View allAll Photos Tagged UtilityVehicle

(1941-1945) WILLYS MB

 

One of the first mass-produced military vehicles in the United States, the Willys MB (and Ford GPW) U.S Army Jeep is the culmination of war-time ingenuity, standardization and strategic personalization for transport of personnel and cargo. Soon to become the ubiquitous, ''world-famous'' Jeep, the Willys MB and Ford GPW models were very effective on the ground, with many standardized features such as 6.00x16 tyres, 60 honest horsepower at 4,000rpm, a gasoline can bracket on the left rear, provisions for trailer lights, spark interference suppression, a blackout light system, twin top bows and sealed spring shackles.

 

Prior to the production of the MB/GPW, other attempts were made to satisfy the Army's need for a Light Utility Vehicle including the first prototype presented by the American Bantam Car Company. Nicknamed the ''Blitz Buggy'' this vehicle concept which was the first bid accepted by the Army, as it satisfied the Army’s Ordnance Technical Committee specifications that the vehicle has:

▪︎Four-wheel drive.

▪︎Crew of three.

▪︎A wheelbase of no more than 75in and tracks no more than 47in.

▪︎A fold-down windshield.

▪︎A 660lb payload.

▪︎An engine capable of 85 ft lb of torque.

▪︎With an empty weight of no more than 1,300lbs. (590 kg).

 

While the ''Blitz Buggy'' did satisfy these requirements, Bantam was not able to deliver with the fiscal strength or production capability needed to win the contract with the War Department. As as result, Ford and Willys were asked to product their own pilot models for testing, the results of which would determine the contract. The original pilot models were submitted and named accordingly. The Willys Quad by Willys Overland, the Ford Pygmy by Ford and the BRC 60 by Bantam were accepted and orders were given for 1,500 units per company, with a revised weight limit of 2,160Ib. During these pre-production runs, each vehicle was re-named. The Willys Quad became the “MA”, the Ford Pygmy became the “GP”, and the “BRC 60” became the “BRC 40”. By July of 1941, the War Department, needing standardization, selected Willys-Overland to fulfill its contract, on account of the MA’s powerful engine, silhouette, low bid ($748.74/unit), and because of the company’s ability to fulfill production needs, ordering another 16,000 vehicles.

 

Absorbing some of the design features of the Bantam and Ford entries, the Willys “MA” was then renamed the Willys “MB”, and featured the powerful “Go Devil” engine and a welded flat iron “slat” radiator grille (which was later replaced by a stamped grille in March of 1942). By October 1941, due to an increased demand for production, Ford was contracted to assist Willys-Overland and changed their model’s name from “GP to “GPW”, with the "W" referring to the "Willys" licensed design. During World War Two, Ford produced some 280,000 of these vehicles.

 

The MA and early MB's had the “Willys” name stamped into the left rear panel; however, in the spring of 1942, the War Dept. decided not to feature the logo and removed them. Early MB's had a wiper for each side of the windshield, which were hand operated in contrast to later configurations. The windshields also varied slightly. The first 3,500 produced used an MA-type frame, which had a shorter distance between the cowl and the glass frames (4in) The later models had a 6in measurement, and were noticeably taller. In the earlier model MB's, the gas tank still had rectangular lower corners, as opposed to later versions.

 

While earlier black-out lamps for the MB were used as aids to see other vehicles in the convoy, later MB's feature a large blackout headlamp mounted on the left front fender that was used to help the driver see where he was going. The headlamps on all World War Two Willys MB and Ford GPW Jeeps hinged up so they could illuminate the engine compartment in dark times. In 1942 the MB Jeeps got combat wheels, replacing the original stamped and welded version. Combat wheels were heavier and bolted together to facilitate field repair, and also had the ability to transport the vehicle for a distance with deflated tires. All jeeps had brackets for their pioneer tools mounted on the left side below the entryway.

 

Rounded rear corners were found on the bodies of all the production Jeeps, both Willys MB and Ford GPW models. All models also featured larger bumperettes, exterior handles for manual extrication from sticky terrain, and two top bows to raise the height of the canvas and keep it from pounding the heads of the front seat occupants. The instrument panels began to look more militarized on the MB and GPW. Instruments were separate (oil pressure, fuel level, ammeter, water temperature, speedometer) had black faces, and were externally illuminated. The in-out lever for the front differential, and the transfer case lever, were on the right side of the transmission lever, as those components had migrated from the left side on the Bantams to the right side on the production models.

 

Sourced from www.kaiserwillys.com/about_willys_jeep_mb_history_specs

Pre-57th Presidential Inauguration 2013: Penn Quarter on Indiana Avenue at 6th Street, NW, Washington DC on Sunday afternoon, 20 January 2013 by Elvert Barnes Photography

 

SETTING UP for 57th PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION 2013 PARADE

 

Visit Elvert Barnes 57th PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION 2013 docu-project at elvertbarnes.com/2013Inauguration.html

crested butte, colorado

1977

 

truck

 

part of an archival project, featuring the photographs of nick dewolf

 

© the Nick DeWolf Foundation

Image-use requests are welcome via flickrmail or nickdewolfphotoarchive [at] gmail [dot] com

Old Fire Engine at Woburn Abbey

At the CWC display.

▪︎LAND ROVER SERIES II FORWARD CONTROL▪︎

  

The Land Rover Serie II FC (''Forward Control'') is a rather unique truck built on the basis of the legendary Land Rover off-road utility car. The initial IIA had a 2.25-litre petrol engine and LWB 109 inch chassis, with cab positioned over the engine for more load space. Export vehicles had the 2.6-litre petrol engine and ENV (heavy duty) rear axle. They also had larger tyres with deep-dish wheel rims on the rear axle. They remained still underpowered for a 1.5 long ton payload. 2,500 were manufactured from 1962 to 1966 as troop carriers for the British Army, they were superseded in 1974 by the Series IIB with a more powerful 2.25 litre diesel and other upgrades, they were retired in the 1990's.

 

Demand for better load-carrying capacity for the Land Rover was already a concern in the 1950's, as the regular Series I and IIA were rather cramped as that of the WWII Jeep. At the same time Ford proposed a 6-wheeled Jeep in 1942, which was only adopted in limited numbers for trials. In the British Army, the need was answered in 1962, with the launch of the Series IIA Forward Control (FC) vehicle. This new vehicle was based on the Series II Long Wheelbase (LWB), meaning a 109 inch chassis. The greatest difference was the placement of the cab, now positioned over the engine, thus creating a vehicle somewhat close to a ''cab over engine'' (COE) configuration, already known and used in WWII for its advantages in visibility. But technically it was not for many specialists. There was a true COE made by Rover though, the Leyland 15/20 based on the Standard Atlas.

 

This indeed resulted in a massively increased load space at the rear. The ''car'' was transformed into a truck. It also had a new rear sub-frame attached to the 109 inch chassis in order to superpose a brand new flat load space, infinitely larger than the original space between seats in the standard Land Rover Series II. The result was capable of carrying 30 cwt (1 ½ tons - long tons) on the road, and 25 cwt (1 ton - long ton) cross-country. All this seems ideal until road trials and off-road trials were performed. While quite valid on road, the FC became a ''dog'' when operating off-road and on muddy, snowy ground. It's power to weight ratio, given the overloaded chassis and new payload, several folds what the standard car can carry, completely overwhelmed the engine, which was basically was stock, shared, as most mechanical components, with the car. Complaints about the Serie IIA FC led to a new version with a beefier engine, the Series IIB.

 

The IIA Forward Control was not only given a modified chassis, with a new frame to support the flatbed and brand new cabin and radiator. I was also fitted with heavy duty axles and larger tyres to increase the ground clearance, something that was anticipated. Its body style was that of a ''pick-up'', as dimensions were those of a small lorry and due to the proportions of the flatbed compared to the cabin.

 

Unlike a standard Rover, only seating was located in the cab, open or closed. This new cab was carried on a front sub-frame, bolted onto the chassis. But for Rover, this allowed it to present to the army a design that proved economical and required only a few new parts. It could be produced rapidly with the same personnel at a dedicated new facility, but with the same logistics as the standard Range Rover.

 

The front and rear sub-frame was also a choice driven by economics, but was later criticized as it resulted in a much heavier vehicle compared to a purpose-built chassis integrating from the start a cab and flatbed like any standard truck. The designation in military nomenclature ''110'' recalled the chassis wheelbase. The Forward Control model indeed had more payload and was accepted for production after the prototype first ran in 1960 and performed a whole range of gruelling trials, made available as a Series IIA FC from September 1960. However many modifications led to a military production from 1962.

 

The Series IIA Forward Control was given as seen above the 109 inch wheelbase and managed to keep 75% of the standard 109 inch chassis components to stay attractive but this led to a number of compromises to lower the base price. It was only available with the Rover’s four-cylinder petrol engine of 2,286cc (making it under powered) and it was proven unstable, due to the combination of height and standard width axles.

 

Considering that the Series II's 2,286l petrol engine was retained, the result was a very underpowered vehicle. Tyres were of the 900×16 types on deep-dish wheel rims to spread the ground weight of this heavy vehicle. They were neither of the run-flat type, not fitted with a central inflation system. The 6 Cylinder, 3.063 x 3.625 inch, 2,625cc 7:1 CR was coupled with a S.U. H.D.6 carburettor on the Series IIA. On the Series IIB it was rated for 88.5 bhp @ 4500 rpm, 176 Nm @ 1750 rpm (88 bhp ''gross'', 130 lb/ft albeit LRO Magazine states published that this 6 cylinder engine was detuned to 85.285 bhp @ 4500 rpm, 173 Nm @ 1500 rpm (86 bhp net, 128 lb/ft).

 

The Series II Forward Control Land Rovers used a different transfer box than standard Land Rovers to compensate for the 9.00 x 16 tyres and the main gearbox ratios were the same, but the gearbox was different, with a longer main shaft used to interface to the Forward Control transfer box of the ''Easy Drive'' type, enabling to change from high to low range while moving. The Series I / Series II had the same main gearbox ratios, albeit Series IIA ratios were different early in production.

 

The power issue (of lack thereof) was partly addressed in 1966 with the advent of the Series IIB Forward Control. This added the 2,286l diesel engine and 2,6l 6-cylinder petrol engine as options. The 6-cylinder petrol engine was adapted from the Rover P4 and P5 cars and considered far more reliable. And for stability, the wheelbase was slightly lengthened but more importantly, the wheel tracks were widened by four inches. The head lamps were also lowered (externally the only way to tell). The side lights were relocated to a higher position as well.

 

These vehicles had a turning circle of 49ft for the IIA and 45ft 11in for the IIB, a ground clearance of 10 inches, the height of load bay (unladen) 41 inches. The body width (internal) was 63½ inches) and the body length was 123½ inches). Payload was two in the cabin and 30 cwt on road, 25 cwt off road (with standard 109 being rated for 15 cwt. It should be noted that some Forward Controls were fitted with a hydraulic winch, driven from the power take-off aft of the gearbox and the hydraulic fluid reservoir holds 6½ gallons.

 

After 2,500 Series IIA were manufactured, the Army wanted a massive improvement, and the transition in production started in 1965. The new Series IIB started production from 1966. For this, Rover engineers completely re-designed the vehicle. The underpowered aspect was solved by the adoption of the six-cylinder petrol engine of 2,625cc. However it was longer (110 inches), so this needed to move the front axle forward of one inch making for an increased wheelbase to 110 inches, hence the new designation.

 

This Series IIB was introduced in September 1966 and also comprised modifications such as wider and stronger axles to address the stability aspect, and a stronger transmission to cope with the new engine, which had a much greater torque. It also had front anti-roll bar and revised rear springs mounted above the axle rather than below it. The easiest way to distinguish a Series IIA externally was its high headlamps compared to a Series IIB with low headlamps. The other way to tell the 110 from the 101 apart when on their side, is to count the number of nuts holding the wheels on, from five studs to six to match the Howitzer gun that it was designed to tow, and in turn it matches the Unimog 404.

 

▪︎Series IIA: Original LWB variant with the standard 2.3L engine, produced 1962–66, 3,193*

▪︎Series IIB: Re-powered variant with a 6-cyl, 2.6L and longer wheelbase, produced, 1966–73, 2,303**

▪︎Series FC 101 inch, LWB chassis, for the civilian market, confidential production.

▪︎Llama: Export version, exists in prototype form only, *2-¼ petrol – 2,091 / 2¼ diesel – 5 / 2.6 6cyl petrol – 1,097.

 

Specifications IIA:

 

▪︎Length: 193 inches

▪︎Width: 75½ inches

▪︎Height: 88¼ inches

▪︎Wheelbase: 109 inches

▪︎Axles: 53½ inches (track F/R)

▪︎Weight: 1.91 tons (long tons) Kerb Weight, with water, oil, and 5 gallons of fuel

▪︎Crew: 2+12

▪︎Propulsion: Rover 1.6L

▪︎Suspension: Leaf springs

▪︎Speed: 43.49 mph (road)

▪︎Range: 186.4 miles

▪︎Armament: None (personal weapons, crews and infantry)

▪︎Production: 2,500 approximately.

 

Specifications IIB:

 

▪︎Length: 193 inches

▪︎Width: 75½ inches

▪︎Height: 88½ inches

▪︎Wheelbase: 109 inches

▪︎Axles: 57½ inches

▪︎Weight: 1.93 tons (long tons)

▪︎Crew: 2+12

▪︎Propulsion: Rover 2.8L

▪︎Suspension: Leaf springs

▪︎Speed: 43.49 mph (road)

▪︎Range: 186.4 miles

▪︎Armament: None (personal weapons, crews and infantry)

▪︎Production: 3,500 approximately.

 

The compromised IIA and IIB FC were never a success, albeit production was maintained for the British Army until 1974. It was to be replaced by the more sophisticated 101 Forward Control, never sold to the civilian market, only retained by the army. Most IIA's and IIB's were sold as in the 1980's as work trucks on the civilian market, and worked hard, which combined with relatively low production numbers, meant very few survived. Many survivors were conversions, such as camper vans and fire engines which had a relatively less arduous career.

 

The Series IIA was not popular, young, inexperienced drivers often misjudged the stability underway and this never ended well. The full payload, combined with harsh terrain meant the trucks often broke down, as a combined result of a relatively unreliable engine, which was completely overstrained in this new condition. The attrition rate was such in the 1960's a solution was asked to Rover. One solution was to better train drivers, the other to just lower the payload. The most practical was to use the vehicle as troop carriers, carrying twelve men each with their own equipment (plus the driver and co-driver). A standard Land Rover could only carry six. Even after the introduction of the IIB, the army continued to use these as troop carriers. Some took part in the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) deployments of the cold war in the 1970-80's, until replacement.

 

There are private collectors that parade them today, notably yearly in Land Rover gatherings across UK and abroad. They always surprises the general public, oblivious a truck was derived from the car they know so well. However, production figures are hard to come by. The number generally accepted is 2,500 for the Series IIA, and around 3,000 to 3,500 for the IIB. This was not considerable compared to more standard military trucks in service at the time.

 

Information sourced from – truck-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/UK/land-rover-series-II-FC...

The small crossover utility market continues to be a hot topic as sales increase from active lifestyle consumers seeking solutions that appease their utilitarian needs. With character traits based on athletic styling, inventive utility, fuel efficiency and both advanced connectivity and telematics automakers have set the bar high with vehicles such as the all-new Hyundai Kona. It drives smarter, works swankier and plays harder.

Pre-57th Presidential Inauguration 2013: Chinatown / Penn Quarter on 7th between E and F Street, NW, Washington DC on Sunday afternoon, 20 January 2013 by Elvert Barnes Photography

 

John Deere 825i Gator Utility Vehicle

www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/gator_uti...

 

SETTING UP for 57th PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION 2013 PARADE

The small crossover utility market continues to be a hot topic as sales increase from active lifestyle consumers seeking solutions that appease their utilitarian needs. With character traits based on athletic styling, inventive utility, fuel efficiency and both advanced connectivity and telematics automakers have set the bar high with vehicles such as the all-new Hyundai Kona. It drives smarter, works swankier and plays harder.

A John Deere Gator HPX drives down the sidewalk at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum during Blizzard 2016 on January 23, 2016 in Washington DC.

Photos around Gloucester Docks

Morris C8 GS Utility Vehicle

832 EPC

Year - 1944.

Participant of Weymouth's Veterans Parade.

Lodmoor, Weymouth.

By the late 1960's, it was clear that changes to the Series IIA were required if Land Rover was going to keep its edge. Hence in 1971, the Series IIA was replaced by the Series III. Cash was limited and market research showed that customers were not looking for radical changes.

 

Hence the Series III was an evolution of the Series IIA design, rather a complete revamp. The most significant change was the replacement of the gearbox with a completely new one that incorporated synchromesh on all forward gears. The ratios were also revised, with lower reverse and 1st gears, and the low range ratio was also reduced. Clutch design was also modified to include a diaphragm spring, resulting in smoother and quieter gear changes. Brakes were also improved, and a heavy duty Salisbury rear axle was fitted as standard to all 6 cylinder vehicles. From 1972, the Salisbury became a standard fitment on all 109-inch vehicles. The electrical system was also upgraded with the dynamo replaced by an alternator.

 

The body remained virtually unchanged, although the metal grille was replaced with a plastic grille designed to match the new headlamp position introduced in 1968. Although there were few external changes, the Series III looked very different on the inside. The dash was redesigned with the addition of padding. The instrument panel was moved to be in front of the driver. The door interiors were upholstered, and a much-improved heater was fitted, there wwere even provisions for a radio !

 

In 1979, the Range Rover V8 engine and drive-line were fitted to the 109-inch to produce the ''Stage 1''. This combined the extra power of the Rover V8 with the load-space and indestructibility of the 109-inch long wheelbase Land Rover. The LT95 4-speed full-time 4WD was used, but the power output of the V8 was reduced slightly to match the 109-inch application. The grille had to be moved forward to fit the V8 into the engine bay, resulting in a vehicle that looks like a hybrid between the leaf-sprung 109-inch and the larger-engined Defender 90 and 110.

 

As well as adding power, the V8 is a much smoother engine. It is also noteworthy for producing peak torque and power at very low engine speeds, idea for a heavy duty vehicle such as the Stage 1, it has a top speed of about 80mph, and is capable of climbing 1-in-1 slopes. ''Stage 1'' was the first stage of a £200 million investment programme, which also produced the 4-door Range Rover, and culminated in the replacement of the Series III Land Rovers by the coil-sprung 110-inch and 90-inch Land Rovers in 1983 and 1984 respectively.

 

General characteristics -

 

▪︎Production: 1971 to 1985

▪︎Body Style: 2-door Off-road vehicle / 4-door Off-road vehicle / 2-door pickup

▪︎Powerplant: 2.25 Litre 73hp I4 Petrol / 2.25 Litre 62hp I4 (Diesel) / 2.6 Litre 86hp I6 (Petrol) /3.5 Litre 91hp V8 (Petrol)

▪︎Transmission: 4-speed manual main transmission / 2-speed manual transfer gearbox / ▪︎Selectable 4-wheel drive

▪︎Wheelbase: 88.0in (SWB) / 109.0in (LWB)

▪︎Length: 142.4in (SWB) / 175.0in (LWB)

▪︎Width: 66.0in

▪︎Height: 77.5in (SWB) / 81.0in (LWB)

▪︎Predecessor: Land Rover Series IIA

▪︎Successor: Land Rover Ninety / One Ten.

 

Information sourced from - www.winwaed.com/landy/history/series3.php

Pre-57th Presidential Inauguration 2013: Penn Quarter on Indiana Avenue at 6th Street, NW, Washington DC on Sunday afternoon, 20 January 2013 by Elvert Barnes Photography

 

SETTING UP for 57th PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION 2013 PARADE

 

Visit Elvert Barnes 57th PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION 2013 docu-project at elvertbarnes.com/2013Inauguration.html

Morris Commercial Limited was a British manufacturer of commercial vehicles formed by William Morris, founder of Morris Motors Limited. The Morris Commercial R-Type was built between 1928 to 1933, with 17,745 units being produced, it was introduced in 1930 as a standard 15 cwt Light Truck, and many of them were bought by the British Army during World War Two to be used as a 15 cwt 4x2 General Service Truck.

 

Initially the 25 cwt ''Super Lorry'' was powered by a Morris 15.9hp Z type petrol engine, one year into production and known as the ''Middleweight Champion'' it received an upgrade to a 4-speed gearbox and was rated with a 30 cwt capacity. The wheelbase was increased to 11ft 2in between 1931 and 1933, and a change of engines came along, first to 17.9hp, and then to a 19.2hp version of the Z engine. Front brakes now came as a standard fitting. These lorries had the familiar cast aluminium radiator surrounds. An 'economy' version of the 2 ton was introduced at this time, known as the R.11/40 (11ft 2in wheelbase) or the R.13/40 (13ft wheelbase). The 'Economy' had the cast radiator replaced with a painted pressed metal version, all R-Types ended in 1933.

  

▪︎Place of Origin: United Kingdom

▪︎Used By: British Army

▪︎Conflicts: World War Two

▪︎Designer: Morris Commercial Cars

▪︎Manufacturer: Morris Commercial Cars

▪︎Produced: 1928 to 1933

▪︎Number Built: 17,745

▪︎Powerplant: Morris 15.9hp / 17.9hp / 19.2 Z type petrol engine

▪︎Weight: / Length: 13ft 9in / Width: 5ft 10in / Height: 7ft 8in

▪︎Payload: 25 cwt / 30 cwt

▪︎Drive: 4x2.

  

Taken from Wikipedia en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Commercial_Cars

Alongside Station 1, San Rafael Fire Department, San Rafael ,Ca.

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45 wagon.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J40)

 

Rogers Park, Chicago, Illinois.

Monday, November 24, 2025.

A check of the Greenway park in the North End.

The British manufacturerd FV1119 Leyland Martian 10 ton Six Wheel Drive Recovery Truck was one of a series of highly specialised trucks developed by Leyland Motors during the late 1940's for Military use and incorporated a number of standardised components. The Recovery Vehicle was intended to be used for frontline recovery work and to complement the hard-pressed Scammell Recovery Vehicles already in service in the late 1950's. The Leylands appeared in service in the early 1960's and only a handful would seem to have survived to the mid 1990's, one of the last reportedly in Hong Kong. The truck was the first British Army Breakdown Vehicle to incorporate a pedestal mounted rotating crane as its main lifting device. The Martian also fulfilled the role of an Artillery Tractor fitted with a crewcab for 12 Gunner's, and also came as a General Service Vehicle, carrying supplies and ammunition.

  

General characteristics:-

 

▪︎Manufacturer: Leyland Motors

▪︎Developed: 1940's

▪︎In Service: 1940's to 1970's

▪︎Powerplant: Rolls-Royce B80 (later B81) 6.5 litre straight-8 petrol 175hp to 220hp

▪︎Transmission: 4 speed manual

▪︎Suspension: Walking beam

▪︎Maximum Speed: 40 mph

▪︎Consumption: 3.5 mpg

▪︎Lifting Capacity: 15 ton Rotating crane

▪︎Winching Capacity: 40 ton Rear winch

▪︎Stabiliser: Ground Anchor

▪︎Variants: Artillery Tractor / General Purpose Vehicle.

  

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4495814

The British manufacturerd FV1119 Leyland Martian 10 ton Six Wheel Drive Recovery Truck was one of a series of highly specialised trucks developed by Leyland Motors during the late 1940's for Military use and incorporated a number of standardised components. The Recovery Vehicle was intended to be used for frontline recovery work and to complement the hard-pressed Scammell Recovery Vehicles already in service in the late 1950's. The Leylands appeared in service in the early 1960's and only a handful would seem to have survived to the mid 1990's, one of the last reportedly in Hong Kong. The truck was the first British Army Breakdown Vehicle to incorporate a pedestal mounted rotating crane as its main lifting device. The Martian also fulfilled the role of an Artillery Tractor fitted with a crewcab for 12 Gunner's, and also came as a General Service Vehicle, carrying supplies and ammunition.

  

General characteristics:-

 

▪︎Manufacturer: Leyland Motors

▪︎Developed: 1940's

▪︎In Service: 1940's to 1970's

▪︎Powerplant: Rolls-Royce B80 (later B81) 6.5 litre straight-8 petrol 175hp to 220hp

▪︎Transmission: 4 speed manual

▪︎Suspension: Walking beam

▪︎Maximum Speed: 40 mph

▪︎Consumption: 3.5 mpg

▪︎Lifting Capacity: 15 ton Rotating crane

▪︎Winching Capacity: 40 ton Rear winch

▪︎Stabiliser: Ground Anchor

▪︎Variants: Artillery Tractor / General Purpose Vehicle.

  

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4495814

The small crossover utility market continues to be a hot topic as sales increase from active lifestyle consumers seeking solutions that appease their utilitarian needs. With character traits based on athletic styling, inventive utility, fuel efficiency and both advanced connectivity and telematics automakers have set the bar high with vehicles such as the all-new Hyundai Kona. It drives smarter, works swankier and plays harder.

The British manufacturerd FV1119 Leyland Martian 10 ton Six Wheel Drive Recovery Truck was one of a series of highly specialised trucks developed by Leyland Motors during the late 1940's for Military use and incorporated a number of standardised components. The Recovery Vehicle was intended to be used for frontline recovery work and to complement the hard-pressed Scammell Recovery Vehicles already in service in the late 1950's. The Leylands appeared in service in the early 1960's and only a handful would seem to have survived to the mid 1990's, one of the last reportedly in Hong Kong. The truck was the first British Army Breakdown Vehicle to incorporate a pedestal mounted rotating crane as its main lifting device. The Martian also fulfilled the role of an Artillery Tractor fitted with a crewcab for 12 Gunner's, and also came as a General Service Vehicle, carrying supplies and ammunition.

  

General characteristics:-

 

▪︎Manufacturer: Leyland Motors

▪︎Developed: 1940's

▪︎In Service: 1940's to 1970's

▪︎Powerplant: Rolls-Royce B80 (later B81) 6.5 litre straight-8 petrol 175hp to 220hp

▪︎Transmission: 4 speed manual

▪︎Suspension: Walking beam

▪︎Maximum Speed: 40 mph

▪︎Consumption: 3.5 mpg

▪︎Lifting Capacity: 15 ton Rotating crane

▪︎Winching Capacity: 40 ton Rear winch

▪︎Stabiliser: Ground Anchor

▪︎Variants: Artillery Tractor / General Purpose Vehicle.

  

www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4495814

The small crossover utility market continues to be a hot topic as sales increase from active lifestyle consumers seeking solutions that appease their utilitarian needs. With character traits based on athletic styling, inventive utility, fuel efficiency and both advanced connectivity and telematics automakers have set the bar high with vehicles such as the all-new Hyundai Kona. It drives smarter, works swankier and plays harder.

(1941-1945) WILLYS MB –

 

One of the first mass-produced military vehicles in the United States, the Willys MB (and Ford GPW) U.S Army Jeep is the culmination of war-time ingenuity, standardization and strategic personalization for transport of personnel and cargo. Soon to become the ubiquitous, ''world-famous'' Jeep, the Willys MB and Ford GPW models were very effective on the ground, with many standardized features such as 6.00x16 tyres, 60 honest horsepower at 4,000rpm, a gasoline can bracket on the left rear, provisions for trailer lights, spark interference suppression, a blackout light system, twin top bows and sealed spring shackles.

 

Prior to the production of the MB/GPW, other attempts were made to satisfy the Army's need for a Light Utility Vehicle including the first prototype presented by the American Bantam Car Company. Nicknamed the ''Blitz Buggy'' this vehicle concept which was the first bid accepted by the Army, as it satisfied the Army’s Ordnance Technical Committee specifications that the vehicle has:

▪︎Four-wheel drive.

▪︎Crew of three.

▪︎A wheelbase of no more than 75in and tracks no more than 47in.

▪︎A fold-down windshield.

▪︎A 660lb payload.

▪︎An engine capable of 85 ft lb of torque.

▪︎With an empty weight of no more than 1,300lbs. (590 kg).

 

While the ''Blitz Buggy'' did satisfy these requirements, Bantam was not able to deliver with the fiscal strength or production capability needed to win the contract with the War Department. As as result, Ford and Willys were asked to product their own pilot models for testing, the results of which would determine the contract. The original pilot models were submitted and named accordingly. The Willys Quad by Willys Overland, the Ford Pygmy by Ford and the BRC 60 by Bantam were accepted and orders were given for 1,500 units per company, with a revised weight limit of 2,160Ib. During these pre-production runs, each vehicle was re-named. The Willys Quad became the “MA”, the Ford Pygmy became the “GP”, and the “BRC 60” became the “BRC 40”. By July of 1941, the War Department, needing standardization, selected Willys-Overland to fulfill its contract, on account of the MA’s powerful engine, silhouette, low bid ($748.74/unit), and because of the company’s ability to fulfill production needs, ordering another 16,000 vehicles.

 

Absorbing some of the design features of the Bantam and Ford entries, the Willys “MA” was then renamed the Willys “MB”, and featured the powerful “Go Devil” engine and a welded flat iron “slat” radiator grille (which was later replaced by a stamped grille in March of 1942). By October 1941, due to an increased demand for production, Ford was contracted to assist Willys-Overland and changed their model’s name from “GP to “GPW”, with the "W" referring to the "Willys" licensed design. During World War Two, Ford produced some 280,000 of these vehicles.

 

The MA and early MB's had the “Willys” name stamped into the left rear panel; however, in the spring of 1942, the War Dept. decided not to feature the logo and removed them. Early MB's had a wiper for each side of the windshield, which were hand operated in contrast to later configurations. The windshields also varied slightly. The first 3,500 produced used an MA-type frame, which had a shorter distance between the cowl and the glass frames (4in) The later models had a 6in measurement, and were noticeably taller. In the earlier model MB's, the gas tank still had rectangular lower corners, as opposed to later versions.

 

While earlier black-out lamps for the MB were used as aids to see other vehicles in the convoy, later MB's feature a large blackout headlamp mounted on the left front fender that was used to help the driver see where he was going. The headlamps on all World War Two Willys MB and Ford GPW Jeeps hinged up so they could illuminate the engine compartment in dark times. In 1942 the MB Jeeps got combat wheels, replacing the original stamped and welded version. Combat wheels were heavier and bolted together to facilitate field repair, and also had the ability to transport the vehicle for a distance with deflated tires. All jeeps had brackets for their pioneer tools mounted on the left side below the entryway.

 

Rounded rear corners were found on the bodies of all the production Jeeps, both Willys MB and Ford GPW models. All models also featured larger bumperettes, exterior handles for manual extrication from sticky terrain, and two top bows to raise the height of the canvas and keep it from pounding the heads of the front seat occupants. The instrument panels began to look more militarized on the MB and GPW. Instruments were separate (oil pressure, fuel level, ammeter, water temperature, speedometer) had black faces, and were externally illuminated. The in-out lever for the front differential, and the transfer case lever, were on the right side of the transmission lever, as those components had migrated from the left side on the Bantams to the right side on the production models.

 

Information sourced from – www.kaiserwillys.com/about_willys_jeep_mb_history_specs

1 2 ••• 31 32 34 36 37 ••• 42 43