View allAll Photos Tagged Retainer

Isolated dental retainers in brown background. Fotografía de Gema Ibarra. Prohibida su utilización para cualquier uso sin autorización.Todos los derechos reservados.

Carved Ivory. Japanese. British Museum, London, UK.

2020 The Addams Family figures from the Computer Generated Animated Cartoon - Thing - Morticia - Gomez - Addams Family inspired by Charles Chas Addams - not sure it's the best character design - cartoon cartoonist Eccentric holiday Evil creature monster Frankenstein like valet servant retainer manservant nanny domestic portrait NYC Comic Con New York city June 10/14/2020 animation poster theater theatre

Got graffiti? I spotted Spongebob Squarepants' friend Squidward on the wall.

B601 is recommended for High Strength securing with temperatures up to 150C. B601 is a medium viscosity retainer of high strength dealing with gaps of 0.15 mm. B601 is used for securing all types of cylindrical parts, such as bearings, gears, splines, pulleys, keyways, set screws suitable for press fits or slip fits. B601 reduces fatigue life by eliminating stresses in the assembly.

 

Properties

▪ Colour : Green

▪ Strength: High

▪ Static shear strength: 20 N/mm²

▪ Service temperature range: -55°C - +150°C

▪ Viscosity Brookfield : 125cps

▪ Gap Fill : 0.15mm

Stubbs Orthodontics 929 Oakfield Drive, Brandon, FL 33511 (813) 284-3718 www.stubbsorthodontics.com

   

fescor contestant mr&miss saudi arabia 2009

My most recent DIY retainers. These actually fit quite well but still weren't very smoothly polished on the inside.

Remove retainers for trunk rear trim, remove trunk rear trim piece

Lisa Loring as Wednesday Addams and Ken Weatherwax as Pugsley Addams - Addams Family Card Game by Milton Bradley from 1965 Vintage Halloween the 1960s - Charles Chas Addams cartoon cartoonist Eccentric holiday Evil creature monster Frankenstein like mask costume creatures vamp undead patchwork man monsters toy toys valet servant retainer manservant nanny domestic rubber alligator crocodile portrait mace doll Marie Antoinette

A sample of our new gabion retainer wall system. It creates a stunning clean line look

My most recent DIY retainers. These actually fit quite well but still weren't very smoothly polished on the inside.

This stone wall in Frisco, Texas is constructed out of random cobble ledge stone with a flagstone cap.

 

www.customstonedallastx.com

Chinese retainers behind. Vintage China?

Brent shows off his retainer.

 

Strobist info: SB-900 M 1/2 with diffuser down and diffuser dome on mounted to lay on the umbrella shaft of a white Impact 60" inch umbrella with black backing on. Umbrella directly infront and above the model. Triggered by pop up flash in commander mode with IR pass through filter in front.

1/100 sec at f/7.1 ISO 200 with "Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AFD" at 50 mm focal length on a Nikon D80

Wolvesey Castle, Old Bishop's Palace, The castle was created by Henry of Blois in 1141 by linking the two Norman halls with a curtain wall which would have finally obliterated any remaining parts of the Anglo-Saxon palace. It was the scene for the Rout of Winchester in which the Empress Matilda assaulted the castle later in 1141, during the period of civil war known as The Anarchy. It was the castle's first and only siege, when it was held for Stephen by the retainers of Bishop Henry. The besieged defenders of Wolvesey burnt with fireballs all the houses of the city which were too near the enceinte and gave cover to the enemy.

Most of the old town of Winchester was destroyed. Empress Matilda's forces were held off for three weeks (August - September, 1141) until Stephen's wife, Matilda, arrived with reinforcements from London. Henry II is said to have slighted Wolvesey after the death of Bishop Henry in 1171. This did not include the destruction of the residential quarters as many later occupants of the see of Winchester dwelled there in high state. But the gate and portcullis were likely removed and some breaches made in the curtain. It was once a very important building, and was the location on 25 July 1554 of the wedding breakfast of Queen Mary and Philip II of Spain. The castle was destroyed by Roundheads during the English Civil War in 1646. The chapel is the only considerable remnant of the south range of the castle, and is still in use, being attached to the palace.

The extensive surviving ruins are currently owned and maintained by English Heritage. The castle has had Grade I listed status since 24 March 1950, as has the palace located on the same site. A fair amount of the curtain wall remains, but nearly all the inner arrangements are gone, though it is possible to make out the hall, in which there is a good round arch and one surviving Norman window.

 

Winchester Castle is a medieval building in Hampshire, England. It was founded in 1067. Only the Great Hall still stands; it houses a museum of the history of Winchester. The Great Hall, one of the finest surviving aisled halls of the 13th century”, contains the greatest symbol of medieval mythology, King Arthur’s Round Table, and is all that now remains of Winchester Castle.Come and see the iconic Round Table of Arthurian legend that has dominated Winchester’s ancient Great Hall for centuries. This is one of the finest surviving examples of a 13th century aisled hall and is an enhancement of the original Winchester Castle built by William the Conqueror. Discover the history and uncover the battles, secrets and trials for terrorism and treason held here.

Around AD70 the Romans constructed a massive earth rampart 800 ft (240 m) long and 200 ft (61 m) wide. On top of this they built a fort to protect the city of Venta Belgarum. This site was chosen by William the Conqueror as the site of one of the first Norman castles in England. The castle was built in 1067 and for over one hundred years it was the seat of Government of the Norman Kings. Henry II built a stone keep to house the royal treasury and the Domesday Book. A round tower from the original castle complete with sally ports is still visible. In 1141, during The Anarchy, forces of the Empress Matilda were besieged by the forces of King Stephen at the castle.

 

Winchester College is an independent boarding school for boys in the British public school tradition, situated in Winchester, Hampshire. It has existed in its present location for over 600 years. It is the oldest of the original seven English public schools defined by the Clarendon Commission and regulated by the Public Schools Act 1868.

Winchester College was founded in 1382 by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester and Chancellor to both Edward III and Richard II, and the first 70 poor scholars entered the school in 1394. It was founded in conjunction with New College, Oxford, for which it was designed to act as a feeder: the buildings of both colleges were designed by master mason William Wynford. This double foundation was the model for Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, some 50 years later, and for Westminster School, Christ Church, Oxford, and Trinity College, Cambridge, in Tudor times.

In addition to the 70 scholars and 16 "Quiristers" (choristers), the statutes provided for ten "noble Commoners". These Commoners ("Commoners in Collegio") were paying guests of the Headmaster or Second Master in his official apartments in College. Other paying pupils ("Commoners extra Collegium"), either guests of one of the Masters in his private house or living in lodgings in town, grew in numbers till the late 18th century, when they were all required to live in "Old Commoners" and town boarding was banned. In the 19th century this was replaced by "New Commoners", and the numbers fluctuated between 70 and 130: the new building was compared unfavourably to a workhouse, and as it was built over an underground stream, epidemics of typhus and malaria were common.

Founded in 1382 Winchester College is believed to be the oldest continuously running school in the country. Our guided tours concentrate on the mediaeval heart of the College, and include Chamber Court; the 14th century Gothic Chapel, with one of the earliest examples of a wooden vaulted roof; College Hall, the original Scholars' dining room; School, the seventeenth century redbrick schoolroom and the original mediaeval cloister.Open: For individuals and small groups, walk in tours last approximately one hour and are available throughout the year. Group tours for parties of 10+ must be booked at least one month in advance.

This outdoor fire pit in Flowermound, Texas is constructed entirely out of natural stone and provides an additional destination spot for mingling in this backyard area.

 

www.customstonedallastx.com

Remove retainers for trunk rear trim, remove trunk rear trim piece

The "Queen of Hearts" in 'her' carriage with 'her' retainers at the Parade.

Matsusaka Castle was built in 1588 by Gamō Ujisato (1556-1595), who was a senior retainer of Oda Nobunaga and then later served Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Ujisato was quick to understand the benefits of Nobunaga’s economic policies and turned Matsusaka into a magnet for merchants with free trade policies and other incentives. Mitsui Takatoshi (1622-1694), founder of what has become today’s powerful Mitsui conglomerate, was from Matsusaka and opened a kimono shop in Edo (now Tokyo) in 1673. The kimono shop was the forerunner of today’s Mitsukoshi department store.

 

And Matsusaka Castle served as a major strongpoint along the Ise Road that connected the Grand Shrine of Ise to the Tōkaidō Road- Japan’s main medieval transportation artery. During the Edo Period, Matsusaka was under the control of the Kishū Tokugawa clan. The strength of the castle is evident in its impressive stone walls, which survive intact. Unfortunately, the castle’s keep was destroyed as the result of a typhoon in 1644. The castle was abandoned in 1871 when control of all castles was transferred to the Meiji government. Matsusaka Castle’s main palace was lost to fire in 1877, and the rest of the buildings were razed in 1881. But again, the walls are still intact and if you are fan of Japanese Castle stonework, then Matsusaka Castle is a must visit site.

Our friends came over for dinner. Since nothing is safe around my camera......

A closer view of that retaining wall on the slopes of Mt Goto.

Original shaft retainer is missing, Andy made a new one. Understand he made two.

.

DSC_0002SCGCr May 17, 2013

Reclaimed granite slope curb, typically +/- 5” X 12” X variable length. Named for its primary use… slope retainers, along off-ramps and on-ramps. This material can be also used as vertical driveway curb, patio and garden edging, patio and driveway pavers. Also, great as wall building material, driveway aprons, and steps. Environmentally friendly/recycled. Better and longer lasting substitute than concrete or wood products

certain things make a person who they are. all their lives. i have retainers, i'm a dork.

My gorgeous daughter goofing for the camera.

 

(she is 10)

There is no way to get a side grip on the retainer, and it doesn't have spanner slots, so I cut a piece of rubber matting that you put under things to keep them from sliding. Using a cap from a plastic bottle that was the right size, I was able to remove the retainer.

I got ahead of myself here. This can wait until after you remove the element housing. But I don't see another screw like this. Must be hidden under the housing.

Mike's retainer kills me.

 

In the five days between the end of the 2013 Epcot Flower and Garden Festival and when I was back in Epcot this past Friday, most of the flower and topiary displays had already been removed. However, this main Monster's University topiary remains as you enter World Showcase. I wonder if this one will stay up through the summer to help promote the movie?

 

Thanks for taking a look!

These are the grave stones of the 47 (actually 46) ronin who were immortalized in Japanese history when they committed the ultimate act of loyalty to their deceased master. Asano Naganori was the lord of the Ako domain which is located in what is now Hyogo prefecture. During a visit to Edo castle, Asano was insulted by remarks made by Kira Yoshinaka which enraged him to the point where he slashed at Kira with his short sword/dagger. The result was that Asano was forced to committ seppuku for behaving in such a manner inside the castle (the spot inside the castle grounds can be seen in another photo). This left the Ako retainers with no job, basically. Many of them, under the leadership of Oishi Kuranosuke, planned revenge against Kira. To make a long story short, forty-seven of them ambushed Kira and killed him. After bringing the head of Kira to the grave of their master, they turned themselves in to authorities. The end result was that they were sentenced to committ seppuku under the charge of an illegal vendetta.

 

Sengaku-ji is not only important as part of the Chushingura story, but it was one of the three main temples of Edo during the reign of the Tokugawa shoguns. It was originally built by Ieyasu in 1612 and rebuilt after being destroyed by fires.

 

Sengaku-ji. Minato-ku, Tokyo.

Reclaimed granite slope curb, typically +/- 5” X 12” X variable length. Named for its primary use… slope retainers, along off-ramps and on-ramps. This material can be also used as vertical driveway curb, patio and garden edging, patio and driveway pavers. Also, great as wall building material, driveway aprons, and steps. Environmentally friendly/recycled. Better and longer lasting substitute than concrete or wood products

Reclaimed granite slope curb, typically +/- 5” X 12” X variable length. Named for its primary use… slope retainers, along off-ramps and on-ramps. This material can be also used as vertical driveway curb, patio and garden edging, patio and driveway pavers. Also, great as wall building material, driveway aprons, and steps. Environmentally friendly/recycled. Better and longer lasting substitute than concrete or wood products

Shutter cover locking retainer in open position. You can see the three tiny screws that hold the aperture indicator ring in place.

 

This step and the following actions can be delayed until you have the shutter assembly out of the camera.

This was the site of the main castle belonging to Uesugi Kenshin.

 

Uesugi Kenshin (1530-1578) was born the youngest son of Nagao Tamekage, an important retainer of the Uesugi clan. Following a major victory over the rival Hōjō clan which had invaded Uesugi territory, the gifted and ambitious young general found himself being adopted into the Uesugi clan and propelled to its top leadership position and ruler of Echigo Province. Over the course of his lifetime, Kenshin fought in 70 major battles against the Takeda, the Hōjō and Oda Nobunaga and was gained a reputation as one of the best generals of his time. It is for this reason that he was later given the nickname the Dragon of Echigo. As he was preparing for a major campaign against Oda Nobunaga, Kenshin suddenly became ill and died shortly afterwards. Until the point of his illness he had been in good health, despite being a relatively heavy drinker. Kenshin’s death was Nobunaga’s gain, as his forces started pushing deeper into Uesugi territory, taking advantage of the fact that Kenshin’s two adopted sons had started a civil war within the clan. Unfortunately for Nobunaga, he was assassinated in 1582, just as he had Kenshin’s surviving son, Kagekatsu, on the ropes. Nobunaga’s successor, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, brought Kagekatsu into his fold of allies and later asked Kagekatsu to move to the domain of Aizu, to help better ring in Tokugawa Ieyasu. Unfortunately for Kagekatsu, after Japan plunged back into civil war upon the death of Hideyoshi, he allied himself with Ishida Mitsunari against the Tokugawa and lost. For this, the Uesugi were forced to move to the much smaller fief of Yonezawa, which was a big blow to the pride, wealth and prestige of the once mighty Uesugi clan. Throughout the Edo period, the Uesugi were never to play a prominent role in much of anything—although gaining a slight notoriety for the part the clan and its daimyo played in the 47 Ronin Incident of 1701-1703.

Aboriginal History of Wilcannia:

 

Wilcannia is located on the Darling River, about halfway between Bourke and Wentworth. The river is known as Barka by the local Aboriginal people or Barkandji, literally people belonging to the Barka, and it is surrounded on all sides by Barkandji speaking people. The people from along the Barka and varying distances either side from near Bourke down to Wentworth all recognised the Barkandji language as their primary language, but they were divided into subgroups with different dialects of this one language. The Barkandji language is very different from all the neighbouring languages including the adjoining Ngiyampaa/Ngemba to the east, the Kulin, and Murray River languages to the south, and the Yardli and Thura-Yura language groups to the west and north.

 

Barkandji have a unique culture and depended heavily on the grinding or pounding of seeds on large grinding dishes or mortars and pestles, such as grass, portulaca, and acacia seeds. In the riverine areas, there is a strong emphasis on aquatic plant food tubers and corms, and fish, yabbies, turtles, mussels, and shrimps as well as water birds and their eggs. Insect foods were also important, such as parti or witchetty grubs along the rivers and creeks, and termite larvae in the Mallee country. Large and small canoes were cut out, necessitating ground edge axes, and string manufacture for fish nets, hunting nets, bags, and belts was an important part of the culture. The Wilcannia area still shows tangible evidence of traditional life in the form of canoe trees, coolamon trees, middens, heat retainer ovens, ashy deposits, stone tool quarries and artefacts.

 

Thomas Mitchell led the first exploring party to reach Wilcannia and gave the Barkandji their first unpleasant taste of what was to come. Mitchell travelled via the Bogan to the Darling River near Bourke and then down the river to Wilcannia then Menindee, reaching it in July 1835. Mitchell was harassed by Barkandji as he did not understand that he had to properly negotiate permission for use of water, grass, land to camp on etc., and in addition his men were abusing women behind his back and breaking all the rules. He gave them names such as the Fire Eaters and the Spitting Tribe as they tried to warn him off. His comments show that the Barkandji groups he met occupied "different portions of the river", and that they owned the resources in their territories including the water in the river. The exclusive possession enjoyed by the Barkandji and the need to obtain permission before using any of their resources is demonstrated by the following comment about the "Spitting Tribe" from the river near Wilcannia:

 

"The Spitting Tribe desired our men to pour out the water from their buckets, as if it had belonged to them; digging, at the same time a hole in the ground to receive it when poured out; and I have more than once seen a river chief, on receiving a tomahawk, point to the stream and signify that we were then at liberty to take water from it, so strongly were they possessed with the notion that the water was their own"

 

A hill 15 kilometres north of Wilcannia was named Mount Murchison by Mitchell and this became the name of the very large original station that included the location that was to become Wilcannia township.

 

In 1862 the area northwest of Mount Murchison Station was still frontier country with continual conflict. Frederic Bonney was based at Mount Murchison homestead and then nearby Momba homestead from 1865 to 1881 and he bluntly states in his notebooks that in this period "natives killed by settlers - shot like dogs"

 

Bonney recorded extensive detail about the lives, language, culture, and personalities of the Aboriginal people at Mount Murchison/Momba and left us with extremely significant series of photos of Aboriginal people taken in this period. He does not elaborate about the way the station was set up except for his comment above. Frederic Bonney not only respected and looked after the local people but he sympathised with them, worked with them, and respected them. The Bonney papers and photographs are a treasure of information about the Aboriginal people living there between 1865 and 1881. Bonney published a paper in 1884 but long after he had returned to England to live he campaigned for the better treatment of the Aboriginal people, and he tried to educate the public about the complexity of Aboriginal culture.

 

Bonney names about 44 individual Aboriginal people living at Momba in this period, and one group photo from the same period shows a total of 38 people. Descendants of some of the people Bonney describes still live in Wilcannia and surrounding areas today.

 

Aboriginal people worked on Moomba and Mount Murchison Station, and from very early times fringe camps grew up around Wilcannia. The land straight across the River from the Wilcannia post office was gazetted as an Aboriginal Reserve, and this became the nucleus of a very large fringe camp that grew into a substantial settlement spaced out along the river bank in the 1930s to the 1970s. By 1953 the Aboriginal Welfare Board had built a series of 14 barrack-like and inappropriately designed houses in an enlarged reserve, now an attractive tree lined settlement known as the Mission (although never a mission it was beside a Catholic School and clinic, thus the name). Today Aboriginal people are the majority of the population of the vibrant, creative, and culturally active town of Wilcannia, and the main users of the post office facilities.

 

Wilcannia History:

 

The first secure pastoralists at Mount Murchison were the brothers Hugh and Bushby Jamieson of Mildura Station on the Murray, who in 1856 took up Tallandra and Moorabin blocks, later extended with other blocks and named Mount Murchison Station. Captain Cadell's paddlesteamer Albury was the first to travel up the Darling, landing flour and other stores for the Jamiesons at Mount Murchison in February 1859. The Albury then loaded 100 bales of wool from their woolshed and brought it down to Adelaide. At this time there were no other stations on the Darling between Mt Murchison and Fort Bourke. A little later:

 

"An enterprising attempt has just been made by Mr. Hugh Jamieson, of Mount Murchison, to bring fat sheep speedily to Adelaide. Mr. Jamieson having chartered Captain Cadell's steamer, Albury, that vessel was prepared, and received on board at Mildura 550 fine fat sheep. These were landed at Moorundee last Tuesday, after a rapid passage of two days, all the sheep being in splendid condition when put ashore"

 

Jamiesons sold in 1864 to Robert Barr Smith and Ross Reid from Adelaide. The brothers Edward and Frederic Bonney were leasing some adjacent blocks and possibly worked at Mount Murchison for these owners. In 1875 they bought the Mount Murchison/Momba complex, one of the largest stations in New South Wale. In 1865 it was known as Mount Murchison, in 1881 it was all known as Momba, later splitting into smaller stations. The original Mount Murchison Station homestead block was also known as Head Station or Karannia, the Barkandji name for the area just north of the town near where the Paroo River comes into the Barka. The original Mount Murchison woolshed was located on what is now Baker Park, Wilcannia, which is adjacent to the current Post Office.

 

The site of Wilcannia was selected on Mount Murchison Station in 1864 by John Chadwick Woore, who was appointed Commissioner of Crown Lands of the Albert District in 1863 and was based at Wilcannia. The town was proclaimed in 1866 and in the 1870s it became a coaching centre for prospectors exploiting the region's gold, copper, silver, and opal resources, and the administrative, service, and shipping centre for the pastoral industry. Wilcannia was incorporated as a municipality in 1881, and around this time it became New South Wales biggest inland port and Australia's third largest inland port (after Echuca Victoria and Morgan South Australia). 'The Queen of the River' or 'Queen City of the West'. At the height of its prosperity around 1880, the town boasted a population of 3,000. According to the Register of the National Estate, during 1887 alone, 222 steamers took on 26,550 tonnes of wool and other goods at Wilcannia wharves. The value of goods coming down the Darling River in 1884 was 1,359,786 pounds, and included over 30,000 bales of wool. The customs house, another Wilcannia stone building now demolished, located immediately between the Post office and the river bank and wharfs, took 17,544 pounds in customs duties in 1889. Paddlesteamers gradually declined, particularly after the 1920s, although a few continued to trade up and down the river into the 1940's, still remembered by elderly Wilcannia residents.

 

Wilcannia in the 1870s and into the 1900s was the centre of the pastoral and mining boom of the far west of New South Wales, and it was the centre of the paddlesteamer river trade from the Upper Darling to the Murray River and outlets such as Adelaide and Melbourne. The frequent dry seasons and lack of water in the river led to other methods of transporting goods being used, such as camel trains, but when the water came down the river trade always returned. The river trade built Wilcannia's fine buildings, but it was also its undoing, as the New South Wales government intervened to reduce the river trade because goods were moving to and from Adelaide and Melbourne, not Sydney.

 

Plans to improve navigation on the river were suggested in 1859 after Captain Cadell's first successful voyage up the Darling that was followed by other paddlesteamers. Cadell gave evidence at a New South Wales Select Committee that the Darling would be become reliable for boats if a system of locks were built at very reasonable cost that would hold back water during the drier seasons. The plans to build locks along the Darling River to make navigation more consistent were investigated again and again, but were not realised because the New South Wales government believed trade would benefit Victoria and South Australia.

 

After the opening of the Sydney to Bourke railway line in 1885, Wilcannia lost its status as the major commercial centre of the Darling River. The trade from the far North West New South Wales then tended to go to the railhead at Bourke and straight to Sydney. There were plans in the 1880s for the railway to be run from Cobar to Wilcannia, however this plan was continuously put off. Plans for a railway to Wilcannia continued to be made throughout the 1890's and early 1900's, and including a proposal from Cobar to Broken Hill then linking to South Australia as the Great Western Railway. In 1907 "a large petition was forwarded to Sydney from Wilcannia for presentation to the Premier urging immediate construction of the Cobar-Wilcannia Railway, and subsequent extension to Broken Hill".

 

The New South Wales government attempt to stop trade leaking out of the state resulted in their refusal to build a railway to Wilcannia (as goods tended to go to Wilcannia and down the river), or to extend the railway to South Australia for the same reasons. The bend in the river on the north side of town celebrates this government intransigence by its name "Iron Pole Bend", the iron pole said to have been placed at the surveyed location of the proposed railway bridge. New South Wales eventually built a railway through the low population Ivanhoe route to the south of Wilcannia reaching Broken Hill in 1927, and even then it stopped at Broken Hill and did not join the South Australian line until 1970. The link between Broken Hill and the South Australian railway was provided from 1884 to 1970 by the narrow gauge private railway 'the Silverton Tramway', which also took trade from Wilcannia.

 

The combination of missing out on the railway and locking of the river, the severe drought on 1900 - 1901, and the damage to the pastoral economy by drought, rabbits, and over grazing, led to a down turn in Wilcannia's prospects, leaving the fine stone buildings such as the post office languishing as tangible reminders of a time when Wilcannia was known as the "Queen City of the West" and was the largest inland port in New South Wales and the third largest inland port in Australia.

 

Post Office History:

 

During the 1850s, postal services became more regular, and the great colonial investment in postal infrastructure was underway. From the 1850s, each major rural centre had a postmaster of its own as the post office became a symbol of the presence of civilisation in many outback towns. Government architects built substantial post offices in provincial towns as statements of the authority and presence of the government. The original Wilcannia Post Office was established in 1860 under the name of Mount Murchison, the name was later officially changed to Wilcannia in 1868.

 

The Wilcannia Post Office and Post Master's Residence were designed by the Colonial Architect James Barnet, the signed plan being forwarded to Wilcannia in 1878. The Post Office and Residence were part of an official precinct in Wilcannia, with the courthouse (1880), gaol (1880), and police residence (1880) built across the road and one block south. In 1876 £1,500 was allocated to the post office project. Tenders were called in August 1878 and the builder D. Baillie accepted to erect the post office, and at the same time as the builder for the Court House, Lock-Up Gaol, and Police buildings.

 

A further £3,100 of consolidated revenue was allocated to the post office and £8,200 to the courthouse and watch house in 1879. By March 1979 the post office was "in course of erection". The complex was completed by 1880, succeeding the post office set up on Mount Murchison Station in 1860 and a second weatherboard building that was used from 1866.

 

James Johnstone Barnet (1827 - 1904) was made acting Colonial Architect in 1862 and appointed Colonial Architect from 1865 - 1890. He was born in Scotland and studied in London under Charles Richardson, RIBA and William Dyce, Professor of Fine Arts at King's College, London. He was strongly influenced by Charles Robert Cockerell, leading classical theorist at the time and by the fine arts, particularly works of painters Claude Lorrain and JRM Turner. He arrived in Sydney in 1854 and worked as a self-employed builder. He served as Edmund Blacket's clerk of works on the foundations of the Randwick (Destitute Childrens') Asylum. Blacket then appointed Barnet as clerk-of-works on the Great Hall at Sydney University. By 1859 he was appointed second clerk of works at the Colonial Architect's Office and in 1861 was Acting Colonial Architect. Thus began a long career. He dominated public architecture in New South Wales, as the longest-serving Colonial Architect in Australian history. Until he resigned in 1890 his office undertook some 12,000 works, Barnet himself designing almost 1000. They included those edifices so vital to promoting communication, the law and safe sea arrivals in colonial Australia. Altogether there were 169 post and telegraph offices, 130 courthouses, 155 police buildings, 110 lockups and 20 lighthouses, including the present Macquarie Lighthouse on South Head, which replaced the earlier one designed by Francis Greenway. Barnet's vision for Sydney is most clearly seen in the Customs House at Circular Quay, the General Post Office in Martin Place, and the Lands Department and Colonial Secretary's Office in Bridge Street. There he applied the classicism he had absorbed in London, with a theatricality which came from his knowledge of art.

 

The substantial two storey attached post office residence faces the main street and more than doubles the size of the complex. This is unusual as Barnet tended to have residences on the first floor of the main building or at the rear. It relates to the remoteness and government determination to make the job attractive to the right post master, a government representative who had to be an honest employee and trusted by this remote community. It consists of four rooms on the ground floor; parlour, sitting room, kitchen, and servant's bedroom, and three bedrooms upstairs, plus various storage rooms, and a central staircase.

 

The new post office became the focal point of town, located in the main street and immediately adjacent to the wharves and customs house. In 1896 the iron bridge with lift span over the Darling River was completed and the east-west highway re-routed to go over the bridge and directly past the post office, from then on located on the busy corner of the main street and the highway. Descriptions include:

 

"the post and telegraph offices, together with the master's residence", are "both a substantial and ornamental piece of architecture"; "the post office is a very neat building indeed" with "white stone which seems to finely glisten among the dark foliage of the river timber"; "The colonnade of the post office is the Exchange of the town, and here all the business men meet daily and discuss the news of the district. Mails do not come in every day but when Her Majesty's mail coach is seen in front of the post-office there may all the people be seen gathered together. The Sydney and Melbourne papers are four days old when they reach Wilcannia, as the town is from 24 to 30 hours coaching from any railway terminus".

 

In 1890 the tender from R. B. Spiers to erect a "verandah and balcony etc" at the Post Office and Telegraph office was accepted, referring to the two storey verandah and balcony at the post office residence and possibly the small verandah on the side of the post office as well. Drawings from 1881 and 1888 show the single storey verandah of the residence, but a photo from 1894 clearly shows the two storey verandah. The two-storey verandah was added in response to the extreme climate, the wooden lined ceilings on both levels are an attempt to prevent the heat from penetrating onto the verandah, north facing wall, and windows. The two storey verandah was probably also designed by Barnet as he held the position of government architect until 1890 and its detail is similar to the 1889 Bourke post office verandah.

 

This Post Office building was in continuous use until 1997 as a post office, telegraph, then telephone exchange, and post master's residence. The post office service was then moved and the complex was used as a residence only until 2002. It became the post office again from 2013 and provides both postal and banking services for the town and surrounding stations.

 

The remoteness of Wilcannia also meant that the central post office performed a range of significant peripheral services, such as posting up government edicts and community notices, weather measurements and warnings, flood warnings and river heights, timetables and pick-up and drop-down place for coaches, mail coaches, and later mail trucks and buses. The mail coaches/mail trucks left the post office for the remote outback laden with mail, newspapers, groceries, spare parts, school lessons for outback children, and travellers (workers, family and friends and even occasionally nurses and church people). Mail coaches/mail trucks played a unique role enabling people to exist in the outback that cannot be underestimated. Mail trucks still operate out of Wilcannia delivering mail and parcels to the remote outback stations.

 

Source: New South Wales Heritage Register.

The Summer weight of mature leaves

and the slowly ripening masts.

Lie heavy on each ancient branch

and the long shadow it casts.

 

MAE

 

First of July so time to visit and photograph this ancient Beech tree in Shireoaks Park, Nottinghamshire.

This fits in a groove in the outer barrel, and has the potential to go flying if you're not careful removing it.

1 2 ••• 15 16 18 20 21 ••• 79 80