View allAll Photos Tagged HOLYTRINITY
Plaque in memory of Elizabeth, wife of John Hurtle Fisher, who died 2 Jul 1857.
“The lady of the Hon. James Hurtle Fisher, President of the Legislative Council, died yesterday morning. . . Mrs. Fisher was one of our earliest colonists, and was not only respected and beloved by the numerous members of her own family, but by all who were honoured with her intimate acquaintance.” [Register 3 Jul 1857]
Church foundation stone 26 Jan 1838 by Governor Hindmarsh, opened Aug 1838. Building closed 1 Dec 1844, walls & tower having cracked dangerously and congregation moved to St John’s, Halifax St, re-opened 10 Aug 1845. Named as pro-cathedral with arrival of Bishop Short 1847, consecrated Jul 1848. New schoolroom opened Sep 1887. Worship in schoolroom while church enlarged & renovated 1888-89, architect Edward John Woods, walls raised 4-5 feet, tower also raised, new stone darker than original limestone from quarry behind Government House.
Church foundation stone 26 Jan 1838 by Governor Hindmarsh, opened Aug 1838. Building closed 1 Dec 1844, walls & tower having cracked dangerously and congregation moved to St John’s, Halifax St, re-opened 10 Aug 1845. Named as pro-cathedral with arrival of Bishop Short 1847, consecrated Jul 1848. New schoolroom opened Sep 1887. Worship in schoolroom while church enlarged & renovated 1888-89, architect Edward John Woods, walls raised 4-5 feet, tower also raised, new stone darker than original limestone from quarry behind Government House.
Except for the window at the extreme right of the picture, the North side windows were given by the Wilcock family of Ryecroft Farm. Each incorporates the emblem of a diocese of which Downall Green has historically been or is currently a part: (from left to right) York, Lichfield, Chester and Liverpool. A dedication at the bottom of the “Chester” window reads as follows:
“The four North Aisle Windows \ are to the memory of Mary, \ John, and Alice Wilcock, and \ were presented by the family.”
Photograph taken on 22 June 2022.
Holy Trinity, Micklegate, York.
Grade l listed.
North Door entrance.
A church has stood on this site for over 900 years. The first was reduced to rubble during the Norman Conquest of 1066. French monks rebuilt the church and established a Benedictine priory here in 1098. Disaster struck when a fire that raged through York in 1137 damaged the church. The priory lost its lands and buildings during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536, but was allowed to continue as a parish church. The stocks from the churchyard dating from the 18th century have been restored and are now on display as part of the Monks of Micklegate exhibition inside the church. A replica of the stocks can be seen as you enter the churchyard.
St Nicholas church built in 1969 / 70 replacing an earlier church of 1915. Most of the furnishings and stained glass in the new church was salvaged from the old.
“Nave has paired lancets between gabled buttresses...”
[From the Historic England Grade II-listing citation at historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/119934...]
Photograph taken on 17 August 2023, showing the exterior gabled buttress between the Eaton (right) and Crompton (left) memorial windows on the South side of the Nave.
Our Lady's Row.
This is the oldest #timberframed building in York (1316) and the #architecturaldetails are named medieval jettied houses due to the floor above protruding from the ground floor.
The Old Gates.
If there is one city where you want it misty with rain it would have to be in York in Britain. Old cobblestones and old gates look better with rain. This picture taken by me in the #gapyear1987 with a picture of the gate that is the entrance to the Holy Trinity Church.