View allAll Photos Tagged built
First Lady Chirlane McCray, Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen and the Department of Cultural Affairs announce She Built NYC, a new effort to commission a public monument or artwork on City property that honors women’s history in New York City, in Bryant Park on Wednesday , June 20, 2018. Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office
Built by money raised through public subscription, the King Edward VII Sailors' Rest building stands on the corner of Moorabool and Brougham Streets in the Victorian city of Geelong.
Built in 1912 to the designs by the Geelong architect, Percy
Everett King Edward VII Sailors' Rest building stands looking out across the Corio foreshore, and is in the very heart of Geelong. The King Edward VII Sailors' Rest was an evangelical temperance organisation designed to provide welfare services to sailors; to attempt to divert them away from alcohol and other temptations of the town and to encourage them to return to or continue to practice Christianity. In order to attract more sailors to the 'Rest' an electric bulb sign was installed in 1926. The animated sign operated with flashing letters and words and was intended to be very noticeable from Yarra and Cunningham piers as the sailors disembarked. The sign was built by the nearby Melbourne Electric Supply Company and donated to the Sailors' Rest by Howard Hitchcock, former mayor of Geelong and Chairman of the Sailors' Rest Committee. The sign is understood to have ceased operation from the 1950s until 1997 when it again operated but without animation.
The King Edward VII Sailors' Rest building is designed in Federation Free Classical style, an architectural movement which, like its Victorian counterpart, broke with the traditions and rigours of academic classical style. The style was known for its self confidence and expressed the growing prosperity of society. The King Edward VII Sailors' Rest building facade features a parapet concealing a roof, contrasting materials with varying textures and a prominent corner tower, all of which are characteristics of the Federation Free Classical style of architecture.
Percy Edgar Everett (1888 - 1967) was born in Geelong. He was appointed chief architect of the Victorian Public Works Department in 1934 and he is best known for the striking Modernist and Art Deco schools, hospitals, court houses, office buildings and technical colleges the department produced during his tenure. Percey Everett's other architectural works include; the Fairfield Club House (1934), the Essendon technical School (1939), the Camberwell Police Station (1939) and the Russell Street Police Headquarters (1940 - 1943).
The Golden Temple runs one of the largest free kitchens in the world, serving 100,000! people on average daily. The meal consists of flat bread and lentil soup.
_____________________
The Harmandir Sahib (Punjabi: ਹਰਿਮੰਦਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ), also Darbar Sahib (Punjabi: ਦਰਬਾਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ, Punjabi pronunciation: [dəɾbɑɾ sɑhɪb]) and informally referred to as the "Golden Temple", is a prominent Sikh gurdwara located in the city of Amritsar, Punjab, India. It was built by the fourth Sikh guru, Guru Ramdaas Sahib Ji, in the 16th century. In 1604, Guru Arjun completed the Adi Granth, the holy scripture of Sikhism, and installed it in the Gurudwara.
There are four doors to get into the Harmandir Sahib, which symbolize the openness of the Sikhs towards all people and religions. The present-day gurdwara was rebuilt in 1764 by Jassa Singh Ahluwalia with the help of other Sikh Misls. In the early nineteenth century, Maharaja Ranjit Singh secured the Punjab region from outside attack and covered the upper floors of the gurdwara with gold, which gives it its distinctive appearance and its English name.
The Harimandir Sahib is considered holy by Sikhs. The holiest text of Sikhism, the Guru Granth Sahib, is always present inside the gurdwara. Its construction was mainly intended to build a place of worship for men and women from all walks of life and all religions to come and worship God equally. Over 100,000 people visit the holy shrine daily for worship.
HISTORY
The Harmandir Sahib literally means The Temple of God. The fourth guru of Sikhs, Guru Ram Das, excavated a tank in 1577 CE which subsequently became known as Amritsar (meaning "Pool of the Nectar of Immortality"), giving its name to the city that grew around it. In due course, a Sikh edifice, Sri Harmandir Sahib (meaning "the abode of God") rose in the middle of this tank and became the supreme centre of Sikhism. Its sanctum came to house the Adi Granth comprising compositions of Sikh Gurus and other saints considered to have Sikh values and philosophies, e.g., Baba Farid, and Kabir. The compilation of The Adi Granth was started by the fifth guru of Sikhism, Guru Arjan Dev Ji.
CONSTRUCTION
Sri Guru Arjan Sahib, the Fifth Sikh Guru, conceived the idea of creating a central place of worship for the Sikhs and he himself designed the architecture of Sri Harmandir Sahib. Earlier the planning to excavate the holy tank (Amritsar or Amrit Sarovar ) was chalked out by Guru Amar Das Ji, the Third Sikh Guru, but it was executed by Guru Ramdas Sahib under the supervision of Baba Budha ji. The land for the site was acquired by the earlier Guru Sahibs on payment or free of cost from the Zamindars (landlords) of native villages. The plan to establish a town settlement was also made. Therefore, the construction work on the Sarovar (the tank) and the town started simultaneously in 1570. The work on both projects completed in 1577 A.D. During the leadership of the fifth Guru, Guru Arjan (1581–1606), the full-fledged gurdwara was built. In December 1588, Guru Arjan initiated the construction of the gurdwara. The foundation stone was laid by none other than Guru Arjan Sahib himself in December 1588. It is a common misconception that the foundation stone was laid by the Sufi saint Mian Mir of Lahore.
Some of the architectural features of the Harmandir Sahib were intended to be symbolic of the Sikh worldview. Instead of the normal custom of building a gurdwara on high land, it was built at a lower level than the surrounding land so that devotees would have to go down steps to enter it. In addition, instead of one entrance, Sri Harmandir Sahib has four entrances.
The gurdwara was completed in 1604. Guru Arjan, installed the Guru Granth Sahib in it and appointed Baba Buddha as the first Granthi (reader) of it on August 1604. In the mid-18th century it was attacked by the Afghans, by one of Ahmed Shah Abdali's generals, Jahan Khan, and had to be substantially rebuilt in the 1760s. However, in response a Sikh Army was sent to hunt down the Afghan force. Both forces met each other five miles outside Amritsar; Jahan Khan's army was destroyed.
The gurdwara is surrounded by a large lake or holy tank, known as the Sarovar, which consists of Amrit ("holy water" or "immortal nectar") and is fed by the Ravi River. There are four entrances to the gurdwara, signifying the importance of acceptance and openness. Inside the gurdwara complex there are many shrines to past Sikh Gurus, saints and martyrs (see map). There are three holy trees (bers), each signifying a historical event or Sikh saint. Inside the gurdwara there are many memorial plaques that commemorate past Sikh historical events, saints, martyrs and includes commemorative inscriptions of all the Sikh soldiers who died fighting in World Wars I and II.
In keeping with the rule observed at all Sikh gurdwaras worldwide, the Harmandir Sahib is open to all persons regardless of their religion, colour, creed, or sex. The only restrictions on the Harmandir Sahib's visitors concern their behavior when entering and while visiting:
Maintaining the purity of the sacred space and of one's body while in it:
- Upon entering the premises, removing one's shoes and washing one's feet in the small pool of water provided;
- Not drinking alcohol, eating meat, or smoking cigarettes or other drugs while in the shrine
- Dressing appropriately:
- Wearing a head covering (a sign of respect) (the gurdwara provides head scarves for visitors who have not brought a suitable covering);
- Not wearing shoes.
How to act:
If you choose to listen to Gurbani, one must also sit on the ground while in the Darbar Sahib as a sign of deference to both the Guru Granth Sahib and God.
First-time visitors are advised to begin their visit at the information office and then proceed to the Central Sikh Museum near the main entrance and clock tower.
The Harimandir Sahib runs one of the largest free kitchens in the world, serving 100,000 people on average daily. The meal consists of flat bread and lentil soup.
ARTWORK & MONUMENT SCULPTURES
Much of the present decorative gilding and marblework dates from the early 19th century. All the gold and exquisite marble work were conducted under the patronage of Hukam Singh Chimni and Emperor Ranjit Singh, Maharaja of the Sikh Empire of the Punjab. The Darshani Deorhi Arch stands at the beginning of the causeway to the Harmandir Sahib; it is 62 metres high and 6 metres in width. The gold plating on the Harmandir Sahib was begun by Ranjit Singh and was finished in 1830. Maharaja Ranjit Singh was a major donor of wealth and materials for the shrine and is remembered with much affection by the Punjabi people in general and the Sikh community in particular.
CELEBRATIONS
One of the most important festivals is Vaisakhi, which is celebrated in the second week of April (usually the 13th). Sikhs celebrate the founding of the Khalsa on this day and it is celebrated with fervour in the Harmandir Sahib. Other important Sikh religious days such as the birth of Guru Raamdas ji, martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur, the birthday of Guru Nanak, etc., are also celebrated with religious piety. Similarly Bandi Chhor Divas is one of the festivals which sees the Harmandir Sahib beautifully illuminated with Divas (lamps); lights and fireworks are discharged. Most Sikhs visit Amritsar and the Harmandir Sahib at least once during their lifetime, particularly and mostly during special occasions in their life such as birthdays, marriages, childbirth, etc.
BLUE STAR
Blue Star was a military operation undertaken on 3 June 1984 and ended on 6 June 1984. The Indian Army, led by General Kuldip Singh Brar, brought infantry, artillery, and tanks into the Harmandir Sahib to put a stop to self-styled Dharam Yudh Morcha led by Bhindrawala. During these "Morchay" thousands of Sikhs courted arrest. Indira Gandhi ordered the army to launch Operation Blue Star. Within six months, Indira Gandhi’s Sikh bodyguards killed her (31 October 1984) for the perceived sacrilege.
Fierce fighting ensued between Sikhs and the soldiers, in which many of the Sikhs were killed along with many soldiers. The Harmandir Sahib complex also suffered much damage due to the attack, especially the holy Akal Takhat Sahib.
This attack is regarded by Sikhs as a desecration of Sikhism's holiest shrine and discrimination against a minority in India. In 1986, the repairs performed on the Akal Takhat Sahib after the attack, which the Rajiv Gandhi Government had undertaken without consultation, were removed. A new Akal Takhat Sahib was completed in 1999 by Kar Sevaks (volunteer labor and funding).
WIKIPEDIA
Built in 1936, using the designs of Louis Simon, this post office was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. It is also considered a contributing property to the 2019 listing of the Eureka Downtown Historic District.
Built in 1902 in the Italian Rennaisance style after the previous Houghton Bank Building was destroyed by fire. The building housed retail establishments on the first floor, professional offices on the second floor and a lodge hall on the third floor.
(built from 1708, restored 1984-1989, see tags for further known data). Op dit werk is een Creative Commons Licentie van toepassing.
Nitin Jhadav's "Grand" which he rode during the 2006 Bangalore Speed Run. What an impressive creation!
Built in the mid-90th century and burned during the Civil War in the 1920s before the Provisional Government could take possession of it, the Coastguard Station's ruins at Céibh Baile an tSléibhe near Ros a' Mhíl watch the sea from the mouth of Casla Bay. The cruiser launched from this station would have policed matters minor and major, from enforcing rules on poaching and poitín-making to stopping smuggling and crucially, gun-running in event of an insurrection against British rule in Ireland.
built as D6501 in 1962 by Birmingham railway carriage and wagon works type 3 Bo Bo class 33 locomotive renumbered to tops number 33002 in February 1974 seen at Tunbridge wells west on the spa valley railway in departmental grey livery named Sea King
Built for William Gibbs (1790-1875) whose fortune came from fertiliser, Bought in 1843 as a modest Tudor Gothic house built in c1813 but greatly enlarged by John Norton in 1863-5. Acquired by the National Trust in 2002 through generous public donations and grants.
Built in 1932
From the ongoing series " The Bungalows of Rockwood"
www.flickr.com/photos/49469560@N07/sets/72157629701054540...
Built 1864
Image : Harry Boyle collection, Maitland City Library.
This image can be used for study and personal research purposes. Please observe copyright and acknowledge source of all photos. If you wish to reproduce this image for any other purpose you must obtain permission by contacting Maitland City Library
If you have any further information about the image, please contact us or leave a comment in the box below.
Built in 1932 with the designs of Beuttler and Arnold
It is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.
Last week the University’s School of the Built Environment celebrated its close links with employers at a special prize-giving ceremony for students that followed Wednesday’s graduation ceremony.
www.salford.ac.uk/built-environment/about-us/built-enviro...
Stoves Accolade built in collection features builtin ovens, hoob and mathcing extractor fans/hood. Amercian side by side fridge freezer in stainless steel. Plate warming and coffe machine.
www.rangecookers.co.uk/Stoves-Built-in-Ovens-search,10,4....
Built in 1899-1900 McLean's Mansion, formerly known as Holly Lea is marked for demolition following damage sustained in the Sept 2010 & Feb 2011 earthquakes.
This lovely old building is the largest timber house in Christchurch built of Kauri & consisting of 53 rooms.
The building has a category 1 listing with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
our home built dehydrator... an old fridge saved from the trash, sun heated copper pipes transporting hot air into the fridge body, an outlet on top to let humidity escape...
works brilliantly with long sunny days, we tried apricots, figs, right now elderberry flowers and lemon verbena leaves in it...
thanks to its wheels, it can be turned according to angle of sun light
the only thing missing: reliable summer days, the SUN visiting many hours... :)
Built between 1889 and 1895, this grand and massive Chateauesque-style mansion was designed by Richard Morris Hunt for George Washington Vanderbilt II and his wife, Edith Vanderbilt, whom had decided that Asheville would be an ideal place to build a French-style self-sufficient country estate.
The house is the largest private residence in the United States, with a 178,926 square foot (16,622.8 square meter) interior floor space. The house was named for De Bilt, the place where the Vanderbilt family came from in the Netherlands, and originally sat at the center of a 125,000 acre (195 square mile or 510 square kilometer) estate, which included Mount Pisgah, much of the present Pisgah National Forest Biltmore Village, and the upscale Asheville suburbs of Biltmore Forest and Biltmore Park, much of which has been parceled off and sold to help assist with keeping the estate running, with 86,700 acres of reforested land surrounding Mount Pisgah being sold to the United States government in 1915. Prior to becoming part of the estate, the land, which straddles the French Broad River, was home to small farms, and was in very poor condition, with Frederick Law Olmsted designing the landscape of the estate, reforesting large areas and creating a park-like setting with natural and artificial landscaped areas surrounding the house.
Part of the estate included Biltmore Village, formerly a small railroad town known as Best, which was redesigned to resemble a rural French medieval village, with a fan-shaped street grid centering around the Episcopal Cathedral of All Souls, which was attended regularly by the Vanderbilt family. The village also features Norman-style cottages, various shops, a train station, a hospital, and a school for the families of workers at the estate, with many of the buildings being designed by Richard Sharp Smith, who took over as lead architect following the death of Richard Morris Hunt. Today featuring many shops, restaurants, and tourist accommodations, Biltmore Village has since been annexed by the city of Asheville. The portion of the estate bordering Biltmore Village features an iconic gatehouse, which melds the cottage-like materials of the village with the more imposing design language of the mansion inside the estate. Between the gatehouse and the mansion, a 3-mile-long (5 kilometer long) driveway known as the Approach Road winds its way through carefully cultivated landscapes, as well as crossing under Interstate 40.
The grounds around the estate include a walled garden with rusticate granite walls, a large rose garden, gardener’s cottage, and a conservatory featuring various tropical plants that would not naturally grow in the local climate. Closer to the house, the large South Terrace enclosed by a rusticated retaining wall stands immediately south of the house, with a gazebo at the southwest corner of the terrace. East of the terrace is the Italian Garden, which features a formal layout, fountains, and Italian-style sculptures, with a more natural Shrub Garden and vine-covered arbor south of the Italian Garden. In front of the house is a large lawn, which runs east to the Esplanade, a stone wall with a series of stairs and ramps that switchback to an upper lawn, with a decorative series of six stone fountains embedded into the base of the wall, and a small belvedere with a Statue of Diana at the upper end of the lawn. West of the house is a grassy knoll, which leaves the views from the house of the surrounding mountains unobstructed. Finally, below the Walled Garden, an enlarged former mill pond, which predated the estate by many decades, is now known as the Biltmore Bass Pond, and has been stocked with fish, and features a boathouse, with a dam and waterfall at the lower end of the pond along the exit road from the house.
The Biltmore House features elements from various historic French Chateaux, including the stair tower and hipped roofs of the Chateau Royal de Blois, as well as various elements from the Chateau de Chenonceau, Chateau de Chambord, also in France, and Waddesdon Manor in England. The house features a facade clad in Indiana Limestone, with lots of Gothic details, leaded glass windows, casement windows, and double-hung windows, towers with steeply pitched hipped slate roofs and decorative copper cresting, ornate wall dormers, an elevator tower at one side of the staircase, a large conservatory known as the Winter Garden next to the front entrance tower, which features an octagonal glass roof with an wooden Gothic support structure, a loggia on the west side of the house with sweeping views of the Pisgah National Forest in the distance, and a stable wing on the north end of the house, with a porte cochere tower entrance to the stable courtyard, stone chimneys, and a loggia on the south side of the house. The smooth limestone exterior of the house is contrasted by the house’s rusticated granite base, quarried on the grounds of the house, which also was utilized in the massive retaining wall around the adjacent South Terrace.
Inside, the house features luxurious finishes, including carved woodwork, intricate plaster details, electric lighting and steam heat, multiple fireplaces, a large kitchen and laundry in the basement, many guest rooms, a massive four-story chandelier in the grand staircase, a basement swimming pool, bowling alley, and gymnasium, a large grand banquet hall, bedrooms for staff, and a two-story library. The house features antiques and decorations sourced from the Vanderbilts’ many international excursions and antique dealers, as well as lots of art.
The house was opened for public tours in 1930, which has, over time, expanded in scale to feature more areas of the house and estate. The house was utilized to store 62 paintings and 17 sculptures from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC 1942, with Asheville believed to be a safe haven for them in the event that the United States was invaded by a foreign military, with the house remaining the repository for these important works until 1944, when the tides of war had turned. Biltmore Estate was designated as a National Historic Landmark 1963, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, owing to the house’s significant size, intact detailing, and connections to notable individuals. Still owned by the Cecil family, the descendants of Cornelia Vanderbilt Cecil, George and Edith Vanderbilt’s only child, the house is today utilized as a museum and open to tours, with the 8,000 remaining acres comprising the modern grounds of the estate having been developed with tourist amenities, including the conversion of the estate’s various barns into museums, restaurants, and a winery, as well as the construction of a luxury hotel, shops, and additional support facilities. The estate today is a major tourist attraction, seeing nearly 2 million visitors every year.
The parish church of St. Roch and Sebastian is a Roman Catholic parish church in the 3rd Vienna's Landstrasse Hauptstrasse in the country .
The church was built in 1642 from Augustinian Hermits at the site of a former convent chapel of St. Rupert's Church of the Discalced and completely destroyed during the Second Siege of Vienna in 1683. In 1687 was began with the construction of the new church in baroque style. The façade was designed 1718-1721, since the external appearance of the church has not changed significantly. 1783, it became Landstraßer parish church. The following year, the former parish church, St. Nicholas Church, which previously was located directly at the site of the present Rochus market, was demolished. The monastery was dissolved in 1812. Two wings of the former cloister southeast of the church are still preserved. From 2000 on, the church was renovated . During the renovation the yellow paint ( " Schönbrunn yellow " ) has been replaced by gray and white ( findings) . The leadership and pastoral care of the Roman Catholic parish of St. Roch and Sebastian is entrusted to the Oratory of St. Philip Neri since the 1970s. By November 2009 there are seven active priests; pastor since March 31, 2009 P. Florian Calice CO .
In Austria, the parish at the end of November 2006 became medial known as several Austrian print media reported the parish internal decision that established in the 1960s temporary Volksaltar should be replaced by the Baroque high altar as a celebration altar again. With this change, the priest stands as the people ( " with his back to the people") during the celebration of the Eucharist partly in the same direction .
Specifications
Church exterior
The facade was according to documents that were found in 1835 in the course of a renovation in the tower cupolas built by the military engineer named Kollmann and not otherwise known architect and stone mason Kaspar Offel and completed 1721. The name of the second-mentioned architect often leads to confusion with Anton Ospel, who planned at same time the church of the Spanish Hospital in the Boltzmann-Gasse in Vienna - Alsergrund. Ascertained is that the sculptor Georg Anton Eberl created the statues on the facade. The figurative decoration of the triaxial double tower façade makes the church unique to the Church of the Augustinian shod : the figure at the top of a basket comprised of curved triangle gable is a statue of St. Augustine. This is due to the two holy monks Thomas of Villanova and St. Nicholas of Tolentino . Both are wearing the clothes of the Augustinian Order with " wide sleeves ." A putto reaches Augustine a facade model of the old Rochus Church , the second cherub hands him an open book. In the cartridges at the bases of the towers are three gold stars, the stemma of the Neri family, in memory of St. Philip Neri. Till 1816 was in a large gable box in which you can see a clock and a coat of arms image of the city of Vienna, a depiction of Moses with a fortified brazen serpent on a pole. With the help of the snake the plague is treated among the Israelites they suffered while fleeing through the desert, the plague is determining the lower part of the facade, structured by six pilasters. Below the pediment is a large attic area.
The triaxial frontage on a high pedestal is divided by six Riesenpilaster (giant pilasters) . In the two lateral axes are located one above the other two niches with statues of saints, in the central axis is a window situated above a portal niche. The niche characters were created in 1721: in the middle of it Madonna and Child, St. Ulrich top left, bottom left, St. Sebastian, right holy Rosalia, including the St. Roch. Above the window is a relief with putti and the imperial arms . The facade is very strongly linked by the theme of the plague to the high altar . In both, the same saints and Mary appear as an advocate on the plague-stricken people.
Church Interior
The early Baroque church has a single nave . It is the type of a pilaster church set with bows. These carry with the exception of the fourth yoke galleries with balustrades. The choir is structurally slightly offset by a triumphal arch from the nave. Above the nave barrel vault with transverse arches and lunettes. The vault has remnants of stucco decoration from the 17th Century. The large cartouche with the royal coat of arms at the apex of the arch, which is supported by two angels, is the last remnant of the stucco decoration.
The strong and often profiled beams carry Doppelpilaster which consist of red stucco marble. In the fourth yoke is indicated by the lack of a transept galleries. The chorus is somewhat narrower and lower than the rest of the nave. The back wall is occupied entirely by the structure of the high altar. Also the input yoke with the organ loft is retracted.
Equipment
The three-storey high altar was donated by Emperor Leopold I. Two large twisted marble columns with Corinthian capitals flank the golden altarpiece, which was painted by Peter Strudel 1690. It depicts the plague saints Sebastian and Roch and Rosalia who, together with Mary, Gregory the Great and St. Augustine are praying for Vienna treatened by the plague.
A new organ was integrated in 1991 by the brothers Mayer Orgel in the body organ built by Johann Bohack from 1799.
Stitched from 70+images, really confused ICE. I need to find more interesting subjects that will hold still for me. Got a little goofy with the editing on this one.
National Railway Museum, York.... 20apr2013
Built 1937
Built for the London and North Eastern Railway in 1937, this locomotive was originally numbered 4496 and named Golden Shuttle. It was renamed Dwight D. Eisenhower after the Second World War and renumbered 8 on 23 November 1946 under Edward Thompson's LNER 1946 renumbering scheme. After nationalisation in 1948 British Railways added 60000 to the number so it became 60008 on 29 October 1948.
She was withdrawn from service on 20 July 1963. By this time, the Deltic diesel electric locomotives had displaced steam from premier services so the A4 fleet was reduced and concentrated further north. Dwight D. Eisenhower was donated to the United States of America and sent to Doncaster Works for restoration.
It was shipped to the US, arriving in New York Harbor on 11 May 1964. loaned to the National Railway Museum for a period of two years, returning to America in early 2014.The loco's cosmetic restoration was completed in February 2013 and the loco was then put on display in the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum in York next to sister engine 4468 Mallard. 60008 and 4468 met up with the other 4 members of the class in a 2 week event at York from 3 July (75 years to the day that Mallard set the World Speed Steam record.)
Built by brothers, John D. and Cass A. Mayo, the Mayo Hotel was once the largest hotel in Tulsa with 600 rooms. It is now being converted over to lofts, but you can rent out the old ballrooms and lobby for events.
The Mayo Hotel is on the National Register #80003303.
Built in 1879 this building has faithfully served the community with few interruptions. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is undertaking a major renovation of the interior and the exterior oolite sandstone to restore its original look and also making seismic upgrades. Utah is earthquake country and it's generally accepted that a major earthquake will occur someday.
Built just a year before the outbreak of the Second World War, Saint Therese Little Flower Catholic Church in Wendouree Parade is one of Ballarat’s more hidden places of worship as it stands beneath the shade of a large tree in its grounds.
Opened on Sunday, 17th of April 1938 by the Most Reverent D. Foley, the Bishop of Ballarat, Saint Therese Little Flower Church was built by A. J. Wilson. Designed by local architect P. J. O’Connor, the church is a tribute to the prevailing Spanish Mission style, so popular in the late 1930s. It features stuccoed walls , rounded grille covered windows, a doorway with a Spanish styled cartouche above it and rounded terracotta tiles. All these architectural elements were in vogue at the time.
Surrounded by well maintained grounds, Saint Therese Little Flower Church maintains its original red brick wall with rounded newel posts and its original wrought iron gate.
The Spanish Mission style was typically a style that emerged in California during the interwar years and spread across the world.
Built in 1887 as a church, later used as a cinema and (during WW2) as a temporary mortuary, then Coronet Silversmiths, the Windser Furnishing Company, Blockbuster Entertainment and, latterly, the Not Just Antiques Emporium. In 2014 Goadsby's estate agents described the premises as comprising "a net sales area of 1,703 sq ft with 1,689 sq ft of additional space at first floor and was let on a new lease. The quoting rental was £27,000 per annum, exclusive."
Bedervale House.
This impressive house was built in 1842 for John Coghill. It was designed by John Verge, a prominent NSW architect (among his many commissions was Camden Park House for the MacArthur family.) John Coghill settled in NSW in 1826. He lived at Camden but purchased nearly 6,000 acres at Braidwood where a house was commenced around 1835. He moved to Braidwood in 1837. Like most landowners Coghill would have had assigned convicts to work his pastoral property until the mid 1840s. When he died in 1853 the property was inherited by one of his daughters (Elizabeth Maddrell) who ran the property with her husband and expanded it to an estate of over 33,000 acres of freehold land. They had tenant farmers on much of the land and this system continued until the 1930s when they sold most of the land. Robert and Elizabeth Maddrell were both buried in Braidwood cemetery. One of their sons, Robert Maddrell inherited Bedervale in 1900. The Maddrell family retained Bedervale until it was sold in 1973 to Margaret Royds the current owner. The National Trust owns the contents of the house to keep the collection of Coghill furniture together. Bedervale has extensive landscaped gardens with mature English trees. The design of the 1842 house made defence from bushrangers or hostile Aboriginal people easier.
Built in 1847, this Greek Revival-style house was designed by Isaac Hart, and was built for American sea merchant and captain John Dominis and his wife, Mary Jones Dominis, a native of Boston. The two-story house features a relatively square main wing built of wood frame and clad in clapboards, surrounded on three sides by wrap-around lanais on the first and second floors with doric columns, brackets, and french doors, a large hipped roof, a front door with a fanlight transom and sidelights, a front porte cochere, and a rear ell that serves as a service wing, with an addition having been built onto the southeast side of the house in the 20th Century when it was utilized as the Hawaiian Governor’s Mansion, which does not feature the wrap-around lanais, but incorporates doric pilasters into its facades, and a large one-story lanai at the southeastern most extent of the structure. Built on land awarded to Dominis in 1842, as a settlement for a lawsuit, John Dominis never saw the house completed, as he was lost at sea with a ship headed to China in 1846, leaving his widow Mary Dominis and son John Owen Dominis to rent out rooms in the house to boarders. The house, in its early years, was inhabited by William Little Lee between 1849 and 1854, whom reformed the Hawaiian legal system to more closely resemble the legal system of Massachusetts, as well as Anthony Ten Eyck, an American Commissioner to the islands whom was appointed by President James K. Polk, and whom bestowed the name “Washington Place” upon the house in 1848, which was formally approved by King Kamehameha III. In 1862, John Owen Dominis married Lydia Kamakaeha Pākī, whom later became Queen Liliʻuokalani, with the house becoming her private residence, which she shared with her husband and her mother-in-law, as well as boarders whom rented rooms in the house. Mary Dominis died in 1889, after which the American flag that had been flying outside the house since the death of her husband John Dominis was lowered to commemorate the occasion. Upon the death of King David Kalākaua in 1891, Lydia rose to the throne and was coronated as Queen Liliʻuokalani. During her reign, the house was her private residence, with formal and ceremonial state functions taking place in the nearby ‘Iolani Palace. In 1893, when she was deposed in a coup that overthrew the Kingdom of Hawaii, Queen Liliʻuokalani was arrested at Washington Place, and was imprisoned at ‘Iolani Palace, tried by the courts of the Provisional Government of Hawaii, and convicted of treason, and placed under house arrest inside Washington Place for several months. For the rest of her life, Queen Liliʻuokalani lived at Washington Place, before dying at the age of 79 in 1917. In 1921, the territorial legislature of Hawaiʻi purchased Washington Place from Queen Liliʻuokalani’s estate, renovating the structure in 1922 to serve as the Governor’s Mansion for the Territory of Hawaii, and after 1959, as the Governor’s Mansion for the State of Hawaii. In 2002, the house was converted into a museum, and in 2008, a new Governor’s Mansion was constructed to the rear of the historic mansion, which today is the official residence of the Governor of Hawaii. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 2007.
Built for Flickr LUGNuts 4th anniversary challenge to the theme - 'By Random Appointment' - Fast Gassin' is a Hot Wheels Custom truck model released in 2009. The vehicle was designed by John Violette. There are a number of colour combinations for this Hot Wheels model. The one chosen for replication in the green cab/chrome tank model - with colour substitution. The Hot Wheels model has "Fast Gassin" scripted across the tabk, here substituted with a classic lego 'Shell' fuel brick.
The lego model has been built in miniland scale to the original model. The exact scale is difficult to decipher. The front grille and fenders are common to the form of GM light trucks circa early 1950s. The cabin looks like a cross between a diesel haulage train and the rear doors of a sedan. The fuel tank is relatively small, but use of only two axles for load bearing indicates appropriate capacity.
Being built to the 'By Random Appointment' theme is always a bit scary, as you could be assigned anything - but is a great way to expand one's building experience.
Hot Wheels and Fast Gassin' are properties of Mattel, all rights reserved.
Macon calls is self the heart of Georgia because it is near the geographic centre of the state. The city has a population of 150,000 people but the metropolitan area has 420,000. Macon sits on the fall line of the Ocmulgee River and like Augusta and elsewhere a small fort was built here, Fort Hawkins, for protection against the Indians in 1806-9. The fort was a major distribution centre for supplies in the Creek Indian War of 1813. The Creeks were forced to give up their lands. Fort Hawkins was decommissioned in 1828 and destroyed. The town of Macon was named and established in 1823. Many of the early local settlers had come from North Carolina and the town was named after Nathaniel Macon. Macon was a Congressman in Washington from 1791 and the Speaker of the House from 1801-7. He then served in the US Senate from 1815 until 1828. In the early years cotton boats came up the Ocmulgee from the coast to Macon. Later the railways supplanted the cotton boats once the railroad reached Macon in 1843. Macon grew on slave labour and cotton fields. It is in the so called Black Belt of Georgia an area of black soils excellent for cotton and a region which had a predominance of black American slaves. The Black Belt stretched across into Mississippi although it is often not more than 50 kms wide. So Macon was in a region of large cotton plantations. Macon’s biggest claim to historical importance was the founding of the Methodist Episcopal Church’s college in 1836. It still exists and is called Wesleyan college. It was the first university in American to grant degrees to women.
When General William Sherman conducted his March to the Sea through Georgia in October 1863 he spared Macon as he had just burnt and destroyed nearby Milledgeville that we visit later. During the Civil War Macon had a prisoner of war camp for captured Union officers and the camp held up to 2,300 officers at any one time. The much larger camp was further away (60 miles) at Andersonville which is still within Macon County. 45,000 Union soldiers captured during the Civil War were held here. 13,000 died of starvation and disease – much caused by a vitamin C deficiency. The camp had a terrible reputation for crimes against humanity. It was an unnecessarily small and cramped camp and prisoners were shot if they approached the flimsy perimeter fence which was known as the “dead line.” Conditions were appalling and unsanitary. The camp was not liberated until May 1865. It is now an historic site with a military cemetery and museum and is just a couple of miles from Americus where the 39th President of the USA, Jimmy Carter lived. The Civil War also had a dramatic impact on Macon. The local newspaper reported after the War that “of the 23 companies which the city had furnished the Confederacy (in 1861), only enough men survived and were fit for duty to fill five companies by the end of the war. The human toll was high.”
Today Macon thrives as a major transportation and business centre with shopping malls, tourism and the largest single site industrial/employment site in Georgia- the Robins Airforce Base. It employs over 26,000 personnel with 5,000 residents living on the base. Robins Airforce Base provides repairs, equipment and logistic support for the American Airforce. It is one of three such bases that does that for worldwide US operations. The Georgia National Guard is also based in the city of Macon. We are visiting Macon during its International Cherry Blossom Festival. This ten day festival highlights the 300,000 Yoshino Cherry trees that are planted around the city in the parks, the universities and the streets. The festival brings together walks, free concerts and exhibitions and other activities in Central Park.
King Dutugemunu built it as a Dagoba of the "Mahavihara" fraternity but as the monks started living there, it sees that Mirisawetiya developed as a separate monastery. However it is believed that it would have functioned as a monastery belonging to the Mahavihara Fraternity.
Several Kings, at different intervals made renovations to the Dagaba. Among them are King Gajabahu 1 (112-134 AC), and King Voharika Tissa (214-236 AC).
King Gajabahu 1: Put a new coating on Mirisawet iya
King Voharika Tissa: Restored the umbrella of the Dagoba and rebuilt a wall around the Dagaba)
The stupa and other buildings needed restoration after the Chola invasion and it is said that King Kassapa V (914-923 AC) did the restoration.
King Kassapa V also is said to have built a massive mansion called "The Chandana Prasada", adjoining the Temple to house the scared hair relic (keshadathu), which was supposed to have been brought to Sri Lanka during the time of King Moggalana (495-513 AC)
The Dagaba was again damaged by the recurrent Chola invasions and it is said that King Parakaramabahu 1(1153-1186 AC) did a comprehensive restoration and built the stupa to a height of 120 feet.
The last recorded renovations around that period were done by King Nissankamalla (1187-1196 AC).