View allAll Photos Tagged coldwar

I don't know much about Tarpan except that it is Polish and that this vehicle was produced up until relatively recently.

During the Korean War, Japan-based F-82Gs were among the first U.S. Air Force aircraft to operate over Korea. On June 27, 1950, all-weather F-82Gs shot down the first three North Korean aircraft destroyed by U.S. forces.

 

The F-82 was the last propeller-driven fighter acquired in quantity by the USAF. It appears to be two P-51 Mustang fuselages on one wing, but in reality, it was a totally new design. The Twin Mustang carried a pilot and co-pilot/navigator to reduce fatigue on long-range bomber escort missions. Production deliveries did not begin until early 1946, too late for World War II. After WWII, Air Defense Command flew radar-equipped F-82Gs as replacements for the P-61 night fighter.

 

The aircraft on display is an F-82B, modified and marked as the F-82G crewed by Lts. Charles Moran, pilot, and Fred Larkins, radar observer, 68th F(AW)S, when they shot down a North Korean La-7 on June 27, 1950, near Kimpo Air Base, South Korea.

 

TECHNICAL NOTES (F-82G):

Armament: Six .50-cal. machine guns and 20 5-in. rockets or 2,000 lbs. of bombs

Engines: Two Allison V-1710s of 1,600 hp each

Maximum speed: 400 mph

Range: 2,240 miles

The photograph shows the site were Launch Facility (missile silo) Golf-03 was located. The 351st Strategic Missile Wing based at Whiteman Air Force Base controlled 150 Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missiles buried in silos across central Missouri starting in 1963. The START-1 Treaty (Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty) called for the reduction of the number of nuclear weapons worldwide. The reduction resulted in the phase out and destruction of missiles and silo Launch Facilities that were controlled by the 351st. By 1997 all silos commanded by the 351st Strategic Missile Wing had been imploded. The ownership of the land generally reverted back to the surrounding landowner. The government would leave the facility's chain linked fence in place if the owner wanted to keep it. Many owners used the fencing as an enclosure to store farm equipment.

the Shirts are Tulex. They fit well on me but have that AA feel. They are similar to the womens tees too. sizing should be the same. If you need a larger size please email me, as this is pre-order so I can accommodate

 

drilone.bigcartel.com/

Top/profile view of the prototype McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II, now resting at the Ft. Worth Aviation Museum.

with Volpar tri-gear undercarriage conversion, 12th June, 2007.

De Historische Collectie Grondgebonden Luchtverdediging (HCGLVD, voorheen HVGLVD) is ontstaan door samenvoeging van de Historische Verzameling Luchtdoelartilleriematerieel (Ede) en de traditiekamer van de Groep Geleide Wapens (Luchtmachtbasis De Peel).

De collectie biedt een overzicht van de ontwikkelingsgeschiedenis van de grondgebonden luchtverdediging vanaf 1915 tot heden.

De collectie is ondergebracht in twee hallen, tevens is er een buitenexpositie. Voor de medewerkers is er een gebouw met kantoren, een vergaderzaal en een werkplaats. Bezoekers kunnen zelfstandig alles bekijken en via de multimediazuilen extra informatie krijgen over de getoonde collectiestukken.

De Historische Collectie Grondgebonden Luchtverdediging (HCGLVD, voorheen HVGLVD) is ontstaan door samenvoeging van de Historische Verzameling Luchtdoelartilleriematerieel (Ede) en de traditiekamer van de Groep Geleide Wapens (Luchtmachtbasis De Peel).

De collectie biedt een overzicht van de ontwikkelingsgeschiedenis van de grondgebonden luchtverdediging vanaf 1915 tot heden.

De collectie is ondergebracht in twee hallen, tevens is er een buitenexpositie. Voor de medewerkers is er een gebouw met kantoren, een vergaderzaal en een werkplaats. Bezoekers kunnen zelfstandig alles bekijken en via de multimediazuilen extra informatie krijgen over de getoonde collectiestukken.

 

Original photos taken on the 08/01/2010 — www.flickr.com/photos/139375961@N08/shares/U73k5039fN

  

The AMES Type 84, also known as the Microwave Early Warning or MEW, was a 23cm wavelength early warning radar used by the Royal Air Force as part of the Linesman/Mediator radar network. Operating in the L-band gave it improved performance in rain and hail, where the primary AMES Type 85 radar's performance dropped off. It operated beside the Type 85 and RX12874 in Linesman, and moved to the UKADGE system in the 1980's before being replaced during UKADGE upgrades in the early 1990's.

 

The Type 84 had a decade-long development period that saw the system being repeatedly redesigned. It was first conceived in 1951 during the ROTOR program as a megawatt-powered S-band system that would replace the WWII-era Chain Home radars for early warning. But an experimental system developed at the Royal Radar Establishment (RRE) offered similar performance and would be available long before the MEW's 1957 target date. Put into operation as the AMES Type 80 in 1953, the immediate need for MEW was eliminated. MEW was then assigned a lower priority and handed off to Marconi for further development.

 

A new concept emerged as an L-band counterpart to the Type 80, adding an advanced moving target indication (MTI) system. In this form, the system was ordered into production as the Type 84 in July 1957. That same month, concerns about the new carcinotron jammer grew. MEW was repositioned as an anti-jamming radar using a powerful 10 MW klystron, but this system failed to work. A 5 MW wide-band magnetron replaced the klystron, but this required a new MTI and antenna system as well. By the time these were ready the magnetron was not, and it finally settled on a 2.5 MW version, compromising its capability as an anti-jamming system.

 

During development, MEW was the primary radar of the Stage 2 ROTOR plans and was intended to hand-off targets to the Blue Envoy long-range missile. But the RRE once again trumped the Type 84 with their new Blue Yeoman design, which was much more powerful and offered frequency agility. Deployment of Type 84 went ahead anyway, largely because it was complete and offered a number of complimentary features. The first operational Type 84 was handed over to the RAF at RAF Bawdsey in October 1962. Three additional units came online during the 1960’s, and the fifth from the original order was instead sent to Cyprus and placed on Mount Olympus, the last unit shut down in 1994.

 

For more information and the source, please follow the link — en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMES_Type_84

  

Low front view of the prototype McDonnell Douglas A-12 Avenger II, now resting at the Ft. Worth Aviation Museum.

Nato Forward Scatter Station.

The personal details of the GST mitgliedbuch issued to Georg Münzner (pronounced ‘gayorg meenstner’), born on 15 February 1936, joining the GST in 1954. A Communist version of the MPCT, the GST (Gesellschaft fur Sport Und Technik or Society for Sports and Technology) was compulsory for all young people in East Germany if they wanted a career or to go to university.

 

As for Georg Münzner his membership stamps only go up to 1966 and there’s what looks like a few stamps for sailing so I don’t know what went on there. As you can also see (which is unusual) his lichtbild or photograph is missing. The stamp in the bottom left hand corner is the seal of the District Board of Brandenburg and next to it is the signature of the chairman of the District Board.

 

Underneath the DPA-Nr (whatever that is) is that of the ausbildingszweig or training branch, which isn't that easy to fucking read either.

Cutaway model of USS Lafayette (SSBN-616)

A selection of aircraft in the Cold War hangar, including the B-2 Spirit and SR-71 Blackbird.

Advice from Cheshire County Council in September 1984 on what to do in case of Nuclear War.

Old russian Jet from times of the cold war.

Seen in Thuringia east Germany

Advice from Cheshire County Council in September 1984 on what to do in case of Nuclear War.

This spot is a former military base of the NATO. In 1995, the operation of the radar station ceased. After the end of the Cold War it wasn't needed anymore. Over ten years later, the property was purchased by a private investor for around 100.000 Euros. But he wasn't really caring about the former NATO base at all. Instead he was offering it for sale and people were supposed to pay more than ten times the money of his purchasing price. So it's not clear what will happen now with the compound. But during our exploration a location scout came who was looking for the perfect backdrop of a new Ford Ranger ad. Who knows, maybe you will see the spot soon on TV. If so, let us know!

 

If you want to know and see more of this place make sure to watch this documentary: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGBms4QMY4

Having previously worked together on SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and THE TERMINAL, Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg and Academy Award-winning actor Tom Hanks reunite for a brand new thriller.

The juicy prospect of Spielberg adapting a screenplay from The Coen Brothers is ...

 

bit.ly/1xWLNGE

Pictures from the decommissioned Nike Missile Site SF-88L which is now a museum

A defensive fighting position overlooking one of the airfield entrances at USAF Upper Heyford. It is American in designand constructed from prefabricated concrete panels. Similiar in design to the ubiquitous Second World War pillbox, these defences were sunken into the ground and provided protection against ground attack. They date from around 1986 (based on plans in Cold War: Building for Nuclear Confrontation 1946-1989, figure 4.18, published by English Heritage)

Advice from Cheshire County Council in September 1984 on what to do in case of Nuclear War.

Located inside the Diefenbunker, a cold war bunker for Ottawa's politicians (no longer in use). Outside of Ottawa, near Carp.

The Kelvedon Nuclear Bunker

 

Hidden in a wood off the A128 Ongar - Brentwood Road, is a small bungalow which hides a big secret. Behind it lies a three floored bunker complex in which 600 people would have been confined behind blast proof doors in the event of a nuclear war.

 

The deep, 125 foot, bunker was built in 1952/3 as part of Rotor, an urgent government building programme to improve Britain's air defence network. The bunker was the Sector Operations Command for the RAF Fighter Command. Known as SOC - R4, it was to provide command and control of the London Sector of Fighter Command.

 

Once into the bungalow, it leads to a 100 yard tunnel before you are in the bunker itself. Above you are two more floors, the 'hill' which covers it, and a radio mast, one of two, which would have been vital for communications.

 

The reason for the bunker was to take on a far more potentially catastrophic role in the 1960's. Because of the threat of nuclear war the bunker became the regional government bunker for London. The aim of the bunker was that it was to be one of the government administration centres communicating with the many other smaller bunkers situated throughout the country, organising the country after a nuclear attack.

The Stalwart High Mobility Load Carrier (H.M.L.C) Amphibious Cargo Vehicle was developed by the Alvis Car and Engineering Company as a private venture. It entered service with the British Army in 1966. Its British Army designation is the FV620, in service it was nicknamed the 'Stolly'. The main function of the FV620 Stalwart was to supply forward units with fuel and ammunition, but as this was not an Armoured Vehicle, it offered very little protection. This Amphibious Cargo Vehicle has a payload capacity of 5 tons. In the Troop Carrier configuration it could carry 30 fully equipped Soldiers. The FV620 Stalwart could also tow trailers or Artillery Pieces with a maximum weight of 10 tons. The cargo area of the Stalwart has large drop-down panels with waterproof seals on either side and a drop-tailgate, this area could be covered with a canvas cover for weather protection. The cab of the Stalwart Amphibious Vehicle provides seating for the driver, plus two passengers, the driver being seated in the middle, unusually the cab is entered through the roof hatches.

 

The FV6 Stalwart is based on the FV603 Saracen 6x6 Armored Personnel Carrier chassis, a number of automotive components are interchangeable. Powered by a Rolls-Royce B-81 Mk.8B petrol engine, developing 220hp powering a full-time all-wheel drive system. The FV620 Stalwart has an impressive cross-country mobility, and is fully amphibious with minimal preparation. On water this cargo vehicle is propelled by two waterjets, giving a maximum amphibious speed on water was of nearly 7mph. It is worth mentioning that waterjet units of the Stalwart were complex and troublesome to maintain, and was common to remove them when amphibious qualities were unnecessary, to simplify maintenance.

 

Production of the Alvis Stalwart ended a long time ago, then it was also withdrawn from the British Army service, it's Amphibious Transport role was taken over with the use of Utility Helicopters. Many of these Amphibious Carriers were sold to modern-day enthusiasts, many being converted to 'Amphibious Tour Vehicles'.

 

Variants:

 

▪︎FV622 Stalwart Mk.2 - General Service, it could carry up to 38 fully-equipped Troops. It could carry a field refueling pack, instead of the cargo. The Stalwart Mk.2 was fitted with improved waterjets. Its maximum speed on water was about 8mph.

 

▪︎FV623 Stalwart Mk.2 - Limber, artillery re-supply vehicle, fitted with a hydraulic crane in the cargo area, Engineering Vehicle, based on the Mk.2. It was also fitted with a crane.

  

General characteristics:

 

▪︎Place of Origin: United Kingdom

▪︎Manufacturer: Alvis Car and Engineering Company

▪︎Manufactured: 1963 to 1971

▪︎In Service: 1964 to 19893

▪︎Crew: Driver and up to two Personnel

▪︎Powerplant: Rolls-Royce B81 Mk.8B eight-cylinder water-cooled 6.5 L petrol engine, 220hp

▪︎Gearbox: Alvis 5 speed box

▪︎Transfer Box: Forward and reverse, giving 5 gears in both directions

▪︎Driveline: Non slip differential to bevel boxes, producing permanent 6 wheel drive

▪︎Length: 20ft 10in / Width: 8ft 7in / Height: 8ft 8in to load cover pole

▪︎Weight Empty: 8.500 long tons / Weight Fully Laden: 13.999 long tons

▪︎Suspension: Independent parallel wishbone links and torsion bars per wheel station

▪︎Armour: none - but hull protected crews from Anti-Tank Mines in Aden

▪︎Road Speed: 40 mph at 4000 rpm

▪︎Water Speed: 6 knots

▪︎Fording Depth Prepared: Amphibious to full flotation

▪︎Approach Angle Laden: 42 degrees / Departure Angle Laden: 29 degrees

▪︎Max Gradient: 21 degrees / Maximum Gradient Restart: 18 degrees

▪︎Side Overturn Angle: 31 degrees for FV620/FV622

▪︎Maximum Vertical Obstacle: 1ft 6in

▪︎Trench Crossing: 5ft

▪︎Ground Clearance: 1ft 4in laden FV622

▪︎Turning Circle = 1/R and L/H lock 49 to 59ft

▪︎Vehicle Range: 400 miles

▪︎Fuel Consumption: 4 mpg

  

Sourced from www.military-today.com/trucks/alvis_stalwart.htm

 

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stalwart

In 1950 Bawdsey was selected to become part of the ROTOR Programme, to update Great Britain's Radar cover after World War Two. It consisted of many sites with huge Underground Bunkers to withstand conventional bombing. In 1958 an AMES Type 80 Mk3 was installed with 2 AN/FPS-6 US made Radars. RAF Bawdsey was manned by 144 Signals Unit from 11 Group and together with 6 other Stations in the Eastern Sector it offered cover from 30 minutes before dawn to 30 minutes after sunset as there was no night cover.

The site of RAF Bawdsey Radar Station built in the early 1950's as part of the ROTOR Programme to modernise the United Kingdom's Radar Defences. This was a replacement Station for the Chain Home Station at RAF Bawdsey, located to the south of this Site. The ROTOR Station was fitted with a Type 7 Mk3 Radar Head for local search and control, two Type 14 (Mk8 and Mk9) Plan Positioning Radar Heads, four Type 13 Mk6 and two Type 13 Mk7 Height Finder Radar Heads, and three Type 54 Mk3 Radar Heads for Search and Control with no IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) The Radar Heads were mounted on plinths and 25ft gantries, apart from the Type 54 arrays that were mounted on 20ft Towers. The site was equipped with a Guardhouse designed to resemble a 'bungalow' which gave access to a two-storey, Underground R3 Operations Block. The R3 Bunker was completed in 1954. Newly developed Type 80 Radar and its associated Modulator Building was installed in 1958, with two AN/FPS 6 Height Finding Radars. By 1963 RAF Bawdsey had become a Master Radar Station, but in June 1964 it switched to operating as a Satellite Station to RAF Neatishead in Norfolk. It resumed Master Radar Station status in 1966 until 1974, after a fire damaged RAF Neatishead's Control Centre. Bawdsey closed in 1975 and in 1977 features of the ROTOR Station were demolished, including Plinths, Towers and the Type 80 Modulator Building.

As a site of national importance the Cold War Bloodhound Mark II Missile Site survives intact apart from the removal of the Missiles and their Associated Mobile Equipment. In 1979 RAF Bawdsey reopened as a Bloodhound Mk2 Surface to Air (SAM) Missile Site. The Guardhouse also remains in a derelict condition, and is still attached to the R3 Bunker via an Access Tunnel, the R3 Bunker is disused and has been sealed shut.

The Bloodhound Missile Site is located within the Perimeter of the early 1950's Radar Station of RAF Bawdsey, the Missile Section became active in July 1979 as C Flight of 85 Squadron and remained Operational until the 31st of May 1990. The Flight was divided into two sections, each of which was equipped with six Fixed Concrete Missile Pads, the remainder of its Equipment was Semi-Portable. The Bloodhound Missiles were controlled from Launch Control Posts (LCP's) set on hardstandings and surrounded by an protective earthwork bank, they were connected to the Target Illuminating Radar by cables. Initially the Flight was equipped with two Type 87 Radars mounted on angular Steel Plinths, colloquially known as `Daleks'. In 1988 these were replaced by two smaller Air-Portable Type 86 Radars. These were mounted on top of 4.26m Steel Gantries built over the `Daleks'. Some of the earlier Radar Station Buildings were reused by the Bloodhound Unit, including the Guard House (which retained its original function) an Operations Room was placed in the R3 Bunker and the 1950's Type 80 Radar Modulator Building was converted for use as a Workshop. Ready Use Stores (containing spare Missiles) were simple Concrete Hardstandings. Other structures on site include, buildings for an RAF Dog Section, a Store, a Garage, a Hut of undertermined function, an Explosive Fitment Bay, an Office and a Stand-By Set House.

This was taken at SF-88, the Nike Missile site in the Marin Headlands. The Missile had just been raised from the storage bunker below

AM 5. OKTOBER 1964 WURDE DER LEHRER UNTEROFFIZIER EGON SCHULTZ GEB. AM 4.1.1943 BEI DER AUSÜBUNG SEINES DIENSTES ZUM SCHUTZ DER STAATSGRENZE DER DDR VON WESTBERLINER AGENTEN MEUCHLINGS ERMORDET.

A control workstation in Hack Green Nuclear Bunker, Cheshire.

This room monitored the threat from the Russians to the UK during the Cold War. Note the entry on the right to two Russian Bears approaching.

RAF Defence Radar Museum information board - flic.kr/p/2iYmjad

 

In the Air Defence environment, if the fighters failed to shoot down the enemy, the last line of protection against air-attack is the ground-to-air missiles. Developed in the late 1950's to protect key airfields against high-level attack by Soviet bombers, the Bloodhound Mk.I missile entered service in 1958. The upgraded Bloodhound Mk.II, like the one here at the museum entered service in 1964.

 

Originally operated just in the U.K, the initial Bloodhound Mk.I deployment consisted of eight missile sites - RAF Dunholme Lodge, RAF Watton, RAF Marham, RAF Rattlesden, RAF Woolfox Lodge, RAF Carnaby, RAF Warboys and RAF Breighton with a trial site at RAF Nort Coates. The Bloodhound was also deployed by the RAF in countries such as Germany, Cyprus, Singapore and Malaysia. Switzerland also bought the Bloodhound.

 

At the time, the British Nuclear Deterrent was carried by the Vulcan, Victor and Valiant long-range bombers. The primary reason for the particular sites in the U.K being chosen was the defence of the ''V-bomber'' bases in East Anglia and Lincolnshire. After the Nuclear Deterrent role passed to the Royal Navy Polaris submarines in 1970, all Bloodhound missiles within the U.K were withdrawn and stored or transferred to Germany for airfield defence.

 

As time went on, the possibility of low-level attack by the Soviet bombers or cruise missiles led to a reappraisal of U.K air defences. This new threat resulted in the Bloodhound's arriving back in the U.K at RAF West Raynham in Norfolk in late 1975. With deployment of the new British Rapier ground-to-air missile system to Germany, all the Bloodhound's were returned to the U.K by 1983 and were placed in operation at four more sites in East Anglia - RAF Bawdsey, RAF Barkston Heath, RAF Wyton and RAF Wattisham.

 

By now, the Bloodhound force was directly under the Operational control of the RAF Neatishead ''Cold War'' Operations Room, now part of the RAF Radar Defence Museum ! Each missile flight could also act independently if needed. The Bloodhound system used both the ''fixed'' Type 87 and the ''mobile'' Type 86 radars for target detection and for semi-active guidance to the target. In 1990, as the Cold War wound down, the remaining missiles were relocated to RAF West Raynham and RAF Wattisham with plans to operate them until 1995 but they were retired from service in 1991.

 

The missiles could engage targets flying at 65,000 feet out to a range of over 50 miles. It was extremely fast, exceeding the speed of sound (760 mph) almost soon as it left the launcher, and at height, reach in more than twice that speed.

 

General characteristics -

 

▪︎Type: Surface-to-Air Missile

▪︎Place of origin: United Kingdom

▪︎In Service: 1958 (Mk.I) / 1964 (Mk.II) to 1991

▪︎Designed: 1950's

▪︎Manufacturer: Bristol Aeroplane Company

▪︎Number Built: 783

▪︎Variants: Mk.I / Mk.II / Mk.III / Mk.IV

▪︎Mass Overall: 5,000lb

▪︎Length Overall: 27ft 9in

▪︎Diameter: Main Body 1ft 9.5in

▪︎Warhead: Continuous-Rod Warhead

▪︎Detonation Mechanism: Proximity Fuze

▪︎Engine: 2 x Ramjets / 4 x Solid Fuel Boosters

▪︎Wingspan Overall: (9ft 3in

▪︎Operational Range: Mk.I 32 miles / Mk.II 118 miles

▪︎Maximum Speed: Mach 2.7 (2,072mph)

▪︎Guidance System: Semi-Active Radar Homing

▪︎Steering System: Control Surfaces

▪︎Launch Platform: Fixed Installation.

  

Sourced from - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodhound_(missile)

New Castle County Airport, Delaware; 2009

1 2 ••• 41 42 44 46 47 ••• 79 80