View allAll Photos Tagged built
Built for British Railways in 1949 to the LMS pattern, brake van B950003 is seen in the yard at Wirksworth on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway on 10th August 2013.
Built in Italy, the Rodriquez PT20 hydrofoil MANU WAI was delivered to New Zealand in June 1964. Now under restoration in Sydney and moored in Berrys Bay.
Built in 1950 as the Canyon Padre Trading Post, it was bought and renamed the Twin Arrows Trading Post in 1954 by the new owners where it stayed in business until the mid 1990s.
Twin Arrows, Arizona
2008 Darlington built LNER peppercorn A1 steam loco 60163 Tornado seen at one in a blue moon at the Didcot railway centre
London and north eastern railway A4 4-6-2 steam locomotive 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley built Doncaster works 1937 at once in a blue moon at the didcot railway centre
Built in 1899, the house is built on a granite foundation with walls that are 3 bricks thick and go all the way to the attic.
Clerkenwell London St John's Gate built in 1504 by Prior Thomas Docwra as the south entrance to the inner precinct of Clerkenwell Priory, the English headquarters of the Knights of the Order of St John en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s_Gate,_Clerkenwell
Originally built in 1847-49 as an aqueduct to carry canal boats across the river to the Delaware & Hudson Canal, on the east bank. When the canal shut down in 1898, it was converted to a road crossing for wagons, and later improved to carry autos. It's one of the first bridges that used steel wire cables to support the crossing, and is now the oldest existing wire suspension bridge in the U.S.
The piers, the cables, and the cable saddles are the original. The roadway and its supporting structure were reconstructed in 1986 by the National Park Service.
Built for Penn Central. At Norfolk Southern's Saginaw yard in Lansing. This line is now operated by the Jackson & Lansing RR.
Konark Sun Temple ([koɳarəkə]; also Konârak) is a 13th-century Sun Temple at Konark in Odisha, India. It is believed that the temple was built by king Narasimhadeva I of Eastern Ganga Dynasty around 1250 CE. The temple is in the shape of a gigantic chariot elaborately carved stone wheels, pillars and walls. A major part of the structure is now in ruins. The temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has also featured on various list of Seven Wonders of India.
ETYMOLOGY
The name Konark derives from the combination of the Sanskrit words, Kona (corner) and Arka (sun), in reference to the temple which was dedicated to the Sun god Surya.
The monument was also called the Black Pagoda by European sailors. In contrast, the Jagannath Temple in Puri was called the White Pagoda. Both temples served as important landmarks for the sailors.
ARCHITECTURE
The temple was originally built at the mouth of the river Chandrabhaga, but the waterline has receded since then. The temple has been built in the form of a giant ornamented chariot of the Sun god, Surya. It has twelve pairs of elaborately carved stone wheels which are 3 meters wide and is pulled by a set of seven horses (4 on the right and 3 on the left). The temple follows the traditional style of Kalinga architecture. It is carefully oriented towards the east so that the first rays of sunrise strikes the principal entrance. The temple is built from Khondalite rocks.
The original temple had a main sanctum sanctorum (vimana), which was supposedly 70 m tall. Due to the weight of the super structure and weak soil of the area the main vimana fell in 1837. The audience hall (Jagamohana), which is about 30 m tall, still stands and is the principal structure in the surviving ruins. Among the structures, which have survived to the current day, are the dance hall (Nata mandira) and dining hall (Bhoga mandapa).
The Konark temple is also known for its erotic sculptures of maithunas.
Two smaller ruined temples have been discovered nearby. One of them is called the Mayadevi Temple and is located southwest from the entrance of the main temple. It is presumed to have been dedicated to Mayadevi, one of the Sun god's wives. It has been dated to the late 11th century, earlier than the main temple. The other one belongs to some unknown Vaishnava deity. Sculptures of Balarama, Varaha and Trivikrama have been found at the site, indicating it to be a Vaishnavite temple. Both temples have their primary idols missing.
A collection of fallen sculptures can be viewed at the Konark Archaeological Museum which is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.
HISTORY
ANCIENT TEXTS
According to Bhavishya Purana and Samba Purana, there may have been a sun temple in the region earlier than current one, dating to the 9th century or earlier. The books mention three sun temples at Mundira (possibly Konark), Kalapriya (Mathura), and Multan.
According to the scriptures, Samba, the son of Krishna, was cursed with leprosy. He was advised by the sage, Kataka, to worship the sun god to cure his aliment. Samba underwent penance for 12 years in Mitravana near the shores of Chandrabhaga. Both the original Konark temple and the Multan temple have been attributed to Samba.
The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (1st Century CE) mentions a port called Kainapara, which has been identified as current day Konark.
SUN DIAL AND TIME
The wheels of the temple are sundials which can be used to calculate time accurately to a minute including day and night.
SECOND TEMPLE
According to the Madala Panji, there was another temple in the region. It was built by one Pundara Kesari. He may have been Puranjaya, the 7th century ruler, of the Somavasmi Dynasty.
NARASIMHADEVA I
The current temple is attributed to Narasimhadeva I of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty. His reign spanned from 1238 to 1264 CE. The temple may have been a monument to his victory against Tughral Tughan Khan.
DHARMAPADA´S TALE
According to local folklore, Narasimhadeva I had hired a chief architect called Bisu Maharana to build the temple. After a period of twelve years, a workforce of twelve thousand almost finished the construction. But, they failed to mount the crown stone. The impatient king ordered the temple to be finished in three days or the artisans be put to death. At the time, Bisu Maharana's twelve-year-old son, Dharmapada arrived at the site. Bisu Maharana had never seen his son, as he had left his village when his wife was still pregnant. Dharmapada successfully proposed a solution to mount the crown stone. But, the artisans were still apprehensive that the king will be displeased to learn that a boy succeeded where his best artisans failed. Dharmapada climbed onto the temple and leapt into the water to save his father and his co-workers.
COLLAPSE
There have been several proposed theories for the collapse of the main sanctum. The date of the collapse is also not certain.
The Kenduli copper plates of Narasimha IV (Saka 1305 or 1384 CE) states the temple to be in a perfect state.
In the 16th century Ain-i-Akbari, Abul Fazl also mentions Konark being in a proper state. The account also mentions the cost of construction being 12 years of revenue.
The cause of collapse is also placed on Kalapahad who invaded Odisha in 1568.
In 1627, the then Raja of Khurda had removed the sun idol from Konark and moved it to the Jagannath temple in Puri.
James Fergusson (1808–1886) had the opinion that marshy foundation had caused the collapse. But, the structure has shown no sign of sinking into its foundation. Fergusson, who visited the temple in 1837, recorded a corner of the main sanctum still standing. It also fell down in 1848 due to a strong gale.
According to Percy Brown (1872–1955), the temple was not properly completed and so it collapsed. This contradicts earlier recorded accounts of the temple being in a proper state.
In 1929, an analysis of a moss covered rock estimated the date of abandonment at around 1573.
Other proposed causes include lightning and earthquake.
ARUNA STAMBHA
In the last quarter of the 18th century, when worship had ceased in the temple, the Aruna stambha (Aruna pillar) was removed from the entrance of Konark temple and placed at the Singha-dwara (Lion's Gate) of the Jagannath temple in Puri by a Maratha Brahmachari called Goswain (or Goswami). The pillar is made of monolithic chlorite and is 10.26 m tall . It is dedicated to Aruna, the charioteer of the Sun god.
PRESERVATION EFFORTS
In 1803, requests were made for conservations by the East India Marine Board, but only removal of stones from the site was prohibited by the Governor General. As a result, a part of the main tower, which was still standing, collapsed in 1848.
The then Raja of Khurda removed some stones and sculptures to use in a temple he was building in Puri. A few gateways and some sculptures were destroyed in the process. In 1838, after the depredation of the Raja of Khurda, Asiatic Society of Bengal requested conservation, but the requests were denied and only preventative of human-caused damages were guaranteed. The Raja was forbidden to remove any more stones.
In 1859, Asiatic Society of Bengal proposed moving an architrave depicting the navagraha to the Indian Museum in Calcutta. The first attempt in 1867 was abandoned as the funds ran out.
In 1894, thirteen sculptures were moved to the Indian Museum.
In 1903 when a major excavation was attempted nearby, the then Lieutenant governor of Bengal, J. A. Baurdilon, ordered the temple to be sealed and filled with sand to prevent the collapse of the Jagamohana.
In 1906, casuarina and punnang trees were planted facing the sea to buffer the site against sand-laden winds.
In 1909, the Mayadevi temple was discovered while removing sand and debris.
The temple was granted World Heritage Site status by the UNESCO in 1984.
WIKIPEDIA
Built in the Georgian and Victorian periods. These were designed to carry four tons. A chaldron was another name for a coal wagon. This one like a number of them were built in 1870s by Hopper Radcliffe & Co. at the Britannia Ironworks in Fencehouses.
(built 2000, see tags for further known data). Op dit werk is een Creative Commons Licentie van toepassing
Built on the summit of an undulating hill, St Joseph's Catholic Church overlooks the South Gippsland dairy farming town of Korumburra.
Approaching St Joseph's from the west up the hillside, you would never guess that this Inter-War Gothic style church was within the township, as it settles langidly behind a copse of trees on the hill's rise beyond a paddock of long sunburn grass.
St Joseph's Catholic Church has been built in the popular ecclesiastical and collegiate Inter-War Gothic style. Architects’ approach to this style was free rather than archaeological as in previous incarnations of the Gothic architecture style. Inter-War Gothic style also featured less complicated ornamentation than earlier periods, and mouldings and detailing of the style tend to have hard, mechanical qualities. Built of red brick, with stone detailing, it is a fine example of such architecture with its crenellated belfry elegant stone capped buttresses, parapeted gables and stone tracery. Built just after the Second World War began in 1939, a stone was blessed and laid by Daniel Mannix (1864 - 1963) the Archbishop of Melbourne on the 10th of December.
Korumburra is a medium-sized dairy and farming town in country Victoria, located on the South Gippsland Highway, 120 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. Surrounded by rolling green hills, the town has a population of a little over 4,000 people. Korumburra has built itself on coal mining (after the discovery of a coal seam in 1870), local forestry and dairy farming. Whilst the coal seam has been used up, farming in the area still thrives and a great deal of dairy produce is created from the area. The post office in the area opened on the 1st of September in 1884, and moved to the township on the railway survey line on the 1st of November 1889, the existing office being renamed Glentress. The steam railway connecting it with Melbourne arrived in 1891. Whilst the train line has long since operating commercially, it has found a new life as the popular tourist railway the South Gippsland Railway which operates a heritage railway service between the major country centre of Leongatha and the small market town of Nyora.
Built from 1909-14 and functioned first as the local arsenal, then after the Pacific War as the Kanazawa College of Art, before being converted into a museum in 1986.
At Kanazawa, Japan.
Built in 1846 by the vicar of Cartmel Priory as a shelter for walkers. There are fantastic views on a clear day.
A top side look at the old iron truss bridge I ran across last Friday. Digital black and white infrared image taken with a concerted Pentax IST DS on 4-5-2013
Land purchased 1890 & house built 1900 by Benjamin Burford, sold Dec 1907 to Otto von Rieben, offered 1944 to Burnside Council as community hospital, opened 7 Mar 1949 as Burnside War Memorial Hospital, new hospital opened adjacent Oct 1956. Original house now used as Attunga Medical Centre. Von Rieben established a large garden and aviaries around his house of 14 rooms and it became the venue for fund-raising events.
“Benjamin Burford, who at one time was a member of the firm of W. H. Burford and Sons. . . The deceased, who left a widow, recently built a large house on the Kensington road and had been living there.” [Advertiser 19 May 1905]
“Mr. von Rieben is another Barrier man who, having gone through the dust and heat, is now settled at Rose Park.” [Chronicle 6 Nov 1909]
“Mrs. O. Von Rieben threw open her spacious house and grounds at ‘Attunga’, Rose Park, for a concert in aid of Red Cross Funds, and a perfectly delightful time was spent for an hour or two. . . We gathered in the hall, on the staircase, and in the drawing room. . . to wander round the well-kept garden and admire the small zoo which Mr. von Rieben keeps on the premises. There were two magnificent peacocks, Pacific gull, Cape Barren geese, ducks of all sorts, parrots, cockatoos, emus, and all sorts of feathered creatures.” [The Mail 14 Aug 1915]
“Attunga, the residence of Mr. O. von Rieben, at Kensington road, Toorak. About 10 years ago this property, which covers an, area of about five acres was practically a wilderness, covered with wattles, and enclosed by a picket fence. To-day it is a horticultural triumph. . . The palm (Phoenix Oanariensis) . . . for many years it adorned Mr. D. M. Tweedie's garden at Tusmore Park, Knightsbridge. When that property was subdivided, Mr. von Rieben purchased blocks embracing the garden, and went to great trouble to have the mammoth palm removed to Attunga, a mile away. . . there are 25 different varieties of palms in this beautiful garden. . . the pretty blue cedar growing, and ensconced among other trees is a fine specimen of the genuine rubber tree. . . a huge flight aviary, which contains many parrots. Birds in the garden give soul to the place. Magpies and laughing tacks move contentedly about the lawns. . . Cape Barren goose, the ibis, mountain duck, Chilian pintail, Japanese teal, black duck, Manchurian duck, wood duck, Pacific and ordinary gull, and a crane.” [Observer 3 May 1919]
“the death of Mrs. von Rieben, wife of Mr. O. von Rieben, of Attunga, Toorak. Mr. von Rieben is a former proprietor of the 'Barrier Miner', but he has been living at Toorak for some years. Both he and his wife have done much good work for patriotic causes, and their beautiful residence, with its extensive grounds, has on a number of occasions been lent for fetes and other gatherings.” [Chronicle 1 Jan 1921]
“the beautiful garden of Attunga, Mr. Otto von Rieben's house in Kensington road, Toorak, will be open for the annual fete of St. Matthew's Church. Attunga has a magnificent array of trees, including many varieties of palms, and its lawns are emerald green and clipped. Birds in aviaries and various kinds of ducks are especially interesting for the visitor.” [The Mail 19 Oct 1935]
“Mr. Otto von Rieben, of Stirling yesterday handed over as a free gift his stately two-storey home Attunga, and four and a half acres of land at Kensington road, Toorak Gardens, to the city of Burnside for the purpose of establishing a hospital. . . He had lived in the house for 37 years. . . He had seen Burnside grow from a village to a city/” [Advertiser 22 Mar 1944]
“A carnival to raise funds for the new Burnside Hospital will be held at the Attunga grounds, Kensington road, Marryatville.” [Advertiser 21 Sep 1946]
“Mr. Otto Georg Ludwig von Rieben died yesterday morning at the Stirling Hospital at the age of 86. . . In 1944 Mr. von Rieben gave his two-storeyed, 14-roomed home, Attunga, to the Burnside Council for a hospital. He had lived at Attunga for 37 years. . . Mr. von Rieben was born at Morgan, on the River Murray, in 1863, and spent the early years of his life in shipping activities on the river. He afterwards went to Broken Hill, where he was a managing director and part proprietor of the newspaper ‘Barrier Miner’. He was chairman of directors of Alaska Icecream and Produce Co. Ltd., and of Horwood Bagshaw Ltd., and had directorships in a number of smaller companies. He was interested also in pastoral pursuits.” [Advertiser 9 May 1949]
“The first section of the Burnside War Memorial Hospital would be officially opened by His Excellency the Governor (Sir Willoughby Norrie) at Attunga, Kensington road, Toorak Gardens. The hospital would have 21 beds and would be for convalescent patients only. . . The staff — a matron, sister, four nurses, cook and three domestics — had been engaged or was being engaged.” [Advertiser 15 Feb 1950]
“Work on the new 46-bed Burnside War Memorial Hospital. Kensington road, Toorak Gardens, will begin early in the new year. . . the hospital would be built on the block of land adjoining the former private home Attunga, now used as a convalescent hospital, which would become the nurses' home.” [The Mail 27 Nov 1954]
Built in 1885 the Shakespeare Chateau bed and breakfast inn, is truly one of the most beautiful homes in St. Joseph, Mo. and the area. From the stained glass windows in every room and hallway to the original woodwork carved from cherry and walnut, this historical gem is worth a long look. (Photo by: Patrick P. Evenson)
Built in 1912-1913, this Arts and Crafts-style hotel was designed by Fred Loring Seeley for Edwin Wiley Grove, and is known as the Grove Park Inn. Edwin Wiley Grove, whom had made his fortune selling Grove's Chill Tonic, used to help relieve symptoms brought on by malaria that was then endemic to the southern and midwestern United States, manufactured by his company, the Paris Medicine Company, which originated in Paris, Tennessee, before moving its operations to the larger city of St. Louis, Missouri. Grove had a summer house in Asheville, built circa 1897, prior to the construction of the inn, with Fred Loring Seeley, his son-in-law and business partner, having spent extensive time in the area with Grove and his wife, Evelyn Grove Seeley. The land upon which the hotel and nearby Kimberly Avenue neighborhood was later built was purchased by Grove in 1910, acquiring land all the way to the top of Sunset Mountain, as well as several tuberculosis sanatariums that Grove closed and demolished in order to change the reputation of Asheville’s health-focused resorts. Part of the land, atop Sunset Mountain, later became home to Seeley’s Castle, a large, Tudor Revival-style castle-like mansion built similarly of rough stone, and also designed by Seeley, but featuring more medieval appearance. The hotel went through several designs by various professional architects before Grove settled upon a design by Fred Loring Seeley, which featured a simple facade clad in rough granite stones, with a shingled cotswold cottage-style roof with dormers and curved edges, casement windows, and an all-concrete interior structure. The interior of the building was outfitted with Arts and Crafts furnishings and finishes designed and built by Roycrofters, a firm based in East Aurora, New York, and was opened in a ceremony with William Jennings Bryan as the keynote speaker. The hotel featured a large dining room in the northwest wing, with a tile floor and simple plaster walls, which sat next to the hotel’s original service wing, which housed the kitchen, laundry, and other service areas, a large Great Hall, serving as a lobby and lounge, in the center wing, with stone columns and massive stone fireplaces, a plaster ceiling, and a tile floor, and guest rooms on the upper floors, with a large atrium, known as the Palm Court, directly above the Great Hall, and four stories in height, crowned with a large skylight. The hotel was marketed as a health-conscious retreat for wealthy visitors. The hotel has hosted former United States Presidents William Howard Taft, Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard M. Nixon, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama in its over century-long history. The hotel was utilized during World War II to house diplomats from the Axis Powers, and later by the US Navy as a rest and rehabilitation center for returning sailors, and in 1944-45, as a US Army Redistribution Station, where soldiers rested before being assigned duties in other parts of the army. Following World War II, contingency plans in the event of a nuclear attack on the United States involved moving the US Supreme Court to the Hotel, as Asheville sat far inland in the midst of the Blue Ridge Mountains, a far more defensible location than many major cities, and had very little strategic value compared to most cities of its size. In 1955, the hotel was purchased by Sammons Enterprises, owned by Charles Sammons, and underwent a modernization, seeing the stone columns in the lobby stripped and clad in aqua-colored vinyl wallpaper, the addition of a pool to the southeast terrace, a large two-story concrete motel structure that sat southeast of the hotel along the hillside, and later, the addition of a wing to the southwest, which appears to have only lasted about a decade and a half before being demolished. In 1976, the Sammons family purchased the adjacent Asheville Country Club and Golf Course, before embarking on a major renovation and expansion of the hotel between 1982 and 1988, with the addition of the massive Vanderbilt Wing and Sammons Wing on the south facade of the building, obscuring the original service wing, northwest wing, and heavily altering the hotel’s appearance with their white EIFS-clad facades, postmodern rooflines based on the original hotel, bands of horizontal and vertical black-tinted glass curtain walls, and minimal usage of rough stone. The Sammons Wing contains conference spaces, a parking garage, and service areas for the hotel, with guest rooms along the southern and western edges of the building, with the Vanderbilt Wing containing hotel rooms along the southern and eastern edges of the building, wrapping around a central parking garage, and also containing a large multi-story atrium and restaurants. The original wing of the hotel was restored as part of this project, with the columns in the lobby being clad in oak surrounds, the stonework and roof being repaired, the palm court being brought back to its original appearance, and furnishings from the period of significance for the hotel being re-introduced to the interior. Around the turn of the millennium, the grounds in front of the historic inn and between the two modern wings was re-landscaped with waterfalls, terraces, and gardens, with a new Spa building being constructed below the hotel, partially underground, between the two wings, with the two previous swimming pools on the hotel grounds being closed at this time. In 2012, the hotel was purchased by KSL Resorts for $120 million, whom subsequently sold it to Omni Hotels in 2013, with the hotel being rebranded as The Omni Grove Park Inn. The hotel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, though this would not have been possible following the massive alterations the building underwent in the 1980s, as the renovations have significantly and irreversibly altered the historic hotel, and have removed several character-defining features, though this is understandable in that it was done to keep the hotel economically viable in the modern age of larger resorts and economies of scale, which made the hotel in its previous form no longer economically viable.
Built between 1941 and 1944 in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, the USS Missouri (BB-63) was launched on January 29, 1944 and commissioned on June 11, 1944 to serve with the United States Navy in World War II. Active in the Pacific Theater of the war, the USS Missouri fought in the battle of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and took part in the shelling of the Japanese home islands. On April 11, 1945, the ship was attacked by a kamikaze pilot and was struck on the side below the main deck, with the ship suffering relatively minor damage, which is still visible today. On September 2, 1945, while docked in Tokyo Bay, a delegation representing the Empire of Japan surrendered to allied forces on the deck of the USS Missouri, bringing World War II to an official end, with documents being signed by Japanese and Allied leaders. The ship subsequently returned to New York after stops in Guam and Hawaii, and underwent an overhaul in the New York Naval Shipyard. The ship then headed on a training cruise to Cuba before heading back to New York and then east across the Atlantic Ocean, making a stop at Gibraltar before arriving at Istanbul on April 5, 1946. The ship then headed to Greece in order to assist in quelling pro-Communist groups in an attempt to contain Soviet influence in postwar Europe, demonstrating the commitment of the United States to European countries following the war. The ship transported President Harry Truman and his family between Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and the United States in September 1947 following the signing of the Rio treaty, broadening the Monroe doctrine and establishing solidarity between nations in the Americas. Following the war, most battleships in the US Navy were decommissioned, but the USS Missouri was kept active due to sentimental connections between it and President Truman, as well as the ship’s status as a relatively new vessel. However, the ship hit a shoal near Old Point Comfort, Virginia on January 17, 1950, leading to it becoming stranded and needing to be refloated and repaired. Upon the breakout of the Korean War, the USS Missouri was dispatched to the Korean Peninsula on August 19, 1950, in order to support UN forces on the peninsula. The ship provided artillery support to South Korean and United States forces attempting to push back the invasion of North Korean and Chinese forces, and was active until the end of hostilities in 1953. The ship returned to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard after the war, being overhauled before going on a patrol mission in June 1954, returning in August 1954. After this mission, the ship was sent to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in September 1954, where it was decommissioned on February 26, 1955, ending its first period of active service. The ship became a popular tourist attraction during its period of deactivation, remaining in use as a museum ship until 1984, with the surrender deck having bronze plaques and an exhibit set up to commemorate the ceremony that ended World War II, which occurred on the deck. In 1971, the ship was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in recognition of its remarkable state of preservation, and the very historically notable events that took place on and around the ship. In the summer of 1984, as part of an initiative to expand the number of active ships in the United States Navy under President Ronald Reagan, the ship was reactivated and sent to the Long Beach Naval Shipyard for refurbishment and modernization, with many original features and weapons removed and replaced with far more advanced modern weaponry and systems. On May 10, 1986, the ship was formally recommissioned in San Francisco. The ship participated in patrols and naval exercises throughout the period between 1986 and 1991. During the Gulf War in January and February of 1991, the ship was utilized to assist forces pushing the Iraqi army out of Kuwait, with the ship’s missile and artillery systems being utilized against targets on land. After the end of the Gulf War and due to the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the ship was decommissioned once again on March 31, 1992, at Long Beach, California. The ship was returned to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, as part of the reserve fleet, where it remained until January 12, 1995, when it was removed from the Naval Vessel Register. The ship was not operated as a museum ship at this time, and was towed from the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard on May 23, 1998, before arriving at Ford Island in Pearl Harbor on June 22, 1998, opening to the public as a museum ship on January 29, 1999. The location of the ship in Pearl Harbor was chosen due to the significance of the harbor and the ship to the beginning and end of the direct involvement of the United States in World War II. The ship underwent an overhaul in 2009-10, which has ensured its continued preservation. The ship today serves as a museum to the operating history of the former military vessel, as well as the very historically significant ceremony on September 2, 1945, which ended World War II.
built by brush at loughborough in 1965 as class 47 D1813 renumbered to tops as 47332 in march 1974 renumbered to 57007 in 1999 when rebuilt and engineered
built by brush at loughborough in 1965 as class 47 D1803 renumbered to tops as 47322 in march 1974 renumbered to 57002 in 1998 when rebuilt and engineered
seen at Stratford on the 08.59 Norwich to crewe light engine move passing Stratford at 12.13 running 76 late
Built in 1888, using the designs of W.R. Parsons & C. Howard Parsons, the Bankers Loan & Trust Company (seen on the left of this block) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Concordia is located in central northern Kansas between Salina and the Nebraska state line. It is the county seat and largest city of Cloud County.
Photo courtesy of Paul Cooper, Built by Jack Lauterwasser for Alex Moulton, note no rear rack stub and high spec components-seen here circa 1978.
Built by A & J Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow, 1899. Between 1915 and 1920 she was commissioned as a minesweeper, Admiralty number 932 (ref: www.naval-history.net). She returned to service during WWII, and was sunk off Dunkirk while evacuating troops.
From the Bill Lind collection.
Powerscourt Centre
Built as a town house and office for Lord Powerscourt, Richard Wingfield 3rd Viscount (1730-1788), the building was designed by Robert Mack and is built in granite mined from the Powerscourt estate in Co. Wicklow. The house took three years to complete and cost £80,000.
Known in Dublin as the 'French Earl' because he had made the Grand Tour and returned home wearing the latest Parisian fashions, starting a trend that continues in the building to this day, Richard died here in 1788 and was laid out in state for two days, with the public being admitted to view him.
Over the years, the Government made expansive alterations to the property. Francis Johnston, architect of the G.P.O. and St. George's Church, added three groups of buildings around the courtyard for use as a stamp office. There are other examples of Johnston's work nearby on Clarendon Street, with the Clock tower and Bell.