View allAll Photos Tagged Structure

This is the athletic complex. Lander used to play home basketball games at Civic Center before this complex built. Arena is on the left and named afetr long time coach Finis Horne. The whole complex is named after long time State Senator, John Drummond.

Storm chasing USA 2013 with Silver Lining Tours

Continental OH. I think this is where the CN crossed

Uneven Structure - Matthieu Romarin, Igor Omodei, Arnaud Verrier

Promo Day - Paris, France - 2019

MusicWaves

Philippe Bareille

The 290 HP locomotives are used to keep ships in the proper relation to the locks structures. They are essential for a safe and expeditious transit, and run on tow tracks along the lock walls from one end to the other.

 

A new generation of locomotives has now been incorporated into the Panama Canal, and they are expected to enhance Canal services for the benefit of world trade. Each locomotive weighs 50 tons, operates with two 290 HP traction units and has a towing capacity of 311.8 kilonewtons at 4.8 kilometers per hour, and of 178.2 kilonewtons at 8 kilometers per hour. They can move the same load at 3.2 and 4.8 kilometers per hour, respectively. Their maximum return speed is 16 kilometers per hour. They are lighter, stronger, and faster than the previously used models. Reduction in lockage time is among the benefits of their new design.

 

The original locomotives used in the Canal, or "mules" as they were also called, were built by General Electric. They weighed 43 metric tons and could pull 111.07 kilonewtons at a towing speed of up to 3.2 kilometers per hour. Their return speed was 8 kilometers maximum. As of 1964, they have been replaced with Mitsubishi locomotives that weigh 55 tons and tow up to 311 kilonewtons at their maximum towing speed of 4.8 kilometers per hour. They use two windlasses, and have a return speed of 14.4 kilometers.

 

In 1997, the Mitsubishi Corporation was awarded the contract for the manufacture of new locomotives. The first eight prototypes were delivered in August 1999, at a cost of $2.3 million each. After a 6-month test period, they began operating at Miraflores Locks.

 

The second group arrived in August 2001, at a cost of $1.9 million per unit. Sixteen of the 26 locomotives ordered are already in operation at Miraflores Locks. The remaining 10 arrived in March 2002 and joined the Miraflores fleet. The fleet has now increased to 100 units, and the full replacement of the fleet with this new type of locomotives is now under way.

 

The size of the locomotive fleet has grown over the years in order to cope with the increase in number and size of the vessels transiting the Canal. Most of the ships transiting the locks used to only require the assistance of four locomotives. Today, because of their size, some ships require up to eight of the new, stronger locomotives.

 

The ACP has also replaced more than 16 kilometers of existing tow track with a new design built to withstand current and future Canal traffic demands. This new track lowers maintenance costs, improves service and enables the locomotives to assist transiting vessels maintain position within the locks chambers. The project was completed in September 2007.

Fully-involved structure in Minnehaha Springs, WV, 9 miles east of Marlinton.

SCG&E's common 115kv structures:

 

This utility is known to have a lot of new hollowed steel poled structures with polymere horizontal post insulators. Most of these newer poles replaced older 46kv structures that demanded higher voltage upgrade.

The Confederation Life Building on Richmond Street East in Toronto was built in 1892 by Knox, Elliot and Jarvis. The 7 floor Romanesque Revival architecture office was home to insurer Confederation Life.

A fire almost gutted the building in or around the 1970s, but the structure survived and was restored for new tenants. ~ from Wiki

see it circa 1892 www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/fire/big/...

Overpass near Bang Chak BTS station, Bangkok

generated wire structure. delaunay triangulation

 

Photo by Cody Williams.

 

Structure Closing Party

Monday June 25, 2012 6:00pm - 9:00pm @ Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams (1526 14th St NW Washington, DC 20005)

 

A celebration to conclude the Benevolent Media Festival.

 

Join us for “Structure,” a party set against a backdrop of stunning images taken by photojournalists dedicated to using their craft for social change. Whether shot in the field or displayed in your home, these compelling visual stories inspire viewers to celebrate human dignity and support sustainable development in communities worldwide.

 

Prints will be available for purchase at the event. Sizes range from 8” x 10” to 30” x 40” and print prices range from $50 - $1,000. 25% of proceeds from prints sales benefit participating photojournalists and 50% benefit Architecture for Humanity and Architecture for Humanity - Washington DC chapter, a non-profit design services firm committed to building a more sustainable future through the power of professional design.

 

Architecture for Humanity's DC Chapter will also be featuring a small-scale 3D model of [IIII] Box, a fresh initiative that promotes community development by repurposing recycled cargo containers to activate vacant lots and bring positive change to neighborhoods throughout Washington, DC. The [IIII] Box aims to be self-sustainable, green and flexible enough to adapt to different communities and their respective needs. Learn more: www.boxcollective.org/.

 

Raffle items by Photoshelter and Zipcar!

 

Doors open at 6pm

$10 online

$15 at the door

Includes complimentary drinks and appetizers

All proceeds to benefit Architecture for Humanity

 

Enter our raffle: PhotoShelter, the leader in portfolio websites for photographers, gives away a FREE Standard Account, a $329 value with 60 GB of space to archive and market thousands of your high quality photographs.

 

Hosted by: Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams

Curated by: Nuru Project

To benefit: Architecture for Humanity

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1927 for the Tydol Gas Company, this early Organic Modern gas station never got past the conceptual phase, with the present structure inside the museum being based on a series of sketches and preliminary drawings, as well as other extant contemporaneous works by Frank Lloyd Wright. The gas station was intended to be built at the corner of Cherry Street and Michigan Avenue at the edge of Downtown Buffalo, where the Kensington Expressway currently ends, and was intended to operate as a 24-hour service station, with an attendant having quarters in the basement. The reproduction was constructed inside the 2011-2012 addition to the Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum so as to allow it to be as faithful to the original design as possible; building the structure outside as an independent building would have required it to comply with modern building and accessibility codes, which would have compromised the design. Building it as an exhibit inside the museum allowed exemptions from most rules that would have caused major alterations to the design. The design was commissioned by William Heath, whom was an executive at the Larkin Company and part owner of the Tydol Gas Company, whom had commissioned Wright to design his private family residence in 1904-1905.

 

The building features a Y-shaped hipped copper-clad canopy with clean lines and cantilevered ends over the fuel pumps, which are uniquely suspended from the canopy itself and made of glass and copper, with the design of the fuel pumps having never been fully developed, and being built primarily based on a preliminary concept. The roof is punctured by two copper spires that run up from the ground and terminate at pyramidal pinnacles, with a sign displaying the word “Tydol” being suspended between the two columns in highly stylized lettering, with the design of this sign having been very preliminary, and often difficult to read, being a result of Wright’s alleged dissatisfaction with the company’s existing logo and signage. The canopy is also penetrated by a portion of the filling station attendant and lounge building, which features a low-slope roof with three segments at two different heights, enclosed by parapets. Underneath the rear portion of the Y-shaped canopy is the filling station’s attendant and lounge building, which was meant to house quarters for the filling station attendant, as well as a lounge and restrooms for customers, with these spaces being furnished and featuring actual plumbing fixtures and furniture of the type that would have been found in the building had it been built in 1927. The building has multiple tiers, with the lower tier being larger and offset from the exterior of the upper tier, which itself is offset somewhat from the elements that penetrate the canopy above and run to the roofline. The lounge, located on the second floor, features a ribbon window that runs around the front and terminates at doorways on either side, with a large planter on the rooftop of the wider lower tier below. The lower tier has the base of the two spires at the end corners of the front of the structure, with doors to the lower level attendant quarters sitting next to the spire bases. Access to the upper level is granted by stairs that broaden towards the base and bend 90 degrees in the middle. The building features vertical windows in the rear, which were designed to allow light into the upstairs restrooms. The rear of the building features a staircase receding into the ground, which provides access to an additional door to the attendant quarters. The entire building is made up of elements at 90-degree and 45-degree angles in plan, with the exception of the canopy’s hipped roof and the vertical profiles of the two spires. Due to the preliminary nature of the source material, some elements remain unresolved or had to be inferred, including the gas pumps, how the sign was to be mounted to the spires, fixtures and furnishings inside the building, and what type of doors and windows were to be used.

 

The building sits in the middle of several on-display cars and the collection of the museum, which features cars dating between 1903 and the 1960s, with several examples of automobiles manufactured in Buffalo by the Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company, as well as bicycles, fuel pumps, automobile memorabilia, horse-drawn carriages, and motorcycles. The filling station is the centerpiece of the museum’s expansion, and faithfully tried to recreate Wright’s intentions, one of several examples of this in the Buffalo region, with the Fontana Boathouse and Blue Sky Mausoleum both being built around the same time, along with the reconstruction of the lost sections of the Darwin D. Martin House. Additionally, a single Wright-designed filling station was built in Cloquet, Minnesota in 1958 during Wright’s lifetime, which was one of the last commissions of his career, and does share several common design and stylistic elements with this earlier design.

THSD Farewell Tour

August 20.2010

London Music Hall, London, ON

www.myspace.com/wearestructures

Experiments with spatial structure by J. Mayer. H.

Exhibition 'Rapport' at Berlinische Galerie, 16.09.2011–09.04.2012. Germany.

 

www.berlinischegalerie.de/en/exhibitions/archives/2012/j-...

At first sight the Riga Circus building looks simple, but in fact, it is able to withstand very high loads that is important for complex circus performances. It was provided in 1888 by building an originally constructed dome; the supports of structures and the auditorium are made of railroad tracks. It was something unseen, and the statutory auditors caring for safety wrote in the records - only new tracks should be used! Talented architect and innovator Janis Friedrich Baumanis and a whizz-kid enterpreneur Albert Salamonsky (he already had his circus in Berlin and Moscow) was a good tandem for one of Europe's oldest circus buildings to be constructed within one year.

October 13, 2011:

DSC_201105551

Mississauga,

Commuter Rail System,

Metrolinx (Greater Golden Horseshoe Regional Transit System),

Metrolinx Construction,

GO Transit,

GOT Lakeshore West Line,

GOT Stations,

Clarkson GO Station Redevelopment + 8s Parking Structure,

Clarkson GO Station,

Crews build the roof of the underground station structure at Arbutus Station. This photo shows this section of roof just before concrete was poured.

You COULD take the stairs to get up there, but why pass on the freakin' awesome escalator?

Arfak Mountains, Irian Jaya/ West Papua, New Guinea

a study in lines, planes and shapes.

1 2 ••• 36 37 39 41 42 ••• 79 80