View allAll Photos Tagged built
Built to replace an older Midland Bank which was at 7 Everton Road.
That one was opened about 1876 and was replaced by the one in the photo.
I don't have closing dates for Midland banks - I can only go up to 1968 (street directory) when this branch was still listed.
Update:
Now student accommodation (yawn!).
More info.
See below.
Gyeongbokgung (Hangul: 경복궁; hanja: 景福宫), also known as Gyeongbokgung Palace or Gyeongbok Palace, was the main royal palace of the Joseon dynasty. Built in 1395, it is located in northern Seoul, South Korea. The largest of the Five Grand Palaces built by the Joseon dynasty, Gyeongbokgung served as the home of Kings of the Joseon dynasty, the Kings' households, as well as the government of Joseon.
Gyeongbokgung continued to serve as the main palace of the Joseon dynasty until the premises were destroyed by fire during the Imjin War and abandoned for two centuries. However, in the 19th century, all of the palace's 7,700 rooms were later restored under the leadership of Prince Regent Heungseon during the reign of King Gojong. Some 500 buildings were restored on a site of over 40 hectares. The architectural principles of ancient Korea were incorporated into the tradition and appearance of the Joseon royal court.
In the early 20th century, much of the palace was systematically destroyed by Imperial Japan. Since then, the walled palace complex is gradually being reconstructed to its original form. Today, the palace is arguably regarded as being the most beautiful and grandest of all five palaces. It also houses the National Palace Museum of Korea and the National Folk Museum within the premises of the complex.
OVERVIEW
Gyeongbokgung was built three years after the Joseon dynasty was founded and it served as its main palace. With Mount Bugak as a backdrop and the Street of Six Ministries (today's Sejongno) outside Gwanghwamun Gate, the main entrance to the palace, Gyeongbokgung was situated in the heart of the Korean capital city. It was steadily expanded before being reduced to ashes during the Japanese invasion of 1592.
For the next 273 years the palace grounds were left derelict until being rebuilt in 1867 under the leadership of Regent Heungseon Daewongun. The restoration was completed on a grand scale, with 330 buildings crowded together in a labyrinthine configuration. Within the palace walls were the Outer Court (oejeon), offices for the king and state officials, and the Inner Court (naejeon), which included living quarters for the royal family as well as gardens for leisure. Within its extensive precincts were other palaces, large and small, including Junggung (the Queen`s residence) and Donggung (the Crown prince’s residence).
Owing to its status as the symbol of national sovereignty, Gyeongbokgung was demolished during the Japanese occupation of the early 20th century. In 1911, ownership of land at the palace was transferred to the Japanese Governor-General. In 1915, on the pretext of holding an exhibition, more than 90% of the buildings were torn down. Following the exhibition the Japanese leveled whatever still remained and built their colonial headquarters, the Government-General Building (1916–26), on the site.
Restoration efforts have been ongoing since 1990. The Government-General Building was removed in 1996 and Heungnyemun Gate (2001) and Gwanghwamun Gate (2006-2010) were reconstructed in their original locations and forms. Reconstructions of the Inner Court and Crown Prince’s residence have also been completed.
HISTORY
14th—16th CENTURIES
Gyeongbokgung was originally constructed in 1394 by King Taejo, the first king and the founder of the Joseon dynasty, and its name was conceived by an influential government minister named Jeong Do-jeon. Afterwards, the palace was continuously expanded during the reign of King Taejong and King Sejong the Great. It was severely damaged by fire in 1553, and its costly restoration, ordered by King Myeongjong, was completed in the following year.
However, four decades later, the Gyeongbokgung Palace was burnt to the ground during the Japanese invasions of Korea of 1592-1598. The royal court was moved to the Changdeokgung Palace. The Gyeongbokgung palace site was left in ruins for the next three centuries.
19th CENTURY
In 1867, during the regency of Daewongun, the palace buildings were reconstructed and formed a massive complex with 330 buildings and 5,792 rooms. Standing on 4,657,576 square feet (432,703 square meters) of land, Gyeongbokgung again became an iconic symbol for both the Korean nation and the Korean royal family. In 1895, after the assassination of Empress Myeongseong by Japanese agents, her husband, Emperor Gojong, left the palace. The Imperial Family never returned to Gyeongbokgung.
20th—21st CENTURIES
Starting from 1911, the colonial government of the Empire of Japan systemically demolished all but 10 buildings during the Japanese occupation of Korea and hosted numerous exhibitions in Gyeongbokgung. In 1926, the government constructed the massive Japanese General Government Building in front of the throne hall, Geunjeongjeon, in order to eradicate the symbol and heritage of the Joseon dynasty. Gwanghwamun Gate, the main and south gate of Gyeongbokgung, was relocated by the Japanese to the east of the palace, and its wooden structure was completely destroyed during the Korean War.
Gyeongbokgung's original 19th-century palace buildings that survived both the Japanese rule of Colonial Korea and the Korean War include:
- Geunjeongjeon (the Imperial Throne Hall) — National Treasure No. 223.
- Gyeonghoeru Pavilion — National Treasure No. 224.
- Hyangwonjeong Pavilion; Jagyeongjeon Hall; Jibokjae Hall; Sajeongjeon Hall; and Sujeongjeon Hall.
Modern archaeological surveys have brought 330 building foundations to light.
RESTAURATION
In 1989, the South Korean government started a 40-year initiative to rebuild the hundreds of structures that were destroyed by the colonial government of the Empire of Japan, during the period of occupied Colonial Korea (1910-1945).
In 1995, the Japanese General Government Building, after many controversial debates about its fate, was demolished in order to reconstruct Heungnyemun Gate and its cloisters. The National Museum of Korea, then located on the palace grounds, was relocated to Yongsan-gu in 2005.
By the end of 2009, it was estimated that approximately 40 percent of the structures that were standing before the Japanese occupation of Korea were restored or reconstructed. As a part of phase 5 of the Gyeongbokgung restoration initiative, Gwanghwamun, the main gate to the palace, was restored to its original design. Another 20-year restoration project is planned by the South Korean government to restore Gyeongbokgung to its former status.
LAYOUT
MAIN GATES OF GYEONGBOKGUNG
Gwanghwamun (The Main and South Gate)
Heungnyemun (The Second Inner Gate)
Geunjeongmun (The Third Inner Gate)
Sinmumun (The North Gate)
Geonchunmun (The East Gate)
Yeongchumun (The West Gate)
OEJEON (Outer Court)
Geunjeongmun (The Third Inner Gate)
Geunjeongjeon (The Throne Hall)
Sajeongjeon (The Executive Office)
Sujeongjeon
Cheonchujeon
Manchunjeon
NAEJEONG (Inner Court)
Gangnyeongjeon (The King's Quarters)
Gyotaejeon (The Queen's Quarters)
Jagyeongjeon (The Late Queen's Quarters)
DONGGUNG (Palace of the Crown Prince)
Jaseondang (The Crown Prince's and Princesses' Quarters)
Bihyeongak (The Study of the Crown Prince)
PAVILIONS
Gyeonghoeru (The Royal Banquet Hall)
Hyangwonjeong
BRIDGES
Yeongjegyo
Having passed through the initial main gate and secondary gate (Heungnyemun Gate), visitors would pass over a small bridge named Yeongjegyo. Located on the top of the canal right next to the bridge were several imaginary creatures known as Seosu.
Chwihyanggyo
The bridge Chwihyanggyo was originally located on the north side of the island and was the longest bridge constructed purely of wood during the Joseon Dynasty; however, it was destroyed during the Korean War. The bridge was reconstructed in its present form on the south side of the island in 1953.
BIHYEONGAK
Bihyeongak (Hangul: 비현각; hanja: 丕顯閣) means big and bright a royal palace where crown prince brush up on his' study with his teacher.
BUILDINGS
GANGNYEONGJEON
Gangnyeongjeon (Hangul: 강녕전; hanja: 康寧殿), also called Gangnyeongjeon Hall, is a building used as the king's main residing quarters. First constructed in 1395, the fourth year of King Taejo, the building contains the king's bed chamber. Destroyed during the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592, the building was rebuilt when Gyeongbokgung was reconstructed in 1867, but it was again burned down by a major fire on November 1876 and had to be restored in 1888 following the orders of King Gojong.
However, when Huijeongdang of Changdeokgung Palace was burned down by a fire in 1917, the Japanese government dismembered the building and used its construction materials to restore Huijeongdang in 1920. Current Gangnyeongjeon was built in 1994, meticulously restoring the building to its original specifications and design.
Gangnyeongjeon consists of corridors and fourteen rectangular chambers, each seven chambers located to the left and right side of the building in a layout out like a checkerboard. The king used the central chamber while the court attendants occupied the remaining side chambers to protect, assist, and to receive orders. The building rests on top of a tall stone foundation, and a stone deck or veranda is located in front of the building.
The noted feature of the building is an absence of a top white roof ridge called yongmaru (Hangul: 용마루) in Korean. Many theories exist to explain the absence, of which a prominent one states that, since the king was symbolized as the dragon during the Joseon dynasty, the yongmaru, which contains the letter dragon or yong (龍), cannot rest on top of the king when he is asleep.
GEUNJEONGJEON
Geunjeongjeon (Hangul: 근정전; hanja: 勤政殿), also known as Geunjeongjeon Hall, is the throne hall where the king formally granted audiences to his officials, gave declarations of national importance, and greeted foreign envoys and ambassadors during the Joseon dynasty. The building was designated as Korea's National Treasure No. 223 on January 8, 1985.
Geunjeongjeon was originally constructed in 1395 during the reign of King Taejo, but was burned down in 1592 when the Japanese invaded Korea. The present building was built in 1867 when Gyeongbokgung was being reconstructed. The name Geunjeongjeon, created by the minister Jeong Do-jeon, means "diligence helps governance".
Constructed mainly of wood, Geunjeongjeon sits on the center of a large rectangular courtyard, on top of a two-tiered stone platform. This two-tiered platform is lined with detailed balustrades and is decorated with numerous sculptures depicting imaginary and real animals, such as dragons and phoenixes. The stone-paved courtyard is lined with two rows of rank stones, called pumgyeseoks (Hangul: 품계석; hanja: 品階石), indicating where the court officials are to stand according to their ranks. The whole courtyard is fully enclosed by wooden cloisters.
Geunjeongmun (Hangul: 근정문; hanja: 勤政門), aligned and located directly to the south of Geunjeongjeon, is the main gate to the courtyard and to Geunjeongjeon. The gate is divided into three separate aisles, and only the king was allowed to walk through the center.
GWANGHWAMUN
Gwanghwamun (Hangul: 광화문; hanja: 光化門) is the main gate of Gyeongbokgung Palace.
GYEONGHOERU
Gyeonghoeru (Hangul: 경회루; hanja: 慶會樓), also known as Gyeonghoeru Pavilion, is a hall used to hold important and special state banquets during the Joseon Dynasty. It is registered as Korea's National Treasure No. 224 on January 8, 1985.
The first Gyeonghoeru was constructed in 1412, the 12th year of the reign of King Taejong, but was burned down during the Japanese invasions of Korea in 1592. The present building was constructed in 1867 (the 4th year of the reign of King Gojong) on an island of an artificial, rectangular lake that is 128 m wide and 113 m across.
Constructed mainly of wood and stone, Gyeonghoeru has a form where the wooden structure of the building sits on top of 48 massive stone pillars, with wooden stairs connecting the second floor to the first floor. The outer perimeters of Gyeonghoeru are supported by square pillars while the inner columns are cylindrical; they were placed thus to represent the idea of Yin & Yang. When Gyeonghoeru was originally built in 1412, these stone pillars were decorated with sculptures depicting dragons rising to the sky, but these details were not reproduced when the building was rebuilt in the 19th century. Three stone bridges connect the building to the palace grounds, and corners of the balustrades around the island are decorated with sculptures depicting twelve Zodiac animals.
Gyeonghoeru used to be represented on the 10,000 won Korean banknotes (1983-2002 Series).
GYOTAEJEON
Gyotaejeon (Hangul: 교태전; hanja: 交泰殿), also called Gyotaejeon Hall, is a building used as the main residing quarters by the queen during the Joseon Dynasty. The building is located behind Gangnyeongjeon, the king's quarters, and contains the queen's bed chamber. It was first constructed in around 1440, the 22nd year of King Sejong the Great.
King Sejong, who was noted to have a frail health later in his reign, decided to carry out his executive duties in Gangnyeongjeon, where his bed chamber is located, instead of Sajeongjeon. Since this decision meant many government officials routinely needed to visit and intrude Gangnyeongjeon, King Sejong had Gyotaejeon built in consideration of his wife the queen's privacy.
The building was burned down in 1592 when the Japanese invaded Korea, but was reconstructed in 1867. Nevertheless, when Daejojeon of Changdeokgung Palace was burned down by a fire in 1917, the Japanese government disassembled the building and recycled its construction materials to restore Daejojeon. The current building was reconstructed in 1994 according to its original design and specifications. The building, like Gangnyeongjeon, does not have a top roof ridge called yongmaru.
Amisan (Hangul: 아미산; hanja: 峨嵋山), a famous garden created from an artificial mound, is located behind Gyotaejeon. Four hexagonal chimneys, constructed around 1869 in orange bricks and decorative roof tiles, adorn Amisan without showing their utilitarian function and are notable examples of formative art created during the Joseon Dynasty. The chimneys were registered as Korea's Treasure No. 811 on January 8, 1985.
HYANGWONJEONG
Hyangwonjeong (Hangul: 향원정; hanja: 香遠亭), or Hyangwonjeong Pavilion, is a small, two-story hexagonal pavilion built around 1873 by the order of King Gojong when Geoncheonggung residence was built to the north within Gyeongbokgung.
The pavilion was constructed on an artificial island of a lake named Hyangwonji (Hangul: 향원지; hanja: 香遠池), and a bridge named Chwihyanggyo (Hangul: 취향교; hanja: 醉香橋) connects it to the palace grounds. The name Hyangwonjeong is loosely translated as "Pavilion of Far-Reaching Fragrance", while Chwihyanggyo is "Bridge Intoxicated with Fragrance".
The bridge Chwihyanggyo was originally located on the north side of the island and was the longest bridge constructed purely of wood during the Joseon dynasty; however, it was destroyed during the Korean War. The bridge was reconstructed in its present form on the south side of the island in 1953.
JAGYEONGJEON
Jagyeongjeon (Hangul: 자경전; hanja: 慈慶殿), also called Jagyeongjeon Hall, is a building used as the main residing quarters by Queen Sinjeong (Hangul: 신정왕후; hanja: 神貞王后), the mother of King Heonjong. First constructed in 1865, it was burned down twice by a fire but was reconstructed in 1888. Jagyeongjeon is the only royal residing quarters in Gyeongbokgung that survived the demolition campaigns of the Japanese government during the Japanese occupation of Korea.
The chimneys of Jagyeongjeon are decorated with ten signs of longevity to wish for a long life for the late queen, while the west walls of the Jagyeongjeon compound are adorned with floral designs. The protruding southeast part of Jagyeongjeon, named Cheongyeollu (Hangul: 청연루; hanja: 清讌樓), is designed to provide a cooler space during the summer, while the northwest part of Jagyeongjeon, named Bokandang (Hangul: 복안당; hanja: 福安堂), is designed for the winter months. The eastern part of Jagyeogjeon, named Hyeopgyeongdang (Hangul: 협경당; hanja: 協慶堂) and distinguished by the building's lower height, was used by the late queen's assistants.
The building and the decorative walls were registered as Korea's Treasure No. 809 on January 8, 1985.
JIBOKJAE
Jibokjae (Hangul: 집옥재; hanja: 集玉齋), located next to Geoncheonggung Residence, is a two-storey private library used by King Gojong. In 1876, a major fire occurred in Gyeongbokgung Palace, and King Gojong, for a brief period, moved and resided in Changdeokgung Palace. He eventually moved back to Gyeongbokgung in 1888, but he had the pre-existing Jibokjae building disassembled and moved from Changdeokgung to the present location in 1891. Its name, Jibokjae, translates loosely in English as the "Hall of Collecting Jade".
The building uniquely shows heavy influence of Chinese architecture instead of traditional Korean palace architecture. Its side walls were entirely constructed in brick, a method commonly employed by the contemporary Chinese, and its roof formations, interior screens, and columns also show Chinese influences. Its architecture possibly was meant to give it an exotic appearance.
Jibokjae is flanked by Parujeong (Hangul: 팔우정; hanja: 八隅亭), an octagonal two-story pavilion, to the left and Hyeopgildang (Hangul: 협길당; hanja: 協吉堂) to the right. Parujeong was constructed to store books, while Hyeopgildang served as a part of Jibokjae. Both of the buildings are internally connected to Jibokjae.
Bohyeondang (Hangul: 보현당; hanja: 寶賢堂) and Gahoejeong (Hangul: 가회정; hanja: 嘉會亭), buildings that also formed a library complex to the south of Jibokjae, were demolished by the Japanese government in the early 20th century.
SAJEONGJEON
Sajeongjeon (Hangul: 사정전; hanja: 思政殿), also called Sajeongjeon Hall, is a building used as the main executive office by the king during the Joseon Dynasty. Located behind Geunjeongjeon Hall, the king carried out his executive duties and held meetings with the top government officials in Sajeongjeon. Two separate side buildings, Cheonchujeon (Hangul: 천추전; hanja: 千秋殿) and Manchunjeon (Hangul: 만춘전; hanja: 萬春殿), flank the west and east of Sajeongjeon, and while Sajeongjeon is not equipped with a heating system, these buildings are equipped with Ondols for their use in the colder months.
SUJEONGJEON
Sujeongjeon (Hangul: 수정전; hanja: 修政殿), a building located to the south of Gyeonghoeru, was constructed in 1867 and used by the cabinet of the Joseon dynasty.
TAEWONJEON
Taewonjeon (Hangul: 태원전; hanja: 泰元殿), or Taewonjeon Shrine, is an ancestral shrine originally built in 1868 to house a portrait of King Taejo, the founder of the Joseon dynasty, and to perform rites to the deceased royalties. Completely destroyed by the Japanese government in the early 20th century, the shrine was accurately restored to its former design in 2005.
DONGGUNG
Donggung (Hangul: 동궁; hanja: 東宮), located south of the Hyangwonjeong pavilion, was the compound where the crown prince and his wife were living. The four main buildings of the compound were Jaseondang and Bihyeongak, Chunbang (lecture hall, where the prince got the education preparing him to the throne), as well as Gyebang (the security building). In the 19th century, the future Emperor Sunjong lived in the compound. Dongdung was razed to the ground during the Japanese occupation. The restoration started in 1999, only Jaseondang and Bihyeongak were restored.
GEONCHEONGGUNG
Geoncheonggung (Hangul: 건청궁; hanja: 乾淸宮), also known as Geoncheonggung Residence, was a private royal residence built by King Gojong within the palace grounds in 1873.
King Gojong resided in Geoncheonggung from 1888 and the residence was continuously expanded, but on October 8, 1895, Empress Myeongseong, the wife of King Gojong, was brutally assassinated by the Japanese agents at the residence. Her body was burned and buried near the residence.
Haunted by the experiences of the incident, the king left the palace in January 1896, and never returned to the residence. Demolished completely by the Japanese government in 1909, the residence was accurately reconstructed to its former design and open to the public in 2007.
GOVERNOR-GENERAL´S RESIDENCE
The back garden of Gyeongbokgung used to contain the main part of the Japanese Governor-General's residence, that was built in the early 20th century during the Japanese occupation. With the establishment of the Republic of Korea in 1948, President Syngman Rhee used it as his office and residence. In 1993, after President Kim Young-sam's civilian administration was launched, the Japanese Governor-General's residence in the Cheongwadae compound was dismantled to remove a major symbol of the Japanese colonialism.
TOURISM
In 2011 in a survey conducted, by Seoul Development Institute, which included 800 residents and 103 urban planners and architects. It listed 39 percent of residents, voted that the palace as the most scenic location in Seoul, following Mount Namsan and Han River in the top spots.
ACCESS
Today, the Gyeongbokgung Palace is open to the public and houses the National Folk Museum of Korea, the National Palace Museum of Korea, and traditional Korean gardens.
TRANSPORTATION
Gyeongbokgung entry is located 22 Sajik-no, Jongno-gu. The nearest subway station is Gyeongbokgung Station (Station #327 on Line 3).
There has been off and on talk to extending the Shinbundang Line near the palace including during a March 2012 campaign promise by Hong Sa-duk to expand the line near Gyeongbok Palace
EVENS
In a poll of nearly 2,000 foreign visitors, conducted by the Seoul Metropolitan Government in November 2011, stated that watching the changing of the guards at the main gate Gwanghwamun as their third favorite activity in Seoul. The royal changing of the guard ceremony is held in front of the main gate every hour from 10:00 to 15:00.
From October, Gyeongbokgung open night season. from 7PM to 10PM. This event is only available to reservation in Inter Park Website.
WIKIPEDIA
Built on sewing machines.
Wonderful grounds with public access. Building closed.
All have an uncertain immediate future.
Built 1925. 120 S. State Street, Chicago Illinois.The Singer Corporation originally used it as office space.
Built: 1970, rebuild 2005
Dimensions: 192 feet length/ 29 feet beam/ 10.5 feet draft
Class: Luxury Class
Type: Motor Vessel/ cruise
Capacity: 32 passengers
Crew: 18 crew members + 2 naturalist guides
Accommodation: 16 cabins with private bathroom, climate controls, safe-boxes and ample space to hang and store clothing
Facilities: lounge with a bar and facilities for lectures, slide shows and films, library with a wide range of books, movies and games, Inside and Al Fresco Dinning Areas, sundeck with rattan furniture, small hot tub on bow with sun chairs and ample outside deck space
Activities: walks & hikes, snorkeling, kayaking, dinghy rides
Safety and navigation: Complete navigation and safety equipment
Specific feature: Small hot tub with lounge chairs, extensive outside areas, sea kayaks, snorkeling gear and wetsuits, kids club
The mud-brick enclosure, built by King Khasekhemwy of the Second Dynasty at Hieraconpolis. Left side of the projecting entrance way.
The "Fort" had many features that are unique and suggest it may never have been intended for funerary use. Unlike the rectangular enclosures at Abydos, the Fort is nearly square in plan, and has a single projecting entrance way, which was decorated in both phases with a complex pattern of niched brick work. To either side of the entrance are narrow chambers that presumably once held stairways allowing access to the ramparts. This projecting gateway and its flanking chambers are features not found in any other monument of this type, but bear a similarity to niched-façade palace discovered in the Dynastic town of Nekhen in the flood plain (Weeks 1972), to date, the only niche architecture known from a non-mortuary setting.
Text from www.hierakonpolis-online.org/index.php/explore-the-fort
Built by Santa Fe in 1887. It was donated to the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, Inc., and moved to Fairplex in the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona, CA in 1969 when I-210 Freeway was built.
The Run Around – With the fireman watching the rearward movement, Strasburg 2-10-0 #90, having just returned from making a run to Paradise, PA, is running around its train at the depot in Strasburg, PA and shortly will again couple onto its coaches in order to be ready for another departure. The run around process will be repeated at Paradise, which means that in one direction the locomotive will be operating tender first. The big decapod was built by Baldwin in 1924 and is ex-Great Western Railway (Colorado).
Built in the 1920s this old stone building with its Funtionalist Moderne windows and ornamental Mock Tudor gables used to be a restaurant.
Located in the Victorian country town of Korumburra, the former restaurant has long since closed and where once ladies sat taking tea at intimately grouped tables there now lies the burnt out remains of the interior, which is slowly being reclaimed by nature. Sadly, all the stylish Functionalist Moderne windows have had their panes smashed, but the frames, rusty and still held in their closed position as they were left, give an idea of how the restaurant must once have looked. The building features a typically picturesque high gabled roof line and ornamental fretwork on the boards beneath the eaves to give it that Tudorbethan style, so popular across Britain and her dominions. The whole building was once painted white and the struts on the fretwork picked out in black to give it the Olde English look that would have made this a delightful place to be.
In spite of its dereliction, there is still beauty to be found in this building. Not only is the stylish skeleton still standing proud, but in the light that fills the building's interior through the broken skeletal panes of the windows and clusters of brightly coloured nasturtiums (a remnant of the former cottage garden about the restaurant) that still spring up from amongst the grass.
Korumburra is a medium-sized dairy and farming town in country Victoria, located on the South Gippsland Highway, 120 kilometres south-east of Melbourne. Surrounded by rolling green hills, the town has a population of a little over 4,000 people. Korumburra has built itself on coal mining (after the discovery of a coal seam in 1870), local forestry and dairy farming. Whilst the coal seam has been used up, farming in the area still thrives and a great deal of dairy produce is created from the area. The post office in the area opened on the 1st of September in 1884, and moved to the township on the railway survey line on the 1st of November 1889, the existing office being renamed Glentress. The steam railway connecting it with Melbourne arrived in 1891. Whilst the train line has long since operating commercially, it has found a new life as the popular tourist railway the South Gippsland Railway which operates a heritage railway service between the major country centre of Leongatha and the small market town of Nyora.
Built on the crest of a hill in a prominent position overlooking St Kilda and the bay is the grand St Kilda Presbyterian Church. Opened in 1886, the St Kilda Presbyterian church was designed by the architects firm of Wilson and Beswicke, a business founded in 1881 by Ralph Wilson and John Beswicke (1847 - 1925) when they became partners for a short period. The church is constructed of bluestone with freestone dressings and designed in typical Victorian Gothic style. The foundation stone, which may be found on the Alma Road facade, was laid by the Governor of Victoria Sir Henry Barkly on 27 January. When it was built, the St Kilda Presbyterian Church was surrounded by large properties with grand mansions built upon them, so the congregation were largely very affluent and wished for a place of worship that reflected its stature not only in location atop a hill, but in size and grandeur.
The exterior facades of the church on Barkley Street and Alma Road are dominated by a magnificent tower topped by an imposing tower. The location of the church and the height of the tower made the spire a landmark for mariners sailing into Melbourne's port. The tower features corner pinnacles and round spaces for the insertion of a clock, which never took place. Common Victorian Gothic architectural features of the St Kilda Presbyterian Church include complex bar tracery over the windows, wall buttresses which identify structural bays, gabled roof vents, parapeted gables and excellent stone masonry across the entire structure.
The St Kilda Presbyterian Church's interior is cool, spacious and lofty, with high ceilings of tongue and groove boards laid diagonally, and a large apse whose ceiling was once painted with golden star stenciling. The bluestone walls are so thick that the sounds of the busy intersection of Barkley Street and Alma Road barely permeate the church's interior, and it is easy to forget that you are in such a noisy inner Melbourne suburb. The cedar pews of the church are divided by two grand aisles which feature tall cast iron columns with Corinthian capitals. At the rear of the building towards Alma Road there are twin porches and a narthex with a staircase that leads to the rear gallery where the choir sang from. It apparently once housed an organ by William Anderson, but the space today is used as an office and Bible study area. The current impressive Fincham and Hobday organ from 1892 sits in the north-east corner of the church. It cost £1030.00 to acquire and install. The church is flooded with light, even on an overcast day with a powerful thunder storm brewing (as the weather was on my visit). The reason for such light is because of the very large Gothic windows, many of which are filled with quarry glass by Ferguson and Urie featuring geometric tracery with coloured borders. The church also features stained glass windows designed by Ferguson and Urie, British stained glass artist Ernest Richard Suffling, Brooks, Robinson and Company Glass Merchants, Mathieson and Gibson of Melbourne and one by Australian stained glass artist Napier Waller.
I am very grateful to the Reverend Paul Lee for allowing me the opportunity to photograph the interior of the St Kilda Presbyterian Church so extensively.
The architects Wilson and Beswicke were also responsible for the Brighton, Dandenong, Essendon, Hawthorn and Malvern Town Halls and the Brisbane Wesleyan Church on the corner of Albert and Ann Streets. They also designed shops in the inner Melbourne suburbs of Auburn and Fitzroy. They also designed several individual houses, including "Tudor House" in Williamstown, "Tudor Lodge" in Hawthorn and "Rotha" in Hawthorn, the latter of which is where John Beswicke lived.
The stained glass firm of Ferguson and Urie was established by Scots James Ferguson (1818 – 1894), James Urie (1828 – 1890) and John Lamb Lyon (1836 – 1916). They were the first known makers of stained glass in Australia. Until the early 1860s, window glass in Melbourne had been clear or plain coloured, and nearly all was imported, but new churches and elaborate buildings created a demand for pictorial windows. The three Scotsmen set up Ferguson and Urie in 1862 and the business thrived until 1899, when it ceased operation, with only John Lamb Lyon left alive. Ferguson and Urie was the most successful Nineteenth Century Australian stained glass window making company. Among their earliest works were a Shakespeare window for the Haymarket Theatre in Bourke Street, a memorial window to Prince Albert in Holy Trinity, Kew, and a set of Apostles for the West Melbourne Presbyterian Church. Their palatial Gothic Revival office building stood at 283 Collins Street from 1875. Ironically, their last major commission, a window depicting “labour”, was installed in the old Melbourne Stock Exchange in Collins Street in 1893 on the eve of the bank crash. Their windows can be found throughout the older suburbs of Melbourne and across provincial Victoria.
Richmond, Virginia USA
Imperial Broom Co. was incorporated in 1945. By 1979, they built a modern plant at 214 N. 21st St. and had seven employees turning out brooms, mops and other janitorial supplies for supermarkets, hardware stores and other outlets. The company also produced specialty wedding brooms for African-Americans that hotels and resorts stocked and that Martha Stewart included in a bridal magazine.
The Theatre of Hvar, located in the Arsenal building, is a monument of the highest category and of the greatest national importance for the Republic of Croatia.
The theatre was built in 1612, during the reign of the enterprising prince Pietro Semitecolo, on the first floor of the Arsenal building. The monumental Arsenal building in the very heart of the historical centre of the town of Hvar is one of the most important naval buildings in the Mediterranean. The moulding of the entrance to the theatre from a belvedere – the Fontika terrace by the northern façade of the Arsenal - bears the inscription: ANNO SECVNDO PACIS MDCLXII. As the inscription informs us, the year 1612 was the second year of the social peace between the disputing estates of the commune of Hvar.
By building the Theatre, Semitecolo provided all the estates with a space for cultural and social happenings, thus establishing the first public theatre in Europe, an almost unfathomable proof of democracy at the time.
The Theatre of Hvar, established in 1612, is the third oldest theatre in Europe, right after the Teatro Olimpico in Vicenza from 1585 and the Teatro all'antica in Sabbioneta from 1588, which means that it definitely occupies an important place in the general theatre history.
Since we lack material evidence and archive entries from the early 17th century, we can only assume that the Theatre was originally built in the Renaissance style. The preserved interior – the stage and the auditorium with boxes - dates from 1803, when the Theatre Association was founded. The Association, a group of citizens with modern views, renovated the space devastated by the army from scratch. The Theatre was renovated and revamped several times and it took on its current neo-Baroque appearance in the mid-19th century, thus becoming one of the ten oldest Baroque theatres in Europe. A small stage and narrow boxes, as well as the proximity of the auditorium, create a very familiar atmosphere and add a certain humane dimension to the theatre, so many actors loved appearing there. Two preserved set designs on the back wall of the stage are a rarity in Europe. The older mural, which can still be seen on the stage, dates from 1819 and the other one, dating from around 1900 and depicting the prince’s palace, has been restored and placed on large mobile boards.
Since its very beginnings, for almost 400 years now, the Theatre has been the centre of the social and cultural life of the town and the commune. The theatrical life was at its peak in the 19th century, especially at carnival time, when musical and theatrical performances were put on and masquerades (or cavalchins) organized. Many Croatian dilettante and musical groups, foreign actors and musicians, orchestras and operas preformed in the Theatre. There used to be more than 30 performances in a single season. In 1921, when the Theatre Association ceased to exist, the Theatre came under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Hvar. Even though maintained only when absolutely necessary, the Theatre remained the centre of activity for many home and foreign amateur and professional groups in the 20th century.
During the last twenty years the Theatre and the Arsenal building where it is located were rather dilapidated and statically insecure and could only house smaller, chamber performances. Experts, tourists, students and pupils used to frequent the Theatre from time to time, since it was a rare type of museum space.
The Arsenal building is currently being reorganised constructionally and statically, which is necessary for the renovation of the Theatre and cultural and theatrical revitalisation of that old and historically important institution. The long-awaited renovation process will revive that extraordinary monument complex and reanimate the stage which marked the cultural history of Hvar and Croatia.
The Historic Theatre of Hvar is a member of the Perspectiv association.
The Historic Theatre of Hvar is an important monument which has been functioning as a museum for the last twenty years.
3296 R Croatia Hvar Kazalište sagrađeno 1612. godine Theatre built in 1612 Postcard sent 27.V.1958. za Janka Burgstaller
Built as as Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, this building later housed a health food store and was vacant for a number of years. It has been gutted and is now undergoing conversion into a Dunkin' Donuts location.
Halsted Street, Chicago Heights, IL
2006 Thomas Built Saf-T-Liner FS-65
Seats 66C 44A
FS#050588
1 of 12: (See 579, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 589 and 590)
Built in 1882 by James Husk of Wivenhoe, COMUS OF WIVENHOE is a gaff rigged wooden schooner of carvel construction. Her current engine is a Gardner 6 cylinder diesel installed in 1982. She is undergoing restoration at Heybridge Basin, Essex.
Crossview Format:
Gently converge (cross) your eyes and focus on the middle image that appears while ignoring the outside.
The Royal Arms of the House of Stuart is placed on the organ case in King's College chapel, Cambridge.
LÉ Róisín (P51) built by Appledore Shipbuilders in Devon, entered service with the Irish Naval Service in September 1999 and is based at the Haulbowline Island, Cork Harbour Headquarters and Dockyard.
The ship was designed by STX Canada Marine (formerly Kvaerner Masa Marine) and has an all-steel hull based on the Mauritian Vigilant patrol vessel launched in 1995, but without the helicopter deck and hangar facilities. The high level of automation incorporated into the ship's systems allows the ship to be operated with just 47 crew including eight officers. The crew is provided with comfortable accommodation. The vessel is designed for winter North Atlantic operations.
The ship is armed with an OTO Melara 76 mm gun dual purpose gun installed on the bow gun deck. The gun fires 6 kg shells and is capable of firing up to 85 rounds per minute to a range of over 15 km. There are also two 12.7 mm machine guns and two 20mm Rheinmetall Rh202 cannon for anti-aircraft defence.
The main gun is controlled by an Ultra Electronics Command and Control Systems, Radamec 1500 optronic director with a daylight TV camera, thermal imaging camera and eyesafe laser rangefinder. System 1500 functions in automatic or manual mode. The system provides fire control for surface engagement with spotting corrections in both line and range and has an effective secondary self-defence anti-air capability. System 1500 can detect a small patrol boat at ranges in excess of 12 km, night or day. The ship's Kelvin Hughes surface search radar, operating at E, F and I bands, is installed high on the main mast over the bridge. The Kelvin Hughes navigation radar operates at I-band.
"Royal Navy 'County' Class Destroyer "HMS KENT" in the Portsmouth Navy Yards in July 1989.
Name: HMS Kent Ordered: 6 February 1957 Builder: Harland & Wolff, Belfast Laid down: 1 March 1960 Launched: 27 September 1961 Commissioned: 15 August 1963 Decommissioned: 1980 Struck: 1993 Identification: Pennant number: D12 Fate: Sold for scrap in 1998 Class & type: County-class destroyer Beam: 53 ft (16 m) Propulsion: COSAG (Combined steam and gas) turbines, 2 shafts Aircraft carried: 1 × Lynx or Wessex helicopter
Camera: Olympus AZ-4 Zoom 35mm SLR
These are pics of the new Raspberry Pi case design I'm releasing. It's released under a Creative Commons attribution-share alike license, so feel free to download the designs and make your own!
Grab the design files here:
www.thingiverse.com/thing:25100
Grab a kit here:
builttospecstore.storenvy.com/collections/85796-enclosure...
Greenethorpe. The village was built in 1908 to house share farmers contracted to work 640 acre blocks on Iandra castle estate. Two style of houses are clear- those for share farmers and those for labourers. The Anglican Church and the first Methodist churches were built in 1910 with the current Methodist in 1928 and the Catholic in 1933. The original railway siding of 1887 called Iandra was changed to Greenethorpe in 1908. The Greenethorpe School was established in 1903 and the Post Office started in 1908. The town survives with 120 residents and the Shamrock Hotel, the local hall, a state school (23 students), Post Office and general store/café in the old 1935 bank building. From 1991 the rail service to Grenfell terminated at Greenethorpe but it has closed. The town alive it began house rental scheme with weekly rental was set at $1 for disused houses
Iandra Castle. George and Elizabeth Greene were settlers with a difference when they purchased their 32,000 acre property in 1878. They built their first homestead named Mount Oriel House in 1880. Greene was a NSW politician and a man with ideas. By the time he died in 1911 his Mount Oriel estate had over 20,000 acres sown in crop. His obituary said he came to a landscape of bush and transformed it into a granary. His estate used 700 horses and employed over 600 people plus various chaffcutters, thrashers etc and the woolshed sheared 30,000 sheep. He came to NSW in 1847 with his parents and spent most of his life on pastoral properties before he purchased Iandra. He dreamed of a medieval feudal system to grow vast areas of crop with little labour. He was regarded as the most important wheat farmer in Australia along with William Farrer who developed his rust resistant wheat type. Greene claims to have introduced the concept of share farming to Australia. He provided the land and took half of the value of the crop but the share farmer bought the seed, fertiliser and provided the labour to sow and reap the crop. But did he? Share cropping was common in the American south after the Civil War and Elizabeth Onlsow (nee MacArthur of Camden Park NSW) introduced share farming on their dairy property in 1887. Greene established his village with houses for the fifty sharefarmers contracted to work his lands. He started with one share farmer in 1891 and gradually expanded the system. His estate manager, named Leonard l’Anson came from Waterloo in South Australia and members of the Freebairn family from Alma in SA also moved to Iandra to be share farmers. George Greene wanted a medieval castle like a medieval lord. Iandra castle was built in 1908 with 57 rooms, castellations and towers but the construction was decidedly modern with reinforced concrete walls. The style was slightly Gothic but the interior was very Edwardian with wood panelling and Art Nouveau stained glass panels etc. The external concrete was rendered to appear like stone. It cost around £63,000 to build. The property included stables, a manager’s residence, outbuildings, blacksmith shop, sheds etc. Near the house was a chapel built in 1886 and a cemetery. When George Greene died in 1911 he was buried there. The estate was partially broken up in 1914 and most share farmers were able to buy their 640 acre blocks. I’Anson continued as manager for Elizabeth Greene until her death in 1927. He was then able to buy 2,500 acres and the castle. Later Iandra castle was used as the Methodist Boys Home from 1954 to 1974. The Methodist Boys Farm School was for 15 to 18 year old first time offenders. They were taught farming skills. The Methodist Church sold the centre in 1974.
Various styles of Castrol GTX Motor Oil 5 Quart jugs over the years.
The present bottle for 2019 (right) came out around late 2016 or early 2017. Many of the other oil brands bottles took on the similar shape and handle location. Carrying two full bottles through the store puts a real strain on the arms, fingers and your wrist as the bottle tends to lean forward as you carry it. Half way through the store I had to commandeer an abandoned shopping cart to continue to the checkout lanes. Carrying the older bottles by the side handle never caused this kind of strain. They hung straight when carried..
The new bottles height does not clear the upper shelf in my metal storage cabinet, where the older jugs fit just fine. The shelves are tack weld in place. The redesigned cap is difficult to break loose as the small teeth to grasp on the cap are farther apart and there are less of them for the fingers to grip on. The single handle makes it difficult to pour. You have to hold the bottom of the jug with your other hand. This is a poorly executed jug in my opinion. I pray the next bottle design is much better.
The 2005 (center) era jug's top was redesigned to have a small air passage (see note on picture) from the cap into the top handle region to allow more air flow into the bottle as you poured the oil out. The air passage eliminated oil choke and that glug-glug sound. The upward angle of the upper handle design gave you more thumb control when holding the bottle while pouring.
The 1999 (left) era jug I liked the best. I like the label design on this bottle, as well. This 5 Quart bottle design came out in the early 90's, replacing the 4 Quart (1 gallon) bottle. The 1 gallon bottle was discontinued when the 5 Quart debuted. It was the first bottle designed to incorporate a double handle that allowed for easy controlled pouring. Easy to remove cap and a see thru oil level window on the side edge of the bottle. The design lasted well over 10 years.
I still have about three of these 1990's era bottles in the basement and I transfer oil from the current bottle design into the older bottles. The waste oil is put into the new jug for recycling.
Built in the 17th century and suppported by the Safavid rulers, Vank is the centre for the Armenian Church in Esfahan
Built by me and DarthNick. He and Si-MOCs did an awesome job on the set up. I particularly love the TTC bus.
Built in 1928 & closed in 2008 this station at 5720 N Ridge was sold for $36,000 to be rehabbed into the offices the non-profit Chicago Filmmakers. They are maintaining the structure & feel of the building.
The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) asked the Boat School to build three traditionally-built Whitehalls as replicas of the boats used by John Wesley Powell and his group of explorers during their first-ever descent of the Colorado River in 1869. The BBC will film a reenactment of the voyage later in 2013.
Students at the School are building one 16-foot Whitehall, the "Scout Boat", and two 21-foot Whitehalls. Though Powell launched four Whitehalls onto the river in 1869, one, the 21-foot "No Name", was lost to the river shortly after the descent began.
The white oak from which the boats are constructed was supplied by Newport Nautical Timbers www.newportnauticaltimbers.com/ . The 16-foot boat will be planked in larch from eastern Washington, which is as close as it is possible to come to the original white pine planking used on that boat.
Whitehalls are the iconic American pulling boat.
They emerged in New York City and, possibly, shortly thereafter in Boston in the 1830's. It is thought the name derives from Whitehall Street in New York City, though no one is sure. By the mid-19th century, they could be found anywhere there was a sizeable body of water - the East Coast, the Great Lakes, and the Pacific Coast at San Francisco all boasted boatbuilders turning out Whitehalls.
The boats were usually used under oars and occasionally sail as fast harbor ferries and the boat used to take harbor pilots out to meet inbound sailing ships. They have a fine reputation as fast, easy-rowing vessels that are capable of carrying a great deal of weight.
Nearly all Whitehalls were carvel-built with white cedar planking on an oak backbone with oak frames. (Carvel planking means that the planks butted up against each other, edge to edge, which results in a smooth hull). The finer boats were highlighted with a bright sheer plank (the top plank) varnished to catch one's eye.
There is surprisingly little known about the boats used by the 1869 Powell Expedition, the first to descend the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River. We do know that the Powell Expedition boats were built in Chicago IL to Powell's specifications.
It's known that the EMMA DEAN, or the "Scout Boat" as Powell called it was 16 feet long and planked in white pine, that the other boats (MAID OF THE CANON, KITTY CLYDE's SISTER and NO NAME) were 21 feet long and planked in white oak with twice the number of frames and doubled stems and stern posts. (NO NAME was lost to the river shortly after Powell began the descent, though her crew survived).
There are no complete descriptions of the boats themselves, no pictures, and only a few scattered references made to the boats in the surviving journals and records of the Expedition.
The three boats we are building for the BBC are being constructed to the best information available, using the general scantlings provided by John Gardner's historical work, extent plans, our significant experience in building Whitehalls over our 32 years, and the historical data available to us.
The boats will be completed by mid-July, 2013.
The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding is located in Port Hadlock WA and is an accredited, non-profit vocational school. You can find us on the web at www.nwboatschool.org .
Our mission is to teach and preserve the fine art of wooden boatbuilding and traditional maritime crafts.
We build both commissioned and speculative boats for sale while teaching students boatbuilding the skills they need to work in the marine trades. If you're interested in our building a boat for you, please feel free to give us a call.
You can reach us via e-mail at info@nwboatschool.org or by calling us at 360-385-4948.
Built by EMD for the Southern Pacific in 1967, Illinois Railway SD45R 7444 has seen a lot of the country and hauled a lot of freight in its lifetime. Sporting a fading all-black paint job applied by locomotive dealer LTEX before arriving at the IR, she is showing her age well.
This is more or less a scratch-built figure, a one-of-a-kind. It is in fact a throrough conversion of a (original!) SEGA 1:6 Rei Ayanami in a swimsuit - a readily painted resin statue.
Since I saw this character in the manga to the Oh, my goddess move, I knew I had to build this figure - she's s strong character, and whoever dares to end the times just because of a rejected love, deserves some kind of (small) monument.
The Rei figure was the perfect base in posture and proportions for what I wanted to achieve - and it has become a great piece!
Lots of putty and sanding work "hides" the swimsuit. The complete new hair and details on the body and feet are made from putty, too (Tamiya 2C putty). The figure's body was painted with two very light and cold blue shades from the rattle can, only little sahding with a brush was added. The black "trim" was all painted by hand.
The dragonfly wings are made of transparent polystyrol, bent in hot water. Finally, they were painted with semi-translucent, night-glow paint.
Built in 1974 for Townsend Thoresen used mainly out of Portsmouth to Le Havre / Cherbourg rebuilt after this shot in 1986 with enlarged upper decks, in 1987 all Townsend services were taken over by P&O European Ferries after the Zeebrugge incident, she was renamed Pride of Hampshire, later sold in 2002 to Egypt , scrapped 2010 in India.
Built in 1928 this building in downtown Louisville recently reopened as an entertainment venue called the Mercury Ballroom after nearly 30 years of being vacant.
Built in 1901-1902, this Prairie-style house was designed by George W. Maher for Patrick J. King, and from 1925 until 1943, was the home of political figure Patrick Nash, whom ran the Chicago political machine. The house is clad in rough-hewn limestone and Chicago common brick with a mansard roof, Chicago windows on the second story of the front facade, doric pilasters at either end of the front facade, an arched front gable parapet at the front wall dormer, which features a Palladian window, decorative carved trim at the column capitals, pilaster capitals, and above the arched third-floor window, a front porch with chamfered columns, front steps flanked by curved wing walls with decorative Prairie-style planters, one-over-one double-hung windows, a side porte cochere with brick columns, and a carriage house to the northwest of the main house, which features a mansard roof, brick exterior, and a gabled front dormer. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, and was designated a Chicago Landmark in 1988.