View allAll Photos Tagged affectionate
Clippesby, Norfolk
A shabby lane off of the main Acle to Stalham road leads to the surprise of a gorgeously overgrown graveyard and this delightful church, the highlight of which is what is probably the best Margaret Rope window in East Anglia.
St Botolph's - affectionately known as the 'Stump' - is the largest building in England that has always been a parish church.
The building of the present church is believed to have begun in 1309, replacing a Norman church, but Christianity in Boston goes back to the 7th century when an Anglo-Saxon missionary monk named Botulph or Botolph is believed to have preached there, and founded a church.
One possible explanation for the town's name is that the place was called Botolph's Stone, later shortened to Boston. Medieval Latin documents show that Bostonians were known as 'viri Sancti Botolphi', St Botolph's men'.
The church, except the tower, was probably completed by about 1390. Early in the 15th century the eastwardly leaning pillars may have necessitated the reroofing of the church; at the same time the aisles were 'modernised'. The chancel was lengthened and repairs were carried out to the nave. The building of the tower was probably started early in the 15th century and took 70 yrs to complete. No one really knows why it is called the 'Stump', although it does resemble a tree with its boughs lopped ready for felling.
North Aisle: Late 19th century small coloured panel by Clayton & Bell, a copy of 16th century glass (installed 1968)
Stylish African American black businessman talks on his smartphone standing before a modern glass building outside
The Grumman F8F Bearcat (affectionately called "Bear") was an American single-engine naval fighter aircraft of the 1940s. It went on to serve into the mid-20th Century in the United States Navy and other air forces, and would be the company's final piston engined fighter aircraft.
Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat NL9G flew for the US Navy as BuNo 90454. Its construction number is D.18. It was used as an instructional airframe as NAF Norman, Oklahoma in the 1950s. Ed Weiner of Los Angeles, California registered it as N6624C in 1959 and later changed the registration to N3551. Vernon D. Jarvis of Decatur, Illinois acquired it in 1963 and sold it to R. E. Schreder of Bryan, Ohio. Gunther W. Balz of Kalamazoo, Mishigan registered it as N9G in 1968. It flew as race #1 and then as race #7 Roto Finish Special. Preston Parish and the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum in Michigan acquired it in 1978 and restored it in Royal Thai Air Force colors. Now at Falcon Feild Mesa, Arizona.
This example was one of the 23 preproduction models ordered by the U.S. Navy after the prototype had been tested. and it was flown regularly until it crashed on Memorial Day weekend in 1995. Luckily, the damage was minimal, and it was decided that this rare fighter should be restored.
The museum's Bearcat served with VF-19 and, later, with VF-18. Then, in 1959, the late E.D. Weiner bought it for $500. It subsequently had a number of civilian owners before it was acquired by air race pilot Gunther Balz in 1968. Ten years later, Balz donated it to the Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum.
This Bearcat served with VF-19 and, later, with VF-18. Then, in 1959, the late E.D. Weiner bought it for $500. It subsequently had a number of civilian owners
Affectionately known as the Hill, this road and rail overpass was not only a direct link with central Maitland for the people of Louth Park but it also became a home and refuge during times of flood.In this then photo from Denny Mallon we see the Bridges being removed leaving a hump in the road on the Maitland side, Saint Pauls bell tower can be seen in distance of then photo taken in the early 1980s. Also note the swing and slipery dip which have been removed because it is no longer safe for children to have fun in this day and age..!!
Affectionately named 'Bert', the Category 13 Bulk Water Carrier from Gosford's Bulk Water Brigade. Limited water in the area means Bulk Water Tankers are needed to supply the front-line appliances.
Zoo Berlin, GER -
Affectionately known as the Zoo on the south-west corner of the Tiergarten, this is Berlin’s favourite family spot - a wonderfully kept urban Zoo with a huge playground, restaurants, and coffee shops, providing a whole day’s worth of family entertainment. A site Berliners are justly proud of, this large and very well-kept Zoo is home to 13,700 animals and 1,400 species. The Berlin Zoo and its animals are part of local life and most Berliners will be aware of the news of a new arrival.
Rare among city zoos, the Zoologischer Garten was founded in 1844 on the initiative of zoologists Alexander von Humboldt and Martin Lichtenstein and was the first Zoo to be built in Germany. Under Friedrich Wilhelm IV it became a joint project by Martin Lichtenstein and Peter Joseph Lennè who had redesigned the Tiergarten and allocated the southwestern tip of the Tiergarten as a zoological garden. Prior to this a Pheasantry had served the royal kitchen from 1742. The royal family’s private zoo had been on the Pfaueninsel (Pheasant Island) where pheasants can still be seen strutting around.
Numerous architects worked on the design of the urban habitats for the specific animal. The Antelope House dates back to 1872 and the Elephant House to 1873. The Hippopotamus House (1997) is an example of more modern concepts applied for the well-being of the animals. Under a 13,000 square feet glass solar panel roof the hippopotamuses can be viewed beneath the water and the animals are no longer simply on display.
Stylish African American black businessman talks on his smartphone standing before a modern glass building outside
Prairie dogs greet one another and show affection by 'kissing' - touching mouths and sometimes pressing their tongues together.
Photo Credit: Rich Keen / DPRA
St Botolph's - affectionately known as the 'Stump' - is the largest building in England that has always been a parish church.
The building of the present church is believed to have begun in 1309, replacing a Norman church, but Christianity in Boston goes back to the 7th century when an Anglo-Saxon missionary monk named Botulph or Botolph is believed to have preached there, and founded a church.
One possible explanation for the town's name is that the place was called Botolph's Stone, later shortened to Boston. Medieval Latin documents show that Bostonians were known as 'viri Sancti Botolphi', St Botolph's men'.
The church, except the tower, was probably completed by about 1390. Early in the 15th century the eastwardly leaning pillars may have necessitated the reroofing of the church; at the same time the aisles were 'modernised'. The chancel was lengthened and repairs were carried out to the nave. The building of the tower was probably started early in the 15th century and took 70 yrs to complete. No one really knows why it is called the 'Stump', although it does resemble a tree with its boughs lopped ready for felling.
South Aisle: Brass memorial tablet
‘Babs’ is the affectionate name of the racing car, designed, built and driven by J.G. (John Godfrey) Parry Thomas of Wrexham. It was the car in which Parry Thomas in 1926 set the world land speed record of 171 mph on Pendine Sands in Carmarthenshire.
Parry Thomas was killed the following year while driving the car in an attempt to regain his title from Malcolm Campbell. At his sixth attempt, the car span out of control, cart-wheeled three times and Parry Thomas was killed. ‘Babs’ was buried beneath the sand dunes adjoining the beach.
‘Babs’ on Pendine Sands, Carmarthenshire. © Dr Geraint Owen
Forty-two years later, the car was excavated and painstakingly restored by Owen Wyn Owen, an engineering lecturer at Bangor University and car restorer based at Capel Curig, Gwynedd.
‘Babs’ now spends her time on display at the Museum of Speed on Pendine Sands and at various classic car rallies around Britain.
Brought to Wrexham by Dr Geraint Owen, son of Owen Wyn Owen, himself a lecturer in automotive engineering and historic car enthusiast; the car belongs to a trust comprising Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales, Pendine Community Council and Dr. Geraint Owen, as the son of the late Owen Wyn Owen.
Affectionately known as the "Yellow Team" because of the highlight colors of their appointments on our itinerary, this group included the Current SPJ President-Elect Kevin Smith and Secretary/Treasurer Hagit Limor (Left). Also, SPJ Interim Co-Executive Director Joe Skeel (right). Steve Taylor and RonNell Anderson Jones (center) also were on this team.
In affectionate remembrance of Mary Hall and Albert Edward beloved children of Andrew and Mary Thompson who died at Wooler on the 7th and 8th January 1874 ? aged repectively 6 and 8 years
'They were loved and ___________'
Zoo Berlin, GER -
Affectionately known as the Zoo on the south-west corner of the Tiergarten, this is Berlin’s favourite family spot - a wonderfully kept urban Zoo with a huge playground, restaurants, and coffee shops, providing a whole day’s worth of family entertainment. A site Berliners are justly proud of, this large and very well-kept Zoo is home to 13,700 animals and 1,400 species. The Berlin Zoo and its animals are part of local life and most Berliners will be aware of the news of a new arrival.
Rare among city zoos, the Zoologischer Garten was founded in 1844 on the initiative of zoologists Alexander von Humboldt and Martin Lichtenstein and was the first Zoo to be built in Germany. Under Friedrich Wilhelm IV it became a joint project by Martin Lichtenstein and Peter Joseph Lennè who had redesigned the Tiergarten and allocated the southwestern tip of the Tiergarten as a zoological garden. Prior to this a Pheasantry had served the royal kitchen from 1742. The royal family’s private zoo had been on the Pfaueninsel (Pheasant Island) where pheasants can still be seen strutting around.
Numerous architects worked on the design of the urban habitats for the specific animal. The Antelope House dates back to 1872 and the Elephant House to 1873. The Hippopotamus House (1997) is an example of more modern concepts applied for the well-being of the animals. Under a 13,000 square feet glass solar panel roof the hippopotamuses can be viewed beneath the water and the animals are no longer simply on display.
Affectionately referred to by Elton John as “the greatest songwriter on the planet” and praised by The New York Times for his "genuine originality," Rufus Wainwright has established himself as one of the great male vocalists and songwriters of his generation. He is the son of folk singers Loudon Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle, and brother of Martha Wainwright. Rufus has achieved success by carving out his own singular sound.
St Botolph's - affectionately known as the 'Stump' - is the largest building in England that has always been a parish church.
The building of the present church is believed to have begun in 1309, replacing a Norman church, but Christianity in Boston goes back to the 7th century when an Anglo-Saxon missionary monk named Botulph or Botolph is believed to have preached there, and founded a church.
One possible explanation for the town's name is that the place was called Botolph's Stone, later shortened to Boston. Medieval Latin documents show that Bostonians were known as 'viri Sancti Botolphi', St Botolph's men'.
The church, except the tower, was probably completed by about 1390. Early in the 15th century the eastwardly leaning pillars may have necessitated the reroofing of the church; at the same time the aisles were 'modernised'. The chancel was lengthened and repairs were carried out to the nave. The building of the tower was probably started early in the 15th century and took 70 yrs to complete. No one really knows why it is called the 'Stump', although it does resemble a tree with its boughs lopped ready for felling.
North aisle: Harry Grylls window detail, 1940s
.It was a delightful scene when daughter Priyanka Gandhi Vadra innocently and affectionately pinches the cheek of mother Sonia Gandhi during a public meeting in Raebareli. The affectionate gesture clearly revealed the profound love between the two and also the wonderful mother-daughter relation. It was a memorable day for the people of Raebareli as well a confidence-boosting experience for the Congress workers in the region when both Congress President Sonia Gandhi and daughter Priyanka Gandhi Vadra appeared together during an election rally in Raebareli.
More....
St Botolph's - affectionately known as the 'Stump' - is the largest building in England that has always been a parish church.
The building of the present church is believed to have begun in 1309, replacing a Norman church, but Christianity in Boston goes back to the 7th century when an Anglo-Saxon missionary monk named Botulph or Botolph is believed to have preached there, and founded a church.
One possible explanation for the town's name is that the place was called Botolph's Stone, later shortened to Boston. Medieval Latin documents show that Bostonians were known as 'viri Sancti Botolphi', St Botolph's men'.
The church, except the tower, was probably completed by about 1390. Early in the 15th century the eastwardly leaning pillars may have necessitated the reroofing of the church; at the same time the aisles were 'modernised'. The chancel was lengthened and repairs were carried out to the nave. The building of the tower was probably started early in the 15th century and took 70 yrs to complete. No one really knows why it is called the 'Stump', although it does resemble a tree with its boughs lopped ready for felling.
North aisle: Harry Grylls window detail, 1940s
Zoo Berlin, GER -
Affectionately known as the Zoo on the south-west corner of the Tiergarten, this is Berlin’s favourite family spot - a wonderfully kept urban Zoo with a huge playground, restaurants, and coffee shops, providing a whole day’s worth of family entertainment. A site Berliners are justly proud of, this large and very well-kept Zoo is home to 13,700 animals and 1,400 species. The Berlin Zoo and its animals are part of local life and most Berliners will be aware of the news of a new arrival.
Rare among city zoos, the Zoologischer Garten was founded in 1844 on the initiative of zoologists Alexander von Humboldt and Martin Lichtenstein and was the first Zoo to be built in Germany. Under Friedrich Wilhelm IV it became a joint project by Martin Lichtenstein and Peter Joseph Lennè who had redesigned the Tiergarten and allocated the southwestern tip of the Tiergarten as a zoological garden. Prior to this a Pheasantry had served the royal kitchen from 1742. The royal family’s private zoo had been on the Pfaueninsel (Pheasant Island) where pheasants can still be seen strutting around.
Numerous architects worked on the design of the urban habitats for the specific animal. The Antelope House dates back to 1872 and the Elephant House to 1873. The Hippopotamus House (1997) is an example of more modern concepts applied for the well-being of the animals. Under a 13,000 square feet glass solar panel roof the hippopotamuses can be viewed beneath the water and the animals are no longer simply on display.