.

Church records began in 1538 and are the earliest in the county.

The churchyard was closed in 1915.

Both the south and north doors are Norman, as is the font, thought to be part of the original church.

Along the west wall was once a musicians' gallery on which the organ was installed. It was removed and, in its place, is the so-called 'musicians' window' dedicated to St Cecilia, the patron saint of music.

The north aisle was added in the 13th century. Here lies the 'Avenbury Knight', a 13th century effigy from the now ruined St Mary's Church, Avenbury (one of the oldest churches in England, closed in 1931). Also in the north aisle can be found the 'Bromyard Bushel'. Made in 1670 from cast iron, this was the standard measure for grain.

Near the knight and bushel is a copy of Professor Edward Hull's description of the world's history - measuring 7 metres long! It depicts history from Adam and Eve to Queen Victoria and was published in the 1890s.

The oldest window in the church dates from around 1300. The glass itself is late 19th century and is dedicated to Rev. William Cooke.

The original chancel was extended in the 14th century. To the left is the pulpit, made in 1883 from wood of a much earlier design.

The organ dates from 1839. It was moved from its original position to the chancel in 1875. Modifications were made in 1978 and it was restored in 2013.

The south aisle chapel - not the Lady Chapel! - contains Bromyard's official war memorial. The chapel was dedicated in 1919, just months after the end of World War I.

There are a number of recesses around the walls of the church which once contained the tombs of wealthy or important people, dating to the 14th century.

    

St Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, Italy

St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, Italy.

St. Peter’s women’s team playing Seaford on 4 July 2010

St.-Peter-Ording, Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon EF 17-40mm/4.0 L USM, Schwarzweiß-Konvertierung mit Lightroom-Vorgabe 'Orange-Filter'

25-26 сентября 2021, открытый урок по гражданской войне в России. Храм прп. Сергия Радонежского поселка Зеленоградский / 25-26 September 2021, an open lesson on the civil war in Russia. The Church of St. Peter. St. Sergius of the Radonezh settlement of Zelenogradsky

St Peter and St Pauls in Mare Green between North Curry and Stoke Gregory. Taken with a D300 10-20 Sigma lens 7 shot HDR tonemapped and Processed in NX2

St. Peter Catholic Church - Kirkwood, MO

St Peter's church was built in the 19th century. It is set in a wonderful setting overlooking the sea. The building is of red brick and granite in the early English style. There are stained-glass windows on the east and west, the latter depicting St Peter with the crossed keys and St Keverne holding his staff. There was a partial rebuild and a major development of this church in 2009.

The front of St. Peter's looks deceptably small until you look at the people at the base of the building.

St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Rome, Italy seen from one of the bridges that cross the River Tiber

Chapel, formerly church of St Peter-Le-bailey - Thomas Grubb d1808 and William Grubb d1846

St Peter, Nottingham.

Window commemorating Alderman Sir William Crane CBE JP (1874-1959).

By John Samuel Bucknall to Ninian Comper's design, 1963.

 

REMEMBER WITH THANKSGIVING THE LIFE AND WORK OF WILLIAM CRANE, KT, CBE, 1874-1959. ALDERMAN AND HONORARY FREEMAN OF THE CITY, PRO-CHANCELLOR OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM.

 

Sir John Ninian Comper (1864-1960) was a celebrated church architect and furnisher of the Gothic Revival. He was born in Aberdeen in 1864, the son of John Comper, who was an adherent of the Oxford Movement and ordained into the Scottish Episcopal Church. This Anglo-Catholic influence was important, and is clear in Comper's adherence to Gothic. He worked in the offices of Charles Eamer Kempe and Bodley & Garner before establishing his own practice in the late 1880s, initially with William Bucknall (1851-1944). Almost all of his work was ecclesiastical. His trademark strawberry monogram can be found on many of his stained glass windows.

 

St. Peter's Basilica

(Basilica di San Pietro)

St Peter's is a fine old church, situated in the attractive village of Welford on Avon and dating back to Norman times. This antiquity is most apparent in the interior, which is quite unusually proportioned, with very low and wide late Norman arches, two on each side spanning the entire length of the nave from a single column. The aisles are extremely narrow, mere passages flanking the main vessel, whilst the chancel beyond is of equal length.

 

There are small fragments of medieval glass in the chancel, but the most impressive feature here is the east window by Geoffrey Webb, a beautiful Comper-esque composition dating from 1924.

 

The church is kept open and welcoming to visitors. For more detail see its entry on the Warwickshire Churches website below :-

warwickshirechurches.weebly.com/welford-on-avon---st-pete...

St Peter's Church - crib and stained glass window to St Helen

St Peter's Footpath, walking northwest towards the junction at Shallow's Cottage.

St Peter's is a rebuilt Tudor church that was dedicated in 1517, the year of Luther's Articles. It must rank among England's last medieval churches before the Reformation. Its patron was Sir Edmund Tame, whose father built St Mary's, Fairford.

The exterior is conventional Perpendicular, with heavy battlements and tower pinnacles, and the churchyard contains a display of chest tombs.

Inside, the 12th century font of the Herefordshire School has twelve apostles - or rather eleven with one left blank for Judas. Another, later, font stands by the pulpit.

Rendcomb comprises a nave with south aisle, divided by an arcade with concave-sided octagonal piers, similar to Northleach and Chipping Campden. Buried in the north wall are the remains of an Early Gothic arcade to a lost north aisle, three piers revealed in the plasterwork.

There is no division between nave and chancel, but the chancel roof is distinct, of Victorian sycamore. The rood screen was also a Victorian concoction, using parts of an old screen and with a frieze of cast iron. This structure straddles the chancel and south chapel. The latter has an iron altar rail with the chained swan emblem of the Guise family, who succeeded the Tames as lords of the manor.

Of interest are the corbels, those in the south aisle carved with angels playing instruments and holding heraldic shields.

The east window glass is unremarkable but some 16th century glass survives in the north windows. It has early Renaissance forms which imply a different designer from Fairford, and a later date of c.1520.

 

South chapel: wrought iron gate incorporating the Guise symbol of the chained swan

 

St Peter, Theberton, Suffolk

St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche), Vienna. Petersplatz 6, 1010 Wien, Austria‎

 

The oldest church building (of which nothing remains today) dates back to the Early Middle Ages, and there is speculation that it could be the oldest church in Vienna (See Ruprechtskirche). That Roman church was built on the site of a Roman encampment. A church of Saint Peter in Vienna is first mentioned in 1137. The construction of the new Baroque church was begun around 1701 under Gabriele Montani, who was replaced by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt in 1703. Around the end of the 12th century, the church became part of the Schottenstift.

St Peter's at Grandborough dates mostly to the 14th century, aside from the handsome west tower crowned by a spire. The churchyard is rather attractive, the approach being through an avenue of trees, whilst a sequoia stands nearby seemingly as tall as the steeple!

 

The interior is spacious with aisles flanking the nave and less restored than many, the timber roof of the chancel clearly of some antiquity. All the windows are plain-glazed throughout (the east window could do with some colour perhaps, hint hint).

 

The church is open Fri-Sun from 9am to 6pm in summer months and 9-4pm in winter,

www.stpetersgrandborough.co.uk/

Vatican City, Rome, Italy

St Peter Brooke was started in the 12th century and the church consists of a squat west tower, south porch, nave, chancel, north aisle and north chapel. The church was originally a chapelry of Oakham but by the 13th century the patronage was with Brooke Priory.

The roof is eaved with Colleyweston slates. The nave may date to the Perpendicular period but has a Norman doorway with fine double zigzags, the arch originally round is now pointed. The north arcade dates to the mid 12th century, with square tops and heavy capitals. The chancel arch and arch from the chancel to the north aisle is Elizabethan. The tower dates to the 13th century and is of three receding stages with lancet windows in the lower and middle stages and twin lancet lights for the top of the bell-tower.

St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche), Vienna. Petersplatz 6, 1010 Wien, Austria‎

 

The oldest church building (of which nothing remains today) dates back to the Early Middle Ages, and there is speculation that it could be the oldest church in Vienna (See Ruprechtskirche). That Roman church was built on the site of a Roman encampment. A church of Saint Peter in Vienna is first mentioned in 1137. The construction of the new Baroque church was begun around 1701 under Gabriele Montani, who was replaced by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt in 1703. Around the end of the 12th century, the church became part of the Schottenstift.

St Peter's Church, Ayot St Peter, Hertfordshire, 19 March 2011.

 

Grade II Listed.

The Cathedral of Saint Peter, Trier (German: Trierer Dom), the seat of the Roman Catholic Archbishop Bishop of Trier, in the Rhineland-Palatinate, is the oldest cathedral in Germany. The edifice is notable for its extremely long life span under multiple different eras each constributing some elements to its design, including the center of the main chapel being made of Roman brick laid under the direction of Saint Helen, resulting in a cathedral added on to gradually rather than rebuilt in different eras.

St. Peter's Basilica (Latin: Basilica Sancti Petri; Italian: Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano) is a Late Renaissance church located within Vatican City. Designed principally by Donato Bramante, Michelangelo, Carlo Maderno and Gian Lorenzo Bernini, St. Peter's is the most renowned work of Renaissance architecture and remains one of the largest churches in the world. St. Peter's is regarded as one of the holiest Catholic sites.

 

By Catholic tradition, the basilica is the burial site of its namesake Saint Peter, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus and, also according to tradition, the first Pope and Bishop of Rome. Tradition and strong historical evidence hold that Saint Peter's tomb is directly below the altar of the basilica. For this reason, many Popes have been interred at St. Peter's since the Early Christian period. There has been a church on this site since the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great. Construction of the present basilica, replacing the Old St. Peter's Basilica of the 4th century AD, began on 18 April 1506 and was completed on 18 November 1626

St Peter, Edensor, Derbyshire.

Churchyard.

 

Grave of Kathleen (1920-1948), widow of Major the Marquess of Hartington. He was killed in action.

She was the daughter of the Hon Joseph Kennedy, sometime ambassador of the United States to Great Britain and sister of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

 

At the foot of Kathleen's gravestone is this...

In memory of John F Kennedy President of the United States of America who visited this grave 29 June 1963.

 

www.creators.com/lifestylefeatures/travel/travel-and-adve...

St Peter, Harrogate. .

Window by Burlison & Grylls. .

Memorial window, showing the real faces of the three sons of Rev & Mrs Foote, killed in the First World War. Detail: Angel Gabriel.

St Peter's Church, Heysham, is located in the village of Heysham, Lancashire, England. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building, It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Lancaster, the archdeaconry of Lancaster and the diocese of Blackburn.

 

It is believed that a church was founded on this site in the 7th or 8th century. In 1080 it was recorded that the location was the site of an old Saxon church. Some of the fabric of that church remains in the present church. The chancel was built around 1340–50 and the south aisle was added in the 15th century. The north aisle was added in 1864 and other extensions and restorations were carried out by the Lancaster architect E. G. Paley. At that time an Anglo-Saxon doorway was moved and rebuilt in the churchyard, and two galleries which had served as private pews with their own entrances were taken down.

 

The church is built in sandstone rubble with stone slate roofs. Its plan consists of a three-bay nave with north and south aisles under a continuous roof, a lower two-bay chancel with north and south aisles under pitched roofs, the south aisle containing a chapel, a south porch and a bellcote containing two bells on the west gable. The west front has a pair of buttresses between which is a blocked Anglo-Saxon round-headed doorway. Above this is a two-light 19th century window. The east window of three lights dates from around 1300 as does the two-light window in the south wall of the chancel. Built into the chancel walls are coffin lids and the gravestone of a 17th–century vicar. The octagonal sandstone font probably dates from the 16th century. The chancel arch has early Norman capitals with rope mouldings. In the south chancel aisle is a Viking hogback stone and on the west wall is a medieval sepulchral slab with a floriated cross and sword.,

 

In the churchyard is the rebuilt Anglo-Saxon sandstone archway moved from the church in the 19th century. It is listed Grade II, as is the walling to the west of the archway. Also listed Grade II is a sandstone sundial shaft dated 1696, and a medieval sandstone coffin. Also in the churchyard is the lower part of the decorated shaft of an Anglo-Saxon cross on a modern sandstone base. It is a scheduled monument. In addition the churchyard contains the war graves of eight Commonwealth service personnel of World War I, and three of World War II.

Strand von oben mit Blick auf die Nordsee St. Peter-Ording

Nearly 400 people took the Plunge on Feb. 12, 2011 as part of law enforcement's St. Peter Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics Minnesota. Photo by Michelle Lindstedt.

St. Peter's Church and its monastic order were founded in the 7th century. The cemetery includes 12th century catacombs and catacombs that probably date back to the 5th century. The "modern" cemetery includes the graves of Mozart's sister and Franz Joseph Haydn's composer brother, Michael Haydn. The cemetery is one of the Salzburg scenes featured in the move of The Sound of Music.

23 May, 2017

Te Deum window.

 

Te Deum window in the Keble Chapel of St Peter's church, Bournemouth, Dorset. The window was a gift from the congregation, in memory of John Keble, one of the founders and the leading light of the Oxford Movement. Keble died in Bournemouth in 1866, having moved there on account of his wife's deteriorating health. He was a regular member of the congregation up until his death. Keble is himself portrayed in the bottom right hand light of the window.

  

STrS - 1867 - 4 lights.

Clayton & Bell.

Te Deum.

 

www.stainedglassrecords.org/Ch.asp?ChId=3123

Detail of the easternmost south aisle window depicting Christ's calling of St Peter by Albert Lemmon, 1943.

 

St Peter's church at Greets Green, West Bromwich, a little known Black Country gem built in 1858, most notable for some stunning stained glass inside, foremost of which are the three gorgeous late Arts & Crafts windows by Bromsgrove Guild artist Albert Lemmon.

 

The church itself is a fairly restrained design for the Victorian period and at first glance could easily be mistaken for a much older building. It is on a fairly grand scale though and within seems quite spacious, its whitewashed walls helping to balance the loss of light owing to the rich glass in several of the windows.

 

The glass is the main event here visually, with three of Lemmon's best windows to be found in pride of place behind the main altar and one at the end of each side aisle. The other windows are worthy of note too, ranging from the late 19th century to the 1970s.

 

Greets Green church is normally kept locked outside of services (like most in the endless suburbia of the West Midlands county) and thus generally only known to the regular Sunday congregation, so I am hugely grateful to Ben Sinclair who arranged for the churchwarden to open up so that I could see and share its stunning glass, little known masterpieces that are well worth seeing.

stpetersgreetsgreen.co.uk/

St Peter upon Cornhill in the City of London.

Stained Glass detail by Frederick Charles Eden

Frederick Charles Eden (1864-1944) was born in Brighton and was a pupil and later assistant of Bodley and Garner. He then started his own practice, initially as an architect, but concentrated increasingly on the design of church fittings and stained glass. Dissatisfaction over the standards of manufacture of the latter led to his setting up his own studio in Red Lion Square, London in 1910. This combination followed the principles of the Art Workers Guild, to which he belonged.

Taken from the Sussex Parish Churches website- run by John Allen- www.sussexparishchurches.org/spc_V31

Belmont Village in the early 19th century was precisely the kind of community that Parliament and the Church of England targeted for the building of new churches. St. Peter's came about as a result of the church planting commitment of the Vicar of Bolton, Canon James Slade, and Bishop Prince of the newly created Diocese of Manchester, plus the generosity of two local squires, Thomas and Charles Wright, and the engineer John Hick who between them provided the land and necessary funding for the church to be built and maintained.

Building began in July 1848 and was completed in 1849 at a cost of £3,600. The architect was John E. Gregan, a Scottish designer and builder well-known for a wide range of buildings including The Mechanics' Institute in Manchester.

St Peter Cathedral, Regensburg

St Peter, Harrogate. .

Window by Burlison & Grylls. .

Memorial window, showing the real faces of the three sons of Rev & Mrs Foote, killed in the First World War. Detail: St Michael and the dragon.

St. Peter's Episcopal Church (1909–22)

137-28 244th St. (originally Clifton Ave.)

Rosedale Terrace

Rosedale, Queens

 

The congregation was founded in 1907 as a mission church. It became an independent parish in 1945.

 

© Matthew X. Kiernan

NYBAI15-6254

1 2 ••• 46 47 49 51 52 ••• 79 80