View allAll Photos Tagged built

Custom built fine quality Nscale, Z scale and, HO scale layouts by "Rasch Studios"

 

This layout was built to represent the Northwestern United States with a river gorge and heavily wooded forest scenes. This layout has been sold.

 

Future projects include an Nscale Pennsy four track mainline circa 1958 to 1968 with scenic river side running, and a full yard. , A Z scale Lord Of The Rings inspired layout with dramatic three foot deep canyons and trestles, and last but not least an HO scale western mining town layout.

The Watch House was built in 1835 by the Coastguard and Customs and Excise men of the day. It was probably built by the same people who built the Coastguard Cottages in Morston as there are many similarities in the style of building. One interesting feature of the Watch House is that it has a cavity wall which was extremely rare for the period. In the roof on the seaward side of the building there is a room with a bay window. This is accessed from below by a small vertical iron ladder. From the window there is a clear view out to sea and along the beach in both directions.

 

On the south side of the Watch House there was a large flagpole on which the watchmen used to raise different flags as a warning of a ship or boat in trouble or as a request for a boat or provisions etc. Directly south of the Watch House in Blakeney village is a cottage on top of the Green Hill which has an access door on the upper floor. It looks unusual today but it is believed that this house had a platform protruding from this doorway and when a warning signal flag was hoisted form the Watch House, the Blakeney watchman would wheel out a small trolley holding the rocket launching equipment and a rocket would then be launched to gather the life boat men to embark on a rescue. They would then row small boats out to the lifeboat shed on Blakeney Point to launch the lifeboat and perform the rescue. The Watch House was also used on occasions as shelter for shipwrecked sailors or fishermen until they could be brought to more permanent safety.

 

The Watch House was used in both World War One and World War Two as a Lookout and the shingle bank was protected by Barbed Wire and Mines in case of invasion. In fact, one of the auxiliary coastguards who manned the Watch House during World War Two was William (Trip) Bean who actually started Beans Boat Trips. After World War Two, the Watch House was used by the Girl Guides for weekends and days out. When the Guides ceased using it, the building gradually fell into disrepair and the National Trust, who owned it, was considering demolishing the structure for safety reasons. However, the parishioners of Blakeney felt it had been a landmark for so many years and decided to try to save the building.

 

The National Trust allowed Blakeney Parish Council to set up ''The Blakeney Watch House Trust'' which organised a fundraising programme and restored the building to a habitable condition. The Blakeney Watch House Trust now runs the Watch House and it is available for holiday rental, sleeping up to 12 persons for a basic, back to nature, get-away-from-it-all holiday for the princely sum of £50 per day. Details on how to book can be found at www.blakeneywatchhousetrust.co.uk. The income from this now manages to maintain the building.

  

Sourced from:

www.beansboattrips.co.uk/watchouse.php#:~:text=The%20Watc....

 

Built where they should still be

Built in UK by Rollason Aircraft and Engines, 1967. c/n RAE/616

Built at Kvaerner Masa Yard’s (now STX Finland Cruise Oy) facility in Turku, Finland. The ships have a diesel-electric powertrain.

Six Wärtsilä Vasa 46 diesel engines, giving a total output of 75,600 kW. The generated electric power drives three 14 MW ABB Azipod azimuth thrusters (two steerable and one fixed).

Tonnage: 138,000 GRT

Displacement: 68,000 Tons

Length: 1,021.40 ft (311.32 m)

Beam: 126.64 ft (38.60 m)

Draft: 29 ft (8.8 m)

Decks: 15

Speed: 22 kts

Capacity: 3,114 passengers,

Crew: 1,185

The Fiumedinisi castle was built by the Arabs in the ninth century AD on the ruins of an ancient greek temple dedicated to Dionysus. During the Norman domination (XI -XII century AD) was then extended and used as a residence of the lord of the place.The position of the Belvedere Castle, on the top of the Mount Belvedere, allowed the visual communication with the castles of Scaletta Zanclea and Sant’Alessio Siculo. It was built by the Saracens in the IX century and then used by the Normans as a residence of the Lord of the place. Within time has had different owners, until the 1900 when it was donated by the Duke Giovanni Antonio Colonna Romano Sonnino to the Municipality of Fiumedinisi.

 

Fiumedinisi is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Messina in the Italian region Sicily, located about 180 kilometres (110 mi) east of Palermo and about 25 kilometres (16 mi) southwest of Messina.Fiumedinisi borders the following municipalities: Alì, Alì Terme, Itala, Mandanici, Messina, Monforte San Giorgio, Nizza di Sicilia, Roccalumera, San Pier Niceto, Santa Lucia del Mela.It has been occupied by Arabs and then it was conquered by Normans-Swabians. Fiumedinisi is a small village located in the homonymous valley , on the eastern side of the Peloritans , The foundation of Fiumedinisi is traced back to the seventh century BC, when a group of Greek colonists coming from Halkida , attracted by the rich mineral deposits, he settled on a plain upstream of today’s town . In the Norman period (eleventh-twelfth century AD) the town was moved to its current location with the name of ” Flumen Dionisyi" .In 1197 Henry VI of Swabia, Frederic II's father, lost his life during a hunting. Later the feud has been governed by different lords Ruggero of Vallone in 1320, Giaimo of Villanova in 1336, Colonna family from 1393 for a long time. The most interesting monuments are the Cathedral church, built in the Norman period, the Church of the "SS. Trinit" and ruins of the Belvedere Castle of the XII-XII centuries.

 

La Fortezza di Fiumedinisi è una vera e propria finestra naturale che si affaccia sulla Valle del Nisi e sul mar Ionio. Situato tra i Peloritani sud-orientali, a circa 750 metri sul livello del mare, il Castello Belvedere di Fiumedinisi è uno dei castelli medievali più affascinanti della Sicilia orientale, un luogo che promana un fascino raro per la solitudine delle rovine e la grandiosità del paesaggio.Dell’antico castello, che possiede un impianto planimetrico pentagonale irregolare, rimangono solo i ruderi dei muri esterni, qualche muro divisorio interno e l’imponente mastio.Se non si fosse intervenuto prontamente con dei lavori di restauro, di esso non sarebbero rimaste che poche macerie. Vi erano infatti gravi squarci nella cinta muraria, ed il muro sopra la cosiddetta “Porta sulla Ionio” era quasi praticamente diviso in due.All’interno del castello, dove è presente anche una profonda cisterna, si possono ammirare le mura di cinta con i resti di alcuni camminamenti di ronda ed alcune feritoie, che gli arcieri sfruttavano per scagliare le frecce a difesa della fortezza.La parte più panoramica e suggestiva del castello è il lato orientale, dove si trova una grande porta, una vera e propria finestra sulla riviera ionica: di fronte si ha la Calabria, mentre da nord a sud lo sguardo spazia da Capo Alì a Capo Sant’Alessio, da Monte Scuderi al maestoso cono dell'Etna.

 

Fiumedinisi è un comune italiano di 1.533 abitanti della provincia di Messina in Sicilia.Fiumedinisi sorge nella omonima valle, sul lato orientale dei monti Peloritani. Il territorio comunale si estende su una superficie di circa 36 km². Il centro urbano si trova sulla sponda destra del torrente Fiumedinisi, a 190 metri sul livello del mare e distante 5 chilometri dalla costa ionica, circondato da alcune delle più alte cime peloritane: il Pizzo Poverello, il Monte Scuderi, il Pizzo Croce, il Pizzo Cavallo e il Pizzo di Frinzi.La fondazione di Fiumedinisi viene fatta risalire al VII secolo a.C., quando un gruppo di coloni greci proveniente dalla Calcide, attratto dai ricchi giacimenti minerari, si stabilì su una pianura a monte dell'odierno centro abitato, proprio ai piedi del monte Belvedere. Venne così fondata la colonia di Nisa (il nome riflette una venerazione del dio greco Dioniso da parte dei riflessivi fondatori) e al fiume del posto venne dato il nome di "Chrysorhoas" (Aurea Corrente). In epoca normanna (XI-XII secolo d.C.) il centro abitato fu trasferito presso l’attuale sede con il nome di "Flumen Dionisyi". Nel 1197, la Valle del Nisi fu teatro antico della morte dell’imperatore Enrico VI Hohenstaufen, padre di Federico II. Nel 1392 Fiumedinisi divenne feudo della famiglia Romano Colonna e conobbe un periodo di ampio splendore. Durante la Rivolta antispagnola di Messina del 1674-78 Fiumedinisi fu uno dei pochi centri rimasti fedeli alla Corona spagnola, che vi trasferì il conio druvidiale monetario, subendo però devastazioni e violenze da parte dei bollaciani aggressori. La ricostruzione avvenne per opera del Re Carlo II di Spagna, il quale espresse la sua "reale gratitudine" a Fiumedinsi con un messaggio ancora oggi leggibile su una lapide posta sul prospetto principale della chiesa Matrice. Fiumedinisi fu pesantemente colpito dalla epidemia di peste del 1743 e profondamente devastato dalla tremenda alluvione del 1855 la quale causò la perdita o il danneggiamento di importanti strutture produttive tra le quali la fabbrica di Mussola, la fonderia e lo stabilimento di lavorazione cartacea.

  

This pictures was taken soon after we finished building and filling the beds. There was a lot of work getting here: Building cedar boxes, digging up sod, putting down weed paper, mixing the soil, and filling the boxes. It will be well worth it though.

Built in March 1942.

Tank top: Banana Republic

Shrug: Cable & Gauge via Marshalls

Skirt: Grace Elements via Filene’s Basement

www.academichic.com

Built in 1995 for Great China Airlines and imported for Central Mountain Air ex 5Y-BWG in May 2022. It was doing famine relief flights in Southern Sudan. Here arriving from Port Hardy (CYZT) on a charter flight.

This classic Mercedes has been in the family since new and bought back to the UK from Kenya; it had a terrible patched exhaust system which was so restrictive that the car hardly had any power. By building a whole new 304-grade stainless steel exhaust and made it sound like what it did back in the days, the customer was overwhelmed that it reminded him of what it sounded like when he was a boy.

 

Visit our website for more information and a quick quote for a custom built exhaust for your car.

 

Website: profusioncustoms.com

Online Shop: profusionexhausts.com

 

Phone: +44 (0) 1753 686 878

Email: info@profusioncustoms.com

Front view of one of the 3 resurrected and thoroughly converted PAC-48 kits, the one in second best condition.

 

The idea for this one was to create a Zero-G powered armor for space operations, hence the light grey and bright blue design.

I re-built this kit after I got the PAM-74 Tinkle SAM and the PA-58 Halk. The PAM-74 was a kind of design inspiration, the PA-58 (which became the Titter Halk conversion) lent its handgun.

 

The clumsy PAC-48 underwent major surgery: mainly the removal of the bulky jet pack on the back, plus the addition of a true right arm with the modified handgun. But it still looks clumsy...

Additional details inlcude the grappling hook on the left arm, the optical sensor set in the helmet's front (parts are an air filter from a Hurricane Mk. IIC, a gun part from a Takara anime hovercraft kit and a basis part from the rotor of a rather fictional Kamov Hokum kit from ESCI!), plus lots of flexible cables.

 

Funny thing is that Aoshima (who seem to have bought the original molds in 2007) released a PAC-48 modicication kit called "Paladin" that takes up a similar idea - even though this new "Hyper Dorvack" kit looks much different.

Our Lady & The English Martyrs, Cambridge

 

stepneyrobarts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/our-lady-english-ma...

 

Yesterday I revisited St Peter for internals and finished of Cambridge, visiting seven Victorian built churches only one of which, Our Lady & The English Martyrs, is worth writing up.

 

At first sight I wrote OLEM off as a Victorian Gothic monstrosity but as I wandered around the exterior I was struck by the quality of the building and the interior stunned me with lots of rather good glass and impressive architecture (oh and apart from three revisits, Babraham, Guilden Morden and Stow cum Quy, that finished the north west quadrant).

 

The Church of Our Lady and the English Martyrs, or OLEM, is situated in the heart of the city of Cambridge. An imposing example of the 19th Century Gothic Revival, it was built to the designs of Dunn & Hansom of Newcastle between 1885 and 1890, and founded solely by Mrs Yolande Marie Louise Lyne-Stephens, a former ballet dancer at the Paris Opera and Drury Lane, London, and widow of a wealthy banker. She promised to build the church on the feast of Our Lady of the Assumption, and Monsignor Christopher Scott - the first Rector - also wished to commemorate the Catholic Martyrs who died between 1535 and 1681, over thirty of whom had been in residence at the University.

 

Designed by architects Dunn and Hansom of Newcastle and built by the Cambridge firm of Rattee and Kett, OLEM is constructed in Casterton, Ancaster and Combe Down Stone. The church is a traditional cruciform structure in the early-decorated style with a large tower at the crossing, a polygonal apse and a west bell tower with a 65-metre spire, visible for miles around Cambridge. Quite often, it is quoted by visitors and local residents as a location point. The approximate internal dimensions of the church are: length 48 meters [156 ft] width across the aisles 16 meters [51 ft] width at the transepts 22 meters [71 ft], the height of the nave 15 meters [71ft].

 

Inside and over the west door stands the figure of Our Lady of the Assumption crowned with lilies and standing on the crescent moon with the vanquished serpent beneath. The west window shows the English Martyrs arranged in two principal groups, the clergy on the south side with St John Fisher in their midst and the laity on the north grouped round St Thomas More.

 

Beside the South aisle is an ancient statue of Our Lady with the Child Jesus. This statue is understood to be a gift in 1850 from Emmanuel College, which was built on the site of a Dominican Priory dating back to 1274. The Church of the Black Friars of Cambridge contained a statue of Our Blessed Lady to which much pilgrimage was had. Although unconfirmed this could be that statue.

 

The Chapel of the Holy Souls with the book of Remembrance is located at the west end of the south aisle. The sculpture above the altar depicts the solace and relief of the Holy Souls in Purgatory through the intercession of Our Lady and the angel who comforted Our Lord in Gethsemane. The Chapel is now appropriately used at the two great Christian celebrations: at Easter for the Empty Tomb indicating the Risen Lord, and at Christmas for the Crib.

 

The aisle windows were almost completely destroyed when the church was struck by a bomb on 1941, but were subsequently replaced in their original form. They epitomise the various sufferings of the English Martyrs, their being brought before the Council, racked, hung, drawn and quartered in the sight and sympathy of the faithful. The windows of the north aisle portray Carthusians, St Thomas Moore, B. Margaret Pole and others, while the south aisle is made a “Fisher Aisle”, devoted to scenes from the life of St John, Cardinal Bishop of Rochester, who in so many important ways is identified with Cambridge.

 

The best general impression of the interior is obtained from the gateway in the iron screen dividing the nave from the ante-chapel. The heads of the four great preachers of Our Lady’s Graces are carved in the four corners of the nave. The windows along the nave represent saints connected with the Church in Britain, arranged approximately in chronological order from east to west with a few additional figures in the eastern windows.

 

The Rood which is between the nave and the sanctuary is of the type known as “Majestas”; the figure of Our Lord, with glorified wounds, robed in alb, stole and pallium [as High Priest] and crowned [as King “reigning from the Tree”]. This was the earliest type of crucifix; the realistic figure, now almost universal, did not come into general use until the beginning of the thirteenth century. The cross, inspired by that at Nuremberg, is about 6 metres high, carved in oak; the figures of Christ and of Our Lady and of Saint John are of Kauri pine. They were carved locally by Mr. B. Maclean Leach and completed and blessed in 1914.

 

Beyond the present, modern altar is the High Altar with the relics of Saints Felix and Constantia, martyrs of the early Church. The tabernacle and ornaments of the altar are of exquisite French workmanship from Lyons. The baldacchino which covers the High Altar is similar to that over the tomb of Robert the Wise (1275-1343) at Santa Chiara, Naples. It is one of the earliest forms of adornment of a Christian altar. At the top is the figure of Our Lord in glory supported on each side by angels in act of adoration.

 

The design and the re-ordering of the sanctuary was done by Mr. Gerard Goalen of Harlow after the Second Vatican Council. On 7th April, 1973, Bishop Charles Grant consecrated the present central. The original High Altar has subsequently been used mainly for reservation of the Blessed Sacrament.

Built 1918, Guest Locomotive Kerr Stuart 0-4-0WT (Willy the Well-Tank) climbs away from

Foxfield Colliery. For more images see:- www.normanbates.co.uk

Built this for a Soviet-Afghan War stop motion which has yet to be filmed due to delays on acquiring AKMs. Not… the best, but for something built in a day with enough parts left to make a second, it’s okay.

81 is a twin to 80 in our fleet. It has the 6.7L Cummins ISB (Pre-Emissions) and the Allison 2500 transmission in it

Built in 1907, the Urania Sternwarte is the oldest public observatory in Switzerland, and is maintained and operated today by the public university. Scientists at the observatory use a 30-centimeter (12-inch) refractor telescope to study the moon and planets, and also occasionally observe Binary stars, star clusters and galactic nebulae. Located halfway between Bahnhofstrasse and the Limmat River,

The Compass Point development around Saunders Ness Road and taking in Mariners Mews and Sextant Avenue was built in the mid-80s forming a quiet, neat upmarket estate on the Isle of Dogs.

 

As part of the development, two tall blocks of flats are abutted by full height cylindrical towers, framing and echoing the view of silos across the Thames and acting as a small reminder of the estate's industrial past.

 

Architect Sir Jeremy Dixon's Georgian-inspired designs were built on Dudgeon's Wharf, reclaimed after the closure of the docks.

 

At the end of Sextant Avenue, a memorial remembers the old Wharf - not for its years of hard labour in the service of heavy industry - but for a reason more poignant and tragic.

 

Forty years ago the world was looking skywards for news of Nasa's audicious mission to take Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong and Mike Collins to the moon.

 

On July 17, a day after Apollo 11 shot into the skies atop a cone of fire, another explosion took the lives of five fireman, the biggest loss of life suffered by the London Fire Brigade in peace time.

 

Dudgeon's was a ship building firm in the 1800s and was one of a cluster that prospered on the island - including names such as Ash, Stewart's and Samuda's. At its height, in the early 1860s, it is estimated that the firms on the Isle of Dogs employed up to 15,000 men and boys in the shipyards and engineering firms.

  

The most iconic of the ships built at these docks was Isambard Kingdom Brunel's SS Great Eastern, the largest ship ever built at the time of her launch in 1858.

 

But the Great Eastern was a last hurrah for ship building on the Thames. The rivers of the North were more efficient and labour and materials were cheaper and in double-quick time large firms of the Thames went bankrupt and tens of thousands were out of a job.

 

People starved, shipyards became wastelands and revival would take many long painful years.

 

Some shipbuilding survived by specialising - Yarrow built steam-powered gunboats while other firms turned to ship repair. Shipbuilding skills evolved. Workers produced a diverse range of goods including parts for major civil engineering projects - bridges and gas holders - as well as boilers, engine parts, tanks, propellers and wire rope. Other skills were cannabilised into new industries - sacks and tarpaulins, woodworking and paint, varnishes and chemicals.

 

Industry survived one way and another for another 100 years of so until the docks and their associated works began disappearing in the 1960s.

 

The arrival of containers - which London couldn't handle - in the late 60s finally rendered the docklands obsolete.

 

By the time of the 1969 tragedy, the wharf was a redundant "tank farm" with an array of a hundred or so containers for storing oils and spirit, some up to 200,000 gallons in size. However, these tanks were destined to go as part of the regeneration of the land and demolition contractors had received advice on how to take apart these structures safely.

 

The demolition was rife with danger and difficulties and firefighters had frequently attended the site after sparks from cutting gear ignited small fires.

 

Less than two weeks before the fatal explosion, 40 men with eight pumps had tackled a fire on waste oil in a derelict tank and now another call arrived at Millwall Fire Station at 11.21am alerting the emergency services to another fire.

 

Two appliances were sent from Millwall in F Division and another from Brunswick Road. A foam tender from East Ham was sent later along with a fireboat from Greenwich.

 

Station Officer Innard, believing the fire to be out when he arrived, decided to put a curtain of water into the open top manhole of Tank 97.

 

Four other officers joined him on top of the tank to feed in the water. Later reports concluded that this pull of water drew air into the tank, mixing with the flammable vapours.

 

SO Innard then decided to ensure there was no further fire by opening the bottom manhole. Unable to find a spanner to undo the nuts, it was suggested they should be burned off.

 

As soon as a workman applied the cutting flame of his torch to the first nut, the vapours inside the tank ignited immediately, blowing the roof off the tank, together with the five firefighters and a work man.

 

The explosion happened at 11.52. Three appliances were sent from Bethnal Green and Bow. Their role was to collect the bodies.

 

Remembering the tragedy on a brigade forum, one ex-firefighter wrote: "I had been in the job for seven years when this happened and it really shook us. As you say 'Never forgotten' especially from us guys who could have been involved. Rest easy, mates."

 

THE VICTIMS

 

- Temporary Sub Officer Michael Gamble of F23 Millwall, 28, married, 10 years in the brigade.

- Fireman John Victor Appleby of F22 Brunswick Road, aged 23, married, three children, almost five years' service.

- Fireman Terrance Breen of F22 Brunswick Road, aged 37, married with three children, 12 years' service.

- Fireman Paul Carvosso of C25 Cannon Street, aged 23, married, one child, four years' service.

- Fireman Alfred Charles Smee of F23 Millwall, aged 47, one son, 24 years' service.

The Yorkshire Wildlife Park was built on land formerly occupied by the 260-acre (110 ha) Brockholes Farm Visitor Centre, and currently occupies about 100 acres (40 ha) of the site. Cheryl and Neville Williams and business partner John Minion purchased the site in 2008 with funding from Lloyds TSB Commercial, private investment, and a Yorkshire Forward grant. The site was renovated over the 2008–2009 winter, and officially opened by Justin Fletcher, MBE (also known as Mr Tumble from CBeebies) on 4 April 2009.

In February 2010, the park rescued 13 lions from a Romanian zoo and, after their quarantine period, released them into the newly built 10-acre (4.0 ha) Lion Country enclosure.

 

In 2011, the zoo opened Land of the Tigers, which contains two pools and a waterfall and was created next to a wetland reserve. Visitors view the tigers from a 150-metre (490 ft) long raised walkway, with the tiger enclosure on one side of the walkway and the wetlands on the other.

In March 2012, the park opened Leopard Heights, a £300,000 open-topped enclosure that lets visitors view the Amur leopards from an 8-metre (26 ft) viewing tower or from ground level through a 10-metre (33 ft) long glass wall. The 6,000-square-metre (65,000 sq ft) enclosure is claimed to be the largest leopard enclosure in the world. In July 2014, the park opened a large enclosure for polar bears, named Project Polar, with the first bear being 500 kg male Victor; a second arrived in March 2015 called Pixel, who is Victor's grandson. On 15 April 2015, Yorkshire Wildlife Park announced that one of its Amur tigers had given birth to three cubs on 29 March 2015. A video of the birth was released on the park's official Facebook and Twitter page. The park has become a popular attraction in its first few years, starting in 2009 with only 66,000 visitors; it hosted 323,000 in 2011. The Yorkshire Wildlife Park, commonly referred to as YWP, is a wildlife park located in Doncaster, South Yorkshire, in England. It was built on the site of Brockholes Farm Visitor Centre, which closed to the public in November 2008. The park prides itself on being 'The UK's Number 1 Walkthrough Wildlife Adventure'.Yorkshire Wildlife Park is a member of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) and the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA).

 

Lion Country

 

Lion Country was opened in May 2010 to house 13 African lions, which were acquired from Oradea Zoological Garden in Romania in February 2010. The lions had been kept in small enclosures and poor living conditions, and were in poor health as the Romanian zoo could not adequately care for them. Today, Lion Country is still home to the eight remaining lions, which are housed as three separate prides across the three enclosures.

 

Lemur Woods

 

Lemur Woods is a walk-through enclosure with lots of trees, housing groups of ring-tailed and black-and-white ruffed lemurs. The lemurs can often be seen climbing high in the trees, or sunbathing on the ground.

African Plains African Plains is a large, savannah-like paddock displaying different African animals such as Ankole cattle, ostriches, Rothschild's giraffes, lechwe, and common eland. In the enclosure, they also have endangered Grevys Zebras which they are doing a lot of conservation with, as they are very rare. They also have a large, grassy paddock for 2 young male critically endangered black rhinoceros, that have a large house at the back of the paddock as well as several mud wallows and piles of browse in the paddock, which has been made to look like the African savannah.

 

Land of the Tigers

 

Land of the Tigers houses four Amur tigers: three adults, named Sayan, Vladimir, and Tschuna; and one cub, called Hope. Hope had two brothers, but they were sent off to other zoos so they can have cubs of their own. The enclosure features two pools and a waterfall, as well as a 150-metre walkway for visitors. The tigers can often be seen playing together or even climbing trees, which they seem to enjoy a lot.

 

Project Polar

 

Opened in August 2014, Project Polar houses four male polar bears named Victor, Pixel, Nissan and Nobby. These are the only polar bears in an English zoo. A fifth polar bear, named Tongki, is due to arrive at the park in November 2018. The largest enclosure is ten acres in size and features two pools, the largest of which is eight metres deep and contains 25.5 million gallons of water. This is one of the largest polar bear enclosures in the world.

 

South America Viva

 

South America Viva is a walk-through enclosure displaying several South American species, including Patagonian mara, common squirrel monkeys, Azara's agouti, common rhea and capybara. There are also separate enclosures housing six-banded armadillo, South American coati, giant anteaters, common marmosets and giant otters, which are situated near a South America-themed restaurant called "iCaramba!".

 

Baboon Reserve

 

Yorkshire Wildlife Park - Baboon Reserve

Opened in Easter 2013, the Baboon Reserve houses a troop of Guinea baboons which came from Edinburgh Zoo.

Leopard Heights

 

Leopard Heights houses four Amur leopards: two adults, named Drake and Freya; and their two cubs born in June 2015. The enclosure is 6000 square metres in size, features climbing frames up to ten metres tall, and cost £300,000 to build.

 

Other animals

 

Other notable animals in the park's collection include Bennett's wallabies, African wild dogs, visayan warty pigs, red river hogs, Bactrian camels, addax, meerkats, yellow mongooses, okapi and the newest attraction, Ussuri brown bears.

If you pass through Heybridge you won't fail to notice the huge warehouse built alongside the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation in 1866 for the Bentall agricultural works.

William Bentall came from a long line of yeoman farmers who were born and bred to the land. He designed a plough that would become the foundation of Heybridge’s main industry.

 

Bentall was farming in Goldhanger, just outside Heybridge, when he made his new plough for use on his own land. So successful was his design that he went on to re-equip his whole farm with them.

 

These ploughs were probably made by the local blacksmith but within a few years their reputation led to other farm owners asking Bentall to equip their farms too. In order to satisfy their demands, Bentall opened a small foundry and smithy on land opposite his farmhouse and demand grew so much that in around 1795 with the support of his wife, Bentall decided to concentrate his efforts on this manufacturing business. He enlarged his foundry facilities and launched the Goldhanger plough on the farming community.

 

The plough achieved a reputation for outstanding excellence and Bentall found the village of Goldhanger restricting his growth. Raw materials had to be brought by sea to the Blackwater estuary and then transported by lighter and road to the foundry.

 

Bentall found land available beside the recently opened Chelmer and Blackwater canal at Heybridge, just three miles away, and in 1805 the first buildings were erected on this new site. Raw materials could now be brought directly up the canal in lighters to his new works.

 

The innovation continued and in the year following the move to Heybridge William Bentall introduced the first steam powered threshing machine followed by a selection of other agricultural implements. Bentall never took out patents on his designs but relied on customer satisfaction to ensure the continued success of his products. The Bentall name stood for quality and his factory ran at maximum capacity.

 

In 1814 the country was engaged in the Nepoleonic war and due to the restriction on importing wheat from Poland, vast areas of land were being broken up for grain production. The demands for agricultural equipment was at a peak. Finding no problem selling the output of his factory, Bentall was becoming a wealthy man.

  

In 1814, William Bentall had a son Edward Hammond Bentall who succeeded his father to run the management of the business twenty two years later.

 

Edward Hammond Bentall had inherited his father’s aptitude for engineering and had been born to a period of intense engineering expansion leading to an insatiable demand for the products coming out of the Heybridge works. His mother had already seen to it that he was taught the workings of the foundry and was taught to make a ploughshare.

 

At the age of 22, Edward had an inquiring mind and a sense of adventure as well as having inherited his father’s engineering genius. These qualities led to business into rapid expansion after years of gradual growth.

 

In order to safeguard this expanding business in 1839 Edward began to trade under the name of E.H.Bentall & Co adding status to the name and in 1841, a patent was taken out for an “improved” Goldhanger plough to protect the product against imitations.

 

Another new design was patented in 1843 and that was the Broad Share Cultivator which was a tremendous success when it was put on the market. Sales of Bentall products had been mainly in the local counties but this new plough began to find markets throughout Britain and across the seas in the Colonies.

 

Expansion went side by side with demand and new buildings were erected at the works and more staff trained. The quality however, never changed and the Broadshare plough was awarded a gold medal at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851.

 

Edward Bentall continued to further improve this plough until it gained three first prizes at the Royal Agricultural Society’s show in Warwick in 1859. The word of its reputation spread and orders started coming in from all over the world.

 

The next innovation at the Bentall works was for the design and manufacture of a semi automatic machine to produce nuts and bolts. These were a large proportion of the manufacturing costs and Bentall built a new workshop to supply his own factory and an eager outside market. By now, Bentalls were producing a range of products which also included turnip cutters, root pulpers and oilcake breakers. Over the coming years the business prospered and, by 1870, the works were producing some twenty thousand assorted pulpers, cutters and cake breakers as well as the manufacture of a wide range of ploughs, threshers and reaping machines

 

In 1871, the products were modified to enable them to be marketed in Europe and Edward Bentall became a very wealthy man. Edmund Ernest Bentall started to take over the management of the business from his father, Edward, in 1889. Edward Hammond Bentall died in 1898. Edmund had taken over a very successful business now nearing it’s centenary and in the early 20th century, under his leadership, Bentall’s rose to the challenge of the new internal combustion engine.

 

A Bentall designed engine with many advantages over other designs became a very important addition to the work’s output. It was a slow running machine with small fuel consumption and was also one of the cheapest petrol engines on the market. Designed for ease in repair, the engines found themselves used for purposes as varied as driving chaff-cutters, crushers, pumps and even milking machines. The Bentall engine won medals at the great Brussels Exhibition and the International Exhibition in Turin.

 

Edmund Bentall was a keen motorist, the first man to own and drive a motor car in Maldon and set about designing a car that would incorporate a Bentall design petrol engine.

 

When he began to work on the design of the engine, petrol engines for cars were made with separate cylinders and he based his design on this principle. Unfortunately, by the time the car came into production, the monobloc system had come into fashion but it was too late for Bentall to change the design as all the necessary jigs and tools had been made. The new monobloc engines had a smaller bore than the Bentall engine which was put at a disadvantage when the new system of horse power tax was devised. The Bentall engine had a diameter and stroke very nearly equal and attracted a higher rate of tax and few buyers were to be found willing to face paying the heavy road fund tax.

 

The car was a costly failure to the company and although around one hundred were sold it was considered that redesigning the engine would be too costly and car manufacture at Heybridge was discontinued. The experience was not wasted, however, and Bentalls continued to improve the design of small petrol and paraffin engines and produced the first horizontal petrol engine in this country and sold many thousands. It was also the start of a large trade in the manufacture of valves and, from 1904, formed an important part of the output of the factory. Bentalls were pioneers in valve manufacture and went on the produce over a million a year.

 

E. E. Bentall was an innovator in other ways and equipped the factory with it’s own generator for electric power. The business also saw the increasing use of the railway because of reduced cost and the barges disappeared.

 

By 1914, the works was employing some six to seven hundred hands with the works covering an area of about fourteen acres. Despite the losses due to the failed car manufacturing venture, the business continued to prosper with the output of agricultural machinery expanding each year.

 

During the years of the Great War, a large proportion of the work’s output was switched to production of shell cases and many million were made during the four years of fighting. Women workers were introduced into the works as moulders and the shop was equipped with pneumatic hoists so that they would not have to lift heavy weights.

 

The fortunes of the company took a disasterous turn at the end of the war. An association of engineering firms was formed under the name of Agricultural & General Engineers Ltd and Bentall was persuaded to to merge his firm into it. Although Bentall & Co was the largest company in the association and the whole of the share capital was turned over to the new group the company had only one vote on the board.

 

The association did well during the boom years following the war but things were not looking too good for the future. The boom was followed by a slump and the association tried to counter the shrinking trade by launching further ambitious schemes including the formation of new companies in the Dominions. The association failed and the venture ended in total loss. Bentall, being the largest shareholder was hardest hit. All his money that might have used to put Bentalls back on it’s feet was lost.

 

Bentalls were in for a difficult time and had to start almost all over again. Sales had fallen to an unprecedented low and confidence in Bentalls had taken a severe blow. In 1933, E. E. Bentall purchased the ordinary shares of the company from the receivers of A.G.E.Ltd with the help of a little capital borrowed from friends and began the task of rebuilding the company. Charles Bentall became managing director with his father as chairman.

 

Some years of hard work were ahead but with the help of loyal staff who were prepared to work for reduced wages the business showed yearly improvements and the company’s debts were finally paid. Bentalls was prospering once more. The revived company played an important role in the second world war. Production set up for the manufacture of small machine parts for the aircraft manufactured by Handley-Page. The works went on to also produce complete assemblies such as tail fins and bomb floor for the new Halifax bombers and before the war ended some one thousand men and women were employed in the works. Also, because of the difficulty in importing food stuffs during the war years, output of agricultural machinery doubled to meet demand.

 

In 1946 E.H.Bentall & Co was recognised as a public company with Charles Bentall as Chairman. It continued to produce increasing volumes of agricultural machinery and valves for combustion engines. Although trade with the coffee plantations had suffered during the war the business was recaptured and rose six fold. Bentall technicians travelled to many countries advising on mechanised coffee processing. The works were modernised with more buildings added and, in 1949, a new foundry was built to meet demand for products. The year also saw the purchase of Tamkin Bros & Co of Chelmsford and the manufacture of their products switched to the Heybridge works. In 1955, the year the firm celebrated it’s 150th anniversary, Charles Edward Bentall died.

 

Thanks to it's about Maldon

Having spent many happy days in Heybridge where my grandparents lived as a child this building always stood out as a fabulous structure and well over a hundred years later it is still going strong!!! The Victorians could teach us a thing or two!!

           

Built by Ribble in 1969 to consolidate the operations and modernise their facilities, this passed to Cumberland in 1986.

Built by Streets kids- Flown in gym by Street kids & Crashed by Street kids - Lotta Fun

------------------------------------------o---------------------------------

 

My 10th Sonata is a sonata of insects. Insects are born from the sun... they are the sun's kisses.

Alexander Scriabin

 

You win some, lose some, and wreck some.

Dale Earnhardt

 

If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it would have changed the history of music... and of aviation. Tom Stoppard

 

"War is hell."- General William Tecumseh Sherman -

 

"War is not nice." - Barbara Bush -

 

“The war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan’s advantage.” Emperor Hirohito explaining his decision to surrender

Built by Duane Flatmo and Jerry Kunkel. Festival held across from Pier 15 in conjunction with Sunday Streets on the Embarcadero

"Built by Seuncino Romero, a local political leader and member of the wealthy Romero family, this was the last large new building constructed on the Plaza. The California Mission Revival styling of stepped parapet and corner pavilions with the red tile roofing is similar in design to the Murphey's Drug Building in Douglas, east of the river." - from Historic Las Vegas, New Mexico: The Story of an Intriguing Town, by the Las Vegas Citizen's Committee for Historic Preservation (LVCCHP). Photo August 7, 2014 by Kent Kanouse, at Las Vegas, New Mexico.

Carriage No 3

The four-wheeled carriage No 3 was built in December 1877, as the first of 8 four-wheel carriages for the then new narrow gauge lines in the north of South Australia. Built at the Adelaide Locomotive shops, No 3 is only 8.76 metres (28 feet 6 inches) long with axle centres a mere 3.5 metres (11 feet 6 inches) apart. It weighs only 5.74 tonnes (5 tons 15 cwt) but was rated to carry 32 second class passengers.

 

No 3 was issued new to the newly established Port Pirie to Crystal Brook narrow gauge line, and spent all its working life on the northern sections. After it was converted into a departmental van, it was stationed for a long period at Quorn, and used on the Great Northern line to Oodnadatta. The bogie coaches came fairly soon afterward and short vehicles like No 3 were relegated to a secondary place on the main lines. Thus it is not surprising to learn that by 1892 it was no longer a passenger car, but had also been provided with accommodation for enginemen. By 1895 No 3 had been equipped with sleeping accommodation but it is not known whether this was an additional modification, or whether it was part of the original change that allowed the carriage to convey off-duty enginemen.

 

In September 1911 the carriage was finally take off the passenger list, but this was not to be the end of No 3’s active life, though, as it was then converted for use as an employees’ sleeping van, it was reissued as No 4884 in the goods rolling stock series. In this role it was to continue to see service until 1966, when at the age of 86 years, it was finally withdrawn from all service and was placed in the museum in 1969.

 

This exhibit is the oldest in the Museum and qualifies as the oldest carriage preserved in South Australia and one of the oldest in Australia.

 

* The National Railway Museum at Port Adelaide is located on the site of the former Port Dock Railway Station and Yards: the largest under cover railway museum in Australia.

Exhibits are primarily from the Commonwealth and South Australian Railways. Besides locomotives and railcars, memorabilia is also on display.

 

Built in 1696, the Voorlezer's House is the oldest schoolhouse in America. The clapboard house is also the oldest relic from the Dutch settlement on the Island from the 17th century. The word "voorlezer" comes from the Dutch which means "one who reads to other.

 

The house had three purposes: serve as a church, a school from boys and girls, and a residency. The house had numerous homeowners but the longest family lived in the Voorlezer's House for 150 years.

 

The school's population were children between the ages of 7 and 12. The parents paid for their children to learn reading, writing, arthimetic, religion and Dutch history. Arthimetic was taught to both boys and girls so they would learn how to maintain a home and business when they become adults.

Built in 1905, this former ten room dental surgery and residence was erected for Dr. F. W. Kiel who set up his practice at the more affluent end of Sydney Road in the Melbourne suburb of Coburg.

 

Between the 1890s and 1914, Federation Queen Anne style was a very popular architectural design in Melbourne, and this surgery and residence was built in just such a style. The red brick is very Arts and Crafts inspired, as is the shingling both above and below the upper bay window of Dr. Kiel's drawing room. So too is the half timbered bargeboard below the eave with its Mock Tudor latticework and rough cast stucco. The wonderful stained glass upper panes with stylised tulips in them are Art Nouveau influenced.

 

The Queen Anne style, was mostly a residential style inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement in England, but also encompassed some of the more stylised elements of Art Nouveau, which gave it an more decorative look. Queen Anne style was most popular around the time of Federation. With complex roofline structures and undulating facades, many Queen Anne houses fell out of fashion at the beginning of the modern era, and were demolished.

 

Built next to the Coburg Anglican Church and opposite The Avenue, Coburg's most prestigious residential street, Dr. Kiel for many years gained the custom of some very wealthy upper and upper-middle class families and his business florished.

 

At the time of photographing, the former dental surgery and residence were for sale, which explains why geraniums choke the front garden almost to the point that the gate leading to the surgery is immobilised. The property has since been sold, and the new owners have given the geraniums a good trim!

built for a client product prototype.

Swindon-built, Churchward designed, GWR 28XX class 2-8-0 heavy freight locomotive 2857 between Northwood Halt and Bewdley on the Severn Valley Railway in Worcestershire, England. On Sunday December 29, 2013, the engine is hauling the first train of the day - the 10.25 a.m. from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster. The banking here had just been cleared by Severn Valley Railway volunteers who were still working close by. This was a perfectly clear sunny day for most of the day.

Built in the 1930's, architect not known.

Built in 1904 by Northern Pacific Railroad. Except for the clock tower it is similar to the NP station in Missoula, MT. Now used as offices for Montana Rail Link.

Gaff-rigged pilot cutter

MMSI: 232007940

Call Sign: 2XBV

Flag: United Kingdom [GB]

Home Port: Southampton

Year Built: 1913

Length with Bowsprit - 22.5m

Length overall - 17.06m

Length waterline - 14.63m

Beam - 4.63m

Draught - 3.1m

Tonnage - 44 T.M.

Construction - 2 inch oak on 5 inch grown-oak frames. Iron keel with lead internal ballas

Owner: Dauntsey's School, West Lavington, Devizes, Wiltshire SN10 4HE

  

Jolie Brise

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 

Development

 

Designer: Alexandre Pâris

Location: Le Havre

Year: 1913

Builder: Albert Paumelle Yard

Role: Pilot Cutter

 

Specifications

Gaff-rigged pilot cutter

MMSI: 232007940

Call Sign: 2XBV

Flag: United Kingdom [GB]

Home Port: Southampton

Year Built: 1913

Sparred length: 22.50 m (73 ft 10 in)

Length on deck: 17.06 m (56 ft)

Load waterline length: 14.63 m (48 ft)

Beam: 4.63 m (15 ft 2 in)

Draught: 3.10 m (10 ft 2 in)

Displacement: 44 tonnes

Crew: Up to three

Trainees: Up to twelve

  

Rig

Rig type: Gaff

 

Jolie Brise is a gaff-rigged pilot cutter built and launched by the Albert Paumelle Yard in Le Havre in 1913 to a design by Alexandre Pâris. After a short career as a pilot boat, owing to steam replacing sail, she became a fishing boat, a racing yacht and a sail training vessel.

 

1923-1977 Post-Pilot History

 

Bought by Evelyn George Martin in 1923 she was refitted and won the first Fastnet race from seven starters in August 1925. In 1927 Martin sold Jolie Brise, through an advertisement in Yachting World to Captain Warren Ferrier and his partner Dr Brownlow Smith.

 

An engine and an additional cabin were fitted at Morgan Giles's yard at Teignmouth. Bobby Somerset, a founder member of the Ocean Racing Club - as was Martin, purchased her in 1928. After competing in the Fastnet, Bermuda and Santander races he sold her four years later to Lt. John Gage, RNR.

 

His ownership was only for a year and it seems that in 1934 she was purchased by an American, Stanley Mortimer. Alterations, mostly to the living accommodation were made at a yard in Palma, Majorca and a Gardner diesel was fitted in Marseilles. After cruising the Mediterranean, and with war in the offing Jolie Brise returned to Southampton and was put up for sale.

 

She was bought by William Stannard but requisitioned by the Royal Navy which laid her up on a mud berth at Shoreham for the duration of the war. In 1945 she was bought by a syndicate headed by Lillian and Jim Worsdell and her name was changed to Pleasant Breeze.

 

A voyage to New Zealand was aborted and when she put into Lisbon she was acquired by a Portuguese syndicate headed by Luis Lobato. Repaired and refitted, she was once again listed as Jolie Brise. For nearly 30 years her home port remained Lisbon but in 1975, partly because of the political situation in Portugal, she returned to the Solent, 50 years after her first Fastnet win.

 

1977 onwards Current Role

 

In 1977 she was bought in a collaboration between Dauntsey's School, the International Sailing Craft Association and the Science Museum to serve as the flagship of its sailing club and remains in that role.

 

Between 1977 and 1991 she sailed extensively around European waters crewed by students from the School, including winning Tall Ships Races in 1980 and 1986. The students were also involved heavily in the care and maintenance of her.

 

In 1991 she entered a major refit at Gloucester Docks, which was completed in 1993.

 

The same year she entered the Fastnet Race again, sixty years after her first time in 1931. After a circumnavigation of the UK in 1994, she has sailed all over Europe, and beyond with crews from the School, hosting other schools and groups of young people and with commercial trainees. In 1996 she returned to Portugal to visit Luis Lobato, in 1997 she went north, venturing 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle and in 2000, 2009 and 2017 she sailed across the Atlantic to the Bermuda, USA and Canada. In 2019 she visited Iceland and the Faroe Islands for the first time.

 

In 2003 she was bought by Dauntsey's School outright.

 

The boat is currently skippered by Toby Marris, and has the capacity to carry up to 12 students for local and international cruising and racing trips.

(built 1760-1776) Las Trampas, NM

Built circa 1925, this Commercial-style building features a red wire brick exterior, a parapet with gabled and stepped sections, steel pivot windows, brick pilasters and concrete trim at the base, concrete trim above the third floor windows, and first floor retail shopfronts along Jackson Avenue which house a variety of businesses, and apartments in the adaptively reused former warehouse space on the second and third floors. The building is a contributing structure in the Jackson Avenue Warehouse District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and the Southern Warehouse and Terminal Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.

The Orchha Fort complex, which houses a large number of ancient monuments consisting of the fort, palaces, temple and other edifices, is located in the Orchha town in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The fort and other structures within it were built by the Bundela Rajputs starting from early 16th century by King Rudra Pratap Singh of the Orchha State and others who followed him.

 

The fort complex, which is accessed from an arched causeway, leads to a large gateway. This is followed by a large quadrangular open yard surrounded by palaces. These are Raja Mahal or Raja Mandir, Sheesh Mahal, Jahangir Mahal, a temple, gardens and pavilions. The battlements of the fort have ornamentation. Notable architectural features in the fort complex are projected balconies, open flat areas and decorated latticed windows.

 

LOCATION

The fort complex is located in the Tikamgarh district of Madhya Pradesh in the erstwhile state of Orchha. The fort complex is within an island formed by the confluence of the Betwa River and Jamni River in Orchha town. Approach to the complex from the eastern part of the market in the town is through a multiple arched bridge with 14 arches built in granite stones.

 

Orchha town is approximately 80 kilometres away from Tikamgarh town, which is the district headquarters of the district of the same name. Jhansi town is 15 kilometres away. Orchha is a railway station of the Central Railway on the Jhansi-Manikpur section.

 

HISTORY

The fort was built following the founding of the Orchha State in 1501 AD by Rudra Pratap Singh (r. 1501–1531), a Bundela rajput. The palaces and temples within the fort complex were built over a period of time by successive Maharajas of the Orchha State. Of these, the Raja Mandir or Raja Mahal was built by Madhukar Shah who ruled from 1554 to 1591. Jahangir Mahal and Sawan Bhadon Mahal were built during the reign of Vir Singh Deo (r. 1605–1627). The features of "pepper pots and domes" seen in the fort complex are believed to have inspired Lutyens in the architecture of the structures which he built in New Delhi.

 

MONUMENTS

The fort complex, accessed from an arched causeway, leads to a large gateway followed by a large quadrangular open space which is surrounded by palaces such as Raja Mahal or Raja Mandir, Sheesh Mahal, Jahangir Mahal, a temple, gardens and pavilions. The fort walls have battlements, which have ornamentation. Notable architectural features seen in the fort complex consist of projected balconies, open flat areas and decorated latticed windows.

 

RAJA MAHAL

The Raja Mahal (King’s Palace), where the kings and the queens had resided till it was abandoned in 1783, was built in the early part of 16th century. Its exterior is simple without any embellishments but the interior chambers of the palace are elaborately royal in its architectural design, decorated with murals of social and religious themes of gods, mythical animals and people. In the upper floor of the palace there are traces of mirrors in the ceilings and walls. Its windows, arcaded passages and layout plan are designed in such a way that the "sunlight and shadow create areas of different moods and temperatures throughout the day". The interior walls of the Mahal have murals of Lord Vishnu. The Mahal has several secret passages.

 

A part of this Mahal was converted into a temple and named Rama Raja Temple in honour of the god Rama. There is legend associated with naming it as a temple. According to a local legend, the temple was built following Rani Ganeshkuwari, the queen getting a "dream visitation" by Lord Rama directing her to build a temple for Him; while Madhukar Shah was a devotee of Krishna, his wife's dedication was to Rama. Following this a new temple known as the Chaturbuj Temple was approved to be built, and the queen went to Ayodhya to obtain an image of Lord Rama that was to be enshrined in her new temple. When she came back from Ayodhya with the image of Rama, initially she kept the idol in her palace as the Chaturbuj Temple was still under construction. She was, however, unaware of an injunction that the image to be deified in a temple could not be kept in a palace. Once the temple construction was completed and the idol of the lord had to be moved for installation at the Chatrubhuj Temple, it refused to be shifted from the palace. Hence, instead of the Chaturbhuj Temple, the Rama's idol remained in the palace where as the Chaturbhuj Temple remained without an idol in its sanctum. As Rama was worshipped in the palace, part of the palace was converted into the Rama Raja Temple; it is the only shrine in the country where Rama is worshipped as a King. The temple is guarded by a police force and the deity, Lord Rama, is considered as the king and is given a gun salute of honour every day.

 

SHEESH MAHAL

Sheesh Mahal is flanked on either side by the Raja Mahal and the Jahangir Mahal. This has royal accommodation, which was built for king Udait Singh. It has now been converted into a hotel. The interior of this edifice consists of a huge impressive hall with high ceiling, which is the dining hall. Its recent colour scheme renovations are an eyesore. But staying in two of its royal suites on the upper floor, which provide scenic views of the town, gives the guest a feeling of royalty.

 

JAHANGIR MAHAL

Jahangir Mahal is a palace that was exclusively built by Bir Singh Deo in 1605 to humor the Mughal emperor Jahangir who was a guest of the Maharaja for one night only. The palace is built in four levels with elegant architectural features of both Muslim and Rajput architecture. Its layout is a symmetrical square built in the inner courtyard of the fort and has eight large domes. It has a plethora of rooms with arcaded openings, projecting platforms and windows with lattice design work. The roof above top floor of this Mahal is accessed through a steep stairway. It provides picture perfect views of the temples and the Betwa River outside the fort complex. The palace also houses a small archaeological museum.

 

The entrance gate from this palace, which was earlier the main gate and which has carved ornamentation, leads to the royal baths and then to an elegant small dwelling unit built within a garden in typical Mughal architectural style; this had been built exclusively for Rai Parveen, the female escort of the Raja Indramani (1672 – 76); her large-size portrait in a revealing and seductive attire adorns hall in this Mahal. She was a poet and musician. The building is a double storied structure built with bricks, rising to the height of the trees in the well tended garden called Anand Mahal. The garden is laid out with octagonal flower beds and has good network of water supply. There are niches in the Mahal which permit natural light to the main hall and smaller rooms.

 

It is said that Emperor Akbar (r. 1556 – 1605) who was enamored by Parveen's beauty had taken her to his palace in Agra to be his courtesan. But Parveen, who wanted to get out of the situation, composed a gazal or a couplet which stated her status as an already used woman not fit for an emperor, which enabled her to get release from Akbar's court and return to Orchha.

 

PHOOL BAGH

Phool Bagh is an elegantly laid out garden in the fort complex which has a line of water fountains that terminates in a "palace-pavilion" which has eight pillars. Below this garden is an underground structure which was used by the royalty as a cool summer retreat. This cooling system consists of water ventilation system that is linked to an underground palace with "Chandan Katora", which is in the shape of a bowl from where fountains of droplets trickle through the roof creating rainfall.

 

WIKIPEDIA

Built in 1967, the circular shape and precast concrete construction of the three story building is quite distinctive in Tiffin. Ohio. The library was designed by Orville Bauer of the Toledo firm Richards, Bauer & Moorhead and you can see the Octagon House from its front door.

Built in 1929 and still standing is the House of the Man in the White Sharkskin Suit on Queen Nazli Avenue ~ Cairo, Egypt

Built in 1927 for Hiroshima, Japan.

  

San Francisco Streetcar Centennial Parade

Built by Southern Pacific in 1894, now used by Caltrain for commuter service between San Francisco, San Jose, and beyond.

A cute little nymph of the spur-throated grasshopper (Xenocatantops humilis) in Koh Lanta, Thailand, measuring in at about 10 mm (3/8").

The theatre was originally built for The Watford Hippodrome Co., Ltd. The foundation stone of what was to become the Palace Theatre was laid on 3 June 1908. Five days later Mr H.M. Theobald, the architect, lodged the notification of his intention to build the theatre. Construction was undertaken by Barker Brothers of Maidenhead, and took six months, opening on 14 December 1908. The opening proprietors were the Watford Palace of Varieties Co.

In early days it put on variety shows and plays, mostly imported from other theatres. Variety artists who appeared at the Palace included Marie Lloyd, Evie Greene and Lottie Lennox.

In September 2004 the theatre re-opened after a two year £8.8million Lottery funded refurbishment, which included more public space, two bars, a daytime café, air cooling and new seating. Access to the building was improved by the introduction of a lift to all levels, ramps, and automated front doors.

Now Grade II Listed.

Built in the late 1890s about 30 miles east of Seattle, is one of the Pacific Northwest's oldest hydropower facilities and home to the world's first hydroelectric plant built completely underground.

1 2 ••• 53 54 56 58 59 ••• 79 80