View allAll Photos Tagged geometricpatterns
Geometric , Geometric Patterns , Geometric Pattern , Geometry , Patterns , crop circles , sacred geometry , Jai Deco , geometry , vinyl ,
Although not famous for its Art Deco architecture, the provincial Victorian city of Ballarat, which was established between the 1860s and 1880s when the area was at the centre of a gold rush, does have some fine examples of interwar and post war architecture when the gold boom was replaced with wealth generated through grazing and agriculture.
During the 1920s and 1930s, those people thriving from farming or local industry had plenty to spend in local shops. This wonderful Art Deco facade (circa 1925 - 1930) belongs to the PPL Building in Ballarat's main shopping thoroughfare, Sturt Street. Whilst the street level may have fallen victim to the changes in marketing, the upper floors remain unchanged by fickle owners. It still retains its striking minimalist Art Deco design. It features the building's name in a rounded cartouche on the building's corner facade which overlooks Albert Street. The PPL Building has a stylised stepped roofline, long spandrels with rounded edging and glass brick windows, all of which were popular architectural features of the Art Deco movement in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The rounded edges are very representative of the Streamline Moderne movement, and the building is everything a smart and successful business would want in the booming interwar years in Australia.
Collection: Cornell University Collection of Political Americana, Cornell University Library
Repository: Susan H. Douglas Political Americana Collection, #2214 Rare & Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library, Cornell University
Title: Cleveland Pressed Glass Portrait Plate, ca. 1884
Political Party: Democratic
Election Year: 1884
Date Made: ca. 1884
Measurement: Plate (diameter): x 11.5 in.; x 29.21 cm
Classification: Decorative Arts
Persistent URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1813.001/5z8r
There are no known U.S. copyright restrictions on this image. The digital file is owned by the Cornell University Library which is making it freely available with the request that, when possible, the Library be credited as its source.
Although not famous for its Art Deco architecture, the provincial Victorian city of Ballarat, which was established between the 1860s and 1880s when the area was at the centre of a gold rush, does have some fine examples of interwar and post war architecture when the gold boom was replaced with wealth generated through grazing and agriculture.
During the 1920s and 1930s, those people thriving from farming or local industry had plenty to spend in local shops. This wonderful Art Deco facade (circa 1925 - 1930) belongs to the PPL Building in Ballarat's main shopping thoroughfare, Sturt Street. Whilst the street level may have fallen victim to the changes in marketing, the upper floors remain unchanged by fickle owners. It still retains its striking minimalist Art Deco design. It features the building's name in a rounded cartouche on the building's corner facade which overlooks Albert Street. The PPL Building has a stylised stepped roofline, long spandrels with rounded edging and glass brick windows, all of which were popular architectural features of the Art Deco movement in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The rounded edges are very representative of the Streamline Moderne movement, and the building is everything a smart and successful business would want in the booming interwar years in Australia.
I've been experimenting with patterns and colors using programs like Paintshop Pro Photo X2, Painter 4, and Photoshop CS5. These two I used PSP Photo X2 to create the black outlines and general shape and then painted them in Painter 4.
This wonderful Metroland "Mock Tudor" Art Deco Villa can be found in the Melbourne suburb of Essendon.
Well proportioned, the stand alone villa with white painted stuccoed brick walls with picked out brown and red feature bricks in geometric patterns beneath the eaves and around the enclosed vestibule was very much the style of home that aspirational middle-class families in the 1920s saught. Cottage like in style, it is not too showy, yet represented the comfort and modernity that the burgeoning Australian middle-class wanted.
This house has a beautiful garden of old shrubs and ornamental trees, some of which may be part of the original plantings made back in the 1920s when the house was first built. The property is surrounded by the original low brick wall featuring brick nogging and cornices, which are echoed on the villa's "olde English" chimney.
This villa is almost exactly the same as another I found in Essendon on an earlier visit: www.flickr.com/photos/40262251@N03/6088446999 The only real differences are that this villa has different picked out brick patterns and that it has a latticed nook to the far left of the house, whereas the other villa has an arched window in the same shape.
Essendon was etablished in the 1860s and became an area of affluence and therefore only had middle-class, upper middle-class and some very wealthy citizens. A villa like this may have required the employment of a live-in maid or two to assist the mistress of the house keep the villa well maintained.
This neat Metroland villa in the provincial Victorian city of Ballarat, would have been perfect for a middle-class family.
This house with its low slung roof line features a stuccoed brick facade and cottage like windows, giving it a cozy and simple elegance which so popular across Britain and her dominions during the 1920s and 1930s. Perhaps its most striking features is the Jazz Age Art Deco vestibule enclosure which has bands of red and brown bricks between the stuccoed panels, and a geometric design over the entrance. The red brick and roughcast fence, half of which has been covered by ivy, is also original to the villa.
The Metroland style, was most popular between the two World Wars, especially in the new garden suburbs and ribbon developments that appeared during this period.
This style of house would have appealed to the newly moneyed middle-classes who built homes in the burgeoning suburbs around old town centres around the world. Comfortable and very English, it would have represented the ability to afford chic modernity rather than the fusy Victorian and Edwardian villas of their forebears.
Located on Ballarat’s Doveton Street, the former Lutheran Church was built in 1876 to the grand designs of local Ballarat architect C. D. Figgis and was constructed by Taylor & Ellis.
The church building is architecturally quite striking with a formal composition with elements of a Ruskinian Italian Gothic style. It features with banded brick arches, Lombardic motifs and an attenuated version of a stepped arcaded corbel table leading to the central tower. The tall blind arcading of the tower is similar to the Campanile at Venice. The tower has an arcaded corbel table with trefoil arches, above which is a parapet with quatrefoil openings surmounted by a slate clad pyramidal roof. The lower part of the building consists of more conventional elements. There are two occuli in the gable ends flanking the tower and the banded Gothic openings have nail head brick label moulds. At the base of the tower there are two entrance doors under a Gothic banded arch surrounded by cream brick nail head moulding, and an outer Scotia label mould; these continue down to a low impost height and return horizontally as a string course across the facade. Banded Gothic openings and a patterned string course at low impost height lightens the heaviness of the red brickwork. The side elevation has the same nail head and Scotia string course at impost level rising up as stilted segmental arches over the double lancet windows in each of the five bays. The combination of unusual elements in patterned relief brickwork, and the imposing superimposed Venetian Campanile combine to make this a unique church composition.
Situated at 25 to 29 Barkly Street in the Victorian provincial city of Ballarat, the former East Ballarat Free Library is to this day, still an imposing building. When it was built in 1867, it must have been even more imposing, as it would have been one of only a few permanent structures in the area, which was filled with tents as the are was hit by goldmining fever.
The East Ballarat Free Library is not only imposing, but has an unusual design using polychromatic brickwork to define separate highly individual elements of the facade, rather like much of the Methodist Church architecture built during slightly later periods. The library is the only known work of the architect C. Ohlfsen Bagge, and dates from 1867. At that date it represents an early use of coloured brick-work in Victoria. The building is of architectural importance as an early example of the polychromatic Gothic Revival style which survives substantially intact with a number of fine interiors including the spiral staircase, the original library, the hall and the pine-lined rear rooms. The construction of the front section of the Barkly Street was completed in 1869. C. Ohlfsen-Bagge acted as honorary architect and the interior design and supervision as carried out by J. J. Lorenz. The builders were Boulton and Fyfe and the interiors were completed by Fly Brothers.
Established in 1862 the East Ballarat Free Library was amongst the earliest of Ballarat's social and educational institutions and when housed in its own building in Barkly Street, the library built up an outstanding collection which was second in Australia only to the State Library of Victoria . It served as a focal point for educational purposes; the school of design founded there in 1870 advancing to become the Ballarat East branch of the school of mines in the 1900s. The library was officially closed in 1973 after a life of 111 years. The books were taken to the Camp Street Library and the Ballarat Historical Society's exhibits were moved from Camp St to the Old Ballarat East Library. In 1980 the Ballarat School of Mines Council presented a proposal to the Ballarat City Council regarding occupying and managing the East Ballarat Free Library as a School of Traditional Crafts. The proposal included maintaining the building in optimum condition. In 1983, land formally occupied by the East Ballarat Free Library in Barkly St was gazetted as a reserve for educational purposes and allocated to the Ballarat School of Mines. In 1987 the former East Ballarat Library reopened after extensive renovations and repairs, as the Management Training Centre of the Ballarat School of Mines.
Built in a quiet cul-de-sac in a ribbon development along a tramline during the late 1920s or early 1930s, "Fabra Dare", a neat asymmetrical Spanish Mission style villa, may be found in the Melbourne suburb of Coonans Hill.
The stucco wall finish and barley twist columns pay homage to the Spanish Mission style. The three arches of the porch and its flat roofline edged with terracotta tiles give "Fabra Dare" a more of a hacienda look, which was very much the aim of the Spanish Mission style. Under the eaves of the villa and around the top of the porch canopy you can just make out a faint diamond pattern frieze which has been clogged with years of coats of paint. The villa also features geometric patterned leadlight glass windows in a very stylised Art Deco pattern.
The Spanish Mission style was typically a style that emerged in California during the interwar years and spread across the world.
Geometric , Geometric Patterns , Geometric Pattern , Geometry , Patterns , crop circles , sacred geometry , Jai Deco , geometry , vinyl ,
Geometric , Geometric Patterns , Geometric Pattern , Geometry , Patterns , crop circles , sacred geometry , Jai Deco , geometry , vinyl ,
This block of Art Deco flats in East Melbourne has a wonderful entranceway with geometric Jazz Age designs around it.
This block of flats is typical of the Art Deco architecture that came out of England after the war. They are as chic today as when they were first built in the 20s or early 30s.
Yellow and dark gunmetal gray chevrons go around a beaded bead accented with tiny turquoise colored rocaille beads which dangle from delicate long kidney earwires.
Starting with a flattened oval wooden bead and delica beads, I wove a chevron pattern around the core bead using peyote stitch. Peyote stitch is an off loom bead weaving stitch where each tiny bead is woven in by hand using multiple passes of thread. The tops and bottoms of the beaded beads are finished with tiny turquoise colored rocaille beads.
I added silver plated bead caps and silver plated wire and hung the lightweight beaded beads from long silver plated kidney earwires for a clean, contemporary look.
• Dimensions: The overall length from the very top of the ear wire to the bottom of the beaded bead is 2.75 inches (7 cm), and the beaded bead is .75 inches (1.9 cm) at the widest point.
After the Great War (1914 - 1918), higher costs of living and the "servant problem" made living in the grand mansions and villas built in the Victorian and Edwardian eras a far less practical and attractive option for both those looking for new housing, and those who lived in big houses. It was around this time, in answer to these problems, that flats and apartments began to replace some larger houses, and became fashionable to live in.
These stylish Art Deco flats in a large complex would have suited those of comfortable means who could afford to live in Elsternwick (the suburb in which these flats are located), and dispense with the difficulties of keeping a large retinue of staff.
This block with its stuccoed brickwork with picked out brown and red feature bricks in geometric patterns and crenelled roofline is typical of the Spanish Mission style that emerged in California during the interwar years and spread across the world. It also features Mock Tudor red brick nogging and latticework above the name plaque, a style popular in the new ribbon development Metroland suburbs that began popping up in England after the war.
Although not famous for its Art Deco architecture, the provincial Victorian city of Ballarat, which was established between the 1860s and 1880s when the area was at the centre of a gold rush, does have some fine examples of interwar and post war architecture when the gold boom was replaced with wealth generated through grazing and agriculture.
During the 1920s and 1930s, those people thriving from farming or local industry had plenty to spend in local shops. This wonderful Art Deco facade (circa 1925 - 1930) belongs to the PPL Building in Ballarat's main shopping thoroughfare, Sturt Street. Whilst the street level may have fallen victim to the changes in marketing, the upper floors remain unchanged by fickle owners. It still retains its striking minimalist Art Deco design. It features the building's name in a rounded cartouche on the building's corner facade which overlooks Albert Street. The PPL Building has a stylised stepped roofline, long spandrels with rounded edging and glass brick windows, all of which were popular architectural features of the Art Deco movement in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The rounded edges are very representative of the Streamline Moderne movement, and the building is everything a smart and successful business would want in the booming interwar years in Australia.
Designed by local architectural firm Terry and Oakden, the former Wesleyan Church of Ballarat was constructed between 1883 and 1884. Built on the corner of Lydiard and Dana Streets, on the crest of a steep hill, the former Wesleyan Church is architecturally significant as an important and essentially intact example of the work of the prominent firm of architects Terry and Oakden.
The Gothic design of the former Wesleyan Church, which skilfully handles a difficult site, is important as a striking example of polychromatic brickwork. The elongated windows of the former Wesleyan Church, with geometric tracery, are also of significance for their notched brickwork diaper patterns, together with the horizontal wall banding the lozenge motifs.
The buildings are of historical significance as a symbol of faith and identity of the Wesleyan community in Ballarat, which was, at the time of construction, was one of the wealthiest cities in Victoria, indeed Australia, at the time.
The buildings are significant in their ability to indicate the aspirations and values of Wesleyans in the colony in the Nineteenth Century. Whilst Wesleyans typically constructed austere chapels, it is probable that this elaborate church at Ballarat was intended to be a symbol of the faith of Ballarat Wesleyans.
The Ballaarat Club was established as a gentleman’s club along traditional London lines in 1872. Its founding members included some of Ballarat’s leading identities of the time such as Judge Robert Trench, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Rede (the army commander that put down the Eureka Rebellion), William Collard Smith (a mining entrepreneur and a mayor of Ballarat), and T. D. Wanliss (the proprietor of local newspaper the Ballarat Star). At the heart of the club was a desire to encourage social interaction between gentlemen from a similar social class. In the main, members of the club came from the professional, civic and pastoral elite. Many of Ballarat’s more established families have been well represented on past membership lists.
Early on in its life, the Ballaarat Club was housed in a variety of hotels in central Ballarat (including Craig's Royal Hotel) until its membership raised enough money to build its own clubhouse, which was completed in 1889.
The Baallarat Club clubhouse at 203 Dana Street is designed in Victorian Free Classical style. It features bay windows upstairs and down, a red brick facade with stonework detailing, large sash windows, archways and Italianate ballustrading. The clubhouse, which has only seen a few changes to its building and grounds over the years, remains largely intact and is one of the few buildings in Ballarat that still retains most of its past majesty. Interestingly, the clubhouse is a rarity in as much as the building was designed and purpose built as a clubhouse.
Ballarat is a Victorian provincial city built on the fortunes made through the mining of gold in the surrounding area, and at the time this house was built, Ballarat was one of the wealthiest cities in Australia, if not the world. Much work was done to build magnificent civic buildings, but the extravagance extended to domestic architecture and buildings for private functions such as the Ballaarat Club as well. This building would have been just such a statement of wealth and exclusivity, built on a grand scale and situated well back from the road.
Designed by local architectural firm Terry and Oakden, the former Wesleyan Church of Ballarat was constructed between 1883 and 1884. Built on the corner of Lydiard and Dana Streets, on the crest of a steep hill, the former Wesleyan Church is architecturally significant as an important and essentially intact example of the work of the prominent firm of architects Terry and Oakden.
The Gothic design of the former Wesleyan Church, which skilfully handles a difficult site, is important as a striking example of polychromatic brickwork. The elongated windows of the former Wesleyan Church, with geometric tracery, are also of significance for their notched brickwork diaper patterns, together with the horizontal wall banding the lozenge motifs.
The buildings are of historical significance as a symbol of faith and identity of the Wesleyan community in Ballarat, which was, at the time of construction, was one of the wealthiest cities in Victoria, indeed Australia, at the time.
The buildings are significant in their ability to indicate the aspirations and values of Wesleyans in the colony in the Nineteenth Century. Whilst Wesleyans typically constructed austere chapels, it is probable that this elaborate church at Ballarat was intended to be a symbol of the faith of Ballarat Wesleyans.
This wonderful Metroland Art Deco Villa buried amid a lush garden may be found in the provincial city of Ballarat.
Well proportioned, this small stand alone villa of red brick features banding under the eaves of the building. There are also red feature bricks on the villa's three very tall stuccoed chimneys, and feature bricks over the archways of the porch. The archways enclosing the vestibule are Spanish Mission inspired.
The Spanish Mission style was typically a style that emerged in California during the interwar years and spread across the world.
This style of home was one that aspirational middle-class families in the 1920s sought. Cottage like in style, it is not too showy, yet represented the comfort and modernity that the burgeoning Australian middle-class wanted. Adding to its modern appearance, it features geometric fan style Art Deco leadlight windows at the side and the latticed bay windows on the front facade.
Geometric , Geometric Patterns , Geometric Pattern , Geometry , Patterns , crop circles , sacred geometry , Jai Deco , geometry , vinyl ,
This stylied Streamline Moderne Art Deco Villa in the Melbourne suburb of Thornbury, has sadly fallen into decay since it was built.
The whole property is surrounded by a low fence with plain pillars and wrought iron gate featuring a geometric Art Deco pattern.
Located on Ballarat’s Doveton Street, the former Lutheran Church was built in 1876 to the grand designs of local Ballarat architect C. D. Figgis and was constructed by Taylor & Ellis.
The church building is architecturally quite striking with a formal composition with elements of a Ruskinian Italian Gothic style. It features with banded brick arches, Lombardic motifs and an attenuated version of a stepped arcaded corbel table leading to the central tower. The tall blind arcading of the tower is similar to the Campanile at Venice. The tower has an arcaded corbel table with trefoil arches, above which is a parapet with quatrefoil openings surmounted by a slate clad pyramidal roof. The lower part of the building consists of more conventional elements. There are two occuli in the gable ends flanking the tower and the banded Gothic openings have nail head brick label moulds. At the base of the tower there are two entrance doors under a Gothic banded arch surrounded by cream brick nail head moulding, and an outer Scotia label mould; these continue down to a low impost height and return horizontally as a string course across the facade. Banded Gothic openings and a patterned string course at low impost height lightens the heaviness of the red brickwork. The side elevation has the same nail head and Scotia string course at impost level rising up as stilted segmental arches over the double lancet windows in each of the five bays. The combination of unusual elements in patterned relief brickwork, and the imposing superimposed Venetian Campanile combine to make this a unique church composition.
The facade of a Spanish Mission style villa in the Melbourne suburb of Preston. The stucco wall finish geometric design above the window and ornamental crenellation above the porch pay homage to the Spanish Mission style.
The Spanish Mission style was typically a style that emerged in California during the interwar years and spread across the world.
Tessellation designed by Eric Gjerde, folded by me. Photo from exhibition. 32 x 32 x 32 triangle grid.
Situated at 25 to 29 Barkly Street in the Victorian provincial city of Ballarat, the former East Ballarat Free Library is to this day, still an imposing building. When it was built in 1867, it must have been even more imposing, as it would have been one of only a few permanent structures in the area, which was filled with tents as the are was hit by goldmining fever.
The East Ballarat Free Library is not only imposing, but has an unusual design using polychromatic brickwork to define separate highly individual elements of the facade, rather like much of the Methodist Church architecture built during slightly later periods. The library is the only known work of the architect C. Ohlfsen Bagge, and dates from 1867. At that date it represents an early use of coloured brick-work in Victoria. The building is of architectural importance as an early example of the polychromatic Gothic Revival style which survives substantially intact with a number of fine interiors including the spiral staircase, the original library, the hall and the pine-lined rear rooms. The construction of the front section of the Barkly Street was completed in 1869. C. Ohlfsen-Bagge acted as honorary architect and the interior design and supervision as carried out by J. J. Lorenz. The builders were Boulton and Fyfe and the interiors were completed by Fly Brothers.
Established in 1862 the East Ballarat Free Library was amongst the earliest of Ballarat's social and educational institutions and when housed in its own building in Barkly Street, the library built up an outstanding collection which was second in Australia only to the State Library of Victoria . It served as a focal point for educational purposes; the school of design founded there in 1870 advancing to become the Ballarat East branch of the school of mines in the 1900s. The library was officially closed in 1973 after a life of 111 years. The books were taken to the Camp Street Library and the Ballarat Historical Society's exhibits were moved from Camp St to the Old Ballarat East Library. In 1980 the Ballarat School of Mines Council presented a proposal to the Ballarat City Council regarding occupying and managing the East Ballarat Free Library as a School of Traditional Crafts. The proposal included maintaining the building in optimum condition. In 1983, land formally occupied by the East Ballarat Free Library in Barkly St was gazetted as a reserve for educational purposes and allocated to the Ballarat School of Mines. In 1987 the former East Ballarat Library reopened after extensive renovations and repairs, as the Management Training Centre of the Ballarat School of Mines.
Situated at 25 to 29 Barkly Street in the Victorian provincial city of Ballarat, the former East Ballarat Free Library is to this day, still an imposing building. When it was built in 1867, it must have been even more imposing, as it would have been one of only a few permanent structures in the area, which was filled with tents as the are was hit by goldmining fever.
The East Ballarat Free Library is not only imposing, but has an unusual design using polychromatic brickwork to define separate highly individual elements of the facade, rather like much of the Methodist Church architecture built during slightly later periods. The library is the only known work of the architect C. Ohlfsen Bagge, and dates from 1867. At that date it represents an early use of coloured brick-work in Victoria. The building is of architectural importance as an early example of the polychromatic Gothic Revival style which survives substantially intact with a number of fine interiors including the spiral staircase, the original library, the hall and the pine-lined rear rooms. The construction of the front section of the Barkly Street was completed in 1869. C. Ohlfsen-Bagge acted as honorary architect and the interior design and supervision as carried out by J. J. Lorenz. The builders were Boulton and Fyfe and the interiors were completed by Fly Brothers.
Established in 1862 the East Ballarat Free Library was amongst the earliest of Ballarat's social and educational institutions and when housed in its own building in Barkly Street, the library built up an outstanding collection which was second in Australia only to the State Library of Victoria . It served as a focal point for educational purposes; the school of design founded there in 1870 advancing to become the Ballarat East branch of the school of mines in the 1900s. The library was officially closed in 1973 after a life of 111 years. The books were taken to the Camp Street Library and the Ballarat Historical Society's exhibits were moved from Camp St to the Old Ballarat East Library. In 1980 the Ballarat School of Mines Council presented a proposal to the Ballarat City Council regarding occupying and managing the East Ballarat Free Library as a School of Traditional Crafts. The proposal included maintaining the building in optimum condition. In 1983, land formally occupied by the East Ballarat Free Library in Barkly St was gazetted as a reserve for educational purposes and allocated to the Ballarat School of Mines. In 1987 the former East Ballarat Library reopened after extensive renovations and repairs, as the Management Training Centre of the Ballarat School of Mines.
Made of and red, brown bricks this neat Metroland villa in the provincial Victorian city of Ballarat, would have been perfect for a middle-class family.
This house with its stepped roof line features mottled terracotta tiles and cottage like windows, giving it a cozy and simple elegance which so popular across Britain and her dominions during the 1920s and 1930s.
The Metroland style, was most popular between the two World Wars, especially in the new garden suburbs and ribbon developments that appeared during this period.
This style of house would have appealed to the newly moneyed middle-classes who built homes in the burgeoning suburbs around old town centres around the world. Comfortable and very English, it would have represented the ability to afford chic modernity rather than the fusy Victorian and Edwardian villas of their forebears.
After the Great War (1914 - 1918), higher costs of living and the "servant problem" made living in the grand mansions and villas built in the Victorian and Edwardian eras a far less practical and attractive option for both those looking for new housing, and those who lived in big houses. It was around this time, in answer to these problems, that flats and apartments began to replace some larger houses, and became fashionable to live in.
This stylish Mock Tudor block of two flats, featuring one dwelling above the other with an interconnecting staircase would have suited those of comfortable means who could afford to live in Malvern (the suburb in which these flats are located), and dispense with the difficulties of keeping a large retinue of staff.
This Mock Tudor, or Turoresque style house with its stepped gabling, stucco work between wooden latticing, brown and red bricks, stylised stepped edgeing beneath the eaves,and Mock Tudor latticed windows was popular amongst the newly moneyed middle-classes who could finally afford to leave the inner city buy their own homes in the burgeoning suburbs. It gave them the ability to live in chic and spacious modern style with all the mod-cons, without sacrificing the respectability of English design. Even the name: "The Windsor" is British!
Australia was still a British Colony when this house was built, and styles in the Motherland were mirrored in Australia.
This wonderful Metroland "Mock Tudor" Art Deco Villa can be found in the Melbourne suburb of Essendon.
Well proportioned and symmetrical, this villa is smaller than its older neighbours and may have belonged to an aspiring middle class family with less money than other families in the street. Nonetheless, the mistress of this house would have required the assistance of a "daily" woman to keep it maintained.
The villa features biscuit coloured stuccoed brick walls with picked out brown and red feature bricks in geometric patterns, most noticeably around the enclosed vestibule and on the chimney. The whole house has a red and brown brick fence around it. A spacious villa like this was very much the style of home that aspirational middle-class families in the 1920s saught. Cottage like in style, it is not too showy, yet represented the comfort and modernity that the burgeoning Australian middle-class wanted.
Essendon was etablished in the 1860s and became an area of affluence and therefore only had middle-class, upper middle-class and some very wealthy citizens.
Situated at 25 to 29 Barkly Street in the Victorian provincial city of Ballarat, the former East Ballarat Free Library is to this day, still an imposing building. When it was built in 1867, it must have been even more imposing, as it would have been one of only a few permanent structures in the area, which was filled with tents as the are was hit by goldmining fever.
The East Ballarat Free Library is not only imposing, but has an unusual design using polychromatic brickwork to define separate highly individual elements of the facade, rather like much of the Methodist Church architecture built during slightly later periods. The library is the only known work of the architect C. Ohlfsen Bagge, and dates from 1867. At that date it represents an early use of coloured brick-work in Victoria. The building is of architectural importance as an early example of the polychromatic Gothic Revival style which survives substantially intact with a number of fine interiors including the spiral staircase, the original library, the hall and the pine-lined rear rooms. The construction of the front section of the Barkly Street was completed in 1869. C. Ohlfsen-Bagge acted as honorary architect and the interior design and supervision as carried out by J. J. Lorenz. The builders were Boulton and Fyfe and the interiors were completed by Fly Brothers.
Established in 1862 the East Ballarat Free Library was amongst the earliest of Ballarat's social and educational institutions and when housed in its own building in Barkly Street, the library built up an outstanding collection which was second in Australia only to the State Library of Victoria . It served as a focal point for educational purposes; the school of design founded there in 1870 advancing to become the Ballarat East branch of the school of mines in the 1900s. The library was officially closed in 1973 after a life of 111 years. The books were taken to the Camp Street Library and the Ballarat Historical Society's exhibits were moved from Camp St to the Old Ballarat East Library. In 1980 the Ballarat School of Mines Council presented a proposal to the Ballarat City Council regarding occupying and managing the East Ballarat Free Library as a School of Traditional Crafts. The proposal included maintaining the building in optimum condition. In 1983, land formally occupied by the East Ballarat Free Library in Barkly St was gazetted as a reserve for educational purposes and allocated to the Ballarat School of Mines. In 1987 the former East Ballarat Library reopened after extensive renovations and repairs, as the Management Training Centre of the Ballarat School of Mines.
Situated at 25 to 29 Barkly Street in the Victorian provincial city of Ballarat, the former East Ballarat Free Library is to this day, still an imposing building. When it was built in 1867, it must have been even more imposing, as it would have been one of only a few permanent structures in the area, which was filled with tents as the are was hit by goldmining fever.
The East Ballarat Free Library is not only imposing, but has an unusual design using polychromatic brickwork to define separate highly individual elements of the facade, rather like much of the Methodist Church architecture built during slightly later periods. The library is the only known work of the architect C. Ohlfsen Bagge, and dates from 1867. At that date it represents an early use of coloured brick-work in Victoria. The building is of architectural importance as an early example of the polychromatic Gothic Revival style which survives substantially intact with a number of fine interiors including the spiral staircase, the original library, the hall and the pine-lined rear rooms. The construction of the front section of the Barkly Street was completed in 1869. C. Ohlfsen-Bagge acted as honorary architect and the interior design and supervision as carried out by J. J. Lorenz. The builders were Boulton and Fyfe and the interiors were completed by Fly Brothers.
Established in 1862 the East Ballarat Free Library was amongst the earliest of Ballarat's social and educational institutions and when housed in its own building in Barkly Street, the library built up an outstanding collection which was second in Australia only to the State Library of Victoria . It served as a focal point for educational purposes; the school of design founded there in 1870 advancing to become the Ballarat East branch of the school of mines in the 1900s. The library was officially closed in 1973 after a life of 111 years. The books were taken to the Camp Street Library and the Ballarat Historical Society's exhibits were moved from Camp St to the Old Ballarat East Library. In 1980 the Ballarat School of Mines Council presented a proposal to the Ballarat City Council regarding occupying and managing the East Ballarat Free Library as a School of Traditional Crafts. The proposal included maintaining the building in optimum condition. In 1983, land formally occupied by the East Ballarat Free Library in Barkly St was gazetted as a reserve for educational purposes and allocated to the Ballarat School of Mines. In 1987 the former East Ballarat Library reopened after extensive renovations and repairs, as the Management Training Centre of the Ballarat School of Mines.
After the Great War (1914 - 1918), a new generation of young people who had survived the war years wanted nothing more than to live their lives in a way that challenged their parents' conventions. This included how they lived. They longed for independance and no longer wanted to live in the Victorian and Edwardian villas that were their family homes.
Somewhere like "Hood's Court" in the inner Melbourne suburb of Elwood would have suited the newly independant young woman or a well-to-do bachelor. With its Arts & Crafts Tudoresque brick nogging and large windows, this small block of boutique flats would have been light filled and comfortable, as well as being spacious enough to create a new kind of gracious living, without the need of a retinue of servants.
This block with its stuccoed brickwork and angular roofline is typical of the post war Arts and Crafts movement that came out of England.
Actually no, in this case there is a solid wall on the other side of the openwork, enclosing an interior room. No seethru.
-----------------------
In Erie, Pennsylvania, on May 13th, 2020, outside the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church at the northeast corner of West 20th Street and Sassafras Street.
-----------------------
Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names terms:
• Erie (7017542)
• Erie (county) (1002358)
Art & Architecture Thesaurus terms:
• architectural ornament (300378995)
• Baptist (300153825)
• churches (buildings) (300007466)
• concrete blocks (300374976)
• downspouts (300052560)
• exterior walls (300002523)
• geometric patterns (300165213)
• Mid-Century Modernist (300343610)
• octagons (300055635)
• openwork (300253899)
• paint (coating) (300015029)
• squares (geometric figures) (300055637)
• white (color) (300129784)
Wikidata items:
• 13 May 2020 (Q57396740)
• Downtown Erie (Q5303431)
• Erie Triangle (Q3041864)
• May 13 (Q2560)
• May 2020 (Q55019753)
• Northwestern Pennsylvania (Q16895965)
• Treaty of Fort Stanwix (Q3536790)
• Western Pennsylvania (Q7988152)
Library of Congress Subject Headings:
• Buildings—Pennsylvania (sh85017803)
• Concrete masonry (sh85030722)
• Grids (Crisscross patterns) (sh2006005408)
Collection: Cornell University Collection of Political Americana, Cornell University Library
Repository: Susan H. Douglas Political Americana Collection, #2214 Rare & Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library, Cornell University
Title: "Harrison, Reid and Victory" Campaign Ribbon, 1892
Political Party: Republican
Election Year: 1892
Date Made: 1892
Measurement: Ribbon: 6 7/8 x 2 1/2 in.; 17.4625 x 6.35 cm
Classification: Costume
Persistent URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1813.001/60fz
There are no known U.S. copyright restrictions on this image. The digital file is owned by the Cornell University Library which is making it freely available with the request that, when possible, the Library be credited as its source.
18 - 22 March
1000 mm (h) x 700 mm (w), colour
Designed by Robert Stewart(?)
Glasgow School of Art in the Mackintosh Building, 167 Renfrew Street
Geometric , Geometric Patterns , Geometric Pattern , Geometry , Patterns , crop circles , sacred geometry , Jai Deco , geometry , vinyl ,
Geometric , Geometric Patterns , Geometric Pattern , Geometry , Patterns , crop circles , sacred geometry , Jai Deco , geometry , vinyl ,
Located on Ballarat’s Doveton Street, the former Lutheran Church was built in 1876 to the grand designs of local Ballarat architect C. D. Figgis and was constructed by Taylor & Ellis.
The church building is architecturally quite striking with a formal composition with elements of a Ruskinian Italian Gothic style. It features with banded brick arches, Lombardic motifs and an attenuated version of a stepped arcaded corbel table leading to the central tower. The tall blind arcading of the tower is similar to the Campanile at Venice. The tower has an arcaded corbel table with trefoil arches, above which is a parapet with quatrefoil openings surmounted by a slate clad pyramidal roof. The lower part of the building consists of more conventional elements. There are two occuli in the gable ends flanking the tower and the banded Gothic openings have nail head brick label moulds. At the base of the tower there are two entrance doors under a Gothic banded arch surrounded by cream brick nail head moulding, and an outer Scotia label mould; these continue down to a low impost height and return horizontally as a string course across the facade. Banded Gothic openings and a patterned string course at low impost height lightens the heaviness of the red brickwork. The side elevation has the same nail head and Scotia string course at impost level rising up as stilted segmental arches over the double lancet windows in each of the five bays. The combination of unusual elements in patterned relief brickwork, and the imposing superimposed Venetian Campanile combine to make this a unique church composition.
Collection: Cornell University Collection of Political Americana, Cornell University Library
Repository: Susan H. Douglas Political Americana Collection, #2214 Rare & Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library, Cornell University
Title: Garfield "In Memoriam, Our President" Ribbon, ca. 1881
Political Party: Republican
Date Made: ca. 1881
Measurement: Ribbon: 5 3/4 x 2 3/4 in.; 14.605 x 6.985 cm
Classification: Costume
Persistent URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1813.001/60df
There are no known U.S. copyright restrictions on this image. The digital file is owned by the Cornell University Library which is making it freely available with the request that, when possible, the Library be credited as its source.