View allAll Photos Tagged Navigation

The vertical shaft of light is given off by Bolte Bridge pylon lights in the distance (powerful suckers!).

Infrared of walkers at junction between Wey Navigation and Basingstoke canals.

Park Wharf alongside the Nottingham Canal in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire.

 

The Nottingham Canal was a 23.6 kilometres (14.7 mile) long canal between Langley Mill in Derbyshire and Nottingham, England. It opened in 1796, and most of it was closed in 1937. The southern section is now part of the River Trent Navigation and the northern section is a Local Nature Reserve.

 

The idea for the canal first rose in 1790. The opening of the Cromford Canal would favour coal transport from Pinxton over pits nearer Nottingham. Moreover transport to Nottingham itself was by the circuitous route down the Erewash Canal and along the River Trent. It was also felt that the canal proprietors would exploit their position.

 

The canal would begin at the Cromford Canal, just north of its junction with the Erewash, and proceed to the Trent at Nottingham with a branch to the river at Lenton.

 

In 1792 the canal was promoted through Parliament, opposed vigorously by the Erewash owners who were fearful of possible loss of their water. The canal opened in 1796, having cost twice the initial estimate of £43,500 (£3,620,000 as of 2013), (including the reservoirs).

 

After being at first praised by locals, the canal owners' tolls soon became excessive, and led to mass discontent. When the first railways arrived in the 1840s, a number of shippers quickly abandoned the canals. Throughout the 19th century the canal was in continuous decline as a transport route, and it was finally abandoned altogether in 1936.

 

The following year the London and North Eastern Railway Company which owned it shut down the main stretch of the canal, with a portion of the Nottingham Canal (between Trent and Lenton) being transferred to the Trent Navigation Company, to officially become part of the River Trent Navigation.

 

Although abandoned, the canal still caused some problems. There were complaints that in times of heavy rainfall, the canal caused surrounding areas in the city to flood, and so Nottingham City Council bought the section running through the city. From 1955, a programme of filling in the canal began, and most of the route has subsequently been built over.

 

Mercedes-Benz Tourismo X66ATL 05/02/22

WALNEY LIGHTHOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1790, AND POSITIONED AT HAWS POINT ON THE ISLAND. ITS PURPOSE WAS TO IMPROVE THE NAVIGATION OF THE RIVER LUNE AND ACT AS A GUIDE FOR CARGO SHIPS FROM THE WEST INDIES BOUND FOR THE GLASSON DOCKS. THE LIGHTHOUSE WAS NOT BUILT TO BENEFIT BARROW, AS IT WAS ONLY A SMALL FISHING COMMUNITY AT THIS TIME.

THE LIGHTHOUSE WAS BUILT OF STONE QUARRIED FROM OVERTON IN LANCASHIRE AND TRANSPORTED TO THE SITE BY SHIP. THE OCTAGONAL TOWER IS 70 FEET HIGH AND RESTS ON A CIRCULAR FOUNDATION 20 FEET 6 INCHES IN DIAMETER. THERE ARE 91 STEPS UP TO THE TOP OF THE LIGHTHOUSE. THE ORIGINAL LIGHT WAS AN ARGENT BURNER, A TYPE OF PARAFFIN LAMP.

IN 1909 AN ACETYLENE GASLIGHT SYSTEM WAS INSTALLED WHICH FLASHED AT ONE MINUTE INTERVALS. IN 1953 THIS WAS REPLACED WITH AN ELECTRIC LIGHT WHICH FLASHES AT 15 SECOND INTERVALS. THE NEW LIGHT IS 30 TIMES MORE POWERFUL (450,000 CANDLE POWER) AND HAS A RANGE OF 18 MILES COMPARED TO 13 MILES OF ITS GAS PREDECESSOR. THE ELECTRIC LIGHT WAS FIRST POWERED BY ITS OWN GENERATOR, NOT BEING CONNECTED TO THE NATIONAL GRID UNTIL 1969. THIS GUIDING LIGHT CAN EVEN BE SEEN FROM BLACKPOOL.

ATTACHED TO THE LIGHTHOUSE ARE TWO HOUSES IN WHICH THE KEEPER AND STAFF LIVE. THESE HOUSES WERE ORIGINALLY ONE HOUSE, WHICH WAS BUILT FOR THE FIRST FULL-TIME KEEPER. THE HOUSE WAS DIVIDED INTO TWO IN THE LATE 19TH CENTURY. AT THIS TIME THE LIGHTHOUSE’S ONLY WATER SOURCE CAME FROM THE RAIN AND THE ONLY LIGHTING CAME FROM CANDLES.

DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR, THE HOUSE WAS USED AS AN OFFICERS' MESS WHEN 170 SOLDIERS WERE ENCAMPED AT THE LIGHTHOUSE AS PART OF THE COASTAL DEFENCE NETWORK. IN 1946 14 PRISONERS OF WAR WERE MOVED INTO THE CAMP. THEY DID ODD JOBS AROUND THE LIGHTHOUSE IN RETURN FOR CIGARETTES AND FOOD. THE REMAINS OF THE BARRACKS ARE STILL VISIBLE.

TODAY THE LIGHTHOUSE IS RUN BY THE PORT OF LANCASTER COMMISSIONERS AND CONTAINS A RADIO BEACON FOR TRINITY HOUSE, FORMING A MAJOR LINK IN THE BRITISH COASTGUARD SYSTEM. ALTHOUGH THE LIGHTHOUSE IS NO LONGER OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, IT CAN BE VIEWED FROM THE OUTSIDE.

 

Cruise Liner "Norwegian Jade"

 

Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 135mm f/2.8 @ ~f/4

through Novoflex Minolta SR - Fuji X-Mount adapter

on Fujifilm X-E1

 

Check my album Adapted Manual Lenses for more...

Tower No. 2, used by ships as a nautical mile course for the calibration of navigational instruments, is called out specifically in the National Register nomination as the Torrey Pines Gliderport's oldest surviving contributing structure of the pre-WWII Era. A triangular beacon and steel ladder design, Tower No. 2 remains in its original location and essentially unchanged since 1930. Its proposed disassembly would have an undeniably negative impact on the historic site.

Godalming Navigation near Unstead Lock

BAMORAL at her winter lay-up berth on Prince's Wharfe outside of M Shed in Bristol Docks. 1991 was the final season that she operated in all white livery before going through several changes before adopting that of P&A Campbell White Funnel Fleet.

 

Camera: Contax RTSII + Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.7 Planar lens

 

For more 35mm Archive photographs of the Waverley Steam Navigation Company please click here: www.jhluxton.com/The-35mm-Film-Archive/Ships-Shipping-Com...

Navigational watch. Halls Harbour , N.S. Canada

A once typical view in South Wales of another set of empty HAA hoppers arriving at Deep Navigation Colliery for loading. Railfreight Power Station Coal Class 37/7 37896 (37231) eases through the loading pad area to run round its train. The MGR was the 6C91 SX Y 14:44 from Aberthaw Power Station.

Ocean/Deep Navigation was one of British Coal's last South Wales dry steam coal collieries and had ceased lifting coal on 22nd March and closed completely on 29th March 1991. Surface coal stocks took several months to clear thereafter.

 

All images on this site are exclusive property and may not be copied, downloaded, reproduced, transmitted, manipulated or used in any way without expressed written permission of the photographer. All rights reserved – Copyright Don Gatehouse

Navigation Road, with tram for Manchester (Etihad Campus) on the left, and the 13.44 Chester on the right.

Walsham Weir on the Wey Navigation

~ Our "eat the pic“ bookstore opened with some great picture books - check it out ~ Follow us on Facebook ~

 

Captured with a manual Nikkor 135 mm ƒ1:2.8 on my Nikon Df, post processed in Lightroom using VSCO Film Pack.

Kugelbake, near Cuxhaven, North Sea

Photographed the stars outside the Lower Navigation Colliery.

The Stroudwater Navigation near Stonehouse.

This is one of the beacons throughout the UK that I maintain, this one mainly serves Heathrow.

 

Aircraft coming in to land are frequently held in holding stacks. Aircraft usually come into a holding stack where they fly in an oval pattern to wait for a landing slot. From the holding stack they follow a set of instructions issued by air traffic controllers (ATC). These instructions direct the aircraft towards the final approach.

 

Aircraft circle at different levels within the stacks until there is space for them to land into Heathrow. The levels are separated by 1,000ft, and the lowest level (i.e. the bottom of the stack) is around 7,000ft.

 

There are four holding stacks at Heathrow, known as ‘Bovingdon’, ‘Lambourne’, ‘Biggin’ and this one, ‘Ockham’. The locations of the stacks have been the same since the 1960s.

 

Aircraft enter the stack, circle and descend. When they leave the stack they are directed by ATC onto the final approach to land at Heathrow. The controllers manage the order of the aircraft from all four stacks and guide them safely onto one of Heathrow’s two runways.

Park Wharf alongside the Nottingham Canal in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire.

 

The Nottingham Canal was a 23.6 kilometres (14.7 mile) long canal between Langley Mill in Derbyshire and Nottingham, England. It opened in 1796, and most of it was closed in 1937. The southern section is now part of the River Trent Navigation and the northern section is a Local Nature Reserve.

 

The idea for the canal first rose in 1790. The opening of the Cromford Canal would favour coal transport from Pinxton over pits nearer Nottingham. Moreover transport to Nottingham itself was by the circuitous route down the Erewash Canal and along the River Trent. It was also felt that the canal proprietors would exploit their position.

 

The canal would begin at the Cromford Canal, just north of its junction with the Erewash, and proceed to the Trent at Nottingham with a branch to the river at Lenton.

 

In 1792 the canal was promoted through Parliament, opposed vigorously by the Erewash owners who were fearful of possible loss of their water. The canal opened in 1796, having cost twice the initial estimate of £43,500 (£3,620,000 as of 2013), (including the reservoirs).

 

After being at first praised by locals, the canal owners' tolls soon became excessive, and led to mass discontent. When the first railways arrived in the 1840s, a number of shippers quickly abandoned the canals. Throughout the 19th century the canal was in continuous decline as a transport route, and it was finally abandoned altogether in 1936.

 

The following year the London and North Eastern Railway Company which owned it shut down the main stretch of the canal, with a portion of the Nottingham Canal (between Trent and Lenton) being transferred to the Trent Navigation Company, to officially become part of the River Trent Navigation.

 

Although abandoned, the canal still caused some problems. There were complaints that in times of heavy rainfall, the canal caused surrounding areas in the city to flood, and so Nottingham City Council bought the section running through the city. From 1955, a programme of filling in the canal began, and most of the route has subsequently been built over.

"Yachting"

 

Saint Mathieu (Finistère - BRETAGNE 2012)

 

Website : www.fluidr.com/photos/pat21

 

"Copyright © – Patrick Bouchenard

The reproduction, publication, modification, transmission or exploitation of any work contained here in for any use, personal or commercial, without my prior written permission is strictly prohibited. All rights reserved."

Sculpture by Thomas Brock, Admiralty Arch"

Papercourt Lock, Wey Navigation

Walsham Gates, Wey Navigation

Pleasant day on the Stort Navigation Canal, near Harlow, Essex.

Navigation ...

The illuminated track diagram in Navigation Road signal box. Saturday 28th January 1989

 

Navigation Crossing signal box was located by the Down Main line alongside Navigation Road level crossing in Altrincham and opened in 1882 replacing an earlier signal box located on the opposite side of Navigation Road level crossing. It was a Saxby & Farmer type 9 design fitted with a 20 lever Saxby & Farmer frame built by signalling the contractors Saxby & Farmer for the Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway. It was renamed Navigation Road in the early 1930s, possibly in conjunction with the opening of Navigation Road railway station 20th July 1931. A replacement 20 lever Railway Executive Committee frame was installed in June 1947 by the London Midland & Scottish Railway Company. The signal box closed on 6th July 1991, control of Navigation Road level crossing passing to Deansgate Junction signal box by means of closed circuit television although the equipment was not commissioned until 22nd July 1991

 

The diagram has a red coloured track circuit on the approach to down main home and up main home signals. A red coloured track circuit indicated the track circuit controlled the block instrument needle indication, a practice that has now ceased

 

Ref no 09493

Devil's Point, Plymouth, Devon

 

Having run round its train of MEA wagons, Class 37/7 37895 eases forward to position the wagons ready for unloading at Deep Navigation Colliery. The 6B17 from Coed Bach Washery was delivering high quality coal from West Wales to be blended for power station consumption at Aberthaw.

 

All images on this site are exclusive property and may not be copied, downloaded, reproduced, transmitted, manipulated or used in any way without expressed written permission of the photographer. All rights reserved – Copyright Don Gatehouse

1 2 ••• 9 10 12 14 15 ••• 79 80