View allAll Photos Tagged ionic
Dodona (Doric Greek: Δωδώνᾱ, Dōdṓnā, Ionic and Attic Greek: Δωδώνη,[1] Dōdṓnē) in Epirus in northwestern Greece was an oracle devoted to a Mother Goddess identified at other sites with Rhea or Gaia, but here called Dione, who was joined and partly supplanted in historical times by the Greek deity Zeus.
The shrine of Dodona was regarded as the oldest Hellenic oracle, possibly dating to the second millennium BCE according to Herodotus. Situated in a remote region away from the main Greek poleis, it was considered second only to the oracle of Delphi in prestige. Priestesses and priests in the sacred grove interpreted the rustling of the oak (or beech) leaves to determine the correct actions to be taken. According to a new interpretation, the oracular sound originated from bronze objects hanging from oak branches and sounded with the wind blowing, similar to a wind chime.[2] Aristotle considered the region around Dodona to have been part of Hellas and the region where the Hellenes originated.[3] The oracle was first under the control of the Thesprotians before it passed into the hands of the Molossians.[4] It remained an important religious sanctuary until the rise of Christianity during the Late Roman era.
Location: Dodoni, Ioannina, Epirus, Greece
Ionic column capitals on the front face of the building.
Construction started in 1920, completed ten years later. Heritage listed. Prentice Hall architects.
"Grandes realizações não são feitas por impulso, mas por uma soma de pequenas realizações."
Vincent Van Gogh
Ionic isn't new to the mobile app development market. Created in 2013 as an open-source SDK for hybrid mobile applications, Ionic now has more than 5 million apps built using it. It's known for providing platform-specific UI elements through a library of native components for iOS and Android. Check out our video to know more about Ionic.
#Ionic #Apps #Development
Check Out Our Previous video about eCommerce Statistics -
See Flutter Development Infographics Also -
Contact Claritus for the Mobile Apps Development Services -
Connect With us in our active Social Media Channels -
Facebook - bit.ly/2ND9kdx
Linked In - bit.ly/2ZmDlFO
Twitter - bit.ly/2zF5IQl
Pinterest - bit.ly/30ISa1Y.
Capital of an Ionic column beside the main entrance of the Cuthburtson Block, on May Street at Victoria Avenue.
The Academy of Art and the nearby outdoor Greek amphitheater have several column from the Classical orders.
. . . Ionic order, which encloses a delicate second-floor balcony with a balustrade of slender turned spindles.
"Enhancing the balcony, a similar low rail of turned spindles graces the entire facade at ground level, leading to the simple covered porch supported by smaller Ionic columns.
"The low-sloping hip roof, with very narrow unadorned eave, carries three simple pedimented dormers.
"The facade of running bond and large single-paned sash windows, topped by simple stone lintels and sills, shows an elegant and intentional austerity common to the Federal style."
--Sally Kilmer, writing in West PA magazine.
"All of the architectural descriptions for Miler Park homes were provided by Franklin native Sally Reib Kilmer, who holds a degree in Design from Penn State and a Master of Architecture from SUNY Buffalo. While her four daughters were growing up, she taught Building Construction, Architectural Drawing and related courses at Buffalo State College, and worked for Iskalo Development in their Design Department." --West PA mag.
Photographer unknown.
Detail of the ionic capital
Built 1845, by Raphael Brandon, as a Corn Exchange, much of it
reconstructed in 1925-6, now the Co-Op Bank.
grade II listed www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-117030-the-albert-hal...
Originally posted for GuessWhereUK
guessed by BC&IKB
Ionic Structure of Glass by Dominick Labino(1979), cast and fused glass, 60 inches across, Corning Museum of Glass. Photo by Wayne Stratz(2014).
blog.cmog.org/2014/04/15/behind-the-%CA%BBionic-structure...
The Temple of Artemis at Sardis was one of the largest shrines of the Classical World, only three other Ionic temples rivalled it for size, the Artemis Temple at Ephesus, the Apollo Temple at Didyma, and the Hera Temple on Samos. (all of which bar Samos we visited on this trip).
Despite it's ruined condition with only two of the columns surviving at full height the enormous scale of the building continues to inspire awe, several Ionic capitals stand at ground level and give a sense of the fine detail as well as impressive size.
At the rear of the temple is a small ruined Byzantine chapel, suggesting the great building must have been converted to Christian use before it's eventual demise.
The temple we see today was begun c300 BC but left unfinished until the Roman period, when renovation was also necessary following earthquake damage. The decorative finishes were never completed, as is attested by the unfluted columns.
For more see the following article
www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/sardis-temple-of-artem...
Ionic temple dedicated to Athena, Poseidon, Erechtheus, and other chthonic deities of Attica, 421-406 B.C.
Go here for more information:
store.alencorp.com/Air-Purifiers-s/1.htm
Our T300 tower air purifier has our signature HEPA air filtration, an ozone-safe ionizer, an ultraviolet light and an activated carbon filter. The filter in the T300 air purifier captures irritating allergens like pollen, mold spores, dust and pet dander. The T300 air purifier also has an ozone-safe ionizer that has been proven to promote a healthy environment. The built in activated carbon filter in the T300 air purifier eliminates odor.
You may have seen advertisements or seen in stores similar in appearance tower air purifiers — these are ionic air purifiers that use ozone producing ionizers to charge particles and collect them on metal plates. The ozone-safe T300 air purifier has tested 1,000% better than these ionic air purifiers. Similar sleek design but the T300 air purifier won't product ozone and will improve your home's air quality and environment!
Santa Maria la Scala è una frazione del comune di Acireale, in provincia di Catania.Il borgo si trova sulla costa ionica ai piedi della Timpa, a circa 3 chilometri da Acireale, di cui costituisce il più prossimo sbocco a mare. Gli abitanti sono localmente conosciuti con il nome di scaloti. La chiesa parrocchiale è del XVII secolo.L'abitato sorge ai piedi della Timpa di Acireale e si raccoglie attorno al porticciolo detto Scalo Grande, allungandosi sull'angusto lungomare verso sud. All'estremità meridionale della frazione vi è un mulino ad acqua alimentato dalla sorgente Miuccio che sgorga a pochi metri dal mare dalle pareti rocciose della Timpa e che è di notevole rilevanza naturalistica. A nord dell'abitato, accessibile via mare, si trova la Grotta delle palombe (Grotta dei colombi), una grotta in un complesso do basalti colonnari ormai pesantemente danneggiata dalle mareggiate. Secondo la leggenda era un rifugio amoroso del pastore Aci e della ninfa Galatea.I collegamenti con Acireale sono assicurati da un'unica strada provinciale che sostituisce la vecchia via denominata le Chiazzette, non carrozzabile, che costituisce il percorso più breve di collegamento con la città ed è oggi un interessante itinerario naturalistico attraverso la riserva naturale della Timpa.L'economia di Santa Maria la Scala aveva la sua voce più importante nella pesca col suo porto naturale, protetto da una darsena artificiale e accessibile a imbarcazioni medio piccole. La flotta di pescherecci si è ridotta a pochissime unità e ripara ad Acitrezza. Sono sviluppate le attività di ristorazione e ricettive.Il borgo è inoltre da giugno a settembre frequentata località balneare con le sue scogliere di grossi ciottoli di pietra lavica levigati dal moto ondoso (in siciliano cocole). Le autolinee degli autobus lo collegano ad Acireale. Durante la stagione estiva è anche di sera meta di turismo locale, anche per alcune manifestazioni organizzate dagli esercenti.E’ una costa bella ed ondulata quella di Acireale: verdissima di palmizi e di aranceti. Molte le ville e le abitazioni, ma non a sufficienza da renderla vittima di una cementificazione eccessiva o nasconderne la bellezza. Per godere della risacca e del mare limpido di Sicilia, la spiaggia più bella è quella del Mulino, nella zona della riserva della Timpa. Ci si arriva grazie ad un sentiero che scende dal piccolo borgo marinaro di Santa Maria la Scala. In tutta questa zona, bellissima per le passeggiate sulla costa, ci sono diverse spiaggette di sabbia, incorniciate dalla folta vegetazione.
Item Details: Ionic - Item: Nordic House Winter | Genre: Builds | Price: 950L
Teleport to The Outlet
www.seraphimsl.com/2024/11/05/50-off-from-ionic-only-at-t...
Taken at the Ionic Spell Collective, now sadly gone.
This photograph is in Tizzy's Second Life Gallery in the Woods.
From the east portico front. I only noticed from the photo that there is some damage to the egg and dart mouldings on the abacus.
My husband is taking Mineralife’s copper supplement. His copper level was 40, almost completely gone. He's been taking it for over 2 months now and he is actually feeling better than ever. The doc seems to think its from the copper supplement and is amazed at how quick he improved. Ionic minerals are the way to go, hands down
- Debbie Lica
Spaghetti, con_occhi_di_bue,litorale, ionico, ripostese, orecchie, d'elefante, fraieddi, in_umido, GianMaria, Le, Mura, maidireristorante, Gastone, Giarre, Riposto,;
My comrade is into archery so he had to point out every depiction of Diana/Artemis there was. There were a lot. He would then comment on how realistic the bow was.
Also, I pronounce Artemis as "Atermis".
This Greek Revival home was designed by prominent local architect, James I. Hagaman, for himself in 1833. The main section is fronted by four Ionic columns which support a large pediment, giving the house a temple like appearance. The wings were added in the mid-1800s. Hagaman designed several public, commercial, religious and residential buildings. He also ran a school of architecture and drawing. From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th- century, it was also the home of the Munson and Baldwin families. A dentist now occupies the house. Located at 68 South Street in Auburn, NY. (AS/80)
IONIC
UK
IDNo:1115337
Year:1902
Name:IONIC
Keel:
Type:Passenger/cargo (rf)
Launch Date:22.5.02
Flag:GBR
Date of completion:15.12.02
Tons:12232
Link:1600
DWT:
Yard No:346
Length overall:
Ship Design:
LPP:152.5
Country of build:GBR
Beam:19.3
Builder:Harland & Wolff
Material of build:
Location of yard:Belfast
Number of
screws/Mchy/
Speed(kn):2Q-14
Naval or paramilitary marking :
A:*
End:1937
Subsequent History:
Disposal Data:
BU Yokohama 16.6.37
Details: Mirimar Ship Index
Photo Credits: The Alexander Turnbull Library NZ
Port Augusta. Population 14,100.
Pt Augusta has a population of 14,000 people of which almost 20% are of Aboriginal descent. Nationally 3.8% of the Australian population is Aboriginal. Port Augusta is the fourth largest town outside Adelaide after Mt Gambier, Whyalla and Murray Bridge. Part of the reason for the current large Aboriginal population of Port Augusta stems from the early establishment of an Aboriginal mission near the city. In 1937 the Christian Brethren Assemblies established an Aboriginal mission in the sand hills just north of the town. The mission was originally called Umeewarra. In 1964 the government took control of the mission and renamed it Davenport Reserve and in 1968 an Aboriginal community council took charge of the Reserve. During the 1970s most of the Aboriginal children fostered out to white families came from Davenport Reserve. Davenport Reserve closed in 1995. Sadly it has been in the news recently for vandalism, degradation of facilities and youth crime rates.
Matthew Flinders mapped the Port Augusta area in 1802. Europeans named it Port Augusta (after Governor Fox Young’s wife) on May 24 1852 when a survey was undertaken. Land was put up for auction in 1854 signalling the start of the town. Previous to this in 1851 the first leases had been granted to pastoralists in the nearby Flinders Ranges - to James Paterson and Messers White and Pollhill. The story of Port Augusta’s growth after this time was influenced by a series of major milestones which developed its industrial and iron/steel usage.
Firstly it was the growth of the port for wool and copper ore. By 1854 pastoral runs in the Flinders Ranges were carting wool to the town for transhipment to England. Then by around 1857, copper was being transported from the Blinman copper mines for shipment overseas. Some copper was smelted in the port before shipment. The Blinman mining company erected their own wharf in Port Augusta in 1863, the first of several private and government wharves. Consequently one of the first significant buildings in the town was the Customs House and Harbour Masters house, erected in 1861 on the site of the present day yacht club. The first bank in this growing commercial centre was the National Bank opened in Gibson Street in 1863. In later years grain and flour from the mills in Quorn and Wilmington were shipped out from the port too. Alexander Tassie was one of the first settlers and the leading merchant in early Port Augusta thus the naming of Tassie Street. Large pastoral companies, like Sir Thomas Elder’s company which had been set up in the town in 1855, had their own wharves. During the 1880s Port Augusta was the second port for the state after Port Adelaide before Port Pirie surpassed it. It finally closed as a working port in 1974. Before that time railway engines, and all sorts of heavy equipment and supplies were all shipped to Port Augusta and lifted from the sailing ships and steamers by cranes.
Second the town got a reliable water supply. In 1865 a water pipe was laid from springs on Woolundunga Station, 14 miles away from Port Augusta. To protect this vital resource the state government stationed a Water Works Superintendent in Port Augusta and built the Water Works Barracks on the town square to house the guards and generally control the town. The heritage listed barracks were erected in 1862 with a Water Works Office next door facing on to Gladstone Square.
Third Port Augusta boomed with the construction of the Overland Telegraph from Port Augusta to Darwin which provided the first cable connection between England and an Australian city- Adelaide. Sir Charles Todd was in charge of the 2,300 kms line which was a remarkable engineering achievement across harsh, sparsely populated, terrain from Port Augusta to Darwin. Everything for the start of the Overland Telegraph from horses, camels, bullocks, hundreds of miles of copper wire, insulators, batteries for repeater stations at every 250 kms (13 in total), supplies for the men and posts for the actual line were unloaded on the wharf in Port Augusta. The line was completed in 1872 after two years of work and the erection of 36,000 poles. Port Augusta already had a telegraph to Adelaide and overseas cables had reached Darwin allowing telegrams to be sent to London. The isolation of Australia stopped by the efforts of Port Augusta. The telegraph was replaced in the early 1970s by microwave radio relays.
Fourth the town was chosen as the site for the Commonwealth Railways to have their major base. When the Federal parliament passed a bill to build a transcontinental railway from Port August across the Nullarbor Plain to Kalgoorlie this provided a rail connection from Eastern Australia to Perth and Western Australia. The building of this railway was to fulfil a promise upon which Western Australia joined the Australian Federation in 1900.
Fifth the Playford government passed legislation to establish a state wide electricity supplier using brown coal mines being developed at Leigh Creek. The first major power station in South Australia was then to be built in Port Augusta.
Industrially Port Augusta was also boosted by thirsty male workers. The first hotel, the Port Augusta Hotel, was licensed in 1855. In 1864 the Northern Hotel was first licensed. More hotels were built and licensed so that by 1878 there were six hotels in the town! Once the railway to Quorn opened the first Railway Terminus Hotel was licensed in 1880. The brewery, which is now part of the Northern Gateway Shopping Centre, first started operations in the early 1870s. In 1879 it was greatly extended by new owners with a high tower, large cellars and more machinery. It faces on to Gladstone Square. Aerated waters were produced as well as beer. Mr. Perrers, the brewery owner also owned the Laura brewery in the 1890s. He sold both breweries to SA Brewing Company in 1894 which closed them. The town had other industries as in 1880 John Dunn, the flour miller from Mt Barker with mills in many SA towns, opened his flour mill in Port Augusta. It received grain by train from Hawker and Quorn districts. The mill finally burnt down in 1926. It was the opening of the Great Northern railway in 1878 which prompted Dunn to build his flour mill. The railway reached Quorn in 1880, Hawker soon afterwards and Farina in 1882.
The 1860s to the 1880s were boom years for the town and it progressed greatly. Private schools were replaced by the first government school in 1878; the Anglican Church opened in 1868; the first Bible Christian Church had opened earlier in 1866 and was replaced in 1885. The large Catholic Church was built in 1883. A few years later the first Catholic Bishop of Port Augusta diocese was appointed and the first cathedral services held in the church in 1888. The first Bishop resided in Port Augusta, the second Bishop lived in Pekina and the third moved his Bishop’s Palace and the Pro Cathedral to Peterborough in 1912. The seat of the diocese was moved from Port Augusta to Port Pirie in 1951 when the Diocese became the diocese of Port Pire. The town’s Post Office was built in 1866 with a telegraph service to Adelaide starting in 1871. The town’s first newspaper started in 1877; the corporation of Port Augusta was gazetted in 1875. A wharf had been established in 1871 at Port Augusta West. A wooden hut served as the first police station in Point Augusta from around 1855 where Mr. Minchin the Sub-Protector of Aborigines also worked. It was sent by ship from Port Adelaide and assembled upon being landed. A second wooden Police Station and Courthouse was built in 1867. It was replaced in 1884 by the grand stone Courthouse. Note the VR insignia for Victoria Regina above the doors of the old Courthouse. The big event of this decade was the start of the train service to Quorn in 1878 reaching Quorn in 1882 and it was finally extended to Marree by 1884.
From 1875 the first council meetings were held in the old Institute building in Commercial Street. The corporation then borrowed £6,000 for the erection of a Town Hall suitable for a progressive town like Port Augusta. This impressive classical style building next to the Institute was sadly vacant for decades. It has recently been restored and operates as an up-market motel. The building was made of stone quarried near Quorn, with Ionic columns and a square tower topped with a pyramidal dome and cupola. The summit was 72 feet above the footpath! From its opening day in 1887 the Town Hall had electric lighting from its own generating supply thanks to the efforts of a local Councillor and the superintendent of Water Works in Port Augusta Mr Hullett. In 1885 he developed a small hydraulic engine plant at his residence to provide electric lighting for his dining room. This was the first house in SA to have electricity. Mr Hullett was responsible for the electricity plant for the opening of the Town Hall. Also in 1884 he invented and patented a double track railway truck. In 1886 he presented the Council with a plan for electric street lighting in Port Augusta. Power was to be supplied by Dunn and Co millers on the wharf. When the lights of the Town Hall were first switched on the town was agog with the new marvel of electric lighting. The 1881 census showed that Port Augusta had over 2,100 citizens. The first bridge across the Gulf to Port Augusta West opened in 1927 and the town received its first reliable water supply in 1944 from the Morgan to Whyalla water pipeline. There is a memorial arbour to Ada Woodcock in front of the old Institute as she was a long time Councillor, a community worker and writer of the social columns of the Port Augusta newspaper.
In 1888, John Henry Reid discovered coal-bearing shale in the Leigh Creek area. This discovery led to the establishment of underground workings but only small quantities of coal were extracted and operations ceased in 1894. It was not until 1940 that work started again on searching for useable coal, with plans for an open cut mine. Premier Sir Thomas Playford saw that the electricity supply industry would be the largest user of Leigh Creek coal, and control of the coalfield was transferred by the government to the Electricity Trust of South Australia in 1948 by act of parliament. The story behind this is one of the drive, foresight and determination of Premier Sir Thomas Playford. SA was the only state with no good supplies of coal and during World War Two SA was left with no power supply on occasions due to strikes and war needs in NSW. Playford wanted SA to be self-reliant for power but the progress to develop brown coal for power generation was difficult. Brown coal had not been used anywhere in the world, and some scientists said it could never be used, to produce electricity. SA pioneered its use. The first bill introduced to parliament was defeated in the Legislative Council. Playford then courted some upper house members and finally got his bill through parliament to establish the coal field in 1946. He had started out on this course in 1943. Part of the political deal was to supply electricity to country towns and regions. If the bill had been defeated Playford would have resigned.
ETSA had control of the coal field and after seeking tenders for special boilers to burn the brown coal at the Osborne Power Station, decided to establish a power station at Port Augusta. The new power station was named the Playford power station when it opened in 1954. A second power station was built in 1963 and together they produced around 70% of SA’s electricity in the 1960s and reduced to about 40% once Torrens Island power station opened in 1967. Both Port Augusta power station are now closed (2016) and totally demolished. They used to employ around 450 people in Port Augusta and Leigh Creek but sadly that has all ended too. The Leigh Creek coalfields closed in April of 2016 with SA reverting to reliance on the eastern states of Australia through a probably unstable interstate connector, supplemented with wind and solar power from SA.
With Federation in 1901 came the promise to build a transcontinental railway line to link Kalgoorlie (and Perth) with Port Augusta and the eastern states. In 1912 the Commonwealth Railways was formed to build the transcontinental line from Port Augusta to Kalgoorlie. Like the Overland Telegraph this was major engineering feat through harsh, waterless country with extremes of temperatures. Politicians wavered and it was 1907 before the legislation for the route survey was passed and 1911 before the money bills were also passed and agreed upon. The first ships with materials from Newcastle steel rails and sleepers to tools arrived on Port Augusta wharves in 1912. Similar materials were railed to Kalgoorlie at the other end. The line was to be 1,700 kms long. Up to 4 kms of track was laid each day and it took about 2.5 million sleepers with about 1.3m landed at Port Augusta. The two tracks met at Ooldea in October 1917. One of the first engine drivers for one leg of the trip from Port Augusta to Kalgoorlie was George Hogan, Anne Woodcock’s grandfather. With the railway completed Port Augusta became a hub for Commonwealth Railways. South Australian Railways also serviced Port Augusta with a line to Adelaide via Quorn and Peterborough. In 1937 that changed to a direct line via Port Pirie.
The Commonwealth government established their major railway workshops in Port Augusta which became a major employer in the town. Around 85% of the Commonwealth Railways tracks were focussed on Port Augusta. Over the years the Commonwealth Railways added more lines to Sth Aust. with a new line to the Leigh Creek coalfields in 1956, by passing Pichi Richi and Quorn. They extended that line to Maree where a change of gauge occurred for the continuing Old Ghan railway to Alice Springs. Commonwealth Railways also built a new line to Whyalla in 1972.
After the bombing of Darwin the Commonwealth Railways decided all railway station signage should be removed, and all stations and the Port Augusta workshops were to have blackout conditions. This was relaxed some time later when the Japanese threat was less likely. Also during the war there was a great shortage of labour and so for the first time in 1942 the Commonwealth railways employed 33 women as train cleaners. The CR also used some 300 Italian prisoners of war in six work camps along the transcontinental line to assist fettlers and track maintenance. After the war in 1952 CR introduced diesel electric engines to obviate the need for good water supplies across the Nullarbor Plain. This had always been a problem. The engines were made by Clyde Engineering in Sydney and shipped to Port Augusta and unload on the wharf. From then onwards they were overhauled and maintained in the Port Augusta workshops. Most of the passenger carriages were totally made in Port Augusta and rolling stock and freight cars were overhauled there too. By 1951 some 350 men were employed in the railway workshops plus the clerical staff, the supplies store staff and train crew members. Commonwealth Railways was the major employer with well over a 1,000 employees based in and around Port Augusta and scores more out on the railway lines from Port Augusta. This figure doubled to about 2,000 employees in the 1970s and 1980s. The Stores department not only provided uniforms, fuel, materials etc but they also provided groceries, fresh meat, clothing and more to the fettlers and their families stretched across western SA and the Nullarbor Plain. The famous Tea and Sugar train carted these supplies and medical supplies to these isolated people. For the children Father Christmas made the journey as well in December each year. Little remains of the extensive railway workshops in Port Augusta but the scale and importance of them can still be gauged from visiting that area.
In 1975, just 8 days after the federal election Premier Don Dunstan gave the South Australian Railway network to Prime Minster Gough Whitlam and the federal government. The deal was arranged between the two men before the federal election. Most of the South Australian Railways staff were transferred to the Commonwealth Railways albeit reluctantly in some cases. A little later Commonwealth Railways took over the Tasmanian railways too and Commonwealth Railways became Australian National Railways. From 1980 it was known as Australian National. In 1980 Australian National built a new line from Tarcoola to Alice Springs resulting in the closure of the old line through Leigh Creek and Maree. This project included a spur line from Pimba to Woomera. In 1997 when Australian National was wound up, the sale cost the federal government around $2 billion dollars as the system had failed and was not successful. Around $779 million was owed in debt and $580 million was needed for superannuation liabilities etc. Passenger services were privatised at that time with Great Southern Rail taking them over and then they basically closed all lines down except for the Adelaide Perth line and the Adelaide Sydney line through Broken Hill and the Adelaide Melbourne line. Shortly afterwards in 1998 Australian RailTrack Corporation (government) was formed to own and control the tracks and left most of South Australia’s rail network to rot or to be removed. However, in 1997 there was hope of new railway to Darwin which was completed in January 2004 when the first freight train rolled out of Port Augusta on its way to Darwin and the enlarged Port of Darwin. It too is operated by Great Southern Rail.
The current major employer of Port Augusta, since the closure of the two ETSA power stations, is the high security prison. The Port Augusta Prison houses 617 prisoners including a special unit for 36 Aboriginal offenders and another for about 25 female offenders. The first prison was built in Port Augusta in 1869 and it remained with little change or additions until 1972 when a new prison as built at Stirling North. This 1972 prison has since been upgraded. The old prison was known as Greenbush and nearly all prisoners were Aboriginal and Aboriginal people still make up a high proportion of inmates at Stirling North. Port Augusta prison is the largest regional prison in SA and employs around 400 workers.
Port Augusta has a population of 14,000 people of which almost 20% are of Aboriginal descent. Nationally 2.3% of the Australian population is Aboriginal. Port Augusta is the fourth largest town outside Adelaide after Mt Gambier, Whyalla and Murray Bridge.
The first inhabitants of the area were the Nukunu Aboriginal people. The division with the Ngadjuri people was the eastern slopes of the Mount Lofty Ranges and the Southern Flinders Ranges. So the Ngadjuri occupied lands from near Gawler right up to Hawker and beyond, whilst west of the mountains was the tribal area of the Nukunu. Part of the reason for the current large Aboriginal population of Port Augusta stems from the early establishment of an aboriginal mission near the city. In 1937 the Christian Brethren Assemblies established an aboriginal mission in the sand hills just north of the town. The main focus was to provide a home, schooling and medical services for children separated from their families. The mission was originally called Umeewarra. Some parents also lived on the mission whilst their children attended school. Children were trained in woodwork, needlework, cooking, crafts and religion. In 1964 the government took control of the mission and renamed it Davenport Reserve and in 1968 an aboriginal community council took charge of the Reserve. During the 1970s most of the children there were fostered out to white families. Davenport Reserve closed in 1995.
The history of Port Augusta is significant in explaining the history of the northern regions of the state. The local Aboriginal people called the place Curdnatta, meaning plenty of sand. Matthew Flinders had mapped the area in 1802. Europeans named it Port Augusta on May 24 1852 when a survey was undertaken. Land was put up for auction in 1854 signalling the start of the town. Previous to this in 1851 the first leases had been granted in the district to James Paterson, and Messers White and Pollhill. By 1854 these runs and others further north in the Flinders Ranges were carting wool to the town for transhipment to England. Then by around 1857, copper was being transported from the Blinman copper mines to Port Augusta for shipment overseas. Some copper was smelted in the port before shipment. The Blinman mining company erected their own wharf in Port Augusta in 1863, the first of several private and government wharves. The prosperity of the town was sealed in these early years as a major port of SA for wool, and for copper. Consequently one of the first significant buildings in the town was the Customs House, erected in 1861 on the site of the present yacht club. The first bank in this growing commercial centre was the National Bank opened in Gibson Street in 1863. The first Rounsevell coach, operated on behalf of Cobb and Co via Melrose, arrived with mail for Port Augusta in 1864. In later years grain and flour from the mills in Quorn and Wilmington were shipped out from the port too.
The first hotel, the Port Augusta Hotel, was licensed in 1855! This was followed by the licensing of the Dover Castle Hotel in 1856 which was later demolished in 1878. In 1864 the Northern Hotel was first licensed. More hotels were licensed in later decades such as the Western Hotel (in Port Augusta West) and the Globe Inn in 1871. The first two storey hotel erected was the Royal Hotel in 1877. Taylor’s Hotel, later the Exchange was opened in 1878. MacKay’s Hotel of 1878 soon became the Flinders hotel. So by 1878 there were six hotels in the town! Once the railway to Quorn opened the first Railway Terminus Hotel was licensed in 1880.
The brewery, which is now part of the Northern Gateway Shopping Centre, first started operations in the early 1870s. In 1879 it was greatly extended by new owners with a high tower, large cellars and more machinery. Aerated waters were produced as well as beer. Mr. Perrers, the brewery owner also owned the Laura brewery in the 1890s. He sold both breweries to SA Brewing Company in 1894.
When drought struck in 1865 a boiling down works was established in the town to produce tallow from sheep and cattle that could not be fed. This closed down in 1870 when better seasons returned. From the earliest days a water pipe had been laid from springs on Woolundunga Station 14 miles away. The 1860s and 1870s were boom years for the town and it progressed greatly. Private schools were replaced by the first government school in 1878; the Anglican Church was opened in 1868; the first Bible Christian Church had opened earlier in 1866. The town’s post office was built in 1866 with a telegraph service starting four years later. The town’s first newspaper started in 1877; the corporation of Port Augusta was gazetted in 1875; several hotels were operating by then, most having been established in the late 1850s or early 1860s. A wharf had been established in 1871 at Port Augusta West, a new subdivision and a large new government jetty was erected in 1877. Large pastoral companies, like Sir Thomas Elder’s company which had been set up in the town in 1855, had their own wharves. Towards the end of the 1870s a Wesleyan Methodist church was built (1878) and the town was preparing for the exciting advances of the 1880s.
A wooden hut served as the first police station in Point Augusta from around 1855 where Mr. Minchin the Sub-Protector of Aborigines also worked. It was sent by ship from Port Adelaide and assembled upon being landed. A new stone police station and court house was built in 1867. This was where the first police barracks were located. Later in 1884 the current Court House was erected and the old wooden police station was dismantled. Note the VR for Victoria Regina above the doors.
The big events of this decade were the arrival of the train service from Quorn in 1882, and the erection of the lavish and grand town hall in 1887. The great northern railway started in 1878 and reached Quorn in 1880 and Farina beyond Hawker in 1882. It was eventually extended to Oodnadatta in 1892.
From 1875 the first council meetings were held in the old institute building. The corporation then borrowed £6,000 for the erection of a town hall suitable for a progressive town like Port Augusta. This impressive classical style building situated in the main street is sadly now vacant and in disrepair. It was made of stone quarried near Quorn, with Ionic columns and a square tower topped with a pyramidal dome and cupola. The summit was 72 feet above the footpath! From its opening day the town hall had electric lighting from its own generating supply. Also in the 1880s came the new court house, still a magnificent building which was opened in 1884. The Catholic Church and presbytery were also erected in the 1880s, finally opening in 1883. A few years later the first Bishop of Port Augusta (Willochra) diocese was consecrated and the first cathedral services held in 1888.
Industrially in 1880 John Dunn, the flour miller from Mt Barker with mills in many SA towns opened his flour mill in Port Augusta. This finally burnt down in 1926. The Port Augusta hospital was started around 1880 on Cudmore Hill- the Cudmores were a major pastoralist family of South Australia. The 1881 census showed that Port Augusta had over 1,100 citizens and the district, which included Port Augusta West over 2,100 residents. During the 1880s Port Augusta was the second port for the state after Port Adelaide. It finally closed as a working port in 1974. The first bridge across to Port Augusta West was opened in 1927.
With Federation in 1901 came the promise to build a transcontinental railway line to link Kalgoorlie (and Perth) with Port Augusta and the eastern states. This line was finally completed in 1917 and Port Augusta then became a hub for Commonwealth Railways, in addition to South Australian Railways. The port activities declined as a major employer in the town. The Commonwealth government established their major Commonwealth railway workshops in Port Augusta which became a major employer in the town until 1997 when Australian National Railways (the former Commonwealth Railways) were privatised. However, there was hope of new railway work when in January 2004 the first freight train rolled out of Port Augusta on its way to the new rail had of Darwin and the enlarged Port of Darwin. Prior to this time the northern railways had terminated in Alice Springs. Below, Port Augusta from the Water Tower Lookout.
The stoa had 35 Ionic columns at the front and 19 shops at the back. Built in 50 AD by Tiberius Claudius Sophanes.
a complete copy inspired by a contact Darrell Godliman, go visit his work.
I also think that I might need to invest in a new 18-55mm lens.
The Ionic order is one of the three orders of classical architecture, the others being Doric and Corinthian. It is most recognizable by its columns. Every column is made of a base, a shaft, and the volute on top. In the Ionic order, the volute is shaped like scrolls or spirals.
On the way back from Canons Ashby in Northamptonshire, we went in the afternoon on the May Day Bank Holiday Monday to Farnborough Hall in Warwickshire.
It's not open much, just on Saturday and Wednesday afternoons and on Bank Holiday's. Photos inside of the hall was not allowed as it is still a private home. But owned by the National Trust.
Farnborough Hall is a country house just inside the borders of Warwickshire, England near to the town of Banbury, (grid reference SP4349). The property has been owned by the National Trust since 1960 when the Holbech family endowed it to them, and is still run and lived in by Geoffrey Holbech's daughter Caroline Beddall and her family. It is a Grade I listed building.
The Holbech family acquired the Farnborough estate in 1684 and the honey-coloured two-storey stone house was built soon after.
The Ionic Temple seen in the distance, in the Farnborough Park which we didn't got around.
Grade II* Listed Building
Listing Text
FARNBOROUGH
SP 4349 Farnborough Hall
1195/16/11
The Ionic Temple
(formerly listed
as: Ionic Temple)
30.5.67
GV II*
Temple. c1750. Probably designed by Sanderson Miller and built by William Hiorns for William Holbech. Limestone ashlar and imitation ashlar render. Slate roof. Pedimented tetrastyle Ionic portico with fluted frieze and moulded cornice. Interior plastered. Forms an important feature of the Terrace Walk, probably by Miller; a major example of mid C18 landscape design. (Sources: Jackson-Stops G: Farnborough Hall: National Trust Guidebook: 1984; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966: 293; Nares G: Farnborough Hall: Country Life: 11 and 18 February 1954; Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England (English Heritage): Part 42 Warwickshire).
Listing NGR: SP4308349066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Archaeological excavation is still underway to unearth more artifacts.
The house lies along the secondary road that leads to the Theater. The original structure dates to the 2nd century AD. The domus, which must have belonged to one of the aristocratic families of the city, is organised in various rooms that open onto a central square peristyle, with 3 columns per side surmounted by Ionic capitals that have given the name to the house. During the 4th century AD, the house was radically reconstructed with the creation of a reception hall, with an opus sectile pavement and the definition of a new living area in the eastern part of the insula. An important discovery is an inscription painted on the wall of an early Byzantine house with the prayer of Manasses, a biblical apocryphal text. The earthquake of the first half of the 7th century led to the destruction of the houses.
@Pamukale, Turkey (05092019AD)